Are Bose speakers ( acoustimass systems) worth the money?

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through February 12, 2006DexterLV100
Archive through October 17, 2005Paul S100
Archive through February 28, 2005Jayb100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Username: Screenx

Colombo/Melbourne, Western/Vict... Sri Lanka/ A...

Post Number: 1
Hi DexterLV,

what's the continuouse power output of your reciever?

Unregistered guest
150 watts per channel.

Post Number: 2
Hi DexterLV,

Check your mail buddy ;)

cheers!
ScreenX

Anonymous

Guys, need some advise. Moving into an apartment where i am planning to put in a new audio for living room 18' x 14'. what should i go in for? am considering JBL 3 way 15" floor standing speakers with a Yamaha AX 497. does this work?

Unregistered guest
Guys, need some advise. Moving into an apartment where i am planning to put in a new audio for living room 18' x 14'. What should i go in for? Am considering JBL 3 way 15" floor standing speakers with a Yamaha AX 497. Does this work?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5699
That will work...no problem.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny. I was wondering since these are full range speakers whether I would need a powered sub woofer or not. I listen to a fair amount of symphonic music where the deep bass of the sub woofer may help. Or would it be an overkill?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5719
You should be fine. The 15" JBLs can crank out a decent amount of bass on its own.

Have you listened to this set up at all?

Post Number: 3
Prodeep,

How much power can your 15" JBLs handle? RMS x 8Ohms? Coz since u'r Yamaha AX497 only pumps 85W RMS p/c x 8 Ohms, if the speakers are too powerful, u might not reach the best part of the lower frequencies.

U have to drive the speakers at realistic levels to reproduce deep bass (Wink wink).

Cheers!
SreenX

Post Number: 4
Prodeep,

How much power can your 15" JBLs handle? RMS x 8Ohms? Coz since u'r Yamaha AX497 only pumps 85W RMS p/c x 8 Ohms, if the speakers are too powerful, u might not reach the best part of the lower frequencies.

U have to drive the speakers at realistic levels to reproduce deep bass (Wink wink).

Cheers!
ScreenX

Gold Member

Post Number: 5730
Speakers do not have power nor do they have watts. What do you mean by speakers being "too powerful"?

Post Number: 5
Berny,

Sorry for confusing you with the words "Too powerful"

what I mean is, if the nominal output of his 15" JBL speakers are 200W RMS 8 Ohms each, there is no way that he's gonna drive them properly with a 85W p/c amplifier.

You can't light up a 12Volt bulb with a 5Volt battery to it's best luminance. Same theory (Wink wink)

Cheers!
ScreenX

Gold Member

Post Number: 5733
No problem Harshan, but can you see where I might get confused here?

What do you think would drive the speakers properly? Which amplifier do you suggest and how many watts? Let us take for example a Sony model STR-DE898, do you think that it would be enough to power this 200watt JBL?

You are using the wrong analogy here and using a 12v bulb is not the same as speaker requirements.

You said, as an exampleSpeakers do not have output. If that were so, this would mean that it can generate its own power, would it not? Let us say that the speaker is rated at 200 watts, what that means is that it can handle an output from an amplifier as high as 200 watts. It does not mean that it is pushing out 200 watts of power, it is merely handling it. The speaker will however need a "nominal" power output from a source to driven efficiently. And that is what it is about...efficiency not watts. (Wink wink)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5734
oooops, clicked too fast.

I was asking about your statement with speakers as an example "nominal output of his 15" JBL speakers are 200w RMS 8 Ohms each." Speakers do not have output. Or do you insist that they do? (Wink wink)

Post Number: 6
Berny,

U've confused me, and i think I'll remain confused for a while.

But I'm sure whoever read it will understand what I'm trying to say. Don't think too much (Wink)

Another thing, speakers do have an output. U feed it a sound signal and it produces sound. If youre not sure, check the back label of your speaker. I'm sure it says something like "Nominal input : 150Watts 8ohms" and "Peak output : 400W" blah blah blah.

Cheers!
ScreenX

Gold Member

Post Number: 5769
Yes, you do that. Maybe you should put some thought into what you write.(Wink)

Still they do not have any output...the good ones say "Power Handling".

Then there's "Max Amp Power", "Min Amp Power".

Check out Klipsch, Sonus Faber, Athena, Bowers & Wilkins, RBH, Paradigm's signature series indicates"Suitable Amplifier Power Range" and "Maximum Input Power",
even the famous white van speakers indicate "Power Handling"

Some do indicate "Nominal Input", but none of them (the ones I mentioned)indicate "Peak Output".blah blah blah

Gold Member

Post Number: 5799
Well, did you check the back label of your speakers yet? Still confused? (wink wink)

Then there's Martin Logan who also indicates "Power Handling". Magnepan discusses the required power of the amplifier needed to drive their speakers and the impedance tolerances, but not once have they discussed how much output their speakers have.

Their output is the result of the power they are being fed. It is not measured in watts as I have stated prior...and is a common saying around this forum, "Speakers don't got watts!"

Now, then, have you looked at the back label of your speaker? I'd like to know the type of speakers you have...these speakers that has a "Peak Output". (wink wink)

Cheers

Post Number: 7
Berny,

Well, I'm using my dads 30year old Celestion DL8 for sterio listening and have Klipsch, B&W & BOSE in my home-theatre system.

I agree with u Berny. It's "power handling" in the good ones (Wink).

I also have some cheap stuff like National & Samsung. And as I mentioned earlier they mention of a peak output (In the back label of the speakers). Care to tell me what they are on about?

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5801
Harshan,

I do care to tell you what they are on about, but are you willing to listen or will you still insist that "speakers got watts"?

What they are on about is the amount of output they can handle from an amplifier. Are you telling me then that statement of yours comes from the back of a speaker label? I was thinking that you actually have background information on these speaker outputs that you were so adamant in making a stand about.

National and Samsung??? These speakers are stand alone products or are they attached to an existing stereo? (Not what I would call a great speaker manufacturer) Because if they are attached to the stereo, more than likey it will be written as power output. But that is merely a reference to the whole unit's output. A clever marketing ploy to confuse the uninitiated (wink wink). Look at what its done to you...you were actually thinking that speakers have watts.(Wink)

Remember, you are in a forum where there are plenty of knowledgeable folks with plenty of experience under their belt. Making statements that you just did is not very smart and you are bound to get challenged. If the information you are trying to impart to one of our newer members come from the back of a speaker label, you have to do better.

But your input is appreciated and welcome to the forum.

How do you like the Bose in contrast to the Klipsch and B&W?
Cheers

Cheers

Post Number: 9
Berny,

As I mentioned before, I agree with u. Speakers have power handling and recomended amp power. It's output is the result of a fed input from an Amplifier (Wink).

The National & Samsung speakers I have, must have surely come with a packaged sterio. But I only got the speakers from a sale and it's packeged sterio never made it there.

I'm willing to learn and I appreciate u correcting me.

As for Bose, I currently have the AM10 II in my room and wouldn't say it's a bad product. But it's not as magical as it claims to be for the asking price. Then I have the Bose 601 and quite pleased with it's performance.

Klipsch sounds great and it's got a very reasonable price tag. I have a pair of Klipsch RF5, one RC3 center speaker, a pair of RS7s for surround, and B&W ASW875 Sub. Extremely happy with the sound this system makes (Wink). But this setup has taken a load of space compared to the bose.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5818
Ahh...the sacrifices we make to achieve a pleasurable listening experience.(wink)

Bose works if space is a premium, I just do not expect too much out of them, that is why I don't waste money on it.

What are you using to drive your speakers?

Post Number: 10
In the living room, I've got a Onkyo A9755 driving the Bose 601 series IV & the old Celestion DL8.

In my bedroom I have a Yamaha - RXV2500 driving the AM10 II and I use it with my PC mostly for gaming, MP3s, and the occational DVD when I can't use the main theatre system (Wink). I wouldn't say that I've wasted my money though, coz it serves the purpose, looks good and it sounds greate for it's size in my room (14x18 feet).

For the home theatre, I'm using a Onkyo TX-NR1000 with the Klipsch front, center & Surround (RF5, RC3, & RS7) Speakers with a B&W active sub (ASW875).

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5852
As long as it serves your purpose and as long as you like it, who is to say it's not worth it. Just isn't my bag and I am sure there are plenty who like, if not, they will have been out of business a long time ago.

Enjoy!

Drewboy
Unregistered guest
I saw some mention of the Denon 3805 in this thread. Its a great reciever, I just wish I had waited a bit longer as its successor does HDMI switching. If someone is driving Bose speakers with it, its a travesty. I drive Paradigm Reference Studio 20's with it. In my time working in high end audio, I got to hear plently of speakers. I never understood why people thought they (Bose) sounded so good. But it was only those new to home theater, or complete amateurs who thought they were great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6004
Different ears different preferences. If they like the sound of Bose, who is to say they are wrong?

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 62
I was fortunate to have been given (for free) an HT system (big screen TV and Bose Acoustimass 6 system). At the time, I thought it was a great system.

But...now after becoming addicted to renting movies, my wife and I have come to realize that we are missing dialogue from the movies. After plenty of research, it appears the problem is the small size of the centre channel.

I need to get rid of them and replace with something else...it is no longer enjoyable watching movies.

drewboy
Unregistered guest
Berny, you're absolutely right. If they think Bose speakers sound good, I probably shouldn't introduce them (and their wallet) to the hobby the right way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6098
We have to wean them slowly away from Bose by encouraging them to listen to other speakers. You don't want them to be in shock when they start hearing things they missed. :-)

who posted this???
Unregistered guest
why do people care so much about other peoples speakers. I understand if you are a professional, but I'm not sure all of you are. I'm not, that's for sure. But as my opinion I like Bose. I own a few small multimedia products from them and they are all better than the other products from other companies that my friend's own. Even they say so. They, and I, don't like the prices too much but I am willing to sacrafice time and money for them. And if other people want to though that is fine. And I have one other question, if some people don't think bose is all that good, howcome in magazines, like Popular Mechanics, review them and say good things about them? The same thing goes on the Best Buy website. The only thing I can think of is for advertisement. And I know the very next post after this will say it is advertisement, especially if they don't like bose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6142
If you are happy with Bose...good for you.

That is all that matters, doesn't it?

Bruce S
Unregistered guest
Why don't some of the audio magazines test Bose speakers for frequency response and let the truth be known?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6215
They have to get permission from Bose to have that happen. Why should they? What kind of benefit will it gain? Will it help sell more units? Will it raise the perceived prestige of Bose?

If anything they will block any type of published/public testing. Trade secrets are something they can always protect so they don't have to allow anyone to test their speakes and expose things not worth mentioning.

Why should anyone care for that matter? All it would do is confirm or deny what everyone else is saying...then the mystery is over. What else is there after that?

drewboy
Unregistered guest
To "Who posted this???"

I did work in audio/video sales for a while, where I got to play with stuff every day when things were slow. We carried Bose, and I didn't like anything they sold. Why? Overpriced and overhyped. The people that bought Bose did so because they bought into the company's marketing and percieved prestige. The truth is, compared to any modular system I could have sold them, Bose sounded like sh*t. But the name got them in the door, so I can't complain about that so much I guess. Anyway, these people don't know good sound and don't care. I would speculate that most people who support bose are the same way. I am referring to Bose's lifestyle system and those overpriced clock radios they sell. Those are all marketing. The other stuff, I've never heard so I really can't say anything about those products. And when you cite magazine or website reviews, just be sure that they aren't being paid for advertising in the same magazine, or the the website is a retailer for the product. I believe Bose sued Consumer Reports a few years ago for a negative review. I don't know how that worked out, but it was what I was told when I worked in A/V.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 776
Here is a Wall Street Journal article from 10 years back validating the Bose suite that you are talking about.

http://www.signallake.com/innovation/BosePacksConcertAcousticsIntoHomeSpeakerSys tem123196.pdf

Martin_From_Dub
Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,
Will Bose lifestyle double cubes work with a standard amp or do they need to connect with a bose sub.

From A guy who knows "Not a Lot" :-)

Prodeep
Unregistered guest
Harshan and Berny,

Apologies for dropping out after the JBL 15" query. Have just re-surfaced, and yes, Berny, have listened to that set up JBL-Yamaha combo which sounded just fine in an audio shop w/o the sub woofer; but the cymbals in Eroica weren't as resonant as I have heard them otherwise. So tried them the other day with 2 floor standing Jamo's and I was amazed by their clarity. This time with a Denon though. The price of course, moves significantly northwards with this set up and dont have the time or effort to try any further combinatorial experiments.

By the way, Harshan, my limited acousical knowledge tells me that prescribed RMS power with the right impedance match does the trick. There is nothing like driving a speaker to saturation as in an amp; just that the power must be adequate to vibrate the air mass at resonant frequency with no harmonincs.

Regardless, help me sort out between JBL-Yamaha versus Jamo-Denon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6251
I would pick the Jamo over JBL, no matter the receiver. You have just described the Jamo's characteristics and it will do the same with Yamaha receiver.

Prodeep
Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny, you have resolved my deadlock. Shall dedicate the opening bars to you

jlb
Unregistered guest
WOW, some people are pretty passionate about speakers and sound systems, I just came here to see what I should use for my surround in my new house but can't figure it out from the posts.

Bose Sucks
Unregistered guest
I also have a pair of bose 701 speakers and all I have to say is they suck, I can't get rid of these things! They will not even sell for 500 bucks only 2 years old. Very dissapointed in Bose. Anyone interested in them e mail me. markman242@hotmail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 781
That wasn't much of an advertising bud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 782
JLB leave this post and go to the Speaker section. that's where there is conversation about real speakers.

Unregistered guest
I have a Pair of 901 Series VI speakers with equalizer. They sound absolutely terrible.

I have a pair of chinese made KLH speakers sitting next to them that cost me less than $200 a pair and they sound absolutely heavenly in comparison to the 901s. How is that possible? the KLHs use 10 oz magnets on the woofers, and the crossovers are put together with hot glue, yet the sound quality is great.

How could Bose have gotten away with this marketing scheme for 30+ years? I think "White Van" speakers might even sound better.

Jonathan Lee
Unregistered guest
Anyone who knows what music is will agree that the music does not follow a linear frequency response. If it did, it would not be music. Now, my reasoning for liking Bose products is simple. The music and television I listen to play on certain bands or frequencies. The human ear is sensitive to what, 20hz-20khz? or something close right? in your daily lives, what frequency ranges does a person listen to? I swear to god, I wouldn't listen to the radio if it played nothing but bass and cymbals! So, the way Bose products perform are to accent or emphasize sound that is pleasant to the human ear. Their goal is not to have a speaker that can represent every audible frequency, but rather reproduce something that is perceived good to the human ear. And you can go on all day about how the numbers from testing equipment show that the speakers suck... Sure, They do suck, but how does it sound? at least decent? I have had many types of speakers from many different brands. The build quality, the materials, and the numbers do not matter to me if what I hear sounds good. I have a set of bose 802 pa speakers that I recently bought. I had to get the foam surrounds replaced because A. they were 20 years old and rotted out, and B. Are cheap "made in China" paper cone speakers. But after $45 of ebay foam surrounds, were clear and loud as sh*t with no audible" distortion. The people I was DJing for don't know anything about speakers, but complemented about how good my small inconspicuos system sounded. I didn't buy Bose because of their name. I bought them because of the way they sound. Sure I could also go buy some bigass JBL PA speakers but then I'd also need a trailer and some ear plugs

Silver Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 133
Jonathan who mixes the music you listen to? Humans which is you why you want speakers with flat freq response. So that you actually hear what is intended, not remove things. The pleasant sound should already be there. You are just distorting what was intended after that.

Generally if you hear a system that costs somewhat near what bose costs it will blow the bose system away.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6337
Yes and any statement that starts with "Anyone who knows what music"...is totally infallible, so people who does not know what music is can just tune out. It certainly explains the reason why bose sounds so pleasant to the ear.

What are you trying to preach here Jonathan?

In your daily life who gives a crap about the frequency ranges to which a person would listen?

Find me someone who actually likes to listen to nothing but bass and cymbals and after that find me a radio station that plays only these. You can swear to any god all you want but there are no people like this unless it is in a ceremony like the taiko drums, chinese festivals, etc. This is not regular fare.

The speakers that most everyone else would love to listen to would be speakers that can reproduce sound that is pleasant to the human ears. Is this goal exclusive to Bose...would it be safe then to argue that all other speakers strive to cheat the listener out of a pleasant experience???

What audible frequency should they reproduce and how do you know which frequency is perceived good to the human ear? There are plenty of people that do not like the sound coming from Bose speakers. Are their ears somehow picking up the wrong frequencies???

How can something that suck be decent?

How can people who know nothing about speakers make an educated compliment about something they know nothing about? Is it logical for someone to claim "this is the best pie I ever ate!", if this person has never eaten any pie in their lives?

If you liked the sound of the 802 would you have paid retail for them brand new? Be careful with your answer for you are in a precarious situation here...if you say yes, people might then argue that you are lying to support your argument. If you say no, then you negate everything that you wrote.

Or at least tried to write...there are just too many logical flaws in your discourse which really do nothing to support your ambiguous claims.

Username: Lment

I don't belong to this forum but I want to make mention of something. I agree entirely with everyone's review on these speakers but - I want to make a point. I have the bose acoustimass 10 running from a pretty nice pioneer amp and I've personally noticed how they lack the dynamics of sound to compete against many other speakers systems. This never was their intent though. Bose has always been about using a small speaker to make a big and encompassing sound that is as close to life like as possible. And just like any manufacturer - you get into te higher end stuff and it gets better. My system provides for me when I am wathing a movie the most realistic reproduction that I have ever heard from a speakers system in comparible price ranges. It's not as dynamic but it's plenty big - especially with the acoustimass module. I know it's not the best but it lives up to every thing bose says it would and for that reason I say comparisons are a waste of time. If you feel cheated by bose you aren't listening to what they're saying. If you want dynamics buy jbl or whoever else. If you want something closer to realism, get bose.

On that token - I went to a wedding party where the dj used a three peice sound system. Two bose speakers and a sub. It was the best sound I have ever heard at a dance. I've heard the sound been beat by some other systems like mackie but the speakers are not cheaper, they are much more bulky and take a lot more room and also normally require more eq work. There is always better but for price versus size and sound - I'm going to say that bose is a perfectly pheasable choice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6347
I do like the Bose 802, I own a pair of the panaray system. It's the 901 and the Acoustimass that I do not like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
All who luv or hate BOSE speakers, read this if you have the time. (Especially those who hate the 901s, Wink)

http://www.epinions.com/content_4143423620

cheers!
Harshan

Silver Member

Post Number: 822
Yes good article. It could be accused of being very self congratulatory with statements such as "I love # 4 on my "Bose bashing" list as Bose 901 owners are perhaps the most elite group of audiophiles when approaching the reproduction of TRUE natural DEEP bass!", if it wasn't so long and verbose without still answering the most basic "bose bashing" claim that most people seem to be raising in this and many other forums: Bose is too expensive for what you get.

If people are happy for what they pay for the 901's more power to them. Still, the point of this thread was the accoustimass system. Most of what this article does to deflect from bose criticism still does not apply to the accoustimass.

DShaver
Unregistered guest
I read the above mentioned article and thought the author made some valid points.Also, I will try not to stray too far from the acoustimass thread. As I read some very pointed comments and opinions, I have to wonder from where all this expertise arises? Myself, I've played guitar for 40+ years, and have been a promoter of acoustic music for many years as well, helping bring music to the Rochester, NY area. After 100s of concerts and festivals etc., I think I have a fair idea of what an accurate reproduction of musical and vocal sound should be. And I know that it is seldom that soundpersons agree with each as to what constitutes the best presentation of the sound possibilities. There is a tremendous amount of subjectivity among talented audiophiles. After deciding to upgrade my speakers, I had considered a Bose system. My local wholesale club was featuring an AM15 system and was playing Allison Krause. I have listened to her music extensively, and really found the system lacking. It sounded only slightly better than my old Bose 201 speakers. I decided to purchase and try out a modestly priced set of Polk RM10s, and couldn't be more pleased. The room I have them set up in is about 12x18 with less than 8' ceiling. I doubt that I could do much better for less than $500.00. It certainly isn't recording studio quality, but the fiddle, guitars and amazing steel guitar on the A. Krause recordings for example sound awesome. I have thought about the poor sound quality of early recordings; scratchy cylinders and 78s, and yet people were overjoyed with the sound. I really think that we mentally filter the sound that we are listening to so that poorly reproduced sound can sound wonderful to us, especially when we think we know how it should sound. With Bose AM it seems to be a bit like the Emperor's Clothes; with all those satisfied customers and glowing advertisements how could it not be what it is presented to be; great sound, value and price? And then most buyers hear what they expect to hear. But if you are satisfied with what you have purchased and the price you have paid, then more power to you. I weigh in with those in this thread who state that, yes, the Bose AM systems are overpriced when compared to some of the high quality, modestly priced competition. One last thing: if you are setting up a system in a huge, cavernous space,i.e. vaulted ceilings, you better go big or you will be disappointed.

Matthme
Unregistered guest
I picked up some 401s for about 130 bucks. I think that for *that* price, I've been getting my money's worth. I also snagged some 6.2s for 50 or so and added a dome tweeter. I use these in a 5.1 set up on a yamaha amp along with a home-made center. I have to say that I really do like the 401s. Best speaker ever? No. Would I like to have gotten some B&W 601 or something like that? Of course! But for 130 smackers, I'm not complaining. The 401s are almost unique in the bose lineup in that they actaully have a tweeter and not a 3" paper disk spitting out a muddied high-end. I even bought some of the 401-style tweeters from a bose parts seller and added them to some 201s that I've had since about 1991. Those are now my PC speakers (on an AudioSource AMP One I picked up for 90 or so. Powerful little amp, that).

Anyway, I'm just saying that before they went all plastic, there were a few good bose floating around (601 Series 3 and the wooden 401s, for example. They've ruine both of those lines now). All i know is that bose must turn a monster profit with those plastic speakers with paper drivers. That has to cost next to nothing to produce...

Username: Lment

You know, I complete agree with a lot of the sensible arguments in this article. I am by no means an audiophile. I love music, I love speakers and all the works but my playing has always been in the "low-fi/mid-fi" ranges. You can obviously assume why I would purchase Bose. I made the mistake of purchasing speakers without proper listening and whatnot and I have to be honest, I was and am not amazed by my surround system. However, I still appreciate and enjoy the sound. I just expected more. From an unexperienced standpoint, I believe that, yes, the speakers are a good deal if you can find a good price on them and could use something small. However, it is also agreeable to say the sub could have been designed better and speakers could stand to be more dynamic.

Unregistered guest
I see there are plenty of lovers and haters of Bose. However, I have a technical question: I have a LifeStyle 5 headunit, just the unit, no cables no speakers or sub. Not even a radio remote. I'm looking to build a complete package, but dont know where to start, since not every Bose component is compatable. I hear Acoustimass 12 with RC-9 remote is what I need. Could anyone tell me the model numbers and any details as to at least know what i need to look for? Thanks!

Username: El_king

I think Bose surround speaks really suck. No highs, no lows, muddy mids, a total nightmare.
Although I have to agree that their outdoor/concert loudspeakers are good but not the best. Mackie outdoes them.

I Hate Bose and Yellowfang.Man, Yellowfang, you must be half insane to think that you could be saying this!

Bronze Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 98
im with john dought

any day and every day

any one who likes them doesent know what good sound is

Bronze Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 99
100 bucks for a speaker that costs them 50 cents to make

they would not be half bad if they cut the price, say 50,000 percent

Gold Member

Post Number: 6872
If they like Bose, just let them enjoy it. You know better so leave it a that. Don't waste your time trying to convince them otherwise.

Username: Big_lew

Bought harmon/kardon avr 140,added bose acoustimass 5 in rear,added bose 161 infront along w/bose center speaker. is this a good combo? im setting it up as i type. Big Lew

maybe i should put the acoutimass 5 in front? whose got answers out there? I already bought it! i want to achieve the best sound i can get.any intelligent home theater experts out there? HELLO!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6877
Do it in any way and configuration that you like and whatever you think sounds good.

still not getting the heavy bass out of this avr 140,my old kenwood kicked butt! maybe i need bigger or different receiver. any thoughts out there in stereo-ville?

N E ONE THINKS YELLOWFANG SUCKS????????

If I had a car with Bose (thankfully I don't) the first thing I'd do would be to chuck that piece of sh*t in the drain and try to fill up that gap with something aftermarket.

Post Number: 5
Edwin,edwin,edwin. What are you trying to get at?

Post Number: 6
Yellowfang. I bet any Mackie would play louder and better than your dear 101.
And oh yeah, when it's snowing, n e one could just wrap the speaker up in plastic trash bags.
You're just plain lame.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
MICHEAL GIZZI

Try putting the AM5 in front. Also make sure the AM Module is in a corner that has a solid wall (wink)

cheers!
Harshan

Gold Member

Post Number: 6899
John Dought,
Any reason why you are trying to pick a fight with a poster no longer here?

Post Number: 7
Sorry Berny. Is he dead yet?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6914
Who knows...probably faded into obscurity. Oh well. Be cool, dude:-)

Post Number: 8
You too.

Wow. has this place become dormant? There hasn't been any new message for days....

still no post.....

Username: Bmwverruckt19

Going back to the big debate as to whether or not Bose are good I would have to say that the bulk of the problems many of you are having is with the setup of Bose speakers. They are direct/reflecting speakers not 100% direct like the bookshelf/stereo speakers from other brands like Klipsch. So in order to get the perfect sound from them they must be positioned just right and the listener must be in the right area to hear them at their best. Bose don't strive to just be LOUD any manufacturer can do that. Compare the Bose 301's to the klipsch Synergy B-2. In terms of size they are about the same however the Bose peak wattage is only 150 while the Klipsch is 300. The Bose, if correctly positioned will blow your mind with a deep, right, well-balanced sound while the Klipsch will blow your ears out with their high wattage, high resonence tweeters and lack of fullness. In addition, for all of those "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose" people I would suggest looking at the Bose's frequency ranges and compare them to YOUR favorite speaker brand. I think you will be very dissappointed to see how much the Bose surpasses anything else in frequency response. Here is just one of the many many sites which you can find this information, http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__att294299--368464-,cat_id--11560000.html So yes, for the supposed "audiophiles" whom are ignorant about what makes a Bose, Bose, just throwing the speakers out in an incompatible room expecting perfect sound are making fools of themselves by dissing them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Do you believe that those speakers put out 10-120000hz freq response?

What the heck does the speaker ratings on wattage have to do with anything?

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 68
Ben
Agreed, bose are direct/reflecting speakers.
If I'm understanding you correctly I can get the proper sound out of bose if i have them set up correctly. Now my room isn't "ideal" so how could they ever be setup "properly"?

Not sure if you understand, but wattage has no relevance on how speakers sound.

I MIGHT believe that the frequency listed on the link that you passed on is really the frequency response of the speakers, however where is that information posted on the bose website? If that were the true frequency response then why isn't it listed on their website where it is more accessible by people interested in purchasing their speakers?

Why would a company not tell you enough information about their product so that you can properly compare it to other products. Every other speaker company lists: sensitivity, frequency response, and power handling. Thus allowing a consumer to look at specifications of 2 similarly priced pieces. It's true that the numbers do not tell the whole story, but it at least gives you a starting point. I have been on the bose site several times and I have yet to see any information listed by BOSE about their speakers specifications.

Would you buy a car from a company if on the sticker where it listed the components of the car it simply said "engine" as oppposed to seeing that it is a diesel or V8, V6, 4cyl ect.
What if it said estimated MPG highway/city = great/good instead of 32/26?

Frankly that gives me nothing to compare the vehicles to. I would assume that the company has produced a POS or is embarrassed about what it has produced and I would move on.
Only reason I can see for not posting specs. is because chances are pretty good that speaker will have same specs as one 1/2 the price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 878
I think that's part of the problem in that Bose would like you to think that they are able to achieve a miracle of science that is beyond anyone else and potentially beyond the laws of physics. It is not surprising for a guy (Bose) who is so ambitious he pulled his engineers aside to create desktop cold fusion, before finally conceding that they couldn't do it.

Username: Bmwverruckt19

Chris,
If you don't think your room isn't "ideal" then maybe Bose aren't for you: anyroom will work BUT you have to spend time setting them up UNLIKE direct speakers; that was my major point. As for the wattage part, I never said that it was directly related in how the speakers "sound" in terms of quality. I do know that there is a certain wattage "peak" meaning that after a certain wattage more does very little in adding Db. I said this to prove the point that the Bose are much better engineered IF the consumer knows what he/she is doing with the speakers. Because, a much fuller sound is achieved with an appropriate amount of power without gaining more sound with more and more power. Another thing dealing with the frequency response, no, Bose doesn't list those specifications, do they need to? No. It's not required. However, there are many electronic retailers whom do test their products to help sell them, mostly in upper-end stores. These places all test multiple product brands AND the results they find are highly similar to the ones posted on those manufacturers websites. Therefore, their results are more relevant and trustworthy than anything you have said about them. So to wrap this up, to each his own...you buy what YOU want... but don't try to degrade something like Bose because you might just be ignorant about what they actually are/do.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 69
I personally have never seen any bose in any high end store. As far for this statement I believe that your very wrong.

I do know that there is a certain wattage "peak" meaning that after a certain wattage more does very little in adding Db. ****correct*****

I said this to prove the point that the Bose are much better engineered IF the consumer knows what he/she is doing with the speakers. Because, a much fuller sound is achieved with an appropriate amount of power without gaining more sound with more and more power *****Wrong****

This sentance doens't make much sense I think u should clarify it. If its what I think your trying to say then your wrong. The amount of power required with Klipsch (since these were the first ones you used as an example). Due to their sensitivity they actually require very LITTLE power to get to loud volumes. I don't see the specs on bose stating that they have this same sensitivity (better or worse). So you need very little power to drive Klipsch speakers to a loud & full sound.

This doesn't make Klipsch better just because they have high sensitivity, but basically your argument has very little ground since there are no specs to compare to.

About the only thing i agree with you on is to "each his own...you buy what YOU want" HOWEVER i'd like to add go and audition or test drive more than just 1 speaker. Sample and find what you like don't just take someones word on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
So what your saying is you think that those speakers can come close to the 10 to 120000 response that they are listed at at that website you have there?

Reflecting speakers give you a "larger" sound, given that they are reflecting the sound off the walls to give the impression that the sound is coming from all around. The problem is that this is going to hurt clarity, and imaging. When putting a good audio room together you try to remove reflections, not add them.

You can like reflecting speakers and how they give you a larger sound than direct speakers, but these are usually bipolar speakers like definitive technology. Not a bunch of drivers pointed different directions.

Username: Elcheapo

I just got a pair of BOSE 201's for free, from a friend. Perhaps they will be better than my $5 full range drivers, firing out of coffee cans, stuffed with old t-shirts . . .

Username: Ascleanasitgets

KingstonCanada

There is nothing wrong with an acoustimass system if your 65 years or older or only watch movies otherwise for your money you could get away better sounding system

JBL N28II
JBL N26II
JBL EC25
VELODYNE DPS-10
HK AVR 135
Monster HTS3600 power Center
Samsung 32" LCD
100% CUSTOM HT PC(radeon 9600 pro, Creative Audigy 2, 600 GB HD space total)
About 2000 dollars in monster including the power center

Username: Hightechdan

I have a Bose Lifestyles 12 system that I am looking to upgrade because the Bose does not have sufficient inputs for my purposes. I like the sound and looks of the Bose and do not have the money to do upgrade everything at once. First, I want a new receiver and I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V2600. Later on, I will upgrade to better speakers.
Bose says that I cannot connect the satellites to anything but the lifestyle module. But they cannot really explain technically why I cannot connect them to any receiver directly. They also claim that with their accustimass system, I could connect it to any receiver. I cannot see any reason that I would not want low frequencies to be sent to the satellites , because they do not handle lows, but what if there is x-over control?(Does anyone know if they use separate satellites in their accustimass that in their lifestyles system or maybe they are telling me this so I don't get away as a customer?)
My question is as follows:
I am willing to forego the Bose bass module and use a different brand sub for the time being, but can I connect the Bose satellites (5 satellites)directly to the Yamaha receiver. I cannot understand why this could not be done, since the Yamaha receiver allows you choose different crossover setting for sub and speakers. I was thinking I can set the Yamaha speaker setup to "small" and pick a high crossover like 200.
Is there a way that I can still use the lifestyle sub? What signal do I feed into it? Would I be able to send the sub signal from the Yamaha?.
Please help me!

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 72
My uncle does what your thinking of doing. he uses an acoustimass system with a velodyne sub. He conncets the "bass module" to the receiver using the speaker wire connections (front, center, surround) and sets the speakers to large. he then connects the velodyne sub to the sub rca connection and uses the settings large + sub (or something like that). This is the only way you will be able to use the cubes. (at least that I know of).

You DO NOT want low frequency to go to the cubes they cannot handle it the "bass module" acts as the cross over and sends only hi frequencies to the sat's. The yamaha will not allow you to cross over as high as you would need to so that you do not damage the sat's.

Frankly you could do a lot better than bose, but I think you will need to run the "bass module" as well as an additional sub if you plan to use the sat's

Silver Member

Post Number: 916
Your problem is not the crossover, it is the resistance. I believe those lifestyles can handle something like 1.2 ohm and most receivers out there vary from about 4-8.

Username: Hightechdan

Stof: thanks for the quick response.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the resistance is a spec that is pretty much fixed. Lower impedance speakers draw more power from amps than high ones. I find it hard to believe that those speakers have such little impedance. The Yamaha is stable down to 1 ohm, but will pump over 200 watts at that impedance. So will the Bose be able to handle that? I can always wire a resistor in parallel to higher the impedance.

Chris:
I know I can do a lot better than Bose, but I already had the bose for a while and cannot afford to replace them till next year. I want a b new receiver first know that I can do what I want to do with the accustimass, but are the same satellites used in both the accustimass and the lifestyle system? Also, the Yamaha has an adjustable x-over between 40 and 400. Would this be sufficient to block allow the satellites to work properly?

Silver Member

Post Number: 918
Unfortunately Danny that's hard to tell. One reason that makes Bose such a cuss word around here is that they don't publish their specs so you can tell what can work with what and potentially salvage their product somewhere else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Seriously,....
No matter where you put them, they still sound horrible.

Username: Smiling_dan

I have a Yamaha RX-V1600 with Bose cubes attached directly to the speaker outputs. I'm not using the Bose woofer but rather a non-Bose sub-woofer. It works. Nothing is smoking.

That said, it doesn't sound very rich. The Bose'll probably end up in the basement.

Username: Blitz36

Toledo, Ohio United states

YOU KNOW YOU LIKE BIG MACS

Username: Blitz36

Toledo, Ohio United states

i just ordered the klh r5100 5.1 surround sound receiver, i read all the reviews on them not to good, i got it for 99.99 with a two yr extended
warranty,might need it has anyone else bought this item that had problems with it or anyone who has not had problems with it? thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7456
What really matters is if you like them. Personally I think they lack detail and reproduces sound like a clock radio...only bigger.

Why the extended warranty? I hope you did not pay for the extended warranty.

Username: Frodo

Bose sucks, i was suckered into buying one before and I am sure I am not alone. Marketing can turn an average lemming into complete fools I guess. Think Apple.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7478
Thinking Apple...what's the connection?

Apple marketing is what backs the product really. And probably good thought out of the whole solution of itunes, ipod, interface etc. But truly, there are products with better and more features but they dun sell like Apple.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7522
And your source would be? Or are you merely speculating? Really?

So Bose decides to design products to use with the iPod and use this immensely popular media to turn a profit. Of course, they are going to partner up, it is profitable, it is just good business sense, don't you think? Have you any idea how long Bose has been around even before Apple came into the scene?

I am not a big fan of Bose, but are you an authority on Bose's marketing plan or Apple for that matter? It is good that you see the connection, but making a blanket statement that Bose is popular because of Apple's backing is ridiculous.

Jesus,

I never said that Apple is backing Bose...

I am saying a product can be successful because of really good marketing, whether the product is really that fantastic or not is another matter.

So Apple and Bose have something in common, they both have good marketing strategy that worked for their line of products. BUT their product sells for a premium and for the same price, you usually can get something better with more features like Zen Vision:M in place of Ipod Video for example. Bose sells complete solution, that's what consumers like as well like Apple does.

I think you misunderstood... I am not harping on any connection between Apple or Bose. So before you go think up crazy conspiracy termilogy, chill out, think simpler, read simpler... Dun complicate simple messages.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7533
I was just asking a question Julian. Don't get all riled up and calling on Jesus.

You did write that "Apple marketing is what backs the product really"...what else could it mean? Back the product - simply means one is backng the other right. I think that was a simple enough translation.

Who was thinking of conspiracy? I was asking for your source about Apple marketing backing the product.

Nothing complicated about that question is it?

Dun get all huffed up. You've been on this forum, what...not even a month. Relax, you will learn that sometimes when you make blanket statements you will be asked pointed questions as to how you came up with such statements.

Dun take it personally:-)

Username: Parekhbhavin

Hey Guys, Need some serious help here. I just recently bought Bose AM10 (wish I had read this forum earlier) and I need a receiver for it. I came up with two :- Yamaha HTR5960 and Onkyo 603X. I'm not a hi-tech person to know much about the receivers, but want something that will give me good low and mid frequency to powerup the spkrs and passive woofer. Can anyone suggest either of these 2 or something better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7651
You can try to sell the Bose, you will still get a good return for it and use the money for a different set of speakers:-)

But in reality, any of the receivers you mentioned will be enough to drive the Acoustimass. So don't worry about it. However, you will not get any good low frequency from the Bose, no matter your receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 76
I am the neutral guy even though I BASH on most of the bose products. I was an avid fan and owner of bose in the old days when their speakers were dated.
Bose technology is OUTDATED. It was good in the 60's, 70's and 80's but never HIGH END! Even infinity, polk and JBL downgraded for the home. JBL is still awesome in the professional designs like ALTEC AND ELECTROVOICE.
I owned the bose 901's and 601's in the 80's and I enjoyed them ONLY because I had carver sonic holography and DBX expanders and ADC equalizers to tailor and tweak the sound.
My arguement here is like what berney said, as long as people enjoy their purchase!
Does any of you question why you so much for front seats in a concert, sporting event or purchasing a home, say in CALIFORNIA??? when you can go to arkansas and by a mansion for a 1 bedroom 300k condo! RIDICULOUS for most of us, but some seem don't mind? Same point!
A bose merchant told me that bose over charge by 800% of any product they sell. $5 to make, $40 they will charge, mostly for import/export costs and very effective marketing called BRAINWASHING.
SONY and others WERE guilty of the very thing BOSE does in past history or even present.
Other present companies are guilty too, cause
if you look at some of the receivers like PIONEER and PIONEER ELITE models...the same specifications and components, but the cosmetics are more refined in the elite series but some of the models are 3-5 times higher in price, but it's the same performance as the regular PIONEER receivers?

The bose acoustimass and lifestyle system, including the 3-2-1 is my biggest complaint and especially the internal COMPONENTS they use to manufacture their products. Paper drivers and cheap crossovers are outdated. I'd rather go to partsexpress and change all the internal parts to a bose speaker using kevlar, magnesium type drivers or special alloy like MAGICO uses, aircraft grade. bose might as well since they have AFTER BURNERS on the BOSE 901'S and 802's!
You can't justify the $4000 price tage of the new lifestyle system, when you get axiom, klegg and better, orb, mirage, ohm satellites, anthony gallos or go to audiogon and get used apogees, maggies, ess, ohms, vandersteens and the list goes on and make a hell of an HT system.
What I find amazing is that there are lots of audiophiles who upgrade to much larger systems and pretty much giving away their well taken care of used smaller systems which they spent tons on for a fraction of the price they spent and you can still get that under the lifestyle's insane $4k price tag. For a $4k, I can get an axiom ht or kef, and even a WOOFER(DOG)!

Even if you have bose or whatever you have, for you guys who want to improve your systems's performance and sound...
Try one or both combo at an inexpensive tweak.
www.dakiom.com either the cheaper and older HR-103 stabilizers or the newer HR-203 $99-$169
The acoustic research TDS-202 spatial enhancer does wonders with these both combined. 3d imaging and it's passive and will bring your speakers and amps alive! You can get them for $20 at ebay stores under sound processor and at amazon for around $40...old retail was $119, unless you have carver sunfire receivers or older carver preamps with sonic holography.
If you really want to juice whatever subwoofers you have, i recommend peavey kosmos, around $299
or BBE maximizers 362sw which are processors that give that extra UMPH to your bass extension.

If you have a marantz or kenwood receiver, you don't really need the acoustic research enhancer cause they already have the SRSLABS w.o.w processing or better known as CIRCLE SOUND.

I do highly recommend the dakioms in any HT setup even if you have bose or mainstream ht systems.

There's a speaker system for everybody, if you are a do it yourself person, there's HEATHKIT, SPEAKERLAB, PARTSEXPRESS and many others to build your own. If you can find an old howitzer 105 or 155mm tube, you can even turn that into a subwoofer, and make midrange and tweeters out of dud landminds. Not a bad idea, army/navy surplus audio! which one of you entrepreneurs are going to start that? You can always credit me later!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us