Archive through February 28, 2005

bobeone
Unregistered guest
I have an entry level home theater system and I am thinking about upgrading the speakers. I like the diminuitive Bose speakers. Any suggestions? Keep it clean.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 398
that, they are; diminutive, fidelity wise. Some people like it, but most that have experience with other speakers, usually hate them. Do a comparison test and decide for yourself. check out some offerings by Athena Micro Series, some bookshelves by Axiom, Energy Take 5, paradigm, Ascend Acoustics, all are miles better from Bose.

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
Bose speakers are, without exception, overpriced and pretty poor sounding.

Their top of the line 901 is a sonic mess.

Bleached out sound, no soundstaging, no clear highs or lows. Ugly.

Consider the low priced offerings from Paradigm and PSB.

Username: Doc

Post Number: 6
Yes Gentlemen I would have to agree.

I would personally suggest looking at the Energy and the Paradigm product. Not always as easy to come by... but better stuff that might even save you some money.

I have a litte prejudice against bose though. They dont impress me, and the company bothers me. This is a company that sued CEDIA for using the word lifestyle at the CEDIA convention a couple years back. What the heck! Bose sues one the the major organizations that supports this industry? Bose equipment is also very proprietary. Nasty trying to tie much into a bose unit.

Well anyway, I feel better. Sorry about the ranting.

Enjoy your new speakers whichever you buy.

Doc

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 53
Bose speakers are overpriced for what you get. Their best quality is their compactness. But you can do a lot better for the money in small satellite/subwoofer combos. If you're set on small speakers, you should consider the KEF KHT1005 or KHT2005.2 systems. Both provide outstanding sound considering their size.

Unregistered guest
They are definitely worth the money! I've tried many speakers and practically only the very high end ones could compare. If you are looking for quality sound, Bose are the speakers for you. If you love noise, then any speaker would do. It all depends on what you want: to hear loud noise or crystal clear professional sound. Remember, positioning of speakers is of great importance for quality sound.

mab
Unregistered guest
personaly myshelf i dount think bose speakers are worth the mone ones with frequency ranges over 22,000 hz. which our hemuan ears can-not hear your just paying money for facy speaker i would reater buy used speakers fro the hock shops because i dount whant to spend 12,00 to 3,000 dollars for a pair of speakers just because they coast thousands of dollars doesn't mean there beter or worth the money

Bronze Member
Username: Quartzdesign

Post Number: 16
I sold my Bose AM15 and upgraded to an Axiom Epic 60. The sound difference is night and day. There is more dynamic range from my Axioms than Bose could ever produce.

The only reason Bose would be purchased is their small compact design that blends in well with decor. Plus they are WAF friendly (wife approval factor) I did a direct comparison of an Infinity HTS20 satelite system (about $500) to the Bose AM15. The Infinity had a clearer center channel and the overall frequency response was much fuller. You could go with almost any manufacturer that is about 1/3rd the price of Bose, and the worst case scenario is that they sound the same (doubtful)

Regardless of what I say, why would you trust a company that makes speakers yet does not post specs on them?

Unregistered guest
i'm really confused now. I wanted to ask one of my friends in U.S details about the bose product range and the comments on this site make me think again.Can someone help???!

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
dayavanth,
listen to other speakers and don't narrow your choices down to just Bose. Do you have access to other speakers wherever you are?

jz
Unregistered guest
Guys, if you are considering buying a new system, or in the process of upgrading to a better system SHOP around before you nail it down to something like Bose.

I still own a set of Acoustimass 5, which I have had for years, and I have a set of Axiom m80s speakers along with others. Believe me when I tell you people that you will be wondering what the heck you were listening to if you think Bose is the ultimate. Those Axiom speakers knocked the socks out of me for quality and price you can't beat. Any of their ranges are perfect...even for a start-ups. Save money instead of busting on Bose and get a better system. I have both worlds and I know what the diff is. You are paying for the marketing price of Bose. It's not like Bose is terrible... all I am saying is that it's nowhere close to worth the asking price or the sound quality (ugh..compared to others). Look into Axiom speakers if you want a good reputed quality speakers at a very very very affordable price.... serious. Hope this info helps some of you newbies or confused people out there. :-)

jz

Bronze Member
Username: Quartzdesign

Post Number: 23
I bought Axioms too and am very pleased with them too. I got the Epic 60 with an upgraded sub and center. Of course floor standers will have more range than cubes...In any case, budget HTIB systems will sound better than Bose. Look into Infinity's or Polk, which you can find on ebay at a bargain and will sound the same if not better!

The Brick Master
Unregistered guest
Im in the retail business and from whats shown here a lot of people seem very biased towards a single brand, from a professional point of view, Bose has produced a very high quality product nearly comparable to Infinity, but, still lacking. Bose may use upgraded cone material, but the harmonic distortions are still there. Check any infinity set with the CMMD drivers. You'll be very impressed.

RockStar
Unregistered guest
Hi, I work for Bose Direct Shops in the UK. Thats all Im going to say becuase i love the company and everybody is great, i couldnt want to work for a better company. I strongly recomend you have a listen to the new Bose speakers, especial the new series AM5's. Also, if you want great sound try the Lisfestyle 901's, hard to get hold of but they sound amazing.

Dont judge us becuase we dont release specs, judge us on our sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
Don't worry RockStar, your job is safe. Your company has an excellent marketing department and without doubt they can keep fooling a lot of ignorant people with fatter wallets than gray matter. It is good to love the company that provide you with livelihood, because hating them will be foolhardy and stupid. The people hating their jobs and the company they work for end up quitting and if they are psychotic and angry enough they tend to randomly shoot some of the employees and management.
It is not the lack of specifications that the company you claim you work for that is being judged. If you spend anytime around this forum, or any audio forum for that matter, Bose speakers do not sound all that good, they don't sound detailed at all. The bass leaves a lot to be desired, the 5" paper cones just can't deliver the goods. And what about the price? There are a lot of speakers out there that sound better and built with better materials.
Yes, nice company...same company that sues everybody, including CEDIA. If you know anything about the audio world, you'd know who/what CEDIA is.
Anyway, your naivete and and butt kissing for the company you work for is forgivable, but your claim that they sound amazing is downright stupid.

Agentceo
Unregistered guest
I personaly like bose speakers. But would I recomend them? probably not. The reason I would not is because they are way over priced. I believe when shoping for a speaker its value one should go after, not price. High price does not = to best speakers. I believe bose has a excellent marketing department. The reason so, because they were a professional brand that was brought to the mainstream and became a consumer brand. Other words they are difrent from all the Sony, Panasonic brands that clutter the store shelves. Now compare them to the professional brands you DONT see in popular stores such as best buy, good guys etc such as AKG, Sennheiser, and so forth your value begins. I think many speakers by other companies are better priced along with quality. Bose might make the best speakers, but the parts they use such as wire's, cases, and so on are cheep. In the end its your ears, if bose sounds better than the real thing, go for it buy bose. if not and you compain they are too expensive, then buy what ever fits your budget.

JeffKnob
Unregistered guest
Bose makes some of the worst speakers on the market. They are on par with HTIB sets that cost $100-$200 yet cost so much more. The truth is there are gaps in the frequency response between the bass module and the cubes. Also the cubes only extend up to 13KHz. It is rare to ever find speakers that don't at least extend to 20Khz. Here is a link that explains what I am talking about and much much more.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

sbank
Unregistered guest
Just to add my 2 cents. I originally had the acoustimass 15 set in my apartment. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Then I bought a house, and moved the entire setup to a bigger listening room (my basement). This is where the Boses faultered. The bass couldn't fill the room, and when I turned up the juice, the sub would just sound bad. Then I had some water in my basement, and the sub got ruined. After countless hours on the phone with Bose's customer service, I gave up on them. They would not sell me the replacement sub. I tried everything. They wanted me to bring it to a repair shop for it to be fixed. (If you saw a picture, you would know that they were completely ruined, water seeped into the pressboard wood, and completed destroyed and disfigured the assembly.)

So I have since bought some new front speakers (Paradigm Studio 60s) and a new sub (Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature) and hooked the remaining Bose speakers as my rears and surrounds as `normal' speakers. I am happy with this configuration. The new fronts and sub sounds about 1000 times better than what it sounded like in my old apartment.

I will never buy a Bose product againt due to the poor service that I personally had. And the speakers are fine as background-type speakers. But when it comes down to it, buy a real brand.

(As always YMMV.)

Russ in SB
Unregistered guest
I had a Bose theater system that was purchased because my wife liked the small size. I used them for several years, knowing that they lacked the desired sound quality.

I recently upgraded to Paradigm Studio 100s. There is no comparison. I feel like I am hearing the music for the first time. The Paradigms are phenomenal.

Bose are sold on hype alone. Look elsewhere.

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 13
I have an AM 7 and AM 16 before and sold them bec. after going back and forth to the store and comparing it even w/ Boston's Bravo and 9500 or even a B&W 301, you'll realize something is definetely missing on the highs.

Anonymous

Bose speakers have a important role in our the audio industry. They mix well into most living areas, without overwhellming themselves. They are good for a starter system and deliver decent sound at moderate levels. They do not by any means deliver great frequency range, dynamics, SPL, and soundstage. BOTTOM LINE! My brother had a 5.1 Bose cube system which he latter replaced with a Klipsch system. Results: Night and Day! I have DEF.TECH. and Polk Audio. My Polks I got used and from E-bay and completely BLOW away Bose. My DEF. TECH's just bring in the LOWS. So think, look around, listen, there are many more speakers for far less money! Than again Bose are okay for background music.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 33
Just to add my 2 cents,

"are the bose cubes (i.e., scoustimass) worth the money?"....

no.

Personally, I think you could get better sound than the Acoustimass by purchasing a KLH cube/sub set at BestBuy for 100 bucks, but that is just me ;)

A close personal friend of mine is an interior decorator. She recommend those "cute little bose cubes" because "they are small and women like them". A ringing endorsement from an interior decorator. :-)

Of course I think I would rather take my suggestions for audio from someone that actually knows something about audio. (I disabused her of the bose by taking her to a real audio shop and having her hear other options that the bose. She now recommends Energy Take 2.2, Athena's Micro, and KEF's because she thought they sounded best and were easy to work into her designs. Neither here nor there I suppose.)

Personally, when I have experienced the acoustimass systems, I find their sub extremely distracting if is is any distance from the front/center. This is because the bose bass module is really more a mid woofer than a sub and it must be making bass up into the 300 HZ range.

What that translates into in real world experience.... when at my relatives house, they have the sub in the corner about 10 feet left and 7 feet down from the cube on the wall.... I can hear dialogue coming from the bass module, I can hear special effects coming from the bass module, I can hear micellaneous background noise coming from the bass module. And that is distracting as hell when watching a movie. Most subs are seldom used above 100hz, both because most speakers are capable of going that low and bass above that frequency is to easily localized and identified. If the sub is too far from the main left and rights and goes that high like the bose does, you notice it, and notice it and notice it because sound that should be coming from front through mains and center is coming from the bass module.

You can do so much better for less. Shop around and let your ears decide.

Good luck

Judy Kashen
Unregistered guest
I found the posts about Bose very helpful, because I was planning to buy a pair of 301's for stereo music listening because I really need something compact. Can anyone suggest something else shelf-size that's good, keeping in mind that I'm strictly using them for classical, folk and ethnic music (no movies)? I have used a pair of marvelous but BIG Yamaha speakers for almost 30 years. They still give good clear sound, but are beginning to show their age, I think -- and they and their stands take up lots of floor.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1261
What is your budget??

Username: Adstark

MPLS, MN

Post Number: 8
I love my BOSE cube speakers I ripped them right off the wall in my room, draged them outside and installed them in my truck. they sound like crap in large spaces but if you confine them to small spaces like a truck cab combined with a sub or three:-) they do their job, which is produce noise

Unregistered guest
I am currently considering the Bose Acoustimass Series 15 for a new room (25'x25'). I am going to run the wire through the walls and my wife is insisiting on small (bose size) speakers. I would like to go with a 6.1 configuration. Does anyone have any suggestions for a manufacturer for a large room and small size speakers in the price range of $1000?

hedonio
Unregistered guest
Something interesting, I own an AM3 and an AM7 (did not know better at the time). Went to Bestbuy to upgrade to an AM15 and these were the area supervisor words: "I don't make any commissions on anything that we sell. If I was you, I will be spending my money in something else". Thank You!, I shopped around, read, learn and now I own Athena(second setup), PSB(first setup), Mirage (my yard) and Paradigm (my room). I still own the Bose system if anybody is interested in buying one!

Unregistered guest
Hey, I just bought the acoustimas 5 series lll last night to replace my huge cerwin vegas. couldn't wait to get home to listen to them. They sounded ok but they didn't jump out at me. Plus my wife wanted them in white and they look like do do in white. I paid 499 at the bose outlet store in florida. I'm kind of disappointed. What is another choice for speakers in that 500 price range.

Username: Scsimarz

Gainesville, Fl Unites States

Post Number: 4
Mike, if you are willing to go through the trouble of running wire in the walls you might want to consider a set of in wall speakers.

They are bigger than small cubes, such as the Bose, but if you can convince the wife to let you put the holes in the walls they will take up no space at all (in fact, you could even put a painting over them).

I own a pair of the Paradigm Studio 20s and am very impressed with the quality Paradigm speakers.

Their website is www.paradigm.com and the link to their in wall speaker product line is:

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteReferenceProduct/RModels/InWall/SA_series.ht ml

Kruz
Unregistered guest
aight if your a speaker/quality freak then go wit bose acous. because where is boast located??oh ya....germany....leading sterio and audio country in the world ....im serious go and listen....now does this mean that bose is the best no...there are still MANY other speaker varieties that i like better....depends on taste... my friend has a duraband walmart generic 5.1 emulation from rca and i like it better than my creative.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1649
Bose is in the USA

Moman2000!
Unregistered guest
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I mean you guys must have some superman hearing or something to tell the difference between those frequencies. I think Bose makes awesome stuff. I rather buy something made from the mind of a PHd then someone who didn't even graduate from highschool. I recently bought the acoustamass 10 series 3 system. I love it. Previously I had a klipsch thx system (sucked), and a infinity system (sucked). The only thing I did have in the past was my $1000 velodyne woofer.. but it broke (ahh man!)
But, for my ears, I think Bose sounds so damn clear!
Thanks for listening!
Mo

Unregistered guest
Glad to see a site that realy knows the truth about Bose. The "doctor" is very good at one thing, MARKETING, and nothing else. I feel sorry for the rubes posting who have Boseitis.I knew an owner of a speaker store back in the mid to late 80's who did repairs (re-coning). One day he showed me what drivers Bose used in their "flagship" 901's. Sorry Bose nuts but they were the cheapest drivers available on the market at the time. Total garbage. What do you think the eq. was for? The lack of any freq. response! Ah.. Moman, go listen to real speakers and then post that you need super-human hearing to tell the difference. My own system is Dyne speakers (homemade) driven by a Bedini amp and Lux cd player and preamp. All this coming from a former Bose nut, until i HEARD the truth.

Username: Ketchupaholic

Post Number: 2
I would neve by Bose speakers. I know some people swear by them, but they are are like the corona, Fosters of the speaker industry. Great marketing for a cheap product.

Just and FYI for you Corona Drinkers, it's viewed as pis@ water in Mexico. If you want a really good Mexican Beer go with Pacifico!

moman2000!
Unregistered guest
You guys were right all along. Actually when I got the system home, I realized something was missing. I couldn't figure it out at first, but something was missing when listening.
Anyway, I am taking them back to Best Buy tomm, I think I will go with the asperion bookshelf 5.1 system witha 10" woofer? What do you guys think of those?
Thanks
MoMan!

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 34
your doing the right thing. return it and find a better sounding speaker for the same or lesser price. u won't regret it.

MOMAN2000!
Unregistered guest
But what do you guys think of Aperion? I placed an order today for the bookshelf 5.1s with a 10" woofer. Costs 1499 plus a free onkyo receiver which I plan on giving to my sister since I have a HK already.
Thanks. Everything I read, and I mean everything makes it sound like these are the best!?
moman!

Don Scott
Unregistered guest
How do the speakers in Bose car audio systems, like Mercedes, differ from regular speakers? Do they have their own amps, one per speaker, with tailored frequency filters or what?

Unregistered guest
To the original author of this query on the BOSE system; bobeone. thanks for asking this question. Presently I have been listening to my old school configuration and decided to upgrade and was almost sold on BOSE until I had a chance to experience their performance as compared to Axiom, Paradigm, Klipsch, ..., etc within a professional sound room. All of The folks who have given you advice are correct, it depends on what turns you on about a system and; for me especially, what you can afford. I'm gravitating towards the Axiom product because you get excellent dynamic range capturing for the frequencies you can clearly hear for a reasonable price!

To the other responses, thank you for helping me decide on my new sound system.

Tats
Unregistered guest
Hey, My advice to you is go to regular store and try them out or buy a Bose and if you don't like em return them. Speakers are a matter of taste and I cannot tell you what your ears will find as the best. Try them out.

phantom700
Unregistered guest
Bose is defineately an over rated speaker system for the money. Someone earlier stated something along the lines of a PHD would know something better thatn those wihout a high-school education. I still don;t see the logic behind a speaker without a mid? And what the heck is up with the whole CEDIA law suit. That is just wrong. Well the heck with me, just listen to several systems before going with Bose and try to listen to them in a real theater instead of on a make-shift display. You'll be surprised.

Username: Srikanta

Bangalore, KA India

Hi There!

My name is Srikanta and I'm from India. I have a small home theater that includes Bose Acoustimass 5 II (for front L R and subwoofer) and i have Bose 161 for center and rear speakers (L R) and I also have Yamaha AV receiver (Yamaha RX V550)

But the problem is my Bose Acoustimass 5 don't have subwoofer IN so I have change my Yamaha setting and redirect my subwoofer to front.

I feel I'm not getting the right Base from my subwoofer can you please guide is there any other way I can connect speakers or my connection or right??

Thanks a ton

- Sri,

Gold Member

Post Number: 1933
try setting the speakers to large and connect the subwoofer module to the front mains and connect the satellite speakers via subwoofer module.

Bangalore, KA India

Post Number: 3
Hi Berny

Thanks for Prompt replay let me try that and get back to you if I have any issues.

- Sri

Kevin C
Unregistered guest
I've had a Bose system before and when I decided to upgrade, I was listening to a bunch of other speakers. In my opinion, for the same price, you can get a lot better sound from other brands. It makes sense because with a bigger speaker, you end up getting more range than you can get with a sattelite speaker. I ended up with a B&W 601 as my fronts and I couldn't be happier.

If size is a factor and you want the small sattelites, I would encourage you to try the Ventriloquist system by Hsu Research. I demoed this when I was down in Southern Cal. when I was looking at subs. To be honest, they blew me away. I felt they surpassed the sound of the Bose system and they were soooo much cheaper. The best deal for satellites by far that I have encountered. Take a look at the link below.

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

If you're looking for subs, Hsu research is AWESOME. I must have demoed 10-12 other brands and their stuff blew me away.

Good luck.

Bangalore, KA India

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your suggestion, now I'm felling that I did a mistake choosing bose because again I have to invest on the subwoofer now I think Bose has very bad strategy. I cant afford to change now (I just bought last week) may be after some time I'll change/upgrade it to B&W or some other speakers.

- Berny

I changed the setting the speakers to large in Yamaha its better now but still not much bass are coming. I guess I have to invest on the subwoofer again :-(

let me know is there any otehr way I can get more bass

Any way thanks guys for you support,

- Sri,

Gold Member

Post Number: 1947
On the set-up menu, turn off the subwoofer output option.

Kevin C
Unregistered guest
Sri, don't feel bad about the speakers you have. When I had the Bose, I was fine with them. The plus about them is that they are small and out of the way. My wife liked them a lot better than what I have now just for that reason.

I wish I could help you with the bass issue. Good luck.

Bangalore, KA India

Post Number: 5
Thanks Berny
I'll try that too.. hope it works.

- Sri,

Bangalore, KA India

Post Number: 6
Kevin, thanks for all your support yes even I like the size of the speakers but I guess I have to invest on the subwoofer for bass :-(

Thanks and keep in touch.
-Sri

james6541
Unregistered guest
my freind has a bose system it is good, HOWEVER,
my system sounds as good, and costs several times less.
bose are overpriced and over rated, I know what i am talking about, i used to be a hi fi sales person, and i still have a very keen interest in audio.

Username: Alexlim

JakartaIndonesia

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone.

I have Bose AM15 speaker system. I intend to buy a new receiver very soon. The dealer advised me to get a high power-output receiver to fully enjoy bose. I have narrowed down my choices to Marantz SR-7400, Denon AVR-3083 and Yamaha RXV-2400. I would be pleased if you can provide me with further advise on the which receiver you would recommend. Thank you for your help.

alex

Username: Mwest

Stockton, Ca Usa

I own Bose AM15 speakers and much of what is said is true about the lackof highs and lows and the diffused bass. BUT, I find the sound to be pleasant and rewarding, yes even musical. Many HT speakers are dynamic, produce highs and lows,,but lack musicality. Most of what I listen to sounds fine w/ Bose, they are very forgiving. I am wary of Hi Res systems that demand high quality inputs.

Mr Skeptical
Unregistered guest
I just moved into a condo where my friend, has a big TV. I was excited to use my theater system, but another roommate had the bose. I was fine with using his at first, but now I can't stand it. I can barely hear the center channel(the most important speaker)even after surround is turned down. however, I do have some bose shelf speakers that I like, but they only sound good when the music is turned up. I would definitely do your homework before buying your system. even though other systems are bigger and bulkier, you won't regret the sound.

Unregistered guest
I have a pair of Bose 201 speakers in my trunk but after reading your comments, I think I will return them. What do you think about the Paradigm Atom series? I have a small living room and will use them mostly for music listening.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2084
Much better than the 201s:-)
cheers

Username: Slogans7

I have owned two Bose systems for about 10 years. I really enjoy them. I have one system in my living room for music only, and a 5.1 setup in my bedroom for home theatre. The problem that Mr. Skeptical encountered with an under-nourished center speaker is simply remedied; push the Center Channel button on the remote and turn down the sound on the left and right speakers, then go back to 5.1.

That being said, I recently bought an Orb speaker system that I run through a mid-level Sony amp. The sound is startlingly accurate and clear, with bass that knocked a clock off the wall. That's something the Bose could never do (not that anyone in their right mind would go out of their way to achieve such an event!). To do over again, I would certainly buy Orb since the imaging is better, the bass is more precise, and the price is dramatically lower than a Bose system. The main drawback to the Bose set up is the very limited control one has over the sound; treble and bass controls are all you get, there are no other controls on the system itself. If you like the sound of Bose and don't intend on altering it, Bose is fine. Otherwise, go for a system that lets you set the sound up as YOU would want to hear it.

Gaband27
Unregistered guest
Alexander Lim,

Sounds like your dealer is just trying to con even more cash off you....a higher powered reciever wont make your Bose sound any better.

New speakers will solve your problems however. Listen to some real speakers in his demo room first, replace your Bose, then see how much your sound has improved. Then worry about upgrading your reciever. Guaranteed your Bose are the weak link in the chain.

Username: Smalldogus4

Usa

Anything that has sound coming out of it
is better than nothing. I just blew one of my
DB Plus speakers (no name, phenomenal sound).
So I had to pull the Bose (from storage) to temporarily replace it.

The DB Plus are actually better than my Polk towers.

Test the speakers. Don't be impulsive. Make
sure they can handle crank mode. Remember, the
store is OPTIMUM condidtions in those little
rooms. Mention your room design. Are you in
a sound studio or a garage ? Maybe we should
all listen to music in the bathroom....

Bronze Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 27
BOSE SUCKS! They are way overpriced, and do not sound good. My KLH speakers sound better than BOSE. And of course my JBL center channel sounds way better than BOSE. But im a JBL person. When i get the money i'm getting all JBL speakers.

So in other words don't waste your time or money with BOSE.

Anonymous

I have been using Bose AM10 for about 3 years now, I found it extremely good for a medium size room. I am happy with the passive BASS it provides and as far as clearity is concerned, its just right. I feel it depends upon your requirement to "customize" the original music, where BOSE is not that flexible. If you would like to listen to Original music with amplification and don't want to alter the bass & treble, then this is the one. However i agree to it being over priced. Bottomline.... I am keeping my set for now.

snst
Unregistered guest
I love classical and light music. Pop is also OK but the one which is not too noisy. I need speaker system preferably 5.1 which can meet my requirement of stereo music and my kids' requirement of home theatre for watching movies. I have shortlisted DENON 1705 AMP and Panasonic 578A-S dvd player. Room size 15 X 12 feet. My budget for speakers- US $1300 approx.I have short listed- 1.- KEF's Qcompact AV system , 2. CANTON LE series. You guys are in this field. How do u think about these two brands interms of reputation, quality and also value for money. I will buy them in INDIA. How Would u compare these 2 brands with AXIOM/ ANTHENA in case u want to suggest same quality and still easier on the pocket !

Unregistered guest
I just setup 2 rooms with 2 different Bose systems. An Acoustimass 15 in the family room for home theatre, and an Acoustimass 5 in the living room for music.

The 15 sounds amazing/awesome with great range and bass but the 5 sounds awful (no bass whatsoever). I want to keep the 15 but modify/replace the 5.

Any suggestions on how to keep the satellites but perhaps just replace the subwoofer?

Unregistered guest
Alright, i realize that you guys pretty much HATE bose speakers, and in some aspects i agree, if you by the AM 10 series III and hook the shitty bass module directly into your receiver, its going to sound horrible. those 5 1/4 woofers are good for one thing. and that is MID RANGE. thats it, period. they make the bose speakers act like LARGE speakers. The set up i am currently running in a mid sized room is the Bose AM 10 series III, with a Yamaha 5790 receiver along with an infinity 12" power sub, i think somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 watts. the sub is obviously running right off the preout from the receiver. i ran other speakes in the same room. polks i didnt quite like, the mirages i tried were alright, but slightly bulkier than the bose, and they all about cost same. i spent the time to correctly set up the bose in the room and changed all the settings in the amplifier to truly get the best sound of these things. if you can give me a better set up that costs 2000 or less for receiver speakers and sub that you feel sounds better, i defy you, been there done that. stop trashing bose sound and find me another speakers that reflects quite like these bose speakers done. feel free to email me if you do

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
To Jeff misled Bose Lover, JBL Jeff, JBL. JBL is way better than bose. You can get big speakers with dual tens or dual 15 inch woofers and they are 500 watts a peice. Or you can go with the dual ten inch floor speakers which sound really nice. Point being, I've heard bose speakers and they SUCK! I've heard JBL, and they are beautiful, looking and sounding, all for around the same price range. So in other words JBL is better/the best.

rat
Unregistered guest
First of all if you want to enjoy your bose speakers, you gotta know how to set them up right! Bose speakers are made to reflect sound of walls, in my home thetre set up, the rear channel speakers face the wall at a certain angle so that sound reflects off the wall behind the listener and hits the listener in his/her ears. As well you gotta set up the front channels according to a certain height... believe me it takes time etc. You will also need a high current reciever to make use of the speakers... once all is done correctly... you will understand what bose really is!

Fredjones
Unregistered guest
I am only getting sound out of the front right of Bose Acomutimass 5 module. The rest is dead. I plug the other 4 speakers into the front right and they work so it's gotta be the module. I'm trying to take the cover off without staving it up. Any ideas???
Thanks

Jeff_Bose_Lover
Unregistered guest
Rat i have to agree with you. You truly have to take the time to set up every speaker the proper way. Use the correct angling and such. Also, you should spend adaquete time setting up the speakers through the receiver. Very few people realize that bose acoustimass speakers have to be set as "large" speakers on the receiver due to the fact that every speaker runs through the bass module which really only acts as a midrange.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Why the heck would I waste my time setting up a speaker to be perfect, when I could get a JBL put where it needs to be and adjust the speaker settings in the menu, and get better sound than the bose speaker which took forever to set up? I see no reason to waste my time with Bose, they are too small and they dont sound good.

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 44
Bose are way to expensive! It's a matter of taste, but I still won't spend that type of money on them.

Rob Pot
Unregistered guest
For the same price +-1500 Cdn, I've been offered the following for my home theater:

PSB Alpha
Bose Ac10
Tannoy

what it the best choice.. ?

P.S. I plan to use a yamaha RxV-650 as a receiver

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
PSB Alpha.

DavidB
Unregistered guest
What a gold mine -- 9 months of Bose bashing -- for someone who just got sold the Bose 1-2-3 system for $1000 to go with my 50" Sony flatscreen and was none too impressed when I got it (the Bose) home. I think I saw the Axiom Epic 60 for $2200 on one site, and the guy at a high end shop just told me to start thinking at $2000 -- so my question is: what are the quality alternatives at $1000 for my budding home theatre (which is right now a 12x8 room)? Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Wow what a waste of money. Get JBL they have great speaker packages for $1000.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2432
DavidB
Try the Athena ASF-2, front main, with ASC-1, center and ASB-1, surround. Shop around, you can get these for around the budget you set.

DavidB
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Berny and MMJ. I'll look into both of those ideas. Right now, based in part on what I'm reading here, in part on their business model, and in part on a desire to just get it done, I'm thinking Orb Audio Mod I with a center speaker upgrade to Mod II, a Yamaha RX-V450 receiver, and the basic Yamaha DVD-S550. All that comes to $1230 (over budget -- of course). Am I going terribly wrong here anywhere or missing opportunities? I'm new at this but I really do care about sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2436
I don't see anything wrong with your choices. I haven't auditioned the Orbs so I can't make any assessments, but I've read good things about them.

cheers

Rob Pot
Unregistered guest
Guys,

What do you think of the Paradigm Cinema 90, Cinema 70, CinemaCC and Sub PDR-8 ?

Better or below the PSB Alpha ?

thnks for all your help ?

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
I use the PDR-8 and love it. really tight bass.

Cant comment on the rest of the speakers other than I would take them over bose any day

Username: Naves74

Sylva, NC United States

The problem with Bose is that they are just a name that everyone knows and has heard about from TV or at Circuit City. If you go to a Bose retail store. It is like going to a preschool. They dont answer your questions they only try to sell you inferior speakers at a higher price.

I went a to a Bose retail store recently and went through thier little tour on how the cubes are much brighter than floor standing speakers and all that gimic when they take the screens off and show you two small cubes.

They guy tried to tell me that Bose was making 3D sound. I asked him how was that and he couldnt explain. I asked him that the speakers wouuld need to be all over the room and not just 5.1 and he finally agreed.

They are not in it for the speakers and sound they are there to sell cheaply made paper cone speakers to ignorant rich people with no taste in sound.

dsquared
Unregistered guest
Im looking for a set of surround speakers that look
just as cool as the bose but with better sound. Any suggestions out there??

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
Klipsch Reference RSX-3, RSX-4, and RSX-5.

The RSX-5 has a 5 1/4 inch woofer, the 4 has a 4.5 inch, and the 3 a 3.5 inch. ALL of these speakers will give you sound MILES ahead of the bose, and look STUNNING to boot!

If you are looking for mains, I reccomend the RSX-5's and 4's

The 3's can only be had in a HT package.

ALL of these speakers produce sound that is way ahead of the synergy line that you can find at Best Buy, with nice smooth tweeters, and really tight "bass," because there isnt any. The 5's only go to 90hz, so you had better have a nice sub to go with them.

Gavin

Unregistered guest
hi everyone i would just like to chuck in some very important points i am a serious home cinema and music fanatic and have owned nearly all the speakers you mention above and yes there are better alternatives if you go into a registered bose outlet please be aware that it is a registered outlet and they chose to be a bose seller if they thought the bose systems were inferiour i dont think they would be selling them in the first place i am not a bose dealer but i do buy and sell bose products on a second hand part time basis in now own a bose acoustimass 15 series 1 system and replaced the cubes with a vcs10 centre speaker and 25 year old am5s for the front i also use mission rears in a room 15ftx15ft and i believe this is probably the best sounding system i have ever had the bose sub sounds fantastic with any high end speaker system and has reliability to boot also all bose speakers come with a 5 year warranty i have owned them all 201s,301s,501s,901s,100s,am3,am5,am10,am15 and the bose 321 system as far as sound quality and reliability goes the 321 sucks the 201s are seriously lacking in mid range and the 901s are just plain to big but the quality is good i have owned high end floor standers and yes they are fantastic but as with all systems there are other factors to consider i will say the lifestyle systems are a complete waste of money and the money would be better spent on a budget amp/cd and a dvd player please bear in mind anyone whos thinking of buying a new speaker system that bose in particular are very biast as to what they want you to hear on these systems so take your own preference along to hear what you want to hear if you dont like it dont buy it choose something else the only good thing about buying new bose gear is there 14 day money back warranty as with all systems they dont always sound the same when you get them home i have used this facility many times without any problem i am a serious music listener and a very big floyd fan i also enjoy action films for the soundtrack if nothing else and would just like to add that the new accoustimass modules are absolutely useless at delivering the goods so yet again its down to preference all i can say to the person who started the discussion you have to hear the system in your price range using your own material in your own enviroment and take time to decide whats best for you dont decide on price alone bearing in mind you may have the system for many years and a proper install can take a long time so i hope this may help some people and i hope i have not offended anyone coming from an honest audiophile giving my honest opinion cheers pete

TPE
Unregistered guest
A audiophile pays attention to numbers also. Bose just does not put out the numbers, they dont even make a true sub...check the numbers. Fact is they wouldnt be such a target if they didnt have 1st class marketing, they were the first to push the cubes made (and still do) alot of money. They are priced at a level that someone who does not know what they are looking for can set a financial goal for them and reason the cost to be a good product. No highs, no lows, must be a....

hihi
Unregistered guest
I would like to know how to disable or lower down the bass sound of the front two speakers as the bass produced by the front speakers seems to be affecting the music that i'm listening.however,i already had a subwoofer and what settings should i do in order to direct all the bass sound only to the subwoofer??my ampifier's model is yamaha RX-V450 AV Receiver
Please reply me soon.thank you

TampaAl
Unregistered guest
I have an Onkyo SR502 with Bose AM7(left/right cubes and sub), Bose 301 surrounds and Polk CS1 center. all in all it sounds very good. I get adequate base but would like more. does anyone know if I can add an additional sub to the subwoofer preout on my SR502?? can the Onkyo handle it or will it screw anything else up? will I get more base?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2735
If your receiver has an output for a subwoofer, your Onkyo can handle that task. Make sure it is a powered sub.

Username: Wingnut4772

Miami, Florida Usa

I considered Bose when I was a green newbie and I am very glad I did my homework. Now I have a killer home theater and no Bose!

Username: Brandzip

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 5
Bose spends a whole lot on marketing.

We seem to be a society that needs positive marketing to 'help' us make up our collective minds. Their form of 'lobbying' is no different than has been used in politics throughout all history.
They want you to feel that you have 'done the right thing' by purchasing and using their products.
This has very little to do with actual performance.
Marketing is expensive.
Many products you use are marketed this way.
It becomes difficult, in almost any product category, to discern a really good product from 'stretched' truths of others. (Hummmm. This almost sounds political)
Certainly listen to what critics have to say. As 'Deep-Throat' said in the Watergate scandal...'follow the money'. If reviewers have the products in their magazines advertisements or have engaged with lawsuits from the companies...beware.

Now, after this entire soapbox tirade, my own recommendations.

For small, inexpensive, very high quality surround sound speakers:
HSU Ventriloquist VT-12
http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html
I haven't even heard these, but I have their top products and highly respect them.
This is a company that backs up their statements and offers excellent products.

Straight goods
Unregistered guest
ALthough I didn't have the patients to read all of your gripes about BOSE I'm sure they were all pretty much similar in contenet as I've heard them all.
I'm soory to announce but I AM A BOSE EMPLOYEE and while I do agree with most beef about our product i.e. price, quality, performance, HI's, LOW"S. I will defend some of thier product such as their floorstanders (701 II, 601 IV) or their limited edition bookshelfs (301 sonanta 1988 piono finish very rare) although these are still overpriced they do provide a reasonably high quality sound depending on what you put into them. Keep in mind, you can have the best speakers in the world and they'll sound like CACA depending on what you put into them. You can make crap speakers sound like gems with the right amp and processing.

P.S. I dislike Bose asmuch as you do>

TampaAl
Unregistered guest
berny-thx for the info. I'm thinking about going with a polk pws-12 sub. any better choices in the $350-400 price range? I could go to $500 if it will make that much of a difference.

TampaAl
Unregistered guest
berny-thx for the info. I'm thinking of going with a polk pws-12 or mission ms8 sub. any other good choices in the $350-400 price range? I can go to $450-500 if it will get me a lot better performance.

Unregistered guest
How important to have digital/optical inputs on a receiver for the better sounds?

I do have an old Pioneer surround capable receiver but it does not have a digital input and am contemplating to get a new one with it. Curious to find out if the digital input has a strong impant (GOOOD ROI?)producing better quality of sound on my new Bose AM15.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2760
TampaAl,
Check out the offerings from HSU subs and Velodyne. I think that they are much better subs for the money that you are willing to spend.

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 473
Berny
just how many type of speaker are there
that one area i know where little about

DavidB
Unregistered guest
Hey Berny and all,
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice back in January. I bought the Orbs for my home theater and I think they sound awesome with my Sony 50" HD. Now if Comcast could get their act together and send out a consistent digital feed (and if I could just wade through all my manuals so I can get my components all on the same page), all will be well! Anyway, thanks again for this resource.

Anonymous

hello
recently i have bought Bose 301 V acoustimass home theatre speakers, can u recommend me any amplifier for the same. Is there any amplifier available with DVD player and radio tuner built in compatible to this model.

Anonymous

Hi can u recommend me any amplifier for the Bose AM3 IV Black
Acoustimas 3 Series IV Black Speaker System
Bose:
Outpost #: 2743653
Is there any amplifier available with DVD player and radio tuner built in compatible to this model.

Wu Mingxian
Unregistered guest
Hi
I use Bose AM10 iii match with Yamaha HTR 5740
that is ok or not pleae advice
Thank you

Jayb
Unregistered guest
Maybe it's just me but when a BOSE employee gets on here and tells us that BOSE, his own product is crap, that would tend to say don't buy it. would anyone agree!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us