Archive through February 12, 2006

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6185

Yes, it's a shame people have no idea what music actually sounds like when its produced by musicians or amplifiers.

Username: Nammysu

Post Number: 9
I fell into their marketing tricks. I've heavy into sound sytems... home and car. I always knew Bose was NOT high end at all so never even experiemtned with them. So I have this small room that I have a small setup in... and I wanted something that saves space that sounds good (decent I should say). I would have gotten something like a B&O, but that's way out of the budget I had for this project. I picked up the Bose life style.... and I'm not immpressed at all. All my friends who know nothing about this thinks it sounds amazing!! But... it just doesn't do it for me. But I must say, it does look very nice with a touch of class.

Bronze Member
Username: Mango_joe

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 34
its worth the money if you got a good deal

Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 3
Quote "hy do some people insist on dissing Bose all the time? A dummy could of told you this, but if they were crap, the 901's wouldn't have been around for a whopping 37 years!"

-McDonalds has been around even longer but you won't catch me eating their food.

Bronze Member

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 45
i had a real surround system and sold it because you canot use it in an apartment unless you want the cops at your door everytime you turn it on thats why a bose 321 make sense its called not being a rude niehbor if i had one of you people with these big surround systems living next door to me you would get tired of me calling the cops on you and turning you into the apt. office for being to loud i think you would sell it or move thats why bose is better

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 57
Just ignore shamuchef, he is just trolling the forums trying to scam people into buying bose. The main reason you don't buy bose is sound quality, you don't need to turn your system up real loud, as you get good quality at all volumes if you don't use bose.

Bronze Member

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 48
yea im a bose sales man

Anonymous

Like to see BOSE Play with 10 Watts RMS
really .... PWK all the Way

Anonymous

Hell The BOSE 901s are Just "Midrange" They Ship
A Hi/Low Boost EQ, really.. PWK All the Way

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 18
The problem with Bose is exactly what has been said before: marketing.

There are better speakers for less money than Bose. That's the point. Cambridge Soundworks and Bang & Olufsen are examples of alternatives to Bose which are similar in some ways but sell for less money and may even have superior quality.

There are also some speakers that are designed for sound in such a way that style and cosmetics were a secondary consideration, if it were considered at all. Most people who shop for Bose are after something that looks nice and never even think about how it must sound since the marketing took care of the thinking for them.

Bose said that you don't need to have big equipment for big sound. Well, guess what, sometimes you actually do need that kind of equipment for big sound! You can only do so much with little things before you reach a limit where you may generate the frequencies, but not at the desired pressures. That, or you can generate the frequencies but not have a good balance.

Besides, having all those components along with flexibility and tweakability are half the fun in hi-fi! - Reinhart

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 239
Bose for Bozos.
New company moto(or old)

Username: Dartfrog

Post Number: 1
I bought the BOSE Lifestyle system about 5 years ago. Quality of the sound aside, (let's just say the honeymoon's over)-now mine needs repair but of course it's not in warranty. It won't play DVD's any more. Is there any place other than sending it to BOSE that I might be able to take it to?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
You can send the system to any reputable repair shop.

Your system may just need a good clean and lube job for the disc drive. But, just as likely, the system may require a replacement optical pickup. But, if it does need a pickup, it's more likely that Bose used an off-the-shelf disc drive from another manufacturer rather than designing their own disc drive. Matsushita (Panasonic), Sony, Sanyo, JVC, Pioneer, Samsung ... these brands may be possible sources for the replacement part as any one of them may have been the source for the disc drive used in your Bose system. - Reinhart

ScreenX
Unregistered guest
Just Upgraded my Old AM10II's into AM16! Alleluiya! Powered Sub is awesome! The air really moves :D I paired it again with the B&W Sub. Alleluiya x 2!! Pluged the old AM10II's in my 10' by 20' bedroom. Alleluiya!

TREV.P
Unregistered guest
BOSE AM5, I own them, and I'm not impressed.

I currently run a pair of B&W P5 at the front, B&W CCM centre, Technics active Sub and the BOSE AM5 accoustimas system for the rear surrounds, and they are very poor sounding, miles behind the B&W's. However I simply do not have the room for a normal rear speaker, so I was forced into buying the BOSE. I didn't want to just buy a pair of small sat speakers that don't have the band-pass unit for an improved range, as I wanted to attempt to keep the sound equal front and rear. Given the power of the other speakers, the inadequacy of them is masked, and they do help fill the room with sound when having a (loud) party, but that is all I would rate them for, additional surround.

A friend of mine uses all B&W speakers, and the sound is far superior to mine in all aspects. But he has the room for them, I don't.

Edwin in Dubai
Unregistered guest
Hi to all. I own a pair of Bose 701-II for the past 3 years and yes they do have limitations. I bought it for a little over USD1,000 in Dubai, mainly for the following reasons: 1) BOSE as a brand has the WOW factor for most people - it is a lifestyle brand, 2) BOSE speakers are "well-known" to be of high quality. I did achieve my first objective since all - and I mean ALL, guys and gals, whites and blacks, etc. - who come to my apartment always say "WOW, you've got BOSE speakers." You see, if you are into "lifestyle products", then BOSE is the brand of speakers you need. For my second objective, I sincerely believe I did not really achieve it. One classic example: I played a Maroon 5 CD and boy, I thought the instruments were clashing, as if they were in complete disarray. Every single instruments just seemed to be fighting for "air time" (I am using a DENON 2805, and a Phillips player). I played the CD into my 10-year old Sherwood hi-fi stereo system, and boom the Maroon 5 songs came out really good. (my BOSE speakers are in the living room for everyone to see while my Sherwood is my bedroom). Both BOSE speakers are positioned in the corners, following on the recommendations as stated in the manual, measured the distances and all. But still, I feel there is something missing. Anyway, I played a Grover Washington CD on the BOSE speakers, it was great! I played other instrumental CDs like Kenny G, they all sound great in BOSE. I played the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over DVD, it was great (the Eagles album was of course accoustic). But when I played a rock or a pop CD, then my Sherwood speakers can do better job. Forget about playing a Guns & Roses CD on a BOSE speakers. I also own an Audi A3 equipped with BOSE speakers and anyone who rides with me are always impressed with the sound simply because they know it is a BOSE system. Hence, buying a BOSE system is really a lifestyle choice. You do not buy BOSE because they are good but because of the brand. It is like buying a pair of jeans - will you buy a Levi's (USD40) or an Armani Jeans (USD200)? If you choose Levi's, you are more into functions of the product, and if you bought an Armani Jeans, you are someone who can easily fork out a few hundreds without worrying too much whether they are durable or not. For my home theatre system, I have a separate Infinity Primus HCS (4 sats at 100 watts per channel and a centre speaker) using a DENON 1905) and they are fantastic. Forget the BOSE Accoustimas or the BOSE Lifestyle. But then again, it is really your choice. You want the "WOW" factor? Go for BOSE. If you want performance, shop around.

Edwin in Dubai
Unregistered guest
I forgot to add: I bought the Bose 701-II just before they were discontinued. Imagine my shock when after a few months, I went to the Bose shop and saw the speakers being sold at reduced price (I think it was 40% less or something). When I asked the shop manager, he mentioned that they were discontinuing the line! I was just shocked. A discontinued line means that the product is not really good! Now I am the guy who owns a pair of discontinued product - not the guy who owns a cool pair of speakers. Anyone interested in buying a pair of Bose 701?

Unregistered guest
"No High's, No Low's....Dam! I must remember to remove my head from my butt before I listen to my music"
Try it before you listen to Bose & you won't have the above problem!

Unregistered guest
Edwin is a sucker! ha ha ha..... if what your saying is true, then, my friend..... you are a class A fool.

Username: Teleman

Post Number: 3
I had a sony 7.1 receiver set up and was never satisfied with the surround.I bought Bose acoustimas speakers with a Kenwood receiver and kenwood dvd player at BJ's and I'm not listening to you people who supposedly are audio experts anymore.This is the best sound with distinctive surround sound that I have ever heard.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
"I had a sony 7.1 receiver set up and was never satisfied with the surround.I bought Bose acoustimas speakers with a Kenwood receiver and kenwood dvd player at BJ's and I'm not listening to you people who supposedly are audio experts anymore.This is the best sound with distinctive surround sound that I have ever heard."

Well, if your Sony setup included Sony speakers driven by a Sony DE series receiver, then I'm surprised that you were surprised at the quality difference.

Basically for audio, anything currently from Sony that is not ES is usually suspect (with exception given to the DB series of receivers). New non-ES Sony should be considered only by those who wish to start off in the hobby (and even then, there are better choices).

If you are able to, try an Onkyo-Polk Audio combo or a Harman/Kardon-Infinity combo and see if you can say the same thing you've said about your Sony when compared to your Kenwood-Bose combo. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
Bravo Ray Brodeur.......... Some one that talks sense at last....

Unregistered guest
Bose ARE very exceptional speakers in every way. They are not 'world-beaters' but then again they are not so priced that you expect them to be the best in the world.

The quest for perfection is a very expensive road to travel down as well as being endless, and I can assure you by it's very nature, you will never be happy with your system should you take this route.

These forums are of very little use if all it's users are going to do is give Bose 'Down the banks' just because they took a company to court who 'Stole' their copywrite and some stupid know-it-all critic who done what most in this post are doing......... telling lies about Bose products! I think that was fair enough in my eyes.
For those who want honest, real, meaningfull assistance in what hi-fi to buy, go and AUDITION one's in your price range for yourself, then, and only then YOU choose.
It's got so bad on here that the only good advice to take is the above, and only a fool would consider half the things on here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
I always find it interesting that people hold bose in such high regard. Since basicly as soon as you hear real speakers. You will find that they are so much more realistic, detailed, and sound much fuller.

Once you AB bose vs a real system that isn't setup in a store bose no longer sounds good at all and you wonder why they can charge so much for it and people still buy it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Again.

The problem with Bose is that they are very expensive for what you get.

The main message is that there are better alternatives to Bose for less money. - Reinhart

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
"Bose ARE very exceptional speakers in every way. They are not 'world-beaters' but then again they are not so priced that you expect them to be the best in the world."

With the exception that Bose is exceptional, you're correct. But, Bose is still very expensive for what you get. Why go Bose when you can go Klipsch, Polk, B&W, NHT, or KEF?

"The quest for perfection is a very expensive road to travel down as well as being endless, and I can assure you by it's very nature, you will never be happy with your system should you take this route."

The quest for perfection in A/V is also futile. There is no such thing as perfection in this hobby. You either get it as best as you can and be content up until you need to upgrade or just keep throwing the money away at the "next big thing."

"For those who want honest, real, meaningfull assistance in what hi-fi to buy, go and AUDITION one's in your price range for yourself, then, and only then YOU choose."

That's always the best advice. - Reinhart

Silver Member
Username: Shantao

Homewood, IL USA

Post Number: 130
Hi Kip;

you said:
"The problem with Bose is that they are very expensive for what you get. The main message is that there are better alternatives to Bose for less money. "

Exactly. Hence my saying:
B etter
O ff (with)
S omething
E lse

You can do so much better for so much less. But, hey, it's not like it is my money, hahahahaha

Unregistered guest
B y far the best in their price range
O fficialy the worlds most popular speaker for Bands
S econd to none if you value quality
E xellence comes as standard

Unregistered guest
For all you Bose dissers, let me ask you your view on one speaker alone..... The Bose 101 Enviromental Speaker.
This speaker is made so it can be used outdoors, in extreme weathers, hail, rain, snow, and can be used in gardens, boats, bathrooms, saunas exct.,?

If you can diss that speaker, you will prove mine & many other readers thoughts that you know nothing at all about anything on this planet including yourself.

This is one of Bose's cheapest speakers, and one of their best. It's hardly ever mentioned in reviews, but is so good that the likes of Alton Towers (UK's biggest theme park) and Blackpool Pleasure Beach (UK's Most popular fair-ground) both use the 101 extensively.

Lets see you use your "Klipsch, Polk, B&W, NHT, or KEF" in the snow"! Ha! Must be the cheap materials they use?

I know this post is originaly about the accoustimass, but it seems to have changed for some reason into a 'rant-about-bose' blog.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
"For all you Bose dissers, let me ask you your view on one speaker alone..... The Bose 101 Enviromental Speaker. This speaker is made so it can be used outdoors, in extreme weathers, hail, rain, snow, and can be used in gardens, boats, bathrooms, saunas exct.,?"

So, what?

Other companies have made outdoor speakers that are just as good, if not superior. Niles makes decent outdoor speakers, for one.

Technomad makes outdoor speakers that are used by the United States Armed Forces, Universal Studios parks, and Disney parks. They are, without any doubt whatsoever, superior in performance and durability to the Bose 101.

"Lets see you use your "Klipsch, Polk, B&W, NHT, or KEF" in the snow"! Ha! Must be the cheap materials they use?"

The Bose 101 is likely constructed in a metallic or a composite housing since materials like MDF and wood wouldn't last very long in outdoor conditions. Try a Bose 901 in the same conditions and see what happens.

With your logic used in your counter, I guess that would make the Bose 901 a speaker that uses "cheap materials," despite the fact that they are Bose.

If you can't make a comparison with relevance, then don't try to make a comparison at all. - Reinhart

kevin_dj4u
Unregistered guest
Ok, look at it this way. Bose is by far the best speaker for its size. It puts out a decent amount of sound for the little size that they are. I own the pro 502 system, the 502 a bp and c. They are mostly small but they are LOUD. I pulled the system out of a nightclub and i currently use it as my home theatre setup and DJ system. So my point is, can you get the same quality of speakers for cheaper? Yes. Can you get the size and same quality? No. btw, the 502a is $800 each (I have 2) the 502bp is $1700 and the 502c is $500. So if you dont have a lot of space but want good quality and have the money to spend, go for bose. Also, the 502 is a backup DJ system for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Wow I can't believe how many people here are actually defending bose. You could make speakers that work and sound like bose speakers for almost no money.

Unregistered guest
It's really strange. I re-read the entire forum on this page to see the conflicting staments made by various people.

Some critics say the bose system has extremely high bass and treble, and the other critics say it has neither.

I see a problem here. The biggest problem could be the amplifier that you are driving the system with. Simple as that.

The other critical problem I saw with most of the guys who critisize bose is that, they drive the system with either a 75x5 or 100x5 Amp/Reciever. The AM10/AM15/AM16 can handle 200Wx5 or 6. How can one expect a 200 Watt speaker to perform it's best with a 100Watt Amp?

It's like trying to light up a 12Volt Bulb with a 6Volt battery, don't u think?

Most of the other systems that ya'll compare the Bose AM system with has active amplification for it's subsonics, where as the AM10 (the older one) is a passive sub. So if u don't give it the full 200W, it won't sound impressive.

It also depends on what Amplifier u use. Trus me THE SOUND THE AMSERIES PRODUCE DOES DEPEND ON THE AMPLIFIER!!! The Natural sounding Yamaha amps will sound extremely different than Dennon, Onkyo amps. Yamaha's Bass tweeks in the form of "Loudness" is not as effective as most other amplifiers. Yamaha does sound less bassy and heaps of Mids and okay highs for me. I preffer more bass and moderate treble. Too much mids wrecks my ears and I get a head ache after abt 10mins. So I really preffer warmer sounding amps like Onkyo, Dennon, and even the cheap pioneer amps which performs quite well for it's price.

About the price of Bose, I would say it should has been a little over priced for my liking. In all honesty, I think US$600-700 for the currently available AM10III which is priced @ US$1000 should have been the price range. That would have been the perfect price for it. (Just my openion ;)

Cheers to all!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Speaker wattage ratings almost meaningless. About the only thing they tell you is that you don't want to put a lot more than 200 watts for an extended period of time.

Most people listen to music using less than 1 watt of power.

Why would you spend a lot of money for amps to drive those Am series speakers. It would be much more benifical to buy new speakers and spending less on amplification. Unless you have seperate amplification it usually isn't a good idea to have a passive sub.

Where did you get those numbers anyway, as I don't think bose even publishes there numbers. Now ofcourse the sound the speakers produces depends on what you have powering them.

Now I don't think anyone would complain if the AM10 cost 300 bucks or so. But for the price and what they advertise it as it's bad.

Unregistered guest
rhineheart...... as you have never even seen a bose 101 I doubt very much you have ever heard one either (or you would have a good idea what it was constructed of) so it makes your comments immaterial, I do wish you would give your veiws on things you actualy know something about!
My old english teacher once told me a saying that would stand you in good stead "if you know nothing, say nothing"

Unregistered guest
Also, you must realy hate Bose a lot to even bother monitering this page so much and so often, just to see what new poison you can spew out as soon as you read a positive Bose veiw....
Me thinks you either need a life, or a good doctor!
Either way, it's only sadness I feel for you my freind, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Unregistered guest
Also, It comes across very plainly that you have a deep-rooted hate for all things 'Bose'
No noraml person would bother to keep monitoring this page just so you can spew out your anti-Bose poison every time you see a positive Bose review.
Me thinks you either need to get yourself a life, or go visit a good doctor.
Either way, I wish you a speedy recovery my freind.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
This is a reply to three SEPERATE posts, done in succession if I may add, from Yellowfang. They all say the same thing, yet he seems agitated to the point where he has to post three posts essentially saying the same thing?

"rhineheart...... as you have never even seen a bose 101 I doubt very much you have ever heard one either (or you would have a good idea what it was constructed of) so it makes your comments immaterial"

Is that all you can say?

You can't clarify your contentions to make your own point more valid? All you can do is attack me?

I guess my point was more effectual than your opinions say. It definitely seems to have struck a chord with you, that's for sure!

"Also, you must realy hate Bose a lot to even bother monitering this page so much and so often, just to see what new poison you can spew out as soon as you read a positive Bose veiw....
Me thinks you either need a life, or a good doctor! Either way, it's only sadness I feel for you my freind, and I wish you a speedy recovery"

Yeah, right.

You probably wish me a good future about as much as a terrorist wishes to do no harm to innocent people.

As for listening to Bose, I have listened to them before. I've listened to many models of their speakers. You know what: I wasn't impressed, especially considering the price!

I could buy a set of decent Martin Logans for the money it would take to get a set of comparable Bose! And, the MLs are likely to be lower in cost (not to mention nicer looking).

"Also, It comes across very plainly that you have a deep-rooted hate for all things 'Bose'
No noraml person would bother to keep monitoring this page just so you can spew out your anti-Bose poison every time you see a positive Bose review.
Me thinks you either need to get yourself a life, or go visit a good doctor. Either way, I wish you a speedy recovery my freind"

Didn't you just already say that in your previous post?

And, it also begs the question: why are YOU here?

If you feel that posting here is a waste of time and something that no "noraml" person would do, then why do you feel compelled to waste your time monitoring and posting here in reply to the responses I've made?

And the word is spelled "normal." Are you getting a little wired from my responses to the point where you can't type without making mistakes? - Reinhart

passerby
Unregistered guest
"My old english teacher once told me a saying that would stand you in good stead "if you know nothing, say nothing""

"Also, you must realy hate Bose a lot to even bother monitering this page so much and so often, just to see what new poison you can spew out as soon as you read a positive Bose veiw....
Me thinks you either need a life, or a good doctor!
Either way, it's only sadness I feel for you my freind, and I wish you a speedy recovery."

methinks....lol
yellowfang......you need a new english teacher.

Unregistered guest
Say, Screenx. I am thinking about buying the AM16 w/ denon avr 3805 soon. would that avr push the speakers to get nice sound.

After reading this forum my ideas are distorted about bose but i am installing this in my living roon which is pre-wired for 6 speakers to hang from the ceiling 3 across the front of the living room over the tv set-up and 3 across the back over the head where the sofa is set-up. I viewed much of the speakers you guys brought up in this forum but i didn't see any that would be able to hang from the ceiling where my wires stick out of the sheet rock. If anyone know of any other options of speakers that can be set up like those cubes from bose let me know.

The am16 is going for 1149.00 free shipping right now so it seems to be cheaper than they once were. the denon is 709.00 more than what i wanted to pay for a reciever but i want to get something will push those speakers.

In addition can i add a 2nd subwoofer later to that reciever if the bass is not enough for me??

I am new to home audio sound, but i mess around with car audio and bose speakers is extremely crisp and clear coming off my V12 amp after bypassing factory amp.

So i would have thought that home audio bose might be just as good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
The Denon AVR-3805 was replaced by the AVR-3806. But, don't let that get in the way of buying the AVR-3805. The 3805 is a very fine and powerful receiver and is absolutely still worth consideration.

In fact, because the 3805 is an older model now, you may be able to buy one at a reduced clearance price. Check with any Denon dealers in your vicinity.

And, be absolutely sure that you are buying your receiver from an authorized Denon dealer. You may not get any warranty coverage from Denon if the receiver was purchased from an unauthorized source. - Reinhart

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
THere is no point in using a receiver as good as that denon with those bose speakers. You can use a much cheaper receiver and get the same results.

Many bookshelf speakers can be mounted how you want. I would stay away from bose in home audio. Car audio they arn't as bad but still not great.

Once you hear good speakers, and how things are supposed to sound there is no way you will be able to go back to those bose speakers.

Unregistered guest
ok, what speakers capable of hanging from the ceil would be a nice match for that reciever. After checking a few sites it seems as though the denon reciever comes well recommended with some of the features that is has.

I can't seem toi find any of those speaker sets that has the 6.1, that can hang from the ceiling only 5.1 speaker sets

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
How much do you have to spend? All you really need for that 6.1 is 3 pairs of bookshelf speakers, and a sub. You could look at something like the speakers at svsound.com

Unregistered guest
I checked them out looks like these speakers are just as high or higher than the bose set. Are suppose to be better? Really i am looking to pay around 1000.00 to 1300.00 for the speakers and reciever, but would spend as much as 170.00 if it will last a while and provide good sound.

Anonymous

I was looking on the Bose.com site and wanted to see the spec's on their speakers but nothing was listed. Why is that?

Anonymous

Has anyone heard the Definitive Technology speakers. I was thinking of buying a set of the BP7002sc.

Percy Fields
Unregistered guest
Can someone tell me if this will be a nice setup:

Denon AVR-1906 reciever with Polk RM6200 speaker set
412.00 reciever + 623.00 speakers

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
What do you mean as high or higher than the bose set? Yes they will be much much better, plus they make great subs.

Percy Fields
Unregistered guest
Looks like i will go with the
denon avr 3805 and the polk rm6800 speaker set

Is this worth the money 700.00 reciever and 600.00 speakers?

better than paying 2000.00 for bose am16 and the same reciever.

I just hope everything sounds nice.

Thanks Paul S, you were a big help

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
If you want better sound you should spend more on speakers and less on a receiver. like 300 or 400 on a receiver and then spend the rest on speakers. As the speakers will give you a bigger upgrade than the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Nik3

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 39
the facks about bose is that there made cheep even though there msrp's are up in the high hunderds and they have lots of bass and treb. people like that but the lack any type of real highs and lows a nother thing i hear is like most speakers out there, there is called a crash burn type woofer. unlike bose there woofers are all the same only in diffrent size's to save money meaning that there 321 and all there reflecting speakers woofers come also in there 5.1 systems unlike reg speakers they dont have the crash afect the reflect making there rears kinda intervine with there frunts they have such a nak for selling there speakers on QVC and stuff like that win a real man gose in to the store geting a system they have to here that QVC W**** in the back of is mind "o there so small and cute a love them and there so much $ there the best, no highs no lows must be bose. you could get a sony dream system for 200 and blow away a bose system with the trained ear the fluded the marked with cheep sat sub speakers and sell them for so much money its just dumn.
o and wait there german!!!!!
stick the the brands that you can trust like athena sony jbl klipchs polk audio energey and even klh o and yamaha and onkyo well lets just say every thing but bose o i dont like B&W cuzz there just so much better then everything it makes me made evertime i look at them lol if i could i would be a fly for a week for a pair lol

JL
Unregistered guest
I have a question:
I have to downsize and wanted to get your advice,
I have a pair of old JVC speakers SP-550 (3-way) and a pair of Techics SB-CR33 (2-way). I actually compared these and could not tell much of a difference overall. I want to buy high end speakers next year when I save money but I want to keep one of these for the surround sound. I am not the audiophile I once was and would like to get your advice.
Thanks

Bronze Member

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 40
JL this should do the trick polk audio rm10 very compack system with that polk sound and power

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/systems/subsatsystems/rm10/

JL
Unregistered guest
Thanks Nikolas, I have always liked Polk Audio and can remember seeing them for the first in Stereo Review magazine.

Bronze Member

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 41
even better keep in mind that was from the polk audio site so its not going to $ that much

Unregistered guest
There you go again rhinehart expressing your views on another matter you know absoloutly nothing about......ME. (Seems to be your favourite pastime)

But do carry on old chap, there is a
saying "Give a fool enough rope & he will hang himself with it...." and your doing a fine job so far, i'm quite sure the readers who have a few more than two brain cells who read your many posts on this blog have a very good idea of what YOU are all about....

It would be pointless me telling you to 'go get a life' as it will only fly well over your head.

Unregistered guest
.........and instead of extracting pieces from everyone else's posts, why not try and use your own brain to think your own up?
If that is too difficult, ask a friend to help... (if you have any that is)

Unregistered guest
....Getting back on the subject of satellite speakers, a point worthy of note with regards the Polk RM10 is that they have a very small 'sweetspot', were as the Bose have a much broader soundstage due to their 'Stereo Everywere' design. An easy way of testing for this is to sit in different places within the room and take readings from a db counter.
Sound-quality-wise the Bose acoustimass 10 with it's 7.1 ability is breath-taking for movies or concert dvd's, but I WILL say the Polk RM10 are made with better materials... just goes to show, you can't have everything!
So you must choose between style or sound quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
"It would be pointless me telling you to 'go get a life' as it will only fly well over your head."

As usual, you're the only one here being a real jerk while rallying around the Bose flag.

And, I stand by my contention that you have nothing better to do than advertise for Bose and insult people rather than proving your point about Bose and explaining why.

You made a point, I countered it and have yet to hear a satisfactory response from you. I remain convinced that you have utterly failed to prove your contention and disprove my counter, again.

"Getting back on the subject of satellite speakers, a point worthy of note with regards the Polk RM10 is that they have a very small 'sweetspot', were as the Bose have a much broader soundstage due to their 'Stereo Everywere' design."

"Stereo everywhere." In other words, using multiple drivers within one enclosure to reflect sound from all directions all over the place.

But, what if you need localization for each speaker and what if the reflective surfaces aren't ideal?

"Sound-quality-wise the Bose acoustimass 10 with it's 7.1 ability is breath-taking for movies or concert dvd's, but I WILL say the Polk RM10 are made with better materials... just goes to show, you can't have everything!
So you must choose between style or sound quality."

That's an absurd way of putting it.

First off, sound quality of a speaker is really determined by its level of balance of elements. Imaging is only part of the equation. What about frequency response? Efficiency?

Secondly, materials selection can have an influence in sound quality of a speaker. When you said that the Polks were made of better materials, you should really specify. Better materials can also mean better drivers, better electronics for the crossover, and etc.

Besides, the Acoustimass 10 does not have that "Stereo everywhere" design. Indeed, even on Bose's own website, there is absolutely no mention of it anywhere for the Acoutimass series while information on some of their other products, such as the 901, do.

Besides, the Acoustimass 10 is 5.1, not 7.1. This is also apparently according to Bose's own information. - Reinhart

Bronze Member
Username: Gordo_in_ns

Post Number: 27
i too am pised at bose. i bought the wave cd radio, sounded great for such a little system. the problem is after a couple of months it must have loosend up. now at low levels is ok but past 50 it sucks. thoght i was buying quality for the office.i will send it back to see what their support and policies are. then u will be sure to see another opinion

Unregistered guest
I have a question about satellite speakers.
I am a little hard of hearing so I would like speakers with a little more brilliance (treble).

I have had JBL (floor standing) and Bose 401's (had to add 2 tweeters to each Bose to get the treble that the JBLs had.

I know that I won't get the mid range from small or medium sized sattellites but I want to go to the smaller speakers.

So far, I have experienced (from listening at showrooms) a lot of treble and brilliance from the Polk Audio (6701?), JbLs and Infinity satellites (750 & 1100).

Do any of you know if the Infinity modulus II speaker has more clarity and treble than the Infinity TSS 750 or 1100? Does the "Modulus" have more clarity or brilliance than the "Polk" or JBL satellites?

(I was told that generally the Infinitys have more treble - which I need.)

Thank you for comments.

I am registered with your site but I can't find the pass word.

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
The best thing you can do, MEC, is to check out any potential speakers and audition them until you find the one that has what you're looking for.

You've done some research, now check out your options in a demonstration at the showroom or, preferrably, in the actual listening environment that your new speakers will be used in.

Polk and Infinity may have what you're looking for, but there is that chance that you can come across something else that is closer to what you're trying to achieve when shopping around at a store (which can be another reason to go check out speakers).

And, as a final advisory, don't get suckered by white van speaker guys. - Reinhart

MEC
Unregistered guest
Kip, thank you for your rec's - very reasonable suggestions - however, no one has the Infinity "Modulus II" on display anywhere around the Houston area.
I have listened to the Polk 6901 and 6801 series along with Infinity Tss 750. All were great. I saw some reviews on the Infinity Modulus series and I was hoping to find someone who had compared them.

Thank you again for your suggestions. I may try to do what you suggest; purchase them from someone who will allow a return, then compare them in my own home.

MEC
Unregistered guest
Kip, thank you for your rec's - very reasonable suggestions - however, no one has the Infinity "Modulus II" on display anywhere around the Houston area.
I have listened to the Polk 6901 and 6801 series along with Infinity Tss 750. All were great. I saw some reviews on the Infinity Modulus series and I was hoping to find someone who had compared them.

Thank you again for your suggestions. I may try to do what you suggest; purchase them from someone who will allow a return, then compare them in my own home.

FrostK
Unregistered guest
I have the AC10 II for almost 7 years now, coupled with a Yamaha RX-V795aRDS Receiver (hardly top end), offering a mere 5x75W.

At the time I was looking for a decent, medium priced HT system for my bedroom, so it sounded just about right. While I do listen often to normal stereo music I was really after a good AC3 setup - and I reckon some sacrifices had to be made.

I'm not a professional listener by all means but I do like the Bose system when listening to a 5.1 encoded source. Bass is powerful even though I can clearly detect the source and dialogue is perfectly clear; also found it only works right if the sub opening is close to a wall - preferably near a corner. Overall this more than meets what I wanted from the system.

But for the plain normal stereo music it's barely average. Can be the speaker system, can be the AMP (unlikely), but it just doesn't sound right. Bass output borders ridiculous and I also agree it sounds worse with heavy rock music than it does with crystal chillout tracks. Hard to explain it but most instruments end up "mixing", there's really no feeling of presence. It seems to me that the crossover isn't working right when just stereo is being used, but that's just the guy who knows nothing about audio =)

That said, I have had an Asus motherboard in the past (A7N8X-DLX) with an AC3-encoding feature - basically sending any sound source from the PC (even normal MP3) in AC3 to the receiver. Note that this is a terrible source for quality and MP3 are hardly something to test a sound system. Surprisingly, for the first time ever, music sounded right, especially the much more powerful bass. My room is small yet I feel the system is powerful enough for more (not sure about huge living rooms, I live in a modest apartment). Even though I can't explain it, the same music sounded more clear, and I can assure it's no "impression", it really is different! Not sure if I just happened to find a particular setup or if the speakers only work right when the channels are properly decoded.

I now live most of the time away from that audio system and rarely have a break to watch a DVD in full glory, but it never ceases to get me a smile. For the normal everyday stereo music I agree it's a bit hard to believe a system that expensive gets a mere output like that, and when time comes I'll make sure to get either some encoder like the one I had or an active sub to make the best out of what I paid for.

As someone said, they do their job, 5.1 sources sound right and powerful, the speakers are nicely sized for a bedroom and deliver enough punch for a medium-sized room. I'm happy with them as I'm a cinema-addict :p But if I was on the look for something that was capable of decent stereo sound I wouldn't buy this set. Not saying Bose doesn't have alternatives (which I frankly don't know), but the AC10 in particular don't live up to their price in that account. My brother's Onkyo stereo system from the early 80's with just 2x35W but a pair of nice 15" woofers blows this hands down when it comes to power WITH quality.

Goes without saying it's only a personal opinion, and I agree one should test before buying - at least it'll be up to you and not someone else's taste!

Dave Shaver
Unregistered guest
I was glad I found your blog site. I was about to go for a Bose AM7 on ebay, but changed my mind after reading the observations here. I was reminded here that all the good press re:Bose I knew of had come from owners or Bose ads. Also, some years ago I bought a set of bookshelf Bose 201's...my wife pointed out that they sounded terrible. They did make me appreciate my nearly 30 year old KLHs. Anyway I found a set of Polk RM10's for less than $500, shipping included (new), and didn't hesitate. Here's hoping my not-so-new Pioneer VSX-502 will power the Polks OK.

Andreas V
Unregistered guest
Howdy! Glad to have come across this site of enthusiasts. Ok, a while ago I purchased the Bose Lifestyle 28 system & realized too late that it was indeed a wrong move. Not so much because of the quality of the movie sound - but rather the Music (and the media centre doesn't even have progressive scan!!). I've decided to pack it in & upgrade my entire set-up. What would you recommend I do if I wish to keep the small Bose speakers & sub woofer of the Lifestyle system for movies? Can I connect them onto a new receiver (ie: Denon type) and then additionally connect more "music oriented" speakers (via 7.1) so I can somewhat get the best of both worlds? Any set-ups you would deem ideal? Green is not so much of an issue...

Unregistered guest
Andreas V.

U can use the bose system with a separate reciever, but the power of the reciever will have nothing to do with the sound u'll hear from the BOSE system anyway. Thats coz BOSE has it's own amplification and decoding units built in seperately (Decoder/Player in the Media centre and amplifier in the Acoustimas module)

But if u wanna use additional speakers with u'r reciever + have the bose system plugged in as an enhansment, u can do it.

Make sure u'r Progressive scan DVD/SACD unit is connected to the reciever via Optical or Coaxial cable, then connect the Optical Output of u'r Reciever to the Optical Input of your Bose media centre. Crank up the volume of both systems and enjoy da ride :-)

Unregistered guest
Dave Shaver

Don't turn down BOSE coz people say things abt it. Listen to the sound u'rself before u pass judgement. Not many people know how to make use of a bose system. Unfortunately, even most people in the BOSE Demo rooms don't know how.

It's like condemning JAVA coz all u know is VB, and any kid can play with VB :P

Cheers to all!!

Unregistered guest
FrostK

It's not the speakers that sound different when u feed an AC3 line. It's actually the reciever! If u don't believe me, try pluging in your brother's Sterio Integrated Amplifier to your BOSE AM10 and plug in his speakers to your reciever and see for yourself.

The reason for this is, u'r YAMAHA AMP is a natural sounding amp which doesn't have propper Bass emhancements for STERIO LISTENING (Compared to it's competitors). But it's subsonics (BASS) only activates when an AC3 input is active coz the Subwoofer signal is active only in AC3 mode. That's why you hear richer sound when an AC3 signal is present. It's not a prob with your YAMAHA or u'r BOSE speakers. It's something common with almost all Yamaha's that I've listened to. If it's a Yamaha surround/AC3, 5.1, DTS amp, they perform best in those modes only, compared to it's Sterio sound producing capabilities.

To really test it out, plug in your bro's speakers to your amp and your speakers to u'r bro's amp, play the same type of music and compare the two systems.
Don't carnk up the volume too high of your YAMAHA after connecting your bros speakers, since u mentioned u'r bro's speaker system is only 35W, u might fry his speakers. Let me know how it goes ;)

Cheers!

Unregistered guest
Percy Fields

Sorry for the late reply.

Answer to the first question. Yes, the Denon AVR38xx series will sound greate on a BOSE AM16. The good news about this combination is that, the BOSE AM16 has a powered sub, so u don't need to hack your reciever to get the full potential of the speakers. Hear how the speakers sounds to you before u pass judgement on other people's comments.

Answer to the second Q, Yes, The Dennon coupled with the Polk Speakers would also be a good combination. But i guarantee you that the Polks will not sound as powerful as it's sub is not as powerful as the BOSE.

Polks' 50Watts Vs BOSE's 250Watts? Common sence guys. + For the AM16, u can connect a reciever which can pump 1000W (200x6) continuousely and thats in addition to the 250Watt built in power amp for the Subsonics ;)

A better combination than the Polk + Denon would be, the Denon reciever + Aperion Intimus 532 speakers. They have better frequency responce than the Polks.

Also look at the KEF KHT 2005.2 speaker system & Onkyo SKS-HT240 speakers. They all compete in the same class (minus the BOSE AM16 as it's power rating is much higher) :-)

If u require additional bass consider B&W's ASW series. I highly recommend it :-) If u really want to hear the B&W Sub and cant find a demonstrator, come to my house in Sri Lanka. I'd be glad to give u a bone rattling demonstration with my B&W ASW875 :D

Enjoy :-)

Unregistered guest
Answer to a common question that I've seen in this forum..

"Is it possible to connect two Subs to a single reciever?"

Of course. And it not limited to 2 Subs :-) U can connect any amount of subs that u can afford to buy.

Most of the Active subs today are equiped with a second sub/serial sub out option for additional sub connectivity.

If your Sub doesn't provide u with this option, u can buy a splitter that splits the connectivity of the sub out for multiple connection (Usually 1 in, 2 out). It's not a complex gadget, u can make it u'rself (I made mine).

All u need is one RCA connection jack and two RCA connection sockets. Get an electronic guy to connect (preferably by welding them to good quality wire) the jacks and u have a splitter.

If anyone needs assistance to make a splitter, let me know, I'll email a connection diagram :-)

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Best thing to do with bose speakers is sell them to someone who doesn't care about sound quality. Or has no idea about audio. Second best thing to do is throw them out the window so no one else has to waist as much money as bose charges for there speakers. Once you do that you can actually buy a good system.

Buglemcdougle
Unregistered guest
I've got a set of Bose book shelf speakers, about 20yrs old! They are flamin awesome!! Leave heaps of speakers for dead, super compact. And sweet sound! Plenty of high and tons of low. Never could see anything wrong with em' and never will, use all like to winge!

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 60
Seems like the thread went way off target. The origional title was are acoustimass worth the money.
It is evident that MOST people who say that they are not worth the money have expensive speakers. If I spent that kind of money on speakers I wouldn't go out and try to find any better.

It is also evident that MOST people who say it is worth the money, have the acoustimass system. Frankly if I spent as much on this system as it costs I wouldn't admit I have sub par speakers for the money.

Is it worth the money?... only if your looking for Tiny speakers and you don't care much about the sound quality.

Username: Jquinn14

Sacramento, CA US

Okay -- here is the mother of all posts related to the Acoustimass issue. Several years ago I purchased an Acoustimass 10 Series II speaker system. I hooked it up to my Yamaha HTR-5460 receiver and it's been a love/hate relationship ever since.

All I really want is to be able to watch t.v. (comedy, football, etc...) and the occasional movie as well as listen to CDs and the radio with surround sound that is accurate and loud. Not loud as in hurting-your-ears-loud, but loud as in being-right-there-in-the-middle-of-the-action loud.

I've tweaked the system over and over based on interpretations on information in the various owners manuals. I got so frustrated with the lack of bass that I bought a separate sub-woofer (Yamaha YST sw-105) but that got annoying as it constantly clicked on and off just before it was going to emit and sound and when it was going to turn off.

So, in reading this forum it appears that I am not the only one questioning the Bose system, but I am wondering if I've not set something up correctly and that's way things aren't sounding optimum. Here are my questions:

Speaker setting:
1. What should the right, left, center, and rear speakers be set at in terms of volume? I have them set up as "large" per the Bose documentation but then I also have the ability to set the "level". The default is "0", but I am wondering if I should increase it to add volume output?
2. I have seen the sub setting on the Yamaha and it is set to "0" although I know that the sub is supposed to be turned off. I can't find a setting that lets me turn it on or off -- just the volume setting. Any thoughts?
Subwoofer questions:
3. In terms of the separate, powered sub-woofer that I have I am not clear as to whether I should plug it into the special subwoofer port or do the splitter thing identified by the posters to this forum.
4. If I do use that separate woofer, is there a way set the settings so that it doesn't come on an off all of the time?
5. I have both the passive woofer and the powered woofer behind a cabinet door (with a screen on the front so that the sound comes out and air circulates). Both units face me. Should I turn them around so that they face the back wall of the media unit?
Amplifier questions:
6. I thought the receiver had an amplifier in it. Do I need a separate one to power the Acoustimass speakers? If so, what do I buy? How does it connect to the receiver?
Finally, is this just too complicated for what it's worth? Is there an easier, more simplistic way to get surround sound for someone who knows virtually nothing about all of these components?

Thoughts and help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 61
Julie,
First if you are going to continue to use the bose acoustimass system that is your choice. I personally would ditch them and purchase another set of speakers, but that is just me. However I will try to answer your questions.

1. The speakers should all be set to large and then they should go into the "bass module". This module is the cross over which diverts the highs/lows to the proper speaker.

1b. Go to radio shack and purchase a dB meter and use the test tones for your receiver. (some DVD's have a THX optimizer which u could probably use) This is where you will find out if you should increase or decrease the "level". Sit in the listening position and set all the speaker levels +/- until they all read about the same dB level on the meter. (ex. front right may be +3, front left may be -1)

2.If you scroll through the receiver options you should see where you can turn it to off, however i would leave it on and set it to plus (this will add that sub into the mix plus the "bass module")

3.Typically using the RCA jack is the best way to hook up a sub, however people have varying results. If you are using the bose system this is probably the only way you'll be able to do it as to all the speakers wires will go to the "bass module".

4.On the back of your sub there should be a switch that has on/off/auto-on, you may or may not be able to set the time.. some subs after 10min of no activity put themselves on standby, that seems to be what yours is doing, i would set it always on.

5.This will probably depend on the sub. Some are down firing, some are front firing some are rear firing. If its front firing then your set, rear firing then the cone will need to face the wall, and down firing it wont matter much.

6.Receivers do have an amplifier, however they typically are not as powerful as seperate amplifiers. Seperates tend to cost a bit more, and your reciever has to be able to have "pre outs" which will go to the amplifier. If you don't have pre outs, then it won't matter much cause you won't get the signal to the seperate amp.

6b. I would not spend the $ to purchase a seperate amp to power an acoustimass system. You would be better off buying better speakers and going through the setup steps to get it set up properly.

7. Setting up surround sound isnt that tough, buy 5 decent speakers (polk, klipsch, infinity, psb, there are hundreds of companies). Go and listen to these and see what your likes and dislikes are, for example polk and klipsch are typically regarded as opposites in sound. Klipsch seem forward where polk seem laid back, you'll have to listen to decide.

Then just plug each speaker into the speaker port on the back of the receiver and set them into position (probably set them all to small)hook up your sub and put it in the corner and your off. The problem is your expecting a lot of sound out of those tiny little speakers.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying to go out and buy something as big as your couch, but the acoustimass system will probably always leave you wanting.
If your looking for speaker choices here is some things u can read to try to help explain some about the small little cubes, as well as give you some options.
http://www.intellexual.net/speaker5.html

Good luck

Username: Pkpathak

Folks,
I was planning to buy Bose Acoustimass 15 with Kenwood receiver as sold by BJs for 1000$. After all these reviews I have second though. What option do I have with 1000$ to pair with Onkyo receivers. I am more into sound quality than power. Any guidance on what spearker system and where can I buy and listen to it will be helpful. All I see around in shops are Sony/Panasonic and nothing mentioned her as alternative.
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4821
What is available in your area? We don't even know where you are and you ask where you can buy any alternatives?

Do you have a Best Buy or a specialty audio shop?

If you have a Best Buy look for speakers made by Athena Technologies. There are plenty of others, but for your budget, you have a starting point. Go from there.

Username: Pkpathak

Post Number: 2
I am in NJ. I have access to Best Buy, Circuit City, PC Richardson. What are other special audio shops? I will try to locate them.

Former A/V Sales Guy
Unregistered guest
The bottom line is value and satisfaction. What do you get for the money? Having sold speakers with honesty for many years, I used to have folks that came in asking about the Bose system, sit down and listen. I would switch back and forth between an $800 Bose system, and a $500 equivalent sized sat/sub system from Yamaha. I wouldn't tell them which system was playing. After just 5-10 minutes, almost every time when I asked which they liked better, "A" or "B", they picked the Yamaha set. It wasn't a matter of sales talk, or money. Simply which did they like better. Some were upset that the company they admired for so many years let them down. Some actually got mad that I opened their eyes (ears) for them. A great reality check is to have an instrument to hear in it's original tone, then to hear that instrument through different speaker company's products. Each brand and series has it's own "voice" that imparts certain characteristics or "Color" as it is referred to in the industry. Most speakers voices are nice by (somebody's) standards, but most are not usually very accurate. Flat response (not over accentuating any frequencies) is accurate, but not always very exciting at lower volumes. Cheaper speakers usually have lots of added color, hence the "boom and sizzle" effect. These speakers seem to have more "something" than a flat response speaker, but when you turn them up, they often fall appart. A "flat" (accurate) speaker usually holds up better at higher volumes. Making speakers accurate is expensive. I have never seen Bose speakers in Recording studios, but see lots of nice B&Ws.
I would say, if you are a casual listener, and can't tell the difference, don't buy the Bose. they will only cost you more. If you buy speakers with your eyes and not your ears, buy the Bose. Your friends that don't know quality sound will be impressed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4860
Sakha,
Go to Best Buy and check out the Athena line of speakers.

Unregistered guest
With referance to Chris's answer to Julie's question, I think I should suggest a minor change in the speaker settings.

Julie, only set the left & right speakers as "large". Center, Rear left & Rear Right should be set to "Medium" or "Small".

If u play arround with the AM10 II, u should realise that only the front Left & Right speaker connections give u the best bass responce. Therefore, by doing the changes I suggested, the lower frequencies of Center, and surround speakers will be mixed to the main (Left and right) speakers.

Even though it's mixed to the Left & Right, since they are low frequencies, u'll only get the sound from the accoustimass module and not the front speakers, so u can enjoy better bass ;)

Try it and let us know how it went :-)

Cheers!
ScreenX

28bb
Unregistered guest
hi,

i have been wanting a bose system for a long time! my father has got the bose lifestyle system and it sounds amazing. i dont want to pay £2000! i found a bose 28 for £700. i really want it, but i wanted to check with you guys first????
:-)

Unregistered guest
28bb

Take your favourite CD & DVD and ask them to give u a demo! If u are happy with what u hear, go for it :-)

Cheers!
ScreenX

GadgetHead
Unregistered guest
I own a Bose Lifestyle 48 and would recommend it to anyone else. Here are my top reasons:

1. Very good overall sound for movies and audio. The Adaptiq audio calibration does a good job of customizing the sound to your room. The fact that it does not rattle the walls is actually a plus for me. These are excellent speakers for everyday listening.

2. Looks very nice! Would you buy a house or a car without considering how it looked? Don't underestimate the form factor.

3. Bose has excellent customer service.

4. I have stored 311 CDs into the UMusic system and it's very easy to access any song and playlist. This is another very impressive feature.

I know there is a lot of Bose bashing going on in here, but the best cars, or the best computers or whatever we consider best is usually based on both technical and non-technical factors. I wonder why the same accusations that are being made against Bose are not made for other popular products like:

1. iPod
2. Intel chips
3. Windows (OS)
4. All designer clothes, watches, luxury cars etc. etc.

You get the point.

In case you are wondering, I am not a Bose employee or affiliated to them. I just believe that forums such as this are badly biased. I am not saying Bose are the best speakers in the market (it's for you to decide based on what your needs are), but I would recommend them based on my experience with several Bose products.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5014
It gets bashed here because this is an audio forum.

Just enjoy your Bose, there other people out there who like them and they are not waning in popularity. Their marketing is top notch and will continue to sell for a long time to come.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
23bb spend much less than what your dad spent on a real speaker system. You will get much better audio performance.

"1. Very good overall sound for movies and audio. The Adaptiq audio calibration does a good job of customizing the sound to your room. The fact that it does not rattle the walls is actually a plus for me. These are excellent speakers for everyday listening."

Not for the price you spent. You could have just gone with your run of the mill audio system in the 500 dollar range which would give you most likely better sound quality than what you got. Now spend like 1500 on a system and you will never think bose has good sound quality ever again.

Many people would be happy with what ever they bought. It doesn't matter how "good" it really is. They have no point of referance or what to look for. If you put the bose name on 90% of these 500 dollar home theater in a box systems. Then charged 1500 for the system people would still think it's great even when it's the same quality as they would have got with a 500 bucks system.

If you are looking for a system with good sound quality do not look at bose. There really isn't any argument for it in that department.

JakeyJones
Unregistered guest
Bose aren't that bad...as long as YOU enjoy them. That's all that matters. It was YOUR money when YOU bought/buy them so enjoy them. I'm sick of seeing people on this site bash others simply because they are satisfied with their Bose setup or jumping on the Bose bashing bandwagon to supplement their mediocre lives. It's like telling a guy that his brand new Xmas present sucks or new bride is a dog, you just don't do it.

I had the Acoustimassset up with an Onkyo Receiver years back and enjoyed it in my apartment. I had the sub box in a corner behind my entertainment center and it gave out good bass, not the best but good. I can tell you that my downstairs neighbor isn't a Bose fan now either. But Empire Strikes Back played out great for the small space and concrete walls. It was good for the application.

I've moved on to a better system and know Bose isn't the best but we all have to start somewhere, right?

Unregistered guest
dear sir

my name is kevin,i jus wanna kno were i can find a repair kit for my acoustimass 5,i need the cube speaker kit and the bass module kit.pls let me kno.

kevin

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
"Bose aren't that bad...as long as YOU enjoy them. That's all that matters. It was YOUR money when YOU bought/buy them so enjoy them. I'm sick of seeing people on this site bash others simply because they are satisfied with their Bose setup or jumping on the Bose bashing bandwagon to supplement their mediocre lives. It's like telling a guy that his brand new Xmas present sucks or new bride is a dog, you just don't do it.

I had the Acoustimassset up with an Onkyo Receiver years back and enjoyed it in my apartment. I had the sub box in a corner behind my entertainment center and it gave out good bass, not the best but good. I can tell you that my downstairs neighbor isn't a Bose fan now either. But Empire Strikes Back played out great for the small space and concrete walls. It was good for the application.

I've moved on to a better system and know Bose isn't the best but we all have to start somewhere, right?"

The point is that you would have been just as happy and got the performance you were looking for at a much cheaper price than what you have to pay for a bose system.

Blackeyed why not just get a new system? May be a better idea than what you have to spend to repair your current system.

ScreenX
Unregistered guest
Blackeyed!

Search on E-bay!

Cheers!

ScreenX

Anonymous

Please advise. i am a casual listener with an untrained ear. i live in an apartment near J&R in NYC and rarely crank the sound up to party level. i dont have a lot of money either (even $600 is pushing it). i watch a lot of tv. so, what i'm asking is with your combined knowledge and experience: what would you recommend for my needs in a simple surround sound system, keeping in mind that I want to enhance my enjoyment with a solid and simple system. I am not able to afford the hook-up simplicity of the Bose 321 2 speaker system and would maybe be disappointed in its range after all was said and done. I do like the 2 speakers though. More importantly, what would you all suggest say if you had a sister who had about $600 or so to spend on the entire system? thank you.

Karen123
Unregistered guest
need to clarify my last message, when i said i like the 2 speakers, i meant i like the simplicity of it. not the bose factor.

Anonymous

need to clarify my last message, when i said i like the 2 speakers, i meant i like the simplicity of it. not the bose factor.

Anonymous

Universal uses Freespace 51's in their park in
Orlando... They sound good. Alot of them
are ten to 15 years old. I think the park opened
in 1990.It all depends on the type of amp
you use.

Unregistered guest
I have had bose lifestyle 12 for 5+ years. I am ready to add (to the B channel) JBL ceiling speakers. other than an additional remote, is there any thing else I need? Do the JBL's simply plug into the R & L outputs on the back of the receiver? Any help much appreciated.

somewacko2
Unregistered guest
I had the oppertinutiy to see in the closet of one of the demo rooms of the bose store - there has got to be $80,000 in amps and processing gear to make the listening room sound good. Its also rather dark so you don't notice the room treatments.

I'm really well versed in Audio, i built several of my own speakers and I used to run pro-sound and was plauged with 4pair of BOSE 802's (who's surrounds deteriated after 4-5 years of use).

Buy Other Sound Equipment!

Unregistered guest
Mr ScreenX,
Is the jewel cube of my lifestyle 35 will work on the bass module of the Acoustimass 10 series 3 or Acoustimass 16 series 2?
I don't want to use the receiver/media center of bose ls 35. Instead, I have a B&K 507 s2 receiver that I want to use on the jewel cube through the acoustimass 16 series 2 or acoustimass 10 series 3 bass module with an additional active subwoofer.
Hoping for a response. Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us