Archive through October 20, 2004

Username: Denis54

Post Number: 2
Smarter, would you mind sharing which Future Shop you went to and the name of your salesman?

I might cancel my order and order from your guy.

Username: Leaffan

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 5
Denis - for what it is worth, Steve at the Future Shop at Warden/ Eglinton is very knowledgeable. Bring in your receipt and he will beat it for sure.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Backup Power Systems vs Glamorous Power Bars.

Before you shell out $250.00 for one of those monster light flashing glitzy power bars, check out what you can get for $150.00 in a solid PC UPS.

If you live in an area of dirty power - a good PC UPS will not only condition the power, handle surges and give you extra time to orderly shut down your entire Theatre system in a brownout, but it will also have AVR -Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) - to automatically maintain power levels during sags (something that happens very frequently in rural areas).

I bought mine from Future Shop for $150 Cdn. and I use it for all my Home Theatre components (don't bother hooking it up to a PC and using their software)

Its the Shiznit!

http://apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1000

Username: Bantamcc

Post Number: 8
To Missisauga/Blue Jazz and Leaf fan,

Gee it's almost worth driving down to Montreal and getting the KF42WE610 for $2800 at Centre Hi-Fi. I know it's not 50" but I'm very satisfied with mine although I regret listening to my wife as I liked the TV so much that I wanted to trade in for 50" but she said our family room was'nt big enuf. 'Woulda just cost me 400$ more back in April.

I agree with Schlepp. The TechCraft stand is much more user friendly (I have one) and your TV is higher up not to mention the 3 levels for all yor receivers/DVD's etc. Sony does'nt know how to make stands.

Nobody worry about getting the KF50WE610 instead of the KF50WE620. I have the KF42WE610 and was worried last week as I started asking around about the enhancements of the 620 over the 610. No big deal. Only things are the longer lasting lamp, memory stick slot removed (which I rarely use) and the silver contour.

If you get the KF50WE610 series that has the bulb issue fixed (like mine) it's a beautiful TV. In fact I like the dark contour compared to the all silver frame of the 620. I'm lucky I got the 610 for $3300 back in April. Best price for the 620 in Montreal right now is anywhere between $3300 and $3500 with the Sony stand thrown in during promotions. Don't forget this is for the 42". Add approx. 500$ for the 50".

There's still a few 610's banging around and they'll go for anywhere between $2800 and $3300. If they throw in the Sony stand, sell it on Ebay and try and get the TechCraft for 250 or 300 $

You won't regret keeping the Sony, trust me. As mentioned, I have the 610 since April. No bulb problems so far. Just wish I had'nt listened to my wife ! Grrrrrr...

BTW-Future shop could'nt match $3300 last April. I think we have more competition here in Montreal so we can deal a little more.

ps: If you guys are family theatre experts, come over to https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/92825.html . Just bought a SONY HT-DDW760 and somewhat satisfied but have a few questions. See http://tinyurl.com/4r3xa .

See y'all...

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 6
Hey Bantamcc, great post.

It's good to finally hear someone (other than a salesperson) say not to worry about 610 vs 620.

I guess the wind was just taken out of my sails with all of the waiting and shipping nonsense. The one positive is that after all of the credits and rebates I think I came out much farther ahead, and I know what to watch out for as a result of discovering this forum.

I guess what sits in the back of my head with regards to the stand is that I keep hearing "you're paying for the name" (reference to Sony), yet in this case I am not - the stand is packaged in for free and it's not even a Sony. Oh well, you've convinced me that I can live with the Techcraft.

I'm finally pumped again to get my TV tomorrow... but a little skeptical.

Speaking of Ebay, anywhere I can get a good deal on some Component cables? Can anyone else testify like Schlepp that a PC UPS is just as good as the high end power bars?

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Leaf Fan ... re UPS

I've had PC's since the 80's and live in a rural area with dirty power (frequent sags in voltage and a couple of brownouts per year) - I have blown the Ram out of one PC several times years ago, due to voltage sags, prior to installing voltage regulators.

If you live in a city and have rock steady power, a minimal line conditioner and surge protector should be enough.

If you live in the boonies and/or your power ever fluctuates, then UPS (and here's the important bit) with AVR/automatic voltage regulation, is the best way to go.

Any UPS Battery Backup is best set back a couple of feet from your Theatre AMP, speakers and other components, as they arene't shielded very well, and will raise background noise levels if set too close.

Dig a little and you'll find I'm not the only one suggesting this route over the high priced, flashing light, psychadelic looking surge protectors.

- Here's one thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=1e72d0295f92524c0eb050f8065c5d1d &threadid=443042&highlight=surge

Bu the way, the Monster stuff also offers a backup UPS with AVR - the funny part is it costs 3 times as much as good PC Backup UPS/AVR - but then the PC stuff doesn't have all those pretty flashing lights ;) ;)

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 7
It's here!

Finally, everything arrived yesterday!

The 610 was manufactured in April 2004, and who knows why but they actually did deliver a Sony stand, and not the Techcraft. Against popular opinion my wife and I love the stand, the TV snaps onto it and there is a safety strap... the shelves are also shatter resistant, all very good safety features when you have 2 little monsters running around. I will agree though that it could be a little taller, oh well.

The only bad news is that all Schlepp's posts have me too paranoid to turn it on! :-) Actually I bought a low-end Monster Home Theater PowerCenter off eBay for 35US delivered, but I doubt I can wait for it to arrive before testing this baby. Wow, does it ever look bigger once you get it home!

I also have to of these cameras (brand new) that were included in my deal if anyone is interested, best offer takes them.

http://www.avs.ca/detail.php?b=18&c=306&p=948

cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Leaf Fan,

Turn it on ! Turn it on awready ! I think you got the 50" right ?

As I mentioned I'm still pissed at my wife for complaining about the 50" being too big. Still happy with my 42" 'tho. Watched Hildago last night with my new Sony home theatre ! Awesome ! Little bit of advice. Keep your brightness at about half way. Best screen is a little darker. You have 3 video profiles you can set. Vivid/standard and pro. Set up as you wish but I like my screen a little darker.

The 610 is gorgeous with the black contour and don't worry 'bout bulb issue as yours was recently manufactured.

BTW- A guy here at the office would like to start with an entry level digital camera. Has offered you $50 for the camera. Get back to me before selling to someone else.

Also, 'lemme know if you have any other questions about the TV.

Enjoy !

Toronto, ON Canada

yeah, it is the 50", and yeah it is georgous... who needs to watch movies, we just stared at the blank screen for 15 minutes last night.

next step is to upgrade this home theater in a box (DAVBC250) that came with my deal. A coworker told me the Frequency Response range is not wide enough on this model... recommendations welcome, I'd like to stick with some sort of Sony-in-a-box to match the tv.

p.s. I sent you a message re: the camera.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Hey Leaf Fan - glad to hear it arrived in all its glory .... the 50" is great isn't it!!! I too think the Black bevel would be a nicer look (I've got the silver 620).

TURN it on! If you are in the city, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If in the Country and/or you are on a Well with your own pump or have other big power sucking machinery running intermittently on your house electrical system, then get the UPS with AVR. It all depends on your power!

I don't know too much about the Sony-In-A-Box stuff, but if you decide to spring for individual components (Like a sweet Velodyne 10" Sub-woofer and 5.1 AMP etc), you certainly won't be dissappointed :-)

Happy viewing!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Leaf Fan,

Just picked up the Sony HTDDW760 last Friday at Future Shop. Read about it on SonyStyle @ http://tinyurl.com/4r3xa Got it for $399 and not sure if $50 rebate is still on.

It's an entry level system but still sounds great ! Will sound even better once I get proper cabling.

Added bonus is that the HTDDW760 remote will handle all your Grand Wega TV functions too except for main menu and vivid/standard and pro picture options. So no need to be handling 2 remotes.

K, will forward your email to my buddy 'bout camera.

;-)

Yveric
Unregistered guest
Received my 50" last monday. Terrific isn't enough to describe! :-) DVD image is crisp and clear when using component cables (XBox too).

Very impressive.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
... if you want the next step up from HTiB (Home Theatre in a Box), check these out (if you can, you won't regret spending the extra dough) - the difference is like night and day:

Polk
http://www.athenaspeakers.com/create.htm

JBL
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=678&page_nu mber=2&preview=

HSu
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=678&page_nu mber=3&preview=

Energy Act6
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=678&page_nu mber=4&preview=

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 9
Well I mustered the courage to power on my tv last night, and everything seems to work like a charm.

I connected using composite cables from a very basic dvd player, but like Yveric I want component cables, I just haven't picked any up yet.

One thing that was very apparent was that there is truth to the rumours that lcd projection does not display blacks very well. There may be some tweaking to improve it, because I certainly didn't notice it as much in the store... and perhaps the component cables will improve this as well.

Overall I'm a very happy camper. Thanks for the links Schlepp, I am going to go receiver and speakers afterall, but I'll have to use my credit when I return my HTiB which will probably mean using it to get a set of Sony speakers.

The sound from the TV itself is underrated, which means I can shop around a little more.

mississauga
Unregistered guest
ok folks, need advice.

I bought the 42'' about ten days back. The delivery is still 3/4 weeks away. My current Sony has konked out and I need a TV. Kids and Wife are on my back.

How can I get out of the deal so I can just go and pick up the TV at some other store. The invoice says no returns, no exchange, all sales final :-(

Also everyone seems to be buying the 50''. I am wondering if I made a mistake by purchasing the 42''.

Restless in Mississauga

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"How can I get out of the deal so I can just go and pick up the TV at some other store. The invoice says no returns, no exchange, all sales final "

Did you pay in cash or by personal check? If not then no problem, also the transaction is not complete until they deliver the TV. I suspect no matter what they might say at the store that there is not yet a legally binding contract.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
To Mississauga,

That's a bunch of crock ! I bought mine here in Montreal and they have a 30 day return policy. In fact I almost returned it for a 50" but my wife convinced me not to due to room constraints.

Unless you bought yours in a back woods merchant store, I can't believe they won't void deal. Where did you buy it ? Did you get the KF42WE610 or the KF42WE620 ?

Anyway there's a store here in Montreal Centre Hi-FI close to where I work. They have a KF42WE610 for sale @ $2800. It's gorgeous as I have one. Call them. Maybe you can arrange delivery if you can back out of your present deal.

Centre Hi-Fi Electronique Update Listing
Tel: 514-288-4849
625 Rue Sainte-Catherine O
Montreal, QC H3B 1B7
Category: Audio - Video
Area: Montreal

Don't worry 'bout you getting the 42" instead of the 50". Just as nice and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Good Luck..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
To Mississauga,

Just saw TV again today at Centre HiFi. It's now $2700.

;-)

Username: Hsn

Post Number: 1
Just received my KF50WE620 this past Monday from Best Buy. Brilliant Television, got a DVD player with a DVI output (LG) which upconverts to 720P and 1080i and plugged that into the DVI in on the TV. Amazing, crystal clear image..I love this TV.

I got it at Best Buy for $3598 CDN including the Sony Stand and including a 5 year extended warrenty. This is from the Best Buy in Ajax.

The only thing that bothers me and I didn't now at the time of purchase was the lack of the Memory Stick.

I also noticed on the Sony US site a 50" Grand Wega (KDF-50WE655) that looks exactly like the KF50WE620 but I think the KDF-50WE655 has a higher wattage bulb (120W) compared to the 100W in the model sold in Canada. Is this new model coming to Canada soon, and does anyone know other differences between the KF50WE620 and the KDF-50WE655? Is it work returing the KF50WE620 and getting this KDF-50WE655?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Harj,

Goto Sony Style Canada @ http://tinyurl.com/6w2w4 Then goto Sony Style USA @ http://tinyurl.com/467de You'll notice the TV's are the same but model names are different. The KDF-50WE655 is basically the KF50WE620 . No memory stick in the Canadian model but they left it in the USA model. Go figure. Sony works in mysterious ways. I'm not sure you'de be able to get a USA model and probably would end up paying more.

If you had purchased the KF50WE610 4-5 months ago you would have gotten the memory stick as the KF50WE610,KF42WE610 and KF60WE610 here in Canada all have the stick slots. Don't be fooled by the memory stick slot. You need Sony equipment which uses their proprietary memory media. Only that stick fits in the Wega TV's. I have the KF42WE610 and luckily I have a Sony handicam so my memory stick works but because my Sony DVR535 is'nt even a 1 megapixel, I rarely take picts. with it. I use my Toshiba 3.2 meg. camera and that memory stick DOES NOT FIT INTO MY WEGA !

Ask around. If your hell bent on the memory stick, I'm sure there's still a few KF50WE610's banging around out there. Make sure you get a unit manufactured after February 2004 as you will have bypassed the bulb problem issue. Not so sure you'll have an easy time returning your KF50WE620 though. See Mississauga's thread above.

Good Luck !

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
ya ... it annoyed me that the KF50WE620 Sony didn't come with the a memory reader while the Panasonic (which had poorer picture quality) came with not only a Memory reader for **ALL memory formats**, not just the proprietary sony memory, but also has HDMI, and VGA inputs like the Samsung DLP's have.

I don't have any Sony gear so the Sony Memory reader was a non-issue to me. If the Panasonic had the same PQ as the Sony, I would have bought it on features alone - it has a nicer looking stand setup and the Input features far surpass the Wega (the Hitachi LCD-RP, which had a comparable picture to the Sony, also had the generic memory card reader in the 50" model, but it was too wide on its stand to fit in my spot).

While the Sony's lack of VGA and generic memory card reader inputs suck, if you have a Notebook PC, you can workaround its weak input options by getting a VGA to DVI converter, and look at your pics on the Wega via your notebook. Or if you have a MAC with a DVI out, you should be able to go directly into the Wega DVI in.

I hate to reward Sony when they try to force-consumers-into-a-box with their exclusive only memory format, but IMHO, the better PQ made the Wega the better LCD-RP visual choice.

Username: Bluejazz

Toronto, Ont Canada

Post Number: 6
What KDF-50WE655 has compare to Canadian version of KF50WE620 beside Memory slot :

KDF-50WE655 and its predecessor is the addition of a CableCard slot--making the set digital-cable ready--and a built-in HDTV tuner. This year's model also includes an HDMI interface for connection to so-equipped HDTV tuners and DVD players

Why Can't we have that?

So i Called to Sony Canada :-)

They say we gonna have same version soon as late October ...well let's see

omarko
Unregistered guest
Hi people, I am a first-timer with this forum thing....I purchased the 50WE620 from Sears during the free-stand period and currently awaiting for the Oct 23/04 arrival (...yes another freakin' month away!)

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of the HDMI input as both DVI and HDMI inputs are being placed into such units to prevent High-Def. programs from being pirated in the future. Whereas you can, when using component video cables- this is info. staight from the Sony Store.

I purchased my RCA component video cables from the Home Depot for $30 (when I purchased my Yamaha receiver on Boxing Day) and it did improve the picture on our 3 year old Sony 27" flat screen. I noticed that Monster component video cables are expensive (least expensive ~$60) depending on the type you buy....anyone know if it worth it?

Furthermore, because the TV has not been delivered yet, it is not too late for me to cancel the order. From the research that I have been doing, the Hitachi -VS series is basically the number one LCD TV out there picture quality-wise ($4999) followed by the Sony WE620 series (if there's no screw-ups), and then the Hitachi -V series. One problem I have encountered during my research is Sony's brutal customer service...When looking at the 620 specs on futureshop.ca and comparing to the specs on sonystyle.ca (or sony.ca), futureshop says the tv has no Comb Filter and no First Surface Mirror. The sony site says it does. I have e-mailed sony three times so far (on other general questions..) and everytime they e-mail back saying to call thier 1-800 number. And when I call all they do is have some 'teenager' look up the info on the web site and just repeat what is says there.
I believe the tv has 1386 x 786 lines resolution- also not on either web sites.

As far as warranty, I did not purchase. Consumer Reports says sony has less than 13% failure rate and sony store says 5% (whatever). E.W. is over $500 for five years. My mentality is that the 500 bucks will go towards my first service call whether its 3years from now, or 8years from now when the warranty is expired. The best E.W. I have seen is at Thomas Audio Video in Welland, Ontario (Niagara Region) where you shell out $429 for 5 years and if you don't use it, then you get a CREDIT for that amount from their store- now that's what I would call a true warranty!!

please forward more of your comments on the 620 picture quality or other nuissances, etc. sorry for the length...

Concerned from Hamilton area,
Mark

Post Number: 3
What is the purpose of a CableCard slot? Do you just get a card from your cable company instead of sepate cable box? Is this technology available in Canada yet?

How good is SD picture quality with the 50WE620?

Alan M
Unregistered guest
Just bought the Sony KF50WE620 and so far, everything I've read about the set sounds positive. However, I didn't spring for the extended warranty. Mistake?

My only complaint is the promises made at the Sony store - 3-7 days for delivery turned into 7-10 days for delivery, turned into 10-14 days for delivery, and now they said maybe next week (21 days?). I'm astounded that I laid down almost 5 grand after taxes and they cannot tell me when my freaking TV will be delivered. Is this common for Sony?

Meanwhile, I was told that the free stand that was an original part of the promotion is no longer available and I'll be getting a different kind of stand with only one shelf inside. Anybody know what the heck I'm being offered here?

Also, I bought the Sony Home Theatre in a Box - I believe it's HT4400 or something like that. Can anyone comment on the system and how good it is?

I've enjoyed reading these threads. Nice to have a TV support group! :-)

Thanks guys,
Alan

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
RE HTiB

Most home theatre in a box is ok .... although most small speaker systems suffer from a hole in the mid range, as the cabinets are so small and not made out of wood for full resonance and depth.
Their Subs are usually pretty low end as well.

Not sure about yours in particular - BUT - if you want the real listening deal - check out some budget component systems as a first step up. They won't break the bank, but will provide a better immersive experience.

See my previous post about 12 up in this same thread. I've listed some links to reviews of various systems.

:-)

Username: Barstow

Hey Harj Nagra,
How did you get such a good price? Right now at Best Buy it's$3999.00 including stand and $400.00 gift card. The warranty is extra $$. Who was the sales rep? I'm thinking of buying the KF50WE620 tomorrow!!

mississauga
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,

Thanx for all your advice on 'how to get out of the deal'. Well, after I posted that message, I checked the Sony online store and after speaking with them found that they can deliver in five days. So, I called back my store and asked why it was taking them so long while the Sony online store is delivering right away. The store guy made the same excuses, and started shuffling paper. After shuffling some more paper, all of a sudden he had three units available from another store. Needless to say, he promised to deliver over the weekend and they did. Boy, I am happy. If I hadn't pestered him, I'd be waiting another month.

Couple of things, I am really happy about,
1) I didn't get free Sony stand, and instead got the matching SW-2 stand. It really goes well with the TV and fits well within our family room. There is no way the monster 60'' stand that Sony was throwing in would have fitted or looked good in our family room.

2) I was wondering whether I should have got the 50''. Now I am very happy that I didn't. It would have been just too big for our space. We didn't want the TV to take up the whole room. Even the 42 looks a bit big but we will get used to it.

Schlepp, I will be looking at your links. I need an inexpensive receiver to hook up my built in speakers. BTW, is there a way to get away from using three different remotes. One for the TV, another for HDTV box and the third for the sound system.

Happy in Mississauga

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Miss,

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I got the 42" and wished I'de gotten the 50" but happy nonetheless.

As mentioned in my previous thread, I got the Sony Home theatre system,HTDDW760. See http://tinyurl.com/4r3xa . That system's remote will allow you to control the HTDDW760 and your grand wega. Of course if your not looking into a home theatre you can always check out the myriad of universal remotes but i find they don't work very well.

Not sure what your SW-2 stand is. Is it made by Techcraft? Techcraft made a series of stands explicitly for the grand wegas. Here's the one I got See http://www.tipsdr.com/vanns0580.html

Enjoy your TV !

;-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Alan M,

You may 'wanna read my previous thread about the Techcraft stands. They're wonderful and match the TV's ! Read Schlepp's thread too about the home theatres. He supplied several links. I'm happy with my HTDDW760 from Sony as I've connected more powerful speakers etc.

I only found 1 system on Sony Style Canada that remotely resembles your HTiB See http://tinyurl.com/42ktl . I can even find a Ht4400 on web to read reviews . I don't think your model name is right.

See ya...

Alan M
Unregistered guest
Bantamcc - yep, that's the one.
As for the stand, not sure what I'm getting, but I had the feeling that it was a Sony stand. I'll ask the guy today.

Also, thanks for the post from Mississauga. These jokers are taking forever to deliver! I'm going to try your strategy.

Cheers, Alan

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 10
For all of you still considering audio upgrades, here is my tale. I went with the Sony-in-a-box to complement my TV (the DAVBC250 for 538$) but listening to all the input on this I never even set it up, I took it back this weekend for store credit.

Listening to Schlepp and others, I wanted to have great sound with my great new TV! The only challenge would be my wife (more than the spending money she is frustrated with my inability to stop and be happy rather than always looking for a better deal).

I decided I would piece together my dream system over time (pffft!). Picked up this amp for CDN 619$ + delivery + taxes.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=166363&navigationPath=32100n32104

I had to force myself to admit that I would not use the features in the 3000ES or better models, so this was a good choice.

Now the speakers. After some research, and talking with salesperson with an A/V Engineering diploma, I was surprised to learn that the popular opinion is that Sony speakers are junk (not the theatre-in-a-box line which can compete with the best of them, but the actual speaker sets). I have Sony everything so this was a hard pill to swallow. I wanted to use my store credit on something so I checked out the Polk Audio / Infinity but they are a little too pricy for me considering I just blew the wad on a TV.

This led me to these guys:
http://www.streemspeakers.com/

This package:
http://www.streemspeakers.com/ht-808.asp

eBay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5718707761

Check out the feedback i½ 100% feedback on over 1500 sales!!

Too good to be true?
Independent Reviews:

http://www.audioreview.com/Home%20Theater%20Speaker%20Systems/Streem/PRD_289946_ 4282crx.aspx#reviews

I know, I know, red flags for most of you, how the heck can you buy speakers without hearing them first. Well I think I am ready to roll the dice with these guys. This speaker deal seems like quality without the price tag, and low risk since they will refund the purchase and Ii½m close enough to drive them back if I doni½t like them. You guys know more about this stuff, but these have all I will ever need, and the frequency range is decent, and 8ohms, yada yada.

The price went up to 649US$, but I talked to the guy and he will send them to me for 499US$. They also have a subwoofer coming out soon to complete the package. Done Deal.

So I have spent way more than I planned, my wife is irrate, but I am very excited to get these setup, and my A/V room should last me a long while.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Just a tip for those of you in Quebec (I noticed quite a few Montreal posters).

I lucked out last night -- walked into Future Shop at 5pm and it was Customer Appreciation night from 5-9pm, picked up some Monster Component cables, monster speaker wire, and speaker brackets, 20$ off each ... within minutes most of the stock was cleared out. I noticed on the flyer it said Quebec and Atlantic provinces have the unadvertised deal tonight. Not all items are discounted but if you ask your sales rep., they will discount almost anything. Call your local FS to see if they have this promotion tonight!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Leaf Fan,

Tks, for heads up on FS appreciation night. Ya, got an email last week 'bout that. Bought 2 monster cables last week for 60$ plus tax. They're going back as the projected 16 ft. one is only 13 ft.

Won bid on Ebay for 12ft. subwoofer one still in box one for 13$ and Coax video one for 10$.

Measure your Monster cables carefully. Maybe I just got a lemon.

BTW- My buddy seems interested in your camera. I think he email'ed you.

;-)

Anonymous

Anyone still getting prices in the 3400 range? Also some sellers have been pushing me away from Sony. I saw a 47" Epson LCD RP today....came with PC input, External CDRW, memory slots for all varieties and builtin photo printer!!! Anyone know about these?

I was the one with the deal from Dumoulin that I passed up, timing just wasn't there yet, but now we are moving into our new place this weekend, the time is approaching to buy...in hindsight I shouldn't have passed up the deal at Dumoulin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Anon,

Epson hmmm...? Not sure if I'de buy a Sony printer but I'm sure it would work for a while.

Anyway I got my Sony KF42WE610 from Dumoulin on St.Catherine St. last April. Best deal around as they undercut everyone by 200$. Got it for $3300.Remember that was last April and before Sony announced their 610 series and prices came down.

If you've been reading my threads I mentioned there's a KF42WE610 on the floor that they want to get rid of at Centre Hi-Fi on St Catherine St. for $2800 which is an excellent buy! Not much diff. between 610 and 620. See previous threads to read up on differences.I'm very happy with mine.

'Lemme know how shopping goes...

;-)

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
THIS SUCKS SONY!!!!

New UNPLEASANT revelation about my new sony KF50WE620

... a big selling feature of any new 50" TV for me was being able to hook up my Notebook and view pictures.

When the Store sales guys told me I could hookup my Notebook PC to this TV via simple VGA to DVI connector, I said, ok great, even though the Sony has 2 less Component inputs than the Panasoni PT-50DL54, and even though the Sony has DVI instead of the newer HDMI, and even though the Sony has NO VGA inputs like the Panny does, and even though the Sony has NO generic Memory card reader like the Panny does, I liked the picture on the Sony better, so I went Sony.

Got it home and have been loving it - but when I went to hookup my Notebook the other day, to view photos, I found it is **much **much trickier than than using a simple VGA from Notebook to DVI connector on the Sony!!! The SONY "DVI is NOT MADE for PC use", so says the Manual!!!

One work around is to go VGA to Component, but you have to get a Transcoder @ $180 US, then you have to use one of your Component inputs (as the Sony only has 2 Components, one for existing DVD player and one for Notebook and your X-box then has to sit on the shelf or you're swapping cables all the time).

DVI out from a Home Theatre PC to your Sony requires extensive tweaks in the TV's service menu and likely voids your warranty.

THIS SUCKS SONY!!!!

My Grand Wega KF50WE620 has:
1 DVI, 2 Components - NO VGA inputs, NO CARD memory card reader, no HDMI

Panasonic PT-50DL54 has FOUR (4) Component inputs, VGA inputs, HDMI, and a generic memory card reader that reads ALL formats!

IF ONLY, the PT-50DL54 had the same picture quality, I'd get it in a flash!

Any suggestions anyone? DLP's have lots of inputs as well, but they give me eyestrain.

groan!

Username: Zaza

i bought the KF50WE620 at Fillion in Montreal for 3400$ +tx with stand free ,delevered.
Looks great, but had some problem yesterday with a full white screen for every inputs,sound still there.
When i read the manual it says that internal uhf anten could make interferences (i used it for the split screen whit the satellite signal)
i remove the anten 75 ohms and everything is fine since.
Does anyone had the same problem with a white screen ?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 12
Schlepp... oh man, sorry to hear your pain.
Not sure what kind of receiver you have, but what about using the component inputs into it to consolidate (two in, one out) and save at least one component input on the TV (assuming it is equipped with them)?

I saw a neat memory stick to generic card adapter online but it sounds like you need the opposite, wonder if they exist.

I am really getting frustrated by salespeople and the fairy tales. I have heard so many different stories I don't know what to believe anymore. I guess 'put it on your Christmas list' is not comforting at this point in time?

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Thanks Leaf fan ...

I was really loving this TV, but am back to shopping again. The KF50WE620 version doesn't even have the Sony memory stick, so I may return it if I can't find any decent workaround.

My Yamaha receiver has loads of composite inputs, but I'd still need the transcoder sitting somewhere between the PC and the Receiver or TV - not quite sure how that would work. Having to use a Transcoder just to plug in the PC seems messy.

Unlike the very flexible 'multimedia' Panasonic PT-50DL54, the Sony Wega LCD-rp definitely isn't setup for anyone wanting to use a PC with it.

I'm going to go back in the stores and look at Panny again. Too bad really, cause this sony seems to be a good one - nice screen - no pixel problems - great picture!

I'll let you know how it works out. cheers

Anonymous

Does anybody know what, if any, is the equivalent model to a KF50WE620 or KF42WE620 in Europe (The Netherlands)?

I called Sony Netherlands, but they can only provide information about models sold here. The staff is not authorized to find information about products sold elsewhere.

Username: Gus

Hey Schlepp
Have you considered a seperate viewer for your memory cards? Have a look at this http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=2&WLBS=fsw eb22&sku_id=0665000FS10028792&catid=11438
Just a thought
Later
Gus

kasm
Unregistered guest
Here is a thread on another forum that announces the WF and XS Models are coming to Canada. Has memory stick slot, built in ATSC Tuner, and Cable card slot. Though, not sure how usefule the cablecard slot is because I don't thing Rogers has plans to support it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=451719

-Kasm

Alan M
Unregistered guest
Dang - my Sony salesguy told me that the KF50WE620 came with HDMI - but it looks like it might only be on the 655 models. Anybody know this for sure? And does it make much of a difference?

Cheers, Alan

Ice
Unregistered guest
Got myself a deal with a fella at Futureshop here in Ottawa - $3485.00 for a Sony Wega KF42we610 (manufactured June 2004).
Included in the price:
Taxes
1 (sony) + 3 (futureshop) warranty - bulb repl incl)
monster cables
stand
2 free dvd movies
T.V 's been really great - Can't go wrong with Sony...as for the bulb problem - that's why you buy the warranty. If no one believes me, I can email you a copy of my receipt.

Unregistered guest
Can you email me the receipt ice as i can looking for that deal at manoj_rastogi@hotmail.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Ice,

Guess you haven't read all the previous posts 'cause you can get that TV in Montreal now for $2700. Got same one for $3300 last April prior to new models coming out and price drop from Sony.

Ya, mine had new bulb too.
You got a good deal although it is the 610 but as far as I'm concerned it's prettier than the 620. The 620 lamp is somewhat brighter though than 610 according to Sony.

happy viewing...

Post Number: 4
ib or Zaza. I just saw your post where you say you got the 50WE620 + stand for $3400 from Filion. Could you tell me the name of your salesman?

I assume you got the Tech-Craft stand. Am I right?

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Re Sandisk SDV1-A USB Digital Photo Viewer

Hey Gus .... thanks for the idea - any ideas on its inputs - I'm guessing its Svideo and composite but there's not much on the Future Shop site. Wonder how clear it looks on a 50" Sony Screen?

I'm going to check it out.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Kasm - thanks for the link to WF and XS Models.

Wonder if the memory slot is generic or Sony only - they're not saying in the press release! I may have look at these prior to settling on this input lacking 50WE620.

as an aside, I just went back to the store and got a side by side comparison with the old model Panny 50LC13 (which has loads of inputs), and my model the Sony 50WE620 - watched for about an hour and tweaked all setting on both sets - the Sony is definitely slightly brighter and wee bit more detailed. Bulb differences may account for this.

Salesman says my 50WE620 model I was viewing has a newer bulb than the older Sony 50WE610 model and is about 10% brighter than the 50WE610.

Next thing to check is whether or not the new, soon to be arriving Panny 50LC1*4* has the same upgraded bulb as the current Sony 50WE620 has.

Side by side, the Sony currently wins by 10% better picture - lets see after the 50LC14 new model arrives.

So many choices, so little time - lol

Unregistered guest
Thos who want a good deal on Sony LCd rear projection at Quebec-city,Come see me a Future SHOP, Place Fleur de lys, Dept Video.

Hey Schlepp
Wish I could give you more info, but I really don't know anything about that product. I just thought it may help you out. Another option would be, if you are using a desktop computer you could get a cheap video card with TV out. I have them in a few computers hanging around here and they work well. You could display your pictures right from your computer to your TV. I used to have a Toshiba laptop with a TV out and that worked out really well because you could plug the laptop right into one of the inputs on the front of the TV. Hope this gives you a few more options.

Later
Gus

Post Number: 3
Well I finally bit the bullet last night. I went into future shop in Dartmouth Nova Scotia and started to wheel and deal. I ended up walking out with:
the KF50WE620 for $3599.00
Sony stand for $0.01
and a $400 gift card and 36 months to pay for it. I did opt for the 4 year warranty because of some of the info I read hear I figured it was worth while. Besides, I would freak out if the TV blew up after 2 years and I was still making payments for it.
One correction, I didn't actually walk out with the TV, it is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I can hardly wait!! I think I will make it, I still have my 5 year old 48" sony to watch untill the new bundel of joy arrives.

Username: Zaza

Hi Denis 54,
the name of the saleman at Fillion is Bert Pelletier
and i got the stand free, but the promotion,from Sony ended in mid september

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Gus,

Tks, for idea 'bout Svideo out of my NVIDIA graphic card on my laptop to 42WE610 . I'll give it a shot this w/e.

;-)

Anonymous

to Frederic D. G., what is your offer for a KF50WE620, could be as Gus Smith in Nova Scotia?
very appreciate with your answer.

I bought a 50WE620 (with free stand) on September 15 and was supposed to get delivery last Thursday. I went to my SONY Store today and they just could not tell me when they will receive more units.

Anybody knows when Sony will get some more 50WE620?

Anonymous

I am going to receive a kf50we620 tommorrow from brault&martineau in Montreal.It was ordered on the 7th sept.with the free stand which is on back order till oct.5.

TV Shopper
Unregistered guest
Hello Guys,

If you have not purchased 50WE620 yet, Sony is releasing newer model KDF-55WF655 this month in Canada. This has been already available in US for a while. This 655 is available only in 55" and 60" so if you want 42 or 50 inches then you will have to take 620 which is available in Canada and not in US.

655 has few extra things compare to 620 i.e memory stick slot, cable card slot, HDMI input etc. MSRP for 55" 655 model is CAD 5,199 against MSRP of CAD 3,999 for 620. Dealers will definitely reduce the price. You can get more details on 655 from Sony's US and Canadian sites. I also hoping that Sony will give away something free along with these new TVs since Christmas is round the corner. I am strting part time job with Best Buy soon so I will wait until then to find out what kind of employee discount I am getting for this 655 model. Best Buy as I understand normally charge 10% over their cost to employees.

Waiting for your comments and feedback.

Thanks and Happy Shopping.

Strati
Unregistered guest
TV Shopper,

Let me know if you're in Toronto and which BB you'll be at. You are right about the discount, although it doesn't apply for everything.

Carsen
Unregistered guest
I bought a 50WE620 with free sony stand and a DVD dream system DAVB100 on Sept 11 for 3555 +15% at an electronic store at Richmond Hill, Ontario. It was delivered last night.

EZ
Unregistered guest
New to this forum.
Bought Sony KF42WE620 15 days ago in BestBuy for $4200 Cdn. Included tax, stand and 5 years warranty. Comes with BestBuy 30 days price guaranty so if somebody can email me price proof or tell me where to find better price please let me know.
EZ
sedramic@yahoo.ca

Anonymous

Hi Ez,
I ordered a kf50we620 with a free sony stand before sept.15,2004, from Brault and Martineau in Brossard Quebec.I paid $3495 for the TV and $389 for an a 4 year extended warranty plus tax for a total of$4467.57 plus 3 years to pay no interest.The stand was free and so was delivery.You can contact my salesman Eddie Folgado at 450-619-6777 and tell him about the price.You can give him my name which is Alan and I am sure he will give you a great price.The deal with the free stand finished on Sept.15 but maybe he can help you out.By the way I received the TV on Friday and it is really incredible and am relly enjoying it.The stand is still on backorder and I am expecting it this week.

mississauga
Unregistered guest
Saw in the best buy flyers on the weekend that Sony has slashed the pricing on their 42'' plasma a thousand dollars. Now it is being retailed for $3500. That is their list price on 42'' RP-LCD as well.

I just got my LCD-RP last week. Wondering if I was better off waiting for a week and getting the plasma.

What the heck is Sony upto.

Wondering In Mississauga

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Miss...

Ya, well I'm pissed too !

I paid 3300$ last April for 42" LCD-RP and that was a deal !

If I'de waited 5 months, I 'coulda had the 50" with stand thrown in for 3500$ ! Go figure.

I guess that's technology. The earlier you buy into new technology, the more you pay. Don't really regret it as I love the TV but man oh man where does Sony get off dropping prices like that and pissing off customers who paid higher prices just 5-6 months earlier.We're not even talking new line of technology. Same DAMM TV with a few minor adjustments !

I think to placate early buyers, they should issue gift certificates to buyers like me ! LOL..
fat chance..

;-)

Fashizzle
Unregistered guest
I made a deal with the Sony Store, and here are the details:

$3,600 plus taxes (which comes to $4,104)

We get:

-The 50-inch Sony Wega KF50WE620 television
-Stand
-three year warranty
-power bar (not the kind you eat)
-cleaning stuff
-delivery to our home and hook up
-no payment or interest until April 4/05 (six month deal)

On an aside... I went to A&B at lunch to take a look at their tv's. I didn't even see a 620 (our model, the newest one), they had the 610. No sales guy approached me, so I approached them. No deal was offered. The set was $4,999 and the stand was $799! Delivery was free, but no assembly was included. No extended warranty was included either. We're talking about $2,500 difference, with no service offered, on an older model.

Anonymous

KF50WE620 or WEGA PFM42V1SK 42"(ED not real HD) Plasma TV
which one i should buy? please your opinion, thanks

Username: Bluejazz

Toronto, Ont Canada

Anonymous

if u have a limited space or u gonna hang on the wall

go for plasma

other choice is if u wanna put it on the stand or on the table something then that's gonna take 16"~20" from the wall

then wht's the sense of getting plasma tv?

to me that is the only concern :-)

cause with same amount of money

LCD or DLP Tv get bigger picture and not much to worry about (compare to plasma)

lot of ppl say about life time of plasma

but since it's fourth generation ,they got almost 60.000 life time (u do the math)

my other problem with plasma is burn in and dont ever flip over NEVER (even when u moving . once u fipped ur plasma is gone i mean GONE!)

so if u have a space and enough viewing distance go for LCD or DLP RP TV

hope it helps ur dicision :-)

Anonymous

My problem with WEGA PFM42V1SK 42" is ED, not real HD, maybe in a few years, i will regret it. It worth to by a plasma ED now?

Is lamp replacement covered under the base one year warranty from Sony?

Does the Extended Service Plan include lamp replacement?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Denis,

If your lamp has not lasted a year, there's a serious problem with the unit and Sony should cover it under basic 1 year coverage plan.

Usually your lamp needs replacing after 8000 to 10000 hours or so which is a coupla years. Sony does not cover lamps after that amount of time. Their 300$ now and instructions on how to change them can be found in this document : http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/documents/specifications/KF4 2WE610.pdf

Hopefully price will come down on these lamps in a few years.

Good Luck...

kgatch
Unregistered guest
I'm also considering taking the plunge on this TV. (still find it tough to justify the $) However, the best deal I've found so far is from
Graham Farkas of "Time 4 You" concierge service. [www.time4youconcierge.com]. I've dealt with him before. Very resourceful. Has contacts that can probably get it for you under $3000 + tax and delivery. Also, TheHomeShow (the big store, not the event at Exhibition Place) locations around Toronto have it for about $3100.

topher223
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone,

I bought a 50WE620 from Future Shop (Montreal/Laval) in August. Everything is OK (especially with HD TV). There has been a couple of glitches though. I use the TV timer to wake me up in the morning. But one time the TV failed to turn on. I happened to be sitting in front of the TV when this happened. The red light (Power/Standby) blinked several times but failed to turn on. Then after 30 seconds or so I turned it on with remote.

The other problem is that a couple of times when I turned on the TV the screen had a purplish color. It's like there is a purple-tinted glass in front of the screen. I turned off the TV and turned it on again and the problem is gone.

Has any of you guys experienced the same thing? NOw I have a 5-year warranty but if it is going to turn out a big prblem in future I'd better do something about it now.

Please let me know. Thank you

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Had my 50WE620 for nearly a month ... have never had these problems (YET) -

From what I've gathered, it looks like running any of these newer TV's off a UPS with AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) to prevent fluctuations in power is a good way to help protect the sensitive circuit boards and inner components and secondly, the less you turn it off and on the better it is for the bulb.

.... hold onto that warranty :-)

TV Shopper
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone,

Anyone has any idea about Sony's upcoming plan for Promoation on this 50" LCD Rear projection TV?.

There is nothing on their Canada or USA sites. I am hoping they would come out with something during X-Mas season.

Please post your reply if you have heard anything on this promotion.

Thanks

Anonymous

I think they will be giving a free stand again soon...just a feeling I got from a salesperson recently....

Saul
Unregistered guest
Hi All
Am in Calgary, where I just purchased the KF42WE620 with stand for $2960 from Future shop. 5 yr warranty is $439. No delivery or setup, however.
What was the $400 gift certificate from Future Shop that some of you had elsewhere?

Saul
Unregistered guest
The set is not delivered yet. Questions, though.
- How is it with standard analog signal?
- with 4:3 ratio signal on the widescreen, can you display the picture so it isn't distorted? (black bars on sides to create normal appearance of picture?)
- Is initial setup a pain, or does the picture look good out of the box?
- Has anyone bought or used a calibration disc, or feel you need one?

I have a 50WE620 with digital cable. SD is OK but not great. It is fun to have a much larger picture than I used to have with my 32 XBR but I have to make a significant compromise on picture quality.

Normal Mode allows you to see 4:3 with no distortion and black bars.

I tend to prefer Wide Mode. It fills the screen by cutting 10% of your picture vertically (5% at the top and 5% at the bottom) and by stretching it by 21% horizontally.

I calibrated mine with AVIA. It was easy and it made a significant improvement to picture quality.

Note: I am not 100% sure about my % numbers for Wide Mode.

Saul
Unregistered guest
Thank you, Denis
I have been looking for an Avia disc, only able to find the others. Where did you buy it?
Thanks again for your comments.
Does the wide mode distort the image (everyone looks like they are in the carnival, short and squat)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Saul and Denis54,

Have heard some bad things 'bout analog signal. from a few posts above. My reasoning is would you put chainsaw oil in a Mercedes ?

I have BEV but with non HD signalling. I find PQ very good and use the FULL option for widening the basic 4:3 ratio. Sony does a good job at this and you don't notice it that much. I find wide and wide zoom options take height away.DVD's blow me away as this TV takes full advantage of HD signalling.

Picture looks good outta the box but you'll have to modify your various PQ settings.

This AVIA calibration intrigues me. 'Lemme know where I can pick this software up. No mention from Sony that these sets need calibration.

'Lemme know.

Wide Mode distorts the image horizontally by about 20%.

I never had the chance to do a side by side comparaison, but all salesmen I have talked to in the past have always said that digital cable (Videotron) is about equal in quality to BEV

I bought AVIA on eBay. I have read several articles where "experts" say that calibration improves picture quality. I am certainly not one of those "experts" but picture quality is now nicer than it used to be.

Sony would never say that that one of their set needs calibration.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Saul and Denis54,

Have heard some bad things 'bout analog signal. from a few posts above. My reasoning is would you put chainsaw oil in a Mercedes ?

I have BEV but with non HD signalling. I find PQ very good and use the FULL option for widening the basic 4:3 ratio. Sony does a good job at this and you don't notice it that much. I find wide and wide zoom options take height away.DVD's blow me away as this TV takes full advantage of HD signalling.

Picture looks good outta the box but you'll have to modify your various PQ settings.

This AVIA calibration intrigues me. 'Lemme know where I can pick this software up. No mention from Sony that these sets need calibration.

'Lemme know.

Need to Know
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone,

Anyone has any idea about Sony's upcoming plan for Promoation on this 50" LCD Rear projection TV?.

There is nothing on their Canada or USA sites. I am hoping they would come out with something during X-Mas season.

Please post your reply if you have heard anything on this promotion.

Thanks

Anonymous

I just picked up the KF50WE620 for $3260+Tax, with the free sony stand and delivery included.

Last one left at this particular store(the stand that is).

How is the PQ with BEV. I am planning on getting BEV HDTV asap.

Username: Thunder2004

Please HELP!!! is this link the product that would make sense to purchase instead of having and charging a pro a premium amount...please advise
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1499%26item%3D3846643722% 26%26

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Dan,

Your Ebay link does'nt work. Please re-post...

;-)

Just go to www.ebay.com and in the search enter AVIA disc...then the one only item appears...click on it to view details....questions is does this allow for caliberation just like a professional would do???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Anon,

See my previous posts regarding BEV. PQ is very good with BEV. I have the non HD 2700 BEV receiver but everything is great. Especially movies. Presumably they'll try to sell you the newer HDTV with DOLBY audio receiver. I think it's the 3100 or the 3000 models. Much more $$$$. I'de stick with the lower end 2700 for now 'till there is more HDTV programming. Also, these HDTV receivers will come down considerably in price in a year or two.

'Lemme know hoe it goes !

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Dan,

K, Tks. Reluctant tho to spend close to 50$ to find out my TV and home theatre are close to running optimaly.

If anyone has copy of AVIA, I pay shipping and price of CD's for a copy.

Tks...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
To need to know,

Not sure if your guys that asked same question a few weeks back. I asked for specific model numbers but never got a reply back.

See these links and lemme know if these are models you had in mind.

http://tinyurl.com/4sh2v

and

http://tinyurl.com/5dyds

Not aware of any newer models of 50" LCD's from Sony save the latest which is the KF50WE620 .

'Lemme know...

Bronze Member

Bantamcc
I agree with you about spending the cash but apprarently a pro will charge hundreds of dollars to calribrate....i wonder if this dvd will actually help any or if it is just a gimmick....does anyone who has it give us some more info on how effective it really is....specifically regarding the video aspect of tuning the sony 50inch rear projection tv...

Anonymous

Bantam...I currently have 2 2700 receivers. Was planning on getting the new HD receiver for the sony when it arrives, but I might hold off for awhile...

Anyway to receive OTA HD programming in the Montreal area(just north in Laval)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Dan,

My TV was courgeous right out of box. Outside of regular tinkering with standard menu options, not sure what that AVIA package could have you do.

Your not going to start adjusting the LCD internal panels ? Ughhhh !

;-)

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
SONY UNVEILS NEXT-GENERATION GRAND WEGA

Grand WEGA KDF-55WF655 and KDF-60WF655 models will be available in October at manufacturers suggested retail prices of $5,199.99 and $5,799.99, respectively. (Ouch! - watch for nice Xmas deals on the current/old models)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=451719

Bruha
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the Sony KF50WE620, stand, 5 year warranty (if not used refunded after 5 years), Pioneer DVD Burner/Hard drive, and GST for $4200. Go to Visions in E-town

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 14
that's a good deal Bruha... good work.

I want to return my KF50WE610 and get the new KDF-55WF655 but i am out of luck... officially i only had 7 days to do it and unofficially i'm sure my vendor has heard enough out of me. SO foolish.. the tv I desperately HAD to have now sits unused in my basement because I'm not entirely happy with this purchase... shoulda/woulda/coulda.... and the price will no doubtedly come down.. killin' me.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
hey leaf fan ....
...is your 610 not working? Why is it in the basement?

I have buyers remorse as well with my 620 (no vga computer inputs), but I wouldn't be too unhappy, those new ones will be very pricey for at least the next 6 months!

I'm not about to cough up an extra $1500++ over what I paid for my 620 just for HDMI (rather have DVI anyway) and the tuner (don't need it) and Sony Card slot (I have a Nikon Digital camera - not a sony).

Buying just one step behind the curve is smart in the long run for the money you save. There's always going to be a newer model to annoy theHell out of you right after you purchase something - it's planned obsolesence!

The 610 is just as good a picture - its got the same resolution as these brand new models and I think it looks better than my 620.

As long as the bulb issue is fixed on your 610, you've done just fine!

Have a happy!

Username: Ernesto52

Hi all,
About to get my first HDTV big screen. Need to stay around $2K. Have only outdoor anten. (in attic)with moderate recep. Questions. Which RSP TV in 50" or more?
Will "regular" broadcasts look poor on the new set?
Will HDTV recep be there with mod. recep.?
Thankee

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Schlepp,

You took words right outta my mouth in response to Leaf Fan.

Me too wondering why your TV is still in box, Leaf Fan.

I have KF42WE610 but not regretting purchase one bit 'tho I'de sure like a 50". Only regret is that I did'nt get 50".

Yours still in box you say ? I still have box for mine and is working like a charm. Maybe we can swap or I can sell my 42" and buy your 50" ! Of course we'de both take a wash selling them but maybe worth a look.

What say you ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us