Clarion announced Next GATE, a 7-inch, touch-screen, in-vehicle smartphone controller for iPhone that brings app functionality into the car. Next GATE (model SC1U) leverages the power of the smartphone and its wireless connectivity, allowing hands-free calling, voice dialing, voice activation, navigation, Internet radio and more.
Aside from app integrations, Next GATE also comes equipped with a microSD slot, a built-in speaker, blue LED buttons and indicator, auxiliary audio output, windshield mount, built in microphone, external microphone ready and a 7-inch digital WVGA touch panel LCD monitor. The Next GATE is compatible with iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, and has a 12 volt power adapter for easy connection which also allows for charging while in-use. The system is connected via an easy to set up auxiliary connector while the Clarion Smart Access app manager is a free download on the iTunes app store.
Original content is offered via Next GATE with apps exclusive to the smartphone controller. Key iPhone functions become road friendly with Vlingo support, such as Voice Launcher and Speech-to-Text app inclusions like Facebook, Twitter and News applications which will allow for easy access all while keeping your focus on the road.
Next GATE will enhance the way the iPhone will be used through integration, interface and intelligence. “Clarion Next GATE exemplifies the future of in-vehicle electronics with the necessity to connect to and leverage the devices consumers bring into the vehicle,” states Paul Lachner, President of Clarion Corporation of America. “The Next GATE will revolutionize the way people communicate and access information in the vehicle via their iPhone in an intuitive and user-friendly way, keeping their focus on driving.”
Key vehicle-friendly app partners include: TuneIn, Pandora, Vlingo, INRIX Traffic, and InfoGation with more to come. Likewise Clarion is currently working with multiple app partners to greatly expand the functionality of Next GATE.
- TuneIn – Offers a new way to listen to the world through live, local and global radio wherever you are with over 50,000 stations including music, sports, news or current events like the GOP debate, Daytona 500 or South by Southwest (SXSW).
- Pandora – Offers personalized internet radio.
- Vlingo – A voice recognition app which allows for speech to text capabilities; works with email and social media channels while behind the wheel.
- INRIX Traffic – Provides up-to-the-minute insight into the fastest routes, covering nearly twice as many roads as any other app and it identifies the worst delays on highways and city streets nationwide so drivers can steer clear.
- InfoGation – Provides turn-by-turn navigation with full screen maps and graphics.
- Controls approved smartphone apps optimized for in-vehicle use
- Compatible with Clarion's Smart Access cloud service and app
- Leverages application functions such as navigation, internet radio, social networking and voice control/ text readout for select functions
- Built-in Bluetooth hands-free interface (HFP)
- Music/Audio playback
- Built-in microphone and external microphone ready
- Compatible with iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
- iPhone direct connect and charging capabilities (cable included)
- 7-inch Digital WVGA Touch Panel LCD Monitor
- microSD slot
- Built-in speaker
- Blue LED buttons and indicator
- 12 volt power adapter
- AUX audio output
- 360° adjustable suction mount
Price and Availability
Clarion's Next GATE (SC1U) will be available beginning June 1, 2012 for $269.99.