Purchase of Dell (PRODUCT) RED Computer or Printer Enables People Worldwide to Help Save Lives
Dell and Microsoft Corp. will offer customers a simple way to make a difference in the fight against AIDS in Africa through the purchase of unique (PRODUCT) RED branded personal computers and a printer. Adding to the premium experience, all Dell (PRODUCT) RED PCs are powered by Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED. Dell is the exclusive partner for PCs and peripherals of (PRODUCT) RED.
Dell (PRODUCT) RED products are now available at http://www.dell.com/joinred and at Best Buy stores throughout the United States by the end of the week. Beginning Jan. 31, they also will be available through Dell in nearly 30 additional countries.
(RED), launched in 2006, is a brand designed to engage business and consumer power in the fight against AIDS in Africa. To date, (RED) partners have contributed more than $57 million to the Global Fund based on the sale of (PRODUCT) RED products. (RED) funds are at work on the ground in Rwanda, Swaziland and Ghana.
With each purchase of a (PRODUCT) RED branded Dell personal computer including Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED, Dell and Microsoft will make a combined contribution of $50 to $80 – depending on the PC purchased – to the Global Fund. Purchase of a Dell (PRODUCT) RED printer generates a $5 Dell contribution. One hundred percent of the funds contributed go to Global Fund-financed grants in Africa.
An $80 contribution generated by the choice of a Dell (PRODUCT) RED all-in-one PC with Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED is equivalent to more than six months of life-saving antiretroviral treatment for an individual living with AIDS in Africa.
“The computer has revolutionized our lives; the (RED) Dell Microsoft partnership goes a step further with PCs which channel money to the Global Fund,” said Bono, co-founder of (RED). “It’s a truly beautiful idea – that the purchase of a stylish PC can put someone on lifesaving ARV treatment for six months.”
Dell (PRODUCT) RED products are distinguished by their vibrant red color and accents, and distinctive (PRODUCT) RED branding. All Dell (PRODUCT) RED PCs feature Intel Core 2 Duo processors. Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED includes six unique desktop wallpapers, a screensaver, two innovative Windows Sidebar gadgets and a (RED)-themed Windows DreamScene.
Dell (PRODUCT) RED products include:
- XPS One (PRODUCT) RED – The elegant, simple and space-saving XPS One combines multimedia computing with high style, high-definition television and entertainment, and is a distinctive addition to any room in the home. Starting at $1,599. (Purchase contributes $80 to the Global Fund)
- XPS M1330 (PRODUCT) RED – With a starting weight of just under 4 pounds(1) and featuring an ultra-thin 0.9-inch profile(2), the award-winning XPS M1330 notebook features a high-definition 13.3-inch display, full-sized keyboard, built-in Wi-Fi and optional mobile broadband(3) wireless for connecting on the go. Starting at $1,149. (Purchase contributes $50 to the Global Fund)
- XPS M1530 (PRODUCT) RED – The XPS M1530 is a sleek and stylish 15.4-inch notebook that is loaded with premium features like built-in webcam and fingerprint reader, and design accents like touch-sensitive multimedia buttons and brushed aluminum accents. Starting at $1,149. (Purchase contributes $50 to the Global Fund)
- 948 All-in-One Printer (PRODUCT) RED – The 948 printer features easy-to-use fax, scan, copy and print functions and photo printing options – available with or without connection to a computer.(4) Starting at $149. (Purchase contributes $5 to the Global Fund).
“The RED campaign is making a tangible difference in the lives of people living with AIDS in Africa,” said Michael Dell, Dell chairman and CEO. “We’ve seen what computers can do for keeping people connected, but with (RED), the sale of these products will actually help keep people alive. We couldn’t be more proud to be part of this initiative.”
“The combination of Microsoft, (RED) and Dell means consumers can help in the fight against AIDS in Africa by buying a great Dell PC that comes loaded with the best version of Windows Vista, with each purchase funding up to six months of life-saving drugs for someone in Africa through the Global Fund,” said Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft. “The (RED) business model is a powerful way for consumers to use their purchasing power to help bring about positive change in the world, and we are pleased to have Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED be an engine for that change.”
About (RED) and (PRODUCT) RED
(RED) was established to engage the private sector in raising awareness and funds for the Global Fund, to help fight AIDS in Africa. Companies whose products take on the (PRODUCT) RED mark contribute a significant percentage of the sales or portion of the profits from that product to the Global Fund to finance AIDS programs in Africa, with an emphasis on the health of women and children. Current partners are: American Express (U.K. only), Apple, Converse, Gap, Emporio Armani, Motorola, Hallmark, Dell and Windows. MySpace.com is the first media sponsor in the United Kingdom and MTV Networks is the first media sponsor in the US.
Since its launch in the spring of 2006, (RED) has generated more than $57 million for the Global Fund. (RED) money is already at work in Swaziland, Rwanda and Ghana. For more information, visit http://www.joinred.com.
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services they trust and value. Uniquely enabled by its direct business model, Dell is a leading global systems and services company and No. 34 on the Fortune 500. For more information, visit http://www.dell.com.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
About the Global Fund
The Global Fund, the recipient of (RED) funds, is the world’s leading funder of programs to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, which kill over 6 million people each year. Created in 2002, the Global Fund has committed over $10 billion to life saving programs in 136 countries and accounts for almost a quarter of the world’s funding for AIDS programs in the developing world (two-thirds of the world’s funding for malaria and tuberculosis). The Global Fund was the first international financing body to fund a massive scale-up of antiretroviral treatment in developing countries, starting in 2003. For more information visit http://www.theglobalfund.org
Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
(1) M1330 Weight: Starting weight is with a 13.3″ WXGA LED LCD, UMA board, DVD+/-RW, and 4-cell Li-Ion battery. Weights vary depending on configurations and manufacturing variability.
(2) XPS M1330 WLED Display Notebook Dimensions: Notebook thinness ranges from 0.9″ – 1.3″ (23.1 – 33.8mm wedge) with a WLED display.
(3) Subject to wireless provider’s broadband subscription and coverage area; additional charges apply.
(4) Wireless Printer: PC must have a wireless card, be connected to a wireless network, and have the printer software installed for proper function.