Bang & Olufsen recently released a compact 5.1 powered home theater speaker system consisting of 5 disc-shaped speakers and subwoofer, which offers surprisingly room filling sound. The new BeoLab 14 system’s satellite speakers are diminutive circles of anodised aluminium with exchangeable fabric covers in a selection of colors. The aluminium frame subtly reflects surrounding colors to create the illusion that the satellite speakers are even smaller than their actual size. The rear covers of the satellites are white aluminium, while the fabric fronts can easily be replaced with other colors. Most importantly, each speaker driver is powered by its own dedicated amplifier with individual equalization.
The subwoofer’s cabinet provides volume for commanding bass performance, while its sculpturally tapered cylindrical form, topped with the same fabric cover as the satellites, establishes a coherent design that can stand on its own or easily be placed out of the way due to its slender build and small footprint. In addition, all amplifiers and equalizers for each speaker are located in the subwoofer unit.
BeoLab 14 connects seamlessly to all Bang & Olufsen televisions, but is also just one plug away from lifting any other TV or AV receiver into a new level of sound performance. Once connected to a Bang & Olufsen TV, an on-screen guide helps you easily calibrate the surround speakers to the room for optimal surround performance.
The compact new speakers have been put through the same demanding development process as all other Bang & Olufsen products. “BeoLab 14 is the result of a lot of work with our Listening Panel,” says Jens Rahbek, senior sound engineer in the R&D department. “Even with the very best components, sound is a subjective experience. We tune our speakers in a process that includes hours of listening – by different people, in different room environments, at different stages of development – in order to achieve sound that is as close as possible to what the original artist intended.”
Price and Availability
The BeoLab 14 surround sound speaker system is now available in two versions: a four-satellite set ($4,000) designed for Bang & Olufsen TVs where center speaker is already in the TV, and a five-satellite set ($4,400) designed for non-Bang & Olufsen TVs to ensure optimal center channel performance. Ceiling and wall mounts are included, while bookshelf or floor stands are extra.
- Satellite speaker specs:
- Construction: closed cabinet
- 2.5” treble/midrange driver
- Amplifiers for each speaker: 5 x 140 watts
- Thermal protection
- Connections: 1 x speaker
- Subwoofer specs:
- Construction: ported with a downward-facing driver protected by a grill
- 8” bass driver
- Amplifier: 1 x 280 watts. Room adaptation (for optimal sound when the subwoofer is placed in a corner, against a wall, or freestanding)
- Adaptive Bass Linearisation (ABL) A Bang & Olufsen technology that has been specifically customised to get exceptional sound performance from even very compact speakers, while also preventing sudden bursts in the music from damaging the speakers. ABL automatically responds to extreme peaks by reducing bass throughput, ensuring unrivalled Bang & Olufsen performance throughout. In this surround speaker the ABL technology is extended to include the satellite units.
- Thermal protection
- Line sense on/off
- Connections: 5 x speakers; 3 x Power Link incl. 6 x line by Power Link; 1 x A/V multi- connector
- Digital Signal Processor: ADSP-21478KSWZ-1A 200MHz
- Effective frequency range the entire system: 26Hz to 20,000 Hz (-10dB).