Four New Models Support 8K
Denon today released the industry’s first 8K-ready A/V receivers, models AVR-X6700H ($2499) and AVR-X4700H ($1699). Two additional lower priced 8K home theater receivers are due out soon, the AVR-X3700H ($1199) on July 15th and the AVR-X2700H ($849) on August 15th. Of course you’ll need an 8K TV to make use of its state-of-the-art video performance, which not only allows 8K pass-thru but can also upscale existing 1080p HD and 4K content to 8K¹.
The new Denon X-Series AV receivers take advantage of the latest HDMI technologies. A dedicated “8K” HDMI input enables 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video pass-through, plus new HDR format support including HDR10+ and Dynamic HDR, and a new HDMI feature called Quick Media Switching (QMS), which allows a source to instantly switch the resolution or frame rate to eliminate screen blackout. For exceptional color, clarity and contrast the latest X-Series models still support HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and Dolby Vision, as well as 4:4:4 Pure Color subsampling and BT.2020 pass-through.
The AVR-X6700H supports 11 channels of amplification with 13.2 channel processing, the AVR-X4700H and the AVR-X3700H support up to 9 channels of amplification and 11.2 channel processing. The AVR-X2700H supports up to 7 channels of amplification. Auro-3D® engine is supported by the AVR-X6700H and the AVR-X4700H. IMAX Enhanced decoding is supported by both receivers as well as the AVR-X3700H.
Several new features give gamers an edge, including razor sharp motion clarity with 4K/120Hz pass through and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) to reduce frame tearing and improve overall precision. Plus, Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduce lag and improve stats.
The new Denon X-Series AVRs continue to support eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), which delivers uncompressed and object-based audio from the TV to the receiver via a single HDMI cable. TVs play video directly from TV apps at best available picture quality—either 4K or 8K—while the receiver identifies the best available surround format for decoding.
With eARC and the latest HDMI connectivity up to 8K Ultra HD, the new X-Series AV receivers provide seamless connections with the latest 8K TVs, streaming devices, gaming consoles, and other source players.
DTS:X Pro (AVR-X6700H Only)
Support for virtually all 3D audio formats is available with the Denon AVR-X6700H and AVR-X4700H, including Dolby Atmos®, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, DTS:X®, DTS Virtual:X™, IMAX® Enhanced and Auro-3D® out-of-box. The AVR-X6700H will also support DTS:X Pro®, which will allow users to enjoy up to 13 channels of DTS:X decoding with speaker configurations such as 7.2.6 or 9.2.4. Listeners can also enjoy the latest in IMAX Enhanced films in 7.2.6 or 9.2.4 speaker configurations thanks to newly adopted 13.2 channel processing capabilities with external amplification. The DTS:X Pro feature will be delivered via firmware update later this year.
Pre-Amplifier Mode (All Except AVR-X2700)
Denon now also supports a new Pre-Amplifier mode for the AVR-X3700H, AVR-X4700H and AVR-X6700H, previously only found on Denon’s flagship AVR-X8500H. Pre-Amplifier mode provides a clear signal path and more tolerance in clipping levels by disconnecting internal amplifiers when the receiver is used as an AV processor and all speakers are powered by external amplifiers.
Roon Tested & Hi-Res Playback
Denon X-Series AVRs are Roon Tested certified so users can get more out of their music libraries through the advanced Roon music interface on their PCs and smart devices. Denon Roon Tested AVRs can be found and setup easily by Roon via AirPlay 2 or hardwired into a Roon Core device. Each receiver features a front-panel USB port that offers convenient audio playback of MP3 and high-resolution audio formats (WAV, FLAC, ALAC and DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz files).
Denon X-Series AVRs work with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Josh.ai, and Apple Siri for effortless voice control. Listeners can use Amazon Alexa for a variety of commands, including switching inputs for different media players, while the Google Assistant and Apple’s Siri can be used to adjust the volume, skip to the next track, and more² Josh.ai offers custom integrators greater control over voice integration into a variety of existing smart home platforms.
With HEOS® Built-in, the X-Series AVRs can stream music wirelessly across compatible HEOS components from a variety of free and premium streaming services, including Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music HD, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, SoundCloud, SiriusXM, TIDAL, and more. Consumers can also enjoy their favorite music in any room of the home wirelessly. Play the same song in every room or select a different song for each connected room via a variety of streaming sources. Add Denon Home speakers to more rooms and control it all with the HEOS app. Apart from HEOS, Apple AirPlay 2 and Bluetooth are also supported. Apple Music streaming is supported through AirPlay 2.
By visually guiding users through each step in the setup process, Denon’s award-winning Setup Assistant makes it easy to get X-Series AVRs out of the box and making beautiful music quickly. Because every home theater is unique, Denon uses premium room calibration technology from Audyssey that automatically takes precise measurements and optimizes the receiver’s performance, providing the finest 3D audio experience tailored to the acoustic properties of the space. The AVR-X2700H supports Audyssey MultEQ XT while the rest of the lineup supports Audyssey MultEQ XT32, as well as subEQ HT for independent subwoofer calibration for more balanced and controlled bass performance. The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app is available for purchase for those who want more customization options.
|New 2020 8K Models||AVR-X2700H||AVR-X3700H||AVR-X4700H||AVR-X6700H|
|Amplifier Channels||7 Channels||9 Channels||9 Channels||11 Channels|
|Processing Channels with Preamp Outputs||–||11.2 Channels||11.2 Channels||13.2 Channels|
|Output Power³||95 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, THD: 0.08%, 2 ch driven)||105 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, THD: 0.08%, 2 ch driven)||125 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, THD: 0.05%, 2 ch driven)||140 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20Hz-20KHz, THD: 0.05%, 2 ch Driven)|
|8K/60 & 4K/120 HDMI Pass Through||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|HDMI In/Out||6 In/ 2 Out||7 In/3 Out||8 In/ 3 Out||8 In/ 3 Out|
|Dual Sub Out||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Audyssey MultEQ XT, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ||Yes|
|Audyssey MultEQ XT32, LFC, Sub EQ HT||Yes||Yes||Yes|
The 2020 Denon X-Series AVRs now support the newly adopted Dual Audyssey Preset function which allows users to store and instantly switch between two Audyssey configurations. For example, users can store both the Audyssey calibration result straight from the receiver and a customized MultEQ curve or frequency range made through the Audyssey MultEQ editor app on the receiver simultaneously, allowing users to easily compare differences and select their preference. Listeners can also perform Audyssey measurements for two different speaker settings, including 2.0 for music listening and 5.1.4 for movie surround.
Custom A/V integration professionals will appreciate the X-Series receivers’ smart features, including support for Audio Select functionality or AirPlay OFF feature so it will not appear on every iOS device throughout the home. To best tailor system functionality for each client, integrators can now assign the same HDMI input source over multiple inputs and choose different audio sources for each input. Denon calls it “Sports Bar” mode. With multizone simulcasting, users can also play full quality surround in the main zone while simulcasting stereo to a second zone or HEOS enable devices.
Integrators can also provide their clients with improved service efficiency and reduced downtime by using Domotz Pro or OvrC remote system monitoring and management technology to remotely monitor and troubleshoot X-Series AVRs. HDMI Diagnostics Mode continues to be available for custom integrators to troubleshoot HDMI-related issues with connected devise and HDMI cables on site.
Features on all 2020 X-Series AVRs
Video and HDMI
- (New) 8K: See unprecedented detail with 8K passthrough and upscaling.
- (New) 4K/120Hz: Experience incredibly smooth motion clarity with 4K/120 frames-per-second pass-through.
- (New) Variable Refresh Rate (VRR): Reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
- (New) HDR10+: Make the most out of a HDR10+ compatible TV and content with HDR10+ pass-through capability.
- (New) Dynamic HDR: Optimize the performance of HDR TVs with Dynamic HDR with scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame dynamic metadata.
- (New) Quick Media Switching (QMS): More watching, less waiting. Say goodbye to blank screens using Quick Media Switching (QMS).
- (New) Quick Frame Transport (QFT): Enjoy reduced latency for smoother, tear-free entertainment experience.
- eARC support: Enhanced audio return channel supports latest lossless and 3D audio formats for audio transmission directly from the TV to the AV receiver through the connected HDMI cable.
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM): Low latency gaming supported on Xbox One and requires supported TV.
- Incredible Color: 4:4:4 Pure Color sub sampling, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG), Dynamic HDR, 3D, and BT.2020 pass-through support for exceptional color, clarity and contrast.
- HDCP 2.3: Supports the latest copy protection standard on all HDMI ports.
Audio and Surround Sound
- (New) DTS:X Pro: Available only on the AVR-X6700H, DTS:X Pro enables users to process up to 13 channels.
- Immersive 3D Audio: Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, IMAX Enhanced, and Auro 3D.
- Premium DAC: 32bit AKM DAC allowing for high-resolution audio decoding.
- Hi-Res Audio: Ability to decode up to 24-bit/192-kHz ALAC, FLAC and WAV lossless files as well as DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz tracks through front panel USB or network connected devices.
Music Streaming and Smart Home
- Roon Tested: Get more out of digital music libraries with searchable, surfable information about artists and songs.
- HEOS® Built-in: Wi-Fi music streaming and multi-room audio technology with compatible components. HEOS supports free and premium Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music HD, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, SoundCloud, SiriusXM, TIDAL, and more.
- AirPlay 2 Built-In: Use AirPlay 2 to stream Apple music wirelessly to the AV receiver, or group with other AirPlay compatible speakers to fill the home with music.
- Effortless Voice Control: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Apple Siri for hands-free control of wireless music and AVR.
- Bluetooth Enabled: Stream music wirelessly and distribute to Zone 2 or HEOS enabled speakers through the free HEOS app.
- (New) Bluetooth Transmitter: Listen to audio through Bluetooth headphones late at night, or enjoy with a family member or a friend with a hearing impairment. Audio can be heard through speakers and headphones simultaneously.
Setup and Ease of Use
- Room Calibration & Optimized Room Acoustics: Boasts Audyssey’s suite of EQ calibration technologies for simple, accurate set-up and dynamic volume control.
- (New) Dual Audyssey Preset Memory: Allow users to store two Audyssey configurations and switch on the fly for more detailed listening experiences.
- Quick Selects: The front panel and remote control feature four Quick Select buttons that store preferred audio settings for each source.
- Remote apps (iOS/Android): Denon AVR remote for basic AVR’s control and setup. Audyssey MultEQ editor app available for purchase for further customization of room EQ curve.
- Remote Monitoring Support: Gives custom integrators the power to monitor and troubleshoot remotely, which drastically reduces customer downtime. Supports Domotz Pro and OvrC.
Price & Availability
- AVR-X2700H – $849 (August 15, 2020)
- AVR-X3700H – $1199 (July 15, 2020)
- AVR-X4700H – $1699 (June 15, 2020)
- AVR-X6700H – $2499 (June 15, 2020)
¹ To compatible 8K-ready TVs
² Degree of functionality is variable and platform-dependent
³ Denon guarantees 70 percent power up to 5 channels driven as proof of quality for all 2020 X-Series AVRs
⁴ Via a future firmware update