Archive through November 14, 2004

Anonymous

Does anyone who owns the Panny 50 or 60 inch
lcd rp tv have any lamp problems? I only heard
of one fan problem. Is this the most reliable
lcd rp tv out there at this time? If you own
one of these sets let me know of the good/bad.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
I own the 50" and it has been a dream come true. Perfect in every way. No Fan noise, Awesome picture, reliable in every way. There hasn't been a negative side. Boy it's nice to finally win on a purchase.

The lamp according to the book says it has a max life of 10,000 hours. That puts me at about 7 to 8 years of TV viewing. I can handle that.

Anonymous

hi PanFan...do you have comments on the lcx model?

PanFan
Unregistered guest
I don't know anything on the lcx model. I have the PT-50LC13 50" LCD.
I did't go with the stand from panasonic I thought it was small, and the tv hanging off looked dumb to me. I went with a Bush Model VS74377-03. The T.V. fit better then I thought and I have self room for dvd, receiver, vhs, accoustimas, cassette, players. No wires show, it has two routing channels in back. I have received many complements on how nice it looks.

Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
i have the pt60lc13.
The only complaint i have is the customer service
guy from panasonic talked to me like i was stupid
and he had other things to do. Like talk to more
customers. Its not like I bought a 50$ radio.
Maybe they need to pay their tech support more $.
Also this model doesnt exist according to panasonic. The TV looks good even turned off. The timewarner cable dude thought it was a plasma.

ctompkins
Unregistered guest
I have the PT-50LC13, and I loved it for a month and a half, but then the lamp apparently blew. I spent $3000 for a month of great TV. Now it has been taken out of our family room awaiting a new lamp that is not due in for over 2 weeks. I originally bought a Hitachi 50", but I couldn't stand the fan noise. The fan noise on my Panasonic doesn't bother me at all.

One strange thing that has happened is that the volume will cut out at certain times. I change the station, and the sound comes back. It also sometimes happens when I use the Scene Selections in DVD's. It is very odd. It is like it only happens when graphics come on the screen like the weather maps on the news, the Scene Selections menu in DVD's and the menus in the Cable On Demand menus. It is very strange, and it never happened with the Hitachi or the 27" that is being used until my set is fixed. Again, it is sporadic. It happens once every other day or so.

Username: Tkelly

Lawrence, Kansas USA

YES- I have the 50", and only three months in, the bulb is out. Its covered under warranty, but after that's up, I was qouted $500-750... Anyways this is the second hd (high dollar) TV I've purchased that has broken in less than a year (the other irrepairable). Sorry to vent, any suggestions would be very well received!!!

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 32
tk,
you've had some bad luck. A new HID lamp
should be 300. Get an aux fan, these tv's
run hot. Heat kills electronics.

cttompkins
Unregistered guest
The problem that I have with my PT-50LC13 apparently is not the lamp. They changed it out and it still doesn't work (and the old lamp looked fine). I will keep you updated as to what the repairman finds out.

Also, the strange volume problem turned out to be caused by my cable box after all.

cttompkins
Unregistered guest
The problem with my PT-50LC13 was a bad Ballister (sp?). I hope the new one lasts more than a month and a half.

DMcGrath
Unregistered guest
Just got the 50LC13 yesterday. Very happy after waiting awhile to make the purchase. Only issue is that when using DVI input on non-HDTV signals there is a line at the bottom of the screen. Tried another DVI cable with no luck. Any suggestions on whether or not it is the TV or cable box?

BSea
Unregistered guest
No picture on my 65 day old Pana PT50-LCX63. Service company sent two men who were said to technicians, they had to return the set to the shop for repair, knowing this by just looking at the unpluged TV. Inital call to Pana 4/28/04, TV picked up by "technicians" 5/3/04, I'll keep you informed of status............

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 58
mcgrath,
have you tried connecting with component ?

Username: Tkelly

Lawrence, Kansas USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all the input.
A couple things that will hopefully help all of you having lamp problems.
First I have seen lamp auctions on ebay for pan hid lamps that go to other models for about $150. The lamps for the ptlc13's are currently on back order for at least a month. Hopefully once they get up to speed there will be some cheaper deals out there.
Also, Panasonic has an exchange program for the lamps where they hold the ammount on a credit card until they receive the broken one. Taking the lamp out, although not the easiest task, is not too hard (need a 6" #1 screwdriver w/a magnetic head). In my case it was obvious the lamp was broken after I took it out. Hope this helps.

mcgrath,
I've heard of this being a problem of the receiver before in forums when I was looking for a hd receiver. Particularly of the older sony hd receivers I think.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 59
not sure if i would buy a lamp on ebay. rather
pay the 300 from a reputable dealer.

BSea
Unregistered guest
My Pana PT50-LCX63 returned today, 5/06/04 with new lamp So far so good, any problems I will notify ....
This warranty center is 70 miles from here, TV picked up Monday and returned Thursday, that's some service as far as I'm concerned !!

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 61
back in action

mcgrath
Unregistered guest
Connected with component and there is no line at the bottom. I'm thinking the line is coming from the comcast HD receiver.
The picture is visually the same quality with the component connection, what are the advantages of using DVI over component?

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 66
dvi is a pure digital connection but i talked
to a panasonic tech and he said there is no
difference in picture quality. When i had the
components hooked up my tv would freeze with
funny lines, i think its a cable box prob not
my tv.

Unregistered guest
The HID lamp on my PT-50LC13 failed after 8 months. Panasonic says they are back-ordered 30+ days and I haven't been able to locate the lamp through any other sources. Anyone know of a spare HID lamp in stock anywhere?

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 67
wtf, thats absurd.
try www.partsolver.com/Search.asp?sw=Panasonic&mfn=Panasonic&s=Google&LID=6977212
does that mean if you buy the lamp elsewhere you
get to eat the cost. I've only had my tv for
a month and a half if it blows before the year
warranty i will be pissed off if panasonic doesnt
have a lamp for me. keep us posted on your
situation.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 68
paul,
just curious how many hours before your lamp
blew. There should be a meter near the lamp.
im thinking that 10000 hrs which the manual
says it should last is an optimistic estimate
by panasonic.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 71
forgot to add this site for lamps
www.tritronicsinc.com/cgi-bin/onramp.exe?pgm=itemdet_cs.bbx&id=TY-LA1000&custnum =RETAIL&password=0429193212

Anonymous

We purchased our Panny 50LC13 in March of this year. Yesterday, the bulb blew out. I called the number on the paper attached to the back of the tv that said "If the lamp needs to be replaced within the TV's warranty (1 year from date of purchase), you can obtain the replacement lamp free by calling....... WHAT A LIE!!! Called the number and was told that I had to call somewhere else to obtain the part for free. Called that number and they told me to call the first number again! Then they finally told me that to honor the warranty I had to have a service tech come out and verify that the part was bad... Hello!! broken glass inside the bulb casing means broken bulb!! I don't have to be a technician to figure that one out. Now I am waiting to see if they can find a service tech in my area to come out and see me. I love the TV but the service SUCKS!!!! I got news for them, the warranty says in-home and I am not taking it to a service place for them. They can come to me!! Any ideas on where I can purchase a replacement bulb in case it takes months for panasonic to replace it? They told me item was on backorder at least until June 4!! Thanks.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 75
scroll up, there are 2 places but i havent used
their services "yet".

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 76
these pannies lamps dont last very long.
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Ive only
had my tv for 2 months, fingers are crossed.

Username: Bjenn1455

Harvest, AL USA

Anyone own the Panasonic PT60LCX63? It's a 60 inch rear projection LCD. I can't tell the difference between it and the Panasonic PT60LC13 - except for a price difference. I'm thinking about buying one of these two but it sounds like there are a lot of bulb problems. Anyone help?

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 82
yep i have the PT60LC13. The X63 i believe has
a built in HD tuner. But when i do a search at
panasonic they say that my TV does not exist.
This TV displays HD nicely but SD looks like
crap. U may want to check out Lcos.

Unregistered guest
We bought our Panasonic PT-50LC13 Nonember 13, 2003 and lamp blew on may 12, 2004. Same story, lamps back ordered we waited 3 weeks to receive. lamp installed, still black screen. Tech now ordered lamp ballast, so now we wait again. Panasonic Customer Service is terrible, and rude and insulting as well!

I also found out that they requir repair techs to confirm lamp failure then order then replace, however they only pay for ONE servicecall no matter how many calls rae required.

Is it is time for a Class Action suit! Interested?

Unregistered guest
I purchased my 50" Panasonic Dec. 13, 2003. June 12, 2004 apparently thelamb blew. I have 4 year in home warranty but was told the lamb was not covered.
They have to find a service center to come and check our set.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 95
seems like 6 months is the ave for lamps.
yeah panasonic customer service needs alot of
improvement. its only been 3 months for me,
i'm hoping that the additional aux fan is keeping
the lamp cooler and may increase its life.

Unregistered guest
It appears that I am the ultimate dupe for the Panasonic
PT-50LC13... After purchasing one, from a great recommendation from by brother-in-law in Wooster, Ohio, I had three of them delivered from R.C.Willey here in Las Vegas... The first, the lamp went out in two weeks; the second, they delivered a used one; the third, the lamp went out within a week... I told them to pick it up and I was finished with Panasonic. Then, after two months of hearing how great my kinfolk's set was, I bought another from Circuit City, being assured there have been no lamp problems with their 50 inch TV's. It has been working fine for two months, however, with every breath I take turning on the set, I anticipate those inevitable five-flashing-amber-lights. About a month after my purchase my brother-in-law informed me that his went out and they wait, and wait, and wait for a new lamp and repair. After extensive research and I have discovered that R.C.Willey, Circuit City and most certainly PANASONIC, are fully aware of the problem, but continue to promote and sell without making the customer aware of this major problem. It appears that making money is their only concern, no matter how they do it. Shame on you Panasonic...

Felgnerlabs
Unregistered guest
I've had my 50in. 6mos. lamp went fri. morn.
3 weeks until lamp comes in? But it is a nice
picture.

Username: Klemsaba

Well I have a problem with my PT-50LC13. It comes on for about 2 minutes then shuts down. The power light blinks red and the lamp light blinks once every 5 seconds. The fan runs constantly until I unplug the TV. Then the cycle starts over. The TV turns on , turns off after 2 minutes, lights blink, fans run.

Panasonic claims a bad lamp. Maybe they're right, but why would it light up if it was bad?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Felgnerlabs:

I didn't get an ETA on my lamp replacement, but I check on Panasonic's website and they're ETA on lamps was June 26th if ordered through them. I would hope service providers could get lamps a tad faster.

Felgnerlabs
Unregistered guest
I check with panasonic every other day now the new date that they should have the lamps in is July 10. I haven't payed off my TV yet so I called card serveces they said this isn't acceptable
and will put a freeze on the account if they will not work with me on either exchanging or compansation.
for time lost. I had just got Voom HD sat. installed 3 days befor that and the first month will get used on a non HD TV.

Username: Ratfink

USA model # pt-60lcx63. Canada model # is pt 60lc13
This is why your model # is not listed.
I saw the Panasonic pt-60lcx63 at Costco, and like the way it looks. It sells for $3200us. If you stop and think about it, Panasonic is being real shifty here. As everyone is waiting for their bulbs to show up, your warranty is ticking away. The longer it takes for them to fix problems, the less things that they have to warranty. This bad service, and lack of parts, are done on purpose, just to save Panasonic money on bad engineering. If I owned this TV, and had this problem, I would buy a new bulb, install it, keep bad part, and when they come to warranty the TV, switch it back to bad bulb, and save the new bulb for the next blowout. Just my opinion, Jeff

northern Tower
Unregistered guest
Have my PT-50LC13 since the 18th of Feb. last night lamp went. At least I think it's the lamp since the TV turned off, I have a red light flashing on the on/off button and the lamp button flashes every five. Gees it's maddening after spending all this money. Does anybody have one (TV) that the lamp has lasted over the year and second question isn't the lamp only covered for 90 days?

Post Number: 3
Northern Tower:

That sounds exactly like the same problem I have. Please keep us updated on the fix!

I'll also give updates (I don't have any on my set yet).

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 96
lamp should be covered under the manufact 1 yr
warranty.
Its been 3 months and counting. Holding my
breath.

Unregistered guest
Can anyone direct me to where I can order a aux. fan for my Panny PT-60LC13. Also, I know I'm "eventually" someday going to have to replace the lamp, can someone also direct me to where I can order one (tried the urls listed above and get nowhere by putting in PT-60LC13, also does anyone know if the lamps have a "shelf life"...
Come on guys, I know someone out there can help me...!!! Thanx.

Unregistered guest
Well it is June 28, and I still have no TV. Bulb blew and still waiting. NO contact ever from Panasonic. I filed "Defective Merchandise" dispute with Household Finance (provider of 24 months ssme-as-cash)and am waiting for response.

We need to form a "Users Group" and approach this problem with a united effort. Strength in numbers you know! Drop me an email and let's get started.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 97
hey gonz,

I have the same tv, i am assuming that the
50" takes the same lamp as the 60" but i havent
confirmed that yet. I'll wait til the lamp
blows. I've got a tower aux fan that isn't too
noisy, got it at the grocery store. Panasonic
tech support agreed that an aux fan was a good
idea. Are the lamps blowing prematurely because
the internal fan is not enough ?

Mick
Unregistered guest
-Bought a PT-60LCX63 (60")from Brandsmart USA (South Florida) with 5 years warranty. Spend almost $4000 for entire pacakage. TV was delivered on Sun afternoon Jun/27/04 and used it that evening. Picture was pretty good with digital cable service from Adelphia.
-Next day (Mon) I went to turn on the TV and it autoshut itself in about 10 seconds before the picture could be displayed. I get a blank screen and then TV autoshuts itself down.
-The On/Off switch on the TV flashes an orange light 5 times, it stops for 2 seconds and then repeats the 5 flashes again.
-Called PANA tech and he asked me to contact local service center they subcontrcat with.
-Also called the Brandsmart sales guy who is willing to replace the set entirely. But I have no TV for next 3 days until new set gets in.
-Thinking about returning the set for a full refund but my wife is sold on a large TV. Will have her read the comments on this site and hope that it will help her change her mind.
-Please provide feedback if someone has a similar problem regarding 5 orange flashes with their expy set.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 100
isnt that the lamp indicator

Username: Waynepaul

the lamp cover is ajar. firmly replace the cover.
as per manual.

I have the 50 inch and loved it, until the lamp went out on 06-21-04. I have had the set for 10 months. If your power goes out while your set is on, you can plan on getting a new lamp much sooner than 10,000 hours, unless you have a battery operated fan or blow really hard. This is a design flaw and I hope Panasonic fixes the problem soon. I was told by a rep from Panasonic that this is the best selling LCD in the states, so we are not alone. There are thousands of these sets and they are all going to prematurely fail. That is why the lamps are back ordered,"There have been higher than expected failures"
Mick, get your money back, while you still can. I wish I could.

Ps I won't get my TV up and running until after July 9th. "ETA on lamp" I wish it was only three days.

Post Number: 4
Well, its not really a design flaw. DLPs, LCOS, LCDs all have this issue... anything with a lamp has this problem. Do you want to spend extra money on a TV that has a build in UPS or do you want to take that money and buy the UPS you want?

BTW, I'm waiting on a lamp and ballast from Panasonic. No ETA on my fix.

Post Number: 3
I paid enough for this TV; UPS should not be my concern. But, unfortunately power loss is a concern. I don't feel power loss is causing these failures, but it will shorten the life of the lamp. Week fan or fan not running long enough after set is shut off or just a bad batch of lamps, would be my best guess.
Did you ask for ballast or did a tech diagnose it for you. My lamp was clearly shattered inside.
Good luck!

Post Number: 5
Actually, my lamp lights so it is probably the ballast. Panasonic is sending a lamp also. Maybe I'll get to keep it. I doubt it.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 101
if you have one of these tv's, i would
recommend an aux fan. Facing the tv I place
the fan on the right side pointing into the
vent. The fan that is inside is not adequate.
Has anyone looked inside the back when the TV
is on, I almost burned my retina, it looks like
alien technology.

Anonymous

well everyone my thime has passed on my ETA date of my lamp. Call the service contract back Pan. told them july 22 that will be 41 days with no big screen. Working on getting it replaced through a lot of complantes to them, they told me 45 days nonworking for a no lemon and then I get a new one. Will find out early this week on a anwser for early replace. Do I want another????
How long has it taken for someone to get a lamp?

Anonymous

My ETA on my lamp pass this week, service contract
call Panny the said July 22. That will be 41 days.
Service contract said 45 days with nonworking tv gets me a new one. Trying to get a new one sooner
will find out this week. But do I want a new one??
Let you know as soon as I find out anything.

Whats the longest anyones had to waid for a lamp?

Panny needs to work with us, Not say there is no
problem with these tv's!

Unregistered guest
Wow all the negative stuff, I was looking at the Model PT-60LCX63 at Costco, a
floor model for 3,199.00 to replace my 7 year old 60" Hitachi Ultravision, that still looks and runs perfect but is not High def. I don't know what to do with all this bulb stuff going on.
Maybe I should wait for the new Ultravisions to come out and just go old school.

Post Number: 6
Just a heads up that my TV got fixed today. It was the lamp. I also managed to get Panasonic to send out the lamp despite what the 'back-order' date listed (7-26-04). I asked about alternate distribution centers and the customer service guy took my number and called back within 10 minutes telling me that a brand new lamp had been located!.

Good luck!

Post Number: 7
Just a heads up that my TV got fixed today. It was the lamp. I also managed to get Panasonic to send out the lamp despite what the 'back-order' date listed (7-26-04). I asked about alternate distribution centers and the customer service guy took my number and called back within 10 minutes telling me that a brand new lamp had been located!.

Good luck!

Post Number: 8

Good luck!

Username: Unhappy

The dealer replaced my first pt50...the second one...the lamp went also...now im getting a crappy runaround....all within 6 months

Unregistered guest
Well just like everyone else I purchased a Panasonic PT-50LC13 and the Lamp just blew out in
10 months and it looks like i was the lucky one to get that much out of it. I hope that Panasonic doesn't give me the run around like everyone else when i call tomorrow. Maybe they need to turn the recording on when i go off on the poor little customer rep. I went to frys elec. today to see if they had replacement and found out the $300 price. I loved it when i seen a guy trying to get a Panasonic 60 in his truck and explained to him what i am going through. His mouth just dropped and hopefully he returned it after i left :-)

Unregistered guest
Well just like everyone else I purchased a Panasonic PT-50LC13 and the Lamp just blew out in
10 months and it looks like i was the lucky one to get that much out of it. I hope that Panasonic doesn't give me the run around like everyone else when i call tomorrow. Maybe they need to turn the recording on when i go off on the poor little customer rep. I went to frys elec. today to see if they had replacement and found out the $300 price. I loved it when i seen a guy trying to get a Panasonic 60 in his truck and explained to him what i am going through. His mouth just dropped and hopefully he returned it after i left :-)

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 107
does anyone have a computer hooked up to their
50" or 60". If so how is it ?

Unregistered guest
I have attached a laptop to an PT-50LC13 a few times. It looks pretty good. As of yesterday, I now join the crowd of people who have had their bulb die. Mine lasted 9 months. Glad I bought the 4 year extended warranty!!!

sbwell
Unregistered guest
I am yet another (in what appears to be a growing list of) unsatified customers that own the PT-50LC13. Purchased mine in late March and the lamp went out last week. No charge this time but what are we going to do down the road a couple of months? Pay $300 each time the $2800 TV blows the lamp or the ballast? The "Customer Care Plan" definitely does not cover the lamp. SIgn me up for the class action suit. How do you file for one??
The service man that replaced mine gave me these tips:
1. get a battery backup to keep the fan running if the power goes out.
2. make sure the power plug from the tv is plugged into a surge protector and not into the cable box.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 110
get an aux fan. i hope my lamp lasts more than
2 years. i'll keep everyone posted.
has anyone had a lamp burn out b4 the year warr.
that had an aux fan.

sbwell
Unregistered guest
you got your aux fan at the grocery store?? is it a regular fan?? i'm sorry but i am confused. but that's not unusual when it comes to electronics. :-(

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 111
any old fan will do. as long as it blows air.
set it up opposite the hot side. so you are helping to blow the hot air out.

Steve C.
Unregistered guest
Well, me too on the fan on PT50LC. Second one in nine months.First time, I waited nine weeks for a repalcement and the only reason I got one was Ken Craines, where I bought it, went into a new unit and took one out. The new bulb lasted two months and I blew another one today. This is totally unacceptable, I will NEVER buy another Panasonic piece of equipment again. I am lobbying for a credit and will replace the unit with Mits. or SONY. I will keep you guys posted on how this shakes out....

Post Number: 9
Going with Sony or Mits. won't guarantee a solution to your lamp problems. All manufacturers who use lamps have problems with them going out.

Username: Badkarma

I have the PT-50LC13 also. I love the TV, but got a couple of BRIGHT blue pixels that are stuck, bright enough that you can see it from 8-10 ft away. Tried to get it fixed but it wouldn't be approved by Panasonic.

I talked to 2 different Reps. The 1st told me that it was up to the service provider, if I had a problem with it, take it up with them, and that I had to choices if they already said no - Deal with it, or take the TV back.

Oh and check this out, I called their product info line and told him I was thinking about buying one of these tvs, but would something like this be covered under the warranty - and described the pixel exactly. He told me Yes, it would be fixed if that were to happen.

The 2nd rep I talked to pretty much said the same thing, but he said he could escalate the case to a field rep (I couldn't do it right now, didn't have the serial # with me). And check this out - When I asked him why I had been told it would be fixed by a Product Info guy (who thought I hadn't bought the TV yet) and now the story changes after I've bought it, he says ''We don't get paid by you, so what does it matter to us if you buy a TV or not". Nice!

Dallas Steve
Unregistered guest
In Dallas, the Panasonic PT-50LC14 is currently selling at Circuit City & Ultimate Electronics. Does anybody know if this new model is expected to have less problems than the PT-50LC13?

Thanks

Username: Vortec

Post Number: 4
Similar question, I'm wanting to know if the PT60LC14 is a year newer in technology or basically the same as the 13. Anyone heard or read anything about the 14's? thanks

Post Number: 10
It is the same TV with a couple differences: HDMI instead of DVI and a couple of extra speakers. That is the only thing I'm aware of.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 114
dallas, i have the pt60 and no problems.
whatever u get i think for the price and picture
quality microdisplays are the way to go.

Cody Matheson
Unregistered guest
We bought our PT-50LC13 on 12/19/03 from RC Willey. Today 9/2/04 the TV screen just went black and quit working!!!!. Power light blinks 5 times in 5 seconds and the Lamp indicator blinks 1 time every 5 seconds. I have pulled the back cover off but am unsure where the bulb is located, so I don't know if it is the bulb or ballast or what. Called Panasonic but it was after business hours , so I will have to call tomorrow. I paid $3200 for this TV with the stand and I'll be DAMNED if I am going to wait for 45 days for a fix. I'll sooner return it through the front windows of RC Willey. ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The lamp access panel is on the front of the tv. Pull off the grey plastic trim and you'll see to doors.

You have a bad lamp. Panasonic will replace it free of charge.

Unregistered guest
Lamp burns out in three months. Replacement covered by PAnasonic for 1yr. After that expect to spend $400 3 to 4 times ayear. My TV's LAmp blew in three months. Sony guy came over and popped one in ten seconds. Then the new lamp fused after 7 days. now the TV is in Shop since three weeks. DO nOT BUY. TOTALLY UNRELIABLE, $3000 PIECE OF JUNK.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well, then you better not buy DLP, LCD, LCOS, or any tv that uses lamps. Sony, LG, Samsung, Hitachi... they all have lamp problems and ballast problems.

You could always buy a front projector that lasts 2000 hours if you're lucky.

The fact is that you have to baby these lamps. You just can turn your TV on and off 8 times a day and expect to get 6000 hours out of them.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 115
turning your tv on and off frequently will increase the chance of your bulb blowing prematurely. Read your manual, it states this.
Also again the internal fan is not adequate,
get an aux fan. And if the bulb blows it aint the end of the world. If its still under warranty, go buy a lamp yourself and get your tv up and running, if the replacement takes a month, so what you will have an extra lamp and wont have to worry about down time. You bought a thoroughbred not a nag.

Alan H
Unregistered guest
I'd like to hear if anyone has tried to get a lamp replaced under the extended warranty from Circuit City. I know the Panasonic warranty covers the lamp for 1 year, but not sure if extended warranty will. It claims that it doesn't cover consumable items (listing for example printer cartridges, etc. - but not lamps). However, the manual for the PT50LC14 calls the lamp a "consumable" item. Sounds like a conflict. I bought the warranty because the sales mgr said it covered the lamps and that I was sure to have a lamp burnout sometime in 5 years and the warranty was just a little more than one bulb would cost. Anyway, I'm the skeptical type and I normally don't buy extended warranties, so I'm very tempted to get a refund rather than gamble that someday they don't cover the lamp. Anybody had one long enough to check this out?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Unless you have it in writing that the lamp is covered, then I would assume it is not. Best Buy now offers a special warranty that does cover the lamp (it costs more).

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 120
talking about best buy, i think i hate em.
I would rather pay more somewhere else than
give em my money.

southerngent
Unregistered guest
I bought my Panny 50" LC14 from Sears and had them put it in writing that the BULD WAS included and had the manager of the store sign it and date it. I called the Sears service center and they stated if the manager said it's covered... IT'S COVERED :-)

Asifia
Unregistered guest
Follow up post. They have this time changed the lamp as well as the lamp housing.
Yes, the tech mentioned not to turn TV back on immediately after turning it off. Give bulb a few minutes to cool down. But, I never turned it on and off like that anyway. Also this TV was not used much - 2 to 3 times a week, only when we were watching a new DVD or something. We use mostly our good old Sony Tube TV in our Bedrm.
SO the lamps are just unreliable. They are very easy to replace, but costly $300.

Username: Badkarma

Where do they do the repairs, do they take the TV or did they do it at your home?

cougar
Unregistered guest
I just bought my 60"LC13 in April and now it won't turn on. The lamp light is not blinking and it sounds like its trying to light but won't. Has anyone else had this problem?

ctolson
Unregistered guest
I have the PT-50lc13 - bought it in July - now the color is shot (lamp still works) - only servicer is 100 miles from home - having to jump through every hoop known to man to get this repaired. Panasonic customer support is worthless and rude - I wish I could return it... With all the posts on lamps has anyone pursued legal action or options...?

abasoul
Unregistered guest
Where is the ballast on this PT-50LC13?

catslick
Unregistered guest
I have been researching these sets for over a year and have owned a Phillips LCOS/RPTV and a Samsung DLP/RPTV set and both have had the same problem with bulb burnout. I used an auxillary fan and a UPS and had the same results. This is a bad technology and should be recalled. Anyone who buys any RPTV that uses this type of technology will have this problem. So buyer beware.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 127
I have had my set for 6 months. So far about
1100 hrs on the bulb. I consider myself lucky
that it has lasted this long. My aux. fan blows
right into the tv, figure I will have to change
the dust screen soon. I also leave the fan on
for 5 to 10 minutes after shutdown. You have
heard of the light bulb that hasn't burned out
in 50+ years, thats because its never been turned
off. I guess its the turning on and off that
degrades the bulb. I try to keep it to a minimum,
if I'm not gonna watch tv for a half hour I just
leave the tv on.

Unregistered guest
I'm the proud owner of a pana 50lc13. I bought this unit on may 28,2004 was gone for 3 weeks vacation, and 1 week no power (hurricanes). Proud to say I've joined the elite group of great looking inoperable tv's. I remember when she used to work, there would be a click like a solenoid or something just before the TV would come on. Now...none and the Red "Lamp"indicator flashes once every 5 seconds. I removed the lamp assy and it doesn't appear to be bad, no cracks in glass. Does anyone know how to test it momentarily outside the unit . I think it's a mercury vapor lamp so it appears as an Open ckt to a DVM until it lights. It's a 100W HID lamp but AC or DC and at what Voltage level 110VAC or?? Is the Lamp assy repairable with another lamp only? I purchased a 4yr service contract with Best Buy and to date have no results from them from a request made 10-1-2004 except for them to tell me they have no lamp assys and have to order one. TBD.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 136
best buy extended warranties are a joke. BB is
a joke.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
You should go through Panasonic to get the lamp.

cougar
Unregistered guest
IL've been without my 60" LCD tv since September I bought it in April. I was told that the ballast went out and that its on back order until December. I've tried talking to Panasonic and they have been no help. I'm going to write to the Better Buisness Beuru about them. If your tired of dealing with them also you should also complain. The more complaints to the BBB the better. Mabey they can do something

Unregistered guest
We are on our second go-round with the 50LC13. The first problem was with the power supply board (the code was yellow led flashing five times). It took about a month to get fixed. The lamp just went and we are not encouraged by the descriptions of Panasonic's/RC Willey's customer service. Considering the nature and number of complaints, Panasonic's apparent failure to correct the problem, it is probably time to seek redress in another forum.

Any luck getting lamps faster?

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 139
if my lamp goes out before the warranty, I'm
going to buy my own lamp to get the tv running
and then when the replacement lamp comes in it
will be an extra.

Unregistered guest
My bulb burned out after 5 months, I like the suggestion not to turn it on and off, battery back up sound smart too. Panny seemed real goor to me, I called - the had me take the old bulb out (real easy) it was smashed - they took my credit card number (in case I did not return bad bulb) and told me you will get the new one in two days. Hopefully I will... Any luck on Curcuit City bulb replacement, I'm thinking about calling complaining and request a new chance at buying the plan

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 145
i have the same set. other than the bulb
burning isnt it a great tv.

rickaries
Unregistered guest
Well, thanks all of you for posting, now I am one more unhappy PANASONIC customer, seems my lamps/bulb burn out. I just got the TV 4 months ago and now is uselles. I would like to had seen this website before, that way I would have save $3500. Now after reading all of this I am gettin reday for several calls to customer service (retailer and PANASONIC) to get something going on!! God Bless Amwerica!!! Wish me luck!!!

rickaries
Unregistered guest
Does anyone keeps thinking about a lawsuit!!Count me in!!!I have a junk worth $3000 sitting in my livng room!! NO lamps!No service!!! Grrr!! I hate PANASONIC!!!

M3TR01D
Unregistered guest
4/25/04-11/13/04 RIP
add me to the list
BBB should read this thread
i wonder how many ppl have this problem who dont use forums?
wonder if Pana is still out of stock
also how do i get this bulb out once i remove the front cover and the 1st wall with 2 screws?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us