Sony just announced the PHA-2 High-Resolution Portable DAC/Amplifier, which was conceived to deliver superior sound reproduction from a variety of audio sources. It is the first portable DAC/amplifier to be compatible with virtually every high-resolution digital file format, including up to 192 kHz/24-bit PCM and both DSD (2.8MHz) and Double DSD (5.6MHz). Listeners can also enjoy upgraded sound quality with MP3 files and other music sources.
It features a variety of advanced technologies, including such refinements as an Asynchronous Transport Mode which utilizes a dedicated signal generator to reduce timing errors for more accurate, jitter-free converter performance. It also incorporates a high precision D/A converter, along with such devices as a custom headphone amplifier IC with high slew rate, ultra-low distortion operation; OCL (output capacitor-less) current feedback architecture; plus a dual power supply operation for more stable and accurate reproduction.
All of these select components are enclosed in a durable aluminum chassis which is fully protected from external interference. The PHA-2 headphone amplifier also has a variable gain headphone input that supports a wide range of impedances; as well as Zinc die-cast bumpers to protect the volume control and headphone connector from external shock and vibration.
The PHA-2 can be easily connected to both PC and Mac computers via its USB 2.0 interface, and also includes a dedicated digital input for iPod, iPhone and iPad products. Other portable audio sources such as Android smartphones and digital music players can be connected via the analog audio input. The PHA-2 comes with a built-in Lithium-ion battery which runs up to 6.5 hours with a digital connection and up to 17 hours with an analog connection on a single charge.
- Full Hi-Res audio: PCM 192kHz/24 bit, DSD 2.8/5.6MHz
- Direct Digital Connection for PC and Apple devices
- Enhances non hi-res music sources (via analog input)
- Asynchronous, precision USB clock for superior sound
- Premium DAC with separate operational and headphone amps
- Durable aluminum enclosure with protective alloy bumper
- Selectable gain supports impedances from 8 to 600 Ohm
- Lithium-ion battery for up to 17 hours battery life
- Line-out to connect external amp or active speaker
- Mounting straps, protection sheet and cables included
Price and Availability
The Sony PHA-2 portable headphone DAC/amplifier will be available March 2014 for $599.