Sprint today announced the push-to-talk Kyocera Duramax flip phone along with their next generation 3G CDMA-based Sprint Direct Connect service which includes broadband data capabilities, familiar push-to-talk features, plus new features and a broadening push-to-talk coverage map expected in early 2012.
Kyocera DuraMax is the workhorse of the new Sprint Direct Connect portfolio. It has a rugged exterior and non-slip Dura-Grip surface, a 2.0-inch QVGA TFT main display, 3.2-megapixel camera with flash and camcorder, and is designed to meet Military Standard 810G for dust, shock, vibration, extreme temperatures, blowing rain and water immersion (up to 30 minutes in one meter of water).
The expandable microSD memory card slot provides the storage capacity required to manage large files on-the-go (1GB microSD card included).
- Military Standard 810G Spec compliance for dust, shock, vibration, temperature extremes, blowing rain, low pressure, solar radiation, salt fog, humidity, and water immersion (up to 30 minutes in up to one meter/3.28 ft. of water).
- Encased in rubber, non-slip Dura-Grip material for sure hold and extra durability.
- Robust, front-ported speakerphone.
- 3.2 MP camera w/ flash and camcorder.
- Stereo Bluetooth (2.0 + EDR) wireless technology.
- 2.5 mm stereo headphone jack (supports PTT headsets).
- 1GB microSD memory card included (expandable to 32GB).
- Large-font menu option.
- GPS navigation enabled.
- Sprint Family Locator enabled.
- Supports SMS and MMS messaging and third-party data applications.
- Dimensions: 4.0 x 2.1 x 1.0 inches, weight: 5.1 oz
- Display: Main, 2.0-inch QVGA TFT (240 x 320 pixels) External, high-contrast 1.0-inch monochrome (96 x 64 pixels)
- Removable 1360 mAh battery for up to 8.08 hours continuous talk-time
Sprint Direct Connect services:
- Direct Connect — Instant, one-to-one push-to-talk calling nationwide, with any other Direct Connect subscriber across Sprint and Nextel network platforms.
- Guaranteed Talk Permit — The assurance that when you hear the push-to-talk “chirp” that your call was successfully transmitted.
- Call Alert with Text — Send an audio alert with an optional text message to let another Direct Connect subscriber know you are trying to reach them and why.
- Group Connect — Communicate with up to 20 other Sprint Direct Connect subscribers all at once — nationwide, at the push of one button.
- TeamDCSM — Communicate with up to 200 other Sprint Direct Connect subscribers at the same time nationwide.
- NextMail — Send a recorded message to any email worldwide or mobile handset via text message by using the Direct Connect button.
- Availability Notification — Request the availability status of another push-to-talk member and, if they are busy, request a notification when they are free.
In early 2012, the Sprint Direct push-to-talk coverage area is expected to grow to match the Sprint CDMA voice coverage area — expected to be almost three times the square miles covered by Nextel iDEN today. Additionally, in 2012, international push-to-talk calling to select countries will also begin rolling out to help support our current customers with international push-to-talk needs.
Price and Availability
The Kyocera DuraMax will be available October 2, 2011 for $69.99 with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade and after a $50 mail-in rebate at Sprint.com. Two more Sprint Direct Connect devices are expected in Q4 2011.