My first home theater - help

Username: Marica

Post Number: 1
Me and my bf are trying to put together a home theater in a room 6 x 4 m (about 20 x 14 feet). We are prepared to spend about $1600. Until now we've come up with a combinationa of:

Infinity Primus Theater Pack
Yamaha RX-V550 Receiver
Yamaha DVD-S550 Player

We'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, any info actually!!!

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1281
That should be a nice starter. Have you tried the HK for a receiver?

Post Number: 3
Which HK ... AVR 130?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 615
I would not pair a low level Yamaha with Infinity. Check out the lower H/K and Marantz units. Much better match.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1283
Go with the HK 230.

Silver Member

Post Number: 617
The H/K 230 is a fine choice as would be the Marantz 5400. The 5400 is about to be replaced so ther should be some bargain prices on it soon. Great unit for the money. Could not go wrong with either and much better at this price point than the Yamaha.

Post Number: 4
Should we consider also Infinity Beta speakers? Are they worth extra $200 ... to stay rational, and get the most out of planned amount of money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1289
The Betas are an excellent upgrade from Primus. Should go well with the Marantz 5400, if you can find them, they are an excellent intermidiate receiver.

Post Number: 5
Thank you both. You were really helpful.

And what would be your choice in this price range ... apart from what we've consider previously?

Silver Member

Post Number: 619
Monitor Audio Bronze series is worth looking at. Marantz and MA do together perfectly. I have a MA silver system and a pair of Bronze B1's in my kitchen and they are really nice.

Post Number: 7
I've just come from another dealer ... totaly different suggestions:

Pioneer
VSX-D714-S/K reciever
DV - 470S DVD player
S-V610 set of speakers

All together for $1250 ... so $350 cheaper that my "original" combination.

Any suggestions about that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1405
You really must stay away from the Pioneer speakers.

johnm
Unregistered guest
Agree with Berny, Pioneer makes a budget concious speaker. Not known for it's quality by any standards.
I'd stay away from speakers made by companies known for their components i.e. Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony.

Post Number: 8
Any infos about Athena Micra 6. We could get the set for about $650. Seem the combination with HK 230 reasonable?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1431
Anice little system, you can get it at Best Buy for $475. I believe they have a sale going on.

Post Number: 9
What does the marking 5.1/7.1 with HK AVR 230 stands for? I mean every other recievers has just 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1, but with HK I've noticed marking 5.1/7.1.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1449
That just means it is capable of supporting either a 5.1 speaker set-up of a 7.1 speakers set-up.

Post Number: 10
One of the dealer's "smart" advices was also, that 5.1 speakers aren't good for 6.1 or 7.1 reciever, because one of the part of the amplifier doesn't heat and this is like bad for the whole reciever ... is this true? Should I look only for 5.1 reciever if I'm going for 5.1 speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1465
That is the most ridiculous things I have heard! Does that even make sense to anybody?
Anyway, you can configure the receiver to work as a 5.1 or 7.1 and it will not even put out any signals to any extra speaker output if it is configured properly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I know you've said to stay away from Yamaha speakers ... but anyway ... maybe an opinion about NS-P430 5.1 package.

Username: Bantamcc

All you home theatre buffs,

Looking to setup a home theatre as I have a new Sony KVF42WE610 LCD rear projection TV.

I've been using my 20 year old 45 watt per channel Pioneer stereo (4 channels) amp for my audio with 4 big powerful Technics speakers. I think they are 45 watts throughput. Sure blasts nicely for my DVD concerts.

I have an entry level satellite receiver yet so most of my channels (movies etc.) are stereo and not HD yet.

Questions are:

-Will I perceive any sound quality improvements with a home theatre when playing my concert DVD's through my home theatre and smaller speakers that come with the home theater? Most of my DVD's are Stereo anyway.

-Will I notice big improvement when playing DVD movies and satellite TV shows? My satellite receiver is stereo and non dolby so what's advantage there although I've heard some home theatres split sound.

-Is this home theatre business strictly for both concerts and movie DVD's that have DTS and Dolby surround sound ? Other inputs on TV ie. Satellite channels,VHS don't take advantage of home theatres?

-Will I get more powerful throughput by swapping out smaller home theatre speakers with my Technics if I do buy a home theatre ?

I know a million questions, but your help sure appreciated.

;-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 62
Having a little knowledge of home theater stuff, I can attempt to answer some questions. I hope I provide you with something to go on, at least!
If your concert dvds are in stereo only, your current system would be as good, or better, than a new home theater system. Any improvements (in opinion only) a hts would offer would be in the surround sound simulation, such as Dolby ProLogic II, etc., where the two stereo channels will also be carried to the rear left/right speakers.

I think the primary purpose for ht systems is to please its audience by decoding DD and DTS- encoded dvds, and sending the audio to 5 separate channels of sound. Again, any non-digital audio sources can be processed as stereo- only or surround simulated for a cool effect.

I'm not certain about whether or not your Technics will be more powerful than the small speakers included with the system; I know they will sound better, fuller, etc., but I guess it really depends on what the receiver/decoder is putting out (in wattage) to each channel.

Don't know if this info may help, but if it does, please be sure to post more questions.

Post Number: 7
Jacob,

Tks for info. Very informative and more or less comfirms what I was thinking all along.

;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1490
Marica,
Have you listened to this unit? I could bash this unit all I want and if YOU like the sound, then you will be the one enjoying them, which is of course the whole point:-)
Try them out!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I know, I know Berny, but I've been listening to sooo many speakers in the last 14 days, that all became kindda blurred .... I need a second opinion. And also, home theater and even HiFi is new to me ... as a consequence, I've liked the sound of almost every "real" speakers I've been listening to.

Post Number: 9
Hi Y'all,

Just bought a HT-DDW760 see http://tinyurl.com/4r3xa .

A few questions :

-Although I've adjusted the surround sound speakers (2) output, I've noticed that they are still somehow have less presence (volume wise ) than the center or right/left speakers. This is of course when listening to a regular 2 channel satellite signal thru. the Dolby ProLogic II encoding. When lsitening to DVD they are much louder. Is this normal?

-I bought a coax cable for 30$ which conects my DVD to the coax input of the Sony tuner. Sony does supply a smaller coax cable. Was I had by the sales guy ? Is there a big difference in these cables and will I notice it ? How does the tuner split the coax signal into different layers and is it better using the coax connection than the 2 channel RCA jacks from my DVD and let the tuner use it's Dolby ProLogic II to split the signal? Presumably this ProLogic business just simulates surround sound if your starting with a 2 channel signal.

Any ideas ?

Tks. for your time on this.

ps: I'm also using my biger more powerful speakers from my intial stereo system. Is this a good idea? I've also placed them per diagrams in Sony book.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
You may be able to find a digital coax cable for cheaper (let me know if you can't); I can't detect much of a difference between optical and coax. It's better to use a digital cable than standard RCA for surround applications (dvd movies, concerts, etc.). 2 channel sources (a music cd) can utilize the prologic II, but the stereo audio will still be carried proficiently through the optical or coax cable.

My system is similar; the rear channels are less present than the front, but I think this is normal.

The speakers should be fine, and they probably sound better, more 'full', than the speakers that came with the system! Depending on the receiver's output to each channel (watts), they may not be louder, but they should sound better.

Post Number: 10
Jacob,

Tks for info and again your right on. Listened to few more movies thru Dolby Prologic II and sure enuf, surround sound speakers kick in at certain time during movies.

Glad I chose SONY 'cause my remote handles most functions on TV and all on home theatre receiver functions.

I'm checking these 2 links on Ebay for cables.

For subwoofer :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33205%26item%3D3083103980'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64595%26item%3D5720215166

For coax cable :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32836%26item%3D5720213376

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33205%26item%3D3083103943\

I guess I can use the same type of cable depicted above for my coax connexion ? Also, do you know if distance will affect sound quality on subwoofer ? I'm looking at placing sub-woofer across living room. Not that far but I have to run cable under the floor and we're looking at at least 20-25 feet of cabling.

Lemme know if you know of any cheap $$ but good quality Canadian suplliers. Monster prices are outrageous at Future Shop etc...

Tls for your time on this...

SSchindler
Unregistered guest
My house is prewired for surround sound in the living room (5-1), then has 2 other rooms wired for sound through volume controls that go to the same primary hookup site as the surround sound. Is there a receiver available that I can hookup all the speakers too, or do I need to go through a switch box or amplifier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
SS,

Don't see why you can't double up on your connexions to your main receiver. You'de just be driving double the wattage. Not sure this would place load on your receiver tho. Give it a try.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a receiver that multiplexes your output.

Jacob, has been a very good resource for my previous questions as I'm new to this also. See previous posts above.

I got a Sony HTiB and finally got the speakers aligned for optimum sound experience.

Good Luck...

Username: Forcedinduction

I'd recommend the setup I bought. This is my first HT and I am VERY impressed with the quality of the sound.

Receiver: Denon AVR-484 ($299) ($229)
Mains L/R: Klipsch RF-15 ($299 ea)($250)
Center: Klipsch RC-25 ($280) ($210)
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-25 ($200 ea)($150)
Sub: Klipsch RSW-8 ($329) ($260)
MSRP Cost ($1906)
What I paid at local dealer ($1499)

The only thing I'd suggest might be the RSW-10 if the room isn't enclosed and open to other rooms. I have an enclosed room that is 22' x 15' and the 8 is amazing. Additionally, there is a new Denon receiver the 485; it supports HDTV switching (very handy) and 6.1 vs 5.1 at the same cost. Simply Add $150 for a 6th channel, and $100 for the 10" RSW-10 sub and you'll be set. Granted, this doesn't include cables or a DVD player but it's an excellent system for the money. Klipsch equipment is very nice and the Denon receiver compliments it perfectly. E-mail me if you need some help.

B

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
SSchindler: out of curiosity, I may have found an article that may be helpful for you:

http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/askus/displayaskus.asp?questionid=20&List=2

It discusses using additional speakers for other rooms in the house, etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us