TV stands for tabletop RP sets

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 362
One of the most talked about things in this forum is TV stands. Since most of the TVs discussed are very large tabletop sets, I thought it would be nice to show people how you have your TV setup, and maybe show off a bit.

I think it will be very helpful, and maybe give others out there some ideas.

Please only post if you have a short comment, or your own pix to display. Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Samsung, JVC, Sony, RCA, LG or any other brand are welcome. LCD, DLP, LCoS, it is all good. Lets see what you got.

Here is what I started with:

Upload

How it looks now:

Upload

I'm currently building a new stand that is built into the wall, but this setup will do for now.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 363
I started a new thread for pix of TV stands. Since most DLP, LCD, and LCoS sets are similar size, I'm curious as to what solutions people came up with for a stand. Please check it out and post your pix if you like.

Thanks for help in getting it going.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 89
I came up with this design based on MDF and piping.

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Douga

Post Number: 23
Here is my 61" JVC on a Techcraft PTV582 stand. I bought the stand before I actually had the TV, but it turned out pretty good. Stand is very basic, but only $209.

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 373
Doug-
That looks real nice. The stand looks like it was made for the set.

Username: Jason_h

Post Number: 1
Doug,

How do you like the TechCraft, is it well made? I was looking the the TechCraft PTV48 or the Haropa R13SVG for my 51" DILA. I like the back panel on the TechCraft for hiding cables.

Also, may I ask where you bought yours?

--nice to see three DILA's in the same thread.

Brian Witz
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch
The second stand pictured in your first post is exactly the layout I am looking for. Do you have any detailed dimensions or other drawings? Any help would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Douga

Post Number: 24
Jason, I personally think that the TechCraft is well built. Everything is solid and sturdy. My only beef is that the glass is not permenately attached to the top, it just sits there. It makes it hard to move the stand around becuase you can't lift from the top.

I am happy with the stand though and it works better than I thought. One of the few that was the right width and had 2 shelves. I bought it from Circuit City (who had it priced at $299). I told the manager I saw it for as low as $209 within the past couple of months so he gave it to me for that price wihtout any hesitation.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 377
Brian-

The 2 pix I posted are of the same stand. It is 23" tall, 16" deep, and just over 50" wide. About the same exact size as the TV. I bought it at Ikea of $99. It originally was designed to have 8 square compartments. I modified it to fit my needs. I adjusted the dividers, added grill cloth over the center channel and added a new base.

I don't know if you have an Ikea in your area, but you can checkout their website @ www.ikea.com

Username: Fkubick

Post Number: 2
The set is placed in an alcove which is
55"W, 27"D, 10'H

Username: Fkubick

Post Number: 3
Try again. The set is placed in an alcove which is 55"W, 27"D, 10'HUpload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 412
Frank-

Nice set up. The set fits in there perfect.

Username: Lnault

Hey Frank ~
Can you please tell me where you got the stand? THAT'S what I've been looking for!
Thanks,
Lauren

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=219243#POST219243

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Vista1, Ca Usa

Here's a picture of the stand I made for my JVC.

Upload

I used wood leftover from my house deck. It's called IPE` and won't rot for 25 years.

Anyway, I cut it so the pieces fit together with minimal use of screws.
I wanted the top low, so the bottom components are on a piece of shelf glass.

Mr Sparks

Bronze Member
Username: Thedvdguy

Post Number: 14
Just posting this message now, so I get updates for this thread. I will post a picture of my TV and stand once it arrives early next week.

-Brett

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 488
Mr. Sparks-

I really like that wood, how much does it run? I like your stand design too. Very clean layout with a unigue design. Nice work!

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Dallas, Texas USA

Here's mine.
My stand is 28" tall & consider it a perfect hieght, got it at Costco for 289.99.
I sit 12 feet away from the TV & it looks near perfect with SD.
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 28
The IPE` decking wood cost, if I remember right, cost about $25 for 6" X 12' X 5/8". It's a really beautiful wood.

My center speaker is too wide for most store bought. The top is 18" off the floor.

Granted the bottom shelf on the floor is a little funky. It was a choice between floor shelf or putting my TV higher.

I was originally going to buy a big piece of glass for the top but forgot about it.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 118
I'm in the same boat as Mr. Lynch:
ikea for $100.

Upload

Ryan

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 526
some more pix I found...
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Nuclearfish

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 11
It's interesting to note that the sets that are surrounded on all sides by speakers/shelving appear smaller than the sets that have a little breathing room.

Mr. Obvious
Unregistered guest
I noticed this thread is titled "TV stands for tabletop RP sets." And all this time, I thought TV stood for "television". Stupid me! Thanks for clearing this up.

Anonymous

I hope that was not an attempt at sarcasm.

Calif. USA

Here's my RP "TV" stand, the TechCraft PTV48, for my 52" DiLA. It is the smaller version of Doug's.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 546
Jason-

Nice setup! It looks like those techcraft stands were made for the JVC.

Username: Ruffwood

Here is a modular stand I built using 3 19x16x21" plywood boxes. Upload
Upload

Username: Jagfan

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 4
JasonH
I've been looking at that model and the DLP48X for some time. I have a Sony KDF42WE655 and I think either one would look great. I looked at the specs and the width (front) of the unit is 48". The unit angles towards the rear and the specs don't provide the width across the rear of the unit. If you have time, I'd appreciate if you could provide the measurement.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 592
robert-

Thanks for the post, nice build. That thing looks store bought. What is the total heighth on your stand?

Calif. USA

Post Number: 4
jagfan,

Yeah, it's 48" wide, 20" deep. It goes back 10" straight before angling in towards the back(angled part is 11.5"), which is 36" across.

Hope that helps. I found them(PTV48) on display at my local Sears, if you want to check it out in person.

Jason

Calif. USA

Post Number: 5
Those measurements are for the top glass piece. It overhangs the front on my stand--I think Doug lined his up even with the front. I can post a pic if you want.

Username: Jagfan

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 6
Jason H
Thanks so much. That helps. I got the pictures and info at Sears but they didn't have any in stock so I have to order. I plan to place it in a corner and wanted to know just how much space it would take up. My local CC carries the 58" model but not the 48" model. I'm hoping Sears puts them on sale as $300 seems a bit steep. Your set up looks great.

Username: Ruffwood

MR Lynch

First thanks for all your great information on the JVC HDTV. The stand is 21 1/2" tall and is modular. I built the Base, Top and 3 Boxes and the screwed them together. This made the stand easy to construct and easy to assemble by myself. The top is 51 1/2" long by 21 3/4 wide. The back of each box is removable and the ones behind the receiver and sat. box are open for better airflow.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 31
here are a few pics of our set-up. It's a Jan. Build... Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 599
Scott-

Nice stand!
It looks like you have your components hidden. Do use a remote with an IR repeater, or do you just open the doors?
Just to the left and right of the doors it looks like it could possible hide your front speakers behind the cream colored material. Is that the case?

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 33
Thanks Mr. Lynch,

The JVC Receiver is RF, and has an IR blaster that I use to control the DVD player.

I had thought that the cable box/DVR was RF, but no dice.

I'm going to have to look into a remote that is RF with IR repeaters (MX-600?)

The speakers are just where you thought they were..

There's a cavity on each side behind the speaker mesh..

I've included pics of inside and speaker areas. I used acoustic foam inside the speaker cavity, wrapping the back and sides of the speakers, and bought some "Mo-Pads", which are acoustic foam pads for studio speakers, that I placed underneath the speakers, and also my subwoofer, which is on the opposite end of the room.

scott

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 601
I like the "stealthy" setup. Now if they just made everything wireless...

I currently use the MX-500 remote, which is the same as the MX-600 but without the IR repeater. The 500 has been an incredible remote, so I would highly recommend the MX-600. I kind of wish I would have spent a little more and got the MX-600. It could come in handy in the future.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 602
I just remembered that parts express still has the RCA touchscreen remote with RF on clearance. You can't beat the price.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=189-065

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 611
I finally got my new stand set up. I've been working on it here and there for a few months. I wanted to make something very unique. I still have a few things to do and I need to hide the wires but it is atleast up.
I made the stand on the base of the set "disappear", so it looks like the screen is sitting on the table. The covered area below the set holds my center channel speaker.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 35
Sweet...
Who's the little guy on your right speaker?

Scott

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 614
The little guy is a voodoo looking statue my buddy got on a trip to Hawaii. He has a surfer friend behind him that another friend picked up in the Bahammas.

Bronze Member
Username: Soitgos

Post Number: 18
Mr. Lynch
This is the setup of our 52z585. The 2 towers on each side we had around our old Pioneer 46" big screen that died. We had the center stand made by a friend and he matched the color well considering the other pieces were several years old. We did not want to start over as we had quite a bit of money already invested in the cabinets. We really enjoy the new system and are happy with the way it all went together. Enjoy your new form and check it often to see the new ideas.
Thanks for all your input
Jim

Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 619
Jim-

Nice fit. Your friend did a great job. My parents are in the same situation. Their 15 year old 47" RCA set just died, and they have a cabinet very similar to yours. They want to get a new HDTV but my mom will not part with the cabinet. Maybe they can do something similar to your setup. Thanks for posting your pix.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 634
I thought I might add my matching subwoofer. I had some left over speakers laying around from a previous car stereo setup, so I thought I would put them to use.

The box make out of MDF, and covered with woodgrain vinyl ($15 a roll) from parts express. It consists of 3 JL audio 8w6s and a 300w subwoofer amp ($110) also purchased from Parts express.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 37
That looks pretty deadly Mr L...

Bronze Member
Username: Hstraub

Post Number: 21
Here is my new setup:
JVC HD52Z575 TV
Magnepan 3.5R front speakers
Magnepan center channel
NAD T763 surround Receiver
LG 3510A HD Tuner/upscaling DVD
Axiom 10" Sub w/Aluminum driver
Infinity Surrounds

Hometheater5.jpg

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 664
hstraub-

How do you have your center channel setup? Did you build a stand for it to sit on the TV, or is it wall mounted?

Bronze Member
Username: Hstraub

Post Number: 23
It actually fits perfectly on top of the TV with no help. There are 3 rubber feet on it, one in the middle/front and 2 on the rear corners. They straddle the top of the TV perfectly, it is amazingly stable. My neighbor thought it was part of the TV, it looks pretty good up there.

Username: Drewpix

My JVC setup. The cabinet is a sideboard that I got at IKEA. Although it's a bit particle-boardy, i like the dimensional proportions compared to the TV. The frosted glass doors are nice too. The center channel is a JBL EC-35 which rests on an angled adapter that I made. I was a little concerned about the weight of the speaker, but so far so good!

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 678
drewpix-

Nice setup. I like what you did with the center channel. Did you use double sided tape to hold the bracket on?

My Aunt uses the same exact stand for her 60" LCD. She has the Birch colored model and it seems to work great. The frosted glass hides the components somewhat, but still allow remotes to work. Nice setup!

Username: Drewpix

Mr. Lynch, thanks...and thanks for all your posts and distribution of those service manuals!

Regarding the bracket, I am using self-adhesive backed velcro. It held for only a few weeks, so I added another "tongue" to the bracket that rests on top bezel of the TV. It's very secure now.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 680
I wonder why none of the DLP or LCD owners have posted any pix? Do non JVC owners just set their TVs on the floor? I'm sure someone has a nice non JVC setup, lets see it!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 690
Here is a pic I was emailed. No info was included other than "check out my Panasonic, -Tony".

Upload

Username: Parodielin

My JVC 61 sits inside an entertainment center from Costco.com. There is a HK AVR 635, a PS2, and a Pioneer 366 DVD player sits below it.

Above is an Axiom VP150. Two Axiom M60 on each side.
Upload

Username: Gtanaka

El Segundo, CA

My Toshiba 52HM84 DLP HDTV sits on a TV stand from Pottery Barn. All of the enclosed components are controlled by a Niles RCA2 IR repeater. The IR sensor is to the left of the base. Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 700
Gene-

Thanks for posting!!! Nice clean setup. How do you like the response with the IR repeater? Is there any noticable delay or just it work just fine?

Username: Gtanaka

El Segundo, CA

Thanks Mr. Lynch,

I don't notice a delay in response.

Username: 4kilners

Post Number: 10
This is the setup for now until we get back to AZ:

JVC 61Z786 on an Emerald Home Furnishings entertainment center
Sony V333ES Reciever
JVC Progressive scan DVD
Terk5 HD antenna
XBOX
Martin Logan Aeon speakers (simply amazing!!)

More pics to follow once we get home.
Upload

Username: Parodielin

To Terry regarding to Costco Entertainment Center.

I cannot reply to your message so I'll just post my response here.

The Costco unit is Churchill Plasma Center. The mfg is Golden Oaks. It's been sold out from Costco so you won't be able to see that online. It costs around $1650. If you don't want the TV console, it's around $1100.

Depending on the size of your center channel speaker, like my Axiom VP150 on top couldn't fit into the tv console because there is a center piece divide the shelve into two parts (right and left). All the shelves are adjustable besides the divider. There is another adjustable hinge included in the package which is an ideal position for center channel. My tv is too big so there is no place for that hinge.

Hope this helps.

Username: Bstinman

Stow, OH

Here's my setup. Nothing special, but I was happy to find a stand for under $100 that goes well with the black 585 and has speaker mesh cabinets built in. Nothing like watching sports in high-def, this TV is awesome!

Upload

Username: Tommy_c

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 6
Since this a stand topic, here she is...minus one TV...the 525Z will be here tommorow! I'ts a CILAM6 stand modified a bit :-) paid under 200 bucks for it, shipped. The silver edges were scuffed up. Nothing a can of Krylon couldnt fix! BUT...since I was playing around, I covered the edges in Carbon Fiber Decal. Armed with a razor and a hair dryer, the results were quite pleasing (if they werent, I could rip it off and paint em anyway) When the wife got home, she loved the stand! Even said "those legs look cool". That was all I needed to hear...I'll keep em like that! TV pics tommorow. One other note... These aer all over ebay for short money. After seeing the guts of this thing, i HIGHLY reccomend buying of these. Make sure 1) the hardware is complete, and 2) the shelves arent broken. Apparently, JVC shipped a ton of these things with impropperly secured pieces, causing all the painted wood parts to rub and scuff. The wholesalers scooped em up and off to Ebay they went. You can paint, very easily, the scuffed parts and save a bundle! Piano laquer black, anyone?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 7
Heres what we replaced :-)
BTW..the center Channel : Emerson shelf system cabinets, re-braced, re-ported, and fit with 5 1/4 vifa drivers. Peerless tweeter horn dispersed is mounted directly into the facia of the entertainment center. Crossover is external and behind the facia as well. They match Mission Bookshelves with infiniti IL100 sub. Surrounds are Fluance dipole. Denon 3802 receiver conducting the orchestra. (last denon I'll ever buy...It's Sony ES from here on out, or seperates) Finally, a Samsung HD-841 that I havn't used yet!
Upload

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 8
I cant stop posting..HELP! BTW, the stand swivles ~10 degrees each way for that late night couch switch. 7 Rollers are used by JVC for this. Best RTA stuff Ive seen, actually. I'm done now...Good night

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 798
Tommy-

Nice setup. You seem to very handy, and found a great deal on the TV stand. I really like the carbon fiber you added to the legs. I'd like to see your setup when the JVC comes it. Keep us updated.

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 10
TV was delayed by the shipper :-( Have to wait 'till monday now.

Some REALLY nice setups on here! Mr Lynch, nice clean stand you built there. Drewpix, GREAT idea on the center to overcome the sharp dropout on the JVC. Bill, EXCACTLY how I evnision my finished basement one day :-) Since you have a nice clean main speaker setup; Ever think of making an infinite baffle sub for the faux wall? Looks like a perfect candidate for one.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 181
Mr. Lynch
Silver Member
Seattle , WA
Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 05:54 pm:

I wonder why none of the DLP or LCD owners have posted any pix? Do non JVC owners just set their TVs on the floor? I'm sure someone has a nice non JVC setup, lets see it!

Well...Mr. Lynch....here's my far fetched idea for a home theater setup!

I spotted a granite shop while out cruising on my RS Warrior and thought I might try to talk the guy out of a slab. I told him my idea about stretching a chunk across my big Cerwin Vega floor speakers and he thought I was nuts. He said, "Any big screen tv will crack the thickest piece I've got if you don't support the middle 40 inches." I told him that the micro displays were a lot lighter and could we give it a try. He found a nice piece left over from a kitchen counter top job and agreed to round the corners and shine the edges in his spare time for beer money. Three weeks later he called and asked where I lived. He wanted to bring it himself, I suppose, to see the crash. You should have seen his eyes when he picked up his end of my 50 inch DLP. "Damn thing is light", he said! The wife came up with the idea of sliding the iron and wicker table under it for components. The granite guy didn't know that I had two more smaller floor speakers. He offered to make some matching tops for those. I think it turned out ok. There's plenty of room for a bigger set some day.

Let's keep this thread going.

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 50
Hey FYI,

Nice set-up. I have some speakers almost identical to yours. Mine are the Cerwin Vega D-9's. My center and surrounds are Klipsch. Here's a pic of my set-up when I had my Sony XS-60". Nothing too special, but it does shakes the house plenty well. As you may remember from previous post, I took the Sony back due to stuck pixels and am waiting to see the new JVC 1080P set before deciding on what to get next. I don't watch a whole lotta tv in the summer anyway, so I figured that I could wait. Upload

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 183
Nice arrangement there, HD F!

Rock the house, no doubt! More like rock the block!
What drives those puppies?

I've been hearing next month on that fast scanning JVC 1080P.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

FYI - sweet idea with the granite! I think it's a very under-utilized material. Good luck moving it! :-)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 808
FYI-

Very original, nice work!

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 26
Just noticed the built in componants...a touch of beauty.

Username: Mgdhoki

Centreville, VA USA

HD Fanatic,

Is that the RK-CPR66 stand under your Sony, or is it a Sony specific stand?

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 52
FYI,

Thanks for the kind words. Actually it does rock the block pretty well. My neighbors haven't complained yet though. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver that drives the system. It puts out 120 watts rms for all 5 channels. It does alright, but maybe in the future I will upgrade to a good seperates system like Adcom. The black box on the right side of the picture is a Definitive Technologies 18" subwoofer for subterranean bass. It has a built-in 500 watt amp. It gets the job done but somehow I always feel that there is room for improvement.

M.W.

The stand under the Sony is actually made by Bush, model # VS74377. It has glass shelves and the top will support about 150 lbs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us