Archive through June 30, 2007

Bronze Member
Username: Potentialjvcowner

Post Number: 41
No, I don't think that you can safely transport it face down. It has to be kept upright. There is a large mirror in the unit (and it's a "front surface" mirror, expensive to replace), and it will probably break if you try to transport it lying down (and if you were going to do that, I'd lie it on it's back, not it's front). It will probably fit into a mini-van, although not a station wagon.

Bronze Member
Username: Marshcat

United States

Post Number: 15
Let me put it this way...I need to transport my TV.

I only have a station wagon.

How should I do that without breaking it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
You might have to accept the fact that it's just as impossible to safely transport it in a station wagon as it would be to transport it in a volkswagen. But if you have to lie it down, lie it on it's back, not it's front.

Bronze Member
Username: Ajd6c8

Post Number: 12
rent a uhaul cargo van for 19.99. Problem solved.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 16
Hmmmmm, lets see.

Drive 30 minutes to U-haul place.

Pay $20 and $0.50 per mile for a total of 80 miles.

Add on insurance too.

oh, and I have to buy gas.

Will end up being like $80

not an option.

Bronze Member
Username: Kumar_shah

New York, NY United States

Post Number: 14
Guys:

Should we be wasting each other's time and dumbing down this board with discussions about what vehicle to transport a TV, the cost of renting U-Hauls etc. I for one get nothing out of trivia like this.

Others, please tell us if you agree with me. If not, I will accept that the rest of you find posts like this of use and leave this board.

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1025
Life's too short to sweat the small stuff. BTW...it's all small stuff.

These sets are not unlike a refrigerator when it comes to service. They should be serviced in the home for about $60 per hour. The mirror box and the UHP Mercury lamp are fragile enough without a wagon ride.

Samsung will make it right, Dan. Just be nice, but firm. They do reimburse expenses.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 17
FYE, thank you so much. Finally...a straight answer.

I will definetely pay $60. I just hope that they don't charge more.

I am going to give them call today and see if they can come on Monday. Monday is the first day I have off work in a long time.

Username: Richard_watts

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 1
Dear FYI...
I purchased a Samsung DLP HL-6167W in Sept of 05. Just a few months out of warranty, a 2-inch black line has appeared on the left side of the screen. It's always there even in the 4:3 mode. When the 4:3 mode has both sides blacked out due to NOT being a HD signal, IF the screen goes to grey scale (example: between commercials) you can still see the 2-inch vertical line. ON HD signals, the line is still there, but you can see the signal behind it somewhat. No one has any ideas, YET....any assistance or ideas?

Thanks

Richard Watts
Dallas, Texas

Username: Frank_g

Denville, NJ US

Hi I have a hln5065w samsung, when I turn it on the lamp light blinks for about 20 seconds then goes out and all I have is sound no picture. Does anyone have any ideas on the problem?

thanks
Frank

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1030
Richard,

Read this thread.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/295015.html

Frank,

It's either the lamp or the ballast.
Try your spare lamp first.

Username: Uncleb20

The color wheel on my HLN507W has gone out at 3 yrs 2 months. Samsung was no help. But before replacing it, I wanted to determine how many hours are on my lamp. How can I find it?

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1037
It's in the service mode.

With tv off...on the remote...

push Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power

set comes on with SM menu screen 1

using arrows...arrow down to Option and press enter.

up comes screen 2

lamp hours and reset are there.

Be careful! Left and right arrows change things!

Press Menu to go back a screen.

Power off and back on quickly to exit the SM and watch.

http://www.jangro.com/a/2006/07/24/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

www.samsungparts.com

******************************************************************************** **************

Username: Richard_watts

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 2
Dear FYI..

I read your article with great interest. I then called SAMSUNG and got to a customer service person. I explained about the 2" dark bar and that it was a known problem. With that, he asked that I copy my original reciept, warrantly papers, etc. I scaned them in, sent them to his eMail address with the information in JPEG's. It's only been a week, but NO RETURN call yet. Perhaps they take a while.

Thanks
Richard

Username: Rickwatt

Post Number: 3
I'd give them a call back. Mine was out of warranty by a week or so, but they extended it for 90 days. The Samsung tech was aware of the problem and ended up replacing the bad part, along with the lamp and the fan. Excellent service.

Username: Spad

Hi, i got an HLN5065w... bought in oct 2003. 6 month later, i had the DMD drive changed (part 85777418), then in 2005, a color wheel...

Now, after switching the tv on, i got only sound... then after a few on/off and the power cable off, i got the 3 dreaded blinking light!

Fortunatly, i got the 5 year warranty... but i'm starting to be tired of all those repairs and the loud sound of the color wheel!

After 3 repair, i think i got a bad set... Can Samsung do something about that? Are the new color wheel part silent? I paid 6000$ for that set, including ext warranty and taxes...

I'm very tired of that set, are the new Samsun models much better?

Thanks

Hi, i got an HLN5065w... bought in oct 2003. 6 month later, i had the DMD drive changed (part 85777418), then in 2005, a color wheel...

Now, after switching the tv on, i got only sound... then after a few on/off and the power cable off, i got the 3 dreaded blinking light!

Fortunatly, i got the 5 year warranty... but i'm starting to be tired of all those repairs and the loud sound of the color wheel!

After 3 repair, i think i got a bad set... Can Samsung do something about that? Are the new color wheel part silent? I paid 6000$ for that set, including ext warranty and taxes...

I'm very tired of that set, are the new Samsung models much better?

Thanks

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1039
$6000? OMG!

The "N" was a second generation 720P DLP model...(prototype).
DLP has evolved to 1080P generation 8. Much better!
There's even an LED model! (no lamp, no color wheel)

The good news is that you bought the warranty.

It doesn't hurt to ask Samsung for a replacement. With persistence you may succeed.

Wow... I just love Samsung customer service. After complaining about the 3 repairs i had on my tv(waiting time always 2weeks and once 2.5 months for the repairs) ... The person told me she couldn't help, i asked to speak to someone who know the problems with that model, but guess what? She hung up on me!!! WOW, great samsung service. Then i called back, the new person told me she would look into my problem... i was put on hold... after 10 min, i was flushed again!

I not sure about what to next... should i go beserk vs Samsung and post picture of this tv thrown out of my window and post comments of that bad experience with them on a spe... don't know, it seems Samsung doesn't support their products and they seem to don't care about their clients!

Username: Irishgal

I need advice please!

Bought a fabulous Samsung HLR5067 50"DLP about a year and a half ago. It was a huge splurge at $2,200. I really hate to admit it, but I love it. It is just beautiful, but recently all the channels turned green, other than the HD channels. I can only watch HD channels now.

My local Samsung tech (great guy, really) sadly told me that I need a new digital board to the tune of almost $700. The part alone is $460.

From the posts above I can see that the digital boards for some of the Samsung models continually have problems.

Samsung has agreed to look over my info. (original receipt and tech's diagnosis), but has made no promises. I am barely out of warranty. I will hear from them in 3-5 days.

Does anyone (FYI?) think my model is a lemon(digital board-wise)? If Samsung does not help me with repair, is my money better spent buying a less troublesome and less expensive brand and model rather than repair? Like everyone else here, I do not have $700 extra to repair a digital board every couple of years and just need some guidance.

Any insight is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Username: Schafari

Great forum. I have a problem with my Samsung DLP HLP5063W. The picture now shows psychedelic red splotches on the screen. It is red wierd pixcels that are especially in spots where there are dark colors. It doesn't really effect light colors. It is on all inputs. It is on the screen even on sources that have no inputs. I am the original owner.

FYI, please help. What does this sound like?

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1040
Well Katherine,

I predict Samsung will extend your warranty for 90 days and replace your board. When you mass produce electronics there will be some run errors. Most likely, everything will be fine with the new one.

D,

That's a new one!

Samsung R & D may be very interested in knowing what that is too. Call'em up and plead your case. Get past the first SR's. Be polite, but firm. Persistent is often rewarded.

Thank you, FYI.

I will follow up soon.

My color problem on my HLP5063W continues. In fact, now I am also getting light green spots on flesh colored peoples faces. The red splotches still is on almost all areas that are shadows and dark. I tried to take a picture and have attached it. Please help. Upload

The color problem I am having also effects the actual TV menu, and screen with no inputs or outputs attached. Even switching to an input that is supposed to be a black background gives a red freaky backgournd. The menus for the TV have a red tint and pixelatted.

The other odd thing, is that if I adjust the color weakness setting for red or green, it visibily changes the picture. However, if I change the blue slider, I really can't see any difference at all.

In an attempt to solve, I have removed the lower back cover and see nothing odd. I carefully vaccummed all dust, etc. When I did this, the TV was unplugged of course. When I plugged it back in, the TV was fine. . .for about five hours. . .now it is back to the funky colors again.

The TV is mint, and i am the original owner. It was one of the of very first "P" series as I was on a long waiting list at a local HiFi store.

Post Number: 4
Ok, I called Samsung and am going to get the TV diagnosed. Agent was very nice and helpful. Asked for original receipt which I am faxing.

FYI, I think the prompts have changed to 4, 1, 1, 1.

Username: Lhdgo

Durango, CO

I have read many posts but have not seen my problem.I have a dreaded N series. Bought new Dec 2003. Have replaced bulb twice, main cooling fan and the color wheel. Nearest service is 175 miles and two mountain pases away. After he replaced the first bulb(warranty, six weeks later)he did not get back to me when the fan went out. I replaced it myself. Then the color wheel went. I downloaded the instructions from your site and fixed that (six months ago.) About a week ago, the set went black then off with the three lites blinking. I replaced the bulb with my spare, nothing. I put the other bulb in and it came back on. Worked a few days and then shut down again. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. On the second try it worked and stayed on for 10 hours. That was yesterday. Today I turned it on it it worked about 15 minutes and now it will stay on. The fan and light come on and then black,shut down and blinking lights. Is this the end? I have no patientence for customer service.

Username: Wardoed

I have found the information here more useful than talking to Samsung as of late.
I own a Samsung DLP HLP5063W and for the past few months, it has been randomly shutting off. I have taken off the panels and cleaned everythig I could think of cleaning (although it was already really clean, I did it anyways) and it has not helped. Can anyone suggest anything else I could do? Also, does anyone know where someone could purchase a service console to plug into the back and pull the error codes?

Thanks for any help!

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1044
DS,

That's a real strange one.
I bet they replace the light engine.

Larry,

It's either the lamp hatch door circuit, the ballast or the digital board. You have had enough problems to warrant a replacement if you have the patience and persistence.

Ed,

I've had several techs in my home servicing earlier DLP models, yours included. None have had laptops or diagnostic test sets. These guys are part swappers.

It could be the lamp, the lamp hatch shut-off circuit, the ballast, or the digital board. All have caused the shut off condition. The lamp and hatch door are two things worth trying yourself. I'd let a tech do the expensive part swapping.

Durango, CO

FYI.
Is there an address where I can send a registered letter? I
have this temper thing that would drive me crazy(er) waiting on the phone. Has
anyone thought of a class action lawsuit? I would be up for starting one.
Thank you for your time and help.
Larry

Username: Rickwatt

Yeah, that's what we need - a class action lawsuit. The lawyers make a ton of $$ and the consumer gets $10 or a free CD.

But, I certainly understand your frustration. As FYI has mentioned, be polite but firm. I've had great luck with their customer service, as have many other people. Keep trying until you get someone that will help.

Durango, CO

O K Rick, you are right. I will try to deal with them. Thanks for the help.

Just wanted FYI and everyone here to know that Samsung just agreed to pay for the cost of the part ($470) for my repair, despite my being out of warranty for a few months. FYI was right once again! Thanks FYI! Sadly, I will need to pay for the labor ($210-yikes!) myself, but I do appreciate Samsung's and FYI's help.

I did have to hold on the phone for close to 40 minutes as Samsung's Executive Customer Care was extremely busy, but the rep in the Executive Customer Care was quite nice and was really willing to help me. It was a really good experience.

I will update everyone once my TV is repaired to let you know how it looks. Hopefully, it will be back to the way it was! Thanks FYI and eCoustics for this forum and advice. I really appreciate it!

Username: Fortmac

Fort McMurray, AB Canada

I just read Raymond Bearden's post. We have a Samsung HL-R5078W DLP with the same problem. A 3 inch shadow on the left hand side of the tv running from the top to the bottom of the screen. I contacted Samsung about 3 weeks ago when the problem started and they said that they never heard of anything like I was explaining and my warranty had expired four months ago anyway so it wouldn't be covered. I wasn't very happy with the fact that my 1 year 4 month old tv was needing repair 4 months after the warranty was us up so I snooped around the internet and found a forum at www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=758625. I discovered that there are many Samsung owners with the same problem. It seems that the light tunnel has four small mirrors in it and two are attached with two sided tape and the tape doesn't hold. Seems like something that shouldn't happen to a tv that we paid over $4000 for. I expected a quality tv for that price and at the very least a company that would stand behind the products it sells. Needless to say I called Samsung back thinking that if they know they are having a problem with their tv's they should be correcting the problem. WRONG!! The office of the president for Samsung has closed my case file because my warranty has expired. Customer service is not a high priority for these guys. I am going to continue to fight with Samsung to get this problem fixed. We will never buy another Samsung product again. If you are having this same problem visit the forum I mentioned above it has alot of good info on it.

Username: David_g99352

Post Number: 5
Just came across this forum --- excellent info!!

HLP-5063W odd problem:
It will turn **ON** all by itself, usually at nite or when we are away from home. To go along with this, the VOLUME display will intermittently flash on and off with no input from the remote control, and even turn itself down to the "0" level. (I have gone so far as to deactive all remote controls, to no avail).

Before I call out a service rep (not under warranty) I would like to see if anyone here has an idea as to what is causing my probs.

FWIW --- The bulb has about 5,600 hrs on it and is starting to display symptoms of dying out. I plan to open the unit up the weekend and do a thorough cleaning as has been suggested here.

Thanks for any help on this.

David G

Username: Rob1110

Ed,

I own the 6163 and I am having the problem you described. I will probably try replacing the lamp (set is 2 years old). I will write back with my results. Please write back with yours if you solve the problem.

Rob

Username: Girvin

DFW, TX

I have Samsung HLN617W purchased in April 03. Way out of warranty! Replaced the screaming banshee color wheel in Dec 04. Currently on the 3rd bulb (4 months old).

Watching TV tonight heard a loud pop and the picture went white and then black and the blinking lights started. After letting it sit and cool down, inspected the bulb and it looked fine so I reinstalled the bulb and turned the TV back on. Now I have a black & white image (with greys) and a loud low pitch hum when I turn on the set. I do hear the fan on the bulb and that sounds normal/okay. When I turn the set off the low pitch hum goes away with the picture and the cooling fan continues to run as normal. I haven't left it on long enough to see what else might happen. Any idea as to what this problem might be? And what I can expect in repair costs? I've been thinking of upgrading and this might just be the time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Well, I don't think it's the bulb. As to what's wrong, no idea. As to cost, my guess is "expensive". I bought a 4-year service contract with my JVC set, and I'm glad I did (although it only covers one lamp).

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 18
Well...I am having it diagnosed tomorrow.

$75 for them to pick it up and return it and $30 to diagnose.

However, I have noticed something very interesting. The main lamp fan will not turn unless I flick it like an airplane propeller. If I don't flick it the TV turns off very quickly. Otherwise, it takes a little bit longer to turn off with its frozen error.

Also, the fan does not look like it is spinning that fast. Could the fan be a problem? Could a replacement fan stop the overheating and fix the TV?

Or is it definitely the digital board? Is there any way to check by cooling it from an external source?

The Samsung fans are $50!

Also, the executive customer care representative gave me their direct phone number and fax number. I am supposed to fax the tech's diagnosis to them. However, I accidentally lost the numbers. I could call them back and get the fax, but that would be a big hassle.

If anyone has those numbers, I would really appreciate it if you could PM them to me.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 19
OK. I just got a call from the repair place.

They told me that the problem is the light engine!!

I believe that they are wrong, but what can I do?

Do I still have a case with Samsung or am I out $120 for the diagnosis?

Just wanted to follow up with FYI and all. My Samsung HDTV DLP 5067 was repaired today--it was indeed the Digital Board. It is now working great. Samsung paid for the part and I paid labor ($210-yikes!)

My tech told me that in over 400 service calls for Samsung, he had never seen my problem before, so that was reassuring. He also told me that he thought that Samsung was a great company--and that they "worked with customers". I couldn't agree more. I am really pleased that they helped me by paying for the part, despite the fact I was out of warranty.

I echo FYI's advice to ask for help from Samsung and that in most reasonable cases, they are really willing to work with their customers. Just get to the Executive Customer Care area and explain politely.

Thanks again to FYI for your advice--you are an extremely valuable source in this forum.

Username: Jamesyeon

Hi Dan,
Can you let me know the executive customer care direct phone number?
Tier 1 support guy does not want to forward my call to them.
Thanks,

Username: 60adante

Post Number: 7
Dan Sheiner:

Fax number for the Samsung Executive Care is 973-529-0379.

Username: Bob07

FYI,

Add me to the list of Samsung customers with "flashing white lights" my set is about 2.5 yrs. In your previous posting, you mentioned it is time to call Samsung and press the issue for a new DMD board. Can I assume a replacement to a loyal customer at no cost?

Thanks,
BOB

Username: Jamesyeon

Thanks Dan,
I'll call Samsung again at Monday morning.
My DLP is HLN617W and only two years old.
I already spent $165 for new lamp and $95 for local samsung technician's house call. He called me today and said DMD board price is $500 part only and labor cost would be $380! OMG

Username: Thoban

It appears I am having a very similar problem with my DLP as the one "DS" posted February 25; however, only the top half of my DLP is affected.

I have a Samsung HL-R4266W. Does anyone have any suggestions or a diagnosis? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 20
1-800-522-7341

is the ECR telephone number

someone else gave you the fax.

Dan Sheiner

Also, my service center told me I need either:

1. A new lamp ballast, color wheel, and exhaust fan

OR

2. Light engine.

they completely did not mentions Digital/DMD board.

They are a joke.

I spoke to ECR on Thursday. A woman said that she would call me back. (Ashley)

I called back later that day. I spoke to Grace. She went and talked to Ashley and said that since my TV is nearly 4 years old, (not true) that she would have to talk to her boss who was in a meeting in order to get approval for any action. She said that she would call back on Friday. (she didn't)

I will call back on Monday.

Also, my TV was manufactured July 2003, bought December 2003. The warranty expired December 2004 and the problem started May 2006.

How is that 4 years. When I first called samsung, I had not even owned the TV for three years.

Post Number: 5
I just had my HLP5063 problem diagnosed by the TV place Samsung sent my info to. They spent about 120 seconds looking at the TV and said "yup, it is the light engine. It needs a new light engine." They estimated around $1K. OUCH!

I will be faxing the estimate to Samsung customer care. I will have to say, so far, Samsung has been extremely nice, professional, and helpful. It is wonder to see such a great customer serivce focus. As I am the original owner of the TV, and it is about 2.5 years old, I sure am hoping they do something. Fingers crossed.

(My problem is that the TV was showing ghosting and the biggest problem is that it had trouble wiht any dark areas on the screen. As the TV warmed up, the black/dark areas would actually be a bright red.)

Username: 60adante

Post Number: 8
DS
GHOSTING!
That is what my problem with my HLP5063W last month. My TV is about 25 months old. The DMD board was replaced. The TV is now working good. Samsung was good enough to cover 50% of the cost of the DMD board. The board cost $450. I paid their authorized service technician $225 plus labor and service. I used the advice of FYI to be POLITE and PERSISTENT when talking to SAMSUNG service. Good Luck !

Username: Rob1110

Can anyone direct me to instructions for replacing the lamp ballast for the HLP6163W? I have found some at jangro.com but they are for older models. Any comments about the ease of this job are also appreciated.

Rob

Username: Ag85

Glad to hear that some of you have had good luck with Samsung, as I have not. I have an 18-month old HLR4266W DLP that shuts off after 30-60 seconds with no picture (Lamp light flashes, then stops, then TV shuts off). Technician says it's a bad DMD board, and Samsung has agreed to cover exactly.... $0.

This after more than two weeks of dealing with Samsung customer service, including conversations with at least nine people there and faxing the diagnosis three times to Executive Customer Relations.

Before agreeing to pay $100 for a diagnosis - which took the technician less than 60 seconds to complete - I was assured by one of the "regular" customer service folks that "we take care of our customers" and "we help out a lot - as much as we can."

Today I'm told that it's too far out of warranty (which they've known for two weeks) and that this is not a recurring problem. (Seems like there have been quite a few DMD board problems posted here, though.) They said that if the color wheel had shattered, they would fix that. When I said that I couldn't see paying $700+ to repair an 18-month-old TV (that can be purchased new for $999), she said that these TVs aren't like the old tube TVs we're used to.

So long, Samsung!

Update to my previous post...

After reading through some of the other stories here again, I called Samsung Executive Customer Relations one more time and told them that it appeared that there were recurring problems with the DMD board on the DLP TV - and that Samsung had helped other out-of-warranty customers - so I thought I'd ask again if they could help with the DMD board replacement on my 18-month-old TV.

She put me on hold for a couple of minutes, then said that she would extend the warranty on parts through next month. So I'll have to pay the $250 labor, but they'll cover the $430 DMD board.

And I'll have the technician check out the HDMI connection, which went bad a few months ago - I assumed that it was the DirecTV HD TiVo, but maybe not.

Thanks for inspiring me to call one more time. If they won't help the first time (or three), you might want to try again.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1061
Kewl!

Username: Sarosh

Hi!

Have a three year old Samsung HLP6163W and just changed the lamp a few weeks ago. Everything worked great but yesterday while watching TV the picture turned black. If I turn off the TV for a few minutes (unplug the power) and then start it everything works great for 5-10 minutes and then the picture turns blank/black again.

Any idea what going on?

Thanks!

Sarosh

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
I'd suspect over heating, and I would open up the set and give it a good cleaning out with canned compressed air.

Username: Sarosh

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try that out and let you.

Sarosh

Username: Keith1339

Manchester, Lancashire England

my samsung 42" rear projection makes a squealing noise when powered up and then returns to standby mode

Username: Tomq

Hi guys I also had a lot of problems with my Samsung rear projection TV. I have found great solutions on this site .http://www.fixya.com/support/samsung/projection_televisions.

Username: Shubox56

Great site! I'm new to this site and to the world of Samsung DLP. I purchased my 61" 1080p DLP in Oct 2006, and was WOW'd in the beginning having never seen the Chicago Bears play in 61" of HD splendor. Beyond a few games here and there, I didn't have the time to REALLY critique and I'm now quite unhappy with my purchase. My three problems are as follows:

Pincushion effect! At both the bottom and top of the screen, the vertical lines flare outward. At first I thought that this may be isolated to programming in the 4:3 format, but now I know better. I can live with it when watching 16:9 full-screen HD, but when I toggle over to surf the web or use my new multi-media computer which is hooked up to this TV, it drives me absolutely crazy!!! And it's not just the vertical lines....when you watch a movie that is letter-boxed, you can see that the horizontal line at the top slightly bows as well. I've read things elsewhere that suggests that this is a known issue and there's little that can be done about it. If that's the case, it's unacceptable to me. The pincushion effect doesn't trouble my wife, but it bugs the crap out of me.

Panning issues! When you watch a movie, HD or otherwise, there's an annoying blur or choppiness to scenes that pan from one side of the screen to the other. This can be a horizontal pan or vertical, it doesn't matter. I don't know if this is some type of processor speed issue or what, but it's an even bigger issue that the pincushion. Oddly enough, it's far worse when watching movies than live sporting events. And for the record, it doesn't matter if you're watching an HD movie via DVD or broadcast over Comcast...the result is the same choppy pan issue.

Overscan! This is only a problem when I toggle over to use the computer. If I connect my computer to one of the two HMDI inputs on the TV, the overscan is HUGE. You can not access the minimize buttons at the top of the browser and nor can you access the taskbar at the bottom. Though the picture quality is decent when hooked up via VGA, it was much better with HDMI...if only this overscan issue could be corrected?

Can these issues be resolved? Should these issues exist? Do I own a lemon?

Thanks for listening,

Ken

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Overscan cannot be resolved directly, and is a function of all projection technologies, not your set.

All "projection" sets will overscan. The actual imaging element (DLP, LCD or LCoS) is EXACTLY 1920 x 1080 (or 1280 x 720, for a 720p set). The problem is that this image is projected onto the screen by mirrors and lenses, and they cannot control the projection magnification so precisely as to JUST, EXACTLY fill the screen on the hundreds of thousands of sets coming off the production line. Federal law requires that the screen not have ANY unfilled border (when displaying a full 1920x1080), so the only alternative, since there is no way to precisely hit it exactly, is overscan slightly. However, it's minimal in most sets (3% to 5%), just enough to insure that even in the worst case sets, the screen is filled. The only way to get around having any overscan is with a direct view set (direct view LCD or plasma).

To deal with the overscan, you need to create a custom resolution (something like 1880 x 1040) that will fill the visible screen. You should be able to do this with utilities that come with (or are availalbe for) your video card, but it can be a lot of work.

Pincushion is a function of the projection optics also, and if it's significant enough to be objectionable, you may have a defective set. I'd talk to Samsung about that.

Another update to my HLR4266W problem....

Technician diagnosed it as a bad DMD board, but he brought a replacement digital board, also. He replaced the digital board first, since it's an easier job - and it worked.

Should I be concerned that this board will go bad again? Or was the recurring failure a problem with the N series only?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1064
Thanks for checking back in, Brian.
Congrats on the fix.

I don't believe these failures are model specific anymore. I'd hold on to any information about your repair just in case. You're on record for a faulty board and Samsung will usually stand by it, even beyond the warranty.
Good luck with it!

Username: Various

hey everyone new to this forum and saw a few posts about a couple of ghostly images or a light shade of grey when the screen is all black but no responses. i cant see these palm-sized circles when anything else but black is on the screen. about to call the tech person but dont have a warranty on this set (HL-S6187W) but i do on my first dlp (the original). what could this be and better yet how can i fix it. thanks in advance to whoever can help.

Username: Dokaz

Someone please help me!! I emailed Samsung and also tried to do a live chat with someone, but nothing came through and I found this website thinking maybe someone here can help. Well my problem began back in November when my color wheel needed replacing, we actually got it repaired by a technician and after he was done replacing it we found that our remote wasn't being read by our tv (the side buttons and everything worked on the tv and remote had batteries and such). Then he came back did something and 2 mins. later the remote worked with the tv. Then after a month or so the remote stopped responding again and after we hit the tv in the front panel it started working again and this kept happening for the next few months. Then all of a sudden our tv isn't responding to the remote at all nothing is working. We called the technician and he said he'll have to order parts and keep the tv in his shop for a few weeks and I'm assuming he'll charge like crazy. However, I don't think it'll take him that long since the first time he fixed it in 2 mins and this only starting happening after the color wheel got replaced. So I'm hoping someone please respond and tell me if I can figure out whats wrong with the tv.

Username: Lucamist

Hi, new to this forum. I own an HLM5065W that is just over four years old. Just replaced the lamp for the second time. Still a great picture but now there is flashing white brightness that starts anywhere from 30-90 minutes after the set is turned on. I thought this was described in one other post, but I did not see any response to it. Any ideas, assistance would be greatly appreciated. Lou

Username: Clemens8081

I have the hlp4663w. Right now it has no picture, audio though, and will initially flash LAMP for a couple minutes. It then turns on and off a couple times by itself before shutting off completely. After completely shutting off all three lights (LAMP STAND, BY/TEMP, and TIMER) flash on and off. I replaced the lamp and nothing happened. Is it pretty safe to say that the ballast is at fault here? Thanks

Username: Joshrobillard

Hi all, great forum!
I have a 17 month old HLR5067W that has gone toes up. When I turn it on, I get no picture at all, the "lamp" light flashes 25 or 30 times then it powers itself off. Very similar to Brandon's post from April 16th except I don't get all three lights flashing at the end.

The lamp itself seems to be working, as evidenced by the blinding light coming through the holes in the lamp cover.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Josh

Username: Raoule

Hello

I've got an HCN4226W with a purple streak down the middle of the screen. It's only about 1/4 of an inch wide and it doesn't vary. It actually isn't a big deal, mostly a nuisance. Still, I would like to fix it if I can. I'm attaching an image - apologies for the quality. Any help will be appreciated.Upload

Username: Eoconnor

FYI - I've read enough and heard enough to now feel that the Samsung DLP TVs have a defect in the DMD board technology. The dark black line along the side of your TV from top to bottom seems to happen to way too many customers. I purchased a Samsung DLP TV (HL-R4266W) in October of 2005. By February of 2007 (4 months out of warranty), we noticed a thin black line along the left side of the TV which was growing. The service techs appear to be very familar with the problem - the repair is either a DMD board adjustment(which my serviceman would not guarantee) or replace the entire engine (about $1,000). I dealt with Samsung customer relations and then their executive customer relations (ECR). After several weeks of calls and faxing, the rep told me that Samsung was going to deny the repair because the set was out of Warranty. I tried calling again to plead my case indicating I would pay labor if they pay for the part - nothing. I also sent a letter to Samsung's president & CEO to express my disappointment - no response. The black line has moved from the left of the screen and is now a 7" greyscale line down the middle of my TV. My advice }; don't buy a Samsung! If you do, make sure to get some sort of extended warranty.

Username: Sewercop

Greenfield, WI USA

FYI or ??? - Can you help me?

I have learned alot from this awesome message board and am looking for suggestions to my problems and to obtain more advice from those who have had Samsung Pay/Reimburse for repairs to a TV that was a few months past the warranty expiration. I did not buy the extended service plan hoping that it would be more than 19 months before costly repairs would be needed.

I have a Samsung 61" DLP HLR6167WX TV (bought 9/4/05) that started acting goofy last week. A storm caused my home to lose power (the TV was on and it was plugged into a surge protector. When power came back, the TV turned on and seemed to be OK. But after 4 seconds, the picture would freeze for 12-14 seconds. Then the screen would go blank and the TV would shut off. It would then immediately turn back on again and cycle through the same routine. The only way to make it stop was to unplug the TV from the surge strip. Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

Samsung Customer Service had me hold the power button down for 30 seconds while the TV was off to reset it, but that did not solve the problem. I took it to a Samsung Authorized Service Center and the technician had to consult with Samsung Tech Support to find the problem. Tech Support said that it was a bad Digital Board requiring $471 to replace plus $150-$200 labor.

I have a transaction # from Samsung and faxed all necessary documentation to Shae at Samsung Executive Customer Relations for review with the hopes that the Digital Board problems other have encountered will mean they will pay for all or a part of my repairs.

Can anyone offer me additional advice to ensure that Samsung will help pay for these costly repairs?

This is a great Forum and I hope all of you knowledgeable folks have some info to share with me.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Username: Eoconnor

Sewercop:

It seems your have reached the stage where the ECR will decide to either pay or not pay - in my case they refused to pay even for the parts. Also, ECR never seems to call back; so, you will probably have to call them. The direct phone contact is listed here on this site in one of the messages. Tips from this site and my service repairman say to be polite and don't give up. If they deny your repair, call back - and then again. You stand a better chance if you have different ECR reps review your situation each time. It could make a difference and is worth a try; there are some success stories on this site and my service tech knew of other successes as well. Good luck!

Greenfield, WI USA

I just received notice from the repair shop that Samsung expedited the Digital Board overnight and it was installed this morning. So my TV is repaired (much sooner than expected) and is ready to be picked up, but ECR has not reviewed my request. Should I pay for the entire repair cost, pick it up and hope they will reimburse me for whatever? Or do I let is stay at the shop and hope I get good news? Any advice?

Greenfield, WI USA

Great News. ECR will extend the warranty on the Digital Board and cover that cost. I just need to pay the $200 for Labor, which is alot better than $671. This forum just saved me $471. Now I just have to hope that the TV does not have any other major issues. Thanks to all who posted info. By the way, the person to speak with at ECR is Jennifer; her fax is 1-973-529-0379.

Username: Csmith1942

Spring, TX United States

I changed the lamp in my 6 year old DLP unit about 3 weeks ago. It started out working just fine. Now with in the last few days the picture has gotten dim and the colors are faded. Any ideas?

After much research, I believe I have isolated the problem with my HLR5067W (see original post on 4/17) to either the DMD or the digital board.

In the course of troubleshooting this, I noticed what appears to be a standard DVI cable connecting the digital board to the DMD. Does anyone know if this cable carries a true DVI signal?

If it does, I'm going to try to isolate the problem further by:
1. Connecting a DVI equipped computer monitor to the digital board's DVI output. If I get a picture, then the DMD is the problem.

2. Connecting the DVI output of my computer's video card to the DVI input of the DMD board. If I get a picture, then the digital board is the problem.

Whaddya think? Could this work or am I off in the weeds?

Josh

Username: Cwayfan

Hi, I just wanted to post my story in hopes it's able to help someone out there. I purchased my Samdung 61" HLN617W just under 3 years ago for almost $4,000 (I didn't purchase an extended warranty). About a month ago it started to freeze, giving me the black/white picture. I thought nothing of it because I was able to turn it off and back on and it would work fine. Over the next 2 weeks it became worse to the point I stopped using the tv because it would go frozen after being on for less than a minute. I was upset and got online to see if I could figure out the problem, that's when I came across this forum. After reading posts with similar issues I got a sick feeling in my stomach. I knew my tv had major issues and was skeptical on whether Samsung would stand behind their product not under any warranty. I contacted Samsung (I called the ECS # Dan Sheiner posted in Dec, thank you Dan!!) over 2 weeks ago and the rep gave me a "transaction # and name of the local Samsung certified tech. The tech came out this past Monday and 30 seconds after turning the tv on told me the color wheel and DMD board were gone. He said he would look up the parts and let me know the cost. He also was going to post his findings on Samsungs website under my transaction # so Samsung would know exactly what was going on. He called me the next day (yesterday) and said the color wheel was about $200 & the DMD board about $700-$750 but he could get a "light engine" (which has both of these parts already on it) for about $540. By the way, from the get go I told him I was going to deal with Samsung about getting them to pay for the part....he wasn't to optimistic about that, said he's never seen them cover parts this far out of warranty. So I called Samsung this morning and the lady pulls up my file. She puts me on hold for about 30 seconds and then tells me they will cover half the part. I thank her politely and then explain my thought process on the matter. I tell her for the amount I paid and the use I received from my tv I felt cheated. I told her I knew about the problems these tvs had and frankly thought they should cover the whole cost of the part. She put me on hold for another 30 seconds and then said they would cover this part this one time. I was completely shocked and also very excited! I thanked her again and then called the repair guy. He's going to come out early next week to fix my tv! Just a few things to pass along....1-I want to thank everyone, especially FYI, in this forum who gave me the knowledge to handle this situation. 2-I was very polite and never raised my voice to the ECS reps, I feel this helped a bit 3-I am the original owner and have the receipt although they never asked for it 4-be persistent, like FYI has said many times in this forum, and always believe they will helped, attitude is everything! Thanks again to everyone in here and again to FYI, thanks!!!! Ben

Username: Sjones1

Just wanted to share my experience...
I had a simliar color issue over the span of 2-4 weeks. Eventually the blinking lights of death came on and my Samsung didn't come back on. I contacted Samsung and they told me: 1) bad lamp 2) TV is not under warranty.

I could 1) spend $200 for a new lamp 2) pay a "qualified technician" to come and diagnose my TV (probably another $200!)

Looked around and found the lamp on google from Discount-Merchant.com for $129!! It's an original Philips lamp. I don't know how Samsung can me charging so much! the lamp didn't come with the enclosure but there is a guide online at: fixyourdlp.com that tells you how to replace it.

Anyway, Samsung=Terrible Customer Service! I spent over $2,000 and my TV goes out in under 2years and I f*#ked. I'm glad I found the lamp online though!

S. Jones

Username: Sjones1

If anyone is interested, I found the link to where I bought it...apparently they still have the best price on them:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Samsung-HLM437W1X-OEM-Replacement-LAMP-BULB-p/s amsung-bp96-00826a-lamp.htm&Click=1466

Looks like they have lamps for other models and brands too

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 16
Steve,
We buy almost all of our lamps from discount-merchant.com ... They have great and FAST service and they only ship OEM Philips bulbs for the Samsung TVs.

They come highly recommended and their prices are unbeatable.

Username: Ql_austin

I have similar case with Ben. I am original owner of a HLN467W since 10/03. The frozen picture of black and white happened today and googled over internet last 10 hours. This is the most helpful crowd as far as I can see.
Now I have two options:
1. Go Ben's route, call Samsung and plead the case, wait for tech to come over, wait for Samsung to accept the charge, wait for tech to fix it. Probably won't have TV over the Summer.
2. Order the digital BP94-00385A ($299) and replace it myself. Have the TV back by next weekend.
My question is that what is the odd that my problem won't be fixed by the digital board? I would probably be in deeper hole because Samsung may void warranty (no left anyway) and have two functional boards and a dead TV.
FYI, what is your opinion?
Ben, did they replace whole engine or just the digital board in your case? I don't understand how color wheel involed here. Color wheel is fine and still quiet when the set worked.
Thanks in advance for you all advices.

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 40
Quang,
I would recommend just changing the digital board. I think you've done your research correctly. The complete optical engine should not need replacement. The DBoard should do the trick, however, there is that slight chance that the problem will consist in a different area.

Good luck.

Post Number: 6
Well, all I can say is that Samsung has a customer for life. As noted on this board, my 2.5yr old HLP5063W failed. It had red blocks where black should be, or shadows should be. After about a month of working with Samsung customer relations, Samsung exceeded my expectations.

I did have a tech come up, but in the end, Samsung took back my TV and replaced it with a brand new 2007 HLT5075S. They charged me $300 shipping. It came in perfect condition in about 10 days.

This is the kind of ownership and customer service that will get them a customer for life. Thanks Samsung, and this board for the help.

Username: Ql_austin

DS, congrats. I assumed that your warranties were also expired, right?.

I spent an hour with Samsung and their ECS but no help. They insisted I checked cables and called cable company. I told them that DVD player and Wii had same problems. But they said that they can't act on speculative problem (DMD board). They gave me the number of a service chains that served Austin, but cleared that I will have to pay for it.

My hand will on trigger for the digital board. Restock fee is 30% if web-wisdom is wrong :-) Do anyone know if I need to upgrade firmware if I change this board?

Username: Cwayfan

Quang Le, Color wheel had nothing to do with black/white freeze, it was just shot. The tech said it was cheaper for me to replace the whole light engine ($550~) because it was cheaper than getting the DMD board ($700) and color wheel ($200~) seperately. Like I said earlier, I had no problems with the Samsung ECS reps and was actually surprised at how easy it was to get them to pay for the part. As for you being out of tv for the summer, I was out about 3 weeks and that's only because it took the tech 2 weeks to come out to diagnose the tv and another week before he got the part and was back here fixing it. I wish you the best of luck....don't give up on ECS, try again and talk to another rep!!!!! Be persistant and polite until you get the answers you want!!!

Username: Rentderf

Help, turned on the TV and the "Lamp" light flashes and after about 25 seconds the set turns off. The TV is a HLR5067W, Samsung 50" DLP.
The fans does sound like it starts and the lamp turns on as I can see it in the back of the set, but no picture or sound.

Username: Nremtp

Fuquay varina, NC United States

Hello all, I have a samsung HLR5067 that I purchased in march of 2006. The last of may2007 I started having trouble turning it on. I would hear it chime and the lamp light would blink the fan would come on but the lamp wouldn't light up. After this cycle for three times it would just stop trying and the three lights on the front would flash. I replaced the lamp and the lamp ballast and now it works about one time in ten. Any ideas of where to turn to next?

Dwayne

Username: Wolfganggullich

Seaside, CA

Hey FYI,
after reading a lot of posts on here you seem like the guy to ask.
I've got a Sammy HL-R5067WX that has given me a couple years of really good service. The TV was built in May '05 and I purchased it in Sept '05.
The lamp is just now starting to show signs that it is going to need replacing soon.

As of about close to 2 mos ago, it started having a weird color ghosting problem. It does this on HD and video games (have a Nintendo Wii that runs 480p), but not on regular cable channels (well, DishNetwork satellite) or DVDs.

The DVD and Satellite run through component video and the Wii runs through a normal yellow video cable, but I don't see how the input would matter as technically, the HD and reg res channels are coming into the TV on the same component cable.

Today, I opened her up and dusted out the lamp area and around the color wheel and then went into the service menu and reset the color. And within 10 minutes, it started it's games again.

The colors that are affected are bright bluey whites, blues, reds and occasionally greens. Please tell me my tv doesn't need a new engine. I plan on changing the lamp but I know that's not the problem. Could this be the DMD board problem rearing it's ugly head?

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Fred,

I had the exact same problem with the exact same TV and it turned out to be the digital board. The service manual pointed to the DMD board but replacing it did not correct the problem. After putting the original DMD back in and replacing the digital board, all was well. Sears parts has the best prices for parts that I could find.

Good luck,

Josh

Seaside, CA

FYI,
just some additional info on this problem...when the problem started, we would mess with the inputs trying to clean the contacts off and it would fix it temporarily.

Username: Tomas090

Portland, Maine Usa

Post Number: 7
This one is going to be hard to believe

Purchased a Samsung DLP HL-S5686W from Best Buy in May of 2006

Imeediately noticed "lip synch " problems, but thouight it might be cable issue

Called cable and they played with it for a couple months with no result

Found out Best Buy doesn't give a shii about customer post 90 days.

Called Samsung for help

After 12 weeks trying to find a repair shop near Portland Maine, Tony's TV out of Portsmouth NH was contacted by Samsung. they didn't call me, but I called Samsung again and they asked me to call Tony's

After going around the barn, Tony's agreed to show up 70 miles to my home on a Friday morning at 9am(Only day they do Maine :-( ) I got up at 7:15 AM and found a message from Tony's saying "I called and you didn't answer so I am not coming to Portland. (We had a standing 9am appointment and I took day off from work), no idea why he had to verify at 7 in morning!

We tried to schedule 2 more appointments over 4 weeks, but do to my often having to be in Court, it didn't work.

I finally called Tony's in February and they sarcastically said "Oh, we thought your problem was resolved and sent the parts back to Samsung (Main board or something)

I said it didn't repair itself, what was I supposed to do now.

"You have to contact Samsung again"

I called Samsung who also thought Tony's said they had solved problem, but said they would send new work order to Tony's along with parts

For 5 weeks I called Tony's only to get "We received fax but no parts"

I called Samsung one Monday and miraculously Tony's called that same day to set an appointment for 3 weeks later on a Friday at 9am.

Same thing, message on my phone at 7:05 am saying "We are not coming", you didn't answer phone? What happened to 9 am appointment.

Samsung gets calls from me and I tell them just how unhappy I am

Two days later I get message from my girlfriend: "Please come home, a man called an left a message on machine that has me scared and nervous"

It was Tony's TV saying I raked them over the coals with Samsung, they would do no service on my TV, they would advise other shops of my "troublesome nature" and I would be sorry for getting them in trouble with Samsung along with threats I won't post in public

Reports to Portland and Portsmouth NH Police followed

Contacted Samsung with story, they escalated to Executive CS.

Three weeks later, nothing, I call every day and get "I will call back within 24 hours, never happens.

Finally I get a call back and am told to contact a TV shop in Rockland Maine, 80 miles to the North. I keep trying but no answer. I check the number and it is someones home, apparently this guy fixes TV's "On the side"

Call Samsung again and Carlsons TV calls me

Well, Carlsons's TV finally shows and says "I can See nothing wrong with TV" (The whole issue is the voice does not sync properly with lips,) especially on HD Channels (I have had 3 cable boxes and 2 surround systems, it does it with internal and external sound)

I don't know what to do now, warranty just expired, TV has not worked since day 1, I have been threatened and harassed by Sanmsung's agent and have a $3,000.00 TV that rots

Samsung is not helping, repair guy is, well I think he should be repairing old Silvertones and Best Buy doesn't know my name

I guess my best option is to file a complaint with Attorney General for Maine

BTW, it is a DLP HL-S5686W

I have had hard time following thsi site, if anyone would care to copy/paste any replies to this rather odd story please send to thomasd@maine.rr.com

Seaside, CA

I love my ornery Samsung! My wife fiddled with the input board (ie she wiggled it) and the picture went back clear with all colors correct without the dazzling. If it does it again, I'm going to take the cover off and reseat the connections inside. If that doesn't work, I'm guessing my input board will need replacing, but at least that's not a $600 DMD

Username: Jmerti

Bethesda, MD USA

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but i'm hoping you can help me. I have a HLN507W1X/XAA samsung 50" DLP tv. I just replaced the lamp due to the old one dying and it worked fine for a couple weeks. Now there is an intermittent flickering problem where the brightness of the screen will vary for a minute or so then operate normally, then vary again, operate normally, etc. The varying intensity can probably best be described as a the effect of looking at a light that's behind a fast moving fan. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is it the lamp or one of the other 3 boards in this thing? I'm reluctant to call a repair shop due to the problem's intermittent nature. They may come out and i won't be able to reproduce the problem and will then have wasted the diagnostic fee. Please help!

Username: Jmerti

Bethesda, MD USA

I should probably also have mentioned that the problem occurs across inputs (cable box through component, Wii through component, and DVD through DVI).

Username: Hvypetals

I have a SAMSUNG HLR5067W and the other day I turned it on and the text for the TV Guide and Component Windows was gibberish/scrambled and there was no picture or sound.

So I turned it off. Unplugged it. And then turned it on. Now I have picture but no sound, sound isnt even an option in the menu. The TV speakers dont work and the digital out doesnt work.

Every other power up I get the text that is gibberish again.

What do you guys think the problem is? The TV is just over a year old and im the original owner.

Thank you very much in advance.

Username: Nyoung314

Nashville, TN

Hi there, new to the forum. Just got a new Samsung HLS5688W and I love it. Got a HD box from Comcast and tried hooking it up tonight. Works fine on the component cables they provided, but they are low-quality and you can tell. We bought a DVI to HDMI cable because the box only has DVI out (not HDMI out), and plugged into the HDMI 1 input on the Samsung. When I switch to that input, I get a great quality picture for about 3 seconds, then it flashes to white snow, then proceeds to flash between the actual picture and the white snow about every half of a second. Audio is fine and is not affected by this flashing picture.

Called Comcast and they of course don't think it's anything to do with their box. But the DVI to HDMI cable is brand new, it's a Philips brand and cost $30. So I doubt it's the cable...any suggestions on what to try? We've tried plugging it into the HDMI 2 input on the Samsung, same thing happens. I really want to figure this out since the quality is so much better with the HDMI input than the component cables.

I don't know what else to try other than to buy a different DVI to HDMI cable, or get Comcast to let me try another box, but I'd rather not have to play that game if I am just missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
It's not the cable, I think you just have to accept that the DVI output on this cable box is incompatible with the HDMI input on this TV. I'd try another cable box (even if it's the same model and still DVI), but some models of cable boxes with DVI outputs just will not work with some TVs. [The problem COULD BE that the DVI output is not HDCP compliant].

Possible good news: In July, by law, your cable company is going to have to let you get (buy) your own cable box of your choosing from your choice of sources. You won't be limited to the cable boxes that they supply. [They will be required to supply you with a "cable card" to go into the non-Comcast cable box.]

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Jay Diggity:

Re: "What do you guys think the problem is?"

The problem is that you didn't get an extended warranty.

Username: Mgrunr

Prescott, AZ

Hi folks,
I have been reading the posts to correct my problem of Black & white frozen screen. My Question is since it appears to be the digital board, has anyone replaced it and not had the problem fixed?
I have a 4 year old HLN4365W that is giving me the problem. I'm not sure what Samsung will do for such an old set but of you think back what the cost was then.......
Thanks
Mike

Username: Mgrunr

Prescott, AZ

Hello,
I was sure I would get at least one "it worked for me response."

New Question: A new board (digital DMD / BP94-00385A) would cost approximately $450, a new lamp since I have been doing a lot of powering off by pulling the plug after it freezes with the black and white screen and it's four years old another $150. So for $780 I can get a HL-S4266W delivered. For $1040 I can get a HL-T4675S delivered. I believe that the "T" is the newest generation. So what are anyone's thoughts?

A- repair the old set(great picture when it works), cost $600.

B- spent $780 for the 42 inch newer unit.

C- go for the latest generation unit which is a 46 inch set but only one inch wider and six inches narrower but more expensive at $1040.

Thank you in advanced for any thoughts you have.
Mike

Username: Geneo

First of all, let me say this is an awesome forum and I hope you can shed some light on my problem.

I have a Samsung HLR5067WAX. When I first turn it on it has a good picture but after a few minutes all the dark areas of the picture start pixilating green. This happens on both component hookups(i.e. cable box and dvd) Sometimes it will stop on its on but usually starts up again within a few minutes. It is out of warranty, any thoughts on what it could be and should I try to fix it or just buy a new TV?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us