Sony just announced its flagship STR-DN1020 7.2 channel, 110 watt, 3D compatible A/V receiver featuring a Faroudja DCDi Edge video processing chip that up converts and upscales analog signals to near 1080p HD quality via HDMI, while its Digital Legato Linear (D.L.L.) advanced sound processing technology also improves audio fidelity. D.L.L. analyzes standard definition (compressed) audio signals such as Dolby Digital and dts format sound and upscales them to 192 KHz resulting in higher quality audio.
The STR-DN1020 is Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) certified allowing it to play digital music from your home PC or other connected DLNA device. It can also stream audio to Sony's HomeShare wireless network speakers (sold separately) and features Sony's PartyStreaming mode with synchronized playback on multiple speakers. In addition, Internet audio services, including Slacker and vTuner, are available when connected to an existing broadband home network through the model's Ethernet port.
Audio from the receiver is also fine tuned with the help of Sony's advanced Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (D.C.A.C.) with Automatic Phase Matching and Sound Optimizer technologies. Utilizing the included microphone, D.C.A.C. measures and analyzes room acoustics, adjusting the receiver's output to deliver the best possible audio, while allowing all of the speakers to use the same phase as the front channels. At the same time, Sound Optimizer automatically improves audio for a consistent surround image at any volume level.
A full list of features includes:
- 110 watt x 7 (8 ohms 1kHz 1% THD)
- Access to streaming Internet audio services
- Synchronized playback on Sony HomeShare wireless network speakers
- iPhone / iPod touch remote control app
- iPhone / iPod video and music playback via included dock
- Upconvert/upscale from analog to 1080p video via HDMI (Faroudja DCDi Edge)
- HDMI 3D pass-through
- Seven HD inputs (four HDMI, three component)
- D.L.L. advanced sound processing
- Sony's Advanced D.C.A.C. with Automatic Phase Matching
- Sound Optimizer
- Advanced on-screen graphic user interface
- Second zone audio and video
- Dual subwoofer pre-outs
- IR in and out
- Audio return channel
- Standby pass-through of audio and video via HDMI connected devices
- BRAVIA Sync
Price and Availability
The Sony STR-DN1020 7.2-channel A/V Receiver will be available this May for about $500.