Username: Swhang

Post Number: 3
I just saw it on preorder on jr.com.

Stats are...
135 * 6
220 watt subwoofer w/a 10 inch woofer.

And guess what the price is?

$449.

That's ridiculous. The HTIB market is now unfair, all the other ones that cost less than $700 or so is no competition. Anyone who buys another HTIB system is ignorant.

You're in disbelief? Just look at it... search for HTS770 on jr.com and you'll see it to your unbeleif.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 572
such is life. Just move on!

Bronze Member
Username: Blue_g

Post Number: 11
I wonder if I can still return the HT-S760 I just bought for $350!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
hmmmmm......your stats don't add up:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S770&p=f&class=Systems

Username: Swhang

Post Number: 4
hmmm... strange. the specs on the onkyousa and jr.com don't match. perhaps it's just the way the watts are measured.

the onkyo site's specs show no difference between the 760 and 770.

even the woofer... 10 inch on JR. 8 inch on OnkyoUSA.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
that is odd, what's the diff, other than "770" vs. "760"?

"New for 2004, and extra *10* on the model number." WOW

onkyo_fan
Unregistered guest
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: HT-S770 related question from Onkyo website

The main differences (between 760 and 770) are pro-logic 2x (which converts a 2-channel sound into a 6.1 channel sound) and the receiver will be rated at 130 watts per channel.

Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support,
if you need further Assistance feel free to call us at 800-229-1687.

New_onkyo_fan
Unregistered guest
Yeah, Onkyo posted the 760 specs on the 770 Info page. IF you read the press release, it confirms the new specs. I just ordered it from jr.com and cant wait. I also ordered the 6disc onkyo changer for $108 (factory refurb). Press release: http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/hts04.html

Anonymous

Doesn't the 760 also have the ability to convert 2-channel to 6.1 sound? If so then the only differences I can see between the two are the higher power rating and a couple extra inputs on the 770.

pongpan
Unregistered guest
760: Prologic II 100W/CH
770: Prologic IIx 130W/CH

New_Onkyo_Fan
Unregistered guest
And a larger sub 8" 150w to 10" 220w. Also, speakers look better.

prospective buyer
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to setup the 770 to use only 5 speakers? I currently live in a small apartment where there's no space for the center-rear behind my couch. But I will be moving in a year to a bigger place... so I'd rather get the 6.1 setup for the future. Is this doable?

Alexander
Unregistered guest
yes, just hook the 5 up and set it to 5.1, not a problem at all.

OnkyoHTfan
Unregistered guest
Isn't the receiver in the HT-S770 actually the
new TX-SR502 (Pro Logic IIx) which sells for $300?
Its called the HT-R520 here, and apparently has been bumped from 100w to 130w, but appears identical otherwise. So you're getting a 6.1
speaker system for $150 or so? Also, can anyone who has or has seen the HT-S770 tell me if the
remote control (RC-570M) is the same as that of
the TX-SR502 (RC-567M)? Would also like to make sure the HT-R520 receiver is not lacking any other features...the speaker connects are posts, not clips, etc. Gotta have this...

It's_me
Unregistered guest
I have the 770 and the remote is identical to the 502's remote. And yes, it has posts on the receiver, not clips. Thumbs up on this system.

Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Hi It's_me - Where did you buy your 770 from and for how much ? How do you rate it ?

Thanks

It's_me
Unregistered guest
I got it at JR.com for $449 w/ free shipping. How do I rate it?? If i heard this in the store without knowing the price, I would have paid $2000 for it. It is really amazing! I am overwhelmed that you can buy this for $450. It has a much deeper and warmer sound than any of its "satellite" competition.

OnkyoHTfan
Unregistered guest
Crutchfield has the 770 in stock, black only, for
$499. J & R is still taking pre-orders at $449
(free shipping) and has it in silver...anyone seen
the 770 in stock online in silver at $450? The only place I've seen with choice of black vs. silver is direct from Onkyo ($500)...need to buy asap, but want the silver version.

also, regarding my earlier post, both Onkyo and Crutchfield sites list the TX-SR502 at 75wX6, not
100w as I said...I was confused because Onkyo's site lists the 770 as both 100wX6:http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Systems&m=HT-S770&p=i
AND as 130wX6:http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S770&p=f&class=Systems

just trying to clarify, 100w, 130w, this is THE
system at $450!

It's_me
Unregistered guest
Ok, first off, Onkyo will not be shipping the silver for 3 more weeks (at least)!! The receiver is not the same as the 502. The way the power is measured on these 2 receivers are different. They pretty much are the same core etc though. It is indeed 130w per ch and the sub is 220w and 10". Onkyo has been very slow at putting the correct info on their site. I have spoken to the direct many times and the website is seldomly updated and is full of other mistakes as well. :-(

Post Number: 5
It's_me - what DVD player did you add to your system or what do you recommend for the 770 - trying to save some $ and not go for the Onkyo complementary model

It's_me
Unregistered guest
I picked up an Onkyo cp701 refurb to match my system. Its a 6disc carousel progressive scan. Its a factory refurb from ecost.com. $108 w/ free shipping!!! I know what you are thinking.."holy crap, thats a sweet deal". I received it and the reason it was a refurb was "cosmetic scratch" It had a slight scratch on the side. It was sooo small I chuckled. It is mint. They have black and silver. You can also buy a brand new one at onecall.com on clearance for $159 + $18 shipping.

Username: Dmisterj

AmabEcuador

Post Number: 1
Can someone help me telling me which is the aprox. weight of HT-S770.
I look in internet but i cant found anywhere this weight, including package and accesories.
thanks a lot.

Username: Daddyrabbit

I can check my box later but I think shipping weight is approx 120 lbs.

It's_me
Unregistered guest
yep 120.

Post Number: 8
Gene - where did you pick up your 770 and price ?

Thanks

Post Number: 6
Ordered mine through Crutchfield at the MSRP of $499 (the 760 was $449). I didn't want to risk a refurbished so I paid full price. Shipping was freight at 15.99 and took exactly a week (Fri - Fri) but throw in Memorial Day weekend and it was really 4 days, not bad. The DVD came in 3 days free UPS shipping since I ordered them seperately.

I've seen mention of JRs selling them for $449.00 but I'm not sure...

It's_me
Unregistered guest
I got mine from JR.com, 449 delivered. Everything went extremely smooth and had it delivered in 3 days. Very happy with the deal!!!

Jess
Unregistered guest
To the guy who wants the 770 in Silver; They have about 20 of them at Frys Electronics in Renton, WA. I was just there about 2 hours ago (6-5-04). The price for the 770 is 499.99 in black or silver and they have both colors.

Username: Dmisterj

AmabEcuador

Post Number: 2
can someone give a link for the 770's Owners manual, i cant find it in onkyo homepage
thanks

Post Number: 9
I don't believe they've put it up for download yet.

If there is something specific you want to know let me know and I'll look it up.

bjc
Unregistered guest
A couple questions for everybody:

1. Has anybody seen the 770 for lower than $500 at a place other than J&R? I ordered mine from J&R for $450 b/c of the low price and free shipping, but it's on back order and I probably won't get it until July. The anticipation is killing me. Is there any retailer that has it in stock for a comparable price?

2. Is anybody using the Onkyo AS-510 stands with their 770 or 760? If so, are they any good? Onkyo is offering free AS-510 stands with the purchase of the 770. If they have it in stock and if the stands are decent, then I could get the system sooner and free stands too.

Thanks!

Movie fan
Unregistered guest
Is the new Onkyo HT-S770 that much better than the HT-S760?

Username: Cthulhu

Lewisville Dallas, Texas

"Is the new Onkyo HT-S770 that much better than the HT-S760?"

see this thread: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/56319.html

Edster
Unregistered guest
Instead of $500 for the HT-S770, I'd spend $250 on the Onkyo TX-SR502 (basically same receiver) from JnR plus $100 on refurb Onkyo HT-510 speaker system at eCost.com, the SR502 has a learning remote which the HT-S770 receiver doesn't I think, plus a few more features though slightly less RMS.

bhizzle
Unregistered guest
Yer all missin it. HT-S760, $230 at PC Mall, Refurb, Pick it up in Torrance CA, no shipping. Year Warranty, "$700" sound. And thats the Bottom Line...

B

rklenovi
Unregistered guest
My circuit city just got one in. Is there any reason that I shouldn't buy it, you know because it's probably one of the first ones made? Should I wait until they've been out for a while? Or does it make no difference. Also, does the reciever have and auto format decoding feature for DVd's and satellite channels with 5.1.

Thanks

KansasFarmBoy
Unregistered guest
Just bought at Nebraska Furniture Mart - $449 on "Forth of July" sale. Speaker wire comes color coded (nice touch), but you may want to upgrade the wire - store was using and recommending 16 gauge.

Dux
Unregistered guest
Onkyo is selling the silver ones now on their website. They have been in low supply but finally came out. Get em before they can ship out. $489.99 after registering on their site. Not a bad deal. Plus you get 25 other points (1 point = 1 dollar store credit) if you want to buy some AV cables and what not.

Dux
Unregistered guest
They're gone already... gotta be quick.

Username: Gluyas

Anaheim , California USA

Anyone knows if there's another place that has it in silver? They're gone from the Onkyio site.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Edster indicated that the SR502 has a learning remote. I wish that were true so that I could teach it a thing or two. I can't get it to work with my JVC DVD. It will turn it on and stop it but wont play. Will even naviage DVD menu but wont select. Any ideas on how to fix? Remote is model RC-567M. I just purchase at circuit city Saturday for $290 w/tax.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
The remote with the 770 is the RC-570M not the 567M and is not a learning remote. The receiver in the 770 is the 520 not the 502. You might get a quicker answer posting in the "receivers" or "remote controllers" forums.

Luck

RyanJJ
Unregistered guest
Will Onkyo update their shop with more Silver models in the coming months?

Username: Gjm5w

Speaking of the silver onkyo 770's, what are the speaker shells made of exactly. Are they wood painted silver/grey, or are they plastic. I am not a fan of the black speakers, which are wood painted black.

Also, one more note, is the 770's receiver really the same as the tx-sr501? I figured the 501 only gives 75 watts per channel, as opposed to the 770's, which gives 130 per channel.

Someone give me the right info.

Kipp
Unregistered guest
Hey, George.

First, to George, I don't think it's the exact same as the tx-sr501. That being said, however, everyone I talk to seems to think that 130 wpc is not *really* a huge noticable difference from 100wpc, so go figure on that one.

Second, to Ryan, got an email from Onkyo today. I don't know about any *new* models, but the HT-S777 (silver) will be shipping soon, probably sometime in September.

(For those who don't know, the 777 is simply the 770, but adding a DVD changer to the box Same way with the 600's - the 677 is the 670 with DVD player).

Not a biggie, but it'll save those of us the extra hassle of finding the Onkyo 6-disc DVD to got with our silver 770's.

HTS770
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 770 last 7/5/04 from Fry's Electronics for $499.99. I got the black one. Didn't know that there is a silver color for this set, it should have matched my silver HDTV and silver Sony DVD player. Anyway the performance of 770 is still great even it will not match the color of my other electronics. 770 has a lot of power to give. I like the sound decoding options specially, the PLIIx mode.
Remote control is pre-programmed, I was able to program it to work on my HDTV and DVD player. Now I have to hold only one remote.

One thing that I noticed for the HTR520 rcvr is that, if I have a DTS DVD movie, I can't forced it to play under DTS-ES sound mode. What the rcvr does, is that it only decodes the movie on its recorded format. I'm not sure if this is normal thing.

Username: Gaurav013

MontrealCanada

Hi,

Would like to purchase a Onkyo HT-S770 ot HT-S760 in Canada ( Montreal), Anybdy pls let me know if there is a Canadian Web site or a store where i can pick it up from

Thanks

Gaurav

Username: Tklett

FYI

I just picked up the HT-S770 at Circuit City for just over $400, plus an additional $50 off with a mail-in rebate. (They are having a 5 hour sale and all home theater systems are on sale.) I was waiting for the silver model, but I just couldn't pass up this good of a deal. I can't wait to get it home tonight!

Nikhil
Unregistered guest
I bought the 770 yesterday from CC. $450 - $50 MIR = $400. The 770s were not on display yet, but when asked, the CC guy told me that they have them in the store. It was too big to fit in my car- the CC guy helped me unpack the system and load the items individually. The 770 speakers are much better looking than 760. I was amazed by the deep pleasant sound, its worth every dollar spent.

Can anybody tell me how to program the hts770 remote for the tv and the dvd player please.

Jigs
Unregistered guest
Just picked up the 770 from the Circuit City 5 hour sale as well. Came in it at about $404 pre-tax before the rebate. The link to the $50 rebate doesn't appear to be working though. Anyone have any more luck then me (I did find the rebate for the 760 but I'm guessing that is not close enough). I'll post back with first impressions once I have it home and setup.

Vinny
Unregistered guest
I ordered the HTS770 from CC for $404.99. CC has a 5 hours sale on 7/12. Free shipping and after tax comes out to be 429.29 plus a 50 MIR.

Jigs
Unregistered guest
To update on the Circuit City price... online customer service said the $50 MIR does not apply to the 770, only the 760. Supposedly the link was a mistake. If anyone manages to get a better response, I'll be happy to be corrected.

Username: Tklett

I got around the rebate link problem by going directly to http://www.circuitcityrebates.com/ and entering Y4119 as the Program Number. The type of rebate is stated as Circuit City $50 Home Theater Rebate and makes no mention of any specific product. I am going to mail it in and see what happens. Even if it doesn't work, this is still a great buy.

Vinny
Unregistered guest
Online customer service told me to call local CC and request for MIR form but local CC can't print MIR form because I didn't order locally... c22. So I'm hoping CC will fix the broken link soon. And yeah after I told local CC the model no (770) he said there's a MIR.

Vinny
Unregistered guest
That Program Number (Y4119) is for HTS760.

----------------------------
$50 Mail In Rebate With
Purchase of ONK HTS760
PROGRAM NO. Y4119
----------------------------

Username: Tomltoons

Brooklyn, NY

I have Cerwin Vega 12 inch front speakers with my old av receiver. They are great sounding especially that I like music more then movies. Want to buy the 770 after all my homework. The question is do you think I could or should use them as the fronts just eliminating the fronts that come with the 770.Need some input from you guys. Tom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
People - I don't want to rain on anyone's parade - but people seem soooo focused on how cheap they can find the 770 for that they are forgetting one HUGE thing - how good does it really sound ? I can tell you that the speaker systems use indifferent components, thin, resonant cabinets and produce an overly warm, colored sound. Mid-range is very colored - high's sound bandwidth limited and bass is very inacurate, undynamic and exhibits a one-note characteristic.

The new SKS-HT240's are a totally different animal and rate very highly - by myself and CNET's new review of them.

Read my posts on the 240's.

I don't see the 770's as a "real deal" - I see it as buying a VERY expensive receiver - because many will junk the speakers after a short period.

Go and listen - use some revealing audio material and see for yourself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1054
Tom,
If you like the Cerwin Vegas, just use them. Or make a comparison and see which one you'll like.

Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for your opinions. I will still do a bit more research. If I do opt for better speakers like the ht240 then I have to start looking at at different receiver. Maybe the Onkyo TXSR 701. I can see this will be a lot more money to invest. I will still keep my Cerwins I can see that all ready. I am very particular in sound especially for music end. Or just go with this 770 and upgrade speakers next year. So confused! Tom

Username: Wankertank

I work for CC, and rebate for HTS770 has just been put online this morning. Here is link http://www.circuitcity.com/cs_contentdisplay.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&incat=97461

BethJax
Unregistered guest
Circuit City rebate link has been fixed. Rebate code for the 770 is Y4134. Rebate brings the total down to $354 with the 5-hour special deal!

Brooklyn, NY

I missed the 5 hour sale(do you think they will have this item again?) If not the price of 449 and then a 50 rebate sounds still good to me. I think I am going to order it. Tom

It's_me
Unregistered guest
Yes They will, generally once or twice a week, the 5-hr sale will include Home Theater Systems. I would check CC.com every day. The rebate goes until the end of the month.

Brooklyn, NY

Thanks. I will try and wait a bit. Getting itchy though. Tom

Username: Morg

Here's the deal you were itching for, Tom.
Circuitcity.com shows the 770 for 449.99 plus tax ($484.86 in TX) AND a $50 mail-in. End result $434.86 including tax with FREE SHIPPING or express pick up locally. Picking it up at lunch!

Brooklyn, NY

I am going to order it today. Do you think I need the monster cable for the subwoofer. They have 16 and 25ft. I need the 25 but want to know if it is necessary for the sub (30 bucks). I have monster for my fronts all ready. I did read on one review somewhere that it did sound better with the monster. Any one else know of this? Hows the one it comes with? Tom

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
Anyone who owns the silver model, what are the speakers made out of? Is it just wood painted silver/grey?

Nikhil
Unregistered guest
Yes, the silver model speaker cabinets are made of wood painted silver.

Anonymous

CC now shows the price at $499.99 minus a savings of $95.00 = 404.99 plus tax. Minus MIR of $50.00 = $354.99. Shows not to be available online so will have to be picked up locally.

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 6
I just purchased the 770 because of the 5 hour sale and rebate today...354.00 wow what a steal. Glad I waited the extra 2 days thanks to It's Me who wrote that they might put it in the 5 hour sale again. Thanks It's Me! Picking it up today. I also ordered the 25ft monster cable for the sub woofer which was also on sale. Real cool. Can't wait. Tom

snowpea
Unregistered guest
I am thinking about ordering the HT-S777C from crutchfield for $699, but it's black, (silver is the first choice). Does anyone know when the silver version might be available?
Or if I just buy the HT-S770 in silver (499) and then buy the DV-CP702S (199) is that essentially the same system?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Exactly the same....

snowpea
Unregistered guest
Just went to CC, they don't have the silver 770, neither does crutchfield, or the onkyo website. Does anyone know where I can find the silver 770?

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 7
jandr.com has the silver for 499. Tom

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3982148

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 8
I paid 404.00 minus a 50.00 rebate at CC for the Black and no shipping either. 354.00 total. Its ashame to pay that much more for the silver. Also make sure to purchase the sub monster cable and the optical cable for the DVD player. Tom

snowpea
Unregistered guest
J&R is showing the silver out of stock also. CC is selling the black one at $499 minus $50 rebate now, so it's not as big of a savings anymore.
I called up crutchfield to order a TV (sony 34xbr910), they had it in stock for $1999 w/ free shipping and a free stand. The customer service person was very nice, she offer to call up Onkyo to check on the status of the silver 770 and/or 777C. Hoping to hear good news from them tomorrow.
Also called up J&R and the customer service person said they are expecting the 770 and the matching dvd player both in silver in about 7-10days. Wonder if this is true.

snowpea
Unregistered guest
I think I figure out a way around this.
If I just buy the

Receiver TX-SR502S
DVD player DV-CP702S
Speaker system SKS-HT520

all in silver for $644.86 w/ free shipping, would this be the same as getting the HT-S777C in silver?

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 9
No. The 502 is only 75 watts/ch while the 770 is 130 watts/ch. I almost bought the TXSR701 at 100 watts/ch and has thx and some other features. Wait out the 770 in silver.

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 10
Also, call the CC's near you, because when I was looking for the 770 it said it was not available at a few places including the Staten Island one. I called them at Staten Island anyway and they said they had 5 in stock. I don't know if any were silver though.

snowpea
Unregistered guest
Call the CC around here, still no luck. J&R is selling the 777C in black for $649, starting to sound very tempting now, since buying the 770S and the DVD player seperately would cost about $700.

Username: Kipp

Yah, guys - according to a manager with Circuit City, they don't even carry the silver 770...and that's the ENTIRE Circuit City chain.

Sounds like someone needs to get in touch with their customers, if you ask me...

sidewinder
Unregistered guest
I bought it during the Circuit City 5hr sale and also used the Best Buy 10% coupon I got in the mail and they took off another $40. Total after rebate will be $315. Now thats HOT.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 11
I put it all together Friday. I started playing with it. I hooked up my new Harmon Kardon DVD22 player to it. AWESOME. Best word to describe it. Still learning to use it. One thing though for me, I kept my Cerwin Vegas AT12's for the fronts. A bit overpowering, so you can bring up the volumes (DBs) for all the other speakers manually through the remote. WOW! Blew me away. Still learning the settings to use for certain DVDs and CDs. Confusing here and there for best sound. Definitely buy the optical for your DVD player and the monster cable for the sub. Also, can any one tell me why you should connect tv to receiver (video portion of it)? I can only use s-video for mine because I have a 40 inch direct Mitsubishi from 7 years ago, but I still want to know the purpose of connecting tv any way. Sound is one thing but whats purpose of video part. Tom

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
Tom,
Connecting the video to the receiver is nothing more than convenience, not really necessary unless your receiver can upsample to higher resolution.
Have fun with your new toy!

sidewinder
Unregistered guest
Also helps if your TV has limited number of jacks.

sidewinder
Unregistered guest
Got a question does routing video through the receiver degrade the picture quality? Also does video still feed to the TV if the receiver is powered off?

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 12
Just for the fun of it I clicked on Circuit City logo on my AOL screen today for possible savings it said and I came across the Onkyo 770 again and to my suprise the price went way up. It is now listed at 549.00 minus a 50.00 rebate. What a rippoff. Don't understand it. Glad I bought it at 150.00 less. Tom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Sidewinder,

Quality seems fine to me with component, and yes video still feeds through with amp off.

Username: Mp906

Newbie here. Getting ready to order a 777C.

Anyway, this is off topic, but would it be possibleto refinish the speaker boxes to natural wood color...i.e. strip off the black paint, sand, and use a stain???

Thanks

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 13
I am a painting contractor and I don't think it will be easy to do that. Probably near impossible. To strip them would mean that you would have to take them apart. The stripping would eat away the woofers and tweeters. I do think you can oil prime them and paint them being that it seems to be black paint on them now. Leave well enough alone. So they stick out. That's the real beauty of it. Tom

MontrealCanada

I also just checked .. CircuitCity has increased the price .. it is now selling the HT-S770 for $549 after $50 rebate ... :-( .. i was planning to pick it up from the Store in Atlanta :-(... Is there any other store where i can pick it up from ?

Unregistered guest
sounds like the CC 5 hour sale is the cheapest way to get this system. 1. when does CC typically have their 5 hour sale? 2. is it at the store, online or both?

klm
Unregistered guest
Didn't know Silver was so hot and hard to get. I bought the silver model at Frys on July 4th, ($399+tax), but returned it the next day. Frys immediately marked it down to $379.

I think it's a great deal but high frequency is lacking for music. My 4 years old Yamaha pianocarft micro-system sounds better at that range, so it makes me wonder if I should get a better home theatre system. I decided to go for higher end stuff, and ended up getting the Polk RM7600.

If I had a 2nd room need a home theatre system, I'll get this again.

Username: Sleepingbag

Clarks Summit, Pa

Yamaha 5740($300 [more or less]) SKS-HT240($350.[more or less].)

Please let me know if you think this is worth the extra money compared to the 770. I'd like to hear from an owner of a 770.
Here are links for you lazy people.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S770&p=i&class=Systems
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=ONSKSHT240&is=REG&Q =&O=productlist&sku=325891
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR-5740.htm#
Thanks for any help,
-sleepingbag

MontrealCanada

Pls keep us posted about the 5 hr sale on CC for HT-S770

new guy here
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, dont know if there are any speaker experts here, but i just got the 770 a week ago ( i happen to work at CC as well and i got it for 430 ) but im having trouble getting the Dolby Digital to run correctly. I have the receiver running with fiber optical monster cable into a Samsung HD841 DVI dvd player. For some reason, when you set the dvd player on BitStream(which is the channel that allows digital signals), the center channel contains all of the vocal elements in the mix and they are ridiculously low, basically it sounds like overhearing someone talking on the phone from far away. adjusting small or large doesnt work, its wired correctly, adjusting the levels of the speakers wont change it, im like out of options, unless someone here knows what to do. please help me out if you can, lord of the rings 2 depends on it haha. thanks everyone.

Nikhil
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,
Does anybody feel that the HT-S770 is lacking the desired treble level? The system is great with high bass output, however, somehow I don't hear the crispness in the sound. The treble setting is not as good as I had expected it to be. There are lot of audio modes available and also bass and db settings, I wish something can be done to increase the treble. (I tried keeping the treble to +12, but reducing the bass to -12 does not do justice to the output) I have kept the subwoofer knob at medium position which gives enough throb. Can somebody help me with guidelines as to how i could increase treble keeping the bass and sub settings at average levels?

My another concern is about the front speakers. When I listen to them closely, the sound is sooooo feeble that it breaks inbetween. Only the center speaker seems to be strong at most modes. Does 130W output really go to each of these speakers? I changed the wires to 14 gauge, but no difference at all!!!

I am beginning to think that this HT is good only for dolby movies and not for music cds at all. What do you guys think?

Many thanks.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 14
Well....I kept my large Cerwin Vega's for the fronts...they are three way with big 12 inch woofers. That does make a difference when playing music, but still does not have the high blasting sound of my old Kenwood av receiver top of line 12 years ago with true 130 watts per channel. I know what you mean about not sounding right for music. I guess you have to live with it. I guess it is also lacking a full EQ which I miss from my Kenwood. The thing that I do is put up the dbs individual for each of the rear speakers. I have to put the rears up to 10 or12 dbs and keep fronts really low especially the center one. My fronts do sound awesome still for music but not as great as I want them to be. Still a lot better then the fronts they give you. Maybe you can borrow someones larger speakers to hear how they sound. Preferbaly like Cerwin, Polk or Infinity. I think they are all American made. Yamahas and Sony speakers suck. I tested them all one time or another. Yamahas, Sony and Onkyo don't give off the high Db's like the other ones. Trust me on that. All in all I do believe quality front is the way to go. Tom

Nickhil
Unregistered guest
Your suggestions did help improve the sound quality a lot. Thanks Tom.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 15
Your welcome Nickhil. By the way, Circuit City lowered the price again today. I can't figure out how they choose to go up and down on their price for this. Seems like they tried to rip off people over the last week or so and it did not work. LOL! I see that there is no more 5 hour sale any more. Tom
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us