Archive through September 19, 2004

Username: Pixel

Post Number: 1
I'm in the market for a new TV and have been looking and rear projection LCD's for a while. What surprised me recently while browsing the sonystyle website is that they came up with a new model replacing the KF42WE610 and KF50WE610. It's now a KF42WE620 and KF50WE620. Does anyone know if this is the answer to the bulb failure that a lot of people experienced? Anyone knows if any new features have been added? I was also comparing with the Hitachi 50V500 and it seems that Hitachi has a more complete package (color temperature adjustment, day/night settings, slighly better picture). I wonder if this new model is better now before I make the plunge. Here's the link to the new product: http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/CategoryDisplays?storeId=10001&langId=- 1&catalogId=10001&categoryId=45260&navigationPath=32050

I'm in Canada btw, so I don't know if this model is also available in US.

email77
Unregistered guest
Hi
Me too,looking at Sony KF50WE620, have it ordered before I read all these problems. I just wish Sony had fixed all the KF50WE610 problems before the KF50WE620 come out. Got a good deal in Edmonton from a friend. $3,300 with Free stand.

Empty Nest Dad
Unregistered guest
My local sales guy in Ontario said that the 610 bulb problem was with one line of circuits which Sony cleared up later in the 610 line. He said the 620 would have absolutely no problem. He also said it takes PC input, but I downloaded the 620 manual and it says no PC input. Probably to cover themselves. Should we believe sales guys? I thought I had a good deal on the 620 for $3750 (with some negotiating) but I guess people do better in Alberta.

Post Number: 2
I took the plunge and bought it with an additional 2 years of warranty. I should receive it TODAY!! Can't wait! I was able to negotiate and got it for $3550, free stand (Sony promotion). That's in Quebec. So I guess you guys on the west side still did better.. ah well..

ducky
Unregistered guest
In Toronto, Ontario
The sale guy was telling me that Sony also took out the Memory Stick input from 620.
the best quote I got for KF50WE620 (with free stand) was $3475 + 15% tax (7GST + 8PST)-- the price that you guys referring does not include any tax yet ? right ?....

Post Number: 3
Correct, that's excluding greedy Mr. Martin and Mr. Charest... ;o) 3475$ is pretty darn good, go for it!

ducky
Unregistered guest
Thanks Eric... I will go for it.

email77
Unregistered guest
Hi
Just to let you guys know the cost on this KF50WE620 is $3,200. I am glad some one find out the 610 problem had fixed.Thank you all.

Marc_sony_tv
Unregistered guest
Eric, where did you buy it for 3550$? And ducky, where did you get that quote for 3475$? I want to beat the 3700$ they offered me at THE SONY STORE in Ottawa.

Thanks guys

ducky
Unregistered guest
Hey Marc_sony_tv,
The quote I got was from a store called Pacific HiFi TV... it's inside China Mall at Spadina/Queen in Toronto.

Anonymous

All go to www.bid.com the price is $3269.16 with free stand !

Anonymous

I went to www.bid.com and there are no signs of the KF50WE620. Could someone tell me where I can find a good deal in Montreal.

Post Number: 4
Hey Marc_Sony_Tv,

I actually called the SonyStore at Rideau Center and quoted me the $3550 over the phone. Then I went over at Brault&Martineau in Gatineau and they matched the price. The reason I went there is for the 36 months equal payment with no interest. Something that Sony Store doesn't offer...

On another note, I received the TV and I had to call for tech. service already.. The left hand side of the TV shows distortion. It's actually a curve in the image (convergence?)and misaligned at the bottom (image angle drop) Hopefully this is something easy to fix.. We'll see..

Marc_sony_tv
Unregistered guest
Thanks Eric, I'll pay B&M a visit. Thats a good price. Is the financing free there?
Also, let me know what happens with the repairs...lemon perhaps?
Thanks again!

Tomy
Unregistered guest
Is anyone getting delivery/setup for those quoted prices?

Post Number: 5
Nope, no financing fee at all. Make sure you buy a decent power bar and cables too if you don't have them already. It makes a world of a difference in picture/sound quality. B&M holds the Monster power and cables which are pretty good.

Yeah I wish it's not a lemon.. if it is, I hope I won't run into problems trying to get it swapped for another one. I bought the extended warranty (3 years total) so I'll keep bugging them until I'm entirely satisfied with what I see. I haven't checked but maybe there is a 30 day exchange policy?

Post Number: 6
Hi Tomy,

Delivery was free but I had to assemble the stand and setup everything by myself.

Marc_sony_tv
Unregistered guest
Apart from the new look, removal of the memory stick and addition of inputs, do you know if there's anything changed in terms of quality of image about the new KF50WE620? (compared to the KF50WE610) I'm saying this because I heard the dark border around the 610 was used to make blacks appear darker. A guy I know at StereoPlus said Sony only removed the dark border as well as the memory stick to save money on building the set. (to sell it cheaper)

Post Number: 7
When I compared both sets at the store, it seems like the image quality has improved a little bit in terms of clarity and definition. Maybe this was just my own perception but it looked better, way better than the Hitachi 50V500. Other than that, it's all the same as the 610 with obviously the correction to the bulb failure. And since I don't use a sony digital camera, I didn't care for the removal of the memory stick. No clue however if the internal components have been improved though.. But now I'm questioning Sony's quality control since I've been shipped a defective unit.. somewhat disappointed.

Marc_tv_sony
Unregistered guest
Why do some sites, including cnet.com, say that the 50V500 has the best picture? They chose it for editor's choice also.
I'm even wondering if a regular rear-proj. might produce a better quality image than LCD....
I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to buy.

FrankM
Unregistered guest
To Marc_tv_sony: Most reviewers have an agenda. Be careful, since they change their opinions as often as I change socks. Take cnet very lightly and don't spend your cash on what they just happen to be saying today. There are much better authorative sources elsewhere, read multiple reviews, and use your own eyes before making the purchase.

Tomy
Unregistered guest
I was wondering of people are buying any extended warranty packages that many stores offer. I was in Best Buy and the package was $499.99 for 5 years. Is it worth it?

Post Number: 9
If it's in Canadian dollars, yes that's about the average.. otherwise you're getting screwed. I took an additional 2 years (3 years total) on mine for $250 CDN. I'm glad I took it since I've already started having problems from day 1.

Marc_sony_tv
Unregistered guest
Eric, what's going on with that? Is it fixed, replaced?

By the way, I bought it too yesterday but I'll only get it delivered in October/november. (Moving soon)

Post Number: 10
It's going to be replaced. Hats off to B&M after sales service! It's too new to have it repaired and there are no convergence settings like CRT projection since it is factory set. They told me a tech might not be able to fix it properly.. so that's it, case closed and happy camper here..

Congrats for your new toy! So where are you moving? I don't know how you could be waiting that long to get the Sony.. I'd be anxious!

Bill4244
Unregistered guest
The KF42WE620 can be purchased at either of the "HomeShow" locations in Toronto(Scarborough & Vaughan) for $3153 and the 5yr warranty is $463. Taxes and $50 delivery are extra to these prices.

Yveric
Unregistered guest
I made some phone calls on August 7th and got a quote of $3529 cdn + $299 for the stand at Fillion (Sherbrooke-East, Montreal). I heard by a lot of people that they have a very good sales service. I can also have a 3 years extended period for $300. It's shipped and installed at no extra cost.

Since it's a month ago I may have a better deal today. I'm about sure to buy the KF50we620 from here to Christmas.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Yveric,

No intent to put pressure on you but you have until September 15 to get the free stand, after that it's $799... :-(

Yveric
Unregistered guest
Hi Eric,

The $299 stand is not from Sony, it's from a company in Laval. Two different stores told me that the Laval one was better (and less expensive) than the Sony's. I will have to look at both of them... :-)

/me going to make some calls soon!

Yveric
Unregistered guest
The stand is made by Tech-Craft and I found an image:

http://store.advantage123.com/thc-swe50.html

For comparison, here's the Sony SU-GW1:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IyozmC51kG0/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158SUGW1&id=more photos&a=&s=0&cc=01&g=15730#morephotos

I guess both will do the job fine.

Unregistered guest
Hey Ducky tried to find a number for Pacific HiFi TV in the China Mall with no luck. any chance you could post their phone number.

I just bought a KF50WE620 from Best Buy in Ottawa for 3550.00 3yr warrent plan cost me $389.99 looks like I paid to much for my warranty. Id like to save a little more on the cost of the TV. Best Buy claims they will beat any price out there ??? Any help would be appreciated.

Username: Werner

MONTREAL, QUEBEC CANADA

HEY ERIC GODIN,
I AM LOOKING TO BUY A SONY KF50WE620 FOR ABOUT THE SAME PRICE AS YOU PAID.I AM FROM MONTREAL AND I CANNOT SEEM TO GET A GOOD DEAL LIKE YOU GOT.CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS OR PURHAPS YOU CAN TURN ME ON TO THE SALESMAN AT BRAULT AND MARTINEAU THAT YOU DEALT WITH.THANKS.

Marc_sony_tv
Unregistered guest
Hey Eric, I'm moving from Orleans to Orleans. And yeah I can't wait to get it, specially since I have a 27 inch tube TV (CURVED!!!) Glad to hear they gave you a new one. Saves alot of trouble down the road.

To Bruce, that's about as cheap as you'll get that TV, no doubt.

To Alan, all stores, iuncluding B&M will only bring the price down if you can show another store advertises it at a lower price. So make some calls and get some prices.

Bruce McK
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply Marc_sony_tv, its great to see this forum helping people out. What do you think about the 3 year warranty for $389.00, seems rather expensive to me. Anyone know where it can be bought cheaper...say, direct from Sony, etc ???

Marc_sony_tv
Unregistered guest
Bruce, I think the sony store offers a 3 year waranty for 250$. (2 extra years after the initial 1 year standard). So 389$ is kind of expensive, but worth the peace of mind.

MONTREAL, QUEBEC CANADA

Hi Mark,
I took your advice and made a few phone calls to different stores.I finally got a great deal at Brault and Martineault in Brossard for $3495 with no interest on 36 equal payments.The stand is included with the Sony promotion as is free shipping until sept.15.I took the additional 3 year warranty for $389,could not get a lower price, which will give me a total 4 year warranty.I can hardly wait to receive the TV.Thanks alot guys for your help, it really pays to check for the bargains.

Bruce McK
Unregistered guest
Thanks Marc_sony_tv, appreciate the reply.

Hey what do you guys recommend for component cables ? I bought Monster Ultra Video 1000. (ULT V1000 CV-1m EU THX ULT )

Bruce McK
Unregistered guest
Thanks Marc_sony_tv, appreciate the reply.

Hey what do you guys recommend for component cables ? I bought Monster Ultra Video 1000. (ULT V1000 CV-1m EU THX ULT ) Cost me $170.00 plus taxes. Anything that will perform well at a better price ?

Ducky
Unregistered guest
Hi BruceMcK,
Hope I am not too late as I just came back from the minivacation of mine. My mistake, It wasn't called Pacific but rather its name is Update TV & Stereo. I just bought the TV there yesterday for 3999.00 (15% tax included) and got them to include 2 sets of Ultralink component video for me (1 2-meter and 1 1-meter cable, probably woth about $90.00 to $100.00) it will be delivered to me tomorrow night (X my fingers! that I won't get a defect). I don't have the phone number here with me today, but I will get it tonight and post it tommorow for you....

Guttiman
Unregistered guest
Hi there.
Sony store here in Burnaby BC is quoting me yesterday $3,999 plus $50 for shipping and including the stand for the KF50WE620 !
Looks to me like a bad deal here, compare to $3,300 in Edmonton.
Could someone tell me where I can find a good deal in BC ?

Anonymous

Hey Guttiman,
I don't know about B.C.but delivery and the stand are included until the 15th sept throuout Canada.,so somebody's playing with you.Edmonton seems to be the best deal.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Sony store moves the least on price.
Try the Brick or Future Shop in BC and be prepared to walk if you don't get a decent deal.

Anonymous

I was at the CNE in Toronto was quoted 2999 + free stand for the 42'' model and 3499 + stand for the 50" model.

Havent't decided whether to go for DLP technology or this television.

Any advice.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
"Haven't decided whether to go for DLP technology or this television."

I tried two Sammy's and they were both faulty. Loved the picture but found some modest eyestrain and the noisy light wheels definitely turned me off (FWIW - I've seen quiet DLP's - I must have just hit a lemon/rough spot).

Have now ordered Sony KF50WE620 - am hoping I won't be disappointed as Sammy's are supposed to have greater contrast - in the store I found the Sony easier on my eyes but couldn't compare them side by side. I had to run back and forth across the floor.

Overall, if you spend lots of hours in front of a computer during work, the LCD-RP is reported to cause less eyestrain than DLP - may not have quite the sharp contrast of DLP, but Sony LCD RP is definitely a nice picture.

I'll know more next week when mine arrives!
Fngers crossed.

Good luck!

Anonymous

I've got KF50WE620 in AB Sound in Burnaby, BC
for $3530 + $55 delivery + $399 5-year total ext. warranty + free stand. Not the best deal, but certainly not the worst.
Peter

Sacred
Unregistered guest
You just wasted money pal...Im sorry but you did. But hey if your rich, what 400 dollars wasted on warranty. :-)

mississauga
Unregistered guest
Sacred, r u suggesting that one should not purchase the warranty ?

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Get the warranty!

I've already had 2 lemons and all this stuff is so new - if you're not covered for at least the next 5 years, a DLP or LCD rear projection TV won't even make a nice bookstand if it fails in future.

If memory serves, 4 year Warranty is usually 10% of net purchase price on equipment - the less you pay, the cheaper your warranty ;) ;)

A&B sound is another one worth looking at here in BC, but IMO, they're pretty smooth at moving merchanise so its smart to shop the deal around if you want to shave a few bucks.

I doubt you'll see any 50" KF50WE60's listed for much less than 3500.00 cdn on paper in BC at this time - but hey, if you squeel like a stuck pig and schmooze em like a finely honed used car salesman, you never know :-)

Anonymous

I got a quote today for 3419+tax including the stand. Not sure about the extended warranty though....ne1 else think its not worth it.

Anonymous

In which province did you get a quote of $3419.This seems like a really great price.

Anonymous

The warranty is probably the best thing to get on a television like this.I heard on the earlier model kf50we610 there were many problems.For $400 you at least have peace of mind for the next 4 or 5 years just in case you get a lemon like the Schlepp got.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Oh ya, and another thing, evidently if your TV has to get repaired 3 times, the fourth time you just might (read the fine print) get a "brand new one" IF you have the extended warranty.

Caveat - these extended warranties are underwritten by insurance companies and they can be tough nuts to deal with - so get the whole Warranty in WRITING (easier said than done)!

Normally, for small ticket items I don't opt for any extended warranties cause you know they're playing you for a chump. BUT - for big ticket items and unproven techology - IMHO, you gotta have it for "peace of mind" and that possible failure down the road!

Anonymous

I agree 100% with you schlepp.Before you would spend a few hundred bucks on a 27"Tv and if it broke big deal you would buy a new one.They usually lasted 15 years.Today a TV like the KF50WE620 is 4 grand and who knows with all the new technology what can happen after 1 year.For $400 on a 4 grand plus tax investment you would have to be crazy not to take the warranty.If nothing happens in 4 years at least you had the peace of mind with the warranty.

Username: Dempr

Edmonton, Ab Canada

hey guys I just bought one from Vision in Edmonton for $3550+GST+Bell ExpressVue system, stand included.I have to wait for it to come in though. I decline an extended warranty for 5yrs for $349.

Anonymous

Everybody hypes about warranty. With sony technology only one thing can fail is the lamp which comes with it (Note that this is not covered in extended warranty)..So why you buy the extended warranty..unless you expect the circuit board to burn due to high voltage surge..of course you can protect that also with surge protector..i am with people who dont purchase warranty for this LCD ..i purchased one last week and declined warranty

Anonymous

The warranty is a piece of mind on a 4 grand TV.The Sony technology,with all due respect,is a machine which can break like any other machine.The warranty is an insurance.If you don't use it at least you had piece of mind for 4 years at a $100 per year.If you bought a lemon like the schlepp did they will repair or replace it at no cost.On a TV for 4 Grand plus tax 4 years this is a long time to gamble that a new technology,such as sony LCD will not break.Normally I never take a warranty as I believe it is a "sucker shot",in this case I believe you would have to be crazy not to take a 4 year warranty.

Bruce McK
Unregistered guest
Hey guys I received my Sony KF50WE620 on Wednesday, $3550.00 from Best Buy, Merivale Road, Ottawa.
Was not happy about paying $389.99 for 3 year warranty but you never know what might happen. Very knowledgeable and helpful salesman (Michael) helped me out and convinced me that Best Buy was going to stand behind their sale 100% with Best Buys warrant which covers every think other than lamp.

When the TV arrived I checked it over and their were no marks, delivery guys left and I removed some packing tape that was on the top corners and edge of the TV. I removed this tape very slowly and carefully but it still pulled the paint finish off the TV. To say I was annoyed does not come close to how I felt. Anyway Best buy is suppost to either order me a new TV or make it up to me ??? I'll see today when I go in as to what kind of service I get on this issue.

So be warned, make sure the delivery guys remove the tape or be super careful; although I don't think you could be more careful than I was. Best Buy did not think the right tape had been used at the factory during packing???

So heads up everyone.

Anonymous

"In which province did you get a quote of $3419.This seems like a really great price"

Quebec. Montreal area....I will try to get Brault&Martineau to match it this weekend so I can get it on their financing plan. I was originally looking at the Hitachi 50v500 but this price is just to good to pass.

Anonymous

which store in Montreal did you get such a great price.If you go to Brault& Martineault I think Somebody said they got a price of $3495 in Brossard,you should try to beat that price.Give us news.

Username: Dempr

Edmonton, Ab Canada

correction on my previous post. The price is $3550+gst which include Bell Expressvue & Stand.

email77
Unregistered guest
Well some need the extended warranty some don't. But I always make sure to use my GOLD MC to cover extra one year warranty. why have to paid the warranty when you can get it for FREE.

Yveric
Unregistered guest
Bought mine today at Fillion in Montreal for $3450 + $299 for extended 3 years warranty. They sold 8-10 of them in the last 2-3 days.

They have excellent after sales service by the way. Will be delivered and pluged at no extra cost. Should come in the next week or 2 maximum.

Can't hardly wait!...

Anonymous

Hi Yveric,
Congradulations on your purchase,very nice price.Is the warranty total 3 years or is 3 plus 1 for 4 year total warranty.

Joseph TO
Unregistered guest
Hi,

Just came back from the HOME SHOW in Vaughan (TO,ON) and the guy gave me a sweet deal for the KF50WE620... $3591 + TV Stand + 7% Mail-in Rebate

Has anyone heard of a 7% mail-in rebate on these TVs?

JJJJJJ
Unregistered guest
Paid $3599 + Free Stand at Future Shop - Surrey BC. All is good with the tv. My only issue is with the poor picture quality with regular cable...I am looking at getting the HD Cable box when more channels are available. Looked around at all rp tvs and could not find a better picture. DVD is stunning with the tv! Lets hope it lasts!

Anonymous

Is the 7.5% mail in rebate with Sony Canada.I never heard of such a rebate but it really sounds great.Usually you get $100 or $200 flat rebate.This is the first time I heard of a % rebate.

mississauga
Unregistered guest
I am disappointed with Sony. Went to buy the 42'' with the stand. The tv's width is about 40'' but the free stand is 60''. The stand is just too big for that television. I think they are making that combo look very poor aethetically speaking.

50'' is too big for us. Back to the drawing board on research. Which other tv can i get in that price range.

Yveric
Unregistered guest
It's 3 years added to the initial 12 months. Total: 4 years.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
I agree about that goofy looking Sony stand - I have a DLP stand I plan on using that will fit nicely into the corner but still doesn't quite fit for the Sony's curvature. Anythings better than Sony's stand.

The 3 CDN model contenders in LCD-RP for me were:

50" Sony KF50WE620:
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10001&navigationPath=32050n45260&productId=173764

here's Sony's 42"
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10001&navigationPath=32050n45260&productId=173763

Hitachi 42" and 50":
http://hitachi.ca/product_list.asp?CID=103

Panasonic 43":
http://panasonic.ca/English/audiovideo/television/projection/pt43-50lc14.asp

IMHO, the Panasonic had the best features; card reader, PC input, HDMI and ergonomic stand, but the Sony and Hitachi had the better picture.

I have a Samsung HLP466 in my living room now but it has a faulty colour wheel and is going back - I ordered the Sony Grand Wega 50" on picture Quality alone!

I'll know more next week if it is going to work out or not.

Hope this helps!

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Techcraft makes a nice stand for the Sony:

42"
http://store.advantage123.com/thc-swe42.html

50"
http://store.advantage123.com/thc-swe50.html

More:
http://store.advantage123.com/tvstands1.html

Bruce McK
Unregistered guest
Sony stand is very well made, strong, and to my eye looks great with the 50" Grand Wega. Since it's free right now with the TV why would you want to buy after market stands??

DD
Unregistered guest
I picked up the 42" for 3,198.00 (includes stand and a progressive scan Sony DVD, free delivery and set up.

Anonymous

Yveric,does Fillion give 36 month interest free equal payments like Braul & Martinault does. The extended warranty for$299 is much cheaper than other people paid at $389.Did you you have to negotiate this price or is this there regular price on a 3 year extended warranty.Great price,maybe I will try them if they have the interest free payments.Keep us informed.

Yvéric
Unregistered guest
Hi Anonymous,

Fillion's regular price was $3899. I was able to pay in 6 months (total price / 6 at each month). Since I got a much lower price they had to add around 3% for the financial institution (Accord-D I think). I prefered to make a deposit and pay in full on delivery. I think at the regular price they would have absorbed that 3%.

mississauga
Unregistered guest
Well, I got the store to replace the 'Free' Sony stand with SWE-42 stand. That stand is meant for the 42'' Sony. My price 3100 including the stand and 6 month no processing fee financing.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Mississauga ..... Nice deal!

:-)

Bennitt
Unregistered guest
If these things are so likely to break during the first few years of ownership, why are we buying them? As with most electronic equipment, if its going to break it usually happens soon after you start using it. I think there is a major flaw in marketing strategy when you walk into a bestbuy (or other box sotre) and while trying to sell you the TV, they recommend the warranty because of all the problems that owners encounter.

Anyway, how do you guys like your Grand Wegas? How does it look when watching fast-moving sport (I've heard LCDs can have slow refresh rates)? Are the black levels as bad as some say (they look OK to me at the store)? Has anyone experienced any dead pixels? I'm looking for a 50 inch TV and my wife sees the "rainbow" effect on DLPs. For the money, the Sony LCDs seem like a good option.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
I agree that for the money we're paying, we should never have to buy an extended warranty, manufacturers are getting off way too easy with this ONE year warranty BS!!!

... its also a given that for *most* purchases, these extended warranties are a gravy train for the stores and insurance companies - HOWEVER - unlike old TV's that have been around for years, that cost next to nothing and rarely fail, this DLP & RP-LCD technology is very new and technicians have told me they see considerable numbers of failures/problems/returns.

As cars, fridges, new high tech stoves and all the rest of the electronic goodies we all are buying are now made in third world countries, there is lots of cost cutting and flaky components being sold!

Point in fact - I bought the wife 3 new kitchen appliances last year and we've had 2 service calls to replace 3 parts already!!! To repair the $2000 high tech stove we bought, would have cost me $800 for one faulty front panel component if it was off warranty - I will never let the extended warranty run out on that hight tech dog!

If you're willing to take the chance being without the coverage, go for it - however, for me, I'm willing to risk the purchase to get the big screen and enjoy the cutting edge of technology, but I'm not willing to look at a $4000 book end if the new TV happens to bite the dust in a few years.

- My experience has show me that all these new electronic gadgets we all oogle over are far too frequently not stable enough to risk not having the warranty !

Sony 50" arrives tomorrow to replace my DLP. Fingers crossed - lol

mississauga
Unregistered guest
btw, how long do u have to wait for your televisions. i have to wait 4/5 weeks for mine.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Mine is in the main Wharehouse and I waited one week!

Perhaps your excellent deal was due to the fact that they don't have any backlog of stock(low overhead = Just in time shipping = better prices) and Sony's pre-Christmas ordering may be backlogged for chains/stores that have smaller volume sales.

Just a guess!

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
So my KF-50WE620 arrived yesterday!

... TV looks pretty nice. Not quite as sharp/edgy as the Sammy DLP HLP466 I had, but pretty nice. More colourfull, less eyestrain, no rainbows, no clay faces, but not quite as defined and sharp an image on fast movement.

I notice a little screen door effect on quick motion scenes especially on low rez regular cable TV (I don't have high definition yet). DVD's on component look excellent! Close or on par with DLP but a little softer - not hammering on your retina, if that makes any sense.

For my eye, the 50" screen looks best when you sit back at least 10' - closer than that and the screen door effect becomes more noticeable - I'll continue to give it a trail this week but so far I think I may keep it - (buyers remorse suggests to me that it will be outdated in appearance faster than current DLP's, as it has lots of bulk and very wide bevels around the TV's edges - I prefer the sleek new slim bevel LCD look)

O ya ... one great thing is, it's QUIET!!! only modest fan noise barely noticable during volume mute - no whining colour wheel! Halleluah ! I can now enjoy 5.1 surround system at low volumes. (If you're investing in a big screen TV and not sure if you need a Sound system - GET a sound system and don't skimp too much - it really brings the Screen to life - the built in speakers are ok, but I'd rather they had left them off and kept the size of this monster down)

almost forgot - the split screen is great (DLP didn't have) - and I really like being able to name the inputs and skip the ones not being used - makes finding stuff fast and easy - watch Cable on one side of the TV and DVD or satelite on the other - lol - a channel surfers dream. Sony remote works better for controlling other stuff for me than the Samsung remote!

So far ... so good!

MONTREAL, QUEBEC CANADA

To the Sclepp,
I am very glad you like the Tv mine is going to be delivered in 2 weeks,I will give you an update upon receipt.All the best and just in case Happy New Year.

Username: Bantamcc

Schlepp and Others,

I guess I can go on record as being 1st on block according to this forum as having owned a TV from this new Sony LCD series. (KF-42WE610) Purchased mine last April for $3300 with a floor model Techcraft stand ($200) with 3 year warranty for $250. The previous batch according to several owners of this model was a nightmare with failing Phillips bulb which has been replaced with a German version early in 2004 on the 2nd batch of these TV's from Sony. It's a great TV and wanted to trade for '50 but did'nt have room.

Did my homework before buying and made sure that bulb issue was fixed prior to buying. No problem so far so you guys should'nt have problem either with 620 model. I'm also using satellite reception and monster cabling which do make a diff. 'Gonna get home theatre next.

Like Schlepp, I do notice pixalating or if you wanna call it 'screen door effect' on certain scenes. Mostly dark ones.

Saw the (KF-42WE620) at Dumoulin here in Montreal for $3500 with Sony stand which sucks.(not bad if free but it was retailing for $900 last April which was a real ripoff. Glad I bought the Techcraft as it as an extra shelf.

I had salesman call Sony today and according to Sony the only diff. between both models is the memory stick and the silver outline on the 620. A tech at Future shop told me that the lamp on the 620 is better and it's a darker screen. Go figure. I hope Future shop does'nt know what he's talking about and Sony's right 'cause I'de hate to have paid for already obsolete technology. The Sony writeup on the 620 does mention 'Improved contrast and black levels ' although the writeup on the 610 back in April probably said the same thing.See bottom of http://tinyurl.com/4uj3s

If anyone can get white papers on the difference of both sets, please send along. I don't think you'll find it on a Sony site.

Enjoy your TV's you haven't made a bad buy...

BantamCC

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Great to hear the feedback - thanks all!

I'll post any further observations too!

:-)

RJJ
Unregistered guest
After reading all the posts on the problems with the 42 and 50 LCD R>P> re: LCD's and Bulb, plus talking and emailing Sony,there emails make it quite clear they don't like negetive press and no copy and pasting its rather digusting to me they continue to deny any problems, reminds me when I did have a XBR years ago with cold solder joint issues.
I think I will stick with Pany, seven years use and not one service call, its a shame I did want to try Sony again... but after seeing there emails, NO WAY. we are talking quite a some of cash (:

Unregistred User
Unregistered guest
Looking for good bargain on sony LCD projection TVs in Canada? Here is a easy idea.

Go to any Sears Store selling Sony TVs. Most do. Purchase a box of Coupons for around $26. I don't know what is box called. But it has Home written on it. This box has a coupon for 10% discount on any regular price TV. New KF50WE620 Sony's regular price is $3,999. After using above coupon, you can save $400 without any bargain.

Sept 15th was the last day for Free Stand from Sony. If they don't extend this free stand offer, they might reduce the price. Well, they have to do something to keep their market share.

Good luck. Give me your feedback. Thanks

Username: Bantamcc

Post Number: 6
I work in downtown Montreal. Dropped into Centre Hi-FI on St. Catherine street they have a KVF42SW610 on sale for $2799. Guy said it's his last one. Never seen this TV so low ! If your in Montreal and like this TV (It's great, I have one) goto Centre HI FI or email me for exact adress it's between Bleury and Alexander.

Happy Shopping !

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Sears in BC has the KF50WE620 on sale for $3600 and change (can't remember exact price in flyer as I've thrown it out) with the stand.

I had two DLP's prior and prefer this Sony RPT-LCD TV - excellent picture - quiet - better price - less eye strain than DLP! More realistic colours (no green hue bias) ..... Nice!

mississauga
Unregistered guest
Hi Bantamcc,

I am wondering if 2799 is a good price for last year's model. It probably does not include the stand. I paid 3100 including the proper stand for 42'' Sony for this year's model.

Am still waiting for the delivery though :-(

Username: Bluejazz

Toronto, Ont Canada

I had a price the KF50WE620(Brand New) for $3359 +tx which is
$3900 after tax

that was including stand before sept.15

i dont know if they can still throw something instead of stand :-)

Anonymous

To Bluejazz:
$3359 is really a super price especially with the stand included.Can you tell us where you got such a great price at,so that maybe we can use this as negotiating tool to also get a great price.Enjoy your TV.

Leaf Fan
Unregistered guest
Wow, I can't believe I found this thread! I don't have enough time to write all that has happened since I bought my KF50WE620 on Aug. 27th from the Home Show, and I'm sure you will all be bored with the gritty details.. but he is the general sequence of events:
- Aug. 27, bought TV (KF50WE620) for $3591, Premium 5 yr plan ($376), got free stand, and 2 free 2.0 MP Polaroid digital cameras. I also bought the Home theatre DAVBC250 for 538$

So at this point I'm in for a lot of cash but was feeling good that I negotiated a free Home Show membership, and 20% off the premium warranty, and get 2 free camera (they had a promotion)

- A week later they call me and say that they have the TV but no stand, do I want it shipped anyway... well I say yes but my wife says no so guess who wins.

- After another week goes by I go in to see a Manager and he explains that Sony doesn't make the stand, it's made by techcraft and they should be getting more in soon (now I see that Sony does make a stand, and in fact these guys advertised a free Sony stand, but I'm getting the Techcraft b/c it's cheaper) He refunds my delivery charge and apologizes and says it will be here Sept. 13/14.

- last weekend there is a no-GST sale - so since they guarantee their own prices for 30 days I save another 323$

- Sept. 14: Finally they call... the stand is here... but there is no TV... the idiots gave away my TV, so again we are waiting for the full shipment. My wife loses it and calls the Mgr, he apologizes and says there will be more tv's soon.

- Today (Sept. 17th), the delivery guy calls and says there are no more KF50WE620 TV's and manufacturing has stopped. Would I like the KF50WE610 instead, it has more features and costs 1000$ more in the store. Well, I know it costs more in the store, and the only explanation for this is the memory chip. I was actually disappointed that the KF50WE620 did not have the memory chip b/c we have 2 Sony digital cameras (video and still) that use them. I tell the guy if he delivers it TOMORROW I will take it, and he says he can do it (a little too excitedly).

that brings us to tonight... I am nervous about my downgrade (I'm the type who has to have the latest model) so I come online and discover this amazing thread. I knew about the KF50WE610 lamp problems but I was gambling that I would have a post Dec-2003 model, I just wanted to see what else I was compromising and there seems to be no certainty to that based on the comments above. I also see that Samsung has a wireless home theatre offering wiht the DLP for 4200$ now (with a 400$ gift card at Future Shop) so I'm wondering if I can the whole deal and go there.

Bah.. DLP is not for me I have decided, with my luck I will be the 1/10 who sees the rainbows.

WHAT HAVE I DONE!!?? Would you take the KF50WE610 for the KF50WE620 assuming the lamp issue is fixed?

We'll... let's see what happens tomorrow, if I even get the thing or not....

Username: Leaffan

Toronto, ON Canada

Well as long as my post was, I left out some details... my wife went into the Sony store at one point and the guy told her that HomeShow should have given a better price on the TV.

Now I'm sure if I went into HomeShow tomorrow, they would sell me a KF50WE620 no problem, so the "stopped manufacturing them" has got to be a way of getting rid of the old models. If there is any truth to it, I hope it is not because there are new problems. Anyway, after readin this thread I am glad I bought the 5 yr warranty... hopefully I will have the tv delivered before it expires.

Username: Bluejazz

Toronto, Ont Canada

Post Number: 5
Leaf Fan

is that true Future shop give a $ 400 Gift Card too?

if it is true ...That's really good deal..WOW

well i'm gonna check out the future shop tomorrow

Toronto, ON Canada

it's on page 2 of the flyer this week... numerous tv's had the gift card offering (which doesn't make sense to me - why not give an instant rebate?), but to be honest i'm not sure if the card applied to the samsung tv & wireless package or not.

in other news - home show called this morning an the sony is on the way... i'll believe it when i see it!

Toronto, ON Canada

... the saga ends?

the delivery guys showed up today... with the tv and home theatre, but no stand and one missing camera. that was the final straw for me. I sent the delivery guys packing and called the HomeShow manager who was speechless at this neverending stream of screw-ups. Anyway, unless someone tells me I am crazy to give up on this deal I am going to get a full refund today and start over. By all accounts, this tv is hit and miss anyway.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Leaf Fan ....
I hear your pain - we're paying loads of money for this "Stuff" and you've had the runaround!

I've got to tell you - the TechCraft stand is nicer than the Sony stand - looks way better. I'd go for it over the Sony stand any day! It also fits better into narrow areas.

Not sure what you're hearing but the KF50WE620 is the newer model - the 610 is older model - ya, the 620 doesn't have the sony memory stick reader, but supposedly all the Bulb problems are ironed out.

Anyway, I had two Samsung DLP's (eye strain and noisy) which have been returned and I've got the KF50WE620 in my living room now! I love it! Awesome colours, vivid, clear, sharp - only minimal screen dooring on low rez pictures - DVD's are excellent! Personally I'm very happy with the PQ on this set and am keeping it!

Good luck!

Toronto, ON Canada

ahhh, i am such a softy... I went into the store to demand my refund and came out with a promise to have the ENTIRE delivery sent Tuesday and another 100$ rebate. Killing me.

I think I am now sold that the 610 for the same price as the 620 is better bang fo the buck. The 620 had the black border and memory chip removed to make more competitively priced. I hear the 620 comes with 120 watt lamp instead of 100, and I have to believe there are some internal improvements... but still.

So I went by Future Shop to do some price comparing, and the sales guy took my HomeShow receipt and was doing everything in his power to come up with a matching offer.

He said he'd give me the Sony stand (instead of techCraft), the 620, and monster cables (instead of the 2 free 2 Megapixel digital cameras, which I have to admit are useless to me anyway), he would also give me an instant rebate for the GST rebate from Homeshow, macth the warranty, etc. Wow.... now I am really stumped. All things being equal, who has the best service record, Futureshop or HomeShow? Well, given my experience this is an obvious choice, but like I said, I am sort of sold on the 610 over the 620 now, I can use the Memory stcik option.

Username: Denis54

My KF50WE620 will be delivered next Thursday.

Do you use any fancy powerbar with surge protection and line conditioning? If so, which one do you recommend?

How do you like SD picture quality? I have digital cable (Illico) from Videotron in Montreal.

Smarter
Unregistered guest
Hi Everyone, Thanks for this wonderful thread with all the pricing information. I used this yesterday to haggle at various stores in Montreal and finally buy a nice KF50WE620 + home theatre syetem + cabling + 5 year extended warranty, paid over 36 months interst free. Here is my experience from yesterday. Hopefully it'll help somebody else like your mails helped me.

Though the Sony promotion of including the stand officially ended on the 16th Sept, based on some of your mails I was hoping to get that deal yesterday as well.

Started off with B&M on St. Charles, but a bizzare conversation with a sales guy increasingly made it obvious that he wasn't taking me seriously. He also insisted that he could not include the stand now that the Sony promotion was over. He was only willing to go down to $3600 on the TV.

Headed over to Future Shop where the TV is listed at $3999. Talking to the sales guys, I used Yveric's mail above to show that Fillion could sell at $3450 including the stand and I asked for something better. After "talking to the manager" they matched Fillion's price and threw in the stand even though the Sony promotion is over. Well that was too easy :-), so I started with the rest of the gear I wanted which included the Sony BAV-BC250 home theatre system($549), S-video ($30)and component cables($169) + 5 yrs extended warranty ($450) (yes, I am paranoid about this new technology).

Even after including this stuff they would not go down lower on the overall price anymore. So I took the quote and went over to the SonyStore. After pondering over it for quite a while, the Sony sales people (nice guys) just could not throw in the stand now that the Sony promotion was over. They were willing to try to better the Future Shop prices on the rest of the equipment though.

So it was back to Future Shop, where after some more intense haggling, I managed to get an additional $100 off, which they took off from the price of the Home Theatre system. They also allowed me to pay the grand total over 36 months interest-free using the Future Shop card (which will cost me $25/yr for 3 years).

So there you go! Hopefully you can use my experience from yesterday to get an even better deal from somewhere else. The pity is that I have to wait for the TV and stand for at least a week or two since there is a huge backorder.

-Smarter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us