An outstandingly bright, vibrant picture with a 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 2D to 3D up-scaling and an ultra-quiet fan
Sony introduced the VPL-HW50ES home theater front projector, which utilizes Sony’s SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) technology for significantly brighter and sharper full high-definition (Full HD) video, including 3D.
The VPLHW50ES projector also features an Optimized Advanced Iris 3 algorithm and new contrast enhancer technology to give the projector a dynamic contrast ratio of more than 100,000:1. The contrast enhancer works by analyzing each scene and then automatically optimizing contrast in real-time by compensating for dark and bright parts of the image. The brightness of 1,700 lumen is achieved by improving the light efficiency of the lamp. These two enhancements work in concert when a user activates the Bright Cinema or TV Modes; delivering a 30 percent brighter image than the previous model, without sacrificing color reproduction.
Like the VPL-VW1000ES projector, the VPL-HW50ES leverages Sony’s Reality Creation processing which digitally restores information lost during compression from the original content to disc, recreating high quality, sharp, full HD images. In terms of 3D, the combination of Dynamic Lamp Control technology, the integrated 3D transmitter and the 240Hz panel drive provide customers with bright 3D images with reduced crosstalk. Additionally, the projector is also equipped with 2D to 3D conversion functionality to simulate 3D video and pictures using 2D content.
Regarding integration and control, the VPL-HW50ES projector features two-way RS232 and an IR input for seamless integration with third party automation systems. The expanded vertical shift and flexible throw distance make installation simple, while the 144 zone panel alignment and pre calibrated picture modes ensure optimal picture quality.
[youtube id=”ZJ-hstXhNiw” width=”610″ height=”373″]
Price and Availability
The Sony VPL-HW50ES will be available early October 2012 for $3,999 with two 3D glasses and an additional lamp, plus a 3-year warranty.
- Manual zoom/focus/shift
- 1.6x zoom
- Shift range: V: +/- 0.71, H: +/- 0.25
- Recommended Screen sizes = up to 150″ (supports up to 300″)
- Ultra-low fan noise: 21dB
- Zone panel alignment: 144 zones, 1/10 pixel step. Panel alignment ensures a sharp image
- Integrated 3D transmitter
Video Calibration Features
- 2D and 3D picture modes with independent calibration
- New video calibration features 9 gamma settings, black/white level adjustment, and Real Color Processing v2 including luminance adjustment
- 9 picture modes (for 2D and 3D): Dynamic, Standard, Cinema 1-2, Reference, TV, Game, Photo, and Bright Cinema, Bright TV, and User.
- Active 3D ready—supports frame packing, side-by-side, and over-under formats
- Dynamic lamp control for excellent 3D brightness
- 240Hz panel drive for reduced crosstalk
- 2D to 3D upconversion
- Includes two pairs of rechargeable glasses that are optimized for front projection (TDG-PJ1)
- 3D glasses brightness adjustment
- 3D effect adjustment
- Brightness of 1,700 ANSI lumens
- 100,000:1 dynamic contrast
- Full HD 1080p with 3 Silicon X-tal Reflective Display (SXRD) 1920×1080 panels
- Reality Creation super resolution processing.
- MotionflowTM technology with dark frame insertion
- Advanced Auto Iris 3
- Supports Deep Color and x.v.Color
- All-range crisp focus (ARC-F) lens
- Noise reduction—mosquito and block
- 24p True Cinema
- Two HDMI inputs, various analog inputs
- RJ45 jack for optional external 3D transmitter (TMR-PJ2)
- Bi-directional RS232 control
- Control4 Certified/AMX Device Discovery Beacon/Crestron Integration Partner / Savant Partner in Excellence
- IR Input
- Elevated Standard “ES” brand/support
- 3-year warranty
- 28.7 lbs
- 16″ (W) x 7 1/8″ (H) x 18 1/4″ (D)