Palm Centro Debut on the Nation’s Most Reliable Wireless Network Offers Customers a High-Speed Communications Device with Compact Form Factor, Easy Touch-Screen and Full QWERTY Keyboard
Verizon Wireless, builder and operator of the nation’s most reliable wireless network, and Palm, Inc. NASDAQ: PALM, today announced that the Palm Centro smartphone will be available online at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores beginning June 13. Dressed in a crisp cobalt blue, the Centro provides customers with the perfect tool to manage the busiest of lifestyles with voice, text messaging, e-mail and the Web.
Centro runs on Verizon Wireless’ high-speed data network, which gives customers the ability to quickly send and receive e-mail messages and attachments and browse rich Web content. Verizon Wireless customers can also use the Centro as a modem for their laptops when they subscribe to Verizon Wireless’ BroadbandAccess Connect service plan. The handset sports a vibrant color touch-screen, full QWERTY keyboard and a lightweight design.
Centro’s built-in Google Maps application delivers quick, reliable directions and lets users perform local searches and view moveable/scalable maps, satellite imagery and traffic updates. Customers can also map a contact’s address directly from the contact application simply by selecting the “maps” button.
Customers using the stylish Centro will get access to VersaMail 4.0 with built-in Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support for Microsoft Direct Push Technology to deliver e-mail and calendar updates from a home or office PC using Outlook directly to their handsets. Centro users also have the option of using Wireless Sync, Verizon Wireless’ proprietary e-mail solution, for quick and easy access to personal or corporate e-mail, contacts, calendar and tasks from their home or office PC. Wireless Sync supports POP3 or IMAP e-mail accounts and it supports Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Notes and IBM Lotus Domino.
The Palm Centro also includes the following features and capabilities:
- Text, picture and video messaging (text messages are presented to customers in a “chat-style” view so customers can see their entire conversation unfold)
- Superior phone functionality, including one-touch speakerphone and conference calling, the ability to respond to a call with text messaging, and the option to use the touch-screen dial pad Smart, fast Web browsing using the award-winning Blazer browser
- 2x digital zoom camera with video capture
- Media player with Pocket Tunes Deluxe (PlaysForSure-compatible)
- Bluetooth v. 1.2 with support for hands-free car kits and headset profiles
- 64 MB available user storage and microSD memory card slot with support up to 4 GB
- User-friendly, familiar Palm OS 5.4.9, including one-touch access to key applications
- Small, sleek form factor: 2.1″ (l) x 4.2″ (w) x 0.7″ (d)
- 4.2 ounces with battery
- 320 x 320 pixel color touch-screen and full QWERTY keyboard for easier e-mail, messaging and Web use
Pricing and Availability
The Palm Centro smartphone will be available online at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City, for $99.99 after a $70 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers may want to pair their Centro voice plan with Verizon Wireless’ E-mail and Web for Smartphone service for $29.99. This is an unlimited monthly data plan for Web browsing and e-mail support and includes personal e-mail accounts. To tether the Centro to a laptop with a USB cable, customers may opt to include a BroadbandAccess Connect plan in their service package for $30.