How to Extend an RS232 Cable

Bronze Member
Username: Flu_guy

Post Number: 35
Dear All

What with the bins changing so much these days, I decided today to make an extension for my RS232 uploading cable. Now I can leave the FLU where it is, under the TV, and program it without disconnecting anything.

All you need are a couple of 9pin D connectors, 1 male and one female and some 4 conductor phone wire, (the solid core stuff, sometimes called "Quad"). I made mine about 25 feet, but longer would probably still work. You only need 3 conductors, just interconnect pins 2, 3 & 5, and leave the spare wire open. Use it to extend your existing cable, (doesn't matter which type), and plug the far end into the STB, now do your upload in the usual way.

I used this with my FLU tonight, and it worked perfectly, it was so much easier I cannot think why I didn't do this before!

All the best
Htiek

Bronze Member
Username: Ncx

Post Number: 66
Good thinking :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 7026
You can also buy an extension cord DB9 M/F straight RS232 of length of your choice.

Bronze Member
Username: The_coders

Post Number: 34
the 4th wire you didn't connect should be used for the case ground (metal oval ring around pins)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
The Coders:

Good point, but I don't think it usually matters...

htiek

Gold Member

Post Number: 7047
Could one of you guys help with non-functioning serial port? Thanks.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/433385.html

Silver Member
Username: Kirankumar

Kenya

Post Number: 821
htiek,
you said you had 1 male and 1 female connector,i thought we need both to be the same , i might be wrong

Gold Member

Post Number: 7052
He made an "make an extension for my RS232"
An extension cord is always M/F.

Silver Member

Kenya

Post Number: 823
oh ok that makes sense.thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Free_tver

Post Number: 22
anyone have any ideas for a non-functional serial port on my 2700a???

Silver Member
Username: Scabz

Knoxville, Tn Us

Post Number: 289
I used a usb extension that Ive had for about 4 years now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Free TVer:

Tell me more ... How do you know that it is the 2700A that is faulty?

Htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
African:

The nice thing about making an extension is that it will work with any kind of RS232 connection, be it Null-Modem or Straight-Through. You can even chain them together, if one isn't long enough.

htiek

Silver Member

Kenya

Post Number: 840
Thanks, i need one

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
i have two other boxes that will update the bin just fine. this box will not respond to any command via the serial port, wether its with another pansat or my computer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
FREE TVer:
Hmm ...
Presumably the 2700A is alive in all other respects and the other boxes are the same type, (not a wrong cable type issue)?
htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
yes cable is good and the one stb that i am refering to works in all other aspects that one would expect of a pansat 2700 except for the serial port to load the bin.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
FREE TVer:

Okay
Check the RS232 connector for busted or bent pins.
Take the box apart and check that the connector is properly soldered to the PCB and that there are no dry joints or cracked tracks. Buzz out the connections with an ohmmeter if you have one.
There should be tracks from pins 2, 3 which probably go to some resistors and then on to the RS232 tranceiver IC, check these circuits with the ohmmeter too.
Look closely for other signs of damage or chips that are abnormally hot, (compare with other box).
If you cannot see anything obvious, then perhaps the tranceiver IC is fried.

htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
FREE TVer:

Okay
Check the RS232 connector for busted or bent pins.
Take the box apart and check that the connector is properly soldered to the PCB and that there are no dry joints or cracked tracks. Buzz out the connections with an ohmmeter if you have one.
There should be tracks from pins 2, 3 which probably go to some resistors and then on to the RS232 tranceiver IC, check these circuits with the ohmmeter too.
Look closely for other signs of damage or chips that are abnormally hot, (compare with other box).
If you cannot see anything obvious, then perhaps the tranceiver IC is fried.

htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
FREE TVer:

I had another thought, it's a long shot but I have been caught by it before.

If the ground conductor in the cable is open, (pin 5) it may still work in certain circumstances, (if both boxes are grounded via the AC cord and the digital grounds are internally connected to the chassis), so check the cable out any way. Pins 2,3 and 5 should be connected, end to end.

htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Sorry, I posted twice by accident.

htiek
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us