Sony Grand Wega Lamp Problem

Username: Flakybake

Post Number: 1
I've had my KF-60WE610 for about 5 months, and about a month ago I started having problems with the lamp not coming on when I'd power up the TV. It would always eventually come on after repeated power on power off attempts, so the lamp itself cannot be burned out (can it?). This problem has been getting worse over the last month. Can anyone shed some light on this and perhaps suggest what I can do about this problem?

thanx
flakybake

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 48
Yeah, it's a known problem with Sony GW's made about that period of time. If you let the situation go, it WILL burn out your lamp.

I'll go see if I can find a link for you...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Here are a couple to get you started...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/10707.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/5944.html

I've never experienced this problem myself - knock on wood - but from what I've read, it can be caused by a couple of different things.

One problem involves the lamp cage being loose. The fix is easy. All you do is remove the lamp and put it back in, making sure everything is tight. I guess they had a problem at the factory, for a while, not tightening the lamp cage. They're making these things as fast as the can, you know, in Mexico. After a certain number of heating cycles, the lamp quits making connection. These were made mostly from late 2003 to early 2004, as I understand it.

The other problem is more serious. Sony has an advisory out about it. I guess they have to replace like 9 different parts - boards and so forth.

Anyway, good luck! Hope this helps...

Username: Flakybake

Post Number: 2
Thanx VinDSL, I had no idea that the problem was so common. I guess I'll give sony a call!

Cleo
Unregistered guest
I bought 50" about 4 months ago and already having problem with lamp. Lamp indicator light started blinking today and TV black out. It was under the warranty and service has been called but I was wondering why that bulb is burning out so quick.
Maybe defects? Is anybody know how much cost to buy lamp?
thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
The lamp is most likely NOT burned out, but it's possible. See the links above.

And, the cost for a new lamp is around 200 bones, if you can find one in stock somewhere.

I might mention, you need to remember that these are projector TV's. I don't know if you ever owned a (35mm) slide projector, film projector, overhead projector, or whatever, but the good and bad thing about them is they contain an extremely powerful, albeit sensitive, light bulb, which is prone to failure at some point. This is normal.

It's like owning a car, which requires a replacement of its' tires, windshield wipers, spark plugs, et cetera. After a certain length of time, these projector bulbs WILL burn out, but it shouldn't happen inside 4 months, even if you run it 24/7. They will theoretically last 7,000 hours, which is like 2-4 years of normal useage.

If you'll pardon the pun, on the bright side, once you replace the projector lamp, basically you will have a new TV. So, it's not all bad news...

Jose P.
Unregistered guest
Vin i have a dumb question about the bulb. Been looking at this tv at BB and guy says I can replace bulb myself when it burns out and have "new" tv again. I can change bulb in a lamp but is this same? Will I get just a bulb or does it come in kind of housing and I replace this? Sorry for dumb question just want to make sure I can do it when time arrives. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Not a "dumb question" at all...

Technically speaking, a CRT is user-replaceable too, but few owners of tube-based big-screens would ever go to the considerable hassle and expense of replacing an aging picture tube. However, with a Sony Grand Wega LCD projection TV, a consumer can easily replace the special high-powered lamp in just a few minutes, and essentially have a 'new' set.

Here's what the lamp looks like: Lamp Unit Replacement Instructions (PDF file)

Anonymous

Sony will cover this problem for the full warranty period and probably longer if you ask. The repair involves replacing the bulb and the lamb driver board. These have been reengineered and should cure the problem. 8000 hours is the projected lamp life.

Bronze Member
Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 18
Jose, the "new" TV shpeel is a sham. I was told that by some fellow co-workers until i found out it's not true. The bulb will always work at its full potential until it's burnt out. If you get the LCD Chips replaced because they are defective, then yes, but that is not likely to happen.

One thing you guys with bulb problems might want to look into, is what kind of airflow are you getting into the back of your TV, These newer RPTVs require a good 1.5 - 2 ft. of airflow behind them, if you notice, that fan is blowing out some pretty hot air, if you already havn't, try moving your TV from the wall, and if it's backed into a corner, (which is the worst setup for these TVs) try pulling it away from the corner, and giving it a good 6 inches of air flow on the SIDES of the televsion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Yep! No doubt about it!

If you don't mind me quoting myself...

"Anyway, I have a Sony GWIII, and I don't worry about it [burn-in]. Neither should you. Just make sure your LCD RPTV has plenty of ventilation. Heat is what kills them. Don't shoehorn them into a closed-up entertainment center, for instance. They need to breathe! "

SOURCE: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/11527.html

Username: Soupertrooper

Post Number: 1
Wow, I feel bummed out after reading so many complaints on the internet about KF-50WE610. I fell in love with this unit and was seriously thinking to buy one.

Now, has anyone ever heard of any problems with their new generation, the KF-50WE655 which replaced WE610 this year ?

I hope SONY had taken some serious steps to fix this very common bulb problem. I don't like the WE655 appearance as much as the WE610 series (love the black matte around the screen), but it certainly would be worth it if it has significantly less problems.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have the KF-42WE655. Got it for $2250 at Circuit City. It's been over a month now and am very pleased with this TV. I have left it on for hours and have it in a corner of my living room. I have done some temp tests and it stays cool all around the set. I can't feel any real heat coming out of this TV anywhere. Picture on HD is great and regular SD on cable looks tons better than the Samsung 46" I took back.

Post Number: 2
TM. Yup, that's my only hope. I read a msg posted by someone about wanting the Sony, but decided to buy something else because of the lamp problems.

I also believe that the lamp wasn't the only problem WE610 had. BUT.. it was the only problem people seemed to really care about. So yeah, nothing is perfect.

I've talked to a rep from Soundtrack (or some of you might refer it as Ultimate Electronics), and he claimed that Sony indeed had taken steps to fix the problems and he also explained in details what the problems were, and how Sony reacted to fix them on this new generation. I didn't say this new Sony would be problem free, but at least I could hope it would be a smaller one.

Looks like Sony is trying to bribe people like me (dissatisfied prospective customers) with adding integrated HDTV tuner + cable slot at almost no extra cost, and improved black level (I didn't say good black level)

Unless I heard a lot of bad stories abt 50-WE655, I'm buying one next month.

usps
Unregistered guest
I have the 42 inch version we655 and am very happy with it. Tuner works great to receive free OTA hi def. It has a cooling fan but I cannot hear it even during quiet scenes. Wide zoom seems the best compromise to watch 4:3. Dvd looks awesome. Have not heard any lamp problems with this version or any more lamp issues on the 610 made after April.

fero00039
Unregistered guest
I think i have a serious problem with my grand wega's lamp, suddenly some purple estrange lines appear on the lamp but inside i don't know what to do becouse the image now is not like before if someone can help me much thanks!!

Anonymous

I've had a KF-42WE610 for 2 months and the thing turns on whenever it feels like it. When I attempt to turn it on, the power/standby light flashes for 30-40 seconds, then the lamp light starts flickering. Sometimes it takes several tries and maybe after a half-hour or so it will turn on. I called Sony about it, and they had me unplug the TV and blah blah blah. I told them that I disconnect the TV every night from the surge protector button. The claim that they never had any such problems with anyone else. They gave me the number for an authorized service technician. As I was telling him the story, he was anticipating me and completed all the sentences I started! He said that he received about 100 identical complaints for these models that Sony put out within the last 2 months in the my area alone. Sony never heard of this problem, huh?

MR

Anonymous

This information on the sony XL-2100U was very helpful for me since the lamp in my KF-60WE610 has burned out after only one year. I purchased a new lamp and I installed it in about 10 minutes and the picture looks even better than before. This tv is the main tv and gets about 3-4 hours of use every night and about 6 on the weekend so I did put some hours on the bulb.

kevin10982
Unregistered guest
I've had the same problem. I bought mine in nov 03 and the thing crapped out in august 04. I had them send me a light bulb and a month later the same thing happened. I called them again and they sent two guys to REPLACE the light bulb AGAIN! (Thanks Sony)
Now it's jan 05 and i'm sitting in front of a flashing green light for what feels like days. I can't wait to see what sony does now....

Unregistered guest
think SONY should just come out to replace all lamp related complaints...bought my in Oct'03, called for a replacement lamp in Apr'04, and sitting with a black screen again in Jan'05. THIS IS REDICULOUS!!! with is many people having prob. with their LCD lamps, how could they not knowing the problem?? I wonder how we can report to the state on "lemon" law provision? anyone?

TLL
Unregistered guest
I purchased the Sony Grand WEGA KF-42WE655 on Christmas Day at Sears and have experienced a few diappointments. First, the tv would shut off on its own (3 separate occassions in 1.5 weeks) or the video display would appear on screen. I called Sears and they directed me through the "unplug the tv and wait for 30 minutes routine. It's been about 4 days now and the problem appears solved but since then, now the power/standby "red" led light stays on which means the tv is not completely shut-off. The manual says that if the red light flashes, you need servicing. Mine is not flashing. I understand that standby mode is not good for the lamp and will make it burn out. Not to mention, a waste of electricity. Long story short, I called Sony and they told me the tv appears to need servicing so I am back to dealing with Sears....

Does anyone know how I can get PIP to work? I am using component cables for the tv and dvd in video 5 & 6, which are the hd/tv connections. PIP should let me view from another source however, when in PIP mode, the viewing screen only goes from video 1-4. So if I am watching a dvd and want to scan whats on tv, I can't because it's on video 5. Can I somehow split the cable connection to video 1-4? your help is appreciated and I will keep you posted on the "service" issue. I may also have to give in to the warranty due to the numerous feedback about the life of the bulb. Thank you for your input!

Post Number: 10
I have a different model (KDF-55WF655), but I think it should work the same way. PIP does not work for 720p & HD connection. Thats why it doesn't show video 5 & 6. The manual says you have to split the antena cable from the wall, before it goes to your cable box. One goes directly to your TV, and the other one goes to your cable box and to the TV. In my case, I have 2 antena inputs on the back, so this scenario works fine.

I wasnt aware that we should completely shut off the TV (as in unplug the power) to make the lamp lasts longer. Is this really true ?
Thanks.

TLL
Unregistered guest
No, unplugging the power source will not make the lamp last longer. My tv remains in standby mode when I power-off the tv. The salesperson told me that standby mode can cause the bulb to burn out. I checked with Sony this morning and they said that while in standby mode, the bulb IS NOT being used/burned so the saleperson was misinformed. However, if you power off the tv and the standby light remains lit, this is not normal. They have recommended that I unplug all connections, pull the plug and wait 30 minutes. (This is the second time I am doing this to solve a problem). Thereafter, if you power-off from the tv and the standby light remains lit, the tv requires servicing. As per the manual, if this light flashes, servicing is also required.

Thanks for the hook-up info.

Marc4567890
Unregistered guest
Regarding State Lemon Laws, I think it only applies to cars. But I'm sure that sooner or later, someone will get ticked off and sue Sony, and the news will be picked up by the media. Only then Sony will be pressured to carry out some sort of recall. Otherwise they'll just play dumb (aka "I've never heard of that problem") and hope that everyone will just go away.

H. Karmen
Unregistered guest
On the KDF-42we655 it is normal for the tv to remain in standby mode with steady red led. Only if it flashes is there a problem. Standby does not engage the lamp. Many displays, receivers, etc., remain in standby mode using a few watts of power for quicker response when item is powered on from the remote.

Des
Unregistered guest
Can anyone confirm H. Karmen post? I just bought this set and the red light stays on, steady not blinking, when I turn off with remote control. I hope I do not have a problem right out of the box. Thank you in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Des, Yes, thats what the TV is supposed to do when you turn it off either with remote control or the power button on the TV. As long as the power cord is still plugged to the wall, the red light will stay on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us