Archive through March 24, 2005Kdog044100
Archive through January 28, 2005Mr. Lynch100
Archive through December 11, 2004Maurice Litty100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 199
Joe,

I'm not having the issue with my 62HMX94. Does your receiver have any settings to adjust for the lag?

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_mann

MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 25
No Kdog it does not. It is an older model Teac (Dolby Pro Logic). I know, I Know, I should upgrade. But, I love that amp. Lots of power and heat sinks. Rip the windows out if you let it. What I have is the RCA jacks from audio out on back of SB directly to VCR1 input on amp (shouldn't matter where goes). I did have jacks going directly from audio out on the back of the TV but the sound was a little "odd" and the problem still ocurred. Now again, when using the TV speakers, no apparent problem. But, when you turn on the TV, turn off the TV speakers, and fire up the amp, I start noticing video delays (aka. the video lags behind the audio), but not all the time. Confusing the heck outta me. Again, I keep hearing about upscaling, etc. Right now I have the satellite box set at 1080i. Maybe I should set that at the natural resolution of the tv, which I believe Kdog is 720p or 720i.., not sure which one. Any help Kdog would be great on this. I do not believe it is the fault of the TV whatsoever..., and I really hate to scrap my dinosaur of an amp/receiver.

tylr drdn
Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a 46HM95. I knew that that my upconversion dvd player and xbox with HD component cables would look great, which they deffinately do. I had expected that my DirectTV TiVo box wouldnt look as good, but would be still acceptable. This brand new DirectTV TiVo box does not have any component out, it only has co-ax, rca, and s-video. I tried the s-video using a monster cable s-video cable, thinking that it would be the best, but it is very dissapointing. Im not expecting HD, but at least something acceptable. Is there anything I can do to make my regular tv through my DirectTV TiVo box look better? Any certain settings, on either the TV and/or the DirectTV TiVo box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
Joe,

I have an older Sony receiver STR-DE935 and have no issue with audio lag. I don't believe it has anything to do with the resolution setting as my STB is set for 1080i as well (720p is the native resolution of the TV. Perhaps there is a problem with the satellite box.

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 27
Kdog,

Good point. I was thinking about that last night. But, there is no lag between the tv speakers and tv video..., only when using the reciever to provide audio is there a very noticeable lag. I guess it might be worth a call to the satellite provider and see if they can bring another box by to see if that may be the issue. If you can think of anyhting else in your travels, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 29
Kdog,

I guess it could be. But why no lag with TV speakers. Only an issue when receiver is providing sound.., and it is very noticeable!!!. What is funny is that both the receiver and the tv are recieiving the exact same signal from the same SB. The only difference is component cables connect the TV and the SB. Whereas, the receiver is connected to the SB via 'el cheapo RCA jacks. Hmmm, maybe that is it. What do you think?

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 30
Here is the latest and greatest on my video/audio lag. Apparently it is a problem that is becoming to run rampant with anyone who owns a LCD, Plasma, DLP, or other digital TV. The "massaging" of the video signal to attain the pristine PQ results in a delayed video "release". Since the audio is not massaged, you get the resultant "lip sync error". Do a google search on this and you will see. Apparently I need to live with it unless I want to purchase a lag corrector (www.lipfix.com) at about $250 shipped.

Alexander Kim
Unregistered guest
Dick Wood,

I am using an Xbox 360 on my 46hm94, and it's awesome. My only complaint is that I have to turn on "Game Mode" in the TV's menu settings every time I want to use it (to remove lag). Couldn't they have made an auto-on function for the Game Mode for certain inputs?

Anyway, I'm not sure how comparable my set is to the 62HM15, but I'm guessing since they're both Toshiba DLPs it should work fine.

There is nothing like playing PGR3 in high-def with digital surround sound. Awesome!

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 31
I have the custom stand for my 52HMX94. Can anyone tell me why a custom stand would be designed so that you have to remove the TV from the stand to replace the bulb!?!? Geez, whoever designed the stand definatley suffered from a brain flatulence (they won't let me say f@$&t).

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
Joe, when you say you have the "custom stand" are you talking about the one designed for the set by Toshiba? If so, something is definitely wrong with how you have the TV sitting on it. I just had to replace my lamp on my 62HMX94 and you definitely do not have to move the TV in any way off the stand to replace it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
Joe, I have to disagree about the lag being a problem with the technology as I don't have the problem. My Motorola 6412 DVR is connected via DVI>HDMI and optical output to my receiver and I experience no lag.

Jonseacliff
Unregistered guest
My ten year old Hitachi 50" CRT projection TV is still working well (with not even a single service visit needed) but I am being seduced by the crystal clear images I see on DLP screens in stores from time to time. I have read the horror stories about lamp and color wheel failures etc and am getting cold feet. My question is: What percentage of DLP TVs experience premature (say whithin two years of purchase) problems? If it's 1%, I'll take my chances, but if it's 10% or more I'll keep what I have until it finally dies. I have both DirecTV and Charter cable plus DVD, PC, diital still and movie cameras that I like to play with but otherwise I'm just an average TV viewer. I don't even have TiVo yet. Input, anyone?

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
I also want to correct a statement indicating replacement lamps are only warranted for 90 days. According to the warranty that came with my replacement lamp they are warranted for "180 days" or double what was previously posted in another thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
Jonseacliff,

I don't think you will be able to determine percentages from reading the forum. Most people don't even bother posting in forums and the ones that do are usually to report a problem or failure. My lamp failed at just under 3000 hours and nine months but with two kids the TV is on quite a bit. Fortunately, Toshiba is one of the few manufacturers that warrants the lamp for a year and the replacements are warranted for six months. I love the PQ on my TV and even if I had to replace the lamp every year at $200 it's still worth it to me. I pay over $120 a month for cable and internet so it's all relative to what you think is worthwhile.

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 32
Kdog,

I guess I will have to look into the stand issue. Really, when I received the stand, which I assembled, there was no other way to assemble it according to the directions. Kind of a one way only setup. Now I am perplexed Kdog. :\

The lag issue has me wondering now. My receiver does not have optical input (mid late 80's receiver). My DVD player is a Toshiba connected to the TV/receiver via component cables. The sat box is connected to the TV via component cables as well. No HDMI connections used at all. When I google searched the "lip sync error", it was all over the place. Not sure what to do now. help!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
Joe,

Why do you say you need to remove the TV from the stand? Doesn't the door have enough room to clear the stand? The screw should be able to be loosened by hand and if not, and allen wrench is all you need to loosen it. The lamp unit itself should clear the stand when removing it.

I would post an image of mine but my digital camera is being repaired.

As far as the lag I can only think it may have to do with the analog audio connections as I don't have a problem with my digital audio connections. You really need to think about upgrading the receiver if it doesn't have any digital audio inputs (i.e. coax/optical).

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 33
Kdog,

I wish I could provide a picture. I will try and explain it. The small ear shaped tab pointing towards the front of the TV that the screw is in is behind a portion of the stand. You may be able to loosen the screw, but because the tab is behind the stand I believe I cannot swing the door open as the door appears that it should swing out and towards the back of the TV. I believe the lamp will clear, but it is the issue with the door that I am not clear about.

As far as the lag goes. I have recently discovered that it also happens sometimes when just using the TV speakers and not the receiver and external speakers. In fact, a couple of nights ago I was watching the Billboard awards and the lag was soo bad I had to turn the channel as I couldn't stand it. However, last night on TNTHD I was watching Lord of the Rings, and it was fine..., no lag. It certainly has me scratching my head. I will try and get a picture of the door/stand issue and upload here in the next couple of days.

Thanks Kdog

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Joe,

I measured mine it and I have 5 3/8" from the door to the end of the stand which is sufficient for the door to clear the stand. If you have less than that I can only think that perhaps your stand is not the correct one for your model (for example,a 52" stand and a 62" TV or 46" stand with a 52" TV).

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 34
Kdog,

Yep, your right. The sons a b@!%ches sold me the wrong stand nearly a year ago. It is apparently for a 46, when mine is the 52hmx94. Well, I guess I'll just live with it for now as I don't feel like tearing everything apart to change the stand. Funny though, the TV fits PERFECT on the stand, if it weren't for the bulb changing issue you would never know the difference. I should see if they owe me a little money back if there is a difference in cost between the ST5284 and the ST5294.

Thanks again,

Username: Kodiak

Post Number: 1
Kdog,
I remember you from the AVSforum. I believe we bought our DLP's about the same time. I bought my 52hm94 on 2/05.
My bulb just blew up also. Toshiba told me Monday that they got a shipment in and put me in the order and I should get it in 4 working days. I called them today (because I hadnt heard anything) and big surprise they went on back order thenext day and they dont know when I can expect an order. So I'm trying to get one locally. I had planned on buying an extra just not so soon.

I had a problem day 2 of owning the set. The light engine had to be replaced becuase the DMD chip kept overheating then shutting the system off. That was on backorder for 1 month (that ought to tell you something). The replacement engine didnt give me nearly as good a pic as the first one. Toshiba said too bad..its working. Oh well. I've also helped a few other folks with the same problem because the tech(s) at Tosh couldnt figure out the problem.

The Tosh has a great pic but I'll never buy another Tosh product again. And if the light engine goes out again I'll probably try and sell the unit and buy a Sony or Panasonic. Even though Tosh is coming out with a new Technologies 50" CRT TV next year.
Bottom line: I thing their CS is very courteous but TOSH is low end on quality and actual support.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Mike,

I still frequent the AVS Forum. I bought my 62HMX94 in mid March and my lamp went last Friday with just under 3000 hours. Toshiba couldn't give me a ship date so I ended up buying one from a local authorized service center by searching on Toshiba's web site in the support section. It cost me $200 but my TV was back working the same day. I called Toshiba back on Tuesday and they said they got some in and if I called back Wednesday evening they might have a tracking number. Sure enough it shipped 2nd Day FedEx on Tuesday and I got the replacement in yesterday.

I am going to use the Toshiba warranty replacement as a spare so I never have to wait that long to get my set working. The replacement and any lamp you purchase carries a 180 day warranty. I would recommend checking for a service facility in your area and purchasing one also so you are not waiting from Toshiba. Whenever they get some in you have a spare on hand. You do need to send the bad one back to Toshiba so hold on to your old one if you do find a replacement locally.

sittermary
Unregistered guest
For Alexander Kim: I just read your post(s) and see you have a 46hm94. We thought we had our minds made up to purchase one this weekend, but notice several posts mentioning "fan noise." What are your thoughts on that?

Post Number: 2
Kdog,
That's funny. We have the same lamp. I called them on Monday and was told they would ship one to me with 2nd day FedEx. Well I have to make a little adjustment to my Bottom Line statement: The CS is as low end as their product. I guess its a hit or miss as to how incompetent their service is going to be.

I will be calling them again...every day maybe twice a day until my lamp comes in. Meanwhile after this weekend I'll try and find one local.

Thanks Kdog for the info.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Mike, I believe all of the HM/HMX 84 and 94 series use the same lamp. This was changed with the 95 series when they went to the 150 watt ones.

Personally, I'm not happy with the early failure of the lamp but do not regret my purchase. I have owned Toshiba products in the past (CRT TV's and DVD players) and don't regret any of the decisions and would look at buying Toshiba in the future.

Post Number: 3
Kdog,
I hear ya. We all have our experiences with products - good and bad and we make our purchases on those experiences and sometimes with a little "word of mouth" experiences of others.

I guess I'll have a spare lamp. The problem with a spare is it sits there and wastes its warranty time. I dont mind waiting a week for a part if I get the warranty time...especially an inherently weak/defective part. I just dont appreciate the run around and backorder on every broken part. Maybe toshiba will adjust its owners manual to reflect 2000-3500 hours instead of 6000 hours. Maybe someone will start making a cheaper replacement seeing how the Lamp is in such demand.

Maybe I'll be able to sell this TV (with its spare lamp) to a Toshiba fan, and buy a Sony LCD. I figure if I can sell it for 1000, I will ony be out 1500 less a 8 months of watching the tv. I could get that back in four years of lamp (and other parts) replacement purchases.

Unregistered guest
sittermary,

The fan noise on my 46hm94 is not an issue for me. I'm assuming that the issue people have is that the fan runs while the set is actually off. While I do find it odd that it does this, the actual noise level is very low. I never really notice it, and I have the TV in a relatively small and quiet room.

Username: Qhplar

I bought this set from Costco a few months ago and the 360 looks awesome on it.

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 35
kdog,

Video/audio delay a thing of the past. Did a master reset on the satellite box and problem solved. Just thought you, or anyone else on the forum, may want to know for curiosity reasons.

Regards,

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
Joe,

Glad to hear it. I didn't think it was your TV. ;)

Username: Rooster

Can anyone tell me what the difference if any between the Toshiba 62HM15 and the 62HM15A? Costco sells the "a" model
Thanks,

DrewVW
Unregistered guest
N lewis,
I am not 100% on this but I think they are the exact same.

Dave WI
Unregistered guest
This was touched on above, but in the manual it says do not hook this (62HM15) up to a PC, but something tells me this is talking about the HDMI inputs, any idea is it's OK if only using the S-Video? Would it know the difference that the signal is coming from a laptop S-Video vs a VCR or DVD player? Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Dave,

It only mentions that so you don't call Toshiba for support on connecting to a PC. There are many owners who use it as a monitor but don't expect Toshiba to help you.

jhustla
Unregistered guest
toshiba dlp 52HMX94

the green led is on (solid) and the red led blinks. i made sure the lamp unit door is on securely. why is this happening?

marcusserius
Unregistered guest
Hi all,
I am eyeing the 62hm15A at Bj's warehouse. At $3k with a stand, it seems to be the best deal at that size and quality. Best buy had it set up next to the 60" XBR, which is hardly fair. But the XBR is $2k more expensive and way out of my range. And the toshiba still looked pretty darn good. Unfortunately the sample video feed at Bj's is horrendous-- static, interference, noise, ghosting and all-- it is practically unwatchable. Whites are blown and blacks are inky. I spent a good half hour adjusting the settings and made a lot of improvement, but still nothing like what I would hope for at home.

I am looking for a little reassurance, I guess. I don't want to get it home and have it look bad. I'll never hear the end of it from my wife. We'll be watching 75% cable (HDTV DVR with HDMI) and 25% dvds. She is happy with our 36" Toshiba CRT (HD capable). I want the big screen so I can get just a little of that "theater" experience, as we don't get out to the movies much.

I am also planning to get the avia dvd to calibrate the picture-- will that help? Is this the best buy at this price?

Thanks
Marcus

Username: Toshed

Marcus,
We just picked up a 62MX195 2 weeks ago. I don't know if there's a difference between ours and yours as far as picture quality goes but I can tell you that the HD channels and dvd's look unbelievable.
My problems are stemming from cable card vs. firmware/software issues. Toshiba's going to send me an upgrade to download but they are currently waiting for a shipment as they are out of the "SD" cards containing the needed upgrade.

ig
Unregistered guest
Just bought a Toshiba 46HM95 recently. On two occasions, the screen has gone blank with the sound continuing to run. The first time was with a DVD playing. To fix, I had to unplug the AC to the television and then turn it back on. The second time was while watching cable. Had to change the channel and the picture came back. Has anybody had this problem, and if so, how to prevent it from happening again?

Meeper
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,

I came across this thread rather accidently while looking for information on how long I should expect my bulb to last.

To break with the tradition of typically only posting when you've experienced trouble, I thought I would mention my several month old 52HM95 is working perfectly. It's a fantastic set and I'm extremely happy with it!

Happy New Year :-)

Jon5001
Unregistered guest
Kdog044 (or others)

Does that mean than any connection from a PC/notebook will be safe to input to the TV (whether it be S-video or HDVI)? Just want to make sure that I can't somehow mess this up and ruin my new TV. I have the Toshiba 46HMX85.

Thanks

Username: Tpelio

I have a Toshiba 52hm84 DLP. It's 14 mos old and the bulb went. Is this common or do I have an argument with Toshiba. I of course did not opt for the extended warranty. (never needed one in the past)

John V
Unregistered guest
First, let me say that I am an engineer in the electronics industry (test - commercial, military and consumer ) and a long time Toshiba customer. I'm not afraid of technology and have been generally pleased with every Toshiba product to date. Largely because of this history, I recently purchased a 62HM15 DLP TV as an improvement over a Toshiba CRT in my home theater... (admitedly, an impulse purchase as I hadn't done any extensive research into reliabilty, just picture quality.)

At first, I was quite disappointed with the set and had to call Toshiba 3 times to resolve issues (not covered in the manual). None of the issues (save 1) were adequatly addressed by the phone calls, although the reps were courteous and provided names for local warranty support. I called the local shop only to be scared off by an apparent lack of communciation skills, technical merit and familiarity with this specific set.

I ended up figuring out most of the issues myself but in the course of my research, I feel compelled NOT to keep this set largely due to the abundant reliabilty complaints, support concerns and Toshiba's performance in addressing my issues. What a shame as I have other Toshiba products that have served me well and the picture from this set is now quite impressive (given the right broadcast and setup).

I understand "forum mentality" and that "problem" posts far outweigh statistical averages however, lamp availability (or lack thereof) and cost (per hour of useage) seems poor at best and abysmal at worst. I can certainly afford the set, replacement lamps or extended service but I don't feel thats the point. I find it unacceptable for perishable items, such as a lamp - or tires for a car, to represent such a high percentage of the overall system costs - especially when the entire life of the item is not guaranteed and its replacements availability is questionable.

I don't believe most consumers are adequatly informed about the "costs of ownership" (monetary or down time) in addition to the initial capital outlay (which in itself is quite large). I also believe it is a mistake to reward manufactures with continued demand for products that fall short of reasonable expectations of reliabilty, service, support or replacement parts. This provides little motive for improvement and in my view invites continued poor product performance since profits are bolstered by demand, not value.

No question the technology is impressive and should be pursued but if we as consumers don't send the right messages, consumer electronics will soon hit the market like software - underdeveloped, bug ridden and in need of updates out of the box AFTER they have our money and we have little bargaining power. Is that what we want?

LPLSS
Unregistered guest
Here's a good site for resources on Toshiba tv's as well as other brands. Product sheets etc.
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Toshiba-62HM15.htm
N Lewis I think the A might mean it comes with the stand. Here's a link to Toshiba's site, it may help.http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=62hm15
Marcuss you might want to checkitout also.
The 62HM15 is an older model but spec's out better than the 62HM95 & closer to the 62HMx95 but w/o PC input. Detailed spec's are extensive.

Post Number: 4
Thomas P.
You may just want to contact Tosh and plead your case. They tend to be very reasonable.

G Marshall
Unregistered guest
When I turn off my 62HM95 the green lights blink for about 3-5 minutes. Anyone know whether this is normal. Nothing in the manual addresses this. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 152
Green Lights=Good.
Red Lights=Bad
The Green lights most likely signify that although the screen is dark the TV is still technically on as it goes through a cool down cycle. If you put your ear up to it you will likely hear a fan humming in there during those three- five minutes and then stopping. It is common with DLP sets.

jav1
Unregistered guest
G Marshal,

Yes, its normal. Your right- its not in the manual. The green light blinks in 1 second intervals at shutdwon to indicate you are in the "rapid restart mode". You can turn that mode off via the setup menu.

G Marshall
Unregistered guest
Thanks - thats very helpful/comforting.

Username: Toshed

Back to the drawing board

"My problems are stemming from cable card vs. firmware/software issues. Toshiba's going to send me an upgrade to download but they are currently waiting for a shipment as they are out of the "SD" cards containing the needed upgrade."

I received today(finally)and downloaded it with no problems. EXCEPT that it did not resolve any of the issues the cablecard is creating. Here are the quirky thing going on when cablecard is in;

1. No TVGOS info at all...reads "no data"
2. No channel info outside of number of channel
and signal (480i, 720p, 1080i, etc)
3. Regardless of wether I use the remote or TV
controls there is a 0 to 6 second delay for
any/all functions.
4. Ant 1 (cablecard) is "greyed" out and can't
be accessed to run set up on.

As soon as I have the time to donate I will be back on the phone with Toshiba, who will inturn tell me to contact comcast. Maybe they will try a different cablecard. My set is MX195, anyone else experienced this??????

woody33
Unregistered guest
Marcus
I was looking at the same two TVs for several weeks and did the same thing you did. Looked at BestBuys TVs and then saw a better deal at BJs. I have had the 62HM15A since a week before Thanksgiving with no problems at all and purchased it from BJs. The picture quality is fantastic on HD, DVDs, and even XBox. No complaints at all and with the stand included for less that BestBuy or Toshiba was selling without the stand, it was well worth it.

ferris209
Unregistered guest
I am in a dillema here. I just bought a Panasonic 60" pt-60lcx64 from costco and so far, i like it. But I just found out that COstco will have the 62hm15 on sale at the end of the month for $300 off, so in the end I could take back my current panasonic, put $300 with it, and walk out with the 62hm15 that has 2" bigger screen and DLP, my question to you all is. Is it worth it, will the DLP really make that big a difference?

Username: Jc_los_angeles

John V:
I agree with your stance about not wanting to pay so much to keep a TV, no matter how good the TV picture is. Can you imagine after spending more than $2000 on a Toshiba 52HM95 TV, every two years or so you have to dish out another $400 (Average cost of the replacement lamp for what Toshiba called the "150-watt Radiance Lamp" used in all 2005 Toshiba dlp TVs). I wonder why would Toshiba want change to using these high wattage lamps that would make it so costly to own a Toshiba DLP TV? I agree that Toshiba DLP TVs have the best picture quality amongst all major brands of DLP TVs, such as Samsung, Sony or even Mitsubishi. But cost of the replacement lamps for other major brands runs in the neighorhood of $200 if you purchase it on-line. Toshiba's older models such as 52HM84 or HMX models are as good as the new models in terms of the picture quality and features, yet the cost of the replacement lamps would be only about $200. I want to ask the Toshiba people: why change to such a high-cost lamp? Also I wonder if the lamps are interchangeable between the old (such as 52HM84) and the newer (such as 52HM95 or 56HM195)models? Right now, I have been held back from getting a Toshiba because of the high cost of maintaining the TV. Can someone answer the question? Thanks.

Anonymous

f209:

Stick with the Pana, the Toshiba isn't a demonstrably better set. Plus, if we all keep putting retailers/wholesalers in the p00per with returns it will thwart us all in the end. The Pana has a great picture and fast refreshes, both are great TV's, the extra 2" doesn't seem worth the hassle or $$$'s.

Unregistered guest
I have a 62hm15a & dish811 hd sat rx. the dvi-hdmi, s-video & coax connections all work. The component video o/p from the 811 to either of the 2 tv comp i/ps doesn't work. no picture. had the 811 replaced. same problem. toshiba dvd player comp o/p works though. any thoughts?

Douglas T
Unregistered guest
Yesterday the lamp on my 62HMX84 failed. It was 14 months old. I had thought it would last many years. Anyway, I did have a spare lamp and replaced it today so everything is working. I hope this lamp lasts more than 14 months.

Also, Kdog044, I couldn't ever get your instructions on determining how many hours the lamp was on to work. Are you sure they were correct?

N.R.H
Unregistered guest
I have a 56hm195 bought in October 2005. Bulb went out January 2006, not even 3 months. No bulbs to be found. Contacted Toshiba they said they have 20,000 bulbs on order. Sometime in February they will receive them. Asked them why I got only a few hours when the book says 6000 to 8000 hours. They told me the new sets were sent out with demonstration bulbs, what line of BULL is this? He said that is why they have a 1 year warranty. I think when you pay $3200.00 for a DLP it should come with a real bulb instead of a demonstration bulb. And as far as (FYI) goes, when you spend this kind of money why the heck should you have to have a spare on hand, and why would you even think you would need a spare? Toshiba better come up with a better solution for bulbs or there will be some class action lawsuits.

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
Douglas T, the instructions for checking lamp life are correct as I have validated it on my set. Here they are again.Step 5 is the only part different on the 2005's.

For the 2004 models:

With TV turned on:

1. Press "mute" on the remote - 1/2 mute appears on the screen
2. Press "mute" on the remote again - mute appears on the screen
3. Press "mute" on the remote and hold the mute button -
4. Press the "Menu" button on the TV's front panel. "S" will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.
5. Press the "Menu" button a second time and the "S" will disappear. On the left side of the screen you will see "RCUT" followed by two numbers.
You are now in the service mode.
6. Press "9" on the remote and you will access the diagnostics page. In the right hand corner is the lamp time in hours.
7. Press "power" button on remote to exit the menu and power off the TV.

CAUTION: Do not use the up and down volume keys on the remote in this menu as it can alter the data and can be dangerous.

For the 2005 models:

With TV turned on:

1. Press "mute" on the remote - 1/2 mute appears on the screen
2. Press "mute" on the remote again - mute appears on the screen
3. Press "mute" on the remote and hold the mute button -
4. Press the "Menu" button on the TV's front panel. "S" will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.
5. Press the "Menu" button on the remote and the "S" will disappear. On the left side of the screen you will see "RCUT" followed by RCUT
ADDR DATA BINARY
224DH 00H 00000000B.
You are now in the service mode.
6. Press "9" on the remote and you will access the diagnostics page. In the right hand corner is the lamp time in hours.
7. Press "power" button on remote to exit the menu and power off the TV.

CAUTION: Do not use the up and down volume keys on the remote in this menu as it can alter the data and can be dangerous.

Anonymous

hey,
bought a toshiba 52" dlp and i think the friggin lamp blew me. i get no picture but i do sound and the green light blinks ten times (red light constant) then the powers off then on again and it keeps repeating.

is this the lamp or something else??

Bronze Member

AUBURN, MICHIGAN USA

Post Number: 36
The lamp blew ya..., I wouldn't be complaining.

Unregistered guest
I have a toshiba 62hm95 dlp witch will not turn on. it apparently is flashing a code 3 flashes of the red power light 1 long flash of the green timer rec light then repeat.can any one help !!

Unregistered guest
I have a toshiba 62hm95 dlp witch will not turn on. it apparently is flashing a code 3 flashes of the red power light 1 long flash of the green timer rec light then repeat.can any one help !!

Anonymous

To everyone who has concerns for getting moneys worth on these expensive tv sets....buy at Costco. Shud tv fail within an unreasonably period simply take it back. Make it clear that you dont spend KKK for something that does not give you years of enjoyment. Shud Costco change its policy on returns instead of pulling a certain model off its shelves then they lose business. I suggest Costco becuz they offer a lifetime warranty at no extra cost...how can you beat that.. thats just amazingly trustworthy customer service ..just dont get greedy and abuse thier generosity. Ive been shopping for a brand for months now and will eventually buy at Costco so I dont have to deal with alot of the problems Im reading. Shud I get a lemon, back to the store I go to try another brand/manufactor and it wont cost me a thing as Im a regular. Costco appears to want our business as evident by its no question asked return policy, let them muscle with the makers on reliability and quality issues as they have alot more bargaining power and if you are a costco member then shudnt you make that power yours....Besides if you do the math and calculate what costco makes in annual membership to get your business you wont feel at all guilty. I walk into a Costco confident Im getting the best deal for my money and I walk out, go home, and even return things sometimes convinced. I dont think Costco wud sell just anything and offer a 100% return policy. Heres the bottom line, where else in America can you at least be assured of getting your moneys worth or getting your money back righfully. Costco!

Costco
Unregistered guest
This message brought to you by Costco. Where 'Merica shops.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevea

Post Number: 12
I agree with buying at Costco; or Best buy or Sears or from anybody who offers a 30 day (or more) no-hassle return or trade for another unit. I decided to "save" a couple hundred bucks by buying my 52HM84 thru a "reputable" online discounter; when my new TV refused to work, right out of the box, there I was, swingin' in the wind; the dealer was no help at all (totally hands-off-it's Toshiba's problem now) and Tosh CS was just about useless. Things got fixed, the TV works fine now and I love it, but my next widescreen purchase (coming soon!) is thru responsible retailers who stands behind what they sell.

Anonymous

the tv's do not ship with demo lamps. they can be affected by temperature changes or an inconsistent power source that won't allow the fans to properly cool them (like plugging the power supply into the back of a cable box), or a manufacturing defect. so, as long as you have good ventilation, nothing is wrong with tv, and the power is connected to a power supply, the only problem with the lamp would be a manufacturer's defect.

bylee
Unregistered guest
I bought a 52HM95 Toshiba about 3 months ago.
A great picture, WHEN I can keep the cableCARD from resetting. Have been trying to get the attention of Toshiba's cablecard "expert" for two months now, but no help yet.
Also, some distortion of colors in darker pictures. Any suggestions on adjusting settings to help with this?

Username: Viiofix

New Haven, CT New Haven

Post Number: 8
No sure where you are but if your Cable Company is in the Comcast District, you van call them at
800 266-2278 Go through the prompts for trouble with your service. Once you get in to a live person, ask if they are HD Trained. If not, they will transfer the call to one of their agents that are. I sent an email to Toshiba and got a reply within that day. Also, on the Manual is Toshiba's Tech Support Number which was helpful.

** Important **

Find out if your Cable Card has Two-Way Communication capability. If not, you will nopt be able to access some of your Cable Company's additional features with the card. Why are you not using HDMI Cable? Just as good as the Card ..

Username: Viiofix

New Haven, CT New Haven

Post Number: 9
Most of these POST are from last year and I'm not sure if you're still checking but I have a new 72MX195-DLP (RP) and I love it. You know there is a big issue with the Bulb but you have a few options here. The Extended Warranty will cover the bulb and if you think you are getting close to the end of your warranty time, then order a new bulb just incase. Also, do a Googke for the bulb, I believe you can find some from China at a very low price offered on Ebay.

Use HDMI instead of DVI - Component - Cable Card if you have access. I'm not as up on the Tech Specs as some people here are but logic tells me that good things are coming down the road which may be mapped to HDMI through its' additional bandwidth capabilities and you'll already have the hardware when it comes.

Mine is set at 1080i - 720p which is probably all I'm going to get from it right now. Try to guess where I'm going to be SuperBowl Sunday ?

bylee
Unregistered guest
Thanks Caro Ken:
I have Adelphia cable and they have sent out techs 4 times. Only doing the basics, like testing signal strength, cables etc.
I feel Adelphia is not up to speed with cablecard yet.
Overall, I love the TV and really don't blame Toshiba for the problems, but it has been about 2 months that I have been trying to get their cablecard "experts" to reach me for at least some advise, and they keep telling me that I'm in line for help, but still nothing.
For now, I will be attacking Adelphia again and insist on a real cablecard tech for help.

Username: Dlp_owner

All Toshiba owners with lamp failure take note: My 52HMX85 lamp failed after a couple of months 400+ hours. They did cover the replacement under warranty but also sent a service tech to do it.

Turns out the lamp failures are known to Toshiba due to a software issue controlling the bulb temperature. Mine was ver # 18, which had to be changed to # 19. The bulb has to operate within a specific range: too high or too low and it will fail prematurely.

He also said that Toshiba now recommended the high lamp setting for longer life. To find your software version and hours of use, see the thread on 18 Jan 06. Careful not to change it.

So before you justify bulbs as a necessary evil for the joy of good TV, you might want to ask why there is no recall or grace period on these bulbs and why doesn't Toshiba send out someone to upgade your software too. At least in my case they did do it right but it should be posted on Toshibas FAQs and included in the cost of bulb replacement if your 1 yr warranty has expired.

P.S. I enjoy the Toshiba TV so hope they keep us customers happy.

Oh one more thing I noticed in this tread on the Stand. It is true that the TV had to be lifted slightly for the lamp drawer to be pulled out, at least with the 52" model. The service guy took off the wing on the right side so that it wouldn't be damaged.

I don't like having problems but when they do occur it's great when you get someone who knows what there doing.

Bubbabear
Unregistered guest
byle check with toshiba they have a extreme firmware upgrade for the cablecard on the 52hm95 i just recieved mine yesterday and man it resolved lots of issues. new firmware version is 1.31 comes on a camera type memory disk installs in less than 5 minutes. stick in it runs no user intervinsion needed

Username: Econ99

I bought a refurbished Toshiba 46HM84 DLP television last month. Right out of the box, here's what it does: After being on for 1-2 hours, the lamp turns off while I still get sound. I turn it off, then turn it back on. The TV restarts 2-4 times until the the lamp turns back on.

The repairman thought the lamp was defective and replaced it. That did not solve the problem and their technicians are looking into it. I noticed that if quick restart is on, I have to unplug the TV, but with it off, I can just use the power button on the remote.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Scott

Swaybar
Unregistered guest
Me:"Can you send me one?"
T:"We have to have your receipt"
Me:"Faxed it 2 hours ago"
T:"Oh, the 3rd shift people sort through the faxes, call tomorrow after 2PM and we'll tell you if we go it"
Me:"Hmmmm...well are the lamps in stock?"
T:"Let me check....no"
Me:"When will they be?"
T:"I don't really know, sometimes we get big shipments, they come in at odd times"
Me:"Well who makes them? Are they in short supply?"
T:"I don't know...call back in a few days and I'll give you more info."
Me:"This isn't satisfactory...when can I get a lamp"
T:"Well I can give you a rough estimate...say 7-10 business days."

I just had the same conversation 3 days ago..TV 10 months old Lamp failure...Friday -NO Lamp Looks like no TV for the Week-end!

Unregistered guest
I bought a Toshiba 72mx195 a month ago and I have to use it as a monitor because after 3 cable cards and 2 software upgrades the digital tuner has poor or no signal although the cable box works great and the analog tuner works great. Toshiba does not have a clue. The picture using the cable box using hdmi is incredeble however.

Unregistered guest
Toshiba HD DLP projection TV's.
Lamp replacement.
I have had my 52HM94 for 13 months now and it's been great until Wednesday when the lamp burnt out. I ordered a new one from ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/TigerBulbs) it arrived Friday afternoon. (cost me $245.00 including next day shipping, rather a lot but what the hell).
The lamp installation was easy and the TV was up an working within minutes, picture brighter than ever.
Saturday afternoon it stopped working again, lamp seems fine (ie not exploded) but it gives same error (red and green LEDs flashing simultaneously) called Toshiba they gave me the local service reps number and now I'm worried so I google and find this thread. Now I'm even more worried. Do I need a lamp ballast? Do I need a software revision? I don't know but I do know that the service technician will have me by the "short and curlies" and I'll have to pony up a couple of hundred bucks to get it fixed.
I'd be interested in any comments and if you're reading this in a couple of weeks I'll be happy to answer an email if I get resolution to the problem.

P.S.
I wouldn't recommend keeping a spare bulb handy, what happens if you put the lamp in 6 months after you buy it and it doesn't work, it'll already be out of guarantee. You'd be better off buying a spare tv for $240 and living without your mega screen for 48 hours.

Steve Dart

For my TV the lamp flashes were explained near the back of the Manual and they work like computer beep codes. Different beeps for different problems. The service guys said 2 things while he was here that might help. If the lamp replacement door was opened it has like a tamper safety so check that the lamp tray and door are fully in place and closed. Also if your fingers touch the inside of the bulb the oils from our hands can cause the bulb to fail when it heats up. Good Luck

Unregistered guest
DN
Thanks for you posting. I found out about the door when I installed the replacement and I haven't touched the lamp with my fingers.
Just got off the phone with the local technician he said it may be a faulty lamp and to try another one before looking into the lamp ballast. I had already contacted the lamp supplier and am awaiting a response.

Username: Dlp_dude

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Purhased a Toshiba 62HMX85 DLP television after months of research and forgot one thing... I forgot to research the customer service of the product. IT SUCKS!!! I would NEVER buy another Toshiba product ever!! After only two months, my bulb blew. It will take Toshiba almost two weeks to process the order and send me a new bulb. The bulb is supposed to be rated for 8000 hours. I requested the bulb be sent overnight to no avail.
They just don't care about "their" customers. BEWARE!!!!

Username: Rgobantes3

Fort Washington, Maryland USA

I bought the Toshiba 52HM95 from Best Buy early February. After almost two months, Comcast in the DC area finally figured out how to get the cable card working. The TV Guide was not loading even it says it will be available in 24 hours. I talked to Toshiba and they told me I need to update to system software 1.3.1 (March 2006 version). The memory card came and I updated the software early this week. Now things are worse. The TV does not recognize the channels (MTV, FOXTV, etc - HD or not) and the TV Guide does not work with or without the cable card. It just says "There is no data for this screen." Before the 1.3.1 update the TV Guide was working with basic cable. Any ideas how to get the TV Guide up and running? Toshiba says someone from TV Guide will call me. Its been a couple of days and no one has called me. I was wondering if someone had a similar problem and solved it.

Also Toshiba is now extending lamp warranty on select DLP TVs. Mine qualifies and I think the website said 2 year warranty on the lamp. You enter your serial number and it will let you know if your TV is qualified.

Username: Drewvw

Sad to say add me to the bulb failure list.

Had my 62hm95 for four months. Maybe 500 hours worth. I had my setting on low power. Lot of good that did. Bulb popped the other day. They are sending a new one.

The tech said nothing of checking software version or anything.

Should I check my firmware? Should I set mode to high bright or low power?

Thanks.

Username: Magredc5

Southern New Hampshire

Rick:

I have a Toshiba 62MX195 and have the same problem with 1.3.1 s/w causing TVGOS not to work. I don't have any of the channel recognition issues though.

For the TVGOS, mine was working flawlessly for 5 months with no problems, even after a s/w upgrade to 1.2.8 and a full factory reset. Now after upgrading to 1.3.1 (4 days ago), the clock will not even set, which is the first step for TVGOS to start populating. Several people on the AVS forum have reported the same issue and contacted Toshiba. I called them as well and asked for a call back from their TVGOS specialist Nate or Paul.

I have Comcast of NE and a Motorola CC.

Username: Bobmaher

I have a Toshiba 62HM95 and while watching NCAA Tourney, the picture is real jumpy and slows down. I noticed this on Monday Night Football and sports on CBS, ABC etc.When watched Hi Def on ESPN did not seem to have the problem. Is this a signal problem with Networks other than ESPN or TV problem? Bot tv in Aug 2005. Thanks for your help.

Username: Drewvw

Bob,
I'm no expert but I'd say if the tv looked fine on ESPN, it is probably your network service. I have Time warner cable and occasionally service isnt great.

Do you see pixelation (blocky)?

Username: Bobmaher

Thanks Drew for your response. I am not sure what you mean by blocky. I have a Motorola Dual tuner and I checked the user settings on it last night. I had the following:

Tv type 16:9
DVi /YPbPr output 1080i
4:3 override OFF (I changed this to 480P before the game)
I watched the NCAA and the picture was very good(not jerky as before). Could this have been my problem? Should I change the 4:3 override to 480i? Thank you!!

Username: Rgobantes3

Fort Washington, Maryland USA

MagredC5:

Comcast of DC area came and installed another cc to my other TV (RCA). They said TVGOS will not work on any cc (obviously not true since yours worked for a while) but they say the channel labeling/recognition should work on my Toshiba. They don't know why it is not working. They think its the TV and I believe them because channel labeling/recognition works on the RCA. I'm interested to hear what Nate or Paul says. Please post it. Thanks!

Username: Yrrej1103

Add me to the list of blown bulbs. 52HM84. Purchased 12/04. Blew last night.(Actually shattered) Ordering (2) new bulbs on line while waiting from Toshiba on warranty info.
No idea of hours on the bulb, but most likely in the 4000-5000 range. Was going to order one before this happened, especially with a bright spot in the center of the screen during initial warm-up for the past week or so.

Username: Deepsky

Oh. My. Lord. Do we really want to trust ANY advice from Tosh tech support?!? Look at the email conversation I an *trying* to have with them...(I rearranged it so you can read from top to bottom).

Me: I have a couple of hopefully easy questions regarding our 62hm95 DLP.
It shows several times in the manual that you should not hook a
PC/Laptop into the TV, my assumption is that this means you cannot use
the monitor out port, but is it OK to connect a laptop to the unit via
an S-Video cable? Can this damage the unit?

My second question pertains to battery backups. We already have the
unit plugged into a surge protection and filter, but would it be a good
idea to also plug it into a battery backup (which would be plugged into
the surge protector/filter)? If so are there any minimum rewuirements
the battery backup should have?

Tosh Support:
Dear Customer,

Please email me back with the type of product line. If this is a TV,
Computer or just what type of Toshiba product.

Thank you,

Me:
No problem, this is a Toshiba 62HM95 62 in Rear-Projection DLP TV. Thanks!

Tosh Support: Again, I don't have model numbers. Please tell me if this is a TV, Computer, Satellite System or just what type of Toshiba product as to assist you.

Me: Am I missing something??? I just said in my last email it is a Rear Projection DLP TV.....It's a TV!!!

Username: Jam2003

FAN NOISE!!

I also have a 62HMX94, and can hear the fan, a loud humm.

Called a tech. and was told that the fan should sound like a computer fan, and not really noticeable from 20 feet away.

Is this normal??
Thanks In advance

Username: Kshavu

Dead tv!

I have a 51HM84, about 9 months old. Yesterday whil we were watching, it all of a sudden shut off. Reading alot about the problem with bulbs, but I don't know if this is the problem or not. We did not notice the picture quality deteriorating at all. Now when we try to turn it on, it just turns itself on and off a few times before shutting off for good.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?? Of course Toshiba's customer service isn't open on the weekend, not that I hold much hope in their being able to help us, after reading all these posts!!

Username: Co990

62HM84---Dead lamp

Well add me to the list for failed lamps. I've had mine for 1 year 3 weeks when it just turned off. I got the flashing LEDs. Read the manual, pulled the lamp, it had exploded.

I email toshiba asking what the deal is with these lamps. Their response was.

"Replacement parts are available from parts distributors. "

Not exactly what I was looking for. But after reading this string as well as many other reviews I know it's consistant.

I called in and they would not budge on replacing the lamp. I informed them that this is obviously a known issue as it's all over the net. He asked me for my serial number and then said that I was not in the 'extended' group. I told him that I'm having the same issue and he said that it is not the same issue. I told him that the issues is that lamps are lasting about 25% of their rating...so when mine fails in 1 year 3 week ... and someone elses fails in 9 months they are both failing prematurely. I just happened to be lucky enough that it actually lasted a year.

I asked him why bulbs that last less than 2000hrs are rated at 8000hrs. He said that they had issues with their manuafacturer.

I asked if I buy a new 8000hr lamp for $200-$300 if it'll last 1500-2000 hrs again. He assured me that they've switched manufactures and that if I buy a new one it will be good.

Also, I agree with the people that say that buying a spare bulb is crazy. If you only get a 90-180 day warranty on something and it has a reputation of failing early in life you want to use all the warranty time you can get.

It seems that I'm pretty much stuck with sucking it up at this point. Are there any other options? Anyone thinking of a class action? I think that it is ridiculous that they can knowingly pass on bad parts and expect the consumer to foot the bill.

An FYI for owners of slightly newer models (mine was built March 05). On Toshiba's site they have a page where you can put in your serial number and see if you eligible for the 2yr lamp extended warranty. Here's the models and the sn ranges

['46HM95',26300001,26323454],
['52HM95',25500001,25530961],
['52HMX95',26400001,26405035],
['56HM195',27800001,27807726],
['56MX195',28300003,28303667],
['62HM15A',29900001,29909118],
['62HM195',27900001,27902517],
['62HM95',26000001,26018100],
['62HMX95',26500001,26502911],
['62MX195',28400001,28403617],
['72HM195',28200001,28203203],
['72MX195',29500001,29502301]

Mine, unfortunately starts with a 208... so I'm SOL.

Post Number: 4
Just got a neat letter from Toshiba acknowledging problems with the bulbs on certain models. I have a 52HMX85 and have already had a replacement bulb under Warranty. If yours breaks keep up the fight so when they get enough complaints they're forced to act.

Username: Azmadhatter

Hey all.. just thought I would keep this thread going, if only to give comfort to the people in the same boat as I am.

I purchased my 62HM95 in November 2005. I planned to run everything through a high end receiver via Component (RGB) cables, so in a perfect world I would just use my Receiver remote to switch input devices, of which I have a few.

I have digital Cable through Cox here in Arizona and via a DVR Cable Box it outputs at a 1080i resolution. It works 100% of the time, whether running through my Receiver, or directly into the TV.

I have a VCR/DVD combo, stand-alone DVD player, and xBox which all output at 480i resolution. Regardless of whether I run them individually directly into the TV or via the Receiver the TV will "crash" anywhere from immediately to 10 minutes in (almost always immediately). What is a "crash" you ask? Sometimes the screen goes green with horizontal lines, but mostly the TV just turns off and attempts to restart itself (to no avail) three times. Its been a while since I looked it up, but I think the lights flash that it is a BULB problem... which those of you who have read the length of this forum have to laugh at. Sadly, I've confirmed this is the case regardless of input type (composite, component RGB, and S-Video).

A Toshiba authorized repair shop took the TV after getting the same thorough explanation, as well as an in person demonstration to two technicians. 2 weeks later I got the TV back (upstairs) hooked it up and was able to reproduce the problem within 2 minutes. They claimed to have replaced the HDMI module... which made no sense to me since that was the one input I hadn't confirmed one way or another.

Frustrated, and weeks before Christmas, confident in my unused and brand new HDMI module, I bought a HDMI DVD player which outputs at 480p (not 480i) and works. Of course I have to switch the input on the TV between HDMI and "Colorstream" (Component RGB) when switching between the Cable Box and DVD player and I simply must forego use of the xBox and VCR.

The repair shop informed me that they did in fact replace the wrong part and that the part I needed would need to be ordered. Wanting to accomodate me, they graciously offered to wait until the part arrived and then they would call me to arrange an appointment to pick the TV up and replace the correct part. The Super Bowl, laziness, and my own selfishness led to my refraining from arranging another appointment with the repair folks because, in all honestly, I didn't mind not having the kids play xBox on it. The HD channels worked great, as well as my HDMI (yes I did compare the picture to RGB and it is only slightly better if at all... and it could just be me wanting to believe its better) DVD player.

Then a new problem arose... every time I turned the TV off, the next time someone tried to turn it on it wouldn't. The only solution is to unplug it and then plug it back in, wait for the reboot light sequence and then turn it on. This is an issue 95% of the time.

When I finally called the repair place to arrange an appointment the original contact person I had been communicating with was no longer working there and the new person had no record of the part I needed still being there, nor what part it even was. Frustrated, I called another place and they sent a guy out. I explained everything again and demonstrated the problems to him. I was happy to hear that he would get in touch with Toshiba Tech (not the same folks we can call) and then give me a call. If it required another part he would make the switch at my house rather than have me help him carry the TV downstairs again. A month and a half later, after 8-10 follow up calls to get a status report they informed me that the only solution the Toshiba people had was the same the other shop already did and that I would have to contact the first shop again to proceed.

Guessing that the Toshiba people somehow figured the first shop DID replace the part the second part they got (whatever that mystery part may be), I decided to play along and get back in touch with the first shop. So I called the first shop again and spoke to the third "receptionist/secretary" since last November, explained the problem again, gave them my address again, spelled my name... AGAIN... They're going to call me.

To thoroughly cover my bases, I called Toshiba today and spoke to a very friendly rep about what steps might have to be taken should this shop be unable to fix the TV. You see, there is a punchline to my story. I purchased the TV from a place which instills confidence by its very name... DIGITAL1234.com of course! On their site they explain that in rare cases where a TV is not working upon delivery they ask that repair issues are taken up with the manufacturer and that if a return is necessary it is the customer's responsibility to cover shipping costs.

The Toshiba rep informed me that situations like mine are handled on a case by case basis.

To be continued...

Wish me luck folks... wish me luck.

Username: Tacticaltank

Count me on the list of LAMP FAILURES

I bought a toshiba (72HX195) 72" DLP on oct 05, yesterday the picture faded then no picture just sound and start rebooting itself.

I'm under warranty and i bought the extended warranty 4 years!, but it sucks not to have ur TV.

Toshiba says that the new lamp will last the advertise life 8000hrs but does it really?

Also I read in this thread that using the lamp on HIGH BRIGHT MODE is better due to the some temperature issue, is this true? the lamp is 150watts..

also how do i know how many hrs the lamp have for this model 72HX195 the instrunction on this thread is for a different model

Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Byron_leftwich

Post Number: 11
my 46' Toshiba purchased in January of 06' just went on as well. I was reading these boards hoping my TV would be different but my luck ran out yesterday when my bulb died. Luckily Toshiba realizes that they had a really bad manufactor of the bulbs and will replace it for free. How long does the replacement bulb take to come in the mail? They did tell me they are in stock...

Username: Zipn

I also had my bulb just go out on my 46" Toshiba DLP. 2,566 hours! Normal viewing habits, and almost all under low power mode (except for the last few weeks when I thought it was looking a little dim, and I put it in high-power mode).

I called last Thursday, it was just over 11 months old, so they sent me one and I got it the following Tuesday.

TV looks good again, but I am not happy with the bulb life.

SO where's the 6000 to 8000 hour life from these POS bulbs?

Username: Justicedeb

Newark, De Usa

we bought 62Hm15A from Costco 3/05 and it lasted until 12/05..bulb went. Took the tv back to costco and got another tv. March 30, 2006 we get a letter from Costco advising our tv was one of the models that Toshiba recognizes as having a problem with the lamp life. Sure enough less than a week later 4/06 the lamp blew. Toshiba sent another lamp and said the new one would last longer. What a joke!!! 6/24/06 lamp went again. I called Tosh to see if there was a problem with the tv itself and exactly how often I would be replacing lamps. No explanation from Tosh but a replacement bulb being sent again. We are now two tv's, and 3 bulbs later. Everytime the bulb goes it is a Sunday. Go figure...but I will not be buying any Tosh products in the future.

Username: Reginarh9500

Medford, Or Usa

We just bought a 62hm15a from Costco. For the two weeks we have had it, its been a real pleasure. We also got the HD package from Direct TV. Talk about eye candy !! WOW. No problems what ever, so far. Costco had the best price $1999.99 (why not $2000.00?) and that included the stand. Nice to know if I have a major problems, I can take it back to Costco, and let them deal with it. In reading this BB, I can see the major problems have been the bulbs. Heck, it is a projection bulb, and they do burn out. One bad manufacturing process, and you have complants up the the wazzo. hopefully that has been corrected. Time will tell.
It is only prudent to have a spare on hand. I tried to order one from Toshiba, but they were out. They refered me to another vender, "Anderws Electronics" in CA. Who do have them in stock.
Cost was $213.87 with shipping. 1-800-274-4666.
If the blub goes out Toshiba said it was still covered, for one year.

Username: Reginarh9500

Medford, Or Usa

Just a thoght... After the set has been on for awhile, I noticed how hot it was getting behind the TV (what with the TV on with a 150 watt projection lamp, in a very confined space, the surround sound sound system, DVD and Direct TV rec all on) I've been in electronics (computer service) for 40 years. HEAT is the killer of electronics !!! Also it would seem the 62HM15A does not have enough venting holes. I have put a 20" box fan behind the stand and this really helps dissapate the accumulated heat. Maybe this will extend the life of the bulb.

Username: Bubblishouz

Fresno, CA

I'm thinking about buying the 62HM15A from a repair shop on ebay for $1000. Is this a good deal and worth the hassel of having to deal with the bulb issue? There's no warrenty offered but seller says it's functionality and appearence are in excellent condition.

Username: Toshibadlpssuk

We bought a Toshiba 56HM66 on August 20th from "Best" Buy. The lamp lasted exactly 10 days! Must be a record! And we had signed up for their "high-end" Magnolia service for the system components!

Username: Wmcalister

Walnut creek, Ca USA

My company is the authorized Toshiba representative in the Sunnyvale area.

I have a limited number of the Toshiba 62 inch high-definition DLP units 62HM15A with the stand that we are liquidating. These are NEW out-of-box units, made in the USA and come with a 90 day warranty. We offer an extended warranty up to two years for an additional cost of $100 per year.

These units have the latest HDMI inputs, 480I, 720I, and 1080 resolution, TV guide programming built in, memory card inputs, incredible sound etc. This unit retails for $3300 but the cash price is only $1295. My company also takes Visa or Mastercard.

The units can be seen at 310 North Civic Dr in Walnut Creek. Call me before you stop by to ensure I am there.

Ask for William. I can be contacted at 408 234-3770.
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 832
This Toshiba is ok for an older 720P model. It has the HD2+ chip, which many folks preferred a few years ago. The lamps are not as lasting as the Phillips UHP lamps, though. There are about 20 open box models on ebay right now. The average selling price is around $600, but I've seen several go for as little as $399.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Toshiba+62HM15

Username: Yodedawg

I bought a Toshiba 46HM94 floor model from Best Buy for a very low price in April 2006. After bringing it home, it would not come on. The diagnostics (per the LED pattern) indicated a lamp problem. The AV manager at BB was very professional and sorry for the problem and provided contacts to BB's local service shops. However, they were backlogged and could not respond for a week. Additionally, they would not provide me a lamp to change out myself, so I called Toshiba service. They were very helpful and responsive, sending out a replacement lamp overnight. I installed the new lamp the next day and !!wahlah!! the unit DID NOT COME ON indicating the same failure. The BB manager offered a full refund or credit towards a new similar HDTV since they were not going to receive any more 46HM95s. I opted to upsize to a new Toshiba 52HM94 (which the manager offered at cost) and have not had a bulb problem (knock on wood).

After reading about the problems that many have had with the radiance bulbs, I went to the Toshiba website and checked up on the model that I have. It appears that indeed a some units were manufactured with faulty bulbs and Toshiba has extended the warranty on these for an additional year.

I have included the link to the 52HM95 page which provides a means to check a serial number for a faulty bulb (my SN was clean...relief). You may have to navigate to the page for a different model to check the SN (not sure)....

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=52hm95

Click on the "Information for Owners of 2005 DLP Televisions "link under "Notices"...

It does happen in the course of manufacturing that quality spills happen. Despite the frustration and initial dis-satisfcation, the important thing for the consumer is how a company rectifies a known problem. From what I see, Toshiba is doing a good job at that.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my set, but am still a bit concerned about possible lamp problems.

Username: Gerkinman

Hyannis, Ma USA

Six monts experience with the Toshiba 62HM195.

I experienced tiling or pixelating of my picture from the first day I plugged it in. I thought the problem was with my cable service, but after 5 visits by the cable company and one tv service call, I discovered that I just needed a firmware upgrade. Toshiba sent me a smart digital card with the firmware upgrade version 1.3.1. Problem solved. A new problem then started.
The TV guide feature that had worked, stopped working after the firmware upgrade. I contacted Toshiba and they investigated the problem. They investigated for a month. I was contacted by the tv guide specialist and he guided me through some diagnostic maneuvers and concluded that I needed another firmware upgrade. Version 1.3.2.
I installed the new firmware and problem solved.
The TV guide feature now works again.
In the mean time, the lamp blew. First, I noticed that the picture became dim. I increased the brightness but then I heard a loud crack. That was the bulb exploding. That happened after 3 months of light usage. Toshiba sent me a new one and I installed it without difficulty. No TV for a week though while I waited for the new one to arrive.
There is one other annoying thing with my tv. When changing channels, there is a 3-4 second delay before the channel actually changes. This makes channel surfing VERY slow. Is's a minor inconvenience, but worth noting. I hope a future firmware upgrade will address this phenomenom.
I am very happy with the picture in High Definition. HOWEVER, I have never owned a TV that operates with such unreliability and therefore I would hesitate to recommend to my friends to buy the Toshiba TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us