DisplaySearch Reports PDP Module Shipments Rise 120% in Q4’05
DisplaySearch, an NPD Group Company and the worldwide leader in display market research and consulting, today announced that Q4’05 PDP module shipments rose 38% Q/Q and 120% Y/Y to a record 2.6 million (M) panels. For the year, PDP shipments rose 101% to 7.15M units. PDP module shipments grew 16% faster than expected despite shortage conditions as panel suppliers stretched their capacity to meet strong demand. With ASPs falling just 2% on tight supply as well as shifts to larger sizes and higher resolutions, PDP module revenues rose 35% Q/Q and 72% Y/Y to a record $2.1 billion (B). For the year, PDP module revenues grew 42% to $6B.
High definition (HD) PDP modules overtook enhanced definition (ED) modules for the first time since Q4’03, earning a 51% share on a unit basis, up from 45% in Q3’05 and 41% in Q4’04. PDP suppliers are optimistic that the HD share will continue to surge as 42″/43″ HD PDP TVs become increasingly affordable, expecting a 64% HD share in Q1’06. In the dominant 42″/43″ size category that accounts for 80% of the total PDP market, the HD share rose from 34% in Q3’05 to 41% in Q4’05, and PDP suppliers are projecting the HD share of this important category to reach 54% in Q1’06 as suppliers and brands significantly shift their emphasis to 42″/43″ HD to capture higher margins and revenues. The number of 42″ ED suppliers is dwindling with just three PDP module suppliers now shipping 42″ ED TV panels compared to five companies producing 42″ HD TV panels.
- Matsushita reclaimed the top position, as expected, as it ramped its new 6-up 42″ fab in Amagasaki and continued to enjoy strong demand from its Panasonic brand, the world’s #1 PDP TV brand. Matsushita last held the top position in Q2’04. As shown in Table 1, its unit share rose from 27% to 28% Q/Q on unit growth of 43% Q/Q and 200% Y/Y. Matsushita led at 37″ ED, 37″ HD and 50″, and it tied for the top spot at 60″-65″ with Pioneer. It also led in total HD and 1080p shipments. Matsushita’s HD allocation exceed 50% for the first time since Q4’03.
- Samsung SDI fell to #2 on lack of capacity growth. Nonetheless, it earned nearly 100% growth at 50″, boosting its ranking at 50″ from #4 to #2. It was also #2 at 42″ ED and HD.
- LGE was close behind Samsung SDI as it ramped its new 6-up 42″ fab. LGE should vie for the top position in Q1’06 as it continues to ramp this facility. LGE continued to lead at 42″ ED.
- FHP enjoyed the highest Q/Q unit growth in Q4’05 at over 70%, due to strong growth at 42″ HD and 55″, and widened its advantage over Pioneer for #3. It overtook Samsung SDI for the top position at 42″/43″ HD and was #2 in total HD share.
- Pioneer also enjoyed rapid growth and was #1 in Public Display modules for the first time overtaking Matsushita. Pioneer boosted its HD allocation from 83% to 100% in Q4’05.
Table 1: PDP Supplier Share and Growth
The report also reveals that DisplaySearch has upgraded its PDP supply and demand outlook as continued strong demand, shortages and an improved margin outlook has caused a number of the PDP module suppliers to accelerate their next fab timing and increase the scale of their investments despite growing competition from LCD TVs. The impact of increased supply on PDP module and TV pricing is also revealed through 2009.
For detailed PDP module shipments, PDP supply/demand, PDP TV shipments by brand and region and detailed 16-quarter shipment, cost and pricing forecasts, please see our latest Quarterly PDP Module and TV Shipment and Forecast Report. For information on any DisplaySearch report, contact Arie Braun for additional information at 512-459-3126, ext. 108 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DisplaySearch, an NPD Group company, has a core team of 34 employees located in North America and Asia who produce a valued suite of FPD-related market forecasts, technology assessments, surveys, studies and analyses. The company also organizes influential events worldwide. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, DisplaySearch has regional operations in Chicago, Hong Kong, Houston, Kyoto, San Diego, San Jose, Seoul, Shenzhen, Taipei and Tokyo, and the company is on the web at http://www.displaysearch.com.
About The NPD Group Inc.
Since 1967, The NPD Group has provided reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today more than 1,400 manufacturers and retailers rely on NPD to help them better understand their customers, product categories, distribution channels and competition in order to help guide their business. Information from The NPD Group is available for the following major vertical sectors: apparel, appliances, automotive, beauty, consumer electronics, food and beverage, foodservice, footwear, home improvement, housewares, imaging, information technology, music, software, travel, toys, video games, and wireless. For more information, visit http://www.npd.com.