Zacuto USA introduced the Z-Finder EVF electronic viewfinder for DSLR cameras — a 3.2 inch, high resolution monitor that will work in conjunction with existing Z-Finders optical loops. The Z-Finder EVF allows you to operate the DSLR camera with the correct form factor for video with the camera “in-line” to your rod system (the most stable way) and your eye in the Z-Finder EVF. This is the way all film cameras and ENG video cameras were operated, which Zacuto believes is the way DSLR cameras should be operated. It will enhance the stability, give you better resolution, allow you to get your eye where it most comfortably needs to be, enable low mode shooting, have your EVF in the back of a dolly or crane, detached from the rig for car shots and more.
Zacuto Z-Finder EVF 3.2″ monitor has higher resolution than DSLR LCD screens which generally offer a 640×480 3:2 aspect ratio screen. Therefore, you only effectively see the resolution at 640×360 in 16×9. The Zacuto Z-Finder EVF monitor resolution is a true 800×480 making the resolution 56% greater than the on-board DSLR camera screens. The Zacuto monitor also has a tighter dot pitch which also improves the quality, making you see a much tighter pixel pattern.
Zacuto is the only camera accessories manufacturer to offer an EVF with a two-piece design. This design creates three functional uses:
- Z-Finder attaches directly to a camera's LCD screen for run'n'gun shooting.
- Z-Finder attaches to EVF monitor creating the world's first anti-fog EVF.
- Flipping up the Z-Finder allows users an adjustable 3.2″ high resolution monitor.
Product Specifications and Key Features:
- 3.2 inch high resolution monitor
- Actual 16×9 with 800×480 resolution
- .87 dot pitch
- Works with all Z-Finder models
- Operates for a half-day on a Canon LP-E6 camera battery or can use 12 volt external power
- Focus Assist, False Color Exposure Assist and HDMI loop through
- Includes a Zacuto proprietary hot shoe mount and mini HDMI cable
- Convenient flip-up design: Z-Finder can flip up like a traditional ENG EVF's to view 3.2″ color screen
- Z-Finder EVF: compatible with full range of HD-DSLR cameras: Canon 5D MKII, Canon 7D, Canon Rebel T2i, and Nikon D3s and D7000
- EVF can be used on any manufacturer's rig via 1/4 20 screw, 15mm rod or articulating arm
Pricing and Availability:
Z-Finder EVF has a list price of $775. An upgrade path for existing Z-Finder users and a combo-kit (Z-Finder with EVF) will be available at a discounted price (TBD).