That felt somewhat odd just writing, but we actually understand where Pro-Ject is coming from in regard to the table. The new Pro-Ject Debut PRO S has been officially launched in Europe but N. American audiophiles will have to wait until October for the launch on this side of the pond.
What we really love about the Debut Pro lineup is the scalability of the tables; you can easily change out the cartridge, add a better platter mat, or add an isolation platform from Pro-Ject or even IsoAcoustics.
Sumiko offers a number of higher-end cartridges like the Wellfleet that would certainly raise the performance of the Debut PRO and PRO S tables.
The Pro-Ject Debut PRO S tips the scales at 15 pounds and looks like a rather solid deck that comes equipped with a dustcover. The supplied head shell/cartridge is manufactured by Ortofon but we don’t know if N. American consumers will get the same setup at launch.
We offer that information because the Debut PRO comes with a pre-installed Sumiko Rainier in N. America and a totally different cartridge from Ortofon in Europe.
The manual controls invite the listener to interact with the turntable. The audible reward follows from the tactile experience. There are no unnecessary switches, LEDs nor labeling to distract from the essentials here.
A tad heavy on the philosophy but there are some technical differences between the turntables that require some explanation.
The Debut PRO S utilizes Pro-Ject’s latest s-shaped 10″ aluminum tonearm design which is precision-machined and includes a CNC-milled bearing block for a new degree of resolution.
Another difference is that the tonearm allows for different head shells, which also makes it easier to experiment with different cartridges. There are a number of cartridges pre-mounted in head shells from Ortofon, and Nagaoka that would make a lot of sense in a $1,200 turntable.
Tack on azimuth & VTA adjustment and you have full control over over the setup parameters of your cartridge.
As usual, the deck is handmade in Europe using top-quality materials. The full satin black finish (including hand-painted parts) makes Debut PRO S a rather striking looking deck.
In-House CNC-Machined Aluminum Components
Take a closer look and you’ll find no hollow spaces nor plastic parts. Only high-quality aluminum parts are implemented to ensure optimal sound quality.
10″ Aluminum S-Shaped Tonearm
Pro-Ject’s latest s-shaped aluminum tonearm design ensures excellent damping and 10″ effective length enables perfect tracking of the record groove with minimal tracking error (including in the inner grooves). Compared to a straight tonearm, the s-shaped design requires more material and thus increases effective mass, accommodating cartridges that might be on the heavier side.
Adjustable VTA & Azimuth
Both azimuth and vertical tracking angle (VTA) are adjustable. Tonearm height can be easily changed by loosening the two grub screws at the rear of the armboard (then retightened!). For azimuth, there’s a single grub screw near the gimbal that allows for armtube rotation. Such versatility allows for endless experimentation with varying cartridges & records mats so that you can achieve the sonics that best suit you.
Built-In Speed Controller & Stabilizer
Platter speed is electronically controlled with the utmost precision ensuring speed accuracy & stability. Toggle between 33 & 45rpm with the flip of a switch. The supplied round belt for 78rpm records deepens the versatility of Debut PRO S.
Coupled with the diamond-cut aluminum sub-platter, platter speed is very accurate; The sub-platter also increases the mass of the drive system resulting in additional damping of noise and unwanted resonance.
TPE-Damped Die-Cast Aluminum Record Platter
The die-cast aluminum platter is machined and balanced to perfection. Pro-Ject add a TPE-ring to the underside of the high-mass platter that increases damping and rotational mass, further improving speed stability.
- Pick it S2 C integrated cartridge/headshell
- 10″ s-shaped aluminum tonearm
- Precision aluminum platter with TPE damping
- Fully adjustable VTA
- Nickel-plated aluminum bearing block
- Motor suspension with TPE damping
- Height-adjustable TPE-damped metal feet
- Precision belt-drive with electronic speed control
- 8x coats hand-painted satin black MDF chassis
- Premium semi-symmetrical phono cable
- Gold-plated RCA connectors
- Dustcover included
- Handmade in Europe
- Speed: 33, 45/(78) (electronic speed change)
- Drive principle: belt-drive w/ electronic speed control
- Platter: 300mm, die-cast aluminum platter with TPE damping and felt mat
- Platter bearing: high-precision stainless steel axle in bronze bushing
- Wow & flutter: 33: +/-0.16%; 45: +/-0.14%
- Speed drift: 33: +/-0.40%; 45: +/-0.50%
- Signal to noise: 68dB
- Tonearm: 10″ aluminum with SME-type headshell connection
- Effective arm length/mass: 254mm/8g
- Overhang: 16mm
- Included accessories: 15V DC / 0.8A power supply, dustcover, 78rpm round belt, 7″ singles adapter
- Power consumption: 4W (0W standby)
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 462 x 145 x 345mm
- Dimensions (standard): 18.19 x 5.71 x 13.58
- Mass (weight): 8kg (15.43 lbs) net
For more information: Pro-Ject Debut Pro S Turntable