Stuck on what to buy :-( Sooooo frustrating

Username: Sp0rtz

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

I have been looking at TV's for about 3 months and haven't decided. As you know spending 4-5k isn't an easy thing to do when you could be dissappointed with the one you have picked. I was basically set on buying the Toshiba 62HM84 DLP TV, it looks really nice at Best Buy when you see it in there. I was reading some reviews on the TV and I guess some people can see a "Rainbow" throughout the picture? not exactally if that's a defect or just rare people can see it .. I dunno. After reading more, I saw a lot of people on here like the JVC HD52Z575 and HD61z575 Rear Projection TV's. From experience, I know when you sit off to an angle the picture brightness gets worse :-(

I'd love some personal opinions either LCD, DLP or Rear Projection. Will also be playing xbox on this tv as well.

Please respond when you have a minute

Thanks

Darren

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Well...you're a gamer! Here is one thread about gaming folks and their experiences. There are many good threads in "Rear Projection". Read...read...read!

As for me, I don't like LCD or LCOS or D-ILA. Stuck or failing pixels and discoloration in 2000 hours or less just doesn't cut it. I'm a DLP guy! Some 50 inchers have come way down to around $2000. I wouldn't go any bigger unless your going to be 20 feet away from it. The rainbows are gone in new sets. Get an extended warranty whatever you choose. Color wheels can eventually have bearing noise. ($160 part) You may go through several. I have a Samsung HLP 5063W. The picture is unmatched. HD is awesome. PC hook-up is terrific. That's just me, though! Some like RCA's or Mits or Toshi's. All have Texas Instruments DLP chips, but some screens look better than others. Read...read...read.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/115133.html

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=3029802& isbn=&pid=

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your reply.

I will look into the Samsung HLP 5063W as well, I'm not closed minded at all, just want something really nice. I'm sort of a DLP guy myself, have liked them since they came out. Do you think the Toshiba 62HM84 DLP "rainbows" would be gone? What I'm wondering is, if it was a problem with the TV 3 months ago, would the problem be fixed by now?

I'm going to check out the Samsung HLP 5063W now :-)

D

Post Number: 6
Back ....

I checked out the Samsung HLP-5063W and I also seen the Samsung HLP-5685W. Any difference/bugs in the tv? there webpage says, exact same aside from the other one is bigger.

Darren

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Unless I'm mistaken, and someone will surely correct me if I am, the 85 series is the so called "Captain Kirk" on the post pedestal. There are 74 series non-ped models that get good reviews on this forum. Both are newer, not really better models. My 63 series is a much improved advancement over the HLN models. It's an HD3 chip with a third generation light engine. I think the newer models have the same chip with a fourth gen light engine and, of course, cost more. I think this is the best deal on one like mine.

http://www.lcdtvs.com/lcd/Product.asp_X_SKU_Y_HLP5063W

I have a 5 year extended warranty with CPS, (Consumer Priority Service), a Phillips service affiliation. That should take care of one lamp replacement, several color wheels, and whatever else this cutting edge technology may conger up. I'm in for the long haul. In the future, Texas Instruments will be using a prism 3 chip module (no color wheel) in rear projection sets. They are already using a first gen non-modular version in pricey front projection models costing $20k and up. I want one of those 3 chip prism sets when the price is right. Hopefully, about the time my warranty runs out.

As for the Toshi, read...read...read!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/109367.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/16961.html

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 97
Do YOURSELF a favor and hook up your Xbox to any HDTV you're thinking about buying, before plunking down any money!

I've read scads of complaints about lag problems with DLP sets. It's 'the thing' they're always going to fix in the next firmware update, but never do. Personally, I have a Sony Grand Wega and our game boxes work fine on it, including Xbox.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
I just did a quick search. In case you think I'm BS'ing you about lag, here's a link for you:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/video-games/84818.html

I've probably read 100 posts just like this... :-(

While I'm at it, I might as well poison the well a little more. In a word, color saturation. I guess that's two words, so let's say clay-faces. That's sort of one word.

DLP's look good in the showroom, at first viewing, because they suffer from over-saturation of colors. Everything has that Disneyland look to it, including ppl's faces. That's fine and dandy for a few minutes, but after a while you will tire of looking at everyone's clay-face, e.g. burnt-orange skin tint. I know I do. Everyone looks like an Indian, you know? That's why I didn't buy one...

Sony GW's, on the other hand, have a MUCH more pastel-ish and life-like look about them. Sure, you can 'turn everything up' and make it look like a DLP, but who would want to do this? Then again, some ppl buy paintings of neon colored flowers on black velvet canvasses. To each his own!

Anyway, I'll stop there. Some ppl like audio/video sync lag, dithering problems, clay-faces, stuck mirrors, and the dreaded rainbow effect. LoL! Why else would you buy a DLP?

It's your rice-bowl...

Post Number: 7
Thanks for responding.

Here's a few main concerns. I have checked out the Sony KP57WS520 and the KP50WE620, even the guy at Best Buy says on the Sony Rear Projection-LCD TV's like mentioned above, they won't have as sharp of images while playing xbox games and any fast paced motion like Halo II will lag a slight bit on the tv. That's what I have also read in these forums.

Aside from "Rainbows" the dlp seems like a very very nice TV, especially the Toshiba 62HM84, which will have sharp images and 0 lag. I personally couldn't see any rainbows, a friend and I stood there for about an hour and tried to see them, but couldn't.

I also looked at the JVC DILA tv cause it was around the corner, thre are tons of threads and posts about this tv, but I didn't see anything special about it, and to be honest it looked a little blurry compared to other tv's at the store. Best Buy also said they don't sell very main of them either ....

So I guess I'm stuck inbetween a Sony RP-LCD or the Toshiba Toshiba 62HM84 DLP.

Still not sure ...

Darren

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
About well poisoning:

I respect VIN! He has a lot of good posts. I'm not sure he's ever owned a DLP, though. I heard that some DLP sets were missing a digital filter that caused the clay-faced look he's talking about. Some people are brainwashed to the plug and play mentality. They just don't know how to optimize a picture. You didn't see any rainbows on that Toshi because there aren't any. I think it's got a "game mode" setting for that A/V lag that Vin's talking about. My Sammy doesn't lag a bit. Like I said before, the LCD's will fail in 2000 to 2500 hours, period. Todays DLP's will be operating 30 years from now. That's been proven!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1558%2C1049289%2C00.asp?kc=ETNKT0209KTX1 K0100361

Anonymous

LCD is a proven technology and LCD projection the best over-all hassle free way to create the big screen hi def experience

All the other new technologies have huge disadvantages, with almost none for LCD

LCD is a WORKHORSE all purpose technology for most people, no matter what their primary use of the TV is

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hi everyone,

Please see my 2nd link about 3 different types of TV's ... any feedback would be greatly apprieciated.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/119668.html

Thanks,

Darren

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Mr. Anon wants to make himself feel better about his LCD purchase. I guess he's afraid to read the truth. Enjoy it while you can. It will be unwatchable in a few years.

Darren,

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hi Post Reader

Ya .. I have taken the Sonly LCD out of my top 3 picks and I've narrowed it down to the

JVC D-ILA and the Toshiba 62HM84

So many people hype the JVC like it's the best on the market, and a lot of these guys know what they are talking about, but when I seen the TV at Best Buy .. I didn't think it was outstanding ... such a hard decision

Darren

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
JVC is okay, but they're a weird company. They like to be different, just to be different. They were the Japanese branch of RCA at one time. RCA was a high-end company back then, and JVC made a bunch of cheap junk. RCA was actually called RCA Victor and JVC stood for Japanese Victor Corporation. Whatever! Just giving you a little history...

Anyway, if it was me, I wouldn't be sinking any money into some untested technology. At some point your HDTV is going to require service and repair, and you're gonna be up D-ILA Creek without a paddle. But, that's just me...

As far as 'rainbow effect' is concerned, you don't have to stand in front of a DLP for an hour to see it. All DLP's produce it. Either YOU see it, or you don't. If you don't, you're one of the lucky ones!

If you'll pardon the pun, DLP is smoke 'n' mirrors. DLP uses a single chip and a spinning color wheel. It sends red, blue, and green light to your eyes sequentially, and your brain actually creates the picture. This is fine if YOUR eyes aren't sensitive to color artifacts, but some ppl ARE, and this is what they call 'rainbow effect.'

I think you should buy the Toshiba DLP and a subscription to Voom, or whatever, and call it a day. This isn't rocket science. You're going to drive yourself crazy. You've already tossed Sony out of the competition, so you're not going to earn any 'bragging rights' no matter what you buy. At least when the mirror sticks in your Toshiba they'll know how to fix it... :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hey VinDSL

Thanks for the awesome post again :-) Just a quick question regaurding DLP tv's. Would there be any other DLP tv's on your mind that I should consider looking into? Anything around the range 50-54"

another responce would be great !!

Darren

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
VinDSL,

you around?

Darren

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Yeah, I'm around, but I don't know what else I can add to this discussion...

I told you I like Sony Grand Wega's. I told you the reason[s] why. I think I told you that's what I have, and why I bought it - and why I didn't buy a generic Motorola DLP whatever TV. My opinion hasn't changed in the last 4-5 posts.

You've dispatched my suggestion[s] with a belch, and said LCD is off the table. So, what more can I say?

Given the choice between JVC's latest razzamatazz technology and DLP, which is your stated quandry, I would choose DLP - and that's what I suggested. Which one you choose doesn't make any difference. The 'engine' is the same. All you are deciding on is an enclosure. If you don't have any pride, go for a Sammy. Otherwise, open up your pocketbook and buy a Toshiba, or something that passes itself off as a nice piece of high-tech furniture - the "Captain Kirk on a pedestal" TV alluded to earlier..

If you're looking for social reinforcement, listen to the other guy - the one with the 30-year DLP TV, guaranteed. I'm just calling it the way I see it. Take your pick... :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
lol Vin

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
:-)

Anonymous

LCD is a proven workhorse technology and recreates the in-theater experience better than any other technology w/o the spinning color wheel risk of DLP

The Sony rear projection LCD is an excellent all purpose choice for those w/o rooms suitable for handling the mega-screen sized new generation 720p front projection LCD's

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 160
an lcd will be unwatchable in a few years, where
did you get that info ? mines a year old and still
looks new.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Right here!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1558%2C1049289%2C00.asp?kc=ETNKT0209KTX1 K0100361

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
ya that article LCD vs. DLP is good ... seems all LCD's around 4,000 hours begin to fade

Anonymous

only thing fading after 4000 hours is DLP users vision, after that headache-inducing/eyestrain- producing color wheel degrades their eyesight so much they can barely see a barn door

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
only thing fading after 4000 hours is DLP users vision, after that headache-inducing/eyestrain- producing color wheel degrades their eyesight so much they can barely see a barn door

You read the article? It's a known fact that LCD will fade around 4000 hours. You can even see it in LCD laptops, a $5,000.00 laptop loses color within a few years ... I dunno .. I think JVC D-ILA is the way to go personally

Anonymous

The article proves nothing except as Texas Instruments admitted "the results were not statistically representative of a large population of LCD and DLP projectors" nor were the actual conditions realistic

Epson themselves having sold LCD based units for 10 yrs indicates no negative dealer-feedback in regards to this issue by commerical users.

Many of us have been using LCD monitors via computers putting high time on them for years, and few report any problems

T.I got the results they wanted and the lab got the results they knew T.I wanted - hardly surprising.

The reality is there probably is some degradation issue on LCD's that becomes apparent over X years. CRT's also had fade problems over the years and Plasmas certainly have fade and serious burn-in issues

However the issue is cost/benefit. Personally I believe large screen pure LCD HDTV are way too expensive for the size you get, and in any rapidly changing technology environment its always better to buy at the bottom of the cost curve, not the top

LCD (rear and front) projection today is a flat out bargain, and can be purchased for 2000 to 3000 dollars, even lower for some 42 inch sets, and even if you assume the worst,(i.e massive fade at 4000 hrs)
its really all irrelevant, because equivalent replacement 2 to 3 yrs away will probably be around 500 to 1000 dollars, if not much less

Note a decade back when they sold computers they used to mention the term "upgradeable". Today its all throw away technology and the computers keep getting better but they are hardly worth upgrading. They were not designed to last forever, but when they work they tend to work well for 3 to 5 yrs and their replacements tend to be better and cheaper

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
"I think JVC D-ILA is the way to go personally."

Great! You've made a decision!

JVC's affordable subset of LCOS technology is the "way to go". Let us know how it works... :-)

Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 2
I am purchasing a Sony KDF-42WE655 or KDF-50WE655 this Spring and I have seen side-by-side comparisons with a Samsung DLP at Circuit City. The Sony LCD image is vastly superior to DLPs that I have seen thus far. The Sony HD picture is crystal clear with colors that seem very natural. I have read about Sony and other LCD rear projection sets not being able to produce black as well as DLP units and this may be true but the overall Sony picture is a lot better. Whenever I see a DLP, the colors seem muddy, too deep and not as sharp as the Sony WEGA LCD models.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Yep! Couldn't have said it better myself!

LoL! I actually stood in front of a Sony GW and Sammy DLP at CC for an hour (watched an entire show), doing a side-by-side comparison. My feet were screaming by the time I was done! However, it allowed me to come to the same conclusion[s] as you.

Heh! That poor salesman thought he had a fish on the line. I didn't tell him I already owned a GW... :-)

Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 3
LOL! Let 'em keep the DLPs. Yes, the DLP picture is clearer than non-HD sets but still has that projection "look". The Grand Wega KDF-42WE655 mentioned above seemed three dimensional by comparision.

Anonymous

LCD is the BEST, and no eyestrain either
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us