FUJIFILM announced the FinePix HS50EXR, their new flagship bridge camera that features a 42x manual zoom lens and a new 16-megapixel 1/2″ EXR CMOS II sensor with phase detection that achieves the world’s fastest autofocus speed in its class of just 0.05 seconds. The camera gives consumers a compelling alternative to expensive DSLR kits.
New EXR CMOS II Sensor with Phase Detection for High Performance
The HS50EXR boasts the latest FUJIFILM EXR 16MP 1/2″ EXR CMOS II sensor, as well as the EXR Processor II, which has faster processing speeds compared to the previous generation EXR processor.
The HS50EXR now includes built-in phase detection to achieve an incredibly fast autofocus speed of just 0.05 seconds in fastest conditions, along with a new Intelligent Hybrid Autofocus system that automatically selects between phase detection autofocus or contrast autofocus in low light to ensure the optimal focus system is used for sharp, vibrant images.
The new EXR CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II make the HS50EXR a truly powerful camera when it comes to capturing moving objects. In addition to the 0.05 seconds autofocus speed, it also achieves a start-up time of 0.5 seconds, and interval time between shots of just 0.5 seconds. And by using the Continuous Shooting mode, the HS50EXR can shoot in burst mode of 11fps at the full 16MP resolution (up to 5 frames) and seamless 5.5fps shooting at 8MP resolution. Combined, these technologies mean that you will never miss that crucial shot, no matter how fast your subject is moving.
The HS50EXR also uses a new Focus Peaking feature in manual focus mode to help photographers by highlighting high contrast areas of a subject and provides a guide for focusing in situations where it is difficult to tell whether the subject is correctly focused.
Manual 42x Optical Zoom Lens (24-1000mm)
The newly developed 42x FUJINON zoom lens in the HS50EXR offers the precision of a manual zoom and stunning optical performance for beautiful high resolution images. The HS50EXR can shoot Super Macro photography as close as 0.39” all the way through 24mm wide-angle up to 1000mm telephoto, a range that of focal lengths that would require several different lenses on a DSLR camera.
To ensure premium image quality, the HS50EXR lens uses aspherical, ED and cemented elements and achieves blur reduction with Optical Image Stabilization, over the entire aperture range of F2.8 to F5.6. The lens features 17 elements in total, 15 of which have FUJINON’s Super EBC coating on both sides to reduce ghosting and flare in challenging low light situations.
3.0″ Variable Angle LCD Screen
The HS50EXR features a 920k dot, highly detailed electronic viewfinder (EVF) that is perfect for helping users frame a subject, even in bright sunlight. And for challenging low or high shots, the HS50EXR has a useful 3.0” variable-angle 920k dot LCD screen that folds out and flips around for easy viewing and shooting.
Full HD Movie 1080p/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
The HS50EXR with built in stereo microphone is now the ideal camera for the budding cinematographer. Thanks to the EXR CMOS II sensor, the HS50EXR is capable of full HD movie recording (1080p) at up to 60 frames per second. Connect an external microphone to the dedicated input and you can get amazing sound to rival the image quality. If you want to be more creative you can record lower resolution movies at up to 480 frames per second — and capture some amazing slow motion action. The Phase Detection pixel technology and scene recognition modes also work while recording movies to ensure that your video stays sharply focused on the subject.
Artistic shooting effects
The HS50EXR features several Film Simulation Modes. Users can choose from ten different modes which simulate the effects of traditional Fujifilm films, including color reversal film effects (Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA), as well as create Multiple Exposures by combining two separate subjects into one photo.
The HS50EXR also features Advanced Filter functions including:
- Pop Color – emphasizes contrast and color saturation
- Toy Camera – create shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera
- Miniature – adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect
- Dynamic Tone – create a fantasy effect by dynamically-modulated tonal reproduction
- Partial Color – retain one selected original color and change the rest of the photo to black and white
- High Key – enhance brightness and reduce contrast to lighten tonal reproduction
- Low Key – create uniformly dark tones with few areas of emphasized highlights
- Soft Focus – blur the focus of the image edges to create a softer effect
FinePix HS50EXR Key features:
- FUJINON 42x optical manual zoom (F/2.8-5.6 24-1000mm) with Optical Image Stabilization, and up to 84x with Intelligent Digital Zoom
- 16MP ½” EXR-CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection AF and EXR Processor II
- Intelligent Hybrid AF : 0.05 seconds; world’s fastest
- Continuous shooting:11fps at full resolution (max 5 frames), 5.5fps at 8M
- Start-up time of 0.5 seconds
- Shooting interval of 0.5 seconds
- 108 EXR Auto shooting patterns
- Full HD movie 1080P/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
- 3.0” Variable-Angle LCD screen (920K-dot)
- High Resolution EVF (920K-dot) with eye sensor
- “Q” button for direct control of settings
- Super Macro to 0.39”
- Manual exposure control (P/S/A/M modes)
- Focus Peaking function on the LCD screen
- RAW shooting (RAW, JPEG, RAW+JPEG image capture modes)
- Advanced Filters
- External microphone input (microphones sold separately)
- Hotshoe attachment for the use of external flash
- Lithium Ion battery with up to 500 shots per charge
Pricing and Availability
The FinePix HS50EXR will be available in March 2013 for $549.95.