Qosmio G35-AV650 Is First Notebook Shipping in U.S. to Incorporate HD DVD-ROM Drive for Optimum Digital Entertainment Realism and Clarity
Toshiba’s Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today introduced the Qosmio G35-AV650, the first notebook PC shipping in the U.S. to incorporate an HD DVD-ROM drive1 that allows users to enjoy the dazzling realism and clarity of high-definition digital entertainment in a portable device.
Designed for optimum digital entertainment immersion and multimedia capabilities, the Qosmio G35-AV650 with HD DVD-ROM allows consumers to enjoy high-definition movies anywhere in the home or on the go with external power.
Backwards-compatible2 with current DVD formats, the HD DVD-ROM drive allows users to continue playing compatible discs from their existing DVD collections. To fully experience and enjoy HD DVD movies as well as games and other multimedia content, the unit also features:
- an Ultimate TruBrite widescreen display with 1920×1200 resolution and 1080p high-definition format;
- Toshiba’s proprietary QosmioEngine3 digital video processing system for crystal-clear digital images and bright colors;
- HDMI port with support for 1080i, enabling connectivity to a high-definition TV4 for output of HD DVD content;
- Dolby Home Theater, delivering a rich, engaging surround sound experience from stereo and multichannel audio sources through headphone, 2-channel or 5.1-channel speaker systems;
- a 1-bit digital amplifier, usually found in high-end audio systems, that enables a higher quality signal;
- Bass Reflex Speaker technology from harman/kardon, enabling richer audio and a deeper bass.
Featuring all the standard capabilities of Toshiba’s Qosmio notebook line, the Qosmio G35-AV650 also includes an integrated TV tuner for watching live TV from a cable or satellite feed, a digital video recorder (DVR) for recording and pausing live TV or recording future programs, and the capabilities of a powerful, full-featured notebook PC.
The estimated single unit price of the Qosmio G35-AV650 is $2,999.99.5 The product is currently available from ToshibaDirect (www.toshibadirect.com) and is shipping to major consumer electronics and computer stores nationwide.
“The Qosmio G35-AV650 is a ground-breaking audio-video notebook that not only offers our customers the dramatic visual quality of HD DVD but other display and audio enhancements for a truly immersive entertainment experience,” said Jeff Barney, vice president of marketing for Toshiba’s Digital Products Division. “With its numerous enhanced capabilities for movies, music, gaming, TV and PC performance in a sleek, attractive package, Toshiba has demonstrated its technology leadership once again with the most feature-rich audio-video notebook on the market today.”
“With a powerful combination of gaming, multi-media enjoyment, and the first HD DVD-ROM drive in a mobile PC, the Qosmio G35-AV650 sets the pace for those wanting both leading-edge technology and stunning entertainment in a portable package,” said Rob Enderle, principal analyst for the Enderle Group. “High definition is the next wave in consumer electronics products and this level of multi-purpose capabilities is unmatched in any other product on the market today.”
Featuring Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology built around the Intel Core Duo processor,6 the Qosmio G35-AV650 incorporates two 5400 RPM serial ATA 100GB hard drives7 for storage of TV programs, music and other files as well as 1024MB DDR2 memory.8 The hard drives incorporate Toshiba RAID software to give consumers the flexibility of optimum storage capacity using both drives or secure data redundancy on one drive.
The system’s HD DVD-ROM is a multi-function drive that not only supports HD DVD playback but a DVD SuperMulti that reads and writes current DVD formats and can nearly double storage capacity in dual-layer format.2
The Qosmio G35-AV650 includes the QosmioPlayer,9 allowing users to watch live TV, pause live TV, watch DVDs or listen to audio CDs with a quick touch of a button on the unit or on the remote control without booting up the Windows operating system. With this feature, Qosmio owners can enjoy audio or video content similar to using a stand-alone TV, stereo or DVD player.
A customizable Dual Mode touch pad provides one-tap short cuts to launch e-mail, an Internet browser and other selected programs. The unit also includes a new fingerprint reader for additional security and convenient password replacement.
An NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 with 256MB VRAM high-performance graphics10 card enables stunning gaming and other multimedia visuals, while a S/PDIF optical audio connector allows users to easily connect the Qosmio to a home theater system and experience Dolby Home Theater 5.1 surround sound while gaming, playing HD DVD in high-definition audio, listening to music, and viewing TV through Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition software.
With its 5-in-1 bridge media adapter and generous connectivity options, Qosmio users can access and share photo and video content quickly and easily, or hook-up their camcorder to display home movies.
“With the new Qosmio G35-AV650, Toshiba continues to demonstrate it is a leader in the burgeoning digital entertainment market,” said Joe Belfiore, vice president of the eHome Division at Microsoft Corp. “Combining Toshiba’s HD DVD-ROM drive and Windows XP Media Center Edition software gives consumers an exciting, cutting-edge digital content experience.”
“The Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV650 notebook based on Intel Centrino Duo mobile technology can offer consumers a theater-like experience from anywhere ‘” their living rooms, hotel rooms or dorm rooms,” said Keith Kressin, director of marketing, Intel’s Mobile Platforms Group. “Consumers are increasingly turning to the Web for entertainment, enabling more options for entertainment on-the-go. We expect this trend will continue as cutting-edge Intel-based notebooks continue to deliver a more immersive entertainment experience.”
All Qosmio AV notebooks come with a one-year limited warranty11 with Toshiba’s premier global service. Customers can choose from several service options, including At-Home Repair, carry-in support at Authorized Service Providers throughout the country for same-day or next-day service, or use any of more than 3,000 UPS Stores for packaging and delivery of the product to a centralized Depot for 24-hour service turnaround.
Qosmio G35-AV650 Product Specifications
Processor: Intel Centrino Duo mobile technology featuring dual-core processing with Intel Core Duo Processor6 T2500 (Dual 2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache)
Display: 17-inch diagonal widescreen Ultimate TruBrite TFT active-matrix LCD display WUXGA with 1920×1200 native resolution; QosmioEngine for enhanced display
System Chipset: Mobile Intel 945PM Express Chipset
Graphics Controller: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 with 256MB GDDR3 discrete graphics10 memory
Memory: 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM memory8
Hard Drive: 200GB (5400 rpm) using two 100GB Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drives7
Optical Drive: HD DVD-ROM1 and DVD SuperMulti Double Layer drive
Wireless: Integrated Intel Pro/Wireless12 Network Connection 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g); Bluetooth version 2.0 plus Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
Ports: 4 USB v. 2.0, RGB, TV out (S-Video and HDMI), AV IN (S-Video and connector and composite/monitor), RJ-45 LAN port, RJ-11, i-Link1394, S/PDIF Optical Audio Output
TV Tuner: Integrated Toshiba TV Tuner
Input Devices: QosmioPlayer (instant-on CD/DVD/TV), Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition remote control with numeric keypad, keyboard, mouse; Dual Mode Pad pointing device
Slots: 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter (Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Multi Media Card, xD Picture Card); PCMCIA PC Card slot; ExpressCard slot
Audio: Dolby Home Theater; harman/kardon Bass Reflex stereo speakers; 1-bit digital amplifier
Battery: 9-cell (7050mAh) Lithium Ion
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Dimensions: 16.0 x 11.6 x 1.79 inches
Weight: 10.1 lbs.13
About Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. (TAIS)
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., TAIS is comprised of four business units: Digital Products Division, Imaging Systems Division, Storage Device Division, and Telecommunication Systems Division. Together, these divisions provide mobile products and solutions, including industry-leading portable computers; projectors; imaging products for the security, medical and manufacturing markets; storage products for automotive, computer and consumer electronics applications; and telephony equipment and associated applications.
TAIS provides sales, marketing and services for its wide range of information products in the United States and Latin America. TAIS is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation, which is a global leader in high technology and integrated manufacturing of electrical and electronic components, products and systems, as well as major infrastructure systems. Toshiba has worldwide sales of over $54 billion and approximately 300 subsidiaries and affiliates worldwide. For more information visit the company’s Web site at www.toshiba.com.
- HD DVD Technology. Because HD DVD is a new format that makes use of new technologies, certain disc, digital connection and other compatibility and/or performance issues are possible. Advanced interactive and navigation features of the HD DVD video format are not supported by this product. See HD DVD Technology Legal Footnote at www.info.toshiba.com.
- Some content and/or discs may not be compatible.
- QosmioEngine is not operative during HD DVD playback.
- HD DVD viewing on external display requires an HDCP-capable HDMI or DVI output.
- Reseller prices may vary. ESUP means “Estimated Single Unit Price.”
- Processor. CPU performance may vary. See Processor Legal Footnote at www.info.toshiba.com
- Hard Disk Drive Capacity. Hard drive capacity may vary. 1 Gigabyte (GB) means 1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 1,000,000,000 bytes using powers of 10. See Hard Disk Drive Capacity Legal Footnote at www.info.toshiba.com
- Memory. Memory size may vary. See Memory Legal Footnote at www.info.toshiba.com
- QosmioPlayer does not support HD DVD playback function.
- Graphics. GPU performance may vary. See Graphics Legal Footnote at www.info.toshiba.com
- Warranty. The terms and conditions of Toshiba’s standard limited warranty, extended warranty and service upgrade terms and conditions are available at www.warranty.toshiba.com.
- Wireless. May require purchase of additional software, external hardware, or services. Transmission speeds may vary. See Wireless Legal Footnote at www.info.toshiba.com
- Weight. Weight may vary. See Weight Legal Footnote at www.info.toshiba.com