Archive through February 24, 2006

SRC
Unregistered guest
Michael, Steve, just to update you on the 50v500 issue that is shared with your 50v's.
Warranty Tech arrived last week...turned on set, saw the purple red background on the dark scenes...and said...it's going to the shop.
Upon there, they called Hitachi, Hitachi told them they would send a new "memory chip?" out...should solve the red issue...
The part arrived and was installed...did not solve the issue...the warranty service center then told me...Light Engine needs to be replaced.
Back order time...
this reminds me of the Little engine that could, well this one can't !!!
Who knows how long this will take...and worse, what issue may be next, I have a feeling the 50v500 hasn't had enough history to it yet, to make it a totally solid unit.
I still stand behind Hitachi, they make a beautiful set...I understand this happens with new technology but it is still aggravating after one spends this much for a new set- Disposable camera's...now TVs? LOL
Keep up the faith...I still believe Hitachi makes a great product and will stand behind them...yes behind them, fixin 'em all the time...lol...
SRC

Bronze Member
Username: Tv_mike

Post Number: 23
Okay...It's been a busy week.
On Monday I called PC Richard Service again looking for an update. They basically told me that the Light engine was on order but there was no date on when they expected to have it. At this point I explained I was having people over for Thanksgiving and I NEEDED a TV. I explained that either they could provide a loaner or return my TV until the parts come in. The answer was basically that they couldn't do that. I asked to talk to a manager and was told that I should wait 48 hours for someone to get back to me. I told them I would call again the next day.

The Next day...
After more wrangling with the people that answer the phones, I finally got to speak with a manager, Steve McGrath.

Steve told me he would get me a hard date on the parts and call me back in an hour. 45 minutes later Steve called and told me that the part would be in around the middle of FEBRUARY??!!! He immediately followed that up with saying he understood that that was an unreasonable amount of time. He would issue a store credit for the full purchase price of the TV, Stand and Contract so I could get a new set as soon as possible.

Now I have to make a really tough decision.

1) Wait to get back the TV that I know and like and now have a understand how do a number of corrections on my own. Or...
2) Get new TV with newer technology (Cable Card, HDMI) but will I be able to get the same picture?

Well there was another factor I forgot about. The wife factor. She believes newer = better.
I went down to the store to look at my choices. They no longer carry Hitachi TVs. They said that they had problems with Hitachi from a supply standpoint.

So...here I sit, typing this in front of my new Sony KDF-E50A10.

What do I think? The picture seems to be as good as the Hitachi but, it does not have anywhere near the features the Hitachi had. Only time will tell.

I guess I won't have much to contribute to this thread anymore. Thanks to everybody for their insight and help.

Unregistered guest
Michael, sorry to hear about your 50V500 nightmare but it was informative to the list. You won't be bad off with the Sony KDF-E50A10, however. IMO all the Sony's have excellent pictures. But like you say, it's tough to beat Hitachi's user features.

Although my 50V500 is going strong at 4000 hrs I did notice an enticing ad today in the Circuit City circular. It's an Hitachi 50V710 (w/built in HDTV tuner)and matching Hitachi stand for $1699.99 ($900 savings). In the ad photo it looks exactly the same as my 50V500 w/stand setup.

Unregistered guest
I found this thread after searching for problems as it relates to my 50V500. I have had a red plum on my TV now for 8 months and did not realized that it was having an adverse affect on my color, until this weekend while watching a football game with 25 friends and family a blue strip (ghosting) appear across the top of my set (2" wide, and 2' long). This forced me to make adjustment and that is when I realized I had two problems (reddish/pink plum and a blue streak) any suggestionsas too the Blue ghosting, I could live with the Red/pink plum! Warranty expired 6 months ago.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
DZ,
Thanks. Though it was never more than an inconvenience. I was really surprised by PC Richard's offer and have to give them credit for above and beyond, albeit a little delayed, customer support.

Byron,
Don't count yourself out of the warranty yet. If you go back and start reading this thread from about the end of October, you will find that Steve Vance also was out of warranty and managed to get it covered. Please post the following in your next post. (See my November 14 post for why)

Serial Number-
Date of Purchase-
Hours of run time-
Problem Description- (Should be one Line)

I also explained how to get the service manual on-line back on November 2.

I think Hitachi is aware that they have some problems with the optical engines and, if you let them, will try and have you supplement their costs to get the issue corrected. If you got to the Rear Projection TVs area, you will a lot of threads related to problems with the rear projection LCD, DLP and LCoS TVs. It would appear that all the manufacturers had some problems with the first generation sets. This doesn't make the TVs bad. It's just a sort of growing pain that most new technologies have to go through.

My guess is, that you will wind up having to get the optical drive replaced. However, I believe that, at minimum, Hitachi will pick up the costs of the parts if not the whole bill.

Unregistered guest
Steve, thanks I will attempt to get it serviced at Hitachi expense.

Serial# V3J5009809
Date Of Purchase: 1 Jun 2004
Hours of Run Time: 2246
Problem Description: Red/Pink Fog & Blue Streak (Top of Picture)

spikedog007
Unregistered guest
byron,
I have the exact problem you are having (red cloud and blue stripe). I called hitachi a number of times and after having a service tech come and diagnose the problem (replacement of Light engine required), hitachi agreed to pay for parts and labor even though it is out of waranty.

My suggestion to you is to get on the phone with hitachi and start complaining, then keep complaining until they agree to pay for it. You may have to get the problem diagnosed aby a pro before they agree to pay for it though.

SRC
Unregistered guest
Update from previous posts, 50v500 Pinkish Bloom or Cloud visible during dark scenes or when screen is blank...
Called my local Hitachi repair dealer on monday morning...he told me the L-Engine was on back order from his parts distributor till 04/06, that's right April, 2006 - last week it was 02/06... I admit I was a bit taken back to say the least...lol...he said I should call Hitachi and get more info...they have my case # on file in their customer support dept. from weeks ago when this all first began. I called Hitachi and spoke with a customer support rep, and I explained how I felt and how the backorder on such a part was totally unacceptable and it is...that fell on some-what deaf ears...so then I requested to him that it go higher, he was very pleasant and transfered me to Hitachi customer relations, in which I repeated my concern of the 04/06 backorder time, he stated he was unaware of such a time delay, I could accept some of what he said, but as a consumer his answers did not put my questions at ease. He stated he would be in contact with me as soon as he found something out...this was Monday.
Today, I called my local Hitachi repair center back and they asked me what I had said to Hitachi...I asked why? He said the LE arrived last night and was being installed as we spoke.
I was glad to hear that, Hitachi came through as they did...but it also burns me up, I won't go into why but I think some of you would understand.
That's the update...hope this helps someone in some way...side by side Hitachi is still hard to beat

Unregistered guest
All, Hitachi has offered (2nd offer) to pay for the LE, and I pay the labor. Does any one have a roundabout idea how much time a local repairman should take to replace the LE. Contacted my local rep., states that he doesn't know! and want know until he gets into the unit.

Thanks in Advanced (BCM)

Bronze Member
Username: Hallen1007

Charlotte, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 33
I just bought the 50v710 last week, but now you all have me scared of it.Should I take it back and get the Sony KDF-E50A10 instead?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 538
Herman Allen quote:
"I just bought the 50v710 last week, but now you all have me scared of it.Should I take it back and get the Sony KDF-E50A10 instead?"

Yes, but not before you donate your light engine to the organ bank dedicated to us poor Hitachi owners.

Meanwhile I would urge you to call Sony's customer service hotline and test their willingness to help with a problem. I would give you the number, but it is unlisted.

SRC
Unregistered guest
Herman,
Before you take it back...can I have first dibs on pulling the working LE and lamp from it, I would like to keep one or 2 spares on my shelves for next years TV viewing...........LOL

Only kidding, Hitachi makes a great set...it doesn't matter which one use choose or which technology you go with RP-LCD,DLP,Plasma, next year there will be another one to come out to take its place...even better than the one before it (laugh)

CRT HD sets may fall a bit shy in some areas when comparing this old technology to the new...but I have a feeling they will be like the dinosaurs of HDTV...when they finally disappear, big and clumsy as they were...we will sit back and wonder how great a beast they truly were.

Herman, relax... you will get months if not year(s) of trouble free performance from your set. Extended warranty is the way to go for now....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
I have 30 days to buy the EW and will do so 2 weeks from now. The set looks great, but is anybody happy with these RPTV's? Good/happy posts are allowed on this forum!

SRC
Unregistered guest
Herman,
From all the research that I have gathered on these sets...they are really very good performers overall. I still think the picture quality of the 50v500 and later Hitachi models is superior to comparable brands in its class. My 50v's problems compared to how many of these sets were sold does not and should not cause you worry about the realibilty of your Hitachi. My case as well as the few others with the LE problem are a but a small % of the total overall Hitachi experience. Enjoy the set...you won't be dissapointed...I don't think. Just get the extended warranty and make sure it covers the LE cost and labor and you should be set. Hope this helps...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Herman,
I just switched to the Sony. If you've been following the thread you'll see that it wasn't completely my choice. I have had the set for only a week now but here are my impressions.

If you're planning on moving from the Hitachi to the Sony KDF-E50A10, be prepared to give up a lot of features.

Connections-
50V500
Input-1 - DVI or Component
Input-2 - Component
Input-3 - S-Video or Composite
Input-4 - S-Video or Composite
Input-5 (Located on the Front) - S-Video or Composite
Antenna A
Antenna B

KDF-E50A10
Input-1 - S-Video or Composite
Input-2 (Located on the Side) Component or Composite
Input-3 - Composite
Input-4 - Component
Input-5 - Component
Input-6 - HDMI
Input-7 -- PC connection VGA
CATV
VHF/UHF
Cable Card

Summary-
I feel that Hitachi is the winner here despite the fact that it has fewer connections. The Sony has HDMI but that but it's easy to buy an HDMI to DVI cable. The Hitachi has the right connections at the right locations.
The Sony could use more S-Video inputs especially on the front or side for camcorders. I would have liked one at the INPUT 2 and 3 positions. The only plus for the Sony is the cable card. (Actually, I've heard that could be a minus too.)

Picture Settings-
50V500-
Picture Mode Day/Night
Contrast
Brightness
Color
Tint
Sharpness
Color Temp (High, Medium, Standard, B&W)
Black Enhancement (Low, Middle, High)
Contrast Mode (Dynamic, Normal, Auto)
Auto Color
Noise Reduction
Color Management (Great stuff here if you like to tweak)
Auto Movie Mode (reverse 2:3 Pulldown)

KDF-E50A10
Picture Mode (Vivid, Standard, Custom) Similar to Hitachi Day/Night
Iris (Contrast)
Picture (Color and Contrast)
Brightness
Color
Hue (Tint)
Color Temp (Cool, Neutral, Warm 1, Warm 2)
Sharpness
Noise Reduction
DRC Mode (Creates High Resolution picture with 4X density. Not available when using 480P, 720P or 1080i sources.)

Like the Hitachi, these can all be customized for each video input.

Summary-
This depends on the person. If you like to constantly tweak and refine your picture, the Hitachi is the hands down winner. If you want it simple and straight forward (not a lot of choices) the Sony is the better choice.

Some other things you will not get with the Sony;
Picture in Picture
Channel Surf (I really liked that one)

I really wish I had these TVs side by side for a week. Everyone that has been to my house since I put in the Sony says they think it has a noticeably better picture than the Hitachi. My wife likes the Sony better as well. Me, I miss all the stuff I used to be able to play with. So, my feeling is, unless you are not happy with your current TV, don't switch. DO buy the Extendeded warranty and Do check back here frequently to learn what others are finding on their sets. By the way, I haven't told her about Sony's LCD "Road Map" or "Tracks" problems. I think that they've been resolved by now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Thanks for the votes of confidence fellas. I hooked up the tv this past weekend and HD looks great on it. My xbox 360 look awesome on it also. I do get the screen door effect sometimes, but it is not terrible. Blacks were a little like deep purple, so I had to turn the black level on to low setting. They look better now, and the out of the box color is not bad at all. I am getting that EW next week, but overall I am happy with it. The stand does not hold my MArantz 7500 reciever, so I may have to use my old Z-line stand.

Unregistered guest
Herman-
Glad you're happy with your new Hitachi RP-LCD. Reminds me of when I first set up my 50V500 26 months ago. I was awestruck by the brilliant picture and remain so today. BTW, I also keep my Black Enhancement on low (vs. default off). Seems just about right for black and not too strong.

After two years of use I am starting to see the infamous red cloud (faint-moderate) when I turn the TV off. Thus far I have not been able to detect the red when any input source is displayed--I've looked real closely on a number of different scenes and sources. From reading other posts I'm going to have to monitor this closely as the red cloud may become a increasing problem with time. I hope not.

On another note, I could use a little help from board members regarding HDTV. After two years of bugging Comcast they are finally initiating HD service in my town this month. It will cost only $5 more per month than my existing digital cable. I'll be getting it next week.

From what I understand, Comcast provides the HD cable box which connects to my DVI input. Any other options? What about non-HD cable sources? Is there another connection for Ant A or B? Anything else with Comcast HDTV and 50V500 I'd be advised to know? Thanks.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 544
DZ,
I am sorry you are detecting the infamous red cloud--if only as you turn the TV off. Let us hope this is not a harbinger of bigger problems to come.

At first, I tried to be a purist with regard to picture settings, but I have also decided that the best compromise is BE "Low". There is some picture detail lost in doing this, but the slight improvement in black level is worth it, imo.

$5 extra per month sounds reasonable, but of course that depends on what and how many HD channels you will get. I would be very surprised if your cable box's DVI output actually works. Mine doesn't. Standard procedure for cable company hook-up is to use the component output. But that may have changed. Let us know. I do not have Comcast so I am not the last word on this subject. I will say that the HD signal I've received on my Scientific Atlanta HD cable box via component has been very impressive for the last two years. (My 50V500's first day of operation was Dec. 10, 2003.)

Username: Jeffster

Post Number: 1
DZ
I have Comcast HD and it is great. Do yourself a favor and get the HD DVR box(DCT-6412) from Comcast.
The box has HDMI output that works on the newer boxes(you will need a HDMI to DVI cable).

The programs that are in HD format are something to see +++++.

DZ wrote:
"Reminds me of when I first set up my 50V500 26 months ago. I was awestruck by the brilliant picture and remain so today"

You will be awestruck by the HD picture as well.

Any other ? just ask

As far as the imfamous red cloud issue, I have had my 50v500 since 12/18/2003 and now with all this talk about it I also see a faint red cloud when I turn off the set but I don't detect it any other time.

Looks like you, John S and myself bought are sets around the same time.

Good luck with your Comcast set-up .... I have

Jeffster

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I am enjoying the Hd pictures on my 710, and now that I moved my chairs back the screen door issue is non-existant. I am using a Denon 1910 DVd via dvi-to hdmi, and pic is great. The stand for it is too low for my marantz 7500.

Blowinup13
Unregistered guest
I'm another victim of the red tint on the 50V500 set. I originally thought the problem was the lamp so I replaced it ($150 on eBay) and of course, that wasn't the problem (at least I have a spare now). So then I started Googling and found this forum.

I implemented the suggestions, "Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 07:24 pm", and this greatly improved my picture and resolved the red tint issue. I still don't think it's 100% though. It's freakin' 4:10am here so I'm going to bed. I will review the remaining settings sometime tomorrow to see if any other changes are needed based on the information from the service manual I downloaded.

These monkeys at Hitachi should be sending this information to all registered buyers of these units so we don't have to hunt it down and piece it together. I'll call them tomorrow as well and give them an ear-full just because I can.

If I ever get this fully repaired, I'll post any other changes on here to keep the information flowing for others.

Unregistered guest
B13,
Just to clarify...the red tint or pink-hued picture and the red cloud are two different animals.

I had the sudden red tint full-screen on all inputs about a year and a half ago...got it fixed with the code changes in the service menu and it hasn't reoccured since.

The red cloud or bloom in the middle of dark screen, which I'm starting to see at 4000 hrs, is more insidious and apparently not software related. From what I gather there is no cure for it once it gets overwhelming except for replacing the Light Engine. There was one post several months ago something about resetting the magenta deep in the service manual but it wasn't clear to me how it could be done.

Unregistered guest
Well after 2+ years of digital cable with my 50V500, Comcast HD service arrived this week.

Finally my Hitachi can be used to its capability. The HD is impressive, no doubt. Not only is the higher detail obvious at 1080i, but faces and figures almost have a 3-D effect in my perception. HD's Dolby 5.1 audio is terrific. People don't mention 50V500's audio much but I've always thought the set has great sound right out of the box with the dual 24-watt speakers.

Jeff B.,
Great suggestion on getting the Comcast Motorola HD/DVR box. http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
It did me a favor all right. This box has all kinds of user options and a slick remote, plus you can record two programs at once with the dual tuners. The entire HD/DVR package is only costing $10 more per month than digital.

Initially I'm just getting HD channels ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. No ESPN is a bummer, but with a
new HD build in my area more channels are supposed to be coming soon.

John S.,
Regarding connections, Comcast provided a heavy duty (and long) 5-component ribbon cable for
component video and L/R audio. DVI output was available, but I would have had to provide my own cable. I guess technically DVI/720p would be better than component/1080i. I tried changing to 720p out of the box with my component connection; got the same detail in HD but some green-tinted fringes in places. Looked like component couldn't fully handle 720p.

At this point the red cloud is the only lingering issue with my 27mo.-old 50V500, and even with that I'm trying not to let it rob me of enjoying this TV. Really it only shows up on the darkest of scenes and when the TV is turning off. There is no effect visible whatsoever on normal, full-color picture. Still, I'm wanting to believe somewhere, somehow there is a fix for the red cloud without replacing the LE.

GZ
Unregistered guest
I just started reading this forum and found all the posts are very informative. Thanks everyone for their good posts.

I bought my 50v500 last year on Dec. 26th (the boxing day), and have been a satisfied user so far until last week I found a small red spot on the screen. It's not as big as those "red plum" but it's notice-able when in dark background. I looked at it and it showed 2-3 pixels big.

Since my TV is still under warranty (well, only one more week left), I called Hitachi today. The CS rep gave me a couple of service centers names to call for a tech support.

I can't reach any tech until nexe Monday. Before I call them, I just want to ask if anyone seen this kind of "red burn-out" problem, and how does it usually get resolved? Is that anything to do with the LCD screen or light engine? Can it be fixed by running the service menu?

Thanks and appreciated any help!

JFA64
Unregistered guest
I can join the club. I have a Hitachi 50v500 that is 2 years old and it has the large "red spot" exactly like the picture that Michael Somers posted back in October. I replaced the lamp, no help. I called Hitachi and they put me in touch with a local service center. The service center is coming to pick up the TV on Christmas Eve. According to Hitachi, they are covering all the costs to repair it. Why do I have the feeling I will be watching the Super Bowl on a 19" TV? I will send an update once I have more information on the repairs.

nellie54914
Unregistered guest
We also have the red cloud, our TV is just under 2 years old (2 yrs in Feb). It started out only a few inches wide several months ago (once already out of warranty, of course!) and now takes up 4/5 of the screen. Very noticable in any scenes that are dark, then all you see is the big red cloud.

JFA64--how did you get Hitachi to pay for the whole thing that far out of warranty? Would love it if that was becoming common!!

wildcatfan
Unregistered guest
I'm in the pink/red cloud now too. I noticed it for a several months. Tech came by this week said LE needs replaced. I purchased a three year warranty back in 6/04 when got the TV. Sure glad that I did. I let you know what happens.

PISSED!
Unregistered guest
Damn! I got the red cloud too! Did'nt know it was such a huge problem till reading this thread. I bought the TV used about a year ago and started noticing the red cloud about 2 months ago. It is growing bigger evry week it seems. I'm probably screwed because I don't have a warranty cause I bought the set used.

Anonymous

Hey guys, Happy New Year

I got the 50V500 with around 2000hr on it, I noticed the pink ghost at the bottom of the screen and at the middle, I went thru the services menu LCD Adjust, but the background is red instead of white like a read here in the forum with a black box in it. Went Im started moving the black box to the pink ghost everything went fine, but when I went back to the menu, the menu was blury and the menu was like split or a word in top on another word

Any Idea

thepet
Unregistered guest
Another red cloud here as well. I got it after a year and a half (bought Jan '04), no EW. I bought the light engine, took about two months and it arrived last week. I am going to attempt (with a friend) to install it myself (with instructions from the service manual).

Anyone here ever try a self install? Any gotcha's I should be aware of? Appreciate any and all help. Thanks to all on this forum, good to know we are not alone. I posted some service menu solutions for non-cloud stuff a while back if anyone is interested.

thanks...

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 597
I've read every post on this thread and I don't recall anyone changing out their own LE. Where did you get it and how much was it?

I'll give you an "A" for nerve. Please give us a post-op report.

thepet: "I'm goin' in!"

thepet
Unregistered guest
Hi JOHN S. I ordered it from Tritronics (http://www.tritronicsinc.com) back in late Sept./early Oct. At the time, they said there was backorder (the queue at the time was 3, so I became #4). The part arrived last week after being told the ETA was late February. I paid about $500 (plus $60 shipping). There is a $200 rebate when I send the old one back. It is a refurb from Hitachi (actually it was drop shipped directly from Hitachi).

I will certainly post the results of the installation.

thepet
Unregistered guest
Hi JOHN S. I ordered it from Tritronics (http://www.tritronicsinc.com) back in late Sept./early Oct. At the time, they said there was backorder (the queue at the time was 3, so I became #4). The part arrived last week after being told the ETA was late February. I paid about $500 (plus $60 shipping). There is a $200 rebate when I send the old one back. It is a refurb from Hitachi (actually it was drop shipped directly from Hitachi).

I will certainly post the results of the installation.

mbort
Unregistered guest
thepet .. Please let us know how the LE replacement goes .. I am planning to call Hitachi very soon and see if I can get them to repair my 50V500...

FYI .. red cloud or boom that started small and almost unnoticeable 4 months ago, now takes up ~40-50% of the screen and noticeable when watching even bright scenes, and most recently images have started blurring and horizontal banding has shown up also. Some of these may be fixed through software fixes, but not looking good with the red "cloud".

I've had the TV since 11/03 and have ~4000 hrs on it, always been at least 1 foot or more from the wall on open stand so well ventilated in a non-smoking house .. we'll see if Hitachi stands by their product... and when I bought it they were still $3300

Username: Twitch

Covington, LA

Post Number: 2
I have a problem with my 50V500 as well. See this thread
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/discus.pl

Circuit City is going to replace the TV and wants to deliver a brand new 50V720 because the part is on back order for too long.

I am contemplating asking for credit and getting something else because of the Hitachi problem. Does anyone know if the 50V720's have the same issues?

Thank you,

Scott

thepet
Unregistered guest
Looks like the (DIY) light engine replacement is going to happen Saturday....JOHN S, mbort, I will post the results. Wish me luck and stay tuned.

For anyone interested, currently my 50v500 red cloud looks very similar to the picture posted earlier in this thread.

thepet
Unregistered guest
RED Cloud people...The light engine swap is indeed a do it yourself job. Completed this morning in just under two hours. A friend is needed. We followed the directions from the service manual (the last 15 pages) but these are a general guide. There are plenty of wire connectors that are not documented, and a few extra screws. The most difficult part is when you think you are close to removing the light engine itself. Be very careful to keep track of all the plugs, and watch the flimsy flat ribbon cable.

Remove the light engine (out the back, do not remove the last bracket in the back, just remove the screws and have someone hold it out of the way.). Once the engine is out, remove the lamp (2 screws), and install it in the new engine BEFORE you place the new engine into the TV (you can do it after, but it is easier this way).

Re-assembly is a pain, but if you carefully documented the steps (label the steps and bagged the screws), you can pretty quickly get it back together.

The moment of truth....we turned on the set and everything was perfect. The picture (minus the cloud) was excellent. There is no calibration or resetting of values in the service menu.

I will be sending back the old LE and getting the $200 rebate. Total cost for this was just the part (about $300 in the end), and lunch for my friend. I have the set two years and did NOT get the EW (which would be up on 1/29 this year). Broke even so far with no calls to Hitachi (yes, very lucky so far). My local tech (no visits, just phone calls, was friendly and assured me that this could be a do-it-yourself job.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 617
thepet,
Congratulations! This is great news for those of us who hold our breath everytime we turn on this set, for fear of the dreaded red cloud or some other problem rearing its ugly head. Thanks for the report. I'll look at my service disc again soon. I can remember seeing some diagrams showing a ton of screws to deal with.

One question, though--since the light assembly is user replaceable from the front, wouldn't it be easier to take that out first before opening up the back?

SRC
Unregistered guest
Update...
I had the LE replaced a few weeks back on my 50v500...everything seems to be working fine.
Very pleased with the fast response from Hitachi, but as I said in my earlier post...it was troubling also. Info, If you get the back order news from your service center...call Hitachi, state your case with Hitachi rep and tell them what your service reps are telling you, then demand to talk with the customer relations dept, not customer service. They will patch you through, state your case with the relations dept...state to them that a wait time for a part that exceeds 30 days if totally unsatisfactory! and it is if you really think about it. Hitachi will call your service center to varify what they told you on the back order issue...and like magic...you will get your LE within a week. I am not dogging Hitachi, there are some issues for sure...but don't be shy in telling them how you feel on an issue, you may be surprised that they do indeed care about these problems. So all you 50v's owners that have been told back order time till ??? call HItachi.
I do have a question, will post next.

SRC
Unregistered guest
Do any of you have your 50v series sets in a wall unit situation or custom cabinet? my ventilation question...
Do you think if I built a custom cabinet with additional cooling fans and had it ventilated to the central air handler of the house and fed by the AC handler so that when the AC ran it pumped in cold air in but also had a return air source that it would be sufficient to keep the unit cool? Any thoughts or working ideas?
Thanks,
SRC

thepet
Unregistered guest
JOHN_S: It doesn't matter if you change the light before removing the LE or after it is out. Probably easier after the LE is out and both are readily accessible, but it doesn't matter.

I have had the set on all day today (just saw the COLTS blow it) and it is perfect. Watching all my movies (Gladiator, Sleepy Hollow) that have alot of dark scenes.

The number of screws is maddening, but mangeable. Just take your time and document (and count) each step.

Username: Tomare

Hello, I've posted a problem with yellow and blue horizontal stripes on my 50V715 in the thread for the 700 and 800 series Hitachi's. I'm wondering if the problem I'm having has been seen here. See https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/182264.html

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 620
SRC,
Michael Somers in a post above had his 50V in a pretty tight alcove. I raised the question of ventilation to him then. He was sure there was no problem, but I'm not so confident.

Check the heat coming out of the back vent sometime.

I'm not saying his pink cloud problem was related to bad ventilation. I just wonder if restricting the air flow will raise the heat level of the lamp enough to shorten its life.

Maybe a couple of quiet computer fans in back would be enough.

thepet,
Thanks again for your post-op report. It may just become very handy to one of us in the future.

Tom R,
No, I have not heard of your specific problem. In fact, I have heard about far less problems with the newer sets that replaced the V500 series. Maybe Hitachi learned a lot in one model year. I know I did.

Username: Jim_h

Unfortunately, after 4200 hours of use, my 50V500 has now developed the infamous "red cloud" problem. The Hitachi authorized service rep is quoting $1451 (!!!) for a replacement LE plus $240 labor. I'm completely pissed about a $3400 TV needing $1700 of repairs after 2 years of use. After my first call to the Hitachi customer service line, they've only agreed to cover the labor charges, which is a joke, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not done talking to Hitachi about this yet, I'll post an update if they come up with a better offer.

Is $1451 a reasonable price for a new replacement LE? According the to service tech, rebuilt LEs are available at a much lower cost, anyone have any thoughts on the rebuilt LE vs the new one?

thepet
Unregistered guest
Jim, see my post a few entries back. I ordered a refurb. LE and installed it myself a few days ago. The picture is excellent (so far). No guarantees on any of this, but so far the process has worked for me.

Anonymous

The red cloud club!!!!! I got it to but waited 3 weeks to call it in for the hitachi 1 yr to run out and the circuit city extended to kick in hoping with all this back order crap they will just replace it. I already had the bulb replaced after 2000 hours and now this. CC is coming tomorrow and I'll let you guys know what he says. I'm just hoping to get this thing replaced with a newer model considering I have the 50v500 and not the A model since I only bought this thing 1 year ago. If they have a revised model they should pull the old one off the shelf and not let people purchase it. I wasn't too happy when I found out they had a revision way before I bought this one. We shall see what CC says. I'm hoping backorder and sorry we have to replace with a new model.
I'll post again after he comes and goes.

mbort
Unregistered guest
thepet .. thanks for the update. I will probably take the same route you did .. I'm always up for a DIY project.

Unregistered guest
Fellow RedClouders,

For those ordering a rebuilt LE, are you talking Hitachi Part JP06781 "LC37 DRIVE PWB ASY" which sells for $452 at several sites online?

At PartStore.com I'm also seeing "ENGINE ASSY" #UX22201 ($1257) and "OPTICAL ENGINE ASSY" #UX22201D ($1457).

I'm not going with the rebuilt do-it-yourself route just yet, still dealing with Hitachi CS and weighing my options. As one of the earliest buyers of the 50V500 in Sept. '03 I feel I've got some rights.

To my way of thinking I took a step of faith in Hitachi's new line of LCD RPTV's in 2003 especially considering the cost. I do not think it is acceptable that the original LE's on the 50V500's are becoming nearly universally defective with the red cloud after two years or less of use.

So far Hitachi CS has been cordial but not offering any more than free labor for LE repairs. I believe they should come up with some sort of class action policy for all registered 50V500 owners; either free parts/labor for LE replacement or offer substantial credit to upgrade to the later 50V line, the 50V710 (2004) or the 50V720 (2005).

thepet
Unregistered guest
DZ - Couldn't agree more. Personally, without an EW, and after reading all the forums, I felt I was sunk. Add to that the fact that I have zero luck returning anything or talking with customer service departments, I decided to try to buy the LE via the tritronics site and attempt the change myself. Net cost ($299 EW vs. $250 + my own labor), was going to be a wash so I went for it.

I bought my set at CC in Jan 2004 (mfg sticker in back said Oct 2003). The replacement LE I received had a sticker dated Sept. 2005. When you see this TV dismantled, you notice right away that the LE is the TV (no surprise). So far, so great. I consider myself very fortunate so far. Best of luck in your situation.

SRC
Unregistered guest
DZ and thepet

In my earlier post I told of my dealing with Hitachi and my results...
Their service reps are their first line of defense...you have stated your case with them, now demand to speak with someone in Hitachi Customer Relations...tell them exactly how you feel but do it exactly with the mentality you mentioned, you bought Hitachi on their service record and their technology...you took the step that many of us did by trusting their product. Put that to them and tell them that the LE issue is totally unexeceptable for a piece of technology that you paid top dollar for you were sold on that it would last for years, not just 2.
See what they say then...good luck...work with them, if customer relations doesn't help, ask for the next in line...don't give up. I could see if had 20 thousand hours on it, but 4000.
Remember, First it's customer service, then ask for customer relations. Good Luck.

Cindy444
Unregistered guest
Wow, am I glad I found this site!!! Thank you so much to everyone who has posted info about their problems and solutions! We bought our Hitachi 50v500 in Sept. 04. We have around 2000 hours on the tv and started having the infamous "red blob" about a month ago. The thing is now huge and takes up most of the screen. Thinking it was the bulb going out (based on info provided in the owner's manual), I went ahead and purchased a new lamp. I started doing some research on the net when that didn't solve the problem. And after reading through several pages of posts on various websites I felt emboldened enough to call Hitachi and let them know about my defective TV. Got little help from the gal at customer service who insisted she knew nothing of any widespread problems with this particular model...uh huh. I then asked to speak to Customer Relations. The guy there offered to cover the costs of any parts, but said I would have to pay for labor. At the time I thought that seemed pretty fair, but now that I think about it I'm steamed. He didn't argue about there being a problem with my set, so obviously he knows this defect is common. So now I'm thinking Hitachi should cover all costs involved, not just parts. What do y'all think? Should I be happy I got an offer to cover any costs at all, or should I call back and argue for labor to be covered too?
Thanks again and good luck to us all!

Unregistered guest
Cindy444,
You are right about Hitachi CS not owning up to the 50V500 red cloud problem. I've talked to three different CS reps this month and they act like they have never heard of the light engine defect I am describing. It's like I'm a lone ranger.

Surely they have had hundreds of calls from disgruntled 50V500 owners. Like SRC said above, CS reps must just be the first line of defense in dealing with the public. Clearly they are not technical or problem solving gurus...that's left for the next level(s).
Today at my request Hitachi CS provided me the name of the Director of Customer Relations at the Hitachi-America (Chula Vista, CA) headquarters. I intend to send written documentation of the 50V500 red cloud defect including photos from my own set. Having participated in this board for over two years I will reference the many informative posts from fellow owners. Thanks much to all and I will keep you informed.

nellie54914
Unregistered guest
Hey DZ--Could you post that address they gave you? Maybe if a bunch of us wrote in about it they might actually do something about it??

Unregistered guest
Here is the address... (for privacy I am leaving out the actual name of CR director)

Director of Customer Relations
Hitachi-America LTD
Home Electronics Div.
900 Hitachi Way
Chula Vista, CA 91914-3556

I do believe this is the best route to take, i.e. going to a high level in writing rather than trying to explain your way thru umteen people and layers over the phone.

Cindy444
Unregistered guest
Fantastic DZ! I will definitely be sending a letter.

Anonymous

Is anyone having problems with a cracking and popping noise. I have Time Warner Digital Cable and I am not sure if its the DVR Box or the TV. It will happen for a few days then be fine for a few days.

Frank P.
Unregistered guest
I have the DREADED PINK CLOUD!!!!!!!
Hitachi 50v500
Serial #v3k012***
Hours - 3210
Year purchased - 4/04
Year produced - 11/04
I just got off the phone with a fellow from customer service, I told him the problem, he asked if he could put me on hold, came back and offered to pay the labor to put the part light engine in the TV, I said no way, the part is 1500$ I will pay the labor Hitachi should send me the part, he said he couldnt offer more but would bump my request up to customer relations, they will call he said, I will keep you all posted on my situation!!! I am going to ask for a 50% discount on a new 55" plasma as a fall back position.

Frank P.
Unregistered guest
correction
Hitachi 50v500
Serial #v3k012**
Hours - 4800
Year purchased - 04/04
Year produced - 11/03

Herschel S
Unregistered guest
I purchased my Hitachi 50V500 Feb. 28,2005. 7 months later the lamp went out. Called Hitachi, waited a week for the tv tech to come out and replace the lamp. Shortly after the red clod appears and slowly grows until I can't stand it any longer. I called Hitachi Jan. 3,2006 and told them of my problem and what I thought it was since there was numerous complaints of this on the internet. I ask the person in the customer service dept if this is a common problem. Of course the answer was no. They told me to call the tv tech again abd make arrangements to have the set picked up. Tv tech picks my set up Jan. 9 and I'm still waiting Feb. 1. I called him today and he said the part was on backorder with an estimated delivery time of Feb.17 and it could be even longer. I really got upset. I told the tv tech this was unacceptable, he said to call Hitachi and see if they could expidite shipping. When I called Hitachi I told him that this was very poor customer service and why are they no parts available for this model since it is a common problem. I also suggested that Hitachi needs to recall this unit since there are so many problems. The rep said he was not aware of many problems. I told him he should check the internet it was not hard to find many disappointed customers. I also told him the salesman "where I bought the tv" told me I would get 30 years of service and only need to replace the lamp every 4-5 years, which I didn't think was bad. Of course he said nothing only that I should hear from them in a few days. I'm considering filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, perhaps it will stir someone up. They should not get away with selling such a crappy unit.

Frank P.
Unregistered guest
Customer Relations were very nice, offered to pay for the part, I pay the install, I think its fair so I went for it, I just hope I get more than 18 months out of this light engine.

Unregistered guest
WHEW!

just read every single post , july to feburary.

i am not a part of the red cloud club, but i am a part of my own club.

Im at work right now so dont have my serial number or any of that info on me, but i am experiencing a growing problem

I bought the 50v500 in i beleive June without an EW. And it has been wonderful until about a week back. I turned it on one day and noticed that almost all the shadows on any flesh tones are green instead of either grey or darker skin tones. Over the past week, ive noticed the greens get more and more pronounced.

Here is a picture! Everyone is radioactive!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/d81/Cynic821/?action=view&current=DSC02188.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/d81/Cynic821/?action=view&current=DSC02187.jpg
i checked the ghosting in the service menu, and it was fine. i did a memory initialize and factory reset, and all it seemed to do was fix my colors, cuz now the green is more yellowish that before.

the problem seems to be getting worse, ABC channels are terrible, cant watch lost.

I didnt find anyone on here wiht the same problem , only the pink problems. But then i ran across this:

"Regarding connections, Comcast provided a heavy duty (and long) 5-component ribbon cable for
component video and L/R audio. DVI output was available, but I would have had to provide my own cable. I guess technically DVI/720p would be better than component/1080i. I tried changing to 720p out of the box with my component connection; got the same detail in HD but some green-tinted fringes in places. Looked like component couldn't fully handle 720p. "

i dont know, somewhat a coincidence maybe, but its basically the exact time that i realized that on my comcast cable box, i can switch it from 1080i to 720p is when the green appeared.

is it possible that somehow, when i switchd the HD reciever to 720p, my greens were messed up somehow? But shouldnt the resetting of the TV have fixed this?

Ive since been back on 1080i and its still there. Also note that ive tested every input with multiple devices. (DVD player, Xbox 360 etc.) on all resolutions. Same thing.

Sin City is the worst. Black and white movie is more like black white and green. Its terrible.

Any suggestions at all? I cant even find my Effin reciept! lol, i need to look harder i guess.

Please help though.

Also my lamp hours was around 1900 when i first entered the service menu, then the next day it said 2100, then it said 4000, then it said 1700 . now its reset. wierd.

thanks alot!

Frank P.
Unregistered guest
You have the not so dreaded green ghost outline, easy to fix, its still under warranty so best to call the service guys, but if your into do it your self fix check out the directions for ghost removal, it applys to all color ghosts, no prejudice here, I had the green ones like yours. Don't let the service guy tell you its interference either, BOL, I am VERY HAPPY WITH HITACHI SERVICE PAYING FOR MY LIGHT ENGINE, I THINK ITS FAIR AND WILL BUY HITACHI AGAIN.

Cynic821
Unregistered guest
i fixed the ghost settings many many times. ive gone into those settings and have never seen a ghost in it. Im pretty sure its not ghosting, because i purposely added the ghosting one time to make sure.

ive been obsessing over this for some time now, when i tinker with the ghost settings i also have 3 people helping me to make sure my eyes arent deceiving me, and there was no ghost. :-(

i wish it was that easy. thats the first thing i checked

Frank P.
Unregistered guest
Hmmm, sorry didn't notice you had done that, well, I think some of the guys/gals might be able to help, seems to me that in previous posts adjustments to the color scheme require several other steps that are not necessarily apparent, BOL.

cynic821
Unregistered guest
bump. please : (

cynic821
Unregistered guest
ok, i ran some of the test patterns on it, and its pretty much on ALL of the slightly darker greys. Also at the edge of most whites, there is a 1 pixel thick yellow boarder. Almost always on the left side of the white.

This is nothing that i can fix in the ghosting though, ive tried.

anyone know anything?

Frank P.
Unregistered guest
cynic, I think you jinked me, I have developed the exact same problem along with a light purle haze on the left side of the display opposite the big pink blob. I feel its just another symptom of my defective light engine, I am just saying a little prayer that it holds up through the super bowl and the daytona 500.

Unregistered guest
Saw this piece on TV life expectancy in a recent issue of PC World magazine...

"Today, vendors rate the life of high-quality plasma TV's at 60,000 hours. That works out to more than 20 years of use if you watch 8 hours a day, 365 days a year; it's also about the same lifetime claimed for LCD's..."

Isn't that peachy. These new-generation TV's are supposed to last 60,000 hrs and meanwhile the 50V500's are overcome with the red cloud after 2000-4000 hrs, if not sooner. Time to fess up, Hitachi.

Frank P.
Unregistered guest
Well lasting 60,000 hours and having a quality picture at 59,999 hours is unrealistic. I would prefer advertising a scale which showed expected picture quality degradation over time, now that would be helpful. This is the best example I have found.

Plasma sets are initially brilliant, vibrant colors and have excellent contrast ratios. However, Industry experience (as reported to us at CES2004) has been to classify Plasma sets as having a "halflife" of about 10,000 to 20,000 hours. That means that in this period, the brightness of the set will degrade to half of the initial value. This phenomena results in a picture that is "washed out" or "tired" looking. This can be exacerbated by the setting utilized by the viewer in setting the maximum brightness, contrast, and color... "showroom floor" settings are on maximum to give the consumer a "wow" factor -- but manufacturers recommend that the owner reduce these settings so as to provide a softer picture which slows the picture degradation.

If your viewing is to turn on your set and leave it on 10 hours a day, in about 3 years you will reach the 10,000 hour level. Also, this "half-life" is not a sudden degradation -- you might start noticing a gradually reduced picture quality well prior to this arbitrary point

http://www.nextgenelectronics.com/plasmaissues.shtml

Cync821
Unregistered guest
Frank P.:

Ive noticed it as more yellow now, but people are still radio active. Ive turned down in COLOR MANAGEMENT, the yellow to like 35 and the green to about 43. it somewhat helps, but its still very noticable.

I made it through the super bowl fine, but still cant find my reciept to get a tech out, please let me know whats up, if you can find any help :-) thanks

Username: Quarlo

One of the best articles (series of articles, actually) I've ever read on display technology, especially as it applies to age-associated image degradation:

http://www.displaymate.com/ShootOut_Part_4.htm

Cynic821
Unregistered guest
The 50v500 is LCD "PROJECTION" not an LCD flat panel screen. big difference. the lamp life is what matters, and lamps only last about 5000 hours. But this is not a lamp problem...

dont know what it is, but we hopefully can find a solution.

oh, and sorry to jinx you Frank P!

lol, it sucks huh

plam613
Unregistered guest
Help me out here. I bought a 50V500 last February and absolutely love it. But I started having problems last week. This is my first post and I'm not real technically astute. I have the extended warranty from Circuit City but was trying to find out what I was up against.
The picture seems to be a little out of focus. The images as well as any number or letters on the screen seem to have a pink shadow ( to the left). There are red lines that run thru the set. You see them in the faces and especially anything white. During football games you notice them quite a bit running thru the uniforms. The lines are not consistent on the screen. They change depending upon the scene. They are consistent on faces they are always there lining the left side of the face.
Any heads up would be great.

Thanks!

Frank P.
Unregistered guest
Best News I have had regarding my 50v500, I just realized I bought the darn thing on my American Express for the reward miles, dang if they don't extend the warranty one year beyond the Mfgs warranty, I'm still in warranty so with Hitachi picking up the cost of the engine and AX picking up the cost of the labor I am getting my fix without out of pocket cost, boy the thing is going fast now, blue haze on the left side of the screen, praying it holds out till the daytona 500 is over, mister fix it man said its just another symptom of a terminal light engine. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL with these babys, I can't wait to get my picture back on track because it is quit remarkable.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 707
Frank, I knew AX had to be good for something. :-) That is great news, but now the real question is how long will the fix take.

plam613,
It seems to me that now is the time to test the value of that EW from CC. A simple convergence adjustment via the service menu may help with the pink shadow...but then there's those lines. If you are using cable for your signal, I would also have them come out and test their incoming signal to the TV. Good luck.

Frank P
Unregistered guest
I need a copy of the 50v500 warranty card which I HAVE MISPLACED for the AX warranty, I think hitachi will probably send me a copy but if someone could scan the 50v500 warranty statement and post it I would much appreciate it so that I can get my warranty claim going, THANKS IN ADVANCE YOU GUYS ARE ALOT OF HELP

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 708
Frank, I don't have a scanner, but I would be glad to mail you a copy if you like. PM me.

Username: Frank_p

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

John, you got mail! thank it will make life alot easier not having to deal with hitachi on that matter.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 710
Bob,
I don't think the private message system is working. If you want the warranty send me info at jsmither@wowway.com

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

Report from Mr Tech says a week to 10 days to get the light engine, we shall see, from the other posts on the board it seems like a pipe dream but dream I shall until the little engine that could arrives, thanks for all the help!

Username: Cinn

Dayton, OH

Hello
I have a problem, maybe someone can help. We have a Hitachi 50v500. It plays great well, it did until the other night. I let my son play his playstation for about 2 hrs. When he was done my husband turned it off. Well, I got up the next day and the tv will not come on, no sound either.
I dont know what they have done. My biggest problem is that our remote was lost when we moved about 3 months ago. Does anyone know if there is a reset button on the tv? Is there anything I can do to reset this tv without the remote? I dont know if he put in a lock code or what as it seems like the tv buttons are doing nothing. I asked both of them what they thought happened and they both were like nothing! lol
We had this problem about 3 weeks ago, I unplugged the tv for a few hours, when I plugged it back up it came on fine. I tried that yesterday several times but nothing happened. The blue light for the power stays on when I turn it on but thats about it. Help! lol
Any Help is appreciated.. Thanks

Cynic821
Unregistered guest
Your Lamp may be out CINDY. Also, you should call hitachi about obtaining a new remote. its the best remote around none the less :-)

let us know how it goes. make your husband get the lamp off ebay for like 150 bucks and have him replace it.

wish you the best of luck :-)

Unregistered guest
I want to thank you all for this info. I have the blue cloud that some of you are having. Armed with the info that this site provided, I called Hitachi and told them that I didnt want to go through 10 steps to get them to cover the light engine. I saw that it is a farly common problem on the internet and I want to know that they will cover it before I call a service technician. After some short conversation , he stated that he would fax authorization for all parts to be covered, I would only have to cover labor. I think its as good a deal as I am going to get. This was the first layer of customer service, so it seems that they may be more willing to fix the problem now then the experince that some of you had.

Cynic821
Unregistered guest
You shouldnt have to pay labor either. You saw that alot of people got around that too! Dont subject yourself to the "crooked mechanic" type rates the service tech could charge.

its a big risk.

but im glad everyone helped you, ive found much comfort in this thread as well!

Anonymous

Cindy - when the blue lamp is on, can you hear the fan running? If so, the Input, i.e ANT, VID1, etc. might be set to an inactive source.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 716
Cindy,
I was going to suggest the obvious from anon's post above, but I figured you knew to switch from the game input back to your regular input the next day.

There is no "reset" mode on this TV. If there's any sort of problem with the lamp, the "LAMP" LED on the TV is supposed to come on, or blink.

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

Post Number: 3
Brian, nice to see they took care of your problem quickly, I got the same kind of deal on my 18m old unit last week, I did have to speak to a person in customer relations but to be honest I could hardly tell her the problem and she was saying the authorization for the parts will be faxed to the tech guys. I was told a week to 10 days for the parts, I will check on monday and see if there is any news on their arrival and post the results.

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Good NEWS, my light engine came in 2 days ago, I got a call from the tech guy and he is coming out this afternoon to replace the little devil, I asked how it was that the part came in so fast, he said he got it overnight express from Hitachi because he ordered a new unit instead of a rebuilt one the new one was $1295.00 his price, he said Hitachi is paying so he went for the new one, he said the rebuilds take months to get in as they are half the price and thus the ones most people order when Hitachi isn't picking up the tab, IF ANYONE HAS ANY requests for me to ask the tech about the tv Post up a msg and I will do my best to pick his brain, he is very familiar with these Light engine replacements as he is the only Hitachi authorized service guy within 100 mile of where I live, I will post up after the fix is complete regarding installation costs and any reco's the guy gives me.

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

Post Number: 5
Today keeps getting better, John S. received the info you mailed, thanks alot, you will truely be rewarded in heaven or at least and easier job in the other place if things turn sour but some how I think thats unlikely, THANKS FRIEND!

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

Post Number: 6
Well the fix is in place, changed out the lamp as well given that I had a new spare sitting around in anticipation of it going at a critcal moment, WOW, now I remember why I bought this set, the picture is truely like new, watching the twin 150's from daytona, magnificant, was told that THE CC warranty had only been permiting rebuilt light engines for their repairs, as of yesterday the tech said they are now authorized to buy new engines from hitachi under those extended warranties because of the huge delay, he said he is replacing 50v500 and 60v light engines like crazy but has not replaced a replacement yet so maybe the fix is done right, I asked him about a problem someone said they had with their new plasma having a carry over of the pic to the next station for a few seconds, that seemed odd to me, he said its a voltage regulator problem that should be fixed, the set really looks good THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED ME AND OTHERS, I will post from time to time to keep touch. BOL

Username: Jmsmc58

I too have the red cloud, with my 50V500. just called Hitachi customer relations, she said she has no record of any problems with the light engine. Said they will not help with any cost of repair, on a tv out of warranty. How are you guys doing it? I was nice, but told her I knew different. Still no go.

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

Post Number: 7
James, I would give it another go, everyone on this board has been offered a replacement new light engine which is a $1295.00 part, make sure you ask customer service to have a customer relations person call you back, be prepared with your receipt, serial number and date of mfg from he rear of the set, mine got the new engine on thursday and it is now SPECTACULAR. Best of Luck! I found Hitachi to be pretty classy regarding the problem, but then again I never tried to get them to admit it is a major problem with all sets.

Anonymous

I am to having the same red-cloud issue on my set. THought is was me and the settings on my units. After reading the threads, I realive its a manufacturers defect. has anyone won this issue with Hitachi?

Username: My401k

PSL, Florida

Wow, this site is great for info. I also have begun to have problems. Mostly with with colors going haywire and cannot adjust back to normal. Some say it's the lamp, others say LE. Just ordered a replacement lamp off of ebay ($100) to try, and if not, not sure if I will invest to replace the LE, when the cost could go towards something newer and more reliable.
Model 50V500
Manuf. Feb. 2004 Serisl V4B0119935
Purchased March 2004

mbort
Unregistered guest
Frank P .. what did you tell them? I also got a no-go as did James, that they would not cover anything and they could not offer any help. Red Cloud is getting worse, so bad that its blurring the image and I can't even watch it anymore.

Username: My401k

PSL, Florida

Update: Well, I downloaded the service manual from post above and followed the memory int. reset, and BINGO! All went back to normal. I cannot explain why the tv went out of tune, but all I can say is "whew". I guess I did end up with an extra lamp, (for $100) from ebay seller, but thats cheap insurance since they will be prone to go out anyway! Thanks to all on this site for the incredible info. you provide, it has really saved a small fortune!

Username: Cwe_rph

Here's my sad story with a happy ending:
11.26.05 Service tech visits - red cloud - light engine on my 50V500. It's still under extended warranty. Right on my receipt, he writes "5-10 biz days". Taking Tums for heartburn.
12.10.05 Haven't heard anything, called the service company. Part isn't in yet, call back tomorrow. Taking Prozac. Very calming.
12.11.05 Called back, part wasn't ordered for a week after the service tech was out, but these light engines are hard to get. Hitachi isn't making new ones (curious about the message above that the service tech claims he got one in two days because he ordered new, not refurb), so they have to wait to get an old one to rebuild. Could be 1-2 months. Taking Valium. Sedation is great.
12.23.05 Decided to go to the chain store where I bought the thing to beat on the salesman two days before Christmas. They couldn't help but called the service center. Service center will call back within 24 hours. Yeah, right. They never called. Of course. Taking Thorazine for my psychosis. Oh, wow. Look at the pretty red color.
1.20.06 Really seeing red now. almost all the time. Especially when the picture is dark. Called the service company. Still no light engine. Called the company who hired the service company - did I mention that the retailer sold its service contracts to a national company? They were very sympathetic. Said they would call right back. Lithium levels are almost in the therapeutic zone.
1.21.06 Called Hitachi. They wanted to know what a light engine was. They said they weren't making new ones any more. They said they would call the supplier and find out what the problem was. Said they would call back later. Switched from Thorazine to Risperdal. The red isn't nearly as pretty, but I can walk a straight line. Mostly.
1.27.06 Called the service company. Hitachi shipped a light engine for the wrong model. Of course. Couldn't sleep so I tried Ambien CR. Woke up two days later, feeling happy and wondering why I was so upset. Red is a beautiful color. No med changes, but watching my blood pressure.
2.4.06 Called the service company. Told the light engine was being "expedited." I asked what that meant. Told me it meant it was fast. Really fast. Step 1 bp med is a thiazide diuretic, which messed up the lithium levels. Feeling a bit off.
2.6.06 SERVICE COMPANY CALLED. Whoopee. Finally. They will send someone right out. First available date: 2.22.06. The end is in sight. Medications are slowly no longer necessary.
2.26.06 My tv is fixed. and it only took 88 days. That's not unreasonable, is it?

By the way, the part cost $286 on my invoice, and the whole repair was $587.

Very thankful for good pharmacy coverage.

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

Post Number: 8
mrot, I explained the large and growing red blob to the customer service person, I explained that the set was 18 months old but I understood that alot of folks have been having LE problems and I THOUGHT they should do something to correct the problem, like many have reported they place you on hold to speak to their supervisor, they then offered me free installation of the part, I TOLD them I was aware A NEW LE was 1295$ and the labor was about 250$, I told the fellow that I WOULD PAY THE LABOR if they picked up the part, he said he wasnt authorized to offer that deal only customer relations could go that far, they said they bumped it up and I WOULD get a call. I gave them 48 hours and with no call I called back and asked for customer relations, I began to explain the problem again when the lady stopped me and said they where willing to send the part to my authorized Hitachi dealer and I would pay for installation. NEW LIGHT ENGINES COST 1295$ I SAW THE INVOICE FROM HITACHI, rebuilt ones cost much less depending on who does he rebuild and what is put in the rebuild, I KNOW the new light engines have the fix in them to prevent premature RED BLOBS, BEST OF LUCK, I WOULD KEEP CALLING

Username: Cwe_rph

My service tech told me he has replaced at least 50 light engines on the 50V500. He has always, as far as he knows, used the refurbished parts. He has never had to go back and replace it again, so whatever they do in the new ones they must also do in the refurbished ones. My picture is back to spectacular, and despite the hassle, I am once again fairly happy.

IF there is a next time I don't plan on being nearly as patient.

MOUNTAIN TOP, PA USA

Post Number: 9
John S, I got my refund of the labor charge on my light engine install today, Thanks again for the help, CARL, Congrats on the fix, I am back in love with my set the pic is outstanding, I think the only difference between New Engines and Rebuilts is simply availability and of course Price. Hitachi authorized my Hitachi tech to get a new one so it only took a day to come in, best of luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us