The little white eero router controlled via mobile app just got better. The new 2017 model is called the 2nd-generation eero. Although it looks the same as the original eero (1st generation), it is said to be twice as fast. The company claims the new eero is the first and only WiFi access point of its size that can broadcast on three wireless bands simultaneously (triband WiFi). As the gateway of an eero WiFi system, eero has two auto-detecting Ethernet ports. One connects directly to the modem and the other port provides the option to hardwire devices like an Ethernet switch, printer, or video game console.
The new eero Beacon is half the size, but even more powerful than eero (1st generation) and its backwards compatible so you can mix-and-match 1st and 2nd generation models. The new Beacon extends WiFi coverage to any room by simply plugging it into a wall outlet. Users can add as many eero Beacons as needed to provide each room with WiFi coverage. Each eero Beacon is also equipped with an LED nightlight. With an ambient light sensor and automatic dimmer, it intelligently adjusts brightness depending on the time of day. Or set a specific brightness schedule using the eero app.
eero’s TrueMesh software makes it possible to add as many eeros and eero Beacons as needed to seamlessly cover any home. TrueMesh monitors the connections between eeros to find the best route for data and dynamically switches pathways through the network to avoid interference. eero also intelligently switches a device’s connection between access points to ensure the fastest, most reliable connection. This allows for a better WiFi experience throughout the home.
In addition, eero Home WiFi System stays new, and gets better over time with over-the-air software updates. eero’s network security works continuously in the background to keep systems safe and secure. eero partners with leading security firms whose experts conduct end-to-end tests to ensure there are no vulnerabilities. If a vulnerability were ever discovered, eero would be able to quickly and automatically update all online systems.
With eero Plus, a new $10/month subscription service, the company is adding another layer of protection against harmful websites, phishing attacks, or botnet attacks. Anyone using the network would automatically be blocked from accessing those sites before they even load. Unlike built-in protections included in a web browser or email, the database of threats eero Plus protects against — millions of malicious websites with ransomware, viruses, phishing scams, and more — is automatically updated every second to keep people protected. For clarity, eero already keeps your WiFi network secure inside your home. That means that the traffic flowing between eeros and out to the internet is encrypted and safe. erro Plus handles the external threats.
eero Key Features:
- Powerful tri-band radios — stream, game, work, and play, from every corner of the home — and from the backyard, too.
- Mixed topology — connect over either Ethernet or wirelessly, in any combination for complete network customization and the best performance.
eero and eero Beacon Key Features:
- Thread radio — connect to low-power devices like locks, doorbells, and more, to future-proof any connected home.
- Backward compatible — eero and eero Beacon are backward compatible with an existing eero system.
- Intelligent backhaul — intelligently switches eero-to-eero communication frequencies in real time, based on current network conditions, to deliver the best possible performance.
- Over-the-air updates — gives customers new features, performance improvements, and the latest security so the network stays new and gets better.
- Simple setup — the redesigned app makes it easier and more customizable than ever to setup and manage a network.
eero Built-in Security:
- Data encryption — offers the strongest, standard encryption for connections between eeros, the cloud, and the app.
- WPA-2 encryption — the strongest network encryption required for client devices to connect to the eero network.
- Profile protection — log into the app through a secure single-use code that is delivered via text.
- Regular security updates — tested for vulnerabilities and automatically updated monthly.
eero Plus Key Features:
- Advanced security — guards against accidentally accessing sites associated with harmful content, like malware, ransomware, and phishing attacks.
- Enhanced parental controls — allows people to filter out adult, illegal, and/or violent content, or enables SafeSearch for specific profiles on the network.
- VIP support — priority access to eero’s customer support team with limited or no wait time before speaking with a WiFi expert.
Pricing and Availability
The eero Home WiFi System (2nd generation) and eero Beacon are available for pre-sale as of June 13, 2017, and are expected to start shipping in a few weeks in the U.S. and Canada.
- Home WiFi System (1 eero + 1 eero Beacon): $299
- Home WiFi System (1 eero + 2 eero Beacons): $399
- Pro WiFi System (3 eeros): $499
- eero Plus: $9.99/month (or $99/year) available soon
The free eero app is available for download through the App Store and Google Play Store.