Dell announced the XPS 13 Ultrabook, a 13.3-inch laptop featuring an edge-to-edge glass display with hardened Gorilla Glass, a full-size backlit keyboard, large glass touchpad with integrated buttons and multi-gestural support, and up to eight hours, fifty-three minutes of battery life. Starting under 3 lbs. and less than a quarter-inch at its thinnest point, the XPS 13 combines performance-oriented thoughtful design with the latest Intel technology, such as Rapid Start and Smart Connect.
The XPS 13 delivers second-generation Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, Intel HD 3000 graphics and a bright high definition WLED 300-nit display for outstanding viewing experiences, packaged in an elegantly-designed, ultraportable laptop. For users who store movies, music and photos, the XPS 13 has 128GB and 256GB solid state hard drive options, plus an additional 100GB of cloud storage through Dell DataSafe for seamless content backup and sharing at no additional cost. Additionally, all XPS 13 units include a 12-month Skype Premium subscription to always stay in touch.
The 13.3-inch high definition display with slim bezel fits in a body size similar to the form factor of an 11-inch product, making it the most compact Ultrabook available. (Other 13.3-inch laptops offer the same viewing area but with up to a 15 percent larger footprint.) The carbon fiber composite base extends the design process, offering a premium visual appeal, and is lighter and cooler to the touch than aluminum.
The XPS 13 is one of the first Ultrabooks to feature Intel Smart Connect technology, which wakes periodically to detect known networks and update calendar and email. With solid state drives and Intel Rapid Start technology, the XPS 13 boots in seconds, giving customers the performance of a laptop with the instant gratification experience of a smartphone. Dell will also integrate location awareness via Skyhook and Google Places shortly after launch.
Enterprise-friendly features include standard Trusted Platform Module for BitLocker Data Encryption and optional ProSupport after-sales service and Configuration Services such as custom imaging and asset tagging. Available customer service options include concierge and software support.
In addition to the Limited Hardware Warranty, Dell is including one year of Accidental Damage Service and one year of theft protection with Computrace LoJack for Laptops Theft Recovery Service as standard. Accidental Damage service provides customers with peace of mind by protecting against drops and spills and other accidents that may occur. Computrace LoJack for Laptops Theft Recovery Service helps track, locate, lock down and recover a stolen system, and can even remotely delete sensitive data.
Dell designed the XPS 13 with the environment in mind. Its energy-efficient LED displays have no mercury or arsenic and Dell eliminated harmful toxins such as Brominated Flame Retardants and Polyvinyl Chloride (BFR/PVCs). The XPS 13 is shipped in many locations with sustainably harvested bamboo packaging material. Every XPS 13 can be configured to be ENERGY STAR qualified, helping customers reduce energy costs. When the time comes, Dell offers multiple recycling options.
- Ultrathin laptop (0.24-0.71″/6-18mm) with Microsoft Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium; precision machined aluminum with a carbon fiber composite base
- Intel Core i5 2467M and i7 2637M processor choices
- 13.3″ HD WLED, 300-nit (1366×768) 720p; edge-to-edge hardened Gorilla Glass
- Intel HD 3000 video graphics
- 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333Mhz memory
- 128 GB SSD or 256GB SSD drive options
- Full size, backlit chiclet keyboard; glass integrated button touchpad with multi-gesture support
- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 A/G/N and Bluetooth 3.0 wireless connectivity
- High definition audio with Waves MaxxAudio 4
- Built-in 47WHr 6-cell battery (Dell XPS 13 batteries are built into the laptop and are not replaceable by the customer) offering up to eight hours, fifty-three minutes of battery life; 45W AC adaptor
- USB 3.0 (1) + USB 2.0 with PowerShare (1), mini Display-Port, and headset jack (1)
- Built-in 1.3MP webcam (H.264 enabled via Skype) with dual array digital microphones
- Dell ProSupport for business customers, Dell Configuration Services and Windows Trusted Platform Module options for commercial models
- Dimensions: Height: 0.24-0.71″ (6-18mm) / Width: 12.4″ (316mm) / Depth 8.1″ (205mm); Weight: starting at 2.99lbs (1.36 kg)
Availability and Pricing
The Dell XPS 13 will be available at the end of February 2012 in the U.S. starting at $999 with an Intel Core i5 processor, 128GB SSD hard drive and 4GB memory. The worldwide launch begins March 2012.