Archive through April 19, 2004bryan barber100
Archive through March 11, 2004JC100
Archive through February 16, 2004GusNeedsHD100
Archive through January 04, 2004james ward100
Archive through December 17, 2003NA105
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Username: Omucubani

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the input Philip. I figured that if I can put together a laptop in 30 minutes, what's a LE in that monstrosity ?

But now that you said that all that remained was a stump... makes me have think twice. I read however in one of the posts from two years ago( I used to post here under EA but forgot the password ) from a guy who did this himself, that it requires medium to high knowledge and a lot of patience.

And on top of it, if I do this right, it's only another point in my resume :-)

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. We all paid big bucks for this TV, I hate to see people throw this in the garbage.

I want to thank everyone for keeping this post alive and well informed.

Username: Jimbeckel

Rochester, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 5
Hello to everyone my LE finally quit about two months ago and after calling customer service at Hitachi (Pete was the cust. rep.) I received a replacement LE and 250.00 in labor I was back in business. I am grateful Hitachi has stood behind this TV, it helps to be friendly on the phone with Hitachi and not rude. Again thanks to Hitachi for all the help

Bronze Member
Username: Airhog

Florida

Post Number: 14
Engelbert,

If you can take down a laptop, you can repair this set yourself just as easy. I've done it myself a number of times already, it saved me some big coin. Especially considering the fact that i had to do it again since the refurb they sent me the first time only lasted 3 months before the blob came back.

The second time i pushed for a NEW LE and the set has been perfect ever since. It's not rocket science, not by a long shot. Just tear it down as per the manual, and rebuild accordingly. It will take you about 1-2 hours depending on your level of anl retentiveness :-)

All the same ribbon cables and such that are in a laptop are the same type of fair you will find that connect the LE. There is no calibration or extremely fragile parts to worry about, it's purely plug and play.

If you need any pictures or the manual itself just shoot me an e-mail, I have tons of step by step pics on hand.

On a side note, you posted "i hate to see people throw these in the garbage" well i don't, thats where the three 50v5's i own came from :-) If you have more time than money do it yourself... Then do it again, with a curb side investment you too can be typing your posts on a 50v5:-)

Username: Mikey48

Port Orchard, WA

Post Number: 3
As you can see in my past post I installed my own. Lots of screws, a power screw driver is nice. The LE has extra connections that are not used so you need to note which ones are being used although the cables will not plug in the wrong connector. The top comes off with screw removal and wire disconnect and is where you will need a hand. To slide the LE out the back you will have to move some items asside. Yes I did it to save money and the challenge.

Username: Philip_peake

I wasn't saying its VERY difficult, especially for someone used to dealing with ribbon cable connectors, and not afraid to touch stuff, but it is a bit more involved than the manual suggests.

If you have the time and inclination go for it. Otherwise consider paying someone to free up your time, and deal with any other issues that come up during installation.

The dude came out today, and not too late into the time frame. $ 85, just to tell me, and here's the conversation:

" I am sorry my friend ( heavy spanish accent too )_, but the Light Engine is out."

I just told your boss that the light engine is out. I knew that.

Oh, you fix TV's ?

No, I fix computers.

So you know what's wrong.

Yes.

Aha, $ 765 to fix your TV.

No, $ 85 to you, give me the paper so I call Hitachi to send me the Light Engine.

No, you call Hitachi, I get the Light Engine, $ 425 to install.

I said: No, $ 85 for you, to tell me what I already knew, free Light Engine from Hitachi, I install.

No, he says, not easy, three weeks to get the part from Hitachi, we have it tomorrow.

No, I said, I can still see the stupid Elmo on TV, I'll wait 3 weeks. I will install the part myself.

No, very difficult, he says.

My wife said the same thing about me !...

I'll put it in myself ;)

Yes, he had bad news to tell ME... and he'll bring his son's laptop to ME to fix it.

I'll have bad news for him ...

Username: Danshan

Post Number: 1
Our blue blob (right top hand corner) and red cloud (large in the centre of the screen) journey has begun.

Thank-you to all who have posted as undoubtedly, we would also be paying for the light engine.

Sebastien was the call taker this morning after calling 1-800-hitachi. He was professional, not overly friendly but obviously well-scripted. He refers to no recalls at this time, etc etc. He would not commit to any diagnosis claiming one cannot be made over the phone.

My only concern is that he advised that the tv (50v500) is only warrantied for 12 months and that the 3 years being referred to is the extended warranty. I advised him he was mistaken. He advised that each case is examined by Hitachi head office on a case by case basis ... obviously protecting themselves from a class-action civil litigation due to this obvious systemic defect.

Oh well ... off to the authorized repair place I go and of course, having to pay for the visit from the service centre to 'diagnose' the problem, etc etc.

Thanks again.

Bronze Member
Username: Thepet

Post Number: 17
Ray,

No, no luck with the new lamp (same problem). I did not try to swap the bulb out with the original housing...Right now, all is OK with the original lamp (well over 10K hours) so I am just biding my time.

Anyone with a refurb or new replacement LE that subsequently had to change their lamp and had the problem Ray and I had (flashing red lamp light and then a solid...manual says wrong lamp assembly), please post if you were able to fix. Apparently, forcing the switches in does not help.

-Paul

Username: Rayp

Hey Paul, thanks for the response.

I managed to fix it. The aftermarket housing wasn't hitting the metal switch at the back. I just taped a piece of cardboard to lengthen the plastic contact point on the housing and it works.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2083
­
(well over 10K hours)

New record for lamp life on this thread? They do say the color temperature does change over that amount of time.

All the pundits are advising against buying a rear projection TV becaise you have to replace the bulb every 2000 hours.....
­

Bronze Member
Username: Thepet

Post Number: 18
John,

Yes, well over. My knuckles hurt from knocking wood, but so far, no loss in quality.

Ray, Great news! Justin P had suggested (and posted pictures) the same idea...I just have not tried it yet. Both housings look identical to the naked eye, but maybe it is slightly off and that is all it takes. Glad to see you had success!

-Paul

Username: Tensallday

i was wondering when the screens start to have a red hugh is the bulb just needing replacing or do i have some other issues?

Post Number: 4
Follow up:

Of course, I never got a call within 24 to 48 hours from Hitachi. After a week, I called the service center to see if they were contacted. They were, and Hitachi send the part to THEM, instead of me, without even calling.

After one hour on the phone with Hitachi, I got another supervisor on the phone, this time, an Adam. I explained everything AGAIN.

Point to take: be nice but firm, do not raise your voice. Repeat to them everything 10 times. Bore them, I mean :-)

After I repeated to him over and over again that I am a state certified appliance and TV repair guy, he understood that my concern was the fee that I had to pay for the repair.

" Oh, you didn't mention that the problem was the fee".

Guess what ? HITACHI WILL COVER THE REPAIR FEE !!! You just have to "mention it" to them.

The supervisor did say that in "certain" circumstances they do cover the fee.

Phone number to call Hitachi in the US:

800-654-7013

The part will arrive at the service center at the end of the month. We'll see what develops.

Well, an hour after I talked to the supervisor at Hitachi I got a call from the service center. They got the part and got an appointment for TODAY !

Two folks showed up with a huge box. I wondered if they got the right part.

Well, they took the TV apart, and it is a two men job. Thanks Philip, you were right.

It took them, from the moment they set foot into the living room until the last screw was put in, exactly one hour and 5 minutes ( although only one did the work, the other was an apprentice ). The guy knew exactly what he was doing, changed MANY LE's.

If I were to do it by myself, it would've taken me probably 5 hours.

It turned out that they did bring the right part, only they did not change just the LE. They changed everything, the whole housing the LE stands on, including the fan and the circuit boards from the bottom of it.

Nice job, Hitachi ! What can I say ? They covered the cost of the part and the labor, all done in less than two weeks. Not to mention that the TV is practically brand new again.

I used to be a salesman ( ages ago ), for the now defunct "The Good Guys", and I have never seen such a fast and FREE replacement part for a TV that's completely out of warranty. I will buy Hitachi again.

When I buy a TV, I expect at least a 10 year return on investment, especially when we talk about a TV that cost $ 4000 ( May 2004 is when I bought it ). Heck, my previous JVC 31" tube TV still works and it's 15 years old !

Even if this TV is a 720p and only upconverts to 1080i, I still don't see a huge difference between the Hitachi ( when it works ) and the Sceptre 32" 1080p LCD panel from the kid's play room.

On a separate note:

I was talking to the service tech guy about this LE problem. It seems that almost all brands that came out at the same time with High Definition Rear Projection LCD TV's have problems, because of overheating. The heat causes the filters on the LE ( red, green and blue - RGB ) to melt. Now, since I do have also a new fan ( much quieter by the way than the original ), I wonder how much longer until this problem reappears ?

Shall I do an Adam Moffatt "add a second fan to the back of the TV" job ? :-)

Looks like the heat ( that is also why your laptops die after two, three years, folks ) is the problem with these units. I understand a laptop ( cramped spaces and fast processors and hard drives do not go together ), but in a TV ? The only heat source is the lamp and the circuits, how hot does it get in there to melt the filters ?

Well, because of you guys, I have a new TV again.

John S , I see you are still active after 4 years :-)

Good job, everyone !

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2093
­
Great news EH (EA)! You got the parts and the labor. Good for you. I have often wondered what has been the actual cost to Hitachi with all these LE replacements. I also wonder whether anyone at Hitachi reads this thread.

A friend of mine had the same problem with his much newer (but out of warranty) Sony SXRD and they gave him parts and labor on his. This surprised me because I always thought Sony played hard ball on out-of-warranty work.

Anyway congratulations. Did you see any difference in the old stuff coming out vs, the new parts they put in? Was there any changes made by Hitachi to ensure adequate cooling?
­

Post Number: 6
There are two significant changes.

The first is the air vent/filter on the original is a circular opening about 2" diameter. The filter on mine was completely clogged - this is why the problem happens. On the new units, the hole/filter is about 2" by 6".

The other change is that on the original units the fan was mounted directly onto the metalwork. Now it is mounted with a foam rubber insulator. That is why it is so much quieter.

Is the change sufficient? Well, I have my doubts. In the long term, the filter will still get clogged. Adding the external fan won't do much. What is needed is airflow across the LCDs. They are enclosed, and the only way to get air in is though filter.

Thanks for that Philip, I did not look at the filter size on the new unit.

I will open the TV and will post a ... FORGET IT ! :-)

But !

What if I just do a sort of Mickey mouse job and rig an extra fan INSIDE the TV, that blows directly over the filters ?

It would be easy: just split the power wires from the existing fan and tape it somehow close to the filters. Anything to dissipate the heat I mean.

Just a thought.

John, not really, and I did not pay attention to the size of the filer opening that Philip mentioned. I do notice however that the new fan is quieter and it seems that the TV turns on and off much faster than before.

Did anyone who had this replaced notice that ?

Super Bowl day today ! Can't wait to watch the commercials ! :-)

Username: Rayb

WHAT A GREAT FORUM, I just took my Dads 42v515 that had bad image issues, Yellow center hue when cold and overpowering Blue hue/blob when warm.

After cleaning the lamp, lens and main mirror the image was a little bit better. After reading many forums and results, i decided to call Hitahi (Tv is 3 yrs old , Dec 2004) even though i didnt have the extended warranty.
The Customer service Rep i got was excellent (honestly)and after a 2 minute discussion she agreed to send a new light engine if it was diagnosed by a TV tech, I told her that i didnt want to pay for a Tech to look at the TV for 2 seconds and then tell me Yes it needs a Light Engine, and that I was a service Tech certified by other Electronics companies and had a strong electronics background and that i was willing to install It myself if shipped to me directly, she put me on hold for maybe 2 minutes and came back and said they would cover the light engine and labor once a Tech verified it, She even allowed me to have the repair Shop I wanted to look at it. They took 1 day to fax the info to the TV repair company, and then took another 3-4 days to ship the Light engine, the tech just put it in, and only needed a signature.

I have always been a Sony guy, but honestly this was a great resolution to my issues and Hitachi has moved up to the short list of manufactures that i would prefer to deal with.

Username: Gsys

Is there a difference between the osram and philips Bulb ?

Username: Wetdog

Toronto, Ont Canada

I have a Hitachi 50v500a tv with a bad LE confirmed by a Hitachi service center. It was purchased in Sept 05 and Hitachi Canada is only willing to give me half of the cost of the part and I have to pay for the whole labour. Is this normal practise for Hitachi Canada?, seems like everyone here is getting the LE for free....to me a $700-$800 repair for a 2 1/2 yr old tv is out of line considering I paid close $3000 for it. any help would be great.

Username: Tbone4life

Texas

Hitachi LCD rear projection screen Tv's (50v500a) are not worth fixing because they are a problem the manufacturer caused by design of the console its housed in? if you fix it, it's just a matter of time before it happens again.

I had the pleasure of talking to Kevin at Hitachi's customer support(800-654-7013) today and was told I've waited too long to have them replace the light engine and there is nothing they can do for me at this time. My set is 4 yrs old, that eqautes to almost $1000 a year for this disposeable TV. He says mine lasted this log because it was not in an enclosed cabinet type entertainment center (its on an open stand). I dont remember anything in the instructions saying do not use a enclosed back entertainment center, but should that matter at all? I'm very dis satisfied with Hitachi and learned a lesson with this one. I started to buy a SONY but chose Hitachi for the cheaper price guess the saying is true "you get what you pay for" :-(

Texas

Hitachi LCD rear projection screen TV's (50v500a) are not worth fixing because they are a problem the manufactured caused by design of the console it's housed in? If you fix it, it's just a matter of time before it happens again.

I had the pleasure of talking to Kevin at Hitachi's customer support (800-654-7013) today and was told I've waited too long to have them replace the light engine and there is nothing they can do for me at this time. My set is 4 yrs old that equates to almost $1000 a year for this disposable TV. He says mine lasted this log because it was not in an enclosed cabinet type entertainment center (it's on an open stand). I don't remember anything in the instructions saying does not use an enclosed back entertainment center, but should that matter at all? I'm very dis-satisfied with Hitachi and learned a lesson with this one. I started to buy a SONY but chose Hitachi for the cheaper price guess the saying is true "you get what you pay for" :-(

Post Number: 7
Troy -- you do know that its SONY light engine in the Hiachi, don't you?

You would have had identical problems with that, and Sony were refusing to do anything about it one second after the 1 year guarantee was up. At least Hitachi have made good for most people well beyond the guarantee period.

The new (and refurbished) LEs have a much bigger hole and filter than the originals -- that was what the problem was, nothing to do with where the TV is located. The 2" diameter filter just clogs and there is no airflow to cool the LCDs.

You can get a rebuilt LE for ~$400. If you feel capable, you can replace it yourself, but personally I would advise getting a Hitachi experienced engineer to do it -- someone who has made all the mistakes on someone elses TV :-)

WIth the re-built LE you should get quite a few more years out of it.

Texas

Troy -- you do know that its SONY light engine in the Hitachi, don't you?

Maybe that's the problem; Hitachi wants to be a SONY. I'm sure if Sony manufactured the LE they know what kind of demands it requires to work correctly.

I've actually found a rebuilt LE for $650.00 but have to pay the install $$ too ?, and the TV tech says it's going to burn out in time again. This HITACHI 50V500a is a Boat anchor. I'm thinking a SONY and defiantly NOT HITACHI.

Username: Danshan

I had posted in January regarding the classic blue blob and red cloud. As well, for those of you in Canada such as myself, apparently Hitachi Canada has laid off ALL of their employees in Canada re: salepeople/customer service (except for 2) and ALL operations are based out of the U.S. I have no idea who these 2 lucky employees are or if it is even true however my info comes from a Hitachi authorized store. Having said that, I followed the instructions of the customer service rep and had the authorized tech come out to my place to diagnose the obvious. The authorized service dealer had to fax the repair authorization request a few times before an answer was received (I was told that this Hitachi reorg. has really upset the apple cart). The good news is that we just learned this week that Hitachi is going good for the light engine and that I have to pick up the labour cost (minus the service call) which is estimated at $200. The television had been purchased in October, 2004 so Troy, I have no idea why you would be having this much trouble.

Username: Csguy

After read all the posts found on this site,I decided to try a fix for my 4 years old 50v500 which has common red haze .First call to Hitachi customer servives number,I was intructed to follow routin path:get an authorized hitachi tech. confirmation first.I got the tech.number from they list and set up a visit,got the diagnose with LE problem and call them back.Surpprisingly they said the rep who gave me intruction was wrong since they can't do anything with my tv .Called CR:can't help since they hands too tight?! Called Hitachi rep.numbers of times, talked to superviser: no help since my tv 4 years old.I'm desperated.It cost me $110 and half a day off for diagnosed and many calls but stucked.Wish that they've told me this right at begining.Hope this can help any one looking for LE replacement from Hitachi.

Texas

My TV is also 4 yrs old and Hitachi told me same thing. I kept at them
and wrote a letter to the corporate office and as we speak my TVs' being
repaired( I pay labor $400.00 so far) and they supply the part L.E)
I'm still not holding my breath though cause I'm reduced to a 19"
sitting on a 50" stand right now.

I suggest keep at them. Good luck.

Username: Mikeyk

Troy, I'm in the EXACT same boat. I've just started the process. What's the key? Did the letter finally get you your LE?

Texas

Yes, writing the letter did the trick for me. I had to pay the labor $400.00 and Hitachi provided the LE. Man did it make a difference in the picture.
Good Luck,
Troy

Troy, Thanks!!
Our LE started to go years ago and we chalked it up to the lamp. We knew that would need to be replaced eventually. But our failure to act in a 'timely' manner (according to Hitachi) on the LE seems to be the reason why they can justify stonewalling us now. Happy to pay labor - but the cost of a new LE is not acceptable.

So frustrating but your case gives me hope.

Guys, read my posts. I had them cover the installation for free. Keep bugging them.

Username: Smsamuel

I just started to get the blue blog on the right corner of my TV. Called Hitachi and they said that since I bought the TV in Feb 2005, they could replace the LE for free. Any advice?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2318
­
"Any advice?"

What are you waiting for?

Just an update on my post from 6/6/08: After about 6 phone calls (final one to the right person) Hitachi reluctantly agreed that I deserved a replacement LE at their expense. They also threw in a new lamp for good measure. I was happy to pay labor since my TV is 4 yrs old and well past warranty (about $300 total).

TV's fixed and I couldn't be happier. Picture looks better than I remembered. Good luck to all - persistence pays.

Sorry,

I meant to say that Hitachi said they could NOT replace my LE because I bought it in February 2005. Any advice on who to call?

Username: Luvharmony

Matthew,

Ask to speak to a manager. That is what I had to do. You have to demand that they buy the LE and ship it to the repair company. I had to pay for the repair only. Have a company name and address already established so you can give Hitachi the information to send the LE to. Even be sneaky if you have to, say you called before and they said they needed you to call them back with the repair company's name and address.

Username: Japtida55

if anyone would like to join the class action lawsuit I started for the 50v500a series tv contact www.reyeslaw.com or call 214 526-7900

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 15
Mathew,

My set was made in 03' and they replaced it three times within the last two years. The most recent being last September.

Never did it cost me a dime, not even for installation. One i even installed myself. Keep calling.

mathew the point is we as consumers should not have to keep fixing problem over and over again because of there bad design. big companies think they can do what they want and get away with it they owe us new tv that does not have that problem why you think they stop making taht tv in the first place. because they new it was A bad design

Thanks everyone for the advice. I called Hitachi and after leaving 2 messages every day for about 4 days, I got a call back. They agreed to replace my light engine. I'm just responsible for the labor. Thanks Anthony, Melody, Michael and Justin!!!

Username: Rich_bailey77

Anthony,

Any chance you'll add the 42V715 to the suite as well? Same problems.

Post Number: 8
Re: class action

I can understand the temptation here, but to put this in context, I think its been established that the light engine is actually designed/manufactured by Sony, and was used in their LCD TVs too.

When the problems occurred on Sony equipment, if it was 1 hour out of warranty the owners were told to go pound sand. Hitachi have been much more reasonable, and even absorbed some of the cost for equipment well out of warranty.

I feel rather bad for Hitachi here ... if this case could be re-directed where it belongs (Sony) I think "justice" would be much better served.

Just my 2c ...

Mr. Partida, you do realize that by starting a class action suit you just made some attorney fatter. The users ( yes, it includes YOU, moron ), will get $ 30 OFF towards a purchase of a new TV. BIG DEAL !

I hate imbeciles like you. You get NOTHING, the attorney gets EVERYTHING, you stupid, imbecile, hypocrite.

I apologize to the users of this fine forum for the bad language that I used against the imbecile.

Read the WHOLE, let me repeat, THE WHOLE forum FROM THE BEGINNING ! You CAN get this TV fixed for FREE ! IT IS POSSIBLE !

A law suit makes ANOTHER attorney FAT ! IT WILL NOT HELP YOU ! Get this into YOUR PUNY mind !

Post Number: 9
SONY did NOT make the LE for this TV !

I've asked the tech who fixed mine. FOR FREE !

I did mention that to him, after reading this forum.

He said that NO ! Sony does have the SAME problems with SOME of their units.

But NO, the original LE is made by Hitachi, not Sony.

Similar JVC and Toshiba units have the SAME problem too.

Remember that this units are 5 YEARS OLD, when THIS was NEW technology. 5 years ago !

If I got mine fixed for free after 4 years of usage, so can ANYBODY.

Drop the lawsuit, Mr. Piniada !

Texas

damn it, do i see an anger management candidate here?

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 16
SONY DID in fact make the parts for the LE on this set. Either that or Hitachi just put SONY's name on all the parts inside

I do somewhat agree with Englebert, although not as adamantly. A class action will get us nothing really, and it will take years. If Englebert can get his set fixed anyone can LOL, just an example buddy, no offense but i agree with Troy here as well.

This forum is a great place to DISCUSS subjects concerning our equipment, i don't feel it necessary do demean someones intelligence in order to do so. I'm sure Anthony had good intentions in mind when getting the ball rolling on the class action, but who knows, the point is posting as you did above will only change the subject to you as opposed to the discussion at hand.

Please respect all of us and the forum and tone it down a hair.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2330
Upload
There is absolutely no call for this kind of personal attack on this thread.

you can get madd at me all you want but it does not change the fact that hitachi made bad design and they no it (and by the way the service tech was at my house this weekend fixing my tv and the light engine was NOT made by sony) the service tech did tell me somebody should sue them because they are just putting a band on the problem long enough to meet the statue of limitations on the product which is 6 years. most of these tv where made in 2003 so you can bet at the end of this year the will stop sending replacement light engines for free. the tech also told me before installing my light engine that there is 50/50 chance this new light engine will be broke right of the box. guess what it was so I have to what another week to get my tv fixed. the tech also told me you might get 6 months to year out of this replacement light engine that has been the average for about 90% of the 120 or so he has fixed in the last year. so unless you plan on paying $300 dollar for labor every few months I suggest you join the lawsuit.

Username: Bpsmicro

If your "service tech" is your planned expert witness (you *do* know you'll need an expert witness, or several, to get anywhere, right?), you're already in *big* trouble.

Did you tell your "service tech" that you'd be calling him as a witness so that he can repeat his "expert findings" in open court?

In my experience, the majority of people initiating these so-called class-action lawsuits in fact *work* for the legal firm in question. Law firms that are just hoping lots of foolish people "join" so that they can fleece legal fees out of them when (not if, *when*) it invariably fails.

But really, this isn't even worthy of discussion here since the entire concept is so silly.

I am not a lawyer I dont work for the law firm I am just pissed of comsumer tired of getting ripped of by multi billon dollar companies. I am small business owner who does not treat my customers that way so why should they. I don't care if thet lawyer makes money as long as it gets hitachi attention.

Username: Luvharmony

Anthony,
The pictures someone posted a while back of the LE clearly stated "Sony" So it does appear the LE had to of been manufactured by Sony. Perhaps the new one that will be installed for you is NOT made by Sony. I had my LE replaced (labor was my cost) and it is still going strong. That was in March 2007, or somewhere around there, so I don't believe it will just stop working in 6 months time as you've stated.

I think we should give Hitachi some credit for making it right for the thousands of customers who have contacted them. Yes, they may not make it easy for you, because it is money out of their pockets, but eventually they will give in and do what's right.

You say you've filed the class action to get Hitachi's attention! My personal opinion is PLEASE, they have way too much money. I doubt customers who have had their LE replaced will spend their time with the lawsuit. Hitachi did the right thing.

Texas

Just keep bugging them they will replace the LE. My LE also had SONY on it?

Just got my LE replaced yesterday. I spent $250 for labor but the part was free. Just keep bugging Hitachi and they will give in.

The tv looks great. Just hope the new LE (which is actually a refurbished part) lasts.

Good luck.

Username: Davidrr29

Mathew, I called Hitachi about a month ago and got the whole speech. I got their local repair company to come out and diagnose the problem. LE. I called them back and they said they couldn't help me. I am at a loss. Had TV for 4 years.

I forgot the name of the person I spoke to but I called her for about a week and left messages until she had her assistant (I think Mark) call me back.

I gave the whole line about how I bought a Hitachi because of the name and customer service I heard about. They eventually replaced my LE.

I would keep trying and get a hold of a manager. They will eventually give in.

Good Luck.

Username: Dopalgangr

I am having the same issue, bought the TV in 2/04 noticed the red glare starting in 2006, was told by Sears that it was just the bulb going and that replacing the bulb would fix it. Well last weekend the bulb finally went, I replaced it and guess what the red sploch is bigger than ever!!. So I stumble across this site and the whole LE thing. Call Hitachi customer relations, they tell me that there is nothing they will do, talk to a jackass of supervisor named Christopher and he says he will do nothing since I'm just know calling about it. Ask for another supervisor, he says there is no one that will do anything for me and that he is the top guy. So I payed a tech to tell me that its the LE for nothing. That class action suit sounds better and better, even $30 is better than the nothing I got.

Glen,

Call at another time when that guy, Chris, is not working and do the same thing.

Username: Hobohro

Does anyone out there have any LEs, good or bad, they would like to get rid of? If so send me a note.

Username: Fly0802

I have TWO 50V500's. I called Hitachi about defective light engine as did everyone else on this site. They agreed to fix one of them but not the other. Said second one was out of warranty.

I called back determined to get some satisfaction and was on phone for three hours and talked to five different people. The last guy I talked to tried to tell me that Hitachi is not having issues with their LEs. WHAT??? They already replaced one of mine for free!!! He refused to transfer me to his supervisor (told me there was no way he could transfer me because she was in a different building) and told me that I would have to call a different number. I obviously refused. I was determined to waste his time at this point. I refused to hang up (and he couldn't hang up on me) It took him another 45 minutes to finally transfer me to his supervisor. I got her voice mail. Go figure. I left a message but never got a call back.

I never returned and still have the defective LE that they took out of my first TV. Anyone know where I can get it refurbished?

Username: Mark245

Dallas, TX USA

Hitachi Faces Dallas Federal Lawsuit Over
HD Television Defects

Class-action could involve tens of thousands of Hitachi TV owners

DALLAS -- The Law Offices of Heygood, Orr, Reyes, Pearson & Bartolomei in Dallas has filed a lawsuit against the American subsidiary of Japanese consumer electronics giant Hitachi (NYSE: HIT) over alleged defects in the company's high-definition television sets. According to the lawsuit, tens of thousands of consumers who bought the high-end TVs may be experiencing the same trouble.

Plaintiff Anthony Partida of Dallas says he and other owners of Hitachi's 50V500A model LCD rear projection television are experiencing a design defect that creates green "blobs," red "blooms," green haze, blue dots, yellow lines and other color anomalies on their TV screens. The lawsuit, which seeks class-action status on behalf of every owner of the 50V500A model, says the defect makes the televisions useless for their intended purpose.

In the lawsuit against Hitachi America Ltd., filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, attorneys for Mr. Partida say Hitachi has known of the defect since early 2005, but the company has continued to sell the defective sets. Despite the company's knowledge of the problem, the lawsuit continues, Hitachi has been unable or unwilling to develop a solution.

"Hitachi has been more than willing to take people's money for these TV sets and they should be more than willing to fix them," says attorney Eric D. Pearson of Heygood, Orr, Reyes, Pearson & Bartolomei, who represents Mr. Partida in the case. "In some cases, people paid $3,500 or more for these TVs. You can't take that kind of money and deliver a defective product."

Brisbane, Calif.-based Hitachi America is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Hitachi, Ltd., a telecommunications, electronics, power systems, digital media and consumer products giant that employs more than 400,000 people worldwide.

The Law Offices of Heygood, Orr, Reyes, Pearson & Bartolomei is a Texas civil litigation firm representing businesses and individuals in matters involving personal injury claims, contract disputes, business torts, professional negligence and more.

More information on Heygood, Orr, Reyes, Pearson & Bartolomei is available at http://www.reyeslaw.com.

For more information on the case involving Hitachi television defects, please contact Mark Annick at 800-559-4534, 214-213-1754 (mobile) or mark@androvett.com.

Texas

I wonder if we can get our labor costs back, for those of us that paid the labor? Way to go Anthony.

Bronze Member

Florida

Well my guess is that Hitachi wont be replacing a single LE after hearing this. So good luck with the law suit, if it doesn't work out you screwed us all, either way it's going to be stuck in court for the next 5 years so everyone might as well go buy a new set in the meantime.

I got news for all you people defending hitachi the are not going to replace LE anymore they claim they did a case study and there is nothing wrong with the TV sets. this is coming from bill a manager I spoke with at hitachi employee # 6032. he said they have found the tvs that have problems is our fault from over use and not enough ventilation for the TV sets. Also in october the statue of limitations runs out on this TV. the law says 6 years from the date it was manufactured not the date you bought the TV. most of these TVS where manufactured in march-june of 2003. so good luck getting hitachi to help after that

Bronze Member

Florida

"I got news for all you people defending hitachi the are not going to replace LE anymore"
Really, thats odd? Why would they do that?

"they claim they did a case study and there is nothing wrong with the TV sets."
Hmmm, sound like there setting up there defense

"he said they have found the tvs that have problems is our fault from over use and not enough ventilation for the TV sets" Silly us, it was our fault all along

Seriously,.. does any of this really surprise you?, you just filed a class action that could cost them a few million. The response from them is textbook.

Well my guess is that Hitachi wont be replacing a single LE after hearing this. So good luck with the law suit, if it doesn't work out you screwed us all, either way it's going to be stuck in court for the next 5 years so everyone might as well go buy a new set in the meantime

Well, I've been trying to get mine replaced for 2 weeks and numerous calls with nothing being done. I tried all the tricks and still "sorry". So I hope this does cost them millions, that still better than them getting off scott-free. And for those that got there's replaced for free kudos to you. But what about the other thousands of people who have the issue and got nothing but a hard time from Hitachi? F'EM

well justin the lawsuit still has not been filed yet so they know nothing of a the lawsuit yet.

Texas

Does Justin maybe work for Hitachi?

Username: Amoffatt

Chicago, IL

PLEASE SEE MY POST ON August 29, 2007, SEPT 1st, 2007, and Sept 2nd!!!!$#@^%!$#@%!

you whiny pieces of crap talking about this law suit just pissed me off too much. I've been a member of this forum since i got this TV FROM MY NEIGHBORS GARBAGE and tore it a part BY MYSELF to fix it. i found this forum, and like all of the other INTELLIGENT people on here, fixed it, and have had a great TV ever since.

grow some balls and fix this sh!t yourself. quit your complaining and trying to blame someone else. yes, it was a bad part, and if i remember correctly those LCDs were made by SONY! Also, Hitachi have replaced many MANY MANY of these LE's for people with NO RECEIPT!@!!#$%! who does that? greedy a$#holes? NO! you ungrateful pieces of sH!t looking for something free because YOU waited until it got bad enough to call in. When you see a problem, start looking in to it then! OR...before you spend 3K on a set, f!#king RESEARCH IT!!$#%! The internet is a pretty common thing these days, with all kinds of information for consumers. There are things called "reviews" by actual people who've USED THE PRODUCT YOU WANT TO BUY! and what's cool is this thing called "google" where you can actually research to find out HOW TO FIX IT YOURSELF FOR UNDER $400 and 3 hours of work (i guess if you have to use your feet it might take a bit longer)

spare me the pity party and the law suit bull S*!T. god you're a bunch of babies.

To the people who started this forum and originally helped me with things...Godbless you guys. you are the techs the internet needs the most and often are undervalued. I'm sorry I didn't contribute more myself. I recently found the video I made while tearing this TV apart for the first time and it was pretty funny. I labeled all wires and made voice notes on the video so i wouldn't forget. lol

That easy for you to say, you dug yours out of the trash, try spending $3500 on the f'ing thing then add $400 and come back and give us your opinion then!!!

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 19
"well justin the lawsuit still has not been filed yet so they know nothing of a the lawsuit yet."

So then the entire post Mark wrote above is just a bunch of misinformation?...

"DALLAS -- The Law Offices of Heygood, Orr, Reyes, Pearson & Bartolomei in Dallas has filed a lawsuit against the American subsidiary of Japanese consumer electronics giant Hitachi (NYSE: HIT) over alleged defects in the company's high-definition television sets. According to the lawsuit, tens of thousands of consumers who bought the high-end TVs may be experiencing the same trouble.

In the lawsuit against Hitachi America Ltd., filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, attorneys for Mr. Partida say Hitachi has known of the defect since early 2005, but the company has continued to sell the defective sets. Despite the company's knowledge of the problem, the lawsuit continues, Hitachi has been unable or unwilling to develop a solution.

If it wasn't filed then why was that posted?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 20
"Does Justin maybe work for Hitachi?"

If you look at my post history i think you can clearly see that i DO NOT work for Hitachi. I gave plenty of info to help people get there sets fixed.

As well as fully photo documented all it's flaws.

Bronze Member
Username: Ontarff

Post Number: 12
LAWSUIT UPDATE: Vickie at Reyes Law told me this morning that they are only taking names for people who have purchased the set in the last 18 months. I have recently experienced the blue cloud after 5 years.}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Just got off the phone with Hitachi customer service. She told me that because my unit was 5 years old, there was NOTHING Hitachi could do for me. I explained to her that the problem was a defective light engine that has since been redesigned. She could only refer me to an electronics store that could sell me a new light engine. I called for a price. The price was $676.88 for a rebuilt unit. On ebaY, the price is advertised $446.58 with a trade-in credit of $200.00 on the old LE. The ad states that it is new but I suspect it is rebuilt if they are asking for a trade-in for credit on the supposedly new part. Fox International (1-800-321-6993) told me that the NEW LE would have to be shipped directly from the manufacturer. My price including shipping and handling would be $ 1,272.15! I will still have to do my own installation of the LE or pay a service technician to install it for me. I spent $2400.00 on this set 5 years ago. Hitachi sucks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
You would think that with today's technology, the TV would automatically shutdown and generate an error code for any kind of contamination or overheating problem that could result in any damage to the internal components of the unit. Is this example of the 50V500 LE problem demonstrating what is classically described as "engineered obsolescence"?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Does anyone know if individual glass panels/filters/lenses that are damaged from heat in the light engine can be replaced individually? This would save a lot of money.

Bronze Member

I sent an email to Hitachi telling them how pissed off I was for purchasing this HDTV. I told them I would not buy another Hitachi product. A customer service representative called me. He told me that Hitachi will send a light engine at no cost to an authorized technician. I would have to pay for the installation.

Unfortunately, I thought I was done with this set and as a last resort I would try to make repairs myself. I have the service manual that shows pictures how to remove the light engine. I already had the TV disassembled and the light engine out when they called.

I called the service technician and he told me that he could not pick up a disassembled set. He would put in the light engine from Hitachi for $485.00
I had to reassemble it and he would come and get it.

Now I really screwed up! While reassembling the dang thing I accidently broke the ribbon connector that connects the main board to the light engine and pulled out the connector on the lamp power unit. A replacement board sells on ebaY for around $100.00 and a replacement lamp power unit for around $200.00. I have a few parts left over that I am also having a little difficulty figuring out where they went. I did not video tape my disassembly. I thought I could remember where everything goes. Oh well. I think I am going to just scrap this loser. There is no guarantee of any kind on the replacement light engine. It is a rebuild from Hitachi. I have heard bad things about these rebuilt LEs. Sour grapes rationalization? I don't think so!

Danny,

I have been trying for weeks to get them to do something and they will do nothing. Can you tell me what email address you used and if you dont mind could you pm me a copy of the letter so I can word my appropriately? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
gt

Username: Felchy

I purchased a 50V500A in August 2004 from Visions Electronics. I purchased the 5 year extended warranty along with it. I called recently to get the light engine replaced. The technician I talked to said that Visions had some sort of arrangement with Hitachi and if Hitachi would send out a free replacement light engine, they would fix the TV. Otherwise they would probably just give me a new TV. I guess Hitachi gave them the light engine for free because a technician is coming to install it on Monday.

Username: Mceranowski

Ocean Springs, MS USA

I purchased a 50V500A in 2004, had a total of 6600 hrs on the bulb when it burned out last month and the blinking red lamp light kept blinking. I replaced the bulb with one of the complete bulb/cage replacements. I had some red vertical lines (occasionally) prior to the bulb burning out. Also had a very small ghost. Now the ghost is worse. No amount of using the service menu...including small tweaking then returning to an active input will fix the problem. I can make it worse but never any better. Did a memory init on the service menu and thought it was better until I turned on my XBOX on input 2 as well as checking a different tv program on input 1...now the picture is much worse than before the memory init. So what did I do? After reading all of these posts, emailed Hitachi Customer Support....you can imagine their reply. Here is the string of emails thus far.

My response to Ben

This of course was the reply I expected based on feedback posted by other customers on any of the various forum sites.

Is it the realistic opinion of the Hitachi Corporation that a consumer should spend $3000 on an HDTV set produced by them, then within 4 years pay another $1000 for a light engine plus the amount of labor costs???

Is it be considered reasonable for the consumer to expect to pay 50% of the original cost of the television within several years following the purchase to have an acceptably working television that lives up to the promise of being an HDTV set??? This IS a known problem...it is posted everywhere, MANY people have the same problem with the light engine defect.

At least when Microsoft knew they had a problem with the XBOX 360 and the "ring of red lights" they addressed the problem. They offered to fix the problem in order to keep loyalty of their consumers. I was surprised that they did this, but nonetheless pleased that they were willing to stand by their product. I know this was the case because when I sent my XBOX in for repair it was replaced...to my surprise replaced with a new unit, I only expected a repair.

I am not asking for a replacement tv set. I have sent this email to see what the Hitachi Corporation is willing to do to fix this problem. I, as every other owner who bought this television model in good faith, do not find it reasonable that we are expected to eat a total cost of $4500 (including the repair for a known light engine defect) for a $3000 television.

Please elevate this to the next higher level.

Ben's response to my email

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Hitachi Customer Service <customerservice.ce@hhea.hitachi.com> wrote:

Mr. Ceranowski,

Thank you for visiting the Hitachi website and for your inquiry.

I apologize for the inconvenience and the trouble you are having with your TV. Unfortunately, given the amount of time that has passed since our warranty on the TV expired, we are unable to cover any repairs.

If you have any further questions about any Hitachi product, please call our technical assistance number at 1-800-HITACHI.

Again, thank you for your interest in Hitachi.

Ben
Hitachi Home Electronics

--Original Message--

From web page:Hitachi Global Support Form
Subject: 50V500A light engine defect
Product Category: Monitors (HDTV)

Question: I purchased a 50V500A in early 2004 from Conn's in San Antonio, TX. Until about 6 months ago it was a pretty good HDTV set, I purchased it because the picture quality at the time of viewing in the store was incredible. That...has changed! At first I started noticing some red vertical lines that were there only occasionally. Now I have the "red ghost" shadows as well as the "red cloud". It appears that my set has made it longer than some with known light engine issues, by all accounts that can be read on HD forums some 50V500 light engines only lasted 6-12 months. However, I am quite shocked that paying nearly $3000 for an HDTV projection LCD would give me a picture quality worse than my 1993 Zenith 27" tube tv. Is there any current resolution policy at Hitachi for this problem?

Ocean Springs, MS USA

I just looked up Hitachi Home Electronics on the BBB website. Over the past 36 months they have had 85 complaints (I suspect a lot of these were filed by people who got the persistent "we can't do anything for you" response and decided to file a complaint)...per the BBB Hitachi has resolved 100% of the complaints. Maybe there is hope of getting this fixed.

This is what they told me after I complained to there Corp HQ:

Dear Glen-san, We are sorry for your disappointment. We are on the road to reestablish our philosophy applying to all group companies all over the world. So, we will adjust our CS management according to your opinion from now on. Best regards, CSR Promotion DepartmentHitachi, Ltd.

Glen-san?????

Username: Bpsmicro

Corp HQ is in Japan, and the respondent is obviously Japanese. Use of "-san" is their rough equivalent of "Sir" or "Mr", and proper use of it is a sign of respect.

Having said that, it's unclear what his response means to *you*. It may (and probably should) be forwarded directly to Hitachi-USA's head office.

You may also want to try logging a BBB complaint. If they really are at a 100% resolution rate, that indicates it'll either be dealt with, or at least you can have the satisfaction of lowering their score to 99%. :-)

Brad.

Brad,

Thanks, I just finished filling out my BBB complaint, lets hope it works

Ocean Springs, MS USA

So last night after I received the second reply I sent back a message to them. Thinking "reply to sender" may not work I also replied on the Hitachi website. I wonder how long it will take for CR to call?

Here is the first reply from Keith:

Michael,

We apologize for the inconvenience. Due to the nature of your situation, we have forwarded your message to our Customer Relations department. A representative from this department will be contacting you shortly in regards to your message.

Or, if you so desire, you may also contact the Customer Relations department directly at 1-800-654-7013. We have representatives available from 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM (CT) Monday - Friday. Please reference your e-mail address if you decide to call in as a customer service file has been created based upon your e-mail contact.

Thank you again for writing Hitachi.

Keith, Hitachi Home Electronics

And the second from Ben:

Mr. Ceranowski,

We have forwarded your message to our Customer Relations department. A representative from this department will be contacting you shortly in regards to your message.

Or, if you so desire, you may also contact the Customer Relations department directly at 1-800-654-7013. We have representatives available from 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM (CT) Monday - Friday. Please reference your e-mail address if you decide to call in as a customer service file has been created based upon your e-mail contact.

Thank you again for writing Hitachi.

Ben
Hitachi Home Electronics

First pic shows the nice red cloud.
Second pic can't even make out the 08 because of the cloud...this was from an HD cable feed.

Upload
Upload

Ocean Springs, MS USA

Here is the link to Hitachi on the BBB website
http://www.our.bbb.org/SanDiego/Public/Reports/RR/PopUp/Complaint_Detail.aspx?fi rm=29000646

Ocean Springs, MS USA

Status update on Customer Service:

I was called this afternoon by Bob from Hitachi, unfortunately I was at the point of having to clean the grout off my tile project so had to call back. Expecting that I would be on the phone for hours waiting I called them back and waited no longer than 5 minutes, probably less to be honest. The number I was given by Bob is 800-654-7013. Bill was the person I talked to this time. After opening the file started because of my emails he got back on the phone and stated that the way to proceed from here (as everyone has been told) is to get a tv repair person to confirm that the light engine is the problem. Once that is confirmed, they will provide the light engine free of charge, but I will have to pay the labor cost. So far I am very happy with the response...but will have to see if I can get them to budge on the labor as others on here have. Bill also confirmed that this is a redesigned LE and not a remanufacture of the same design originally put in our 50V's. I was ready to file a complaint with the BBB as well, but wanted to hear what they had to say first. Even started drafting a letter to the corporate/US HQ last night. So far, so good...more to come.

Michael,

Good luck with that, they told me the same thing and now I'm out the money to have a repair man come look at it plus no light engine!!!

Ocean Springs, MS USA

Hopefully persistence will pay off. Good luck with the BBB complaint. If I get the same treatment, that will be the next step for me too.

GREAT NEWS!!! I got a call from Hitachi today saying that they will replace the light engine and all I am responsible for is the labor. Its a shame that I had to end up filing a complaint with the BBB in order to get this rectified. I guess the squeaky wheel does get the grease !! I hope everyone else has the same luck that I had. Thanks to Michael for the BBB advice, I would still have a broken tv and would have ended up spending alot more on a new one without it.

Username: Everette

I recently replaced the light engine in my Hitachi 50V500A, no thanks to Hitachi, and it worked fine for about 4 weeks. Now it is doing some strange colors following contours and edges. I have attached pictures of what it is doing and would appreciate any help.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Username: Chasm

Cincinnati, OH

Everette- try this first; it fixed a bizzare pink hue that overpowered everything on my Hitachi one day. Quote from earlier post:

"Jonathun, I just had to fix the problem you describe on my 50V500. What you need to do is get into the service menu and do a "Memory Init".

To do this, you must first set your TV to an un-used input, then turn the TV off. Your set has to stay off for at least 2 minutes. Then, push and hold the "Input" button on the front of the set, push the power button on the front of the set, and immediately release both buttons. This should get you into the service menu. IF you hold the "Input" button too long, it will exit the menu. If you haven't waited with it off for 2 minutes, you can't get the next steps to work:

Once you're in the Service Menu, you use the remote to navigate the menus. Push "Menu" to get to a second page of options. Use the joystick button to cycle down to the field "Init Memory" (or was that "Memory Init"?). Push the joystick button to the right and hold it there for a few seconds- until the check box is checked. At this point the pink hue should go away. From here, you can exit out and go back to watching TV.

I know that I also did a "Factory Reset" first on the first page of the Service Menu, but I don't think it's neccessary.

PS- make a note of your lamp hours. They will be reset."

Good Luck
chas

Chas, thanks for the info. I did the memory init and it did help, for about 10 minutes. Then the funky colors came back. Could this be a cable connection to the light engine, since I did replace it recently?
Everette

The problem has progressed to where the color is mostly chartreuse over most of the picture. Does this sound like a light engine?Upload

Username: Hitchhiker

HAPPY HALLOWEEN 2008 . . . .
New to the forum but wanted to add my 2 cents on the "pink cloud" saga.
My set was manufactured in August 2003 and purchased in April 2004 ($2674.76 delivered) and started getting cloudy in August 2008.
Set up a file with Hitachi Cust Relations on 30 October 2008 after carting the set back to where I purchased it for a free evaluation (and to avoid a service call) of the "bad light engine". Hitachi verified with my stores manager and the engine will be in by 7 November 2008 at no charge of course. The manager has agreed to hand me the light engine if I install it myself and return the "core".
So far, so good, as I don't plan on putting another dime in this set above the purchase price.

Update:

Well I got my set back from the shop yesterday with a brand new light engine from Hitachi. I thought they might send a remanufactured one but they didnt and sent the newest model. I did have to pay labor of $180 but thats better than $1200
The guy at the repair shop did tell me that Sony had this same issue with some of there sets and they openly took responsibility and repair them free of charge. They also extended the light engine warranty until 2010. Next time I'm getting a Sony. Lets hope that this new light engine from Hitachi will last though, he also told me that he has had two of them only last a year

Username: Chasm

Cincinnati, OH

Everette,

That really looks more like a bad connection somewhere. It's a 3-color engine, so once you lose Red & Blue you're left with shades of green. I know it's a lot of work to find & re-seat all the connectors, but I think you need to try that.

chas

While I'm waiting for my new LE to be shipped . . . .
Has anyone tried R&R on the 50V500 bad LCD's? It can't be rocket science, considering where these sets were made. It appears that if none of the other optics are upset, a new LCD(s) would drop right in. Finding a p/n or source might be a challenge.
Suggestions?

Post Number: 10
One other thing to note, I had one stuck green pixel prior to the new light engine being installed. After I got the set back it was no longer there? Does the light engine also have the LCD part in it that would have a stuck pixel??

Glen,
Yes, the LCDs are the heart of the light engine (if you discount the electronic drivers). I disected my LE last night to get to the LCD part numbers and here is what I'll be shopping for as backup LCDs (they are made by Sony by the way):
Sony (red LCD)
LCX043ANB7
330274P
RR (large letters)

Sony (green LCD)
LCX043APB8
326P43P
GL (large letters)

Sony (blue LCD)
LCX043ANB6
329365P
BR (large letters)

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 21
Well the actual "Heart" of the engine would have to be the prism that the picture from the LCD's is projected on, this in turn combines the three images. This part also sustains heat damage and would be difficult to replace. There are also filters over the LCD screens that get heat damaged. I think there's a shot of it in my old post.

Even if you did not have any visible damage to the above mentioned parts, replacing just the LCD's and not fixing the overheating issue itself will inevitably end you up right were you started.

Whatever . . .
...anyway I plan on upgrading the cooling when my new LE arrives even before I turn it on. Plan on getting max mileage out of this beast! Will call Sony about the individual LEDs, for backup, before they are even more obsolete.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 22
"Whatever"

Just trying to help, if you want to waste your time and cash go ahead. Good luck

Bronze Member

I scrapped the 50V500. I saved the circuit boards and LE if anyone needs them contact me at ontarff@netscape.net

After an intense visual inspection, I could not find any imperfections with the filters or LCDs on the light engine. Something else must have been causing the blue cloud. It wasn't worth putting about $500 dollors for labor and another $200 for parts into this set. I bought a new 58" Samsung plasma "Touch of Color".

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2363
­
Best of luck with the Samsung Danny...Upload

Username: Foosking

We have a 50VX500. We have blue around the edges of the screen, like a blue picture frame more prominent on dark images. What button do I have to press to see the 480I, 480p, 1080I and so on displayed on the tv? In the service menu it shows 19411 total. It cant be hours cuz I can see it change several times. I saw a lamp time reset but no lamp time values.

Username: Marble68

Well, I have a 50v500a for sale if anyone wants it. I'm in a North suburb of Dallas / Ft. Worth. The LE is out; but has a new lamp and I have the original.

Local only; I have no desire to ship it but will meet someone half way if they have cash.

Have remote, perfect condition (sans crappy LE). I think I even have the owners manual.

My presumption is someone who knows how to fix the LE could get it working.

I don't have the time or desire.

If you're local, email me an offer at chris 19 68 (at) gmail dot com.

Username: Fly0802

UPDATE

I filed a complaint with the BBB and guess what....Hitachi replaced the LE for free and covered the labor on a set I bought second hand!!! I highly recommend that route for all 50V500 owners. It's a defective part and they need to be held responsible regardless of whether it's under warranty or not!!!

Update:
Hitachi replaced the LE and we covered labor ($200). I cant complain as the set is 3 years out of warranty. This was a floor model hence the 19,000+ hours. The service tech couldnt believe it when he saw the hours. After the LE was replaced it looked like a new tv. Brighter picture no blue frame around the edges. The only complaint is the tech did something and now the picture seems to be moved up. I can see a line of white light in the bottom right corner and when the picture has the black bars on top and bottom it isnt centered, less on top and more on bottom. Anyone know what verticle setting in the service menu to fix this?
We just purchased a 2nd tv. 42" Panasonic 1080p Plasma from Costco for $899 TH-C42FD18 and they have the 50" version too. Great tv for the price, havent read any problems with them either.

Username: Toddnjoy

Hello all we recived a 50V500 as a gift and it has the bad lcd blob as i disected it and took digtal pic and emailed it to the service guy who then sent me an invoice in pdf so i can email it to hitachi cross yoyr fingers and let's hope hitachi will r&r my light engine to. Also dose any one have a good wireing diagram for the light engine hook up or at least some good pics of them. Thanks Todd

So far so good Hitachi is covering the light engine and my service rep is probably going to just give me the light engine to install myself any and all help would be awesome as i didn't label my wires so help me with this if you can thanks.

well i put it back together and it has been about 3 weeks and all is good so far love the TV.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2446
­
Todd, did you see any difference between the old LE and the new one?
Has Hitachi found any remedy for the overheating problem?

Username: Waterkooled84

Just bought a 50v500 for $150 bucks from a local craigslist ad.

It had a Ghost issue, but the service menu fixed that. YEAAAAA.....

Anwyays... Does anyone have an extra front panel to this model? I just need the little door that covers all the inputs and the controls on the front.

Thanks. This forum is awesome BTW.

Username: Jpsotos

New to this thread. I have a 50V500A that I purchased back in 11/2003. over the last year the fan has seemed to be continually on. Today we turned the TV off (seemed to be working fine, picture ok) and when we went to turn it back on, there is no picture what so ever. Is this a blown bulb, a LE issue? and where can I get hold of a manual to see how hard it is to access these areas. All responses appreciated. Merry Christmas

Texas

John, quick fix bumb front panel under the Hitachi.

Directly below the screen is the front panel which comes off and behind that on the left is the bulb housing. It has a small handle to pull it out with. I would also take the back off and use an air compressor to blow out all the dust that has gathered in the last 6 years.

Username: Jpsotos

Thanks, for the advice.
My electrician brother-in-law was able to locate a manual for me and I've removed the bulb assembly as described above. the bulb doesn't look burnt out though. When looking at the front panel lights when I turn the set on, both the lamp and temp light turn briefly on and are red, so I'll assume it is the bulb. I plan on ordering on line, replacing and see if my problem is fixed..... I will also take back panel off and try and blow out dust as well

Username: Spitoon

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

Hi Everyone! Great forum, tons of good info.

My eyes are weary after reading through the last couple years worth of posts :-)

I have a 50v525e that I purchased about 5 years ago. I see that most people are seeing a blue or red/pink discoloration...mine is yellow?

I replaced the original bulb this past November (way over 10K hours on it). Towards the end of it's life, I began noticing a slight yellow fringe around the screen...2-3" around the perimeter....not a huge deal as it was around the edge, not in the main viewing area. After the bulb replacement everything was good for a month or so, but now I'm noticing a yellow haze in the middle of the screen...much more obtrusive than the old fringe around the edge. I began wondering if it had to do with me buying a 'cheap' bulb (~$100), but today I swapped the bulb out with a new one and it still has the same problem.

Does anyone have any idea if this might be a LE problem? Could it something as simple as dust build up? Could it be heat damage to one of the lenses?

I'm pretty late to the party here, so I'm not really expecting any help from Hitachi if it is the LE, but any advice would be appreciated.

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

Here is a picture of my issue:

Upload

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2638

quote:

Does anyone have any idea if this might be a LE problem? Could it something as simple as dust build up? Could it be heat damage to one of the lenses?

The actual color of the "blob" might vary from TV to TV, depending on which of the three color panel (or panels) gets fried. This looks like it can only be a light engine problem, and I'm afraid it looks terminal. You can confirm that with a qualified technician.

I've not heard of a 50v525e. It must be a model that replaced the 50/60V500 that almost everybody else had or has on this thread. I wouldn't spend more than $500 on this TV, given the current prices on new 720p 50" panels these days. (I'm talking the US market -- not sure about up North.)

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

Thanks for the reply John.

From what I can tell the 50v525e might just be a Canadian Designation on the 50v500...I can't find any technical differences between the two.

I have found a place that's showing re-built light engines for under $300US...I'd probably be willing to spend that. I'm pretty sure I can do the work myself as I'm very experienced in all kinds of repairs (computers, cars, electrical/plumbing :-))

I'm just a little worried about the replacement part being worth the money...I mean if it lasts another 4-5 years, then I guess it's worth it...if it lasts only 1 year then obviously not...where's my crystal ball?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2639
­
A re-built LE should last at least as long as the original. There have been a few brave souls on this thread who have replaced the LE themselves. There's about a thousand screws and many connections to keep track of. I would never try it without some help.

I would have some hesitation about investing more into a display that has such poor black levels compared to some of the present entry level plasmas of the same screen size.

Here are some of of justin powers pictures of a typical damaged light engine.

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=897458#POST897458
­

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

Yeah, I appreciate how there are much better TV's out there...this one doesn't even do 1080p. Even 'cheap' 50" 720p sets are around $1000 up here. I'm far from a videophile, I just want something with nice HD image and it has to have very little gaming lag.

The issue is that I'm not in a position to spend the kind of money that it's going to take to replace the TV...it's going to be tough enough to come up with the money to fix it at $300-$400. It's simply not in the budget at this time. I really wasn't planning on having to replace this TV 5 years after I bought it.

I'll have to think about it. Thank you for spending the time John.

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

Good news...for some reason I was convinced that we bought this TV 5 years ago in February, and I was also pretty sure that we didn't buy an extended warranty.

My wife was pretty sure that we bought it 4 years ago in February and that we did buy a 5 year extended warranty.

After much digging through old paperwork, I have to say this:

My wife was right, and I was wrong. ;)

That hurt...

But only a little as it looks like I might be able to get this fixed after all.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2643
­
Good news indeed.

That means you bought this in 2006. The V500s were first on the market in the fall of 2003, so your V525 surely must be a newer model.

In any case, good luck and let us know how it turns out for you. I think you just might end up with a new TV over this.

­

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

I'm wondering about that myself.

The retailer does have very specific "Product Repair Warranties" and "Product Replacement Warranties" and I clearly have the "Product Repair Warranty", which is fine with me as long as it ends up working.

If they deem it 'un-fixable' then I guess we will have to see what they offer.

I'll definitely post back here as to the results.

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

TV Tech guy came out today. Stayed for about 5 minutes :-)

Looked at the TV and said "Definitely the light engine. That's a pretty major repair. 2nd one I've seen today, exactly the same model."

I guess he now sends the paperwork to the company that administers the extended warranty and they decide what to do next...either order parts and line up the repair, or authorize a replacement.

Keep your fingers crossed ;)

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

I did a little more digging and it appears as though the 50V525e is indeed a later model...uses a different part number for the LE as well.

Interesting that they wouldn't have remedied this problem in later models.....

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2645
­
Exactly what I was thinking.

Plasma and LCD panels may have problems of their own, but we are far better off without these rear projection TVs now.

Out of curiosity, did you operate the TV in a hot environment? Maybe the fan stopped running and you didn't notice?

­

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

The fan still runs....besides, it's hardly 'hot' way up here in the north :-)

No report back from the warranty company yet. They said "2 or 3 days", which would be Friday.

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

So they are going to replace the TV...the repair was 'not economical'.

I suppose that's good news. The bad news is that they only have to replace the TV with one that has the same features. The two features that matter in this case are the size (50") and the resolution (720p).

In this case, they have a 50" LG Plasma 720p for $800...so that's the 'store credit' that I will receive. Kind of sux to have paid $2400 for a TV 4 years ago and get 'only' a credit for $800.

Admittedly, the 50" LG Plasma is probably a better TV than what I had due to improvements in the technology...but I'm going to have to upgrade a bit...no sense in buying the bottom of the barrel right now.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2648
­
Almost anything new will be an improvement over the old TV. I'm not too big on LG. If the store carries the Panasonic plasmas, I would move over to those. They still make 720 50", but I would move up to the 1080 S1 or S2 model, which is still a long way from their top of the line.

In my HT, the 50V500 isn't all that large so personally I would move up to a bigger screen (1080 of course).

­

Bronze Member

Airdrie, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 11
Yeah, I'm going to steer away from the LG's...I've not read good things about them.

I'm pretty sure it will be a Samsung or a Panasonic Plasma. The LCD's are too expensive right now and I'm really trying to squeeze the most out of this process that I can...considering that my budget for a new TV at this point is $0.

I think I can get to a pretty nice model for about $500-$600 out of my pocket...unless they offer me way more than I'm expecting on my exchange.

Thanks for all your help John, I appreciate it. We've probably dragged this thread far enough off topic for now :-)

Username: Rjymike

I have been reading these comments for a while now but just now decided to register. Great forum to have lots of good info,especially helpful to us hitachi lcd rear projections suckers that got the shaft when we purchased those overpriced pieces of S**T. I am among the many who now have major L.E. issues,I have what appears to be a severely warped blue lcd,because everything is blue on some scenes and if I turn off my cable box It appears as if I am star gazing into the night sky looking at some far away galaxy. Thousands of blue dots and one large L-shaped blob in the lower left corner of the screen. I have called Hitachi customer service and got no relief so I now have my "case" going to their appeals board. It has been a week since I sent them all the info I could gather which was not much since the company that did the extended warranty work purges their records every 2 years, no records of repair for the infamous red blob,done 4yrs ago,can't be found. I find myself at the mercy of the appeals board, and I have yet to hear any response from them,I sent the a detailed letter explaining my situation along with pictures of said blue blob,I guess they won't make any decision until I have an "experienced Hitachi tech" make his 1 second diagnose of "yep it's the light engine",at cost of 100.00 to me. But if they refuse my claim and I am out my 100.00 diagnostic fee that will really piss me off. That will finish me with ever buying anything that has Hitachi on it,and I own a lot of Hitachi equipment. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Username: Riley3d

1. I have the the 50V500 and the front cover was cracked during a move. It is not glass and I am wondering if I can just remover it? It seems to be a protective or anti glare piece. The crack is in the upper top area so it is not super annoying, but it sure is a conversation piece.
2. how do I clean the filter near the LE? THANKS!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us