Clueless About Fortec (and computers)

Username: Melaniej

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I'm newly registered, but I've been visiting here for a couple/few years. So, I don't really feel new.
I usually come in to find codes, and try to keep somewhat updated.

We (my husband and I) have a FortecStar Lifetime Ultra (FLU) unit. Neither of us is familiar enough with the unit (or even the computer) to know how to do updates, etc..
A friend (the guy who suggested FTA and Fortec) has always done that for us, therefor, I don't even know much about our unit other than it's never been converted.
And since our friend's computer went down last week, and he hasn't replaced it, and says he doesn't know when/if he will, I'll have to try to learn how to do some updates.

I've read until my eyes have bled, but I'm still not sure of what I'm supposed to do. I seem to get confused while reading the threads here, as there seems to be a lot of chaos in between posts.

Here's what I'm working on, and I'm hoping someone will let me know whether I'm going in the right direction -

I've downloaded these three things:

Intructions File: [link removed]
Fortec STAR Loader: [link removed]
Boot File and Flash File: [link removed]

From this post:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/389206.html

Although, I can no longer find them (not on desktop).

But, when I tried the boot I got this message:

Windows cannot open this file.

File: b75_m.bin

To open this file Windows needs to know what program created it.
Etc..

I have no clue what it means or how to fix, although I did follow the instructions to search online, but I had no clue what I was looking for. Thought I might know if I saw it.

Of course, I received that message after following this instruction:

- Open the FortecSTARSTB loader and select the boot file (b75_m.bin)

So, that's as far as I got with it.

I'd appreciate anyone with the patience to help a computer and FTA illiterate. And, am sorry to say I've no advice, etc. to offer in return.

I've also already loaded the Chancysand 220T; it's on my desktop, and assume I will need it.

Thank you.

Bronze Member
Username: Dure

Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 100
Try BL 1.4.0.0 downloader available in dssrookie.com

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 13424
U do NOT "open".bin files...U only "open" .zip and .rar files... and then using winrar (free available at www.win-rar.com) utility program , U EXTRACT the .bin file from the .zip or .rar file...then U LOAD the .bin file with the loader (either the STARSTB or BL v 1.4 loaders) using the directions/instructions provided also within the original .zip file, in a .txt or .doc format

Post Number: 2
Viswaa Dure, LK,

Thanks for taking time to help.

I've written all the information down.
Of course, I'm unfamiliar with much of the shop talk. I've never had to do this before.

I'm going to study and search a little to try to become a little more accustomed before rushing into a conversion.

As soon as I'm comfortable enough to try the conversion, I'll update you know how it goes.

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Dr_dss

Post Number: 270
Only open zip and rar files huh

So I guess I don't open, Firefox to surf the web.

I guess I don't open, Open Office to run Calc

Okee Melanie :-)

Open the FortecSTARSTB loader and select the boot file (b75_m.bin)

Means execute/"open" the FortecSTARSTB loader

It is the program you need to "OPEN" the .bin file inorder to flash the reciever

Now if you have lost them "OPEN" windows search then using the query below

"b75 boot*.*" no quotes

should find the location of you downloaded files.

Now "open" your browser and goto

ftabins.net

join the site using a free web base email account like Yahoo or Hotmail to make a account.

They have the FortecSTARSTB loader which you need.

Gold Member
Username: Ryersonresurrected

CANADA Charlatan...

Post Number: 1065
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Pulp_fiction

Post Number: 33
Upload

Post Number: 3
Dr DSS,

Thank you for taking time to help.

I ran the search and came up with no returns.

The FortecStarsTB was in one of the three links I provided originally.

I realize how simple this must look to people who know what they're doing. And, even after reading around, the electronics language is pretty alien to me.

My son has a friend who dabbles with this stuff, although he has a Neusat. But, he is fairly knowledgable with Fortec because he had that first.
He doesn't live around here anymore, but comes to visit, and I've asked my son to give him a call and request an earlier visit. If that's not possible, then I'll likely start thinking about it again in a few days.

I have some (of what I think I need) on my desktop, so hopefully that'll be a little help. I'll also copy this thread, so he can read it, which I hope will be helpful.

I've also downloaded the Winrar that LK suggested.

Thanks, again, to everyone for trying to help.

Ryerson,

Yes, I'm clueless.
It's embarrassing to come to a place where people know a lot about a topic, and have to ask for help. I knew I was likely diving into a shark tank.

thill 1951,

I've read around here enough to know the problems and chaos between many posters. I don't care what goes on between the rest of you.

I asked for help, and if someone is kind enough to offer legitimate help to a person who knows nothing, then I don't care which of you it is, I'm still thankful to anyone who'll take the time to do it.
I have no qualms with any of you.

I have to assume your message is aimed at me. Not helpful, but thank you anyway for your two cents - I'll see that you get your change.

Silver Member
Username: Dr_dss

Post Number: 279
I was reading what you wrote about the guy who was doing it for and how his system went down. I'm at a lost as why you can't have him come over and maybe show you how to update your STB using your computer.

Post Number: 4
Dr DSS,

That's a good question.

The guy who has always kept us updated doesn't know a whole lot about them (my opinion), a lot more than myself of course, but he was as new to them as we were a few years ago.
He has been walked-through the steps from the beginning by the guy who sold him the receivers (which I believe were preloaded). It was a courtesy thing considering he bought about a dozen receivers from him.
But, as I said, he already knew a little because he's messed with similar electronics.

When I told him that everything I've been reading was suggesting a definite conversion, he said 'no'; he refused to convert them, and Fortec would eventually get a bin. (He hadn't been reading because his computer had been giving him fits a long time before it crashed).

Finally, I think he's come to terms with the idea, so he came on Sunday, and messed around on my computer (which is a dinosaur), and finally got mad and left.
No, I don't think he has a clue (more than I do naturally), and will eventually go to the guy who walks him through the steps, but as I said, I don't know how long that'll be now that his computer's gone down.

And when someone says things like Blacklist, bin, boot, etc., he's already going to know what they're talking about. I've read many of the words for some time now, but that doesn't mean I know how they're applied. I'm learning (if I'm learning) from scratch.

My son's friend doesn't need the walkthrough - he's wicked smart with this stuff. Of course, now that I've said that, I'm sure he'll have problems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us