Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 20, 2004Bantamcc100
Archive through September 19, 2004Smarter100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Bronze Member
Username: Leaffan

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 16
well let me clarify... it is in the basement because that's where my wife will let me have it =)

The basement is finished and hosts the A/V room so this is not itself unexpected. My only problem with the tv is the screen door effect, and this may be a knock on the technology rather than the model. Also the black levels... I have the ALIAS season I, II, III (Jennifier Garner...aggghhhhh...) and I don't know if it is the filming or what, but since there is no hockey I am watching these and every second scene seems to have dark spots - sometimes a quarter of the screen is too dark to see anything. Perhaps I need some calibrating, but I doubt it.

I am just frustrated with myself for getting addicted to the TV and purchasing it before thinking it through - again, not a knock against the unit itself!

Thanks for the inspiration Schlepp... perhaps when I finally get my receiver hooked up and I have the great sound to boot it will renew my interest!

So Bantamcc, hang on to your wallet for now, no sense losing money on these deals just yet!

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
a few things that *may help with your disatisfaction with the set (you likely know most of this but just in case)

1) The weaker blacks on LCD-RP are less noticable in a brigher room. DLP's have stronger blacks but suffers other issues. If your room is very dark, I'd experiment with adding more ambient light.

2) Different DVD's definitely show with different results - some list a number on the back that designates something to do with the lines of resolution. I have some DVD's that look like regular SD cable (lousy), and some DVD's that look stunning.

3) Your 50" is best viewed from at least 8 feet back - I view mine from 12 feet and never notice any screen dooring.

4) For DVD's, never use anything less than your component inputs and a decent progressive scan DVD player - Svideo or composite inputs for DVD look just plain lousy!

5) Make sure you don't skimp on the quality of your component cables!

Overall, in a relatively bright room, I think this Sony rivals the newer HD2+ DLPs in picture quality - keep playing with the setup and try different DVD's and things should start to look better.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous

I received my set(50") yesterday and I must say the DVD looks amazing on it...Digital satelite is also quite nice, so I will hold off on getting a HD ExpressVu for awhile...

I ended paying $3260+tx including the free sony base for it....great deal overall

Anyone know for sure what PC video card with DVI will work with this TV? I want to build a HTPC soon and want to make sure I buy the right video card.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Anonymous .... nice deal ... that's the best I've heard of so far - where did you buy?

Evidently the best video drivers for a HTPC and the sony currently is the latest Nvidia's (I too will be setting mine up sometime soon).

The main problem revolves around matching the Sony native resolution of 1386x788 on your computer - the Nvidia cards are working the best so far.

Here are some threads to bring you up to speed on the overscan issues:

My first questions on this same issue:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/103815.html

Tweakers Guide:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3326925#post3326925

Just read the first post on this next link, the rest is outdated info now...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321968&perpage=20&high light=1304x734&pagenumber=1

I'd be very interested to hear how you make out as you get setup.

Here's a link to a nice quiet case I've been thinking about:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=93703

Good luck!

Anonymous

Thanks Schlepp

I got it from a coworkers brother who works for a furniture store. He gave us a deal on 2 units.

As for cases, I was thinking of going the mini-itx route...check out http://www.mini-itx.com/ for details.

I only plan on playing downloaded TV shows and movies, along with my MP3 collection into my steroo. DVD playback will remain the duty of my Toshiba DVD player. But now with the issues that I am reading I will have to look deeper into getting a midsize PC or Mini/Flex ATX cases.

I will start doing more research in the next month or two.

For now DVDs will have to do!

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Toshiba HTPC RISC processor running Linux I presume?

Now that's a big bite to chew on for me, a Linux newbie, but I'd really like to hear your research results and what HTPC software/PVR/DVD works with this setup.

The Windows based ATX setup is pretty straighforward, but I'm all ears if there is a better solution.

Maybe we should start a new thread?

Info Seeker
Unregistered guest
Toshiba 50 inch HD2 DPL - RP model 52HM84:

Any expereice, comment on this TV?

Any site, forum where I can get some additional info on this TV?

Will appreciate your help.

Thanks

omarko
Unregistered guest
Recieved my 50' yesterday, and noticed a really small black blotch on the left side of the screen. It seems to take up 3 megapixels(?) on the screen. Sales guy told me when megapixels burn, they should turn white (as opposed to black in previous models).

Upon further inspection, I noticed other single pixels that are black on the screen- about 14 of them. I had to find a cartoon station with a white background and really look hard to find them.

I am supposed to be getting the TV replaced, but now reconsidering the technology.

The question I have is how likely are these megapixels to burn out?
Is it true once they burn the white/black patches on the screen become permanent?

Saul
Unregistered guest
Has anyone bought a set (or anything) from Future Shop and needed the use of their extended warranty? Bought a KF42we620 with an extended warranty, and am worried that their warranties are a problem. Haven't received the set yet, and will go elsewhere if service is a problem.
Would appreciate your thoughts.

Anonymous

I bought an extended warranty for a laptop. Being an IT director I am capable of diagnosing problems with computers. I have a failing hard drive on this laptop and proceeded to use utilities from the manufacturer of the hard drive to diagnose the problem. When I visited Future Shop to ask for service on my laptop, they simply said I had to leave the laptop with them for diagnosis, and only if the can find the problem they would fix/replace the faulty part and all this would take a minimum of 3 weeks!!!!

Totally unacceptable IMO. That is the last time I buy an extended warranty, but that's just my opinion, everyone has a different one.

Saul
Unregistered guest
Anonymous.....thanks alot. That was my concern.
Interestingly, I had a commitment from both Future Shop AND Sears that their extended warranties covered the bulbs on the Sony (or any) RP sets. Guaranteed, both sales guys said. So, I phoned both of the extended warranty numbers, and both said "bulbs are consumables, and are NOT covered...not sure why the sales people would say that". Seems like extended warranties are a rip off, but with the new technologies, worried about something nasty happening. Does anyone have experience with problems with the Sony sets other than burnt out bulbs??

Bronze Member
Username: Bantamcc

Post Number: 40
Saul (And rest of you),

I must be posting stuff in a parallel universe (or at least another thread) 'cause we've been thru this bulb thing at least a zillion times.

Now for an umpteenth time :

-The issue with these RP TV's is with a failing Phillips bulb that was installed on some sets prior to January 2004. It would prevent the TV from turning on and the lamp light would flash indefinitely. If you had one of these sets, Sony would replace the bulb free of charge. You did'nt need a warranty for that.

-The lamp under normal conditions should last 8000 to 10,000 hours. This condition IS NOT covered by any warranty and you have to purchase from Sony. These cost $300 now but hopefully in a few years when your lamp (UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS) begins to fade, the price will have dropped somewhat. The Sony website shows consumers how to change it yourself.If your lamp is fading now and you've just purchased the set, you got a lemon and it should fall under the 1 year basic Sony warranty. THIS IS NOT THE BULB ISSUE !

Now go back and read all the posts. You may want to goto another thread where I probably posted this info previously.

See:

;-)

Anonymous

Anyone get a good deal on the Sony 50" xx620 recently? Seems like the free stand deal is over, so the best I could find from an authorized dealer was $3,400 for just TV. Stand was $599 (699 msrp), and 2 yr warranty was $250.

Bugs me that I can't get the stand now! Fyi, I'm in Toronto.

JJJJJ
Unregistered guest
Just thought I would pass along my story with the Sony Wega 50" 620. Purchased 2 months ago. TV started to periodically blank out and the colors would separate. I returned to Future Shop and told the manager that I wanted them to replace the TV. The manager immediately told me it was not our problem and must deal directly with sony because you are passed the 30 day exchange warranty. This was not acceptable and told the manager that if they did not replace the TV I would park it outside the store and talk to customers! After about 30 minutes of this he aggreed to replace the TV if a Sony repair man deemed it defective. Long story short....the TV was deemed defective and was replaced within one week. Upon which I purchased the 5 yr extended warranty. Normally I never purchase warranties but after this experience and the new technology I opted for it. FYI...the sales person assured me that the bulbs are covered under the extended warranty. Otherwise the new TV is amazing!!!

Saul
Unregistered guest
JJJJJ
Thanks for the info. Loved the way you dealt with the manager. Perfect ploy, which we all need to remember. Did you check to see if the warranty people will replace the bulb? I susspect they will tell you it is not covered, inspite of what the sales people tell you. Off topic a bit, but just bought a new Dell desktop, and was having problems getting to OEM Norton installed. I called the tech support @ Dell, who told me to check with Norton, who, as anyone knows will tell you OEM installed software is covered by dealers of the hardware. Interesting how warranty people screw you around.

dsc
Unregistered guest
Just bought my new 50' grad wega 620. My boys
have somehow lost the manual. Is there a way to
stretch normal TV (non HDTV) to fit the screen.
Beside that this TV is totally awesome.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
dsc .... Sure is:

It's the second from the top row of buttons and second from the left had side on the remote.

You have four choices that scroll each time you hit this button:

4x3
Stretch
Zoom
Wide Zoom

You can download a PDF version of the manual from Sonystyle.ca - just go there, find your model and the manual is listed in one of the descriptive Tabs there.

I'll post the link but its so long, it may not work from here:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=173764&navigationPath=32050n45260

Subculture
Unregistered guest
Fyi, great deal now with these TV's. For $500 more, you get free Sony stand, and Sony DVD RECORDER, plus 2 yrs free rental of HD Bell Sat system. Get the 50" for around $3,400, and that means for $3,900 you get all of the above included.

Bronze Member
Username: Denis54

Post Number: 11
My GWIV remote needs to be aimed perfectly at my TV for the signal to be received. If I do not aim straight at the TV, it will not pick up the signal.

My cable box remote is much more powerfull. Even if the remote is pointed in another direction the TV will pick up the signal.

Do all GWIV remote have a weak signal or is there a problem with mine?

Gryphon
Unregistered guest
I have the benefits of having the 50WE610 (since Dec 03) AND now the 50WE620 (last week).

I did have the bulb problem that was documented by many in WE610. I removed the bulb, reseated and tightened it and the problem went again.

The black versus sliver surround is really a personal choice.

One noticeable difference is the brightness of the bulb in the WE620.

Other than, the absence of the memory stick slot...the rest is the same.

Great quality when hooked up to the 6 hi-def channels from the local Shaw cable company.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Dsc and Schlepp,

Schlepp beat me to it as far as providing Dsc with link to PDF format Wega manual.

Here is smaller link.
http://tinyurl.com/5wuda

;-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Gryphon,

Cuirous as to what you did with your Wega 610 50". I wanted 50" after buying the 610 42" but my wife convinced me otherwise. Although I regret listening to her, I'm enjoying my 42" all the same.

Would gladly swap to 50" if opportunity arose although I'de have to swap my 610 and return on my buck would be poor. Was wondering if you traded up from 610 ?

'Lemme know...

When you say problem 'went again' do you mean problem wen't away after tightening bulb or problem returned. If it wen't away, I'm surprised 'cause that defect was related to an inferior bulb and not due to fact that it may have been loose in some sets. I know for a fact that previous sets (mfg. prior to January 2004) had a Phillips bulb which was later replaced with a German made one. At a loss right now to remember what name of German mfg. is.

Ya, I like the black contour of 610 myself and rarely use the memory stick so upgrading to 50" 620 would'nt be a problem.

Does lamp in 620 really make that much of a difference? Did you look at 610 and 620 side by side with same signal and channel? Hope not 'cause I hate to think I bought obsolesence.

;-)

mowjoe
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 50" from future shop today (arrives on wed) $2799; sony stand $299; 3 yr ext warr $319. I did refer a friend to the salesman,and he bought the same unit 2 days ago (that probably had something to do with getting the good deal).

Anonymous

That's an excellent price...best I've heard of anywhere. What future shop was that from? I have friends interested in buying

Anonymous

Seriously, that's an amazing price considering the best I've seen is for $3,400. Are you sure it's the new 620, 50" tv and not the 42" or the 610?? Please post the future shop and the sales guy's name.

nickt
Unregistered guest
Definately a great price...........I would also like to know the future shop as i would go for the same deal.

Alan M
Unregistered guest
Uh oh

I left my 50" 620 on all day with no signal - i.e. just a blank, illuminated black screen. Stupid, I know. Should I be worried? (e.g, about burn in, pixel damage, bulb degradation, breakdown of internal parts which may have overheated...)

Looks okay so far, but I'm kicking myself.

Dammit.

A

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 35
Alan- I wouldn't worry.

Anonymous

Damn Mowjoe, you've left us all hanging! Where can we get the 620 for $2,800!!!

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
If you get the KF50WE620 for anything less than the very low 3000's, the salesman runs the risk of getting sacked, as it will red flag the purchase automatically at HQ. $2800+/- is well below their employee cost. Employee cost is usually 10% over front desk wholesale price (there may be two levels of wholesale, one that the front end doesn't see), but even if there is a lower back end wholesale price, there still isn't too much left in this deal for the store.

Don't ask how I know (no, I don't work there)

Buying the KF50WE620 under $3000 means one of the following:

1) either the salesman was green and is about to get hammered by management for selling below employee discount.

2) the unit was a floor model and they were wanting to blow it out.

3) they wanted to blow it out for some other reason, maybe new stock replacing it, bloated inventory etc.

Overall, under $3000 for the KF50WE620 is a very good price (who knows, it may become the norm while these things change over to newer models) and it seems a little early for the stores to be blowing them out at this price, but as usual, the amount of profit in these machines is quite often staggering.

Go for the throat when buying a big ticket item, its your money!

nickt
Unregistered guest
Hey mowjoe, did you get your new sony delivered?

What do you think?

Saul
Unregistered guest
I bought the 42" for 2950, including stand. Can't imagine the 50" going for so little unless it is last years, 610 (aauming they are still around)
BTW, my 42" 620 is amazing..i couldn't be happier.

Vince10
Unregistered guest
Recent pricing I have encountered is in line with what Saul has just posted.

I was in Best Buy last weekend (Markham mall), and the salesman stated that he could probably get me the 42" with Sony stand for $2999. Best buy sales guys are not commissioned (at least this guy was not).

I hear that the markup on these TVs is about 40%. With an MSRP of $3499, these retailers are likely buying them for about $2499. As for he stands, they are a piece of molded (injected?) plastic and glass that are made real cheap.

omarko
Unregistered guest
Sonycare has a new promotion: if you buy one of their 2 or 3 year extended warranty, then you get an extra 1 year for free. The bargain is for the 2 year + 1 free.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=173764&navigationPath=32050n45260
then click on extended warranties on right side

Anyone have comments on my Oct. 25/04 post? I would like to hear comments on how reliable/unreliable this tv technology is...as most of us are taking on the risk.

Thanks

Vince10
Unregistered guest
Here is another trick. Use a high end credit card such as Royal Bank Avion.

This card extends your warranty by a year on all purchases (have not yet read the small print). On this particular card you also get double points on purchases until Aug.05.

Not a plug here, I don't work for RBC. There are probably other cards with this similar benefit.

Cheers.

Mowjoe
Unregistered guest
Nickt, I backed out of the Sony at the last minute and got the panasonic 50" instead ($2900) -kept the sony stand.

I really like surfing the web & playing half life 2 on the big tv and it doesnt seem possible (or at least not easy) to hook up the pc to the Sony. I really like the Panasonic thus far.

My friend who did buy the Sony (50" 620) is going to bring it over to my house next week to do a side-by-side comparison. We both have about 20 days to change our minds and go with 1 or the other.

Mowjoe
Unregistered guest
Nickt, I backed out of the Sony at the last minute and got the panasonic 50" instead ($2900) -kept the sony stand.

I really like surfing the web & playing half life 2 on the big tv and it doesnt seem possible (or at least not easy) to hook up the pc to the Sony. I like the Panasonic thus far.

My friend who did buy the Sony (50" 620) is going to bring it over to my house next week to do a side-by-side comparison. We both have about 20 days to change our minds and go with 1 or the other.

Username: Narcicus

Post Number: 1
Well I jumped on the LCD bandwagon tonite. Total came to 3790 plus tax. This got me the 50" GW620, sony stand, Sony DVD recorder with coupon for 20 R/W DVD's, Bell HD Sat. 2 yr lease coupon, $50 future shop gift card. Not too, too bad. Pick it up on Saturday. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Anonymous

Is the lamp covered under the extended warranty from Sony? I was thinking of purchasing the warranty but if the lamp is not covered will pass on it.

BTW I am extremely happy with my 50" 620....but unless you get HD programming, its a waste of TV. The HD really is where it shines.

A friend just picked up the Hitachi 50v500...he too is pleased

Unregistered guest
Hey guys,

I have a KF50WE610 (its the 50" one) and matching sony stand. This tv is freakin unbelievable and has not given me any problems at all. It is in MINT condition, you would think it has never been touched if you saw it. Only thing is I am itchin to get the new Hitachi 60" 60vS810 because it looks so ridiculous. SO..I am trying to sell my sony kf50we610 and matching stand together. I live in Philadelphia but am willing to ship or even deliver it myself if I am interested in visiting that area. Am looking to get decent offer because it is in Brand New condition so you can save money buying from me instead of a store plus you get the stand too which is also obviously in MINT condition. I take very well care of stuff I love, and I love that TV and stand. SO...anyways if you are interested in buying I can send pictures from all angles and with tv on and whatever you like, I have nothing to hide. Plus if you live in an area that isnt to CRAZY far, I will maybe deliver it myself. Like I have a cousin in Montreal so if you are near Montreal I will definitly deliver it and then i can see my cousin for few days. Anyways, send me an email to TheRock847@yahoo.com with an offer and where you live, make sure that your offer is what you will pay if you are 100 percent satisfied with my TV and stand (which you for sure will be). Also please make offers in US dollar currency, do not want any confusions on deals. Thanks and hope to hear from somebody soon.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Berserk,

Too bad you live in Philly 'cause I've regretted listening to my wife about not getting a 50" KF50WE610 back in May when I got the KF42WE610. I'de gladly swap the 42" with the 50" but Your too far and besides you want a Panny TV to replace the Sony.

Happy Hunting !

;-)

Anonymous

This post has so much useful info, thanks to all !

I've a Mac, and it has a DVI out, that means I should be able to connnect to the KF42WE620 no problem right ?

Saul, where did you buy the 42" for 2950, including stand ? I just brought my for $2900, but nothing is included. The sales at FS in Toronto said he did me a favour with free delivery, but shouldn't big items like this usually is free anyway ? BTW, if I decided to return it, do FS come pick it up for free/for a charge ?

Happy shopping !

Ken.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Re MAC with DVI out:

Sony KF42WE620 as you know, has no VGA inputs (SHAME ON YOU SONY) so hooking up a PC at decent resolution has to happen via DVI.

Problem centres around difficulties matching the screen resolution on your Notebook, with the screen rez of the TV, which is 1386x788, if my memory serves. If you can't get them sinked-up, then there are annoying under and overscan issue.

How much flexibility you have on the MAC at matching this unorthodox Sony resolution, will depend on the video drivers in your Mac. If it's ATI, it will not currently be as successful as the Nvidia drivers, but this is in flux as drivers are continually upgraded.

On the PC side, people are making it work by using latest Big Screen friendly Nvidia drivers along with a few tweaks in the TV's service menu and something called POWERSTRIP, a software utility that enables one to use custom screen resolutions.

I have heard that once you get it all working, it looks AWESOME!

.... but .... SHAME ON SONY for not enabling easy PC/notebook hookup like Panasonic and Samsung have.

Let us know how you make out with your MAC and the Sony DVI.

More Info (just read the first bit here as most is outdated info now):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321968&perpage=20&high light=1304x734&pagenumber=1

Heres a forum dedicated to this issue on the PC:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3326925#post3326925

Good luck!

Saul
Unregistered guest
Hi Anonymous
I bought my set in Calgary at Future Shop. Went with one other friend who got the same deal, then sent a third friend, for the same deal.
Noticed that they are advertised in Best Buy here for $2900 as well.
Anyway, just noticed, when the black bars on the sides are visible with standard signal, there is a white dashed line running vertically on the right side about 1/2" from the picture edge. Looks like a service call on a new expensive set. Glad I bought an extended warranty, as this may be a sign of things to come.

Unregistered guest
Bantamcc, you spend too much time listening to your wife! Buy the damn 50" and put it your winecellar with a gas fireplace.
Then retire down there and let her watch the damm 42"!!
You need some SSRIs to REALLY appreciate the big picture!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Paxilman,

Ya I guess your right about another GW but I spend already too much time watching my GWIII 42" instead of my wife. In fact just the other night she stripped in front of the TV to get my attention.

I'll stick to one TV for now but this TV is so wonderful I may just spring for another one with my income tax $$ in the spring.

Keep in touch and lay off the Paxil !

nickt
Unregistered guest
Hey Mowjoe.......How did that comparison go with the Sony and Panny. I have kind of convinced myself away from the Sony to the Panny.
$2900 is a great deal too...did you get it at Future Shop?

Mowjoe
Unregistered guest
nickt, we did the side-by-side comparison at my house yesterday. To be honest, no real difference. We tried different settings; dvd; hd; sd. The picture on the 2 tv's did look "different", but once we played with the settings, we really couldn't say that one looked better than the other. My buddy is sticking with the Sony, and unless I can get the Panny dlp within a couple hundred $'s of the lcd price before my 30 days are up, I'll stay with the lcd Panny.

Username: Goose1873

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 3
What is the difference btw the 655 and the 620???

Username: Big_p

Wondering if someone can help me out. Just purchased the KF50WE620 and would like to know if the "Full" wide mode is best for watching widescreen DVD's? Does anyone know if this mode streches widescreen DVD images?

subculture
Unregistered guest
Yes, the Full mode for wide setting is the natural intended mode for widescreen DVDs. Whether it's 16:9 or 2:35 to 1, it's the correct mode.

It's also the correct mode for widescreen HD content thru the cable box.

Bronze Member
Username: Leaffan

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 17
Does anyone diagree that full mode is the correct mode? On widescreen movies this results in about 6 inches on the top and bottom of the screen being unused. I find wide-zoom is the way to go.... anyone, anyone....??

TM
Unregistered guest
DaveG. The 655 has a HD tuner in it. I have the 42" 655 and it has two tuners. One is an HD tuner for over the air local HD and the other one is for cable. I pick up Video on Demand on the cable input. I bypass the cable box and do a auto scan. You get what other people are watching but it's free. People watch strange things at strange times of the day.

Username: Sextant2

Courtenay, BC Canada

Hi All...first off great site for support...sure glad I 'fluked" out and wound up with the 50WE620 vs 610...total fluke as I had already made the purchase prior to finding this sight!!
BTW....the 50 grand Wega rocks...awesome ...wife said it looks like we got a Buik parked in the livingroom!!
Analog isn't the way to go for afficianados, but will go to Digital Cable on this one..eventually!!
My question is.....just purchased an XBox system for my son for Xmas...got the Component Cables and really really really do want to hook up to my 50 inch and Surround Sound system....but seeing all kinds af different stuff on "Screen burn in"...any comments ideas...past experiences with this from anyone prior to going ahead and doing it??

help...says my son...but its my $$$
Oh...got the Grand Wega KF-50WE620 about 3 weeks ago at Future Shop Courtenay BC for 3495 plus 10% off..came in around 3195...stand 400...Panasonic 1000W 5.1 Surround 650...total layout 4900, thought it was a pretty good deal!

Cheers
B

Username: Narcicus

Post Number: 2
Gotta love all that competition out there.
I just got a price adjustment at future shop because the guys at the Sony Store were practically giving the 620's away.
$3440 for the 50in. 620 including the stand, dvd recorder, satelite receiver, yadda yadda yadda...

Courtenay, BC Canada

Narcicus,
Very cool...sounds like the same package that was offered me!! Although I didn't want the DVD Recorder (got burners on my computers and cannot remember the last time I wanted to record something off of TV...oh...I think it weas an epidode of Cheers back in 1986..hahahaha, also didn't want the Sat lease package, but the real question is...are you happy wioth your rig...and can I safely hook up my kids Xbox??
Gotta love that big screen....thats what I'm talking about..!!!
Cheers
B

620 Lover
Unregistered guest
What a fantastic TV, Santa delivered it this morning, however, he left some fingerprints on the screen. What's the best thing to clean these with?

anon123321
Unregistered guest
Got the KF50WE610 in Nov 2003,
I wasn't aware of the bulb issue
until it blew up on me yesterday.
Some posts mentioned that Sony would replace
the bulb for free???
I got Good Guys extended warranty,
I'm going to call them tonight,
wonder if the bulb is covered.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
620, i've always used that electronics screen cleaner by endust. it doesn't have ammonia or alchohol.

Subculture - thanks for the feedback, I think I'm starting to lean towards the wide-zoom setting now.

Has anyone experienced a problem displaying progressive scan output on the Sony KF50WE620. I have tried 2 seperate progressive scan players and tried a number of setting configurations but keep ending up with an image that is best described as being grainy and photo negative like. I called Sony and they have never heard of this issue. They told me to call in a technician which would suck since I have only had the TV for about 2 weeks.

Courtenay, BC Canada

Mark
I find that some very dark DVD movies tend to have this grainy / pixelated look...I too have tried fiddling with many settings to improve this to no avail. I believe I read that DLPs offer better picture quality for the dark stuff. When I play any DVD with vibrant colors the picture is amazing...perhaps the darker images are something we must live with. For example...Lord of the Rings, Shrek2 both look totally awesoome....the movie Collateral looked very grainy and pixelated.
I have the same TV as you.

Cheers

Avery
Unregistered guest
I got thge 42WE610 from BestBuy.com yesterday for $1889.99....awesome!!

If the bulb does go out like I hear some do, does sony cover it!!

color problems
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone, I have the 620, I turned it on tonight when I got home and the colors are all messed up.
Too much blue.. sort of a blue tint. Just horrible to look at.
Has anyone had this problem?
No settings were adjusted since I turned it off last night.

Any suggestions, help would be great.

Thanks

Anonymous

Maybe the lamp needs to be raplaced.

color problems
Unregistered guest
Good Lord, I hope it's not the lamp. I've only
had the TV since Christmas. I turned it off and on hoping that would change things but it didn't. I turned it off and then unplugged it for 30 seconds or so and then tried it again. The picture is back to normal. Has anyone had this problem? I hope it's not a reocurring problem.

Any suggestions or stories of this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

CHIP9797
Unregistered guest
Hi:
I want to purchase the KF50WE620 in Montreal.
I will need a stand . I am also considering the extended guarantee , but I am not sure.

I need advice as follows:

1. should I buy warranty
2. suggestions on stand
3. best deal available in Montreal

THANKS

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
CHIP,

I bought the KF42W610 last April and shopped around like crazy. Best deal in town was $3300 at Dumoulin on St.Catherine street. Remember that was last April so that deal was superb. I know the salesman there. His name is Stephane Romain. I'm sure he'll undercut any price you give him.

The Sony stands suck. I got the Techcraft stand which will compliment your TV wonderfully. See http://www.techcraft-furniture.com/flash/index.htm and choose model SWE50. Much cheaper than Sony stands and take up much less room. Who knows Stephane may throw one in to close deal.

Yes by all means get a extended warranty considering earlier sets like mine had bulb issues. I doubt problem exists with 620 series though. An extra 4 years with parts & labour should set you back another 450$ but that could have changed. New technology so you never know what could go wrong. The colours and clarity on this TV will blow you away ! Still regret not getting the 50" but the 42" is fantastic !

Good Luck. I hope this helped.

;-)

Unregistered guest
Please keep in mind that Best Buy will not cover the bulb issue but Sony will cover it for 1 year.

Username: Davetv

Hi all! Here in Calgary, I went shopping on Dec. 27 for the KF50W620. A&B Sound and Soundsaround had it on sale for $3298.00 with stand. I went over to Futureshop to see if I could cut a better deal and happily discovered they had it on special for $2999.00 (including stand). I couldn't believe my eyes! I asked the salesman and he said it was a one day only "manager's sale" Canada wide, with a fixed number available. As he was keying in my purchase, I looked over his shoulder and there were only 6 TV's left and then the sale was sold out. He also threw in free delivery/setup and don't pay for a year! I bought the 5 year extended warranty for peace of mind. He said it doesn't include bulb replacement, but when I went back the other day to buy a DVD player, a different salesman said the extended warranty DOES cover the bulbs. (kind of confusing)

Well, 12 days of waiting and my new toy arrived yesterday!! The picture clarity is awesome!!
The analog cable channels actually look suprisingly good and Tuesday I'm getting HDTV Bell Expressvu installed, so can't wait to see what HDTV is going to look like.

One question - I rented the movie Troy last night, and the DVD is in letterbox/widescreen format. The letterbox DVD left small black bars on the top and bottom of the picture, but what suprised me is that the bottom black bar is slightly wider than the top bar. Was wondering if anybody else noticed the uneven black bars in letterbox ? If this is normal, no big deal, but if not, then I should do something about it while still within the 30 day return policy.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

Saul
Unregistered guest
Dave....that is an amazing price for the 50". I paid 2950 for the 42" plus stand, no delivery or set up included. It was at Future Shop in Calgary as well.
The black bars being uneven seems strange, but they should exist as the standard mode for the DVD is not actually 16:9, which is the format on the screen. Are other DVD's showing uneven bars? Since the system was setup by the future shop guys, I would contact them to check out their setup. YOu can adjust the centering with one of the menu items on your remote. Will adjust left-right as well as vertical positioning.
I got the salesman to write on the receipt that the bulb is covered by the extended warranty and that the store will replace it if the warranty people refuse.
Good luck

Keither
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased the 50" and I am pleased with it so far. Right now I do not have a dish nor a box for HDTV. The 50" does not come with a HDTV tuner so at this time I do get any HDTV. Is there any type of box/tuner out there that I can buy to watch HDTV stations on my regular cable line? I would like to watch the NFL playoffs in HDTV....
Thanks

bucko
Unregistered guest
They are selling the KF50W620 for $3199 and the KF42W620 for $2699 at Tele City in Toronto, Yonge St. They are also throwing in the sony stand for free ($699). I have yet to see a better price anywhere. So if any of you Torontonians are looking at these models try there first.

Username: Uberchauch

Toronto, Ontario Canada

I got the Sony KF50W620 about a month ago. It rocks! I am currently just watching DVDs but will now start watching TV. I was thinking of getting Bell Express Vu (as part of the Plus Plus Plus promotion) but Sony says that it will take 4-6 weeks to have the promotion coupon mailed to me. So now, I am thinking of just getting Rogers Digital Cable.

Any thoughts? How will Rogers Digital Cable look on this TV? Any info would be greatly appreciated before I make a decision.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Uber,

I had Bell and now have Rogers there really isn't any difference and if I had to make the choice Rogers would be my choice. The clarity is incredible. I annoy my wife with the "this picture is incredible" line 2 or 3 times a night.

Enjoy

Anonymous

I have Bell HD and a 50" 620 and I too:

"I annoy my wife with the "this picture is incredible" line 2 or 3 times a night. "

I paid 3260$ with stand and delivery/setup in October.

I also had a similar problem with the colors and messed up....TV was just all white. Unplugged it and that corrected it, its happened twice so far. I plan on extending my warranty at the end of the year through Sony directly

Post Number: 4
Well the technician finally came and the digital processor module is FUBAR and needs to be replaced. I'm glad this repair is under warranty because the module is close $1000 CAD.

Not sure how this unit left the factory without testing to see if it could process a progressive or HD image.

Needless to say I'm not too impressed so far. The part should take a couple of days - they have to order from the US. Hopefully this is the only issue with the set.

Technician did say that he has never seen this problem on the 610 or 620. Also said that the 620 has been alot more reliable the 610.

Post Number: 5
Oh ya anyone shopping for the KF50W620, here is a little piece of info that may help you out when negotiating the price. I have a contact at Sony and apparently the unit cost to retailers for this set is currently $2700 CAD.

sam brown
Unregistered guest
I'm wondering what is the closest you can watch a 50" from. My distance would be 8 feet. Is that too close for the 50"?

Thanks

color problem2
Unregistered guest
I had a color problem just like what was posted here on Jan. 8. Mine turned Green instead of blue. I turned if off and unplugge it, then everything came back to normal again. Has anyone had this problem.

dead pixels
Unregistered guest
I had 2 dead pixels, It can only be seen at a very close distance, and cannot be seen from six feet away. The dead pixels are small white dots size of a tip of a pen. Any feed back would be appreciated.

mississauga
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,

Can you recommend an inexpensive receiver that I can hook on to the Sony. I have 4 builtin speakers in my family room. Was thinking of getting a receiver and using these speakers. So any recommendation with approx. price would be nice.

BTW, just picked up a Harmony Remote. It is awesome. One button turns on the TV, Digital box etc. Same thing if I want to watch the DVDs. Wife was getting pretty pissed having to handle two / three remotes before she could watch the TV. If you folks are interested let me know, I got an excellent deal on it. Future Shop/Bestbuy selling it for 199.

Anonymous

Rule of thumb (assuming a pristine hi def signal) w/b you can view as close as screen diagonal distance, and in fact any further distance and you would be missing alot of the amazing detail provided by optimized hi definition

Our screen for our front projector is about 8 feet diagonal and viewing any further for example than 8 feet on hi def NFL Football broadcasts - detracts from the experience

At 16 feet you see the game

At 8 feet you are AT the game

The owners' manual that comes with the Panasonic PT-AE700U FRONT PROJECTOR LCD even suggests screen diagonal distance as ideal for front row viewing distance for a home theater setup

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Mississauga,

Time for my bi-weekly 2 cents. See : http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/documents/specifications/KF4 2WE610.pdf

See section 'Recommended Viewing Area' in 'Installing and connecting the LCD TV section'.

For 42", 5.9 ft for both vertical/horizontal distance. For 50" 6.6 ft. For 60" 7.2 ft.

Although I warn my boyz regularly about watching it from proper distance, they continue to watch it from 2-3 feet. I suspect kids brains decipher images differently . LOL !

Remember, it's still a projection TV. You need a little distance.

;-)

omarko
Unregistered guest
To "dead pixels" (Jan 22/05)
....I purchased my 50" from Sears and when delivered I noticed a dark dust spot on the inside of the screen. I called Sears and about 3 weeks later got it replaced. When the second one arrived, I noticed one dead pixel- the pixel would stay green on a dark background and red on a white background. So, I called Sears and again had it replaced (could have got my $ back, if I wanted). So the third one arrived a few weeks later and so far so good. All of our major appliances had been purchased from Sears simply because they have the best customer satisfaction guarantee. I definately recommend Sears for major purchases!!!

To "Uber"
I was asking about the Starchoice system at Sears and just found out this weekend that they are beginning to carry the Rogers box. Sears told me that they will be offering a great price on the HD and PVR boxes when they start promoting them.

Oh BTW, I really like Sears

Hamilton area,
Mark

Username: Alamakluke

Hey this forum is great, lots of good info. I am interested in buying the KF50WE620, so I went in the Sony store in Mississauga Erin Mills and I dealt with the assistant manager at the store, am course their price was 3999$ + Taxes. You get the free stand (699$) and a 250$ gift card, that he recommends using for extra warranty because right now if you buy 2 years of extra warranty, Sony will give you 1 more year, for a total of 3 years for the price of 2 (250). So I told him, make me a deal, he comes back with 3720$ + tax with equals out to 4278$. That is way too expensive compared to some messages in this forum. So if anybody knows where to go in Missisauga for the best deal, let me know. I told the guy at Sony that I would come back tomorrow or Thursday. SO let me know, names and what price I should get it for.

Thanks
Luc

Post Number: 6
Well the saga continues....

After fixing the digital processing issue I now have a few red pixels in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This thing is definitely a lemon.

I've had enough - this thing is going back.

Panasonic here I come.

Post Number: 7
Pixel problem.

Found this in the owner's manaul. Nice, very nice!

"About the LCD Projection TV

Although the LCD projection TV is amde with high-precision technology, black dots may appear or bright points of light (red,blue, or green) may appear constantly on the LCD screen. This is a structural property of the LCD panel and is not a defect."

Technician pointed me to this.

Newman
Unregistered guest
To "dead pixels",

I got the same thing on my new bought 42" Sony. Two dead pixels, one blue and one white. It won't affect watching TV at a regular distance. But do have a concern that there is more chance to become worse.
I have called Sony and Futureshop. And waiting for Sony's response. Also thinking to replace one with Futureshop.(didn't buy the extended waranty)

Any comments?

Post Number: 8
Newman,

I did some research and this pixel issue is a phenomenon known as a "lit" pixel, this occurs when a transistor occasionally shorts to the on position and results in a permanently "turned-on" (red, green or blue) pixel.

There is no way fix the transistors after the set has been manufactured. Apparently you can kill the transistor using a laser but then you end up wih a "dead pixel" (black dot).

Each manufacturer sets an acceptable tolerance level for "lit" and "dead" pixels. I'm going to contact Sony and see what there's is.

I can't watch my TV because all I look at is that freaking red dot. My set is barely a month old so I am definitley concerned that "lit" or "dead" pixels are going to become more of an issue.

I'll post Sony's response once I get it.

See my earlier post about Sony's disclaimer with respect to this pixel issue.

Newman
Unregistered guest
Mark, thanks for your information.
I was also told by an Sony authorized service shop, that 2 lit or dead pixel is within the tolerance level and won't be fixed according to Sony's waranty policy.

Pixel subject
Unregistered guest
Dead pixels : I got the same response from Sony. 2 dead pixels is acceptable. It has to be 4 dead pixels per square inch before they fix it.

Post Number: 9
Newman - thanks for the tolerance levels.

I'm going to have a Sony Authorized Technician come and look at it. By what you guys are saying if it is a single "lit" pixel I really shouldn't be able to notice it at normal viewing distance. I suspect I have a group of more than 4 "lit" pixels because I can see it from 13 feet away. On top of that, it appeared right after they replaced my digital processing module.

Anonymous

I bought the Sony KF42W620 on January 20 from Future Shop in Toronto for 2945.00 which included the freestand and delivery. I really like the TV and get a great picture with Rogers digital HDTV service. I like the TV even more as it was on sale at Future shop in Toronto for $2499.00 ( including free stand) this past weekend and Future Shop honoured their price guarantee and refunded the difference.

Newman
Unregistered guest
Mark, it must be multi-pixel issue if you can see it from 13 feet away! Actually, the technician told me they would fix it if it can be seen from 7 feet away.
With a thorough check, I found at least 9 lit and dead pixels. Yes, each of them can only be seen within a two feet distance.

Owen
Unregistered guest
I bought a KDF-42WE655 two weeeks ago it was working great, until Sunday. When it started to get dark and light vertical lines across the screen. These lines are on both componet inputs, one is cable the other is the dvd player. these lines are also on the uhf/vhf input on the over the air anntena. The lines are not on the composite input to the vcr which is also hooked to the cable.

Unregistered guest
I am strongly considering the 42" GW despite the recent pixel issue posts and all the hoola that DLP will last longer, however I intend on using this tv as a monitor for my Toshiba Media Centre Laptop. Because the TV doesn't have an RGB input should I be concerned with this? My laptop does have S-Video output which is what I currently use to connect it to my TV. How will the display differ?

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Ojamae,

Please read previous posts. Specially from Schlepp. I have svideo adapter thru my NVIDEO card on my laptop so I don't use the VGA connexion.

Supposedly the GW won't drive a VGA. read Schlepp's posts as mentioned.

;-)

Unregistered guest
Thios post is specifically for Schlepp or anyone else who has had the same experiences he has with connecting these TV's to HTPC's. It is crunch time and I think I am down to eithier the 50" Sony which has come down to the lowest price I've seen yet of $2995 or go with the Panasonic PT50DL54 which is $300 more at Best Buy. I am looking forward to my Noteboomk being connected to this TV & if there is not an acceptable solution withthe Sony, I may have to go with the Panny. What have you come up with Schlepp? I am running windows Media center 2004 with NVidia GeForce FX Go5600 graphics card. I keep researching and coming back to the Sony, but am still having a hard time getting over this connection problem.

Bummed Out
Unregistered guest
Ok, bought the sony KF42WE620 just over a month ago and last week I turn it on and the majority of the color was BLUE. Called sony and they say unplug it for 20min and plug it back in. It worked! But just now as I was watching TV the whole picture went... Have sound but no picture. So now again I have it unplugged hoping it will reset. If you buy this tv get the warranty, I know I'll be buying more... Any ideas on what might be wrong with my tv?

Unregistered guest
Future shop has sale on Sony Grand WEGA KF50WE620 50" Digital Widescreen LCD TV.
$2999 with free stand.

What do you think guys? Is it a good deal?

Unregistered guest
Future shop has sale on Sony Grand WEGA KF50WE620 50" Digital Widescreen LCD TV.
$2999 with free stand.

Unregistered guest
$2999 with free stand.

Unregistered guest
$2999 with free stand.

guest100
Unregistered guest
Very Good Deal
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us