Pioneer announced the DJM-850 performance DJ mixer featuring a built-in high-performance USB sound card, various functions for laptop-connected DJ performances, and the industry’s first BEAT COLOR FX function, which changes effects by linking the audio input of each channel.
Variety of Effects
Inheriting technology from their DJM-900nexus mixer, the DJM-850 follows Pioneer’s traditional mixer layout, featuring a variety of advanced sound effects that provide DJs with virtually limitless possibilities when mixing their music. Pioneer includes a new BEAT COLOR FX function, which changes effects by linking the audio input from each channel.
- Sound Color FX — The Sound Color FX offers four types of effects (Filter, Crush, Noise and Gate) that can be linked to the input sound of each channel.
- Beat Color FX — Users can quickly change between the new Beat Color FX and Sound Color FX to suit each tune for further remixing and sound capabilities. By activating the Beat Color FX, users are able to manipulate the Sound Color FX and Beat Effect simultaneously, resulting in more creative effects that complement the beat of the music.
- Beat Effect — The Beat Effect function presents 13 different types of effects (Delay, Echo, Up Echo (new), Spiral, Reverb, Trans, Filter, Flanger, Phaser, Robot, Slip Roll, Roll, and Reverse Roll) that can be combined to produce up to 100 other original effects.
The design of the DJM-850 combines broad functionality and high quality components to achieve great sound quality:
- 24bit/96kHz Built-in USB Sound Card — An integrated high performance USB sound card enables up to four inputs/outputs simultaneously with no deterioration in sound quality.
- The sound card supports three different sampling rates (96kHz/48kHz/44.1kHz) and the ASIO/Core Audio standards that can also be used for music recording and production.
- The USB port on top of the mixer provides quick connections to use DJ software via laptop. The signal output path from the mixer can be easily modified using its setup utility tool3 via a computer.
- Sound Quality — The use of high quality components such as a 32-bit digital-to-analog output converter and a 32-bit digital signal processor, separate analog and digital circuitry, and extremely short audio transmission paths results in clear and powerful audio output.
TRAKTOR SCRATCH 2 Certified
The DJM-850 offers compatibility to the Scratch Control (DVS) with Native Instrument’s TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO 2/DUO 2 software. Using the timecode disc bundled with the software and a PC, the DJM-850 is ready for scratch control (DVS) with a CDJ player or Vinyl turntable.
The DJM-850 is equipped with additional features that add to the versatility of the mixer:
- MIDI Signal – Operation information of the mixer’s knobs and buttons can be transmitted as a MIDI signal for a “Full Ensemble MIDI” function to control other connected devices.
- Switching 3-Band EQ/Isolator — Each channel of the mixer is equipped with a switchable 3-band EQ (+6dB to -26dB) and 3-band isolator (+6dB to -∞dB)
- High Performance Channel Faders — The slide mechanism supports the fader knobs with two metal shafts for both durability and smooth operation. Furthermore, the new mechanism’s design minimizes the negative effects of moisture and dust particles on the mixer’s performance.
- P-LOCK Fader Cap — Keeps the fader channel and crossfader knobs (caps) locked, preventing them from physically slipping off during heavy use.
- Scratch Control — Scratch control is possible by using the time code disc bundled with DJ software supporting DVS (Digital Vinyl System) from CDJ players and vinyl turntables.
- Auto Standby — Automatically senses active operation and the presence of input signals, switching to standby mode when inputs are not detected for a long period.
Price and Availability
The Pioneer DJM-850 will be available in black or silver colors in March 2012 for $1,999.
|No. of channels||Audio: 4, Mic: 2|
|Inputs||CD/LINE x 4 (RCA), LINE x 2 (RCA), PHONO x 2 (RCA)
MIC x 2 (XLR & 1/4 inch PHONE combined use x 1, 1/4 inch PHONE x 1)
|Outputs||MASTER OUT x 2 (RCA x 1, XLR x 1)
BOOTH OUT x 1 (1/4 inch PHONE)
HEADPHONE MONITOR OUT x 1 (top side 1/4 inch PHONE)
REC OUT x 1 (RCA)
DIGITAL OUT x 1 (COAXIAL)
|Other ports||SEND X 1 (1/4 inch PHONE), RETURN x 1 (1/4 inch PHONE)
MIDI OUT x 1 (5P DIN), USB x 1 (top side B port), CONTROL x 4 (3.5 mm MINI JACK)
|D/A converter||32 bit|
|A/D converter||24 bit|
|Frequency response||20 Hz – 20 kHz|
|Total harmonic distortion||0.004% or less|
|S/N ratio||Min. 106 dB (LINE)|
|Power use||120 V AC (60 Hz)|
|Electricity consumption||30 W|
|Max. external dimensions||12.6″ (W) x 15.0″ (D) x 4.25″ (H)|