Sony Grand WEGA KF60XBR800 loud noise and white spot

Mike
Hello All,

My new Sony Grand WEGA LCD Projection TV was delivered yesterday. This TV is very impressive. However, I am rather disappointed to find out that there is a loud noise coming from the TV. The noise is very noticeable when the volume is below 3-4 level. It sounds like a loud fan and some other humming noise. Has anyone noticed the same? Is this normal or there is something wrong with my set?

Another thing that I noticed was while the TV is off there is a white spot in the middle of screen. Again, is this supposed to be normal on the LCD TV?

I appreciate any feedback.

Mike

The white spot is abnormal. Get them to fix or replace your model. As far as the noise is concerned there may be a fan because of the lamp it uses to project the 3 LCD images. I hadn't notice it before but I will check it out. Just a note in case you weren't told. you will have to change that bulb from time to time. probably every year to year and a half for I'm told $200.

Mike
I have been doing some research about the life time of the bulb and I read that bulb needs to be replaced every 5000 hours which is about 4-5 years. I would have bought the extended warranty if I knew had to replace the bulb every year.

It will be very helpful if you check it out and let me know about the noise coming out from the back of the TV. I am planning to call SONY and discuss the noise issue. However, I would like to hear some feedback from others first.

Anonymous
Mike, the average bulb life is 5-7K hours. So depending on how much it will be used, it should last you at least two years. You can also find the bulbs for around $150.

I wouldn't buy a big screen today without the extended warranty as long as it includes service. There is no way to keep the picture the same every year without regular maint.

Mike,

The fan noise is normal on this set. The lamps are cooled via this method. Your users manual explains this issue. However, the white spot is not normal. I contacted Sony about this myself, and other picture quality or abnormality issues as well. They helped me solve some of my concerns with spots. Most of them dealt with interference with other electronic devices in the same area as the set. Try to unplug the set for a while to is another step you can try. I posted this information as it came from Sony on the other XBR thread as well.

As far as the extended service contract: It's a waste of money. As with all extended service contracts, you could end up paying for 2-3 lamp changes with the money shelled out for this futile fee, for example. Keep your money in your own pocket and, on the VERY RARE misfortune that you'd have needed it, the money you saved on the extended warrentee, and the combined other funds you've saved on opting out of other extended service contracts, you could take a nice Europien Vacation.

See you in Spain,

Timba

I see more TVs unpacked defective out of the box then ever before. Now sure you can return it immediately for an exchange(as long as it was an authorized dealer) but how many of them have problems you don't notice in the first month? How many are lemons? I have never seen somebody so happy as someone who has gotten a new tv when their 4 1/2 year old rca 48 inch tv couldn't be repaired and they were given a new 55 inch wide screen HDTV because RCA doesn't make thingamajiggers anymore. Don't believe me. Check out what Home Theater Magazine has to say about it. I am not saying you should get a guarranty on everything and not even from anyone. Only if the written guarranty has provisions for certain things. Regular service is good because a repair tech can get into a service menu and do up to 128 point convergence on some TVs. Cleaning the lenses and mirrors on a semi-regualar basis is a very good thing (depending on where you live you may need it more or less often, I live in one of the dustiest towns in the U.S) because elecronics attract dust.
I don't get it on everything, just the things I know I'll use it on, Camcorders( for too many reasons to list) Big screens ( cause I can't afford to buy another and to keep quality of picture)
Remember the manufacturer has a vested interest in not making products last forever. You used to be able to get TVs with a 5 year manufacturers warranty. Some of those companies went out of business because their customers didn't need new TVs anymore. And if the manufacturer thought it would last that long why don't they want to be responsible for it? Money. In order to compete with lower prices they cut corners, they cut warranties.
Look if you aren't that interested in keeping the same picture you paid for originally and don't wan't to be protected in case something goes wrong then don't get it. If you easily get bored and always like to buy new things, don't get it. If you are giving it as a gift and aren't sure if you like the person, don't get it. If you want it to have the best picture for as long as possible and are willing to pay $400 more if they had a better model with a slight improvement in the picture anyway then get it because in a year that is what you have, a better model with a better picture than your friend who got the "lower model" because his picture quality is slightly diminished. In 2 years this disparity becomes greater, and so forth.

This is only true with dealers that have comprehensive guarranties that include service and No-Lemon clauses. Do not buy and extended warranty that does nothing but extend the manufacturers worthless warranty.

Only my opinion. Whatever you get, Good Luck and enjoy.

Mike
Timba,

Thanks for your feedback. I found the section on the manual that talks about the cooling fan noise. I am looking into replacing that with a noiseless fan. Any idea?

I have the KF-60DX100 for about 11 months now and have recently noticed a noise/buzz that is noticeable below volume level 3 (driving me nuts as its high pitched). Its not the fan noise as it goes away when the LCD/Lamp turns off and the fan is still running.

Crossing my fingers as i'm going to call Sony.

VICTOR
I JUST GOT 60XBR800 LAST WEEK. THE WHITE SPOT ON THE SCREEN IS BECAUSE TO MUCH LIGHT/GLARE IN THE ROOM.THIS TV'S SCREEN IS COVER WITH PROTECTIVE COATING(ANTI GLARE) THAT MINIMIZE ALL THE LIGHTS AND REFLACTION IN YOUR ROOM.IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY WINDOWS IN THE ROOM YOU GONNA SEE SMALL WHITE SPOT ON THE SCREEN VS. A WHOLE REFLACTION OF LIGHT.YOU WON'T SEE THIS SPOT DURING NIGHT.RIGHT NOW I'M NOT HEARING ANY NOISE FROM MY TV. I HAVE DISH NETWORK WITH ALL LOCAL CHANELS,BUT PICTURE IS NOT THAT GREAT, BUT ON PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD THE PICTURE IS WOW!!!! GREAT.RIGHT NOW ONLY 13 CHANELS ARE BROADCASTING HDTV PROGRAMMING SO NO NEED TO BUY HDTV TUNER NOW. IN THE FUTURE MAY BE.

Anonymous
Mike, did you resolve your issue with the white spot on the screen? I have a very slight white spot noticeable when the tv is off and sometimes when there is a very dark scene. I went to the local cc and their set on the floor did not have it, though there was quite a bit of light sources that would induce it. I did notice that the Samsung DLP next to it and one other rear projection TV did have a similiar spot to what you and I have (white haze in a spot or vertically running down the center). The spot is obviously due to reflected light, but I agree with previous posts that it should not be there if all other sets don't have the problem. Another thing I noticed about the set at cc was that the plastic front screen was much "wavier" than mine. It is a very thin sheet of plastic. Given the numerous peculiarities these sets seem to exhibit, I would highly recommend the extended warranty. I am in fact having cc replace my screen this week, six months after purchase, as I have found wipe and drip marks on the backside of the screen. See if you can get Sony to do that under warranty--you can't even get through on the warranty line.

Mike,
i got my tv about 2 month ago and was also very disapointed with the loud noise of the cooling fan. I have to keep the volume low becuase the kids are sleeping. The noise is very annoying. Sony came last week to replace it with a "silent fan". It did not help at all. In fact, i think it made the matter worse.
Did you reslove this problem since July?

hi all does anyone resolve their problems? i'm about to buy one of them but i would like to be sure of it.

Dave,

I've peeked in on this thread over a period of time and I can't quite understand the "problem with noise" on this set. The only time I've heard this fan noise is upon turning the set completely off there upon hearing the cool down of the TV for a minute, then all is well.

Of course, my set is in a larger room and it could be that the fan noise is just absorbed by the room; I can't be sure. But, in my opinion, you'd really have to be "up close and personal" and the sound level so low that fan would drown out the volume. That's just not the way I watch TV myself.

Timba

urbancowboy
well i had my 50e610 lcd rear projection grand wega now little over 6 weeks and the bulb went. not too impressed to say the least, when they say good for about 8000 hrs. its going to take who knows how long for the bulb as it is on back order from ca. about 400 bucks cdn. good thing for warranty

John Schaffer
We just purchased a 42" Grand Vega and after 3 weeks it is a guessing game if the the tv will turn on when the power button is pushed.

Any ideas????

Steph Mathers
I purchased A Grand Vega 50"(50e610) Nov.15th/03...
Well I may not have, If I had known that the set would not turn on two weeks later. It seems that the bulb has "burned out" or so the indicator on the front seems to suggest. Every time I try to turn it on (In hope that it will actually come on) I hear a "crackling/static" sound from the set for a short period of time.
Should I be considering returning this TV?

urbancowboy
your bulb is burnt out. follow the manual and take out the bulb to check it. if the red light is steady then the problem is with the bulb. it is nothing to change just getting the bulb is the hard part as they are on back order... they say it should last 8000 hrs but like anything else guess they don't from time to time

steph-i don't know if the grand wega is a dud of tv or not, but i too had the indicator light come on saying that the bulb burned out in the first few weeks. i decided to exchange the tv for another grand wega (a replacement should be delivered in a week). hopefully, i made the right choice and that will correct the problem. in case it doesn't, i'm glad that i purchased an extended warranty with the tv.

Steph Mathers
Thanks for the info...
I have a replacement bulb coming in two days. We are going to try this fix. They have offered to replace the set, but I am willing to try the bulb replacement first.
Urbancowboy;
You state that the red light "steady" on condition indicates that the bulb is burned. But in this case the LED is flashing. Does this possibly indicate another problem?
Also, is there anyway of checking the condition of the bulb outside of the set, for proper functionality?

I too am having the problem with the "power on guessing game." Typically it takes about 20-30 tries b4 it turns on. I am on my third set and am returning it for the fourth. It sounds like this is a major quality problem on Sony's part. I'm going to attempt to contact the the manufacturer. Wish me luck.

I called Sony's Customer Support line about the power problem. I spoke w/Mike (Rep ID cuq6. He told me there was no record of this problem and recomended that I ask all of you experiencing this problem to call the customer support line @ 1-800-222-7669. My "Event ID" is E23137728. Just to clarify, my model is also the 42' Grand Wega model # KF42WE610. Good luck folks!

John Schaffer
We are waiting for a replacement for our 42" Grand Wega because it will not turn on. (well it will when the mood strikes it) I took David's advice and called Sony their response was that they have no knowledge of any such problem.

Steph Mathers
I Back...I just finished talking to the store where I had purchased my 50" vega, and they say that they have talked to Sony about the "Bulb issue." It seems that Sony is telling them that there is a problem with a resistor used as a part of the circuit to sense that the bulb is function properly. Sony has advised them to replace this resistor but of course this item is back ordered. So...Instead of a bulb or resistor replacement on Thursday(Dec 4th/03) I will be recieving a replacement set.
For those of You who are having a simliar problem You might want to call Sony customer support and mention this.
Hopefully this set will last longer then 2 weeks?

Unregistered guest
Looks like we all have been hosed by Sony. I have a Sony KF42WE610 Grand Wega and my problem seems to be similar to the 50 inch TV that Steph Mathers references above. The lamp indicator on the front of the tv stays lit which would indicate the bulb is out. I want to call Sony but they are closed on Sundays. Just made my first payment and the TV is about 6 weeks old. That resistor problem Mathers talks about has my curiosity. Also, when I first turn it on I hear a "whirring" sound coming from the left. Wonder if that's normal or a sympton of the failure. Also, I do have to sometimes hit the remote several times to get the TV to turn on. Sounds like Sony needs to consider a huge recall. Comments/ Suggestions?

Anonymous

I purchased the sony 30 inch lcd xbr900 6 months ago and it has been replaced by the retailer but I,m donating my $5000 tv to a charity because sony won,t own up to the excessive fan noise problem an it,s driving us nuts. After 30 years of sony purchases I,m done with sony

Anonymous

BT, I too own a Sony KF42WE610, its making the same whirring sound from the left. I've got a service tech coming out today to look at however reading the previous posts I'm not confident it will be fixed in a timley manner.

Happy New Year, not!!!

Username: Snakeyes

Post Number: 7
Hi all just to clarify it seems most of you who are having the problems have xxWE610 models as apposed to the xbr model correct? and is there something to that? is that why the WE model is cheaper than xbr it is poorer quality? just an observation.

Anonymous

A few comment that might help many.

"Power on guessing game" was mentioned by someone in another thread -they said that Sony actually pulled products out of stores because of it. That initially it was believed to be a problem with the bulbs not lasting but then Sony found that the bulb was not being initiallized (turned on).

Fan noise -all of these sets have it and/or do it. Some people don't hear it, other go nuts by it. I believe that they may be on a thermostat and that some peoples may be on more than others and/or some listen at low to no volume more thus have more exposure to the noise during low volume settings. Some may watch for an hour, others will watch for days, some have set in a cool basement, others over an upstairs heat vent or fireplace (believe it or not) -bulbs not hot, no fan. Try considering these things, keep the sets vents clear and allow air to move around the set, sit further away, turn up the volume, or something.

Building the TV into a wall or stand/enclosure may cause it to run hotter and require the fan for longer but may prevent the noise from transmitting out to where you are. Experiment. Ordering a replacement won't help unless you really do have a bad fan.

XBR vs. WE -Sony puts it's latest/greatest in the XBR and charges a premium for it to those that can afford to have it sooner. It eventually filters down.

Any of you people consider the competition (i.e., Panasonic or Hitachi)?

Why did you buy Sony (other than "they WERE the best")?

I am in the market for a TV (thus researching this) -and was close to a Wega purchase, I have done a 180 now and am looking at others. Don't blame Sony for the fan, they all do it and much of what are in these TVs is not made by Sony anyway. The white-spot/bulb/power issues though are a Sony issue though.

Hope that helps,

Riz Thomas
Unregistered guest
To john Schafer,
I have my Sony KF42WE610 and had experienced this buzzing sound and "guessing" game as to when will it turn on...I called the warranty service repair and they mentioned that there is a Sony Service bulletin to fix it. As a matter of fact, they came and replace a board plus the LAMP (since it may have been damaged--they recommened this because it is under warranty". Since then, it is "One Click Turn On" deal...Future SHop was about to replace my unit but the service guy advised to go ahead with the service because even if I had the unit replaced, there is not telling if the replacement (or any new stock from Sony) has had the correction done to it....

The Fan noise is Normal contrary to everyone's claim...it is quieter than a PC power supply fan.

TheBobGoat
Unregistered guest
Riz, do you have a place to read the service bulletin? thanks

Roboflash
Unregistered guest
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316921

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=309559

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=347481

Here's some further reading on this very issue. Seems like everyone with this problem should collectively approach Sony about these issues. It's unacceptle IMHO for a $3000+ tv. I understand it's electronics, but when you pay that much for something, there should be some level of accountablity for design flaws.

Roboflash
Unregistered guest
Don,

Thanks for the input. I exchanged my 40XBR800 for the 50" GWIII last October, because I was having discoloration issues which a Sony Authorized tech could not fix. I'm starting to experience power-on issues with my GWIII and have placed a service call through Good Guys(glad I purchased the EW). I'm really hoping that this issue is resolved as I really love the picture quality on this set.

As for Sony being aware of the problem, has there ever a time Sony has recalled a TV to fix a major issue such as this? I would think that they would recall only if there was a safety issue involved. Although, would be nice if they did do a recall.

Roboflah
Unregistered guest
Don, did the QC person say anything specific about what the problem is with the power-on issue (bad lamp, wrong circuity for starting lamp, etc.)? No buzzing noises on mine (knock on wood)and it's worked fine for three months till now.

I did notice before, that when my kids would accidentally turn off the tv, then I try turning it back on right away, the tv would take a little longer turn on. I recently read in a Hitachi owner's thread, from the forum I subscribe to, that their manual states that doing this before the cooling fan has stopped will shorten the bulb life. I suspect this is probably the same with the GWIII.

Roboflash
Unregistered guest
Snakeyes, if you look at the messages from the forums I posted, you'll find that some XBR owners are experiencing power-on and buzzing problems.

Unregistered guest
I bought my set from a Sears in Florida and it was delivered in the middle of December. Every once in a while it wouldn't turn on, but I dismissed that as "user error" thinking I may have clicked the power button twice on the remote. Every time this happened the set would turn on after pressing the power button again.

Last week I noticed that this actually was a problem, and yesterday it just flat out wouldn't turn on. I tried for an hour to turn on my set and it wouldn't. Later that night it failed to turn on a second time for about 20 minutes!

This thread has a link to a WMV file that shows the exact same problem I have: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335843

I am used to defective electronic devices because nearly all of them seem to be defective out of the box anymore and require replacement, but this isn't an answering machine; these TV models are big, bulky, and cost $3000-$4000! This problem should not have occurred, and Sony really needs to get out there and admit that the problem exists.

It seems to me that Sony forced the product out prematurely so it would be available during the Christmas shopping season then they hoped for the best.

Riz Thomas
Unregistered guest
To TheBobGoat

Unfortunately..no..I found that out from the forums before I talked to the repair guys. ( I am located here in Vancouver, BC, Canada...so you should at least bring this up to your local Sony Warranty repair people.).
The repair guys replaced a PC Board module and the Lamp Assembly. The reason for replacing the Lamp was to insure that I get a new life on the lamp in case It got damaged on the old problem.

It is now Week and 1/2 (almost 2 weeks actually)...and the TV is onw "ONE CLICK TURNING ON" and NO BUZZING SOUND AT ALL...I am now a happy buyer...

Username: Thebobgoat

Post Number: 6
thanks riz

i think my major concern is that if it breaks, its during the 90day in home repair time

Scott Patterson
Unregistered guest
A good rule to go buy is never buy the newest thing on the market till the reviews come in, as most of you have well learned by now. These TV's are meant to be the poor mans plazma. This means a noisy fan instead of some quiet liquid cooled design. You should here the fan on a front projection LDC or DLP Projector. And for every TV thats bad there were on a first year run for a new product like this about 500 that are fine with no problems. It comes down to the luck of th draw, so when the stock clerk pulls your TV off the shelf send a minister a rabi and a munk to bless his pick. I do agree that sony and all other companies should take care of these problems for the price we pay. How poor do you have to be for a $4000.00 TV. I will say as far as LCD or DLP rear projection TV's go I would still choose the Sony and take my chances becuse it is the better picture. the only thing that comes close to this is the Samsung rear projection DLP and it has the same fan the same bulb that will burn out in half the time and the same 1 in 500 is a lemon. Or go back to a CRT and have a Big bulky TV that needs costly yearly service to keep a clear picture. But what ever TV you buy the smartest thing to do is buy the extended warranty. Think about it if they make a car to last only 5 years before you need a major part replacement how long should a TV be expected to last.

Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 13
Scott- I disagree that a RPLCD is a poor man's plasma. I personally have more than enough to purchase a plasma, but I just don't want one. It is not a myth that they have a shorter life than other televisions. My uncle bought one of the first Fujitsu plasmas on the market about 4-5 years ago and it had a great picture when he bought it, but it's just ok today. If someone is plunking down this much cash for a tv, they should get their money's worth and I personally don't think you get it with a plasma. The Sony has a beautiful picture that will be a good picture for years with bulb replacements. The LCD screen will not get nearly as worn down as a plasma over the years. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Riz Thomas
Unregistered guest
I agree with Larry. I am quite happy now with my Sony 42KFEW610 LCD after the "buzzing" / "don't know when it will turn on" problem which I believe Sony found out(and kept quiet about it) after it released hastily its LCD Grand WEGA models.
If the concept of "no screen burn outs" on LCD except the LAMPS is true then -- chances are that you will definitely have ways to extend the life of the TV, meanwhile, if I have the Plasma, it is left to detoriorate.

Don't get me wrong. At the rate the Plasma is said to detoriorate, it will be years...

However, I don't have any experience with the PLASMAs but even if I have $$, I won't plunk it into these things. The HYPE is caused by salesmen who wants the commission. I can say this because i have been to our local Electronics Stores and noticed that the salesmen's opinion changes depending on how much you have in the budget.

Plasma tV, plasma beds, plasma $#^&&. Don't you think this is all hype...

If I could throw my opinion, you could always be in a bad spot ("the bleeding edge") when you go for the hype in the early stages of a new technology. You will find that a few weeks (or months) later that it is not only cheaper but better models will show up in the market after being the first ones to buy such stuff..

OOPS ...I am confused now..

brianm23
Unregistered guest
Don't let Sony fool you. There is an obvious problem and I've been reading about them from many reviews since August '03. Just got off the phone with a Cust Rep at BestBuy in Raleigh, NC, and he's informed me that they got a letter in the mail today with a recall on the Sony Rear Projection LCDs. Seems that there is a major issue with the lamps in these sets. He said this recall was per bestbuy and not Sony. I guess they got tired of having to replace these sets/lamps on a regular basis.

brianm23
Unregistered guest
WOW!....Check out Sony's response to this ongoing issue. I did an live online chat with a Sony Representative at:
http://sonystyle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonystyle.cfg/php/enduser/live.php?p_sid=j 6moyd2h&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=

Here is the actually chat between me and Arnold:
uestion #040124-000989
---------------------------------------------------------------
Summary: Chat Session
Email Address: bxxxxxx@yahoo.com
Date Created: 01/24/2004 04:33 PM
Last Updated: 01/24/2004 04:33 PM

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Chat Transcript - 01/24/2004 04:33 PM
User Name: brian
E-mail: bxxxxx@yahoo.com
=======================
brian: i want to know if sony has a recall on the KF-42WE610 model?
brian: 42" Grand WEGA LCD Rear Projection TV
Arnold: There is no recall on the KF-42we610.
brian: i hear different from Bestbuy....seems they have recalled due
to lamp issues
brian: i want to know the deal before i put down some 3000 grand for
it
Arnold: There is no problem with this TV.
brian: why is it that all the reviews that i read all state the same
problem..over...and over..and over...
brian: ??
brian: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/2904.html
brian: read this one message board for instance
brian: or check out BestBuys customer's reviews
Arnold: I am afradi we have not received any complaints from the
customers and hence we do not have information on other reviews.
brian: you haven't received any complaints???......arnold......either
sony is in their on little world or you guys are Bulls*&ing
me....which is it?
brian: i'm a die hard Sony fan....and i know better
brian: i won't buy a TV unless it's sony...but i'm not going to buy a
set and it's faulty.....PERIOD
brian: i've been reading articles/reviews since August '03.....and all
state the same thing....
Arnold: There are no pronblems with this TV.
brian: lol....obviously there are arnold....but your boys at Sony seem
to be in self denial....i just told you that BestBuy has done a recall
on them....Raleigh NC (Store 821)6101 Capital Blvd
Raleigh, NC 27616-2943

brian: call the store yourself and find out
brian: now...you gonna tell me there isn't a problem with a set if
your major distributor does a RECALL?????
brian: either you are uninformed...or you're lying.....
brian: i hope it's not the latter :-(
Arnold: I am not lying nor am I uninformed. Can I assist you with
anything else?
brian: i guess that Samsung is looking better every day...thanks for
nothing Arnold......tell your sups to call that number and find out
what's going on with their TV sets...have a nice day
Arnold: You too,.
brian: disconnected
Arnold: disconnected

I can't believe they actually think there is no problem with their TVs.

Scott Patterson
Unregistered guest
Well if you have the money to spend I would recomend the Toshiba 57HLX82 LCOS TV. Now this is a sweet TV. I have only done 3 of them but with a HD DVD player or tuner I have not seen a better picture. Its worth checking it out. http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=57HLX82

GrantPeters
Unregistered guest
I have the 42 inch Grand Wega, and after an initial problem with a faint green spot, Circuit City replaced it. The set is fabulous now, and has none of the problems list in this forum. HD picture is ridiculous!! Wish me luck.

GregM
Unregistered guest
Scott I will agree with you that the Toshiba LCOS is the way to go if you've got the money to burn, but it is deep and if you've got the depth I say go CRT RP.

JoeR_phila
Unregistered guest
Just went to CC last night to look (drule) over my favorite TV a sony 50" LCD rear projection... Well low and behold, ALL the LCD rear projection tvs were moved from the primere spot to the back of the store. And 1/2 of the ones that were displayed were missing... Its funny, if you go to the online CC store and display the sony TVS , the price is NOT displayed... They want you to click on "buy it now" to see the real price.... The price is obviously lower than the "suggested price", but the deal is, they are just trying to get you to buy a defective product....
I asked one of the sales guys at CC, "What happened to the Sony lcd 50 incher" ... He asked another guy who said "It D'ed out" in sales terms it was defective and sent out....
I'm glad I didn't buy one of these when I first saw it last black friday.... It was stunning and IS stunning when it works...
Next year for me guys...

MiquelS
Unregistered guest
I thought I did my homework but I guess I did not look far enough when we purchased our 42" LCD rear projection t.v.in late November. Our bulb/resister??? did not work last night. We turned it off after supper and that was that;
green light flashing than red light flashing than nothing (sounds like a twisted game of Redlight, Greenlight!!!!!)I should have sensed that something was up when both of my sister-in-laws bought the same t.v. at the same time as ourselves and one sister had to replace her t.v. within 24 hours - BULB FALIURE. Initially, I thought it was a one in a million fluke occurance. Now my worst fears may be coming true!!!! What we would like to know is which vendor we should approach first; Futreshop where we initally purchased the t.v. or Sony who makes this awesome peice of ..........(fill in the blanks) How successful have people been in getting this rectified??? What kind of costs have been incurred as a result of this??? PLEASE NOTE******* Like many of you out there, my parents and myself I always bought Sony products because of company's high reliablitiy and attention to quality of their products however now I'm not sure if we will continue this trend??? Let's see what kind of answer we get from Sony/our local retailer!!!!

Ravimathur
Unregistered guest
My new 3 week old GW50" started giving problems today -After turning on the TV the green light flashed for a few seconds and then the red light came back on with a short noise from left as though there was a short circuit - Switched on the TV again and it worked. Looks like a real problem.

miquels
Unregistered guest
Brianm23
Looks like Sony coustomer service reps. are reading from a script! We did exactly what you did - spoke to a live-online rep. - Sandra- who gave us the exact same answer " There is no problem with this TV" and ".....I am afraid we have not received any complaints from the
customers and hence we do not have information on other reviews. " The reason why they have no information on other reviews is because; according to Sandra; they don't check non Sony web sites.I have a very hard time believing this. Even if they did not check the sites, I know of a number of people who have logded complaints to Sony. This self denial attitude of Sony continues to anger me and should not be tolerated!

Bronze Member
Username: Onmedic

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 10:15 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got my 42" today.. SWEET! The DVD PQ is amazing via DVI.

However, I am running Satellite via Motorrola 405 (Starchoice), delivered to the TV by S-Video. I am not so happy with the PQ from this source. From about 10-11 feet the image is very HARSH and not really clear.. My old 27" SHARP looks better via Coax with the Sat. source then the new 42" LCD.

What Wide Mode is best?

Also, the Sat. Receiver has "normal" and "wide", of which I chose wide. When I lie down on the couch (off about 25 degrees to the side and down 3 feet... and about 10 feet out... it looks great! But when I look at it straight-on from 10-12 ft. not so great! Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Hi I have thinking too by Sony KF60SX300! But when i read problems that people have with there projection i hesitate! Soo i wonder now is it worth too buy this kind of tv and is the picture good???

dennfox
Unregistered guest
Wow! I was seriously thinking on getting one one of these puppies(grand wega 42)think I,ll pass on this one. After reading the reviews,I think Sony needs to go back to the drawing board.

Unregistered guest
We just had our second 60" Grand Vega LCD delivered from Circuit City. The first one developed the hit or miss turn on problem and then just wouldn't turn on.

The one just delivered has a different issue. When the picture fades to black there are large areas of blue and green on the screen. This is particularly annoying in low light scenes. I turned off the direct tv receiver so that no signal was being sent to the set and sure enough, it is always there. I am going to see if Circuit City will be as accommodating as the first time and replace this one. After many years of owning Sony tvs we are extremely disappointed in Sony's response. They referred us to a local authorized repair center who took our number and never called back. All this occurred two days before the Superbowl. We then called Circuit City and they brought out another set right away. Our heroes! So we will see if the third time is a charm. Is anyone else experiencing blue or green areas on the screen?

Username: T3256

Post Number: 2
I have the 50" LCD and to tell you the truth I am not thrilled with the picture in any mode. People all seem waxy. I run the tv thru the "DISH" Network and expected more from "SONY".If anyone says....CLASS ACTION....let me know......

JTL
Unregistered guest
Read this before you buy a Sony Grand Wega LCD RPTV!!!

I have 60XBR800. I brought it 15 month ago. I notice a picture problem when there's a large color contrast. I was watching the Lion King 1.5 DVD, I notice that there were blue/gray outline on the side of lion's face. The blue/gray patch looks like the outline of his face. It was very obvious when the lion's tan face is next to a dark background.

This blue/gray "outline" problem also appears in Disney's Tresure Planets(espically the boy's face because of his dark hair), and Intolerabe Cruity(on some George's face)

I checked all the input and even use a different DVD, I still notice this problem. Then I check the DirecTV and HDTV signals, the problem also appears when there's a large color contrast.

So call the Sony Service toll free number, the rep on the phone told me to disconnect the power for 1 hour or more ("to rest the TV"). The problem was still there when I turn it on. The rep gave me a number to call to have an authorized tech to look at it. HOWEVER, Sony will not pay for this check(~$100) even if the tech finds a problem. Since the TV is 15 months old (only 1 year parts and labor warranty), it will be up to the supervisor if Sony will pay for any of cost. I have the tech coming in next week because the problem is that irritating

Does anyone else notice this problem with their Sony Grand Wega XBR LCD RPTV?

Anonymous

After paying $85 plus tax, the only thing that the tech did was adjust the "Revision" function on the Setup menu.

After about 1000 hours use, the light bulb changes slightly. If the "Revision" does not adjust it, you must manually adjust it yourself.

I wish Sony hotline would have told me that instead of paying $85 for it.

So if you have any Sony LCD RPTV, hope you find this before posting before paying for the Sony tech.

Unregistered guest
Sony is still denying that there is a problem at all with the Grand Wega (should be Vega, in honor or the 70's Chevy). The following is an email from their online "help" site:
Mark Smith,

Thank you for contacting SONY Online Support.

Sony has not released any official announcement acknowledging any backlight failure issues about the Sony KF-42WE610/KF-50WE510/KF-60WE610 Televisions. These products are not known by Sony to be defective in any way and we are not aware of a problem. Sony does not address any comments
published on, or quoted from a non-Sony website.

However, if you are experiencing a backlight failure problem, we recommend that you have the unit evaluated and/or repaired by one of these methods:

As your projection television is within the warranty period, you may call the SONY Customer Information and Services Center at:

1 (800) 282-2848

Mon - Fri: 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. (EST)

Sat & Sun: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. (EST)

Once your television is outside of the manufactured warranty period we recommend that you have the unit evaluated and/or repaired at one of our SONY Factory Service Centers or one of our SONY Authorized Service Centers.

The location of your nearest SONY Factory Service Center, as well as any local SONY Authorized Service Centers are available at URL:

http://www.sel.sony.com/service/plsql/rma.inquiry

Simply enter your product model, date of purchase and zip code. Then click the SEARCH button.

If you have further questions regarding our flat rate service plans, directions to the SONY Factory Service Center, hours of operation, etc., you may call the SONY Customer Information and Services Center at the number provided above.

IMPORTANT: Should you choose to have your product serviced at one of our SONY Authorized Service Centers, please be advised that these locations are independently owned and operated. Any estimated repair costs quoted on our service locator site do not apply at your local SONY Authorized Service Center.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group
Online Support and Services Center
SSKP

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated

Unregistered guest
After lots of nonhelpful emails from the Sony online help people, I am suggesting that they rename the 610 series the "Grand Wega Rear-Injection TV"

Dave Peters
Unregistered guest
KDF-60XBR950 Kaboom! My 29 day old Sony blew up last night. I turned it on, there was a flash on the left side followed by several decent electrical kerplows. The set is dead and flashed a red status light 5 times. The bulb looks good, no signs of the explosion. Sony service can be right over, in 3 weeks to fix it. I told them this was unreasonable and the girl from Sony said "the time will go by before you know it". I was waiting for the Twilight Zone music to start playing.
Tweeter is going to replace it but I may buy something else. I been watching my 18 year old 27inch Sony in the mean time. Good luck Sony buyers!!

Unregistered guest
BURN-IN ON SONY REAR-PROJECTION TELEVISIONS

I understand that some Sony KP-series rear projection televisions experience "burn-in" after extended viewing of programs with fixed logos. I also understand that Sony has refused to apply the warranty to this defect. If you have experienced burn-in on your Sony product, I would be very interested in speaking to you -- especially if you are from CANADA. You can email me at dimitri001@rogers.com.

Anonymous

Wow! I just used the chat 'Talk to a sony saleperson now' feature and asked them about any issues with their sets. The rep said 'There are no issues with these sets.'

I'm sorry I didn't copy&paste before clicking 'hang-up' as it closed the window :-(

But just so you all know, Sony is still publically denying any issues with these TV's.

As much as I love all the Son'y gear I have, I have to say that just floors me, and it completly changes my mind about buying another TV from them, dang... *Now* what do I buy?!? (wandering off muttering about having to start all over in search of the perfect TV...)

Anonymous

White spot: Is it only visible when TV is off or present in very dark/black scenes? This may be due to ambient light passing through the screen and reflecting inside via mirrors/lenses and back onto the screen???

Anon -what to buy...

Hitachi 50/60V500

Unregistered guest
I own 2 Sony desk tops, 1 Sony lap top, Sony surround system, Sony Stereo so it was a no brainer when I went to buy an LCD TV. It had to be a Sony and 50". Now I get to play "Will it come on Game". I am really disappointed. My wife and I paid over $3000 and that kind of money doesn't come easy. I hope we can get this problem figured out.

Unregistered guest
Wow! I have been saving up for almost a year and I went out last night to Sears to look at Big screen tv's and the Sony 50" Wega caught my attention. The picture seemed really great and I came home to do some research. I even found out they had a 60" so I was even considering moving up to that one. Now, after reading this board I don't think I want to risk it. I have never purchased a Big screen before and have no idea on what I should get. Any feedback? Thanks again for the insight on this board.

Hixx
Unregistered guest
Just boycott them. They are too many other companies out there that would kill for your business. Then trade in your PS2s for Xboxes. If you keep paying their service centers, repairmen, and dealers- Sony makes money while you sit without the "perfect" TV. Don't buy anything manufactured by Sony. They'll get the picture (unlike our TVs).

Anonymous

I own a KF60XBR800... it now has close to 1 year. It was a demo that ran 8hrs/day, 7days/week for 3 months before I bought it.

So far so good. No turn-on problems either.

I do have a fan noise present, (but it is not very loud) but I expect it since the unit contains a lamp, and I know you can therefore expect heat.

I have not seen any of the above posts have problems with XBR Models. I know I have none.

I am interested in finding a backup Lamp (bulb), so when the current one fails, I won't have to wait 3 months (without a tv !!). Can anyone help me find one around 150-200$ ?
Thanks in advance.

Username: Irvspect

Post Number: 9
Anonymous:

I am also looking for a backup lamp...If you have any success with this please let us know.

craigy boy
Unregistered guest
All i can say is thank god for the internet and sites like this.!! i was just about to purchase a sony wega 60" rear projection tv which would have set me back about £4000 (thats alot of dollars i'm guessing) but now i've completely gone off the idea. I've owned various projectors which i use for watching tv with and its basically exactly the same principal used in sony's tv's, and all projectors have fans which tend to make a noise and many times i've had the lamp fail or not turn on on these normal projectors... so i thought that sony may have perfected the concept of projection but it just goes to show that sometimes your paying for the name rather than the product..!! the only problem i'm facing now is wether to buy a plasma screen? unfortunately the down side to this is that the cost is dramatically increased when choosing a 50" or larger and thats just not an option, you'd think that with the market flooded with this technology that the prices would be dropping but over here in the UK you need to rob a bank to be able to afford one..
good luck everyone and keep spreading the word and saving others from sony's incompetence..

(i'm off to rob a bank)..

SteveSteve
Unregistered guest
Thanks everyone for putting up these warnings!

I too looked at the GWs, and they look great, and seem to be a great alternative to flat panels. With these horror stories, I'm not going to touch them now (or probably ANYTHING made by Sony).

So with that, does anybody have any suggestions for alternatives to the GWs?

Thanks,

Steve.

Unregistered guest
HELLO EVERYONE.

I BOUGHT A DEFECTIVE SONY GRAND WEGA FROM BEST BUY AND I AM FIGHTING BACK WITH A LAWSUIT. I INVITE ANYONE WHO BOUGHT A DEFECTIVE SONY GRAND WEGA TV FROM BEST BUY TO CONTACT ME. LET'S HELP EACH OTHER AND FIGHT BACK.

IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR SONY GRAND WEGA, PLEASE EMAIL ME AND LET ME KNOW: BUZZING SOUND AND BULB FAILURE.

MY EMAIL IS NIKITA.CAT@SBCGLOBAL.NET.

THANK YOU, NIKITA

Unregistered guest
HELLO EVERYONE.

I BOUGHT A DEFECTIVE SONY GRAND WEGA FROM BEST BUY AND I AM FIGHTING BACK WITH A LAWSUIT. I INVITE ANYONE WHO BOUGHT A DEFECTIVE SONY GRAND WEGA TV FROM BEST BUY TO CONTACT ME. LET'S HELP EACH OTHER AND FIGHT BACK.

IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR SONY GRAND WEGA, PLEASE EMAIL ME AND LET ME KNOW: BUZZING SOUND AND BULB FAILURE.

MY EMAIL IS NIKITA.CAT@SBCGLOBAL.NET.

THANK YOU, NIKITA

Anonymous

I'm really glad to find that there are at least a couple of other people who seem to be experiencing this white-haze problem on the LCD rear-projection. I just could not find any other reference to it in all my web searches.

I saw it within 3 days of delivery of my set, which was was supposedly manufactured only a month or so before the delivery date.

Used the online chat feature to contact Sony customer support, and despite pointing them to the posts above referring to the same problem, they insisted that there have been absolutely no reports of this issue from other customers. I was even told, a bit too sternly for my liking - "my_first_name! There are no problems reported with this TV!"

In any case, if anybody wants to compare notes - basically this white haze appears right in the middle of the screen. It is roughly elliptical in shape and elongated in the vertical direction.The widest point around the middle is about the size of your palm.

This spot is very light and can only be seen when the TV is Off! It can easily confused to be a reflection off the floor or a window. But I proved to myself and my wife several times over that it was not that.

Incidentally I did return the TV, but primarily due to the fact that it just did not fit in the place where I wanted it. I am now going for the 42 inch model. However this white haze thing, and the reports of the defective light engines is leaving me a bit nervous about plonking down all this money! I'm now considering buying that expensive extended warranty for my peace of mind.

Unregistered guest
We purchased our kf 42we610 in nov of 2003 and have had the bulb replaced in april under 1 yr warranty.
We have also had the not turning on issue which seems to resolve itself if the tv is left unplugged for a few hours. Our newest problem is the volume and picture fading out wvery few seconds. The power is still on but the screen and the volume just go blank. Anyone else with this issue? I personally believe this tv is a lemon
and agree that Sony should shoulder the responsibility. Best Buy was no help but we did not purchase the extended warranty

Anonymous

Anyone have anything good to say about these tv's?
I just bought the 50" GW but didn't take it home from BestBuy because it wouldn't fit in our SUV. Should I pick it up?
Or should I buy the Sammy DLP instead? The other TV I was considering was the Hitachi v500a.
I just thought the Sony appeared to have the best picture in the store.

Galen
Unregistered guest
I'm glad this forum is here! I purchase my 42" LED Grand Wega from Best Buy in Oct. 2003. While it is an impressive TV, it did finally fall to the infamous red light on...bulb failure bug. I just called Sony, thanks to one of you who posted the phone and event number. A guy who sounded like Garfield, neither denied or acknowledged there was a problem and referred me to the next level support to get a new bulb. No questions asked! The next level person said she would have the bulb shipped to me in two business days and it could be easily be replace by myself. No reference to having a repair person coming to look at the set. Obviously, this "EVENT" has become a routine now for Sony. Thankfully I bought the 3 year extended warranty. The woman was very apologetic and said that Sony was aware of certain sets having defective bulbs, and the new bulb I would be receiving would last 6-8 thousand hours, unlike the first one. She thanked me for not yelling at her for having a problem with my $3,000 TV set! LOL

My opinion of Sony at this time is still high. I received prompt response and good treatment. Hopefully you all will too.

Here's Sony's # again. 1-800-222-7669
Good luck everyone.

S.R.
Unregistered guest
Well, I own a Sony KF50WE610, and I have been following this forum for a couple of months. I was hoping that I'd might be one of the lucky ones, not plagued by lamp failures, power problems and so forth. Well, guess what? After two months of use, the TV (Build date June 2004) just powers off on its own, with a blinking power LED, not lamp LED. Unplugging it and plugging back in, will bring it back to life, but after 30 minutes or so, the same problem reoccurs. My concern, is that I'm experiencing a problem not related to the addressed lamp failures, but somewhere in the circuitry. I have an extended warranty with Sears, but it would be a two week wait until a repairman comes out. More than likely, he will probably appear with a new light bulb in hand, which I feel isnt the problem in my case. To conclude, if I'd known about these problems with these sets, I would of steered way clear from them. Anybody comtemplating buying one of these sets, reconsider. My set was built in June, and it looks like there are still problems with this set.

Unregistered guest
This is my message to everyone who bought a supposedly amazing Sony Grand WEGA either normal or XBR. If its screwed up, and you get a different model from Sony and if thats screwed up go for the next best solution. Get DLP. Grand Wega is actually just a rear projection but instead of CRT it uses LCD. Sony is reliable, but its products arent made in Japan. They are made either in China, or Malaysia.

basselope
Unregistered guest
If we're going to be talking about the manufacturing locations, you should know that most of the Samsung DLPs are made in Mexico. Let that one sink in.

And Samsung's reliability record on their DLPs is abysmal, much worse than Sony has had with their GW line. Add on top of that the rainbows, horrible SD performance, and you'll see why so many people are choosing LCD RPTVs.

Unregistered guest
Basselope you may not know but before you say anything else let this sink in. I'm Korean, and as you know Samsung is a Korean based company. Im not sure about America but in Canada we get them from Korea, not Mexico. By the way DLP is older than the Wega Engine, of course there will be many more problems! And who ever said I directly refered to Samsung? What about Toshiba? Optoma? RCA?

basselope
Unregistered guest
I know Samsung is Korean - I'm Korean myself. And all of the current HLPs in the US are made in Mexico. You may receive them from Korea, but check the manufacturing location. If you doubt me, do a quick search around the Rear Projections forum of the avsforums.

And by your logic if DLP is a more mature technology, shouldn't there be LESS problems, not more? Also note that the Grand WEGA LCD TVs are now going into their 5th generation. And I mention Samsung because they are the market leader for DLPs. Not trying to start any arguments - I re-read my original post, and I admit it came off a bit stronger than intended. Just saying that DLPs have their fair share of problems.

Unregistered guest
Sorry here I'll re-word. DLP would have more problems because nothing is perfect it first comes out especially at the beginning. I think my family and friends are just lucky. We get Samsung Products from Korea and Sony Products from Japan. I myself have a 70" Sony XBR Grand Wega in my living room and a 50" Samsung (5085) in my bedroom. I'm waiting for the new Samsung comin out with the HD3x chip.

Unregistered guest
Sorry here I'll re-word. DLP would have more problems because nothing is perfect it first comes out especially at the beginning. I think my family and friends are just lucky. We get Samsung Products from Korea and Sony Products from Japan. I myself have a 70" Sony XBR Grand Wega in my living room and a 50" Samsung (5085) in my bedroom. I'm waiting for the new Samsung comin out with the HD3x chip.

Unregistered guest
The problems above I believe are natural maybe. The annoying buzzing is just the eletricity running. All electrical products create a static noise and based on the size of the product and how much electricity is being used determines the noise level of the static noise. The white spot is probably the light entering through the screen and reflecting off something inside the Grand Wega. Also if any of you think you should boycott because of this, don't. Any company with half brain will obviously deny any problems. And there is no such thing called a perfect TV. No TV will be problem free. Its a risk when buying from any TV company but thats what life is all about. Taking risks. So go out there and get any tv you think you'll love. Thats life.

basselope
Unregistered guest
From what I have read thus far, the upcoming Samsungs based on the xHD3 chips will be priced around $7000 US (for the 61" model). That's nearly twice the price for a 720p/1080i 60" DLP or LCD RPTV today. I think I'll wait a bit for 1080p before I take the plunge. :-P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us