Official Onkyo S760 vs. S770 Thread

Username: Cthulhu

Lewisville Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1
i've been noticing a lot of posts asking what EXACTLY the difference is between the S760 and the S770. i wondered myself to tell you the truth. so i did some research and made a list.

Click here for the comparison

the major differences are more power, bigger sub, more inputs, SLIGHTLY larger speakers, cosmetic differences on the speakers and a larger and MUCH better remote. pics are on the above link. IMO, given a $50 price difference, there is NO comparison...S770 all the way. but my problem comes in that Fry's has the S760 for $329.00 right now. $329 vs. $499 is a much harder decision... :-(

any additions/problems...let me know. :-)

jottle111
Unregistered guest
There is one mistake with your comparison. The S760 does indeed have inputs for dvd-a and sacd compatibility. I just checked the back of my receiver to verify this.

Username: Delirium

Post Number: 4
I was listening to a S770, and it does not sound bright enough for me. I was listening to music not a movie. Also, the bass seems VERY weak for me, there is no punch... perhaps this HTIB setup is better for movies & not for music? Anyone else experience the severe lack of punchiness from the sub on the S770?

Username: Cthulhu

Lewisville Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 2
jottle - fixed... :-)

delirium - i'd be willing to bet that the system wasn't set up correctly. :D

reddx
Unregistered guest
actually guys if you really want it cheap, ecost.com has a refurb 760 for $200.

bhizzle
Unregistered guest
ACTUALLY if you dont want to spend $140 on shipping and you live near LA PC Mall has it for 230, and you can pick it up at their store in Torrance. I got 2, 1 for me and one for a friend. 2 for the price of 1 basically. Peace.

b

reddx
Unregistered guest
no, the ecost refurb is shipped free, as are all of their orders above $25.

It's_me
Unregistered guest
WRONG! Read the details. Its up to a certain weight limit. 40lbs

Kipp
Unregistered guest
So in Cthulhu's first msg, he/she posted that the qestion became much tougher when the 760 went for $329, versus the 770's $449...

Given reddx and bhizzle's posts about the 760 going for around $230, is there anyone out there who would still pay the $449 for the 770 instead of picking up the cheaper, slightly-older model?

(In case you can't tell, you're speaking to a newbie to the world of home theater. Speak slowly, and enunciate every syllable, and maybe I'll get it...) ;)

Kipp
Unregistered guest
Forgot to mention - I think the biggest points of contention are the following. The question is, are they worth spending the extra $200?

- Dolby Pro Logic II versus Dolby Pro Logic IIx
- apparently much nicer remote
- except for coax digital and component video, 770 has more input space all-around
- more powerful speakers - the 770's satellites pack 30 more watts apiece than the 760, and its subwoofer is bigger and pushes 70 more watts

So I know what all of that means on paper...I think. But how much of a difference in the actual sound will there be? (well, that applies to all but the remote question, which will obviously be noticeable, and the input question, which will obviously be a bit limiting. But in your experience, how limiting are these things?). How much of a difference does Dolby IIx make, and how much better will the extra wattage make the whole experience?

Then again, the whole thing may be pointless if I can't find the 760 in silver for cheap, anyway.

Thoughts? Opinions?

jottle111
Unregistered guest
Maybe someone on this board can help me with this problem. I'm having a heck of a time with my ht s760 receiver. I have taken it into two separate authorized repair centers and neither one of them has been able to locate the problem. Essentially the receiver intermittently goes into amp protection mode and shuts off by itself (even when nothing is connected to it). If the unit is cold and I turn it on, it will shut off after 5 minutes consistently. then if I turn the unit back on after it has automatically shut down, the unit will work fine for the rest of the day. If the receiver is shut off for a couple house and gets cold, then the next time I turn it on (say the next evening when I get home from work) the unit will shtu off in amp protection mode again. This is pretty consistent but does not happen all the time (hence the repair centers not finding anything). I've called Onkyo to no avail. they recommend me sending my receiver (I pay shipping charges) to their regional repair center in Utah. I refuse to do this because the cetner may just send back the unit with the same lack of results. Does anyone know if I can convince Onkyo to give me a replacement? This is getting ridiculous. Or do I just have to keep going back to the repair centers until one of them finally sees the problem? It's so intermittent that this may be unlikely. Anyone know of any other options I have?
thanks.

Sk
Unregistered guest
I would be very interested in knowing replies to Kipp's questions from the audiophiles. More wattage is great but how much of difference does it really make when listening at normal sound levels?

Username: Sleepingbag

Clarks Summit, Pa

Post Number: 4
I keep hearing everyone complain about the bad quality the onkyo speakers have (especially with the subwoofer.) The Onkyo SKS-HT240 have good reviews and look like they have much better construction. They would be a nice alternative instead of the standard SKS-HT520 speakers. blah blah blah blah blah.......

Username: Jlandry_indians

Could someone please explain why the sks 240 is better than the sks 520. Which one will be better for a room that is 19X21?

NickMeta
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,
Does anybody feel that the HT-S770 is lacking the desired treble level? The system is great with high bass output, however, somehow I don't hear the crispness in the sound. The treble setting is not as good as I had expected it to be. There are lot of audio modes available and also bass and db settings, I wish something can be done to increase the treble. (I tried keeping the treble to +12, but reducing the bass to -12 does not do justice to the output) I have kept the subwoofer knob at medium position which gives enough throb. Can somebody help me with guidelines as to how i could increase treble keeping the bass and sub settings at average levels?

My another concern is about the front speakers. When I listen to them closely, the sound is sooooo feeble that it breaks inbetween. Only the center speaker seems to be strong at most modes. Does 130W output really go to each of these speakers? I changed the wires to 14 gauge, but no difference at all!!!

I am beginning to think that this HT is good only for dolby movies and not for music cds at all. What do you guys think?

Many thanks.

littlebit
Unregistered guest
Hi, After some listening, has anyone decided
if the 770 is worth the now $200.00 price
difference to the 760? I really want an Onkyo system,
but don't know which way to go.
$200.00 is a lot of difference.

Username: 1st61

I ordered HT-S770 and am waiting for it. A cc guy who told me to buy 100 feet monster cable to replace the cable with the system. according to him it would enhance the listening considrerably. I am not sure of that though the monster cable is so prestigious. I wonder if any real owner have ever tried comaring the monster cable with the original Onkyo cable. Is where any difference? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1616
Just get 14 gauge OFC wire, doesn't have to be Monster.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Is it OK to extend the cable? the cable came in the box is a little short for the Surround Back speaker. I either buy a longer one or extend it.

Username: Sandiego

My roomate has the 760 in our living room and it souns awesome with 16 guage wire from home depot. It doesn't have to be monster, anything is better than what it comes with. By the way, I have the 770 new in a box sitting in the back of my truck and I can't wait to hook it up in my room!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Why did you buy 770 while your roommate already has 760. Is it cool for you get another, maybe better, system to listen this and then that? I just got the 770 at home and still have not found time to calibrate it.

BTW, which gauge is the wire came in the box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Alrgiht. I just called Onkyo and was told the wire came in the box is 22 gauge. He wold me I can use wire from 22 gauge to 14 gauge. 12 gauge would be a little thicker and harder to plug into the back of speaker. Banana plugs can be used on the back or receiver. But he was reluctant to say how much improvment I can get if I go from 22 to 14.

Post Number: 2
1st61,
I got the 770 because the Kenwood system in my room sounds decent while watching movies at mediocre volume but pretty much sucks when listening to music. I was so impressed with my roomate's 760 in our living room that I figured since I was already planning on replacing the Kenwood in my room that I would pick up the 770.

Post Number: 3
Ok, got the sub from the 770 hooked up in my room and it sounds awesome. Not night and day better than the 8 incher included with the 760 but I can tell a difference. I would have the rest set up but I just had shoulder surgery so I have only one arm to work with and this stuff is heavy. Can't wait to get rid of the kenwood.

Justin1985
Unregistered guest
Sk, the 30 watt higher peak handling will theoretically add some more headroom to the system. At higher volume movie applications there should be a slight change in distortion levels. seeing as the 760 is already a really decent system as it is, the extra wattage is just icing on the cake, might help for those of you with larger TV rooms a bit. And the 10" sub will definitely push more air than the 8".
Im gonna try to pick up a 770 system myself next month if I can track a dealer down in Ontario. Ill be sure to post my thoughts and opinions after I get it.

Username: Haddadski

Post Number: 3
How do you guys mount these speakers (hts770) to the walls/ceiling? They only come with picture-frame brackets!!! I don't want to have to drill into the back of the speaker housing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I have always drilled in the past and that's what I plan to do today when I set up my 770. If you're careful you're not going to hurt anything

Unregistered guest
CC has the 770 in the 5 Hour sale today. $449.99 Plus free shipping. Ugh. I want one but I don't know if I should buy it. I want to buy a house soon and that's $500 less for my down payment. Does anyone think they'll go lower after thanksgiving or maybe even after x-mas? Talking to the CC guy about 3 weeks ago, he said that the 770 is their best seller. If they keep selling so well then it'll never come down in price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
they will go down when Ohkyo releases something better. As far as I know, the only new HTIB they have coming out in the next few months is going to be called the HT-s8 something and the receiver will be THX certified. The guy at Onkyo told me that was the only diff between it and the 770. He said the
8 series will have all the exact same specs (130wx6) and the same sub as the 770 but it will cost 1000 - 1100 dollars.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
To spend $500 more to get the THX only does not sound that good unless it can be justified by some evidence such as concrete data or your ear.

I bought it two weeks back and it's cool to watch movies. My only regret is it's not 7.1.

Azeiku
Unregistered guest
Can you tell that much of a difference between 7.1 and 6.1? I'm guessing you can tell a difference between 5.1 and 6.1 but I'm not sure about 7.1 and 6.1. Does 7.1 just add a second speaker in the rear? I'm a newb to this so be kind please!

I also had a quick question to owners of the 770. It has speaker A and B right? What's with the other one. B is extra speakers right? What kind of output and impedance does that have? So let's say I had an old set of Infinity RS Five speakers that have a 6 ohm impedance. Can I hook those up to the B port and use those for pure music to get better quality while listening to audio CDs? Will it blow or degrade the quality of the HT-R520 receiver if I hooked those up? Anyone hook up any decent floor stand speakers for audio with the 770's receiver? How's it sound?

What about Playstation 2 for the DVD player?

Should I start a new thread for these questions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
A lot of people say there won't be much difference between 6.1 and 7.1. Maybe. But right now there is no real DVD disc made for discrete 6.1 or 7.1. So it's not so sure what it would be.

You can use two sets of speakers with the HT-R520: speaker set A and speaker set B.
Speaker set A (HTP-520)
should be installed in your main listening room and can be used with Dolby Digital and DTS
surround material. Each speaker must be positioned at a specific location in your listening room to get the best from
surround sound material. The following illustration shows the best positions for your surround-sound speakers.
Speaker set B
can be installed in another room and used with stereo and mono material. Speakers can be positioned in
the standard position for stereo speakers or however you like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Also, you can not use both speakers A and B at the same time. I am about to get two outdoor speakers to hook up to set B. I just called Onkyo today and asked what kind of output set B would have. The guy told me it is the same as set A 130 watts X 2. He didn't mention impedance but he did say that you should not hook up speakers that handle less than 100 watts and even then you would be better off if they handled 130 watts or more.
Now on the issue of 6.1 vs 7.1. There are movies on DVD that support 6.1 discreet such as Gladiator, The Lord of the Ring Trilogy extended versions, Blade II ect... To get a list I think you can go to the DTS web site and look them up. I think that while a good 5.1 system is really all you need 6.1 setup is even better. 7.1 just adds a second rear center channel speaker. So, if you were watching a movie in 6.1 on a 7.1 setup the two speakers behind your head would share the 6th channel. If you had a big room I think that would be kind of nice just to widen the sound. One thing to keep in mind though is that unless I'm mistaken there are no Home theaters in a box that support 7.1 . So that means you will have to buy everything separately and it will end up costing A LOT more than say the Onkyo 770 complete 6.1 package. Good luck with everything

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 63
Actually you can use both A & B concurrently on the 770, but when both are engaged then the surround and centers are disabled and both speaker sets are stereo only.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
thanks Gene I didn't know that. I'm pretty sure on teh 760 you can't do that but not positive.

Username: Stalaly

I've been researching HTIBs and have found that, aside from specs, there is alot of subjectivity about what systems are "better" than others. Like most in this thread I am very budget minded but still want a system that will give me several years of good listening without having to drop more $$$ for an upgrad in the near future. I am a professional audio engineer but don't expect my HTIB to compare to pro gear for the price I $$ I have to spend. I am leaning toward the 770 ($450+/-) and the 760 ($350) but am leary of the speaker quality. It sounds like the 240's might be a worthwhile upgrade but I am afraid they might be too thin for music listening which constitutes about half of my usage. Also came across a good deal on the LSV-950 but have little info about it. The room I need to fill is not huge so output/power is not so much a concern fo rme as sonic accuracy and depth. I would like to keep myself under $500 and I need to get this set up this weekend while my wife is out of town so quick, cheap (or free) shipping is preferable. Unfortunately I live in the boonies so I can't really go somewhere to give a listen (not that I trust most retail listening environments anyway). Any input would be helpful.

grenedy
Unregistered guest
Just ordered a 760 refurb from Onkyo today. $339 total cost. Included speaker stands, 2yr warranty, $0 tax and $0 shipping. Just join the Onkyo Club for extra $10 off the refurb price of $349 (including extended warranty).

Ginads
Unregistered guest
Hi there, I just got a HT770 and the problem i am having is, I am not getting any other input other than PCM on the display. I have a Coax from my DVD player. I also tried playing DTS and Dolby Digital, but i still get PCM displayed and does not let me select any other thing. Can any one help me plz, I am really getting anxious about this.

Thank you

Username: Musiclady

Northridge, CA United States

Hi,

From reading all of the posts, i am beginning to think that the Onkyo 770 is a good deal. But, I want a HTIB for music and movies. that's why I looked in to getting one. So, how do CD's sound on the system? And, since you can purchase an Onkyo CD/dvd player for the system, has anyone used this for music as well as movies? Thanks for your help.

RAM
Unregistered guest
grenedy

Are you sure you didn't order the 670 refurb, rather than the 760? That is a very different system altogether (5.1 vs. 6.1, etc). They do have the 770 refurb for $349 -$10 if you join the club and a 2year extended warranty on that for $50.

You'llShootYourEyeOut
Unregistered guest
Ginads - Have you checked your audio out settings on your dvd player? Switching from pcm to bitstream may solve your problem

Steve P
Unregistered guest
Hi. Im new to this site. I've read a couple complaints that the front channels on th onkyo 770 aren't bright enough.Well I've been eyin the onkyo 770 and plan to get a pair of pioneer floorstanding speakers that could solve the problem. the speakers retail are $450. but thats bs because every store that has them sells them for $150 a pair and they have gotten really good ratings. the model# for the speakers is pioneer S-H453F-K. another suggestion if u buy these speakers is to replace your rear surrounds with the front cahnnels included with the onkyo system to open up the sound feild because the front drivers are larger than the rear. I hope i help sum1. thanks

Court H
Unregistered guest
Hi, I am new to the site and I'm looking to get some feedback on the Onkyo 770 rear speakers. I've played with the speaker distance/volume settings for the surrounds and have found their output to be slightly dissappointing compared to the rest of the system. Are there any additional ajustments that can be made to enhance their performance? I am using 16ga wiring, optical connection, with speaker settings at +12db for all 3 surrounds. The room is an irregular shape and the rear speakers are approximately 8ft off the ground facing inward towards the t.v. not each other due to their placement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us