Stain-like Spot on my Hitachi 50v500a's LCD screen (any ideas?)

Elvite
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a Hitachi 50v500a LCD TV. I really love this set. It is the replacement set I chose when I had to return a Samsung HLN 5065W DLP, because I was experiencing major rainbow effect. (Bummer too because the DLP's are otherwise great).

Anyway, there is only one slight problem I have. About 6" from the bottom center of the screen, there is a 1/4" circular spot on the screen. When I first noticed it, I thought it was a stain on the outside. However, I quickly saw it was the pixels themselves that had the problem. They are not dead pixels (because they aren't black). They still work, but anything in that 1/4" circular area is slightly darkened from the rest of the screen. The result looks resembles a stain.

Anyone know what the problem is? I thought that maybe it was a speck of dust caught on a lens that is darkening that area, but the guy I talked to at Hitachi didn't think so. The most curious thing about this is that the several pixels it is affecting form a near perfect 1/4" circle.

Is this something that can easily be repaired or will the whole screen need to be replaced?

Also, on a side note. How many dead pixels are acceptable on a LCD screen? I think I've only found a couple. Should I expect nothing but all perfect pixels or is a couple dead pixels well within the norm?

Username: Avman

Post Number: 3
Never Heard of this Before, Ive Put atleast 5 Diffrent ones on my sells floor and this is a first. I would exchange the TV. and You should not have any pixels gone bad, you should expect nothing but all perfect pixels

Harp
Unregistered guest
Dude, I bought the same TV on Saturday and have the exact same problem! I also thought it was a stain, but it doesn't appear when the TV is off. It is only visible when there is a black background on the TV...as in night sky, etc. Otherwise, it is not visible. It's rather annoying because I know it's there. Did you find out what it was?

Unregistered guest
I have the same thing I thought It may have been a bug on the bulb or under the screen itself because I watched it move from the top center to the bottom left. It is totally black though. Can you help me out? Did you find out what it was?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 134
I can't give specific recommendations here, because I don't have a clue about what causes this phenomenon. There have been numerous complaints about spots, splotches, crop circles, etc. on this TV. And these complaints are not limited to Hitachi, as there have been similar problems with other LCD-RPs from Sony and Panasonic. And apparantly this problem exists with LCD-RPs and not with DLP or CRT based systems. Most curiously I know of no similar problem with direct-view LCD displays.

My 50V500(A) is now seven months old and is working perfectly. But in the first few weeks of operation, I was shocked and dismayed to notice a vertical line of spots roughly where the left edge of a 4:3 image is. They were most noticeable on all white and light scene moments. Most perplexing, they would be there one day and not the next.

I have not noticed any spots on my screen for many weeks now, but I do have some feeling of anxiety every time I turn it on. My guess (and it is strictly that) is that there may be a "break-in" period, as all the spot complaints seem to be on brand-new models.

Unregistered guest
I also have the "crop circle" on my set. It's two months old and I just noticed it this weekend. I have the warranty and called it in for service. When I called Hitachi, they said it shouldn't be considered as normal and that I should have it serviced. I was wondering if perhaps there is a degauss or something like that in the service menu that we are not supposed to access. I'm not sure with LCD's, but most CRT monitors have a degauss feature. Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed, know how to fix it easily, or have any more info on it?

Dave C

Username: 55pl977_usr

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I have seen yet another TV with the exact same problem. It is a Philips LCoS 55PL9773 (Cineos.) Only in the context of this problem I unfortunately own one, because appart from that, I love this set. I got one three weeks ago and it was a disaster. There were no less than seven circles as those described but with a diameter of about ~4" each but some were larger than others. Right in the center of the screen, there was large blotch like what one would get by passing one's greasy hand on a mirror. Needless to say, I returned the set. Got a Brand New from The Good Guys; this one has two circles close to each other at the right side of the screen. Went to Fry's Electronics and checked the one in display... FOUR circles; went back to The Good Guys and checked the display there, only one and very faint circle.
Note that the circles/blotches cannot be seen unless the display is full gray, as the case is whenever I change channels or if the picture shown has a lot of gray.
I've been told to contact Philips Support, another pain!

Username: Coold373

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 2
Hector:

I have a tech coming to look at my set on Friday. He told me he has seen this issue a good bit with LCD TV's, not just Hitachi's, but others as well. He said that it can be caused by dirt or dust on the lamp, or in the microscopic mirrors on the lcd panel. He will attempt to clean these components when he comes, and if it does not resolve the problem, he will order a new light engine for the set and replace that. The crop circle on my set is very faint and not even noticable most of the time, unless you have a dark black background. Being I forked out a good bit of cash for this set, I'm a perfectionist with it and I want it repaired. LCos if a very new technology from what I heard, even newer than LCD, which has been out about a year. You might want to consider returning your set and going with an LCD or even a DLP. I have been told the DLP's have been out the longest of the three technologies, and that Samsung is very good about getting replacement parts out very quickly when something goes wrong, but again, this is just heresay, as you will probably hear different stories about that from different people. I love the Hitachi set that I have. I have the 4 year warranty on it, so I figure, that whenever the bulb goes, or I have any issue, I can call and get it serviced. Whether you go DLP, LCD, or with the new LCoS, being the technology is so new, I think we are all going to have to deal with these "bugs" or issues. Whatever you get, get the extended warranty.

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 3
David, thank you for taking the time to answer my post and for the advise. I've never before paid for Extended warranties but figured that this, being a new technology and the product not exactly cheap, it was wise to pay the extra $500.00 for 5 years. As it turned out, it was not a bad decision. I, like you, am also adamant about the fact that this TV ought to be darn near perfect for the price that it commands. I believe that the problem might very well be dust in the optical components. However, these RPTVs, being brand new, should have been free of contaminants there. Else, it speaks poorly of the clean room conditions necessary for assembly of those components, or of the Quality Control and Inspection after assembly. Of Philips, I am surprised for that company is also a producer of ICs for general logic and specialized applications... One would think that they know better. I guess those are entirely different divisions.
Regarding your last comment, I do agree but with a caveat, I believe it is incumbent to the manufacturer to ensure quality and, should there be a problem, take immediate action and correct it; we the consumers, shouldn't have to go through hoops trying to get service.

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 7
Hector:

I would agree with you there. The tech I spoke to on the phone (that will be visiting me Friday) much to my dismay, told me that these companies, with the exception of Samsung, are pumping this new technology out so fast, with lack fo adequate testing, that they can't keep up with part replacements (which worries me some). I guess the Samsung DLP's have been out for about 4 years now and the parts on those are readily available. The Hitachi sets could take longer to get replacement parts according to him, if we have anything else go wrong. I'll post what the final solution is to fixing that crop circle when he comes Friday.

Username: Jckftrds

Mi Us

crop circles _yes
i have had one. Form what I understand it is a common problem w/hitachis and some other LCD RP's

Replace the light engine
it should fix the problem
it should be under warranty or extended warranty
I too am a prefectionist for good picture quality and had to live w/stuck pixels for more than 6 months. when I replaced the light engine stuck pixels were gone too. All in the same part

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 11
I wonder if the newer light engines for these sets are more reliable than the old. This set is two months old. The circle isn't bad; it's very faint, so I can continue to use the set until the part comes in. I'm sure when the tech comes on Friday, that he will come to the same determination (I was told on the phone that if dust or dirt wasn't causing it, the light engine would need replaced).

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 15
Service tech came today, was very helpful and seem to have a good working knowledge on the TV's. He gave me a choice on having the set replaced or exchanged with a new one from Circuit City, or to have the light engine replaced. I elected to have them order the new light engine and repair my existing set. I'm wondering if there is a batch of these sets that had the faulty light engines. They did tell me that in all the sets they've replaced the light engines in, they have not had a repeat of this "crop circle" issue. I'm looking at 7-10 days according to them. I'll live until then.

Username: Maverick23

Hector,
I bought a Philips 55PL9773 LCOS from Good Guys in Dublin and the 5 year extended warranty as well. I have the same crop circles on my TV.
Was the service technician able to help you at all? What did he say the problem was? Did you call Philips? Do you think I should get mine replaced (I am still within the 30 day period) or just fixed?
Thanks.

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 5
Ranjit, for what I've able to gather, this is a common occurrence on RP TVs. It has to do, mostly, with impurities in the Light Engine (lenses and associated electronics that project the image.) That said, I will add that this is rather annoying and point out to a lack of clean room control on the part of the manufacturers. In my particular case, one of the blotches disappeared for about two days and later reappeared in a different location. This clearly indicates a particulate (dust) flying around the innards of the TV.
I really do like the TV, though, so I am going to have either Philips (good luck here, but look below) or the Good Guys have it serviced, for I also got the 5 year extended warranty.
Regarding Philips, here is a copy of mail interchanged with its Support (?)
=======================================
Philips Support Representative,

I am STILL waiting for your replay to my issue. Please note well that your company's support is being termed as a "disaster" in chat groups.

Your response in my case substantiate the allegations that I've read. Specifically, there is one that notes that there is a dedicated toll free number for Cineos TV. If you call, it will ALWAYS respond something like what follows:
"All support representatives are busy attending other customers. Please leave your name and a telephone number and we will get back to you." I did and never again heard from you.

Here is one of the posts:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/4777.html
-------------------------------------
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:21 pm:
I just got a Philips 55PL9773 that was DOA a couple of weeks ago. Long story short, Philips does not back its product warranty. They will not return calls and I never talk to a live person. The chat person just funnels me back into their customer service voice mail machine that never leads to any action on their part. I would suggest that you do not buy this set or if you do, make sure that the shipping company does not leave until you are sure the TV is working. On the other hand, if it does develop a problem, you are going to be SOL on the warranty. They will not talk with you so you can get authorization to fix your set. So - bottom line, avoid this set, do not buy it, Philips is not supporting it.
---------------------------------
And another:

---------------------------------
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:09 pm:
God help anyone that ever has to get warranty service from Philips on their Cineos TV. Everyone will funnel you to a bogus phone number that always provides a message to leave your name and number because everyone is busy, and someone will call you back. They never call you back! I have called hundreds of times, always get the recording. Nobody calls me back. I have left 3 messages over the last week with no contact. Also, the service rep won't touch the TV without factory authorization. I have been to their chat service line, they always tell me to call the dead end "customer service" number.
-----------------------------------

I sure hope that this gets someone's attention at Philip

Hector E. Munoz.

Philips Consumer Care wrote:

> PHILIPS
>
>
> Dear Sir / Madam,
>
> We have received your e-mail and will answer your question within two business days.
> With kindest regards,
> Philips Customer Care Centres
>
> _________________________________________
>
> General information
>
> At www.philips.com you will find a rich set of information on Philips and Philips products.
> Internet communications are not secure and therefore Philips cannot accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

Sorry for the long post.

ukusa
Unregistered guest
Philips are notorious for "NO Customer Service." We had a problem with one of their TIVO receivers, and it took a year to resolve. I ended up getting my attorney to contact their CEO in NY to resolve the problem. My attorney's letter finally reached someone in power, and I had my new TIVO within 24 hours.... Actually, two days before Christmas, so the kids could finally watch TV on the big screen again. PHILIPS are sickening greedy people, and I would never buy another product from them even if they were FREE!!!!

Unregistered guest
More to the Philips Cineos Problems. I just had my thrid TV deliverd from Best Buy. All have the same issue. Circles of different sizes all over the screen when it goes to a black image. Have been told by the Best Buy delviery guys this is a 'known problem' with these sets and they have seen lots of returns. Problem has evidently been solved in new model. Best Buy sais they would swap for new model if I paid them an extra $1,000. Needless to say told them that was not an option. They are to get back to me on Monday with a 'new solution'

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 6
To all 55PL977 owners with problems:

I got my Cineos 55PL9773 replaced yesterday. The new TV is nice and does not have the well known issue(s) with the "blotches"; however, they sent a BLACK TV and the old one was SILVER... I let that pass. The Good Guys wanted me to pay $500.00 more but I flatly refused since the TV was not only under warranty but also I've bought the extended warranty for $500.00. I gave them a choice of either replacing the TV or fix it, period. They chose to replace it.
Of course, the saga continues. The new TV came without the swivel stand. What follows are the contents of e-mail exchanged between me and Philips "Customer Care":

Dear Philips Customer Service Representative,

Please take due note that Philips' reputation as a consumer products supplier is suffering greatly. I've got many an issue with both the service, the support thus provided and the quality of my Cineos LCoS TV... and I am not alone.

I would suggest that you take a look at the contents of the following URL:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/13596.html

Take a close look at the thread regarding the Cineos LCoS. I believe that your company ought to place minute attention to these problems.

xxxx

Philips Consumer Care wrote:

Dear xxxx xxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Plasma Unit.

Unfortunately we do not provide support for your unit via this medium, what we suggest that you do, is to contact our (Plasma) support at 1-800-464-1264. There our customer service professionals will be more than happy to help you.

Please ensure that you have your model number, serial number and your date of purchase (if necessary) for fast and efficient service.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us via e-mail or chat. Go to PhilipsUsa.com and click on the "Contact US" Link and choose the medium you wish to use.

Sincerely,

Katherine Vincent
Philips USA Customer Support

[Date:August 31, 2004, 7:40 pm (GMT-05:00)]

Comment/Question:
Dear Support representative. I'd bought a Cineos 55" Lcos TV about 2 and 1/2 month ago. This TV exhibited large "blotches" on the screen. After some time, Philips did authorize the correction of the problem and, through the Good Guys Electronics
Store, the TV was replaced yesterday with a new one. Now, this new TV was delivered WITHOUT
the swivel stand. The technician that delivered said that Philips was removing the stand because the fact that the TV had to be placed on its screen to installed was causing some of the problems observed. I called the store and they said that the stand is a separate unit on the new TV, whereas it came with the old one. The User manual on the new as well as the old TV states that this is an Option. I need to know if The Good Guys ought to replace the stand as well; else, I believe that I am entitled to a refund.
xxxx xxxxx,
Copy on File.]

Additional parameter(s):

[enquiryType:after-sales inquiry]
This message is routed to you by these parameters:
[f:0]-[c:US]-[l:en]-[p1:TV_GR]-[p2:LCOS_TV_CA]-
[p3:LCOS_TV_SU]-[p4:all]

Stick to your guns!!

Sorry for the long post.

Hector

Username: Pixel

Post Number: 8
Hi guys,

When you mention 'light engine' is it the bulb itself or some other part? I'm also having a spot on the bottom middle of the screen on my brand new Sony KF50WE620 (Canadian model) and waiting for the tech to show up.. That spot is apparent on light-colored and white backgrounds.

I also have another issue to be addressed that is more serious. The left-hand side of the image is curved (convergence?) and the bottom is just not in a straight line. It tilts towards the left. Hopefully this is something easy to fix..

cpuguru
Unregistered guest
Sounds like you guys are sitting too close to the TV while watching P.O.R.N movies!!!

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 8
Eric, The "Light Engine", as my guess is for I've not read much on these new technologies, is comprised of an specialized IC (LCoS: Liquid Crystal on Silicon on the Philips, DLP: Digital Light Proccessor on the Samsung) and associated components, such as the high intensity bulb, that actually project the images to the screen. Because of these blotches that actually change places over time, I would believe that there is some kind of lenses onto which dust particles can accumulate, thus the blotches. What I know is that the new Light Engines come in sealed units... protecting them from dust? Actually, only new projection type TVs will have this problem. If your Sony is not RP TV, don't worry about this. If it is RP, then ensure that the Light Engine is sealed, otherwise you might have the problem.

Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi 50V500 that is 9 months old. There is a noticeable red spot that is getting bigger but can only be seen when the screen is displaying black (night scenes) or low light scenes. This is very irritating and is getting worse. Any ideas what may be wrong? I am very dissappointed as this was not a cheap set to buy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us