TiVo announced their biggest and most expensive DVR ever called the TiVo Mega. The $5,000 box buys 4,000 hours of HD recording stored on 24 terabytes (24 TB) of hard drive space. The whole home capable TiVo Mega marries unprecedented storage with the all-in-one approach to live, recorded, on-demand, streaming services and web-based television that gives consumers what they want on any screen, wherever they are.
A rack-mountable appliance with 30 times the capacity of most cable or satellite DVRs and user-swappable drives, TiVo Mega features six tuners that can record a multitude of content simultaneously and support the TiVo Mini for the ultimate whole-home solution. Users can stream live TV or recordings to their smartphones and tablets and even download programming to enjoy for offline playback.
“Size matters. People hate being forced to delete cool stuff from their DVR before they want to or finding a TV show they had recorded is now gone. Now, with TiVo Mega they can always know their show or movie is still there to watch later,” said Ira Bahr, CMO at TiVo. “TiVo Mega offers more than twelve times the storage of any cable or satellite DVR. TiVo Mega is the solution for the power user who wants to record everything.”
- Storage: 24 Terabyte RAID 5 HDD
- Six tuners
- Streaming live and recorded TV to smartphones and tablets anywhere: Built-in stream transcoding
- Multi-room: Whole home capable
- 26,000 hours of SD recording space, approximately 4,000 hours of HD recording space
- Content navigation:
- Universal search across cable, video-on-demand and web apps including Netflix and YouTube
- “What to Watch” provides a personalized dashboard with recommendations for what’s on now, next and tonight
- Collections offers editorial collections based on current events or categories including new fall TV, Shark Week, Holiday, Emmy or Oscar winners, etc.
- Channel guide with filters to enable users to get to what they want as quickly as possible
- Free application for smartphones and tablets: manage your DVR with your phone or tablet through remote Season Pass management, a recording scheduler that allows you to add or remove recordings and enhanced WishList management
- Remote: TiVo Slide Pro Remote included, Full QWERTY-format slide out keyboard makes text entry fast and easy and RF signal for maximum power removes line-of-sight requirements
- Networking: Ethernet and MoCA
- Hardware configuration: Hot user-swappable drives, offering protection from data loss
Pricing and Availability
TiVo Mega is expected to be available during the first quarter of 2015 at approximately $5,000, including product lifetime service.