International EMF Collaborative Issues a New Report
A new report, “Cell phones and Brain Tumors: 15 Reasons for Concern, Science, Spin and the Truth Behind Interphone,” was released today by a collaborative of international EMF activists. Groups affiliated with the report include Powerwatch and the Radiation Research Trust in the U.K., and in the U.S., EMR Policy Institute, ElectromagenticHealth.org and The Peoples Initiative Foundation. Download the report (pdf).
The expose discusses research on cellphones and brain tumors and concludes:
- There is a risk of brain tumors from cellphone use;
- Telecom funded studies underestimate the risk of brain tumors, and;
- Children have larger risks than adults for brain tumors.
This report, sent to government leaders and media today, details eleven design flaws of the 13-country, Telecom-funded Interphone study. The Interphone study, begun in 1999, was intended to determine the risks of brain tumors, but its full publication has been held up for years. Components of this study published to date reveal what the authors call a ‘systemic-skew’, greatly underestimating brain tumor risk.
The design flaws include categorizing subjects who used portable phones (which emit the same microwave radiation as cell phones,) as ‘unexposed’; exclusion of many types of brain tumors; exclusion of people who had died, or were too ill to be interviewed, as a consequence of their brain tumor; and exclusion of children and young adults, who are more vulnerable.
Lloyd Morgan, lead author and member of the Bioelectromagnetics Society says, “Exposure to cell phone radiation is the largest human health experiment ever undertaken, without informed consent, and has some 4 billion participants enrolled. Science has shown increased risk of brain tumors from use of cellphones, as well as increased risk of eye cancer, salivary gland tumors, testicular cancer, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and leukemia. The public must be informed.”
International scientists endorsing “Cellphones and Brain Tumors: 15 Reasons for Concern” include Ronald B. Herberman, MD, Director Emeritus, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute; David Carpenter, MD, Director, Institute for Health and the Environment, University at Albany; Martin Blank, PhD, Associate Professor of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics, Columbia University; Professor Yury Grigoriev, Chairman of Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, and many others.
15 Reasons for Concern
- Industry’s own research showed cellphones caused brain tumors.
- Subsequent industry-funded research also showed that using a cellphone elevated the risk of brain tumors (2000- 2002).
- Interphone studies, published to date, consistently show use of a cellphone for less than 10 years protects the user from a brain tumor.
- Independent research shows there is risk of brain tumors from cellphone use
- Despite the systemic-protective- skewing of all results in the Interphone studies, significant risk for brain tumors from cellphone use was still found
- Studies independent of industry funding show what would be expected if wireless phones cause brain tumors
- The danger of brain tumors from cellphone use is highest in children, and the younger a child is when he/she starts using a cellphone, the higher the risk.
- There have been numerous governmental warnings about children’s use of cellphones.
- Exposure limits for cellphones are based only on the danger from heating.
- An overwhelming majority of the European Parliament has voted for a set of changes based on “health concerns associated with electromagnetic fields.”
- Cellphone radiation damages DNA, an undisputed cause of cancer.
- Cellphone radiation has been shown to cause the blood -brain barrier to leak.
- Cellphone user manuals warn customers to keep the cellphone away from the body even when the cellphone is not in use.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) warning for cordless phones.
- Male fertility is damaged by cellphone radiation.