FujiFilm just announced Firmware Update Version 2.0 for their flagship 24-megapixel rangefinder interchangeable lens digital camera, the X-Pro2, which debuted earlier this year. Improvements are noted below and will be available for download in October 2016:
- The new autofocus algorithm produces faster and more accurate autofocus, but excludes the new AF-C Custom Settings functions. It is the same feature found in the new FujiFilm X-T2.
- Compatibility with the new hot-shoe mount FujiFilm EF-X500 flash. The camera will now supporthigh-speed flash sync and multi-flash lighting.
- AUTO POWER OFF will now have 15 second, 30 second, and 1 minute options, allowing more customizable power management.
- The parallax correction function will be improved to provide a more accurate and easier-to-use Optical Viewfinder.
The mirrorless X-Pro2 gives professional photographers an innovative Advanced Hybrid Multi Viewfinder capable of instantly switching between optical and electronic finders, a new 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III sensor for truly remarkable image resolution, and a new X-Processor Pro that delivers dramatically improved response times.
The X-Pro2 has both an optical finder and electronic viewfinder. The ability to instantly switch between these two types of viewfinders was first installed on the FujiFilm X100 in 2011, but the latest version found on the X-Pro2 is the most advanced. It now features a Multi-Magnification function that automatically switches viewfinder magnification according to the lens in use and an Electronic Rangefinder that simultaneously displays the electronic viewfinder on top of the optical viewfinder.
The newly developed 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III sensor and the high-performance X-Processor Pro image engine deliver pictures with a perceived resolution far greater than the actual number of pixels used. Moreover, the X-Pro2 now boasts 4x the processing speed of conventional image processing engines, which in turn gives users increased response times, even with the increased resolution. The powerful X-Processor Pro dramatically improves a wide range of response times, including a start-up time of just 0.4 seconds, the shortest shooting interval of 0.25 seconds, a shutter time lag of 0.05 seconds, and autofocus speeds as fast as 0.06 seconds. And with the option to use compressed RAW files, the X-Pro2’s performance and functionality now exceed the needs of professional photographers, including faster live view and even higher definition movies.
The FujiFilm X-Pro2 uses a new autofocus (AF) system that gives users an expanded number of selectable focusing points with 273 AF points. 77 of these are phase detection – for greater functionality and faster autofocus. With the X-Pro2, approximately 40% of the imaging area is now covered by fast, precise phase detection AF pixels, which means focusing speeds when photographing moving subjects have improved dramatically. By combining the processing capabilities of the new X-Processor Pro with a contrast AF readout speed that is 2x faster than before, the X-Pro2 delivers the fastest AF performance ever in an X-Series camera.
The X-Pro2 has a robust, weather-resistant body to meet the needs of professional photographers in tough shooting environments. The camera’s chassis is made from four pieces of magnesium alloy and is sealed with more than 61 points, making it dust-proof, splash-proof and capable of operating in temperatures as low as 14°F. In addition, it has dual SD card slots, for more reliable image storage and less card changing while on location.
Its shutter speed dial, exposure compensation dial and finder switching lever are all milled from aluminum for a premium look and comfortable feel. The ISO sensitivity dial is now built-in to the shutter speed dial so camera settings can be confirmed at a glance without having to turn the power on. And the command dial position has been added to the exposure compensation dial. Selecting this function switches exposure compensation operation to the front command dial and expands the range to ±5EV.
The FujiFilm X-Pro2 features Command dials on both the front and rear of the camera. And by adding a push function, they are easier to use, and still retain dust and water resistance. There are six function buttons to allow easier access to regularly used functions, and a new Focus Lever enables users to quickly select a focusing point, speeding up operation.
A new, easy-to-use graphical user interface design in the X-Pro2 offers fresh categories added to the tabs on the menu screen, allowing faster access to the item required. Users can register a maximum of 16 frequently used items in the new My Menu feature, and when combined with the 16 items from the Q Menu, a total of 32 shortcuts can be created.
The viewfinder display in the FujiFilm X-Pro2 now offers a greater level of customization so it can further match the individual needs of the photographer. The X-Pro2 gives users a Bright Frame Simulation function in the optical viewfinder mode so the angle of view of each focal length can be confirmed without having to replace the lens, so the user can change lenses more accurately.
- World’s first Advanced Hybrid Multi Viewfinder with 2.36 million dots and maximum speed of 85 frames per second
- Diopter correction mechanism with an eye point of 16mm and a telephoto bright frame with enlarged focal length of 140mm
- 24.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS III Sensor
- Fast AF of up to 0.08 seconds
- Phase detection AF and motion predictive AF for continuous shooting up to 8 frames per second
- Start-up time of 0.4 seconds
- Shutter time lag of 0.05 seconds
- Shooting interval of 0.25 seconds
- Focal plane shutter top speed of 1/8000 second
- Flash sync speed up to 1/250 second
- Dust and water-resistant body with more than 61 points of weather sealing and freeze resistance to 14°F
- High-precision 3” rear display with 1.62 million dots
- Dual memory card slots (Slot1 compatible with UHS-II standards)
- New monochrome ACROS film simulation for smooth tones, deep blacks and rich textures
- New Grain Effect mode for images reminiscent of old film photos, especially when printed
- Maximum ISO performance up to 12800 sensitivity; Extended ISO ISO100, 25600, 51200
- Improved electric charge transfer rate for ultra-fast readout speeds
- Interval timer for shooting time-lapse sequences of one second to 24 hours, up to 999 frames
- Free FUJIFILM Camera Remote application and Wireless Communication function allows users to remotely shoot images from smartphones and tablets via WiFi
- Photos can be sent to the INSTAX Share Printer using the free INSTAX Share App (iOS and Android) SHARE Smartphone Printer
- Full HD video 1080p at 60fps; bit rate of 36Mbps for clear capture of delicate movements; frame rates of 60 fps, 50fps, 30fps, 25fps and 24fps, supporting worldwide motion picture formats
- Advanced creative filters
- Optional accessories:
- Hand Grip MHG-Xpro2 – improves grip and retains access to battery and SD card, and compatible with an Arca Swiss plate
- Leather Case BLC-XPRO2 – genuine leather bottom case elegantly shows off the X-Pro2’s classic design while protecting the camera body with battery access
Price and Availability
The FujiFilm X-Pro2 (body only) was released February 18, 2016 for USD $1,699.95 and CAD $1,899.99.
The Firmware Update Version 2.0 will be available for download in October 2016.
Updated XF Lens Roadmap
Also announced is an updated roadmap for developing interchangeable lenses for the X Series line of mirrorless digital cameras. The latest roadmap adds three new lenses: the compact, lightweight and stylish semi-wide angle lens XF23mmF2 R WR, the compact mid-telephoto lens XF50mmF2 R WRand the mid-telephoto 1:1 macro lens XF80mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro. The expanded 25-lens lineup covers extensive angles of view from ultra-wide angle to ultra-telephoto, and will now expand the macro category to further enhance photographic versatility.
Changes from the previous roadmap released in February 2015
The XF120mmF2.8 R Macro lens, listed in the previous roadmap, has been replaced with the XF80mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR to meet the market demand for compact and lightweight lenses. To support our customers who were expecting a telephoto macro lens, this new lens is compatible with the existing teleconverters to extend its reach into the telephoto range.