Sony just announced what it claims are the world’s smallest 30x optical zoom digital cameras. The two new models include the almost identical looking DSC-WX500 ($330) and DSC-HX90V with built-in EVF ($430). Both new ultra compact cameras offer 18.2-megapixels Exmor R CMOS Sensors, ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lenses, powerful BIONZ X processors and Optical SteadyShot stabilization, making them the ultimate companion for any travel photographer or casual weekend shooter.
The new HX90V model (pictured above) features the same type of high-quality retractable OLED Tru-Finder found on the acclaimed RX100 III model, making it the first truly “pocketable” compact high-zoom camera with a built-in electronic viewfinder. It also includes a variety of adjustable dials and functions including a customizable control ring, and has GPS functionality for automatically tagging photos and videos.
Each of the new cameras also features a high-resolution, 921k dot LCD screen that tilts a full 180 degrees for comfortable arm’s-length portraits or “selfies” and is Wi-Fi / NFC compatible.
Ultra-Compact WX500 Camera w/ 30x Optical Zoom
Available in June 2015 for about $330
- Premium 30x ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* optical zoom lens with 60x “Clear Image” digital zoom capability
- 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS sensor and BIONZ X processor ensure the finest capture details for still images and Full HD videos in all lighting conditions
- Optical SteadyShot with 5-axis image stabilization minimizes effects of camera shake
- 921k dot, 3.0 type LCD screen that tilts a full 180 degrees
- Full HD movie shooting capabilities including high-speed XAVC S format at 50 mbps
- Built-in “pop-up” flash for low-light shooting support
- Compatible with Wi-Fi / NFC for seamless wireless transfer of content and with select Sony PlayMemories Camera apps
The Compact Hi-Zoom HX90V Camera w/ Built-in Retractable EVF adds the following features:
Available in June 2015 for about $430
- Built-in pop-up OLED Tru-Finder EVF w/ high contrast and vivid colors
- GPS functionality
- Customizable control ring
New Cyber-shot Accessories
Sony has also introduced new accessories for its Cyber-shot line including the LCJ-HWA body case and the ECM-CG60 shotgun microphone.
The new body case, compatible with both of the new HX90V and WX500 cameras, features a high-quality black leather-style finish for protection while offering a sure, stable grip. The new CG60 mic attaches to the multi-interface shoe on Sony’s RX camera line to enable crystal clear audio recording during movie shooting.Where to Buy