Motorola today introduced a new low-cost unlocked Android smartphone, Moto E, priced at $129 without contract. Moto E runs Android 4.4.2, KitKat and has a high-resolution 4.3-inch display with 256ppi, the sharpest in its class. Plus, Corning Gorilla Glass and a water-resistant splash guard help protect it for lasting durability. The device will receive at least one software update to bring it up to date with the current KitKat 4.4.3 operating system.
The budget-priced device admittedly has some nice features, but has to cut corners to get the price down. With 4GB of storage user’s won’t have much space to store movies, music or apps. However, users can purchase a 32GB microSD card to beef things up. But the main thing you’ll sacrifice with this phone is download speeds, because it is not 4G LTE capable. The smartphone is geared towards first-time smartphone buyers who don’t need all the bell and whistles. For examples users that mainly text message, check email, and take casual photos may find this phone acceptable.
The Moto E follows Motorola’s previous non-4G budget smartphone the Moto G, released last year for $179. But Motorola today announced a new Moto G smartphone with 4G LTE and keeps the same price. So basically $50 more gets you faster download speeds, while other features are about the same.
- Android 4.4.2, KitKat
- 4.3-inch display with 256ppi (540 x 960 qHD)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 with 1.2GHz dual-core A7 CPU Adreno 302 400MHz single-core GPU
- 5MP rear-facing camera with Motorola’s streamlined camera interface; touch anywhere on the screen to take a shot, capture panoramic pictures or record video.
- Capture 30fps FWVGA (MP4, H.264, H.263)
- Up to 720p playback capable FWVGA (MP4, H.264, VC-1, WMV-9, DivX 4/5/6)
- 4GB storage built-in with microSD slot for up to 32GB of expandable memory
- Built-in FM radio — just tune in to listen to your favorite stations or pick up a new signal
- Motorola Shells — interchangeable backs in more than 20 color and design combinations
- All day mixed use operation with 1980 mAh battery
- Dual-SIM option
Price and Availability
Moto E will be available for $129 with no contract in more than 40 countries through more than 80 carrier partners around the world over the next few weeks.