PENTAX Imaging Company announced today the launch of the PENTAX K-7 digital SLR camera. The PENTAX K-7 features a rugged, yet compact new body design, a new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up, and advanced features such as HD Movie Capture and new, unique-to-PENTAX camera controls. Compatible with every PENTAX lens ever made, the high-end K-7 features an abundance of long-anticipated new and improved features that are exclusive to the camera and combine to make it a tremendous photography tool.
“The K-7 will appeal to many current PENTAX SLR photographers who have been asking for more advanced features but in a smaller, solid, comfortable-to-hold body,” said Ned Bunnell, president, PENTAX Imaging Company. “We also believe the combination of the K-7’s smaller, high quality construction coupled with the growing line-up of our Limited compact prime lenses will appeal to serious shooters who currently don’t own or previously hadn’t considered adding a PENTAX to their camera bag.”
The most significant features of the PENTAX K-7 that have never been offered before in any K series digital camera, and in some case any camera, include:
- A compact, magnesium alloy body that is one of the smallest in the advanced photo enthusiast category to reduce bulk and allow users to travel light while maintaining durability and build quality (seven percent smaller than the K20D and up to 25 percent smaller than other cameras in the same class).
- A new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up to minimize noise, adds four channel output for fast image capture, and the ability to capture HD quality movies. It is the ideal combination of resolution and file size, allowing very large (poster size and larger) prints and cropping flexibility.
- A new 77-segment metering system quickly and accurately determines exposure for even the most complex and dynamic lighting situations.
- HD Movie capture features adjustable quality and resolution settings, aperture control, as well as mechanical Shake Reduction, and an external microphone terminal for recording stereo sound.* The K-7 will capture video at the default standard of 1280×720 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536×1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or 640×416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), all shot at 30 frames per second.
- An HDMI port with selectable output resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, and auto) offers high resolution playback of images and video on modern high definition TV’s.
- A Dedicated AF-assist lamp further improves autofocus response and accuracy in low light conditions.
- An Electronic Level function ensures that images have truly level horizons to minimize post-capture editing.
- An innovative in-camera Lens Correction function that electronically adjusts for Distortion and Lateral Chromatic Aberrations to maximize image quality with DA series lenses.
- A dedicated Mirror Lock-up function eliminates image blur due to mirror movement during long exposures.
- A High Dynamic Range (HDR) image capture mode captures three images then combines them in camera to widen the exposure gamut to bring out detail in all exposure areas of images.
- A composition adjustment feature in Live View allows minor shifts in the framing and composition of images using the Shake Reduction mechanism without having to physically move the camera. This feature is ideal for tripod use.
- A programmable embedded copyright function preserves artistic integrity and image ownership during capture via a keypad that may record ownership in meta tag data.
*Due to the compact size of the K-7 camera and the in-body Shake Reduction mechanism, a camera mounted microphone is a highly recommended accessory for optimal audio quality when capturing video.
Along with the body, PENTAX announced a D-BG4 battery grip for exclusive use with the PENTAX K-7 and two weather-resistant lens models developed specifically for PENTAX digital SLRs. The smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR and the smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR kit lenses feature weather-resistant seals to handle damp, inclement conditions.
The PENTAX K-7 body only will ship in July 2009 for $1,299.95. The PENTAX D-BG4 battery grip will be priced at $229.95, and the lenses will be priced at $199.95. These products also will ship in July 2009.
Every PENTAX K-7 purchased includes a Three Year extended warranty and an exclusive coupon for up to 15 percent savings on a variety of PENTAX products.