Archive through March 09, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Uofmrapper

Post Number: 15
Ok I'll get the MS Xbox cables...what about the DVI to HDMI cables? I see a bunch on ebay from $1 to $30 and then I look at radioshack.com and they are like $100!!! what gives? are the ebay ones really crappy quality or are the ones at radioshack just ridicuously overpriced?

i also just spoke to pac-2000.com online chat and they said they don't have any 575s in stock right now but more are coming.

you: Hello...I was wondering if you have the JVC HD-52Z575 TV in stock currently?
Pac-2000.com: no it is sold out. But we have more coming.
you: Oh ok...do you know when they are expected to be in stock?
Pac-2000.com: next week.
you: Oh ok. Well I will check back with you next week then. Are they backordered right now? if so, how many are waiting? Do you think, if I ordered one next week, it would be shipped next week?
Pac-2000.com: yes.
Pac-2000.com: we will have plenty.
you: good deal. Well I will check back next week then. Thanks!
Pac-2000.com: Thank you for chatting. Good-bye.

Its between them and BuyDig.com...a price difference of $60 (BuyDig.com being the more expensive of the two)

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Ca Usa

Post Number: 42
Hey jeremy, "I see a bunch on ebay from $1 to $30 and then I look at radioshack.com and they are like $100!!! what gives?"

radio shack has gone over to monster cables - much higer profit. Like I said they are overpriced snake oil.
What matters in cables is conductor size, connector quality and cable jacket. I buy my cables in a store so I can inspect them.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 540
Jeremy-

I borrowed my friends $130 Monster DVI to HDMI cable that he got suckered into buying. I did not notice any difference in video quality when compared to my $20 Ebay cheapo. The Monster cable did have a fancy logo on it. Not sure if that is worth the $100+ difference in price.

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 43
For those interested, costco.com just dropped the price of the 52" to $2499.00. They credited me $180. Not bad. While you can find a lower price, costco has the best warranty/return policy included with membership.

Mr Sparks

Phrogman
Unregistered guest
Hi all....took the plunge and purchased the 52" JVC at Amazon.com for $2247 shipped. It should be here in about a week. I have a question for those that have the set:

I will be getting a HDMI equiped DVD player. I haven't received the HD cable box from Cox yet (san diego). If I hook the DVD player up to the TV with the HDMI cable, what connection should I use for the cable box???

Thanks in advance for your help

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 44
Phrogman - I also have Cox. Use component cables. Cox gave me a set of decent cables with my HD box. I also had Cox amplify my signal - it made a big difference in analog and digital stations.

Mr Lynch- "The Monster cable did have a fancy logo on it. Not sure if that is worth the $100+ difference in price. "
Don't get me started, LOL. monster must think the logo is worth the $100+ profit. They must be laughing all the way to the bank. Does monster believe if you can take advantage of someone, you must?

Mr Sparks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Do you guys have high quality component cables or could I get a cheaper set (around $30) of those off ebay or somewhere else too?

I also asked earlier and don't think anyone responded (and if they did, I just don't see it), what does Comcast have to do to "install my HD service" ? I thought they would just have to plug in the box to the TV and call it good. What is so hard to do that I have to pay $16.50 for them to install??

Bronze Member
Username: Soitgos

Post Number: 14
Mr. Lynch
Can you answer this question?
When using the HDMI cable from the receiver to the 585 is there going to be sound or not from the tv speakers? JVC says there will but I have none. The tech rep had to send this question up the chain to get an answer but have not heard back from them.
Thanks
Jim

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 542
jIM-

Some of the early JVC models (including my August build) had an issue with the HDMI not getting sound. I've heard there was a firmware fix, and I've also heard that the HMDI board needs to be replaced. I use a reciever, so I haven't made it a priority to get it fixed.

Does your Direct TV box have HDMI output? If you are using a DVI to HDMI cable you will get no sound. DVI outputs are video only.
If it is an HDMI output, here are a few things you should check:
On the D-TV box, set the audio output to PCM.
On the JVC, go into the user menu and set the "digital-in audio" input to "digital".

Also check and make sure the "mute" is not on, the speakers aren't turned off, and the volume is up. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but there have been a few times I got no sound and after checking my connections I realized that I had hit the "mute" button on my reciever. D'Oh!

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 173
Mr Lynch, do you think I'd be better served getting an HDMI cable for my cable box instead of running component? The box upconverts, not sure how much improvement I'd get (is it worth the $20?). DVD upconverts over component, so I will stick with that the way it is for now.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 543
Rick-

I tried my cable box (HD STB) using my DVI-HDMI cable. I did not notice any difference. I thought the HDMI helped out my DVD player more than the cable box.

I know many people that use up the 2 component inputs with a game system and a DVD player, and that leaves no input left for the HD STB. Since most HD STBs have DVI out, it is a good option people don't usually think about. Much better than cable swapping.

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 33
I purchased my DVI-HDMI cable from RAM electronics for $30 (http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html). I also got a great component cable from them as well (These are the thickest cables I have ever seen, for whatever thickness is worth).

Incidently, to work better with the compulink feature of my JVC receiver, I switched back to component input from my Comcast DVR and didn't notice any drop in video quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Nuclearfish

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 12
Guys,

I dropped by HHGregg on the way home from work (local chain that carries the 585s) to visit my set (which should arrive next week), and they had Star Wars ep. 6 playing on the set. I thought to myself, I hope it's available on Comcast next week when I'm all set up, 'cause this looks AMAZING... then I looked down and discovered it was a DVD!

I was totally convinced I was watching a HI-DEF feed.

Is this the kind of quality I have to look forward to?

I nearly it-shayed my pants it looked so good!

Scott

Username: Atd1

Post Number: 7
Mr. Sparks

Thanks for the tip that Costco dropped the price. I know Best Buy says they'll match anyones price + 10% of the difference. I noticed you mentioned that Costco is the best place to buy because of the warranty/return policy included with membership. I read on their site you can return for any reason if you are dissatisfied, but couldn't find anything about warranty. Can you tell me a little more about the warranty part you were referring to. I have a couple of these Costco's local to me.

Thanks.

Post Number: 8
The fine print from Costco's JVC ad description...read carefully.

This item is covered by Costco's guarantee to refund your purchase price if you are not completely satisfied. Costco's guarantee applies, even though this item may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because Costco is not an "authorized" dealer of the merchandise.

Probably don't want to but from an unauthorized dealer.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 13
Hey Sailbyte,

you've got an all-jvc set-up.. how do dvds look on your HD-ILA?

Also, what can I expect from the Compulink?

After my store visit, it's going to seem like a long 7 days to wait for my TV.

Scott

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

I'm feeling talkative tonight, I guess...

What DVDs, in the opinion of the friendly people in this group, look the best on these TVs?

I've ordered Spiderman2 in superbit, the Star Wars Trilogy, and have The Incredibles on pre-order.

I own the Alien Quadrilogy, and can't wait to see it again for the 1st time!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Scott:

I have the JVC XV-N412S DVD Player. It is component output only. I am very happy with the quality, but quite frankly I find myself most watching COMCAST digital and HDTV -- I have the dual turner DVR. Probably will watch more DVDs in the summer.

Compulink, with the DVD, has been disappointing. The plus side is the TV turns on with the receiver and off with the receiver (DVD player too). The down side is that TV switches to Video input 1 for both TV and DVD (my receiver is a few years old and may assume they are both composite video through the receiver).

At first, I had the DVR connected to the JVC with the DVI->HDMI cable. This meant that everytime I turned everything on, Compulink would switch to V1 -- so I would manually have to switch to digital in. On the plus side, if you put a DVD in the player -- the receiver and TV would both power-up and switch to V1 for the component DVD. The receiver would also automatically switch to DVD audio in. However, like I said, I watch more TV than DVDs, so I switched to component from the DVR -> TV, so that TV power-up is now at the correct input (V1). Of course, when I watch a DVD, I now have to switch to V2.

A new JVC Amp may yield different results, but I don't think the wife is going to let me go that route to avoid a single remote button push (sigh).

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 544
Scott-

Even with non-progressive scan DVD players (like an Xbox) movies look very impressive on the JVC. All the movies you listed are great choices, and I'd also recommend "The 5th Element" superbit. It looks incredible. The pod race from episode 1 is also a great showoff piece.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 15
5th Element it is, then. Just hate that DJ guy... and he'll be HUGE on my TV... but so will MIlla : )

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner (hectic week); however, I wanted to thank you for posting your settings and the DVD info.
thanks,
Mitch

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 45
J Papa - Yes, I'm aware of the fine print, but I'm not concerned. I've been shopping costco for many years. Costco has been the easiest company I've ever had to deal with. They just gave me a $180 credit because the JVC price dropped. They will accept a return on anything, other than computers, for the life of your membership. All you have to do is keep your receipt. If my set breaks in June of 2007, I can return it for a full refund, including shipping. I consider that the best warranty for immature electronic products, including all these new fangled TV's.

I forget where I got this info, but, even though costco is not an authorized JVC dealer, the JVC warranty is good. You can double-check that directly with JVC, before you buy. Top that with the most generous return policy anywhere.

On the other hand, you can buy the set cheaper, if you don't include the price of extended warranty.

If a saleman says you need an extended warranty, is'nt he suggesting that there is something wrong in the lasting quality of an item.

I like the peace of mind, knowing I can unload this thing if it breaks. I personally, don't want to deal with manufacturer's, technicians or online companies that will never talk to you after the sale.

just my opionion

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
partsexpress.com has HDMI and DVI cables at good prices too.

Bronze Member
Username: Thedvdguy

Post Number: 26
Any Power Strip tips?

I am trying to connect a HTPC via Transcoder/Component Cables for playing DVDs, music and video files and I am have some difficulty setting the timings properly.

Has anyone else already done this, and if so do you happen to remember your Power Strip timing settings. I have found some guides on the web, but so far they haven't been a great deal of help.

Thanks

-Brett

Username: Rowdyusp40

Post Number: 10
Mr. Sparks, So their return policy (Costco's) is your extended warranty you didn't have to pay for?
I have my eye on the new HD-52G886/786, if I can control myself that long. Hopefully Costco will stock those and give me another option for my purchase.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Brett,

Have you checked out this link?

http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=powerstrip_guide_1

I don't know anything about PowerStrip but saw this article while browsing. Good luck, I hope it helps.

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 46
Rowdy - "So their return policy (Costco's) is your extended warranty you didn't have to pay for?" Yep

Rowdy - "I have my eye on the new HD-52G886/786, if I can control myself that long. Hopefully Costco will stock those and give me another option for my purchase."
You never know what they will stock. I just got lucky that they stocked the 52". Keep an eye on costco.com, under Electronics/TV/DLP.
http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&cat=4848&hierPath=79*&Browse=

Will the HD-52G886/786 have a better picture, or is it just the addition of a tuner that's added?

If it's just a tuner, do you want to wait to spend more money for that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Ok so the other thing I need is a new DVD player because mine is 6 years old and does not have progressive scan. Here are the features I would like to have in a DVD player (in order of importance):

-progressive scan
-ability to play DVD+R/RW
-ability to play DVD-R/RW
-multiple disc changer.

I would really like to find a quality reliable one for as close to $100 as possible. With the changer option, that might not be possible but I thought I would throw it out there.

Any suggestions?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 547
Jeremy-

a magazine called "The Perfect Vision" just did a huge review on DVD players from $30, all the way up to $20,000. They have recomendations for every price range. If you can't find the magazine locally, you can download from their website. www.theperfectvision.com

I do remember that for under $100, they really liked the Toshiba SD-3960 ($60). The Toshiba SD-5915 is the 5 disc version of the 3960 and can be found for well under $100.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
No, Definitely not just the tuner, I could use the tuner in the Dish STB... which I don't have yet, but will be getting soon. I just finished some remodeling and rec'd new furniture on Tues. and will be receiving my new a/v furniture tomorrow (TV stand, speaker stands & shelf for center channel).

Then I can set up my new receiver & speakers that have been in boxes for a while. Will also be ordering new cables (don't want to get anyone started):-) Cobalt to go with some Audio Quest I already have. BTW, I hate Monster crap! So, to say the least I have a lot of new stuff to play with. :-) I figured a few more months and I can see what all the mfgs. put in the stores.

Better Picture??? Well only time will tell, but from what I've read here and other forums there will be some new electronics. We'll see about PQ...

I have been looking at all the technologies for almost a year, spending many hours reading and viewing in stores under different settings. I was just about ready to go with the Mits. 52725... When after nearly 15 hours of viewing DLP's there they were!! Rainbows! What the hell!!??!!
So, it's JVC for me. I think? :-)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 551
If any of you have the chance, check out this link.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/125568.html

I'm sure my responses my make you laugh!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
WWEEE! My side still hurts!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 552
That guy is crazy! I get ALOT more use out of my TV than I do my car. I've also invested a ton more money maintaining my car than my TV.

Bronze Member

Well maybe he is just upset... because he has no money left after FOX raped him over the price for MadTv!! That show blows anyway! HaHa :-)

Username: Geegee

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 10
Mr Lynch(probably) I recently returned a 50" and a 61"Samsung rear proj.tv's as being unreliable & too expensive maintenancewise for my budget(3 lamps in 10 months).Most threads are full of criticism of most makes for the same reason.I love the big pictures on these units,& keen to return to one if & when the light scource problem is resolved.Your JVC bloggers seem more concerned with cables & game results than faulty lamps.Please, does this mean that JVC RPTV has not been around long enough,or have they solved the worrying & expensive 8.3months(average lamplife)difficulties of other manufacturers. (I note that you yourself have already had an early lamp failure)Please advise on this. George gw.golding@optusnet.com.au

Post Number: 9
Mr. Sparks

So basically you're saying you can return the set anytime for any reason pretty much for life. If thats true then count me in. So if you need a repair do you just return the set or how does that work if you have no warranty after the manufacturers warranty expires.

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 47
J Papa - If my set breaks I will probably just drive to costco and return it, then grab another set, until they can deliver another JVC, or whatever is the best at the moment. Fortunate these things are not heavy and I have a truck.

I really like this JVC, so maybe for a quick minor repair, I'd call JVC for in-home warranty service. If you'd want to use the JVC warranty I'd suggest you double-check me and call JVC yourself or email them about honoring the warranty from a non-authorized dealer. I remember that they will honor it, but my memory is far from perfect.

I looked at the JVC warranty and it does not say anything about not honoring the warranty if bought from an unauthorized dealer. What is an unauthorized dealer anyway? A company that can not repair it? The warranty also mentions that for warranty service you are to return it to a JVD authorzed service center, unless it qualifies for in-home service.

On the other hand many on this forum have had techs come to their home to do a repair, which may be easier than a return, depending on how long the repair takes.

Once the manufactureres warranty expires, you can still return the unit if it breaks.

I had a digital camera go bad after 2 years. The costco by my house has very friendly return people. It took all of a few minutes to complete the return.

Bottom line is I have never dealt with a manufacturer with anything I've bought from costco. If something breaks I have the receipt and box and just bring it back.

Should'nt a $3000 item last more than a few years? If it breaks why not return it?

This is not for everyone, it's just how I like to deal with faulty electronics.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I believe that JVC's warranty refers to anything over 32" qualifying for in-home repair. 32" and under you have to take it in.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i'm having trouble w/ the analog TV thing...

Last night we were watching Survivor (unfortunately not in HD, although the Comcast guy should be at my place any time now to install it - but even then, Comcast is not carrying our local CBS affiliate in HD so it wouldn't matter anyway *sigh* so many HD channels and we have so few) and it looked really really bad. Other channels looked OK, so I don't know if its just that channel that I keep having problems with or what but I fooled around w/ all the color settings and couldn't get anything to look good. It was like, when someone moved, there was a shadow left behind and the skin tones looked like someone had some crazy visual effects going on. Am I just screwed and have to watch this until we get it in HD or is there a special setting I should mess with to fix it?

I tried Mr. Lynch's settings but it didn't help much. Any advice?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 555
Jeremy-

Comcast just recently worked out a deal with Cox to provide CBS. Are you sure it isn't avaiable in your area? I got CBS 3 weeks ago but Comcast still does not list it. They also don't list Discovery HD, but we get that too.

Some shows just look bad on Digital TVs in SD. Not much you can do to fix a poor broadcast.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Exactly, Mr. Lynch. I have found that most programs like Survivor have been shot using very low resolution cameras. Therefore, the broadcasts leave a lot to be desired.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I was afraid that would be the answer...I ended up turning it on in another bedroom on a regular old tube TV and the picture was more detailed but there were horizontal lines thru it and it was pretty snowy/static-y. So I assumed that might be part of the problem.

Mr. Lynch, I will be SO happy if I get home today and the HD is hooked up and we have CBS but I don't think that is going to happen because I ended up emailing the comcast customer care people about not having CBS, PBS, or Fox in our area and she said they don't have an agreement worked out w/ any of them yet.

But I'm sure we all know how knowledgeable some customer service people can be...not very. So I'll hold out hope...

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 559
Jeremy-

your first month with HD, you probably won't watch anything but Discovery HD, INHD, INHD2. That's about all we watched.

I wish I could watch tonights Sonics game in HD, but I guess I can settle for a good thrashing of the Pistons in SD...Ray Allen for threeeeeeeeeeee!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Jeremy:

You might want to check you cable connection. There are times when I am forced to watch SD (Star Trek and SciFi channel -- you can see what I am into). I find the JVC actually does a pretty good job with the picture, considering what it has to work with.

I have a cable amplifier that is also a four-way splitter (Radio Shack). This helps preserve the signal as it gets split off to 3 TVs and the cable modem.

When Comcast comes out to your house for the HD, have them check the cable sigal strength -- that could be your problem.

hstraub
Unregistered guest
Long story, but I returned the TV to Sears....... I am still getting one, but I think I am going to Pac2000. Has anyone here NOT been happy with Pac2000?
BTW, with VISA, they automatically double the manufacturers warranty if you use your Visa at no additional cost. All you have to do is register it with them after the purchase and hold on to all receipts.
Also, my local SAM's club is selling DVI and HDMI cables for under $20....FYI.

Any feedback on Pac2000 is appreciated.

Mitch
Unregistered guest
61" Owners: I need to know the width of the 61" JVC. I am getting ready to build the stand. I read that it was 58"; however, it looked more like 60" at the store on a 61" stand.
thanks,
Mitch

parts unknown
Unregistered guest
Mitch....
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027316&pathId=114&page=2

57 3/8" x 41 1/8" x 18 5/8"

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Parts Unknown. Thanks,
Mitch
FYI: Looking at magazines today and I flipped through AV mag Mr. Lynch mentioned earlier and they had a little write up on the 52". The editor stated that it was the best HDTV out there with proper tuning for the money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Well I ended up getting the HD hooked up after a hassle w/ the Comcast people...bottom line, they said they were gonna be here Friday between 2 and 5 pm so my wife took vacation to be home when they got there, well i called close to 5 and the lady he would be here around 5:30/6. we had somewhere to be so I argued and got a $20 credit and was supposed to come Sat. morning. well the guy showed up anyways, got it hooked up last night AND $20 credit. Not very short story but oh well.

I LOVE HD!!!!!!! I LOVE HD!!!!!!! I LOVE HD!!!!!!! I LOVE HD!!!!!!! I LOVE HD!!!!!!! I LOVE HD!!!!!!!

I wish every channel were HD. Mr. Lynch, you are so right! I am going to watch Discovery HD all the time. Wife and I watched "Making of Sunrise Earth" or whatever....SO beatiful. This TV freakin rocks!!!! We just got done watching a doc on Beavers and then "the vanishing"....wow, this is very great!

Mr. Lynch, what did you think of the game last night?! I couldn't freakin believe it. we were on a roll the past like 12 games and now we lost our last two. Sonics were ALL over the ball playing so fast and tough. Congrats on the win, but don't let it fool you, Pistons WILL repeat. And I'll be watching it all in HD!! (hopefully)

Unforunately, now CBS, Fox, or PBS. and when it was first hooked up, all i got was Discovery, and the two local HD channels. No ESPN, INHD, nor INHD2. Called comcast and said i had to have digital classic, so its ended up being another $6.95 on top of the $5.00 to get HD (plus the digital cable which is cool i guess, no better than analog except the guide thing i guess). All in all, I'm paying like $65 for Digital classic w/ HD. Is that good? what are you guys paying? Should ESPNHD,INHD/2 be included in the $5???

The guy showed me the cable->power->menu trick so I set it to 720p, that's right isn't it? Any other secrets?!

So excited....sorry for the long (and annoying I'm sure) post. Gonna watch some College Hoops in HD!

WOOHOO!!

Username: Pfabulus

Des Moines

Post Number: 1
I just had a HD52Z575 delivered on 2/25/2005. I have noticed two problems:

1.) Vertical smudge marks on both left and right side of television. This has been discussed in great detail on this forum. After the television warms up the smudge marks go away.

2.) I am seeing frequent thin vertical red line flashes (from the top to the bottom of the screen). I am not seeing any other color, just red. The flashes are very fast and disappear almost immediately. The location of these flashes move to different locations each time. I am seeing these flashes on all input sources:

a.) HDMI - DirecTv Receiver (SD and HD broadcasts)
b.) Component Video - JVC DVD player
c.) S-Video - PlayStation
d.) OTA NTSC signal connected to RF input.

All of my A/V components are connected to a middle of the line surge protector.

I have not seen this as a problem in any of the posts that I have read.

I have sent an Email to JVC, but have not heard back from them yet.

Does anyone know the source of these flashes?

Wishfull1
Unregistered guest
Is Globalsupersale out of business? I've been trying their website www.globalsupersale.com and it is gone. Has anyone heard anything?

Thanks
BD

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Ok so now that I have HD, I want more of it! I am looking around and see that Dish Network offers ESPNHD, Discovery, HDNet, HDNet movies, and TNT. They also offer CBS if you are in an eligible area (which I don't know if I am, but oh well). Also, w/ their Dish 811 receiver, you can hook up an antenna and pick up local HD broadcasts. Would this pick up local SD broadcasts too because I'm not sure Dish Network would carry local broadcasts?? But I can get this, w/ what appears to be free installation, and my monthly bill will be $64/month. Plus there are WAY more channels and they are better than Comcast digital cable.

I've never had any experience w/ Satellite systems before and not even sure if I would be able to pick up local HD broadcasts in my area (Swartz Creek, MI 48473) but it seems like a pretty decent deal.

Any feedback? I really would like CBS and Fox in HD and TNT would be nice too........I was just looking some more and saw similar programming on DirecTV but you have to buy the hardware, not just rent it...right?

So confusing, I just want the most HD bang for my buck....can anyone provide some info? dang comcast, can't they just add more HD?!?

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 16
jeremy,
Just sign up for the Comcast platinum package, and you'll have HBO HD, Cinemax HD Showtime HD, STARZ HD and more... ON DEMAND, and the DVR option, so you'll never miss a thing. That sounds like more HD than you can shake a stick at.. sure it costs more, but if you want the most HD bang for your buck, it can't be beat... AND, you may never got to another theater again.

My 2 cents, but my view on life is "If you're not going all the way, you're missing something."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I would like to have the HD channels but I don't care about the rest of the other 7 movie channels that come w/ each of the premiums. Whenever I watch movies, its usually a DVD. Good suggestion but just not for me.

I really wish I could get all the HD channels that VOOM offered...d'oh! I'm just going to have to wait for Comcast to get CBS and Fox and PBS.

ANOTHER QUESTION: I'm pretty sure I got the Motorola DCT5100 cable box...is there any way to hook up an antenna to the box or do something to pick up the local HD OTA feeds? It doesn't look like it, but just wondering.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Well, I have a JVC tech coming out to replace my light engine I guess because I have the green color fringe. You can slightly see purple on a black screen, otherwise, you see the green on light colored backgrounds and black and white movies. JVS has been nice to work with, wonder why I paid $400 for a BB extended warranty when JVC will fix everything the first year?

jeremy- Sorry the Heat will spoil your dreams this year :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
After this past week, it seems like anyone can spoil my dreams...granted the three teams we lost to are each one of the top 5 teams in the Western Conference, but still - I expected them to win! Just wait til playoffs, my boys'll come through.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Rick,

I had the green fringe problem and they replaced my light engine. It was very interesting because the two light engines were quite different in the way they were shielded. The one that was originally in the TV had copper actually wrapped around it and taped very neatly. The new one had metal pieces that were screwed on instead.

Unfortunately, the new light engine had a geometry problem (the entire picture was rotated about two to three degrees clockwise) that was noticed some time later. I also noticed the purple artifact that you're mentioning. It was in the middle of the screen and is very accurately depicted by Americastream's picture in this thread (around 1/10/05 - 1/20/05). Last week JVC sent a tech with an entirely new chassis. So far, so good. I echo your comments about JVC. They have been very good to work with.

Seattleite
Unregistered guest
I live in Seattle, so I have access to Pac-2000's "showroom". Since they actually have a showroom here in Washington (not just an online dealer), do you think that Seattle Best Buy, Sears, etc. will price match Pac-2000's price?

I'd buy from Pac-2000, but they don't have the no hassle 30 day return policy that the other places have. I'm going to be about 9 feet away from the tv, so I'm concerned that this 52 incher is too big and I would like to have the ability to return it if need be.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 560
Seattleite-

In the Seattle, Video Only will probably give you the best price if your looking to buy from a big box store. Take the Pac-2000 price in to them. Sears will match and beat by 10% if you find the right salesman. Sometimes they don't budge, other times they are more than willing to cut you a deal.
I personally bought from Video Only but I might have used Pac-2000 if I had known about them when I purchased my set.

I have the 52", and I usually sit about 9.5 feet away. I have a chair that's less than 8 ft and the TV looks fine. Sometimes I even sit on the floor maybe 6ft away from the set and I still like it. Standard def up that close is not the greatest, but DVD's and HD content are fine 6ft away. 9ft is plenty for the 52".

Seattleite
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the quick response Mr. Lynch. Video Only only has the 585 (black version). I think my wife likes the 575 better (silver). Besides the actual color of the housing, there's no other difference, right?

Should I really be concerned with the whole 179 or later serial number thing? What exactly has JVC done to improve the quality of the later builds?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 562
Your right about Video Only. They only carry the 585. Besides color, the 585 also adds smart sound. If you use a reciever, smart sound in useless.

On the newer builds they build the light engine in a different manner. More shielding and a cleaner build. The older engines were less efficent and prone to a "green glow" and other issues cause by light leakage. The problem still occurs, but at a very small rate as compared to before the changes. The first run light engines were in the June/July models, and a few August builds.

If you want a 575, try Sears before Best Buy. Good Guys also have them on sale a lot lately. That of course is if you decide not to go with Pac-2000.

Seattleite
Unregistered guest
Thanks again. I'll probably try to see if these other places will match Pac-2000. That would avoid a trip up to Woodinville.

I can't wait to get my new tv!!!

By the way, is the "green glow" thing something that is noticible almost immediately (i.e. you know that you have a bunk set right away), or is it something that develops over time?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 565
I noticed it on my set when it was first new, and after I had the bulb replaced. JVC told me to give the set/bulb a 2-3 week break-in period then evaluate it for issues. It has disappeared after a week or 2 both times.

Username: Cheapbyte

I just got my HD-52Z575 and am not happy with it. I think there is something wrong with it because the picture is a bit blury or out of focus most of the time. Sometimes while watching, there will be some secreens where the picture looks great, then blury. With my DVD player (JVC) the picture is not as blury, just doesn't look good. I have tried adjusting the detail, picture, brightness etc. to no avail. I also notice that text and some lines are jagged as well as pixlation. I am using a Dishnetwork 721 revceiver (SD) with S-Video and a JVC DVD player with component connection. If I hand't bought this via mail-order, I would have sent it back. I called the service center, but they make it sound like my expectations are to high for SD and to get an HD receiver.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Steve M,

It could be a combination of things. First of all, the focus is adjustable. To see if this is the problem, bring up a graphics page (i.e. menu from dish, menu of TV, etc.) and see if the characters are in focus. If not, the focus needs to be adjusted.

The other factor could be your video sources. The TV can only do what it is given. That is, crappy signals will produce very crappy results (GIGO = garbage in, garbage out). The TV is so good and so detailed that it magnifies imperfections. So, if you're using substandard components or are feeding a bad signal, you will notice it.

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 48
Steve M - You are using S-Video for SD. S-Video is mediocre at best. I personally don't care for the quality of S-Video and will run only component. SD varies from channel to channel. Like tvshopper said, GIGO. If you want a great picture, use component only, and get HD.

Check that your DVD player is outputting progressive - 480p. Big picture difference from 480i to 480p.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 566
Mr. Sparks and TV Shopper are right on. If you can upgrade from S-video, I'm sure you will be very pleased with the results. It is also very possible that the focus is off. Things have been know to get banged arouns shipping. It is nothing a tech could not fix in a few minutes.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 567
Mr. Sparks and TV Shopper are right on. If you can upgrade from S-video, I'm sure you will be very pleased with the results. It is also very possible that the focus is off. Things have been know to get banged around during shipping. It is nothing a tech could not fix in a few minutes.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 568
Mr. Sparks and TV Shopper are right on. If you can upgrade from S-video, I'm sure you will be very pleased with the results. It is also very possible that the focus is off. Things have been know to get banged around during shipping. It is nothing a tech could not fix in a few minutes.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 569
I know some readers are new, or just curious about the JVC DiLA (LCoS) set. Here is some helpful information.

What is LCOS technology?

Well, you could think of it as a hybrid between LCD and DLP. LCD uses liquid crystals, one for each pixel, on glass panels. Light passes through these LCD panels on the way to the lens and is modulated by the liquid crystals as it passes. Thus it is a "transmissive" technology. On the other hand, DLP uses tiny mirrors, one for each pixel, to reflect light. DLP modulates the image by tilting the mirrors either into or away from the lens path. It is therefore a "reflective" technology.

LCOS combines these two ideas. It is a reflective technology that uses liquid crystals instead of individual mirrors. In LCOS, liquid crystals are applied to a reflective mirror substrate. As the liquid crystals open and close, the light is either reflected from the mirror below, or blocked. This modulates the light and creates the image.

Since LCOS does not sell in the volumes that LCD and DLP do, many assume it is not as good as LCD or DLP. Nothing could be more wrong. Many well-informed videophiles seeking the most elegant home theater solutions opt for products using LCOS technology because of its unique blend of performance characteristics that neither LCD nor DLP offer.

LCOS sets have several key advantages over the more popular technologies. First, due to high fill factors (minimal space between pixels) on the chips, visible pixelation on an LCOS machine is nonexistent. Even close up the pixel structure is less visible than you get with the high resolution 1280x720 DLP Mustang chip. So the resulting video image can be smooth as silk.

Second, with LCOS the pixel edges tend to be smoother compared to the sharp edges of the micro-mirrors in DLP. This gives them an analog-like response, whereas micro-mirrors add high frequencies that accentuate their digital nature. In practical terms, this gives the LCOS image a smoother, more natural look and feel, while DLP tends to impart a synthetic sharpness to the image that some would describe as harsh. (On the other hand, some people prefer the sharper image that DLP delivers. This is a matter of personal taste.)

Fourth, the absence of a color wheel means there is no chance of you or anyone you invite into your theater being bothered by rainbow artifacts, eye-strain, or headaches that some people can be susceptible to when viewing single-chip DLP projectors. This is normally not a problem for most users of DLP products. The lack of a color wheel in an LCOS projector eliminates the problem entirely.

The primary weakness of LCOS technology is contrast. Currently most LCOS products are rated in the range of 500:1 to 800:1 (JVC DiLA 1000:1). So they do not have the contrast performance that most DLP products are able to achieve. However, if there is indirect ambient light in the viewing space, the differences in contrast become much less of an issue.

Those familiar with the recent Texas Instruments study that highlighted a particular failure mode in LCD are aware that LCD panels may eventually degrade over the long run due to a breakdown of organic compounds used in their construction. JVC has made it clear that there are no organic compounds used in the D-ILA technology and therefore this failure mode does not exist with D-ILA. Thus image reliability of their products over the long run is comparable to or exceeds that of DLP. The same cannot be said for every version of LCOS on the market.
People who prefer a natural, well-balanced, elegant image over one with particularly high contrast and sharpness would do well to check out the LCOS machines on the market today.

I would like to thank Evan Powell for all his informative writings.

Lanny
Unregistered guest
I just found these forums and there is some great info being passed around here. I am having a problem with my hdmi port. I cant get it to work with my zenith dvb318 or my pc anymore using the dvi to hdmi cable. It just quit all of a sudden. I have been in the self check and am showing an ng2 on the hdmi. I have powered down to reset the failure history and when I power back up the problem is still there. Is my hdmi port probably blown? thanks in advance
Lanny

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 17
Hey guys,

Is there a difference in sound quality between using the coaxial or digital optical?

Scott

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 49
"Is there a difference in sound quality between using the coaxial or digital optical?"

I've tried both. No difference that I can hear, for short distances.
Technical articles I have read say the same. The important difference is the distance you can run the cables. Optical can be run longer distance without loss than coax.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Mr Sparks is right, optical is for longer runs, for short runs, both are indistinguishable.

tvshopper- I hope this replacement is final, and I don't develop more issues like you. So the new engine had metal on it? I wonder if that would affect an attempt at placing a glass filter anywhere near it. (someone tried the neutral filter mod, and concluded glass is needed to counter the heat) I might try the mod sooner or later because it's so annoying knowing how tight this TV would be if blacks were darker.

Username: Tsgrayson

Has anyone seen this problem on the JVC http://photos.yahoo.com/anthonygrayson@sbcglobal.net

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Tony,

The file is inaccessible.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Tony,

Sorry it is just the link that isn't complete. I've never seen that before. You should send the photo to JVC's support.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Rick,

The metal was shielding and containment. The lens is still glass. I don't believe it would affect the modification.

xxSteve0xx
Unregistered guest
Just wanted to thank all of you for the wonderful info. I have been enjoying my HD52Z575 for a month now. I didn't decide to buy until I found this post.

I do have a question. You can notice on my tv that when in a dark scene that the blacks seem to pulse ever so slightly. Even on a great channel like discovery hd on a landscape the darks shift of pulse. Has anyone else noticed this?

RaveD
Unregistered guest
Pulsing blacks is sometimes an artifact of MPEG-2 compression. I wonder if that's what you're seeing, rather than an effect unique to the JVC.

xxSteve-0xx
Unregistered guest
I'm not sure. If you look close enough theres a subtle shift in the darks every other second.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Tony- Weird issue. Looks like a smudge of some kind, A finger print on the bulb or lens maybe? You can pop it open and wipe it off maybe?

Lanny- just call JVC and tell them. They have been great with me so far.

tvshopper- thanks. When the tech comes out to replace mine, I will take note of what it looks like to kind of warm me up to it.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 570
steve-o-

Just a thought...
do you have Dynamic Gamma On or Off? It is suppose to help out black levels and might be causing the flickering.

xxSteve-0xx
Unregistered guest
The Dynamic Gamma is on. Appreciate all your info. Thanks esp. Mr. Lynch for yours. This was my first post but I've been reading all of yours and I'm sure a lot of people have bought this tv because of your good info!

Username: Snapper

Post Number: 2
Just purchase the jvc HD-52Z575 from costco and should arrive in about a week. I have been looking at a new dvd player and currenlty have a dennon 3805 receiver. Im looking at the denon 1910, is this a good match to the tv? also what is the best way to wire, dvi/hdmi or using component cables? is it best to run the dvd direclty to the tv or thru the receiver? btw will be using directv/tivo. thanks for the help drew.

Username: Snapper

Post Number: 3
Has anyone found a decent stand that somewhat matches the tv, size and color and has enough room for other equip? I looked at the circuit city tech craft ptv583 is 58" however the tv is 50", im looking for something in the 50 category. I have speakers that need to fit and wont with the 58".

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 571
Drew-

Checkout this thread. It has many different stands. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114959.html

Techcraft does make 48" wide version htat is perfect for the JVC. You can see it in the last picture.

Username: Stp

Post Number: 4
Got my new JVC HD-52Z585 this afternoon, Jan '05 build. Great picture out of the box !!!

Switched out my SciAtl 8000HD settop with a newer SA 8300HD settop (I work for a small cable company and the RF Engineer is a friend... he recommended this due to the fact it has a working HDMI output), and the picture is fantastic !!

Discovery HD is amazing (more than I expected). I've seen it on Mist. RP-CRT, Samsung DLP (HD3 chip), and the JVC D-ILA picture is definately superior.

Small issue with no sound through HDMI from SA8300HD settop, but picture both through HDMI and Component are amazing. All I had to do was set to TheaterPro mode and watch.

Look forward to going through DV Essentials this weekend and tweaking the settings further.

Gonna have to replace the Onkyo DV-CP702 DVD changer ... only 480p out and doesn't look good enough (not that it looks bad)... gonna go for a DVD with upconversion ... I hear the sony 975 is a good choice. I'd like to stick with Onkyo, but the price for the DV-SP1000 is too much ($2000) after dropping $2500 on a TV ... maybe in a few months the price will drop.

Thanks again to all for providing the information in this forum to help guide my decision.

- A very happy new JVC HD-ILA owner

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Ok so i got my 575 from best buy two sundays ago, it was an open box item. well i ended up getting the 575 off buydig.com w/ the same warranty, shipped w/ white glove delivery, for $2580! I paid $3220 at Best Buy. I still need a new prog scan DVD player and to get some cables so by the time I'm done, I will be saving about $500...i'm pretty happy.

So the new TV is being delivered today...what are the things I should check for when it is delivered before I sign for it? I mean obviously for a signal and stuff like that but any nitpicky things? One thing that sucked was I got the remote for 575 but the backlight does not work so I am going to check on that. but i suppose i wouldn't refuse delivery b/c the remote doesn't work. any advice? I'm really nervous cause this open box model has been pretty much flawless, no problems like smudges or tint problems or anything so I'm scared to get another one for fear it WILL have those problems and I can't take it back. I'll ahve to get it repaired.

So any advice on what to check for?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Also, I need a DVD player and my stand has three compartments for equipment. Two are 15" wide and have glass doors on them, are on the sides, and have a shelf in them... the other is in the middle, open in the front (no door) and is about 19"-20" wide. The open space is about 6"-7" high (there is a big drawer underneath that). It looks similar to the bottom half of this except w/ glass doors: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_9/601-9408364-2816918?%5Fencoding= UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B00006J9EY

I currently have the xbox and vcr on the left most side and my stereo thing on the right side and my Moto cable box in the middle section. I would like to find a good (name-brand) DVD player less than 15" wide to put in the other space but that is proving to be difficult.

Does anyone know of a good DVD player less than 15" wide

OR

can I put the cable box on top of the DVD player? This will not leave much ventilation room for the cable box...will this be a problem?

Thanks again for all the help everyone! I've almost got everything done and I'll stop pestering you all soon!

Post Number: 2
Drew,

Look at Circuit City for the 55" Z-Line Maximum, it looks fantastic and can fit three components wide per shelf. I paid $349.00

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 18
here's the link to that Z-line stand...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Z-Line-Designs-55-TV-Stand-Z22-1S-/sem/rpsm/oid/9 3807/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Post Number: 3
Mr Sparks - Mr. Lynch,

I appreciate your recommendations. I just can't believe how aweful the picture looks from my Dishnetwork reciever using S-Video (it only has S-Video and Composite). When I say aweful, I mean blury. I spent last night going through DVD's and watching Dishnetwork and Cable to try an determine if the picture every looks good. As I stated before, sometimes the picture is clear and looks great. I spoke with JVC customer care and I am going to try and get a tech to come out. If the tech says nothing is wrong, anybody want to buy a brand new D-ILA 52" with a five year gurantee cheap?

Post Number: 4
Jeremy,

I bought my JVC from Buydig.com, there ordering speed was great, but there are no return if the box is opened. I was willing to eat 10% restocking to send mine back and order a Plasma from them, but they said no, they have no means of selling opened box sets.

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
I had my optical engine replaced last night. I had a green left side before, now I have a green left top corner and a slight purple top right corner. So, instead of an entire side, the new engine only color fringes to the corners. I'll take more pictures and send to JVC, I guess another replacement is in order. Maybe this will go on until July and I can beg for a 2nd gen set? :-) hehe

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 19
PAC-2000 Update...

The Shippers didn't get it to the Delivery Company's warehouse in time for the 1 Delivery Truck to get it from Atlanta to Nashville this week, so I will have to wait for the set to arrive early next week... bummer.

But this is not PAC-2000's fault, and all I can do is shake my fist at the sky.

I saved like 800 bucks, so I'm not complaining.

Scott

FYI
Unregistered guest
I just found this on AVS forum:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05130.html
All JVC units manufactured between May 2004 and November 2004 are being recalled

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
FYI- thanks for the heads up. When I had my optical engine replaced, the tech also placed a plastic cap type gizmo onto some wires by the projector unit. I wonder what that was, not sure if that's related but it was an additional part, not replacing anything that i had.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
should I take delivery on this unit if it is mfg'd between these dates??? or should I refuse?

Peter t
Unregistered guest
I just called and my usint made in Sept is a recall model the 575, now awaiting service to get to my home, they are aso going to look at the green vertical liones I noted a few weeks ago, the good news appears to be that they are source dependant so the green lines did not sghow in DVD or even in HD thru HDMI, but some SD material thru same source and input does show these vertical green lines... will keep you posted, but the TV still is great...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us