Sony announced the Xperia sola Android smartphone offering innovative floating touch navigation for magic web browsing without touching the screen. Making its smartphone debut exclusively on Xperia sola, Sony's unique floating touch lets consumers navigate the web by hovering their finger above the screen so it acts like a moving curser, without actually having to touch the screen. Once the desired link is found it can be highlighted and a simple tap will load the page. Floating touch will evolve with new user functionality and applications through software updates and engagement with developers.
Xperia sola is NFC enabled and comes with two NFC Xperia SmartTags in the box as standard to simplify consumers' everyday smartphone experiences. By touching an NFC Android smartphone on a SmartTag, a pre-configured profile in the smartphone will launch. The two SmartTags included with Xperia sola can be personalized with up to 10 commands. Out of the box one is ready for the living room to turn on Wi-Fi and launch Google news and weather apps, and the other one for the bedroom, which turns on the alarm and switches to silent mode. Xperia sola supports NFC pairing, allowing consumers to enjoy great connectivity with other NFC smartphones, applications and services by tapping their smartphones together.
Xperia sola boasts razor sharp clarity with a 3.7-inch Reality Display powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine, xLOUD and 3D surround sound audio technology delivering crisp and loud sound, and a 1GHz dual-core processor for super fast performance. Xperia sola also comes with fast capture to take the camera from sleep to snap in a little over a second with a single key press.
Consumers can also access premium entertainment experiences with Sony Entertainment Network, where they can watch the latest Hollywood blockbusters on Video Unlimited or listen to millions of songs through Music Unlimited.
- Floating touch navigation for an easy web browsing experience
- NFC enabled and Xperia SmartTags in the box to enable quick app loading and easy content sharing
- 3.7″ Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine gives razor sharp clarity
- Powered by a 1GHz Dual Core Processor for super fast browsing
- xLOUD and 3D surround sound audio technology for crisp and loud listening
- Direct access to Sony Entertainment Networkwith pre-installed Video and Music Unlimited apps
- Launches on Android platform 2.3, upgrade to Android 4.0 during summer 2012
- Display: 3.7″ Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine (854 x 480 pixels) 16,000,000 color TFT
- Processor: 1 GHz STE U8500 dual-core processor
- Storage: 8 GB internal storage (microSD slot up to 32 GB)
- OS: Google Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), upgradeable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Camera: 5-megapixiel, 16x zoom, 2D and 3D Sweep Panorama, Flash
- Video Recording: 720p HD video
- Networks: Quad EDGE/GSM/GPRS 850, 900, 1800, W-CDMA Band I, II, V and VIII
- Connectivity: DLNA, NFC, Bluetooth, aGPS, Wi-Fi, USB Host
- Talk time GSM: Up to 6 hrs
- Standby time GSM: Up to 470 hrs
- Talk time UMTS: Up to 5 hrs
- Standby time UMTS: Up to 475 hrs
- Music listening time: Up to 40 hrs
- Video playback time: Up to 6 hrs
- Battery: 1320 mAh (built-in) typical, 1265 mAh minimum
- Colors: Black, White, Red
- Size: 116 x 59 x 9.9 mm
- Weight: 107 grams
Price and Availability
The Sony Xperia sola will be available Q2 2012. Check Price. It comes with embedded battery, 2 SmartTags, stereo headset, charger, micro USB cable for charging, synchronisation and file transfer, and user documentation.
Xperia sola will be bought into the Italian market under the name “Sony Xperia sole” and in China P.R. under the name “Sony Xperia MT27i”.