Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through February 17, 2005chris mccabe100
Archive through November 14, 2004M3TR01D100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Username: Fastlane247

Abbotsford, BC Canada

Post Number: 1
Does anyone happen to know any websites which have bulbs for cheap for the pt 43cl14 model panny. i have had my tv for 2 weeks but i think i should start stalking up on bulbs, sounds like i am going to need a few lying around.

Username: Badkarma

Post Number: 7
How do you go about getting a stuck pixel replaced? Every service place I've talked to about it has said panasonic will not cover it for mine (2 stuck bright blue pixels on the screen, side by side)

Bronze Member
Username: Everysandwich

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 13
Ray -- has Panasonic itself told you that? No one ever suggested anything me about minimum bad pixels before authorizing a repair, thank goodness. Personally that's unacceptable, and I can't imagine Panasonic getting away with such a policy. Chris -- I thought of taking a picture of the light engine but didn't do it. I can tell you it's a big, complex part, maybe 1 X 2 feet, and looks to me like the *main* part of the unit. Had to help the tech lift the screen off the base so he could work on the base as a separate piece.

Post Number: 8
I've talked to 2 or 3 service places, they have all said panasonic would not approve the repair. Once of the service places came out and looked at it, said it would be fine, but then called me a couple of days later and said Panasonic did not approve it. It is super annoying, (not to mention embaressing when other people see it) and pretty much ruins the TV for me.

It's messed up b/c I have called they pre-sales info as if I had not bought the tv yet, and they will tell me a stuck pixel would be covered, but when I call their tech support, they say no. In fact, I asked the last guy I talked to why I am told it will be fixed before I buy, and no afterwards. He replies to me 'why would we care if you buy it or not? you're not the one paying me.' Uhhh, ok, thanks guy.

Greg Knoyle
Unregistered guest
Update on my PT50LC13. Here is the value in doing business with a local reputable company. When I bought my unit the extended sales plan the company (Vann's is the name, vanns.com website) initally was selling did not cover the lamps. So therefore I did not purchase the warranty. After my lamp went out in 9 months and less than 1000 hours I stopped in the salesfloor to inquire about the warranty again and was told that since the first of the year they are covering lamps as well now. However I wasn't eligable to purchase one becuase my unit was more than 3 months old. I went back to my office, called Vann's and asked for the sales manager. I told him my story and he told me he would get back to me in a couple of days. Two days later he called back and said they would be happy to sell me a 5 year extended warranty for $399.00 that would cover EVERYTHING (other than owner damage, pool cue hitting it ect ect.) including lamps and in home service. AND if for some reason that the unit never needs warranty work in the 5 year period (yeah, like that will happen) they will refund $200 of the warranty. I figure we will go through a lamp a year and probably a couple of ballasts in that time. Not to bad eh? Try that at Dr. Plasma Projector, BestBuy or Circuit City.

Abbotsford, BC Canada

Post Number: 2
It is completely normal for any company not to replace or repair an lcd with 1 or 2 bad pixels it is not just panasonic who does this, it is any company. When the lcd screens are being made about 60% of them will have bad pixels, it would cost far too much to replace that many lcd screens. I know this because i work for HP notebook support and we will not replace an lcd screen on a 15" laptop if it has less then 7 dead pixels. I think that is far too many and i believe if a company cannot make a product MINT when it is made they should not be making that technology. Unfortunatly alot of people are going to have bad pixels and no matter what company you purchased from they are all going to have the same attitude about it.

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
Well, my experience is, since dead pixels often show up day 1, it's easy to return the TV since most places have a 30 day return policy. I actually returned my 50lc13 twice within a few weeks, all for dead pixels. The one good thing about that experience was they asked no questions, and just swapped it out. Since then, the screen has developed a new bright flourescent stuck pixel that I can see from 8 ft back. It's towards the bottom of the screen and since dotting over it with a black sharpee pen, I can no lnoger see it

Post Number: 9
I've been tempted to try the sharpie thing before, but never had the guts to put the ink down, hah! Beautiful picture, except for that though.

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 167
i would guess the screen is a few hundred dollars,
how do you remove the sharpie pen dot if your stuck pixel either disappears or your decide to
get it fixed.

Unregistered guest
everything other than pixel dmg has happended to my 1.2 yr old PT-50LC13 unit. First repair made under manufacture warranty the 2nd week of use (replacing ballast/bulb).

Now..about less than a year later, same failure has REOccured...we are awaiting repair via Circuit City Extended Warranty which apparently will either (1) end up replacing the unit for a new one under the "No Lemon" Policy within the next 3 yrs at this rate; or (2) will pay it self off x3.

I will be calling Panasonic, filing a complaint under the ATTY GEN site, and playing with a flashlight and hand shadows as entertainment for the next 2 weeks .......

I have posted under the petition.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 168
instead of a sharpie pen (did anyone actually do
this) cut out a tiny piece from electrical tape.
it isnt permanent and wont ruin the 400.00 screen.

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
As far as using the Sharpee, I was able to use some tissue paper lightly dampened with water and detergent and with a little pressure, it came out. Once it was dry and I realized holding the pen a certain way would lay the ink out more evenly, I tried again, and ended up with a small black dot where there was once a bright green one. The difference is huge, since anything that has a dark background matches with the black dot, and on light backgrounds, the dot seems to just blend in somehow with smaller background scenery. This is the opposite situation than before I inked over the green dot, since in that case, the bright green stuck pixel is very hard or impossible to see under bright backgrounds like white, but is extremely noticeable against black backgrounds. Because this stuck pixel is about 3-4 inches from the very bottom of the screen, I used to always see it when watching wide screen movies via DVD (it's always in the black strip at the bottom).

It's not a perfect solution but in my case, the blacked out dot is a vast improvement, and I'm pretty picky with stuff like screen defects. If I decide I don't like it, I'll remove it again.

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
For those using external fans for cooling their 50LC13, how close to the TV vent and on which side do you have the fan on? My concern is that if its too close, I'll end up blocking the hot air trying to get out, especially if the fan can't cool it fast enough to compensate for the heat output from the lamp.

Username: Geegee

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 6
To resolve some misunderstandings. (1) These problems are common to ALL rear proj LCD/DLP tv's not just Panny (read the threads) (2) No evidence that DIY fans or Reg. power supply affect the outcome,& life of lamps. (3) Light scource life is now seen to be 8.3 months average,any ext.warrenty mob(vanns) that give 5 years lamps,parts & labour will rapidly go broke. (3)This may be part of an Asian ploy to further decimate western economies. Seriously, do you in US not have a similar option to UK&AUS,that if a product does not perform its purpose in a reasonable manner,or does not live up to promises made at the point of sale(10k hours), it will go back to the RETAILER for a full refund.No hassle. You people have been sold a Trojan Horse,beautiful, but containing years of frustration,massive hidden costs & unreliability.This is like buying a new car with a steering problem which wears out tyres every 10000 miles,& the supplier keeps replacing tyres to get the problem out of warrenty. Come on,if they get away with this, WHAT'S NEXT. George gw.golding@optus.com

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 169
facing the tv position the aux fan on the right
side. the exhaust is on the left side. point the
fan towards the vent.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 170
the aux fan may or may not extend the life of
the HID lamp but it will keep the internal
electronics cooler and we know that heat is not
good for electronics.

Username: Geegee

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

True Paul,however the point is, has anyone, anywhere,with or without DIY cooling fan,regulated power, or Holy Water,ever got more than 3000 hours out of the so described 10k light system of ANY manufacturors rear projection LCD/DLP television. The answer to this determines to what extent we have all been "conned". Wonderful picture,can't afford to turn it on. George gw.golding@optusnet.com.au

Greg Knoyle
Unregistered guest
I suspect the place where I bought mine (Vann's) doesn't pay anywhere near 300 bucks for the lamps and ballasts. Vann's has been an electronic staple in my town of Missoula, Montana for 40 some years and has always had competitive prices and great service. I don't see a few televisions putting them out of business. I didn't really expect 10k hours of lamp life, after reading alot on front DLP and LCD projectors that get about 1500 hours I thought it would be about the same.

Chris McCabe
Unregistered guest
So, if I have this 50LC13 as long as my 9 year old 32" Sony (CRT), with an avg bulb life of 8 mo, I'll spend the following on new lamps:

(9*12/8) * $300 = $4,050 !! Had the manufacturer's estimate been correct (10,000 hour avg, with an avg 6 hr/day view time), I would have to get a new lamp about once every 4.57 years, or about twice in the nine year scenario. The difference:

------
3,450 (out of pocket).

Total cost for Panasonic TV (not including lost time and enjoyment while waiting for repair):

$2,650 (Sales price)
$3,450 (new lamps)
-------
$6,100 (or, approximately, two 50LC13 TVs)

For the same money, I wonder what if any high end TV technology you could get that would last as long without the repair hassles? What about HD plasma? LCOS?

Unregistered guest
My lamp lasted 13 months and we do not even turn on the TV every day so I am another victim of Panasonic 50LC13 TV 10,000 hours misrepresentation. Count me in on any petition or Consumer Class Action.

Bronze Member
Username: Falconec

Post Number: 16
A couple o' things...........

Can anyone direct me to the petition site?

Regarding the use of aux. fan's. Please remember to meausre the temperature of the air at the fan outlet prior to adding an aux. fan so you you ensure you are getting a temperature drop of at least 30-40% % with the use of the aux fan.
The reason for this is when you (properly) position or mount the fan on the opposite side of the (rear) TV a couple of things are happening.
First the entire electronic assembly is being cooled but that additional heat is being pushed towards the light assembly. If your rate of air flow is too low you may end up actually raising the temperature at the light assembly.
Additionally, measuring the temperature will tell you if you are getting the airflow necessary through the stamped venting slots on the rear panel.
My previous post indicated that I actually cut out a 4x4 inch panel in the rear to ensure that the full CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating of air flow was actually getting into and back out of the unit.

Unless noise is not an issue for you I could not find how merely placing a fan behind the unit would get you the proper temperature drop.

Paul (in his postings) is correct on the fact that true, we are not going to have the data on whether or not this actually extends the life of bulbs for at least two more years however for the small investment (under $30.00 - a tenth of the cost of a bulb) it seems like a prudent thing to do. I would echo that sentiment for power conditioners / UPS systems as well.

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
My gut feel is that without modifying the actual air vent panel to allow increased air flow, the fan is unfortunately not going to improve the situation much. Fans lower the temp by circulating air so heat is dispersed. With tiny vents, the volume of air is going to be limited unless you modify the design. I think what might be better than an aux fan pointed at the rear of the TV is to make sure the unit is at least a foot away from a wall. If the TV is too close to a wall or other object, a localized pocket of hot air can build up right next to the TV exhaust vent. Since the fan is only powerful enough to move air out the vents but not any further, giving the unit some space and making sure a room has adequate air flow would probably be better. The other good idea (for both people and the TV) is to get a decent air filter for the room. This will limit any dust building up inside the unit, which can also cause problems. However, I have both an air filter and adequate space behind the TV, and still it had the bad ballast issue, so maybe none of this matters. :-)

Cycoz
Unregistered guest
***ALERT***

PLEASE GO HERE AND SIGN THE PETITION!!!!!!
http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

Spread the word! We need as many signitures as possible!
Thank you Darren T for your help.

Bronze Member

San Diego, Ca

Post Number: 17
Cycoz: thanks for the petition link. EVERYONE SHOULD SIGN IT!

Chris M. regarding the venting and the aux. fans you are very much correct. I modified my rear panel just for that reason (too small of venting). Becuase my unit was out of warranty I did not really care if I removed a small section (4 inches x 4 inches).

Bronze Member

San Diego, Ca

Post Number: 18
Can anyone tell me where the filter is located? I did not see a reference in the manual for this but it is listed on the parts listing and I have read references to it on this site.

Thanks!

Username: Javafan1

I was one of the first to buy this set when Best Buy first started selling it. I had it for 14 months before first light blew up. Now, 2 months after I replaced the bulb, it either blew the bulb again or the ballast needs replacing. I've signed the petition, lets keep it going - it only takes a minute. http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

Paul B.
Unregistered guest
I just had the bulb on my 50lc13 blow this morning after about 16 months. Over the last few days the tv wouldn't turn on, I had to unplug it from the wall, plug it back in and then turn it on and everything was fine. This morning it came on and about 10 seconds later I heard a POP and now the screen is black. I guess I should have seen the turn on problem as a sign.
I got the 5 year EW from PC Richard. Just called them and someone is coming to look at it next saturday. Now I just have to hope that they actually bring parts with them since my explanation of the problem clearly indicates a lamp issue. I'll post an update next week.

JBN
Unregistered guest
We are having the same problems as all of you..2 bulbs in 8 mos...luckily we are still under the 1 yr warranty...but that is quickly ending..so we have 3 mos to figure this out!

I live in MD and am going to try to get this story to the press. Anyone else who is so inclined..please try to do this too...remember "the Power of the Press"...

I have signed the petition..a couple days ago..but only 13 people had so far....please do this!!!!!!!! There's alot more than 13 people who are complaining on this website! Thank you to
Mike for setting that up.

Username: Bobkat

Post Number: 5
PT60LC13 - Lamp Burned Out - 8 months - 2-4 hours per day. It's sitting on an open on a glass shelf 2 feet from the wall. Less than 1,000 hour life!!!

I called Panasonic CS. After a 45 min wait (That's okay, it's Saturday.), I spoke with Jean - very courteous and helpful. :-)

Jean instructed me to remove the lamp. The bulb is shattered.

They will be sending me a new lamp for FREE. :-) I will FAX a copy of my purchase receipt. They will send a new lamp on Monday, via 2nd Day Air. I will immediately put the old one in the box, attach the return shipping label and hand it to the UPS driver. (I hope the UPS driver isn't in a hurry.) This will prevent my credit card from being charged $298.00.

So, all in all, I was very pleased with Jean, the CS Rep., but disappointed that the lamp blew after 8 months of moderate use.

:-) and :-( Yes, I signed the petition and will be following and participating in any class action that may come up.

Thanks to all for your posts.

Post Number: 10
Wow, lucky for you you got a good CS rep.. everyone I have talked to panasonic has been rude and uncaring.

docwebb
Unregistered guest
Misery loves company I suppose. My 50LC13 just died with the lamp light now blinking. Only got ten months out of it with modest use. I called Pannasonic, also talked to Jean, found her quite helpful (BTW no wait at all today, Friday) I told her her name was on the internet and she got a kick out of that. The only thing that troubles me is that if the ballast is defective, might it not be shortening the bulb life? She said if the bulb was burst, then the ballast was OK. Well, I guess there is nothing else to do except put a new bulb in and see how long it lasts. But my warranty is almost up....

frustrated
Unregistered guest
Perhaps it was just this one guy I spoke to at Panasonic's technical "no help line" 1-800-211-7262 and its not indicative of their overall quality of support but this young guy I spoke to was worthless. First he asked me what the model of my set was(PT-50LC13)and after telling him he said to wait a minute while he brings the details of this unit up on his screen. I thought..good maybe he is reading about the commmon problems associated with it. I gave him details, wouldn't come on one morning, red lamp light blinks every 5 secs, order new lamp and replace only to see same thing happen. Both lamps new and old do not look blown at all. I waited to hear him say something like..,"hmmm..seems likely its your lamp ballast", but he says, "well sir at this point it sounds like something internal and I would suggest having a service technicion come out." I asked what he thought it might be?..., whats the most common component that could be causing this if its not the lamp? He said he really could not say. I tell him I had been on a couple of AV sites and alot of people that have this set either seem to have blown lamps or bad lamp ballasts. He said yes it could possibly be the ballast or even a power supply. I ask him what is the most frequently sold..the ballast or the power supply?...he can't say. Ok, lets assume its the lamp ballast. Is this a component that I can replace? "I suppose you can but you would have to open the set.." No help. I was looking for solid confirmation that the ballasts go frequently and that they are relatively easily to replace but found neither. The part# is LSEB3087A and he quoted me $356.00. LOVE IT! I am calling a service technicion now but I will be watching him while he works and I will snap a picture of what this ballast looks like to show you all. THIS SET SHOULD BE SOLD WITH A JAR OF VASILINE AS A FREE ACCESSORY!

Bronze Member

Atlanta, Ga

frustrated -- I watched a guy replace mine and I think it looks like a shiny metal box about 10 to twelve inchs long, 6-8 inches wide and maybe an inche deep with a bunch of wires hanging from it. You should see thei mage engine (or is it light engine?) It looks like something from NASA.

panasonicsuxs
Unregistered guest
I have the 50" Panasonic and bought it in late July 2004. It went out on March 11th 2005. Less then 8 months and the Lamp is toast. Nice product.

frustrated
Unregistered guest
Thanks repeat but I'm not gonna order it. I dont want to get gouged by Panasonic on the price of this part, install it, and then see that it didnt fix my set. I have already made an appointment with a authorized Panasonic repair service and have a technician coming out this weekend. I will post my results. If this set cost something outrageous to fix I might lose it and douse it with gasoline, or stap some tnt to it...perhaps both because I BOUGHT THIS SET TO RELAX WITH!

Anonymous

I spoke to my repair technician and he confirmed that the Ballast is defective and causes the bulbs to blow out prematurely in many of the sets manufactured in '03/'04. BTW. Panny will pay to replace the ballast, if defective, even out of warranty.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 171
i talked to a panasonic technical dude once, he
acted like he had better things to do, that I
was wasting his time, its a good thing we were
doing this over the phone and not in person.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Same here. Twice, tho.

Bronze Member

San Diego, Ca

Post Number: 19
OK......... do we have an offical release out from Panasonic that indicates those who have an 03/04 set should contact them for a ballast replacement kit?

Caxton
Unregistered guest
I lost all my confidence to Panasonic product. I bought the my LCD TV because "Panasonic" brand name. But, I watched it only for less than 4 months with 2 to 3 hours a day. The bulb went out. I just realize that many people had the same experience like mine. It is terrible. I truly believe that Panasonic has a fucky design of this product. The LCD bulb TY-LA1000 used in many of their TV model. I think Panasonic should redesign their LCD bulb, and to replace it for all LCD TC owners for free. I am sure that more people will experience that because I recently saw that the Panasonic LCD TV is selling at Costco. I can imagine people will get more upset as more people owe a unit. Panasonic should recall this product and pay the owner with a full refund.

WhoIsThere
Unregistered guest
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH THE LC14 MODELS???

I ask because nobody has been posting their models. It appears the LC13 models have the problem.

I don't own either -- I have a DLP but I follow the messages on this board. My buddy has a panny.

Thanks

Username: Tinmann8

Tampa, Fla. United State...

I too am having issuIes with the PT-50LC13 . I've had it since July of 04 and last week it just started taking a long time to come on . Then it stopped coming on altogether. The green light would flash for about 2-3 minutes then flash red and the small lamp light would come on. I talked to a tech at panasonica and they asked me to remove lamp to verivy that that was the problem. Well the lamp looked fine no balck spots or broken glass but I called a sevice center and they sent a tech out and he plugged the same lamp in and it started right up no problem. He puts a new lamp in anyway thinking that the original is about to go south. 2 days later the same thing happens with a new lamp in it . I take the lamp out for several hours and plug it back in and the TV works until I turn it off the its a no go when trying to restart. What the Hell could this problem stem from ? Ballast ? faulty connectors ? Any Ideas?

Abbotsford, BC Canada

Post Number: 3
Hi i have the pt-43lc14 and i have not seen one post with this model having any issues. has anyone actually had issues with this model or any of the lc14 models? thanks

Username: Sparky48

Chicago, Illinois USA

Like all the rest of you my bulb also went out in my PT-50LC13. I have a APC UPS (1KW) and another surge arrestor in line with the UPS runing my set and other equipment. I was not home when the service tech replaced the lamp unit, but I did talk with him. He told me my hours counter was at ~2505 hrs on the bulb and he did not see any discoloration of the bulb. We run the set about 6 hours a day and the failure occured in about 16 months.

Lucky for us we had a warranty that covered the bulb. But....

I am an electrical engineer and also run a part time business repairing monitors. I do not want to pay $300 every 1.5 years like others. I would like to research the bulb problem, only thing is I do not have a bad bulb unit. Service took my bad unit with them. I am assuming that there is more to the unit than just the bulb. I also assume that some of these faiures may be do to other components in that bulb assembly. I would pull mine and inspect it, but I am afraid I may void the warranty which still has 2.5 years to go, besides it is working and it will not tell me what goes wrong. Does anyone out there have a bad bulb unit, and even a bad balast unit they could give up? I will pay shipping and if I can fix it return it to you for a small repair fee.

Let me know.

Len Jenski (Sparky48)
ljenski@yahoo.com

docwebb
Unregistered guest
In f/u to my post above, my new lamp arrived from Panasonic. Plugged it in and the TV now works. Now that it is working, I was able to check the lamp life. Died after only 1571 hours!
The new lamp has a 3 month warranty.
OK, I am signing that petition now!

Abbotsford, BC Canada

Post Number: 4
how do you tell how much life you have used on your lamp?...

Chicago, Illinois USA

Not sure Darren. The service tech displayed that info when he changed the bulb. I was not home. Maybe someone else on this board knows?

docwebb
Unregistered guest
To display hours of lamp used:
With TV off, press the TV/video button on the remote at the same time your press the volume - button on the TV. Hold for about 7 seconds and the set will turn on and display hours used, plus some other information.
To get out of this menu, you have to turn the set off.

Chicago, Illinois USA

docwebb,

I see a total of 2527, current lamp 19 and another figure "LON" that is at 1459?

Is "LON" the number of power on cycles?

If so then my average time on is 1.732 hours per turn on.

Wonder how this affects the lamp life. I would assume power cycles are bad since it is during this time that temperature transitions are occuring stressing the components. It would be interesting to see some others post their LON number with the number of hours of ops before failure.

If their average on time is less than 1.73 ( as a starting point) and their life is less than 2500 hours, it will support the concept that you should leave the set on for long periods to prevent premature failure by reducing the number of power cycles. (Example: Some have had only 400 - 800 hours of life and if their average on time is say 0.75 hours, power cycles are reducing life)

docwebb
Unregistered guest
You are correct. My lamp hours were 1571, LON only 701, so to use your equation my average time per turn on was 2.24 hours. And my lamp still failed... Maybe just random defects in the lamps. But I am worried a faulty ballast may lead to premature lamp death, even if the ballast itself continues to function.

Chicago, Illinois USA

docwebb,

Well, your numbers compared to mine indicate power cycles appear to not have an effect. You have a longer average on time, but your lamp failed in ~ 1000 hours less. You are correct that if the ballast is defective (may be surging during power up, incorrect startup currents, or other characteristics) they would definitely shorten lamp life. These are more than likely (from the descriptions I see) electronic ballasts that have quite a few parts that could fail.

Username: Tinmann8

Tampa, Fla. United State...

I just had this new lamp installed by a tech and after 2 days it started doing the same thing as before. Flashing green for a few minutes then going to red and picture not coming on. I took the lamp out for 24 hrs, replaced it and the picture starts up right away. I called another service center and they are sending another tech out they think it might be the ballast.Now I'm afraid to turn it off.

Username: Tipis

Jacksonville, Florida United States

I just got the Panasonic Service Bulletin with the Service Manual I ordered. They are asking all Service tecks to fill out a form on the lamp life of the tv. And this is whenever a lamp is "replaced".
They want "exact times" is went out.

Sounds like they know they have a probem?????
If you send for the Service manual..for about 14.00$ total...you will be surprised at the information to fix the set. I will try to send a picture of the page which shows filter and balast.
Anyone want this?????

Bronze Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 18
You bet, Linda. I want it.

darren170
Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem as "Teddy R. Tinsley" with my PT50LC13. The bulb and ballast was replaced Friday and still no TV, Now they say the Light Engine Assembly needs to be replaced as per Panasonic Tech support.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 19
darren -- from personal experience, let me tell you this in advance. Apparently when replacing the light engine it's very easy and apparently common for a tech to break a delicate cable. At least that's what my tech told after he broke the cable and called Panasonic to identify the problem. When the light engine is replaced you might want ask the tech if he's aware of this and maybe suggest he call Panasonic before replacing the light engine. Otherwise, it might take you another ten days to get the set working while they order the cable.

If anyone wants pictures from the Service manual for the Panasonic pt-50lc13...send an email address to
tipisholley@yahoo.com
I will send good resolution pictures of what you want. righ now I have the fan area, filter and back view of how to take the set apart.
Linda Holley

To order Service manual...call 800-833-9626 cost 13.50$ total.

Linda Holley

two pictures of the pages talked about. they are at 100k for this site and cannot be uploaded due to the extreme extortion of the small scale. sorry, would have loved to put them up for all to see.
If someone needs pictures of certain details...write me and I will see what I can do.

Unregistered guest
Okie Doke, my bulb just went Sunday, 3-20. I was one of the first to buy this set when it came out (think maybe September, 2003?). Set developed a clump of dead pixels (4 in a square, dead center screen), so I had it replaced through Sears. Set was backordered, so the replacement didn't arrive until Dec. 12th, 2003.

So I'm looking at just about 15 months of use on the current set.

I just signed the petition. Next, I'm going to call Panasonic (after watching 24 on my old 27 inch CRT). They will likely tell me it's out of warranty, and I have to fork over $300. I will then:

-Call WTOP (WTOPnews.com), a DC area radio network that has a "call for action" consumer hotline.
-Call the better business bureau and file a former complaint
-Call my lawyer in Atlanta (was just there Friday) and discuss a class-action suit. I'm especially interested in this. He's a Duke/Harvard grad who's been practicing for 30 something years and is the senior partner in his firm. Currently working a class-action suit against Barnes & Noble in Georgia State court concerning their maintenance fees on gift cards.

I also may try calling my insurance company and see if this is covered under their home-owner policy (may be less than the deductible though).

Folks, I've been through this before with Delta Airlines. They lost $3500 worth of my belongings (two suitcases) and refused to reimburse me. Big corporations can, and will, take advantage of their consumers. However, if you raise a big enough stink, you can make it worth their while to shut you up. It took me two years of letters, phone calls, contacting agencies, etc., but Delta finally issued me a letter of apology and paid me.

The bulb needs to have a reasonable minimum life, and any bulbs that go bad before that life, need to be replaced for free. No one, and I mean no one, would have bought this set knowing that it is common for bulbs to go bad in a matter of months, with less than 1,000 hours on them...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I agree completely. Please keep us posted!

Greg Knoyle
Unregistered guest
A little update on my pt50lc13. Since docwebb so handily posted how to look at the lamp life I checked mine. To update those new to the thread my lamp went out when the unit was 9 months old. I guessed it had under 100 hours when it went. After looking at the statistics the total time in use is 456 hours the hours of use on the new lamp is 74 hours which puts the first lamp failure at 382 hours. For most people that would be all of about a month and a half of use. YIKES!!!

Unregistered guest
Another one out after a little over 12 months. Also it looks like my ballist is bad because the buld change out didn't fix the problem. Going to have to wait till wednessday to have it looked at further.

Allan in Canada, eh!
Unregistered guest
Hi all my friendly neighbors to the South. I have a PT-60LC13 that I bought on September 4, 2004. My wife came home on March 11, 2005 (209 days later) and was watching tv when she heard a pop from the next room and came in to find the screen blank. Yes it was the lamp assembly.

Since this happened on a Friday and all service centers in our area are closed on the weekends, it was Monday before we could do anything about it. The service technician came out on Thursday, but didn't order the part until the following Monday. It arrived 3 days later from Toronto, Ontario to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and I picked it up and installed it on that day.

Summary:
Days for Part to Arrive: 3 days
Days Out of Service: 13 days

Lamp Operation Time: 840 hours
LON Count: 249

Overall, I was not totally discouraged by my experience, but everything I have read here makes me concerned!!! Does anyone know if the warranty on the new bulb is one year from date of installation or is it one year from original date of LCD tv purchase? By the way, I paid nothing for the replacement as it was covered under warranty.

You were lucky...Once the warranty is gone on the TV...you are in the same boat as the rest of us unless you have an extented warrenty that covers for more than the one year. I am at 3 lamps/bulbs in 14month. I paid for the last two on my own. Ouch!!
Lamps do not seem to have a warranty of their own.

Oh...forgot to say...sighn the petition on these dang fangle tvs.

http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

frustrated
Unregistered guest
Update: My last post was on 3/15/05. Tech came out, showed him old bulb..he said it was still good...looked at new one...still good. Started working on it and tells me yes its the ballast that is bad. I saw that it is as "repeatasneeded" described, a shiny metal box about 10 to 12 inches long. There was a simple test that he performed that leaves no doubt that the ballast is the problem. He did not show me this test but basically he had the whole back open and tried to fire the bulb...he said he could observe the bulb tryin to come on but he ballast wouldnt let it. Another week goes by and the ballast kit (six parts in it) shows up. Tech installs it, set comes on..Yippee!...then after a few minutes dies...he says ballast is bad again! He is gonna talk to Panasonic and "check their database" to see if there is some other component causing the ballasts to go bad and will get back to me..hopefully within a few days. The estimate I got for replacing the ballast was about $529.00 total....now the tech says "obviously we will have to give you a revised estimate". I hate Panasonic for disrupting all our lives. Does anybody want to host a video of me torching it? Im serious here...it would make me feel better to just get rid of it I think at this point. More to come after I get my revised estimate...

Username: No_mo_panny

Seaford, NY

Hi; I'm a New York PT-50LC13 owner who just blew the bulb after about 14 months/1200 hours. Mike: let me know if there's anything we can do.

Unregistered guest
My PT-50LC13 will turn on normally for about 20 seconds then turn itself back off and the LAMP light blinks red and the power light blinks red. I pulled the bulb out and it looks normal, no discoloration or any other noticable problem. I know the bulb is not "blown" because the TV will turn on and show a picture for about 20 seconds. Does it sound like I have a bad ballast? I went ahead and ordered another bulb. Should I replace the bulb and see what happens? I hate to gamble with my $300 bulb!
If anyone is going to file a class-action lawsuit against Panasonic for this, I will gladly join in. My bulb has 3175 hours on it. The owners manual clearly states I should expect approx 10,000 hours from my bulb...

Username: Leerose

An update on the repair on a PT-60LCX63. Ballast error March 15th. Local servicer, (Repair Group) as recommended by Panasonic, extremely rude and uncooperative. 2nd servicer checked on ballast part availability. "Out of Stock" w/2 week ETA. Got it kicked up to Panasonic Factory Service Rep. March 23 called Panasonic, note in record; Field Service Rep has arranged for Repair Group to do repair within 5 days of pickup. Called Repair Group, no pickup appt. avail. until March 29. Picked up March 29. Got a call yesterday and they returned it today. It's working for now. The service report says "Ballast Repair" but the part number used is a "Service Kit" not the ballast unit. We'll see how it does. Currently have 1171 hours on the 2nd bulb in 1 year.

frustrated
Unregistered guest
Another update. Repair shop called to tell me their tech has spoken with Panasonic and they have suggested he purchase an entire ballast. What he replaced before was not the ballast after all..it was just a repair kit for the ballast that contained six peices. The girl at the repair shop I spoke with was not able to give me a revised estimate though until the part comes in?!. I had previously checked on Panasonic's website for the price of a ballast and it was about $359.00. The repair shop had quoted me about $259.00 for the ballast repair kit. Just wanted everyone to know that these are two different items. I would say my orignal estimate of $529. will go up to $708.00 with another home visit and the higher cost of the part. PANASONIC HAS GOT US BY THE SNARGLIES!

Anonymous

How's the class action lawsuit coming? Is it moving along? There seems to be a lot of justification for one, I can't imagine not seeing it. I'm tempted to contact both my better business org and various legal authorities to find out what the next step is. My TV works for now (since getting the replacement ballast) but for how long?

badbulb
Unregistered guest
Another bad bulb here. Got 18 months out of it, and the only option for a replacement seems to be through pantv website.

Another Consumer Report best buy dud!

Send letters here:

Panasonic Corporation of North America
Consumer Affairs Division, Panazip 2F-3
One Panasonic Way
Secaucus, NJ 07094

Anonymous

I sure wished I had found this site before I purchased my TV. I have noticed however that the PT-50LC13 model is mentioned most. I just purchased a PT-50LC14. Is there any history with this model? (I am sure same bulb but maybe better setup??) I would return the set but where I purchased it from has a no return policy. (discount store). Buyers remorse!!!!

Anonymous

Hi I have a PT-45LC12 model and my tv stopped working after about 20 months of use. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with it, because it will turn on and stay on for a few minutes and look fine but then the picture will disappear. The tv is still on but there is no sound or picture and the lamp light and the power light will both blink red. Do you guys have any idea of what could be wrong? I was thinking lamp but then you're still able to view the picture albeit for a few minutes.

Username: 10000hoursmyass

I bought my PT-50LC13 in March, 2004... April 16, 2005 my lamp dies. Well I hope it's the lamp and not the ballast (whatever the hell that is.) I signed the petition. My warranty is expired so I have no choice but to pay for the stupid lamp out of my own pocket. I'm embarrased because I told my girlfriend how this TV was going to be the Sh*t. Now I feel like a total fool. There has to be a lamp or a high intesity flashlight to make this thing last forever. Does anyone know anything? Next time I'll stick with a 36" CRT. PANASONIC sucks!!! I live in New York City, I should go and protest at their headquarters in New Jersey. I'm pissed the F off. Damn I wish they would let you curse on this board. Good luck to all you guys on here.

jacek
Unregistered guest
Hey, anonymous. Why don't you read trableshooting in the manual. It explains all the blinking codes, maybe it is overheating.
My PT-45LC12 just blew the bulb at ~1600 hrs and this is how I found this site. I guess everyone is having problems with these RP TVs.

macie
Unregistered guest
Just ordered new lamp for $300.00 on model#PT-50LC13. We made the purchase instead of the Plasma due to plasma warranty. We've had a year 1/2 & now find out might have to replace annually? Ridiculous. Save reciepts for class action lawsuit.

unhappyPanUser
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the 60" version pt60lc14. I dont hear nothing about this model, even though it uses the same bulb. I want to return it before I lose my $3000 and get a CRT which apparently was made with alien tech because they last forever. I do not want to know nothing about bulbs or pixels going dead or stuck. Pixels can not be fixed unless the whole chip is replaced. The image is not that good compared to my old RCA 60" that the only defect it has is that it never fails to justify its replacement. I'll get a CRT HD and problem solved. Forgive me, but is pathetic to try to solve the bad engineering of a $3000 latest tech with radio shack fans. Instead of going forward we are going back with this new DLP, LCD, PLASMA crap. As someone said before, they should include of bottle of vaseline, and a box of matches. Maybe someone will come up with a giant LED lamp version that will never get hot or fail. My kid keeps the tv on all day and I dont want to be thinkin about hrs that it has been on or not to turn it back on when turned off when the price justifies to do it as fast as I can.

Post Number: 9
I have started contacting the TV stations that have the consumer trouble alert programs with copies of this site and the petition site. Also copies of my emails and letters to Panasonic. Start writing Panasonic and get a hold of the tv stations with details of this problem.

LETTER TO PANASONIC (Mailed Today)

Dear Panasonic;

I am the owner of a Panasonic PT-60LCX63 LCD Projection TV purchased on March 31, 2004 and am writing you because myself and many other Panasonic PT-xxLCxxx owners are having similar problems with this lamp and the ballast in these models.

I sent you a letter on March 18, 2005 regarding my set and the repair issues I was having with my ballast. I did get support from the Panasonic Field Service Rep and the unit is now in service. I did not however get a response to my letter from you.

Myself and a group of Panasonic PT series LCD projection TV owners are requesting that you provide replacement lamps for any bulb that fails withing the first 50% of the "Maximum 10,000 hours" life that is listed in the owners manual.

We understand completely that not all lamps will provide the full rated life and that the lamp life depends on factors such as: Number of Lamp On cycles, duration of lamp on cycles, condition of owners AC power, ambient heat at the location of the unit. None of these can explain the average of 1500-2000 hours that most owners are reporting. That 15-20% of the stated lamp maximum, as an average, is unacceptable. None of the owners would have considered purchasing this product had they known that they would be required to spend $300.00 for a replacement lamp every 8 to 16 months for average usage. This gives the unit a very poor total cost of ownership on a 5 year plan when rated against plasma and other technologies.

Should you not be willing to make your customers of this series of LCD projection sets an offer to accommodate the lack of life in the bulbs for these units, we feel that we may have no option but to file a class action suit against Panasonic. Please see the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

Your timely response, by mail or email to lee_rose@earthlink.net, will be a outstanding sign of your willingness to support your customers.

Wow...now that is a letter. Just sent a similar one to Panasonic this morning.

Good luck to us all and to those who are taking an affirmative action on this problem...and to the person who started this site and the Petition site.

Thanks again for that great letter.

Username: Crackedthecase

Black Eagle, Montana U. S. A.

WOW! Now the PT-60LCX63?! What a deal?

I am not a technician, and yet, I can see all the problems these sets are going to have and it is not looking like they are going to get better.

I guess I should use the television set like a regular family: That would be about ten hours of televsion a week. You know, watching the family hour on week days, or the favorite Soaps opera, then a movie with the whole family on the weekend.

The television might last a couple of months longer.

These bulbs don't like to get cold suddenly.

So, I better get it a blanket and cover it before I open a window letting in the frigid air.

These ballasts sweat and mainboards get hot and expand, so, while running long shows or playing computer games for hours, I better open a vent in back to let off the heat that is making the mainboard and ballast sweat too much before it causes another breakdown.

I recommend everyone who loves the idea of these sets gets the Extended Service Plan when they buy their next one.

Get a back up bulb so the delays in time while waiting for the new ones aren't driving you crazy.

Anyone thought of cleaning out the vents and the fans blades once a week or so. I vacuumed out the insides of the Bulb case before putting in the new bulb and the picture was incredibly brighter for a about ten days. Dust! Yes! I said, DUST!

Tried all that? Then, send me your fact sheet and I will sign your petition. No fact sheet, no sign.

CHRISRY1995
Unregistered guest
PT45LC12 HOUR METER RESET:
TURN ON T.V. WAIT UNTIL "RESET METER" MESSAGE GOES
PUSH VOL. DOWN ON T.V. AND PUSH PLAY/PIP BUTTON ON REMOTE AT SAME TIME. PUSH UNTIL "HOUR METER RESET" MESSAGE APPEARS.

azeric
Unregistered guest
I've had a pt-50lc13 since July 2004, it just
stopped working a few days ago. I checked the bulb, it is fine. So something else is wrong with it. I have my reliable cheapy 17" tube TV hooked up now next to it.

Anyways, I saw something under the Lamp Replacement instructions in the user manual-- that
tells you how to get the fan to run for 10 minutes
when you shut the TV off. Maybe if this was done
everytime the TV is shutoff-- it would help prevent problems.

Unregistered guest
My first bulb went out after about 6 mos. Of course it happen 10 minutes into the last game of the world series - I guess I will have to wait 82 years to see that again. Anyways, I called Panny at 9:02 am, only waited about 30 seconds, they asked me to remove my buld and check it, it was blown - they sent me a new one which arrived in two days - I was happy with the service. They said that they sold thousands and thousands of these TV and although I was on of the many of broken bulbs the percentage of bad bulds vs tv sold is not that bad - but the people who have broken bulbs are mad (rightfully so) and make posts (that I have read). I was happy with the service that Panny gave me but I will not be happy if this keeps happening it has been almost 6 more months, I have a chance at getting the EXT warranty before my year happens and am seriously considering it. This sounds like an expensive TV

azeric
Unregistered guest
My pt-50lc13 ended up needing a ballast kit installed, after having the TV since July 2004.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE ALSO BEEN A SUCKER TO PANASONIC MY BULB ON MY PT50LC13 AFTER LESS THAN A 1000 HOURS. I HOPE THAT IS ALL THAT IN WRONG. IM HOME MORE THAN HAPPY TO BE IN ON THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT PLEASE KEEP ME UPDATED.

Anonymous

I have a PT50lC13 for alittle over a year now and had to replace 2 new bulbs on it. I hope you all have better luck with yours than I have had with mine. I tried calling Panasonic but they seem to think that it is some how my fault. I don't watch that much TV and I know that the bulbs should have a better life to them than this. These bulbs are not cheap. Your talking $300.00 each time the bulb goes out. If you have alot of problems with yours, their is a Petition out online to try to get Panasonic to accept some kind of fault for this. The web site is http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html
Take a look and see what you think. So far they have 327 signatures with the bulb problem.

Thanks

N
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how much the extended warranty plans are in Canada?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Panasonic Corporation of North America
Consumer Affairs Division, Panazip 2F-3
One Panasonic Way
Secaucus, NJ 07094

I did send a letter to this address and stated, in a detailed manner, what the problem is...
Well, they called me today....
You have got to write these people and let let them know. They seem a bit clueless that there is a problem...or they are just glassing it over. But you have to write them and let them know.

If you do not say something...it will not get done.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
OH...FORGOT...they now say the bulb or lamp is only good for 5000 hours. Gee, like we all hadn't found that out...some at 500 hours..others at 1000 or so.
If any of us know this...would we have bought the set???

redwing09
Unregistered guest
I have a Pt43lc14 I bought it 3 months ago no problem yet

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Called Panasonic at 800-211-7262 (Pana)..they were VERY cooperative and are trying to fix the situation. If you call, be nice...have your model # ready...and the dates of when you bought the tv, any calls or letters you wrote, and the hours or months the lamps or balast lasted.
You will have to pay for the "evaluation" and getting the tv to the repare site or them comming out...but Panasonic is NOW aware...there is a problem. If they can diagnose it why the lamp goes...Panasonic will pay for all the parts.
But, again...be patient and nice. It looks like they are want to help you out...so far.

I am calling the service repaire center they gave to to go to...and will see from there.
This site and the Petition site are what helpd. Panasonic was not aware these existed...now they are...and they are looking.

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
It's about time! And it shouldn't have taken this site or a petition site for them to be aware, simple stats on their problem database should have been loud and clear. I'm upset for me and for all the folks that spent their hard earned money on this TV and are now wondering when their bulb/ballast will go. Shame, shame shame on Panasonic. I will think long and hard before I every buy a Panasonic product again.

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
5000 hours? Has anyone gotten that "much"? I doubt it.

Chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
People should put that petition in their sig for posting on forums and blogs, and on their websites. That will boost it in the search rankings so that the chance of somebody seeing in after they enter "Panasonic" is greater. If you think Panasonic is aware of the issue now, wait until that petition shows up on page 1 of the results for a google search. High tech to the rescue.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Have talked with My tech person here in Jax.fla., which is going to cost me 85. and found out that they are have a number of these Panasonic and JVC and Samsongs (sp) come in with the lamp problem.

They are finding out that it is a balast which is blowing the lamps. Like we didn't know that too. But, mine should have been replaces when the lamp went in Mar. 2004 and was't. Sooooo, if this is the major problem...Panasonic should pay for the new balast and work..right...we will see when the come out may 31.

Username: Iggy

Orlando, FL United States

I may be in thew market for a new big screen TV, but after reading this and one other thread, I'll stay away from the digital projectors. The price for a projector bulb is crazy.

Several of you have expressed displeasure with the fact that you have dead or bright pixels that the manufacturer won't fix because thay say it's normal. Well, it is. Sorry.
I work for a company that builds simulators for the military. We use LCD displays and digital projectors on many of our systems and dead or bright pixels are a way of life. The manufacturers will not fix under warranty or repair any display with missing or bright pixels that are under a certian size,amount, or number. As wrong as is may seem, that's just the way it is.

I'm not trying to tell you to accept it or trying to say the manufacturer is right by not wanting to fix it or make good on a warranty.
Just passing on my experience with the technology.

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
The issue for me with dead pixels isn't so much that it's hard to understand how they can happen, it's not. Technically, it's astounding that so many perfect screens get through. However, what's abysmal is the industries failure to be up front and open about the issue before the purchase. I don't know anyone who has dead pixels that was told "now, realize, you may get these things called dead pixels, and one or two are normal". That may seem naive, but it's also naive for the industry to look upon consumers as the dumb ones for being surprised when they find out about the wild world of dead and stuck pixels. Therefore, the industry shouldn't expect the consumer to take any other position than either being satisfied at the status quo pixel policy or rejecting it for not being what the expected (and what they weren't told about).

I have to say, I'd welcome a couple more dead pixels (mine 50LC13 has two) in exchange for 5000 hours of bulb life.

Unregistered guest
Well sorry to say but I purchased the PT-50LC13 on May 15 2004 and on May 10 2005 my TV died. When I turn on power it just blinks green and then goes to blink red and lamp light blinks every 5 seconds. Called Pano and they had me take out the lamp, it looks fine so repairman came out and says it looks like a bad ballast. Best case will get the ballast in a week then schedule a installation. So most likely I am looking a 2 weeks to a month of being out of service. Very disappointing. Especially after reading about all these other problems. At least mine went out within warranty...barely. But for now it looks like I will be on my own. Ugh.....

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
Can the bulb still be used when the ballast goes, or is it somehow tainted?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
The bulb is probably still good, but the balast controls the heating and intesity of the unit. I wouldn't.

Hey, call and write the number given. I have found out, as of today, that the warrenty service center in my area...is now only doing warrenties from Jacksonville, Gainesville and on up to SC. The other centers seem to be closing down and this is all they do now. They are also telling the costomers to call Panasonic about this problem and they are starting to give out this web site as of today. Hope this helps others in out sinking boat.

Well I finally heard back from Panasonic. Here's what the letter from a Donald Eppinger, Consumer Affairs Division said;

BEGIN QUOTE
"We are aware that a number of people who purchased Panasonic projection Tv's are not currently happy because of their experience with the Ultra High Pressure Mercury Lamp used in those TV's and we look forward to satisfying you and the other valued customers."

"To put the problem into some context, while the Ultra High Pressure Mercury Lamp are expensive, they are still light bulbs. Light bulbs blow out from time to time and need to be replaced. You should also know that based upon the best information that we have, the vast majority of people who have purchased Panasonic projection TVs hav not experienced the kinds of premature burnout you and others have seen."

"So here's what we are doing to address the problem."
"----We are extending the limited warranty on the original UHPM Lamp included with the new unit, from 90 days to 18 months, from the original date of purchase of the Panasonic Projection Televsion with model numbers PTxxLCx3."
"----If you have experienced repeated lamp failures, or otherwise suspect that there may be a defect on your TV causing the Lamp failures, we will arrange for an in-home inspection and, if necessary, repair of you TV."
"----If you have already purchased a replacement Lamp for your TV an provide us with proff of purchase, we will refund the purchase cost of the Lamp or lamps, to you."
"----Any additional replacement Lamp will carry a one year manufactures warranty, rather than a 90 day, limited warranty."

"We are truly sorry that you experienced dissatisfaction with you Panasonic Projection TV and appreciate the opportunity to turn you into a loyal Panasonic customer."

END QUOTE

Well I'm glad to hear that they realize there is an issue and getting the replacement lamp warranty up to a year is good. I'm still not happy that there seems to be a $300.00/year cost of ownership with these units. I know that "Light Bulbs blow out from time to time and need to be replaced" but my decision to purchase was based on a TCO for 5 years of the purchase price, based on their lamp hour rating. Even if I got 50% of their rating the TCO would only be $300 for 5 years based on my usage.

We'll see where this lead.

Chris Duck
Unregistered guest
I've been out of the country for a while, and unable to resolve the issue with my tv, until I read the above post by Lee. I called Panasonic last night, and within 5 minutes they told me they would mail me a free bulb. They already had my warranty claim and a copy of my receipt on file, as I had previously sent the stuff in (they denied my claim because the TV was over 12 months old). Now it's 17 months and 22 days old, so it JUST falls under that 18 month window, lol.

Anyway, I'm pleased that I'm getting a new bulb, but nervous that the warranty period on the new bulbs will only be 12 months and not 18. We'll see how it goes from here...

Anonymous

Just got off the phone with Panasonic and I am not having the luck y'all have had. I've gone through 3 bulbs in 20 months... the most recent purchased for $300 in 2/05. The service rep said the warranty is only for 3 months on the replacements but 18 months on the original. I requested to speak with a manager and they will be calling me back within 48 hours.

QChabot
Unregistered guest
Just to let you guys know the problem exists on the newer models also. I have the PT60LC14 and im waiting on my 3rd bulb right now in 3 months.

Chris Duck
Unregistered guest
Got the bulb and installed it. The documentation that came with the bulb clearly says the warranty is 12 months, not 3.

Unregistered guest
For Sale: Service Manuals for the PT-43LC14,
PT-50LC14 and PT-60LC14
I have four (4) of them left.
Price is $10 with free shipping.
You can PayPal me at jd42765@aol.com
or e-mail me at the same address for more info.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
By linda Holley

Called the service people who LOOKED at my set without taking anything apart...They are replacing the balast. The part will be here in a week or less. Looks like Panasonic is paying for everything including the service call I didn't get billed for in the first place...so far?
And get the service manual for your model...it is a good deal. I am NO longer sending the pictures out to emailers. Sorry, but I have to finish a book and cannot take the time to re-scan the pages i originially sent.

Also, it would be a good idea to call the warrenty service people or person in your area and give them this email address to complain, write Panasonic and sign the petition. The more we get the better...it has been this site and the letters to Panasonic that are the biggest help.
From all this they have expanded the warrenties on the TVs from 12 to 18 months and are not replacing for free all lamps that have been blown in that time period, with reciepts. So...lets keep it up!

Patrick2
Unregistered guest
The tech just left my house, had to put the kit in the ballast and replace the bulb. After reading some of these posts and other questions I read, I decided to take pics of all the parts inside the TV while he was working on it.

This way everyone can see what the ballast looks like and fuse and stuff. By the way ... no you can not put the bassalt kit in yourself someone trained needs to do it. I also wouldn't replace the ballast (whole) either.

There are VERY many plugs and things you must take out to get it out and the tech told me that several of the plug/wires have a coating that can break easly and you don't want that to happen.

If you want me to set something up so you can see that pictures and discriptions let me know here and I will build something up on my web page.

Also the TV had 2750 hrs on bulb

Patrick2
Unregistered guest
The tech just left my house, had to put the kit in the ballast and replace the bulb. After reading some of these posts and other questions I read, I decided to take pics of all the parts inside the TV while he was working on it.

This way everyone can see what the ballast looks like and fuse and stuff. By the way ... no you can not put the bassalt kit in yourself someone trained needs to do it. I also wouldn't replace the ballast (whole) either.

There are VERY many plugs and things you must take out to get it out and the tech told me that several of the plug/wires have a coating that can break easly and you don't want that to happen.

If you want me to set something up so you can see that pictures and discriptions let me know here and I will build something up on my web page.

Also the TV had 2750 hrs on bulb

Anonymous

I am happy to say that Our PT-50LC13 is working again thanks to "Mike" who was an earlier poster and had listed the telephone # at Panasonic to call for a lamp replacement. We called June 23 on a Thursday and on Monday we received a new one. We replaced it following the directions and then put the broken lamp into the box and called the # to have it picked up at our home yesterday (Tuesday). We paid nothing. Hopefully, we will have better luck with this new lamp and not have to go through all that we did this time. Thank you, "Mike" for your info you posted on how to get a free lamp replacement.

Anonymous

Update on my saga...
Finally heard back from Panasonic Consumer Affairs. As a quick background I've gone through 3 lamps in 20 months and paid $300+ for the last bulb.

Panasonic agreed to reimburse me for the lamp I purchased, is sending me a new lamp and paying for my TV to be serviced at my home.

Based on other posts it seems like the ballast (which I believe regulates the current passing through the lamp (I could be wrong about that)) is likely defective and causing the burn out problems in these TVs. (just my opinion)

To those that have had problems I'd recommend contacting Panasonic Consumer Affairs (address in on Panasonics website) and asking for a technician to inspect your TV and don't forget to document all your problems and correspondence.

Thanks to all of you have posted the information has been extremely helpful and especially for the previous posts about Panasonic Consumer Affairs!!!

Russ in SLC
Unregistered guest
PT45LC12 HOUR METER RESET...I starting getting the "time to replace lamp and reset hour meter" message on TV startup, although the lamp works fine. I've seen a couple of posts here describing how to get rid of this message. I also called Panasonic Customer Service and got the same instructions; i.e., turn set on with "replace lamp and reset hour meter..." box showing, push TV's Volume (-) and push PIP Play button on remote at same time, holding both until reset message appears. I've tried this a dozen times, checking to make sure remote mode is on "TV" and not some other component, etc. and it doesn't work. Anybody have any experience with this problem or an opinion on why it wouldn't work? Any information appreciated.

Bronze Member

Just talk to the Panasic Tech who is working on my set. They are replacing BALAST on all the sets as well as the lamps. So far in the last few months in the Jacksonville area, they have replaced 400 lamps.
They have talked to the main Panasonc people who are really aware of the problem. So keep writing the company and calling. Also, my tech said something abou the balast "kit" that is being sent out is not as good as a Balast something or other. The new Balast are much more heavy duty to take the heat.

And dust is a big problem. Do not have these sets built into a wall. If you do...keep some air circulating to keep the heat down. I have had a small fan blowing air around my set. Turn it on when the tv is playing and turn it off about 15 min. after set if off.

Wilburg
Unregistered guest
I just went through my second light bulb in one year, both times the light bulb went a day after a sudden power loss. This time I did but a battery back-up and was able to shut the tv and let the fan cool, but to no avail, the light bulb broke the next day.

A month ago, I bought the Circuit city advantage plan. I am happy with thier service, albiet it was a little slow on the phone, and every person that I spoke to spoke broken english, they immediately (no questions asked) are sending me a new light bulb. I arranged it to be sent overnight, but I missed the deadline and now will have to wait the long holiday weekend.

Username: Franchised1

No offense to anyone. But I am also a victim of the panasonic 50LC13. But we need to get more organized on these boards to better help each other. If your not a registered member, get registered. Put down your state and city as well. That way If I'm in the same city we look better going to the paper, TV, or consumer affairs. Also put down a way to contact you. even if its a hotmail address you make up just for this subject. One other thing put down the name of the store you got the paperweight from. I dont want this repaired, I want my money back. I refuse after this thing is out of warranty to pay one dime to get this fixed. Does everyone agree to this?

Mickey-FL
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how to REVIEW the lamp hours to-date (I don't want to reset the hours as yet) on the screen when the TV is turned on? I saw some messages posted above about how to reset the LON hours. My model number is PT-60LCX63 and I have just put in a new lamp. I would like to monitor my TV/Lamp usage and lamp life going forward.

Anonymous

I also bought the Lemon-50LC13, two bad bulbs less than two years and one stuck pixel. Panasonic replaced both bulbs for free, I did not ask about the pixel because it is outside THEIR warranty. I did though buy the TV with an American Express card which doubles the original warranty. I am getting Amex to fix my pixel under their warranty.

"Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 12:54 pm:
Does anyone know how to REVIEW the lamp hours to-date (I don't want to reset the hours as yet) on the screen when the TV is turned on? I saw some messages posted above about how to reset the LON hours. My model number is PT-60LCX63 and I have just put in a new lamp. I would like to monitor my TV/Lamp usage and lamp life going forward."

Hold the TV/Video Key on the REMOTE while pressing the Volumne Down button on the TV for at least 5 sec. and the service menu should come up with the bulb hours and LON (Lamp On Number)

wowbagger
Unregistered guest
My lamp went out yesterday after 10 months.

Since the service was closed, I went surfing for lamps to buy- I thought it would not be covered since I didnt shell out $400 they wanted for the extended warranty. I found this forum, and had HOPE!

Called Panasonic today to ask for a replacement. They agreed and gave them a credit card(to insure return of the old lamp) sent them a fax with my receipt, and I should get my new lamp in 2 days (they said if they get the fax before 3pm, you get the lamp in 2 days)

This new lamp will have a 1 year warranty.

My only issue is that getting through was horrible. I was waiting on the phone for over 55 minutes!!

I feel like if it wasnt for some people in this forum, I would be paying 300 for a new lamp. So a big THANK YOU!!!!

Sharon

PS. I opened the back of the unit (before realizing the lamp was in front- duh!) and there was sooooo much dust in there!! What is the recommended maintenance for the dust? Do I stick a blow dryer in there to get rid of it, or what?

Username: Tperk100

Virginia Beach, VA United States

Own PT-50LC13 since 12/03. As of today set comes on normally and plays for about 3 to 5 minutes and then turns off. The POWER indicator flashes red and does not stop flashing even after a LONG time. The red LAMP indicator flashes every 6 or 7 seconds or so. I removed the lamp and it looks OK. I know the fan is running because I can hear and see it. I am baffled as to why the set would look normal when on , but then shut down with a LAMP warning. I can repeat this over an over.

Hopefully someone here can tell me what is wrong.
Thanks a million!

Tom mine does the same thing dude, I replaced the lamp when it blew and now it just shuts off. I had Sound Advice come out and they put in a ballast kit. Well guess what it didnt work TV still shuts off. I sent a letter to my Attorney General, CEO of Panasonic, and CEO of Tweeter where I got this piece of crap. I want my money back

Anonymous

From David K.:
I called Panasonic today. Sounds like they are gpoing to replace the lamp. In fact, the guy I spoke with indicated that someone would come out to my place and check the entire set. He said that someone would call me within the next couple of days. Wait time on the consumer affairs line was 40 minutes. I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

chris in sd
Unregistered guest
I bought my PT50LC13 in June of '04. In November of '04, the first bulb blew out. It was replaced and the TV lasted another four months. In March of '05, the bulb blew out again. The service center came out and replaced the bulb and the ballast, assuring me that would fix the problem once and for all. It did, for another four months. The bulb blew out again, last week. And the service center is now telling me that after a thorough inspection in a controlled environment, the television seems to be in perfect working order. They say I just got a bad bulb. In actuality, it's three bad bulbs that all happened to die with the same amount of hours on them (4 months, 1000 hours), like clockwork. The odds of that, obviously, are nil. What we have is a fundementally flawed unit, and a company thatnot only refuses to back it up, but does everything in its power to hold the customers off until the warranty expires. Panasonic know these televisions are garbage, they knows they've robbed thousands of consumer blind, and they do nothing but cover their own a***s. In a just world, acting like this would bury a company forever. I don't know how they get away with it, it's beyond infuriating. I don't know what else to say, I'm just at a loss.

chris in sd
Unregistered guest
I bought my PT50LC13 in June of '04. In November of '04, the first bulb blew out. It was replaced and the TV lasted another four months. In March of '05, the bulb blew out again. The service center came out and replaced the bulb and the ballast, assuring me that would fix the problem once and for all. It did, for another four months. The bulb blew out again, last week. And the service center is now telling me that after a thorough inspection in a controlled environment, the television seems to be in perfect working order. They say I just got a bad bulb. In actuality, it's three bad bulbs that all happened to die with the same amount of hours on them (4 months, 1000 hours), like clockwork. The odds of that, obviously, are nil. What we have is a fundementally flawed unit, and a company thatnot only refuses to back it up, but does everything in its power to hold the customers off until the warranty expires. Panasonic knows these televisions are flawed, they have to know they've robbed thousands of consumer blind -- they just care to do anything about it. I've never seen such blatant disregard for customers in my life as I have with Panasonic. I don't know how they get away with it and stay in business -- it's beyond infuriating. I don't know what else to say, I'm just at a loss.

heather m in IN
Unregistered guest
I have to agree Chris. I can't even get ahold of the warranty department to get my bulb free. I have been trying to call for two weeks and continuously get a busy signal. Haven't gotten a response to any emails either. Kind of funny that they can't transfer me to the warranty group when I call the 800 number to the parts department.

Unregistered guest
We bought our Jan.04. Our bulb just went out. We purchased one from a third party and are waiting delivery. We don't know how to replace it, if anyone can advise. We ARE goint to order the service manual. We have signed the petition. Is this going to be the basis of the class action? Any info about that is appreciated.

As soon as we get a new lamp and can diplay hours and LOC's I will post it. Ours is on all of the time, so our hours to LOC ratio should be high.
By the way, Best Buy sucks! When I called them, they told me there were 4 lamps in this set.

Post Number: 6
I can help. I have the 50LC13 but I believe its all the same. There is a plastic panel at the base of the tv in the front that can be removed. Take that off. On the left hand side you will see a small screw that will open a panel, inside of that panel is where the bulb housing sits. There is another screw that hold this house in its place, loosen that screw, do not remove just loosen. Grab the handle and pull the whole part out. Voila. Your done. Please register with the forum too so we know who you are and where your from. Be sure that the tv is off when you do all of this

Bronze Member
Username: Cyco

Post Number: 37
Bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us