Features the Largest Imaging Sensor Ever in a Canon Point-and-Shoot Camera
Canon announced a new flagship point-and-shoot camera called the PowerShot G1 X Mark III to replace the aging Mark II. The $1,300 Mark III features a 24.2-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and proprietary Dual Pixel CMOS AF (Auto-Focus) technology, both firsts for a Canon point-and shoot compact camera. That’s about double the pixel count of its predecessor along with a 36% larger sensor. In addition, there’s a video recording upgrade to 1080/60p from 1080/30p. However, it’s strange there’s no 4K shooting at this price point.
The lighter and more compact all-in-one Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III is designed for enthusiast and professional photographers. Its owners can expect extremely fast and smooth autofocus capabilities across nearly the entire focal plane, allowing for more creative compositions when framing a subject away from the center of a shot. Mark III offers a wide-angle 24-72mm (3x zoom) lens with Optical Image Stabilization featuring a wide f/2.8-5.6 aperture to allow for maximum brightness and increased sharpness in images and an ISO range of 100-25,600. This provides users with the versatility to shoot in low-light scenarios like a dimly lit restaurant which can frame subjects with beautiful background blur.
Other differences between the Mark II and Mark III include a jump up to the DIGIC 7 processor, but a drop in optical zoom from 5x to 3x. The Mark III’s built-in OLED electronic viewfinder can be a huge benefit for pros.
- 2.36 million dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) provides customization options to match nearly any shooting style or scene
- Touch & Drag AF allows for intuitive operation linking the Electronic Viewfinder and touch panel monitor to quickly adjust focus targeting without looking away from the viewfinder, or using Smooth Zone AF to effortlessly track subjects with the touch of a finger.
- 3.0 inch Vari-angle Touch LCD Monitor helps capture the perfect shot from a variety of challenging angles, including overhead or low-angle shooting.
- Fast continuous shooting up to approximately 7 frames per second (fps), or up to 9fps with AF fixed — working easily with Dual Pixel CMOS AF to track even the most fleeting of subjects with ease.
- A New Shutter Release function offers a sophisticated sense of operation, similar to high-end EOS models, providing a comfortable hold during continuous shooting
- Instantly connect to a smart device via built-in Wi-Fi, NFC or Bluetooth to facilitate easy sharing with friends and family or utilize the Camera Connect app to shoot remotely.
- Panoramic Shot Mode functionality allows users to easily capture panoramic photos, simply be swinging the camera while shooting either vertically or horizontally.
- Capture Full HD 1080/60p Video with high ISO speed shooting and smooth accurate focus when used alongside Canon’s Dual Pixel AF technology, while 5-axis movie IS helps reduce the effect of camera shake when shooting handheld
- Easily capture picturesque Time-Lapse Movies with intuitive settings that help determine intervals and exposure
Price and Availability
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III is expected to be released November 30, 2017 for $1,299 along with the following accessories:
- Canon Lens Hood LH-DC110 – $59.99
- Canon Waterproof Case WP-DC56 – $499.99
- Canon Deluxe Leather Case PSC-6300 – $99.99