Computer AC Adapters Recalled Due to Shock Hazard
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
- Name of Product: Sony VAIO Computer AC Adapters
- Units: About 69,000
- Manufacturer: Sony Electronics Inc. of San Diego, Calif.
- Hazard: Insulation inside the AC adapter can fail over time, posing an electrical shock hazard to consumers.
- Incidents/Injuries: Sony has received four reports of adapters short circuiting. No incidents occurred in the United States. No injuries have been reported.
- Description: The recalled AC adapter model is the Sony VGP-AC19V17, which was supplied for use with the following Sony products:
Product Types Using the AC Adapters Product Models Using the AC Adapters All-in-one VAIO Desktop Computers VGC-LT series and VGC-JS2 series VAIO Docking Stations VGP-PRBX1 and VGP-PRFE1
Sony VAIO VGC-LT series
- Sold at: The SonyStyle stores and Web site, authorized electronics retailers and authorized business- to-business dealers nationwide from September 2005 through October 2009 for between $900 and $3300 for desktop computers and $250 and $300 for docking stations.
- Manufactured in: China
- Remedy: Consumers should turn off their computer, unplug it and stop using the recalled AC adapters immediately and contact Sony to arrange for a free replacement of the affected AC adapter.
Consumer Contact: For more information, contact Sony toll-free at (877) 361-4481 anytime, or visit the firm’s Web site at http://esupport.sony.com/ac19adapter.