Consumers can save up to £500 while chatting, emailing and browsing
A device that offers consumers an alternative to a smartphone or mini-PC has today been launched by IMOVIO. The iKIT is a Pocket Mobile Companion that at 95mm by 65mm and only 15.5mm high is as portable as a mobile phone. Yet the WiFi and HSDPA enabled device comes with a full QWERTY/AZERTY keyboard, an 8GB SD card slot and a 2.8 inch QVGA display, making it a fully functional communicating and browsing device and a viable substitute for a laptop.
The stylish iKIT is a dedicated chat, email and internet accessory and unlike smartphones it is fully optimised for that purpose. The clamshell design provides users with a full keyboard and landscape screen that don’t have to be compromised for voice calls. Dedicated hotkeys for all of the applications, including a music and video player and webcam, coupled with the elegant design mean that iKIT is the ultimate, portable multimedia device.
The suggested retail price of approximately £99 or €130, combined with the functionality, make the iKIT a very attractive device for a youth audience, as well as appealing to travelers who need a quick and easy-to-use messaging alternative. By buying the iKIT, consumers will be able to save up to £500 on an iPhone* or mini-PC** and with potential operator subsidies the savings may be even greater.
“Many consumers can’t afford the latest smartphone or mini-PC gadget, while others simply can’t use or just don’t like the existing form factors. This means that large groups of people still don’t fully utilise mobile data,” said Dr Jack Torobin, CEO of IMOVIO. “These users, mainly women and teens, still want to have the ability to send emails, browse the web and update their on-line profiles whilst they are out and about.”
“We designed the iKIT to be an alternative to a smartphone or mini-PC,” said Nigel Newby-House, Head of Design at IMOVIO. “It’s a beautifully designed mobile device that provides all the multi-media and messaging capabilities a mobile consumer needs. But at a much better price.”
For mobile and broadband providers, the iKIT is the perfect device to complement their existing range and can be offered to consumers as an add-on device to go with the existing choice of phones, laptops or HSDPA cards. Alternatively, the iKIT can be used to increase customer retention or reduce churn by offering it as a subsidised device for users signing up or renewing broadband or mobile data packages.
Dr. Torobin continued, “the iKIT will allow operators to target the demographics that are currently not well served for mobile data. And as an HSDPA enabled device, it offers a great entry level product for operators to increase usage of their high-speed networks.”
Some of the many operator benefits of the iKIT include:
- The iKIT is brandable to match an operator’s existing portfolio of devices
- For mobile operators, the iKIT will increase take up of new unlimited data plans on the new high-speed networks, without users having to change from their much-loved handset
- For broadband providers the iKIT is the ideal second device that can be used to share the home network, providing the messaging capabilities needed without the high cost of a new laptop
- The iKIT opens up a market to a previously disenfranchised demographic that can neither
- afford, or fully utilise a smartphone or laptop
- The suggested retail price of approximately £99 or €130 means that the iKIT is the perfect device for consumers to purchase as an add-on device — increasing the number of transactions and therefore loyalty
- Operators can now offer teens and other key demographics, like senior citizens, a device that offers exactly the right amount of functionality without the price, commitment or unnecessary processing power of either a laptop or smartphone
On top of the Linux 2.4.19 operating system (OS) the iKIT runs the multi-media and communication tools required by the teen and youth audience. Browsing is optimised for the form factor with Opera Mini 4.1 and the device uses a standard mini-usb port for headphones, charging and synching the device. With storage for over 2,000 contacts and a stand-by battery life of up to 250 hours, the iKIT belies its lightweight, stylish appearance.
Price comparisons are based on the following information, current as of 17th October, 2008.
*Apple iPhone on an 18-month contract at £30 per month, plus £159 handset purchase gives a total cost of ownership of £699
** Vodafone Notebook (Dell Inspiron Mini) on a 24-month contract at £25 per month gives a total cost of ownership of £600
- Processor: Marvell PXA270 312MHz
- Operating System: Linux 2.4.19
- User Interface GUI: Proprietary plus Trolltech QT/E 2.3.8
- Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR, supports wireless stereo headset
- (A2DP) & DUN profile
- WIFI IEEE 802.11 b/g
- QWERTY/AZERTY + numeric keys, other languages optional
- ROM: 128 MB, RAM: 64 MB SDRAM
- User data: 12MB, User media files: 23MB
- Micro SD (up to 8GB)
- 2.8 inch QVGA, TFT, 260,000 colors, landscape
Dimensions & Weight
- 95mm (L) x 65mm (W) x 15.5mm (H)
- 113g (with battery)
- Mini-USB 1.1 used for charging, PC data exchange and wired stereo headset.
- 1050 mAh, Li-ion
- Standby Time: up to 250h
- Power-up Time: up to 3h (25% data download per hour)
- Gaming Time: up to 4h (java game)
- Charging time: 2.5-3.5 hr to full charge from flat with device power off
- Velvet Black, Satin White — other colors available to order
- Web browser Opera Mini 4.1
- POP3 / IMAP / SMTP email protocols
- Supports MSN IM
- Supports MIDI, WAV and MP3 formats
- 16mm speaker built-in, monophonic
- Supports JPG, BMP, GIF and PNG formats
- 0.3 MP fixed focus camera (Option)
- Digital zoom: Up to 3X smooth digital zoom with 7 steps
- 3GP, MP4 and AVI format, Maximum size QVGA
- 25 fps video playback for QVGA size video clips
- Support full-screen display
- JTWI / JSR75 compliant
- With Outlook 2000/2003 & Outlook Express v6 (emails, contacts, calendar)
- Media folder
- World clock
- Alarm clock
- Stop Watch
- Countdown Timer
- Maximum 2,000 records
- Maximum 1,000 events
In the Box
- Mini USB / USB cable
- USB stereo earpiece
- User guide and CD
IMOVIO is dedicated to finding new ways for consumers to take advantage of high-speed broadband Internet and 3G mobile networks. IMOVIO creates simple to use and inexpensive multimedia devices that work with mobile handsets and/or over WiFi home networks. Among its planned product offer, IMOVIO will launch palm-sized IPTV devices and multi-media messenger devices.
IMOVIO is a brand of COMsciences, Inc. a Los Angeles, California headquartered company with offices in Paris, London and Shanghai. Since its inception in 1989, COMsciences has offered strategic advice for products and services to the world’s largest consumer electronics brands including Nintendo, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Sony, Hitachi, Microsoft and a host of others.